Hey The Voice Has Crowned a Season 4 Winner! Too Bad the Success (Probably) Stops Here

Well, it finally happened. After two hours of deliberate time-wasting, endless guest performances, and the obligatory obnoxious Kia product placement, the announcement was made—Blake Shelton finally won The Voice with a country star. It's his third victory in four seasons and his second consecutive win using the tried-and-true approach of "pretty white girl wears prom dresses and sings country ballads." 'Murica loves it some pretty white girl action.

Anyway, congrats and good luck and all that; chances are that newly crowned champ Danielle Bradbury will need it. Winning The Voice is, in theory, a great starting point to any music career what with the national exposure on a major network, making real connections in the music industry, and gaining experience and guidance from some hugely influential names in the field. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, despite the success of The Voice itself—which often rivals American Idol in the ratings and is basically the only show making money for NBC these days—the actual winners of The Voice are notably absent from the gravy train. The Season 1 winner, Javier Colon, left Universal Republic after the release of his debut album over production and marketing disagreements. The Season 2 winner, Jermaine Paul, still hasn't released an album (it's supposed to be out in December, though), and despite debuting his first original single on the very show that initially introduced him to millions of viewers, the single has failed to chart. Season 3 winner Cassadee Pope's post-Voice success has been modest at best.

Meanwhile, even many of the "losers" on Idol have gone on to very successful music careers—Adam Lambert was a runner-up in the finals and Jennifer Hudson placed seventh during her time on the show. But The Voice's winners just seem to disappear after their victories, popping in for an obligatory appearance on the show's next season before hopping into their complimentary Kias and puