Heroes: New Time Slot, Same Ol' Sh*t

Heroes moved from 8pm to 9pm this week in an attempt to save it from routine ratings slaughter by House, which airs at 8pm on Fox. But while the new time slot may have temporary alleviated the hurt, such a change can only do so much.

Monday night was just another chapter in the Encyclopedia Britannica-sized history of dull Heroes episodes. Hiro and Ando broke their old friend Mohinder out of an asylum and then did a bit of time traveling, Matt Parkman struggled with the decision of whether to help fight bad guys or make ratatouille for dinner, and Peter Petrelli pulled an overly dramatic stunt that involved smashing a deaf woman's cello. I was simultaneously bored to tears and outraged that Heroes, which once showed so much promise, has taken such a precipitous nosedive. This season's story line is seriously lacking: There's no threat of imminent apocalypse, and the delicately woven subplots of yesteryear have been replaced by clunky, easy-to-follow stories and performances that rival stand-ins on Days of Our Lives.

Like most recent episodes of Heroes last night's was all over the place. The only glimmer of hope came at the very end, when we got a sneak peek of next week's episode—and saw a brief flash of Sylar looming over ex-innocent Claire before diving in for some tongue gymnastics. (Do I see angry, broadcast-appropriate sex in the future?) So there's a little excitement up ahead, even though it's likely another cheap trick (a la Claire's lesbian lip-lock) that will leave me feeling dirty and unfulfilled.

I will say that the one thing this season's got going for it is ex-agent Noah Bennet. His scenes may not be particularly scintillating, but he at least can see the forest for the trees. There's no time for self-pity; this is a war he's fighting. Occasionally, Matt Parkman or Peter Petrelli will hop on board and help out for a little while, but in the end Noah is the only one with a sense of urgency. Sylar's still out there folks! And now the carnival people? I could take acid and imagine I had powers too. It'd probably make for a better show.

What did you think of the episode? Were you as bored as I was? Can anything save Heroes at this point?

Follow TV.com writer Anna Hiatt on Twitter: @AnnaAtTVDotCom

I quit watching Heroes when Season 4 started to kick in. I watched one or two episodes, and I really had it with the series. It's the same all over and over again.

Instead of giving plausible ends to old story strings, they just add new ones in a rather dull way.

Besides... why is it still called "Heroes"? None of the characters still is a hero. All of them done VERY unheroic things.
i don't know... Heroes still rocks in some points, but in others, it looks like we're seeing the same thing, over and over. Anyway, at least Samuel is an a good character so far, unlike Sylar, who still is the lamest villain ever in a series of this kind. Let's just hope that in the near future, we get to see a couple of more episodes with more action in this series.
For a while I was worried about being 5 episodes behind on Heroes. Guess I was wrong.
I just read a comment Peter lost his powers, wow that will suck.
Yeah I'm a Lost, Fringe, Heroes, Firefly type of TV watcher. It challenges your brain much more than AI & reality, I hate that crap so Heroes has potential & I hope it gets a 5th & 6th Season. I'm catching up on DVD's & DL Frostwire cause I never watched it cause of work. Samuel is an intersting character so far another good/bad in that grey area.
Claire is too whiny & I'm sick of Syler not knowing who he is good/bad make up your mind. I only finished through Seas. 4 Ep. 3 Ink. I liked it but I'm bored with Hiro going to the carnival but not wanting to change time, bla, bla.

I think Peter should hook up with good syler & fight crime. I'm in the minority I guess but love Peter & the actor Milo, got a major crush because he's a vegan.
episode quality, your synopsis - RUBBISH, as with following CULT style of tv for the last few years aka Lost,NCIS, X Files & any other tv show of the last 10 years, patience thats your issue with this series...give it time, I got bored of Heroes, but very much back in love with this now!!!
The sad thing is Dragonball has more interesting characters than Heroes. Given the fact that it is a cartoon and was made in the 80s, the Heroes writers should be very ashamed of themselves.

I personally do not care whether the Heroes characters live or die. The writers have made them so one-dimensional that the viewers get tired of them after one season.

And with characters capable of immense destruction, nothing really happens with each episode. It feels like the whole season is just a filler for the final episode.
I'm with Gaspode on this. I really believe that Sylar needs to evolve into a Vegeta character. But not just randomly, there needs to be a reason for him to do so. Season 3 ( I think it was) sort of tried in a clunky manner by claiming that Sylar was Peter's brother. This time around, they need a better reason for Sylar changing sides, he needs to do it for himself. For instance, in the Vegeta example, Vegeta fights and protects the world, including his greatest rival, Goku, all because he wants to be the one to kill him. Sure as time goes on, his motives change, but his initial motives stay true to his character. He is doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, to satisfy his pride. Sylar needs a similar reason for becoming good and then slowly overtime (if this show gets another season, which NBC would have to be on crack to give it) he can start doing good for the sake of being good. Personally, I stopped watching Heroes after "Shadowboxing" because I have had 3 seasons of nothing but crap, and I realized that I was being a fool and wasting my time. Ever since the end of Shadowboxing, I just have my friends watch it and tell me if it's improved, although im not holding my breath.
I totally agree with Gaspode. Sylar should have been the "good bad guy" since season 3 now. we saw it in the future and sylar& peter against a new evil would be more exciting. and please, if you kill a character in the show, dont bring them back EVERY time. how about some new evolving in the show and not every season the same thing...?
I don't understand why people want Peter to get his powers back. The stupidest thing Heroes did was owerpowering his main character, to the point no one (not even Sylar) could stand up to him.

What I would do: Kill (or put in a temporal coma) Peter, throw in a new big bad (Samuel works for now) and let Sylar be the antihero he deserves to be. Everybody who watches this show loves Sylar, why not let him save the day for a change? Let him be this series' Vegeta, saving the world and being kind of good, kind of bad.
I agree the best part of latest episode from Heroes was the preview of next week's episode with Sylar kissing Claire. I'm bored with the same old story for Parkman, he has become so boring. Just like Peter, too much of a goody-goody! Noah is the only exciting character now. Heroes could have so much storyline, what's wrong with this writers??? It's been 3 episodes already and nothing I mean nothing has happened.
Please make Heroes what it was or it's gonna end soon!
The big problem with Heroes is that they drag things out to much. We all know Magneto ... er Samuel is basically gathering people with abilities to make him stronger because he is going to use his power to break off a chunk of north america to be their new "home". This is the big reveal they think their going to shock people with but its pretty. Get to the end of the storyline and start a new one. These arcs should last about 6-8 weeks and move on with a bigger plot that can loom over a whole season, in the way season 3 did.
really... wow the writers that have made this story. must not know how to read..... i bt seeing it gotten worst after the first 2 ep of this season
i thought it was a great episode...
heroes is deadly !
the guy who did this is a jackass
Season 4 has been miles better than season 3, so far... but that's not saying much. Season 3 was a hit-or-miss season(with mostly misses) but season 4's most boring episodes are still watchable in the least. I was extremely impressed early on in the season but now that this carnival crap is becoming the root of everyone's story then I'm finding myself less impressed. Emma is an amazing addition to the cast, though. Possibly the best newbie on the show since Elle. I don't get all the hype surrounding Noah... he's been doing the same thing since season 1. Where's the range in his plots? He lies and kills to protect his family. WHOOOOO!!!
Popularity doesn't necessarily equal quality.
I never understood why everyone was raving about the carnival storyline. I suspect it is merely because Robert Knepper has a ROLE in it, not because it's any good. I'm bored with the carnival, and I wish something would happen. When was the last time we got any NEW information about the carnival? That mattered? We knew from the start that he's looking to build a life for everyone and that his brother is dead; then we found out he killed his brother. End of mystery. Let's drone on for 12 more episodes to fill up space.

I really wanted to love this season, and I did at first. Now, I just want Tracy Strauss to come back. That's one thing they've never been able to do (balance out the characters that appear from episode to episode). *sigh*
buildam2005 Posted 01/13/2010 12:36:03
The reason the staff disagrees with people's ratings is because unlike 80% of the population, they know what is and isn't good television. There are a lot of people on this site that wouldn't know complex tv if it smacked them in the nose.

--------

Doesn't matter, if the majority of people liked it that makes it a good episode whether a few people blogging about it hate the show or not.
I only watch Heroes to laugh at how bad it is now. Sad thing is, Heroes COULD be fixed, all they have to do is give Peter his powers back, kill off some of the cast, yet expand how many characters get scenes in every episode. Then pull the heroes away from each other again. The climax of season one was when they all got together in the end, now they call/teleport to each other every single episode and do stuff that seems pointless when it comes to the larger scheme of things. They also need to start killing off more characters and introduce new ones when appropriate, it seems like they're keeping some of them around just because they like messing with the actors.
You know, I constantly notice that the TV.com staff writers do not share the same opinions as the viewers of each show. Last Monday's Heroes episode has an 8.9 out of 10 rating by the users, but TV.com is quick to say that it was a terrible episode.
No need for name calling, we are all fans... This was not a great episode at all though... it was too drawn out and had too many calm moments. Okay, Mohinder was rescued and Peter broke a cello...wow wee... Like I said in my review, hopefully these last few episodes are the calm before the storm... I doubt that Heroes risks being canceled, but I do believe it has so much untapped potential. It needs more visits from the future, or at least tie into the storyline the appearances from earlier seasons of future Hiro, future Peter, future Claire and future Sylar. How long will Hiro and Peter be crippled? Fix them and let's get on with it. Looks like the writers are headed in that direction in the case of reuniting with Mohinder and giving him his strength back. I don't like Samuel as the ultimate Magneto-type super-villain. Sylar scares me way more, even though Samuel can move the world... we all know they are going to team up and destroy Samuel, then it's back to Peter vs. Sylar...
No you idiot! I sure wasn't bored as you were.. Its the exact opposite.. No imminent danger.. What do you call the earth splitting in half then (Samuel)
Claire has to stop acting like a normal teenager who goes on experiencing with everybody and everything. I mean she is the only one who knows how to get to Sylar. Samuel shouldn't just go and kidnap some woman who doesn't want to be there, I mean he has Lydia what more do you want :P

Noah is the one who knows how to do it, getting it on with a woman, he deserves some little attention from someone, he does his job properly. It would be fun if his flingy Lauren turns out to be a villian, I'm just saying he is the one that doesn't trust anybody it would make a better storyline and maybe some action.
oh.. i got to laugh so much on that episode.. ''smashing a deaf woman's cello.'' loool XD and a scientist + crazy timetraveller + electric man on drugs trying to escape from a madhouse.. haha!
So my point : enjoy what u get and don't whine so much :)
wow there was alot of whining in this article , i mean seriously? the episode was good btw..
What i would like to see in Heroes: Matt Parkman should become a villain. Killing his wife and son will help this process. Hiro must heal once and for all, Claire should die right now without telling why to the audience. Noah Bennet is right where he needs to be, and the death of Claire would make him crazier. Sylar needs to struggle a little more with his future then start the hunt again. Peter should get all his powers back and fight Sylar. And please stop killing great villains as Linderman, Arthur Petrelli, Danko (a dark Bennet cool!).
Ii just follow the series because of Sylar and Bennet. Hiro and Ando make the funny side and i usually like what they do. And iam waiting to see if Peter gets the full use of is first power. Samuel Sullivan is also cool. The rest i dont really care and bores me a lot. What are the writers doing? Dont they read forums or critics?
Only episodes ive liked so far is where sylar is in, after he got his body back. The rest is just dull imo.
I'm so bored this season. It's not that it's bad, just boring. And I'd rather have bad but at least exciting over not bad but boring.
"No threat of apocalypse" ? Well, that's a plus for me, I was SO sick of the end of the world on Heroes ... And ... "delicately woven subplots of yesteryear" ? Please tell me you're joking, if you're refering to volume 3's narrative mess. I prefer this year's slower pace, even if, it's true, it's sometimes boring ( but not that often ) . First half of season 1 remains the best, by far.
I could probably write a better show right now if I tried. The storyline has severely deteriorated. But I'll tell you one thing; give Peter back his old powers and kill Sylar and I will definitely love the show again. Sylar has been the villain for too long...what he stood for (taking ppl's powers and killing them) is no more... Also, it takes a good writer to make transitional episodes exciting....look at supernatural...not every episode is the main plot (angel and demons apocalypse battle)...but the writers keep us interested in the show... If heroes writers could write like them, they would keep us interested in watching every episode and not keep throwing stuff from volume 4 and 5 at us (i admit, Heroes was good up to Volume 3 when Peter lost his original powers!)
oved the episode man
i loved 'close to you'
thought it came out relatively well. i woulda liked me some tracy though..hate how she disappears. hate the title of ur article..cuz this episode was better than the two hour one. by far.
I like my heroes dark ...
Sadly the show is much eye candy for me now as well thanks to Peter and Sylar but eye candy can only go so far...I hold out the false hope that maybe it will return to prior and once implied awesomeness. Even at its worst though it's still better than a lot of crap on tv...
meh, was unimpressed with the show last night. kinda just want the team to get together already (ie Parkman, Suresh, Ando, Hiro, Peter, Claire, and HRG) and have an all out brawl a la X-Men against the Carnies. Granted we're still half way in so that doesn't look like a near possibility.

I'm only watching the show for Claire now.
I heartily concur that the first half of last season was mostly ham-fisted (aside from the premiere and final episodes), but I've really enjoyed this season, and this episode is no exception. I LOVE these episodes where the characters drive the narrative rather than some imminent and obvious earth wide decimation (i.e Seasons 1-3, not that it was bad in the first two seasons, but kinda got stale in the first half os season 3).
You know what? I am so sick of people complaining about this show. Heroes has had its ups and downs, but this episode was exposition. If people weren't so down on Heroes all the time, an average episode wouldn't seem like the end of the world. This was simply setting it up for next week's episode; nothing more. I thought it was fine and may have been nothing special, but, if you recall, not every episode of season 1 was amazing, on-the-edge-of-your-seat and full of fight scenes either. Maybe if people like you would just give this season a chance, it wouldn't turn out to be so bad. But because of season 3, people are so judgemental about things which, had they been in season 1, they would have raved about!
I'm sick of all of you HATER'S

If you don't like the show don't watch it, plain and simple

It's building up to something great and if you choose to tune out now it's your loss.
Starprincess13

You obviously don't have a clue as DVD sales from Heroes is in the Millions $ each and every year, the producers have said the show will not be cancelled
glad i misses it..i decided after last weeks dual episode i finally put this show to be RIP Heroes. You so disappointed me!
I reluctantly deleted my season pass after Christmas when I was dreading having to watch the latest episode. I stuck it out all through the beginning of the season, but when watching a show becomes a chore instead of an anticipation, it's time to let it go. It's only the thrill of the first season and the fact that I still like some of the characters that held me this long. It's directionless, and frankly tiresome. This show had all the right elements to become iconic and has just frittered it away. It feels like they started with a great idea but did not plan far enough ahead for success, so when the original idea wore out, they had no idea where to take the show. Without a plan the show is lost, and not in a good way. It made all the mistakes Lost made and then all the ones it avoided by setting an end date (though it remains to be seen if that show is going to deliver-it's going to be hard to live up to the hype, but I at least still want to watch to find out). I think this show has gotten so far off track there's no saving it. If there's some great plan that will finally bring the show together, I see no evidence of it, and I just can't wait around anymore.
i watched the beginning and the end when hiro popped into that apartment-.-
I only now I love Noah.
Give Peter back his powers and let him go on a revenge hunt and then take Sylars ability of IA and go rampage.. killing everyone in his way.. This wouldn't be a really for filling storyline but it would be really entertaining I think ... :D
I didn't watch last night's episode, in fact I have not watched the show since early on in the season. Heroes used to be one of my favorite shows, however lately they have lost the magic that made the show exciting in the first place.

How would I save the show? Well to be honest at this point it might be too late. However, if we assume it is not. I would do four things to fix this show. 1) Focus on character growth. I look back at the first season and I remember how cool future Hiro was. I look at Hiro now and he is no closer to getting to his future self. A lot of stuff has changed around him but I don't feel that he has changed. Most of the characters fit into this mold I feel.

2) More all out action scenes with heroes fighting each other. Remember who cool it was to see Peter and Sylar fight in the first season. We need some more knock down drag out battles.

3) Have an overall focus as to where the show is going. When we all got behind the, "Save the cheerleader, save the world" we knew where the show was going but it was exciting. Now, the show just drifts around.

Lastly, hire real big name comic book writers to either write the show, or a story arc, or character development. This show needs a new direction.
i'm unsure what to think - i've always loved heroes and will watch it till the end but i am getting dissappointed and let down by the writers
Load More Comments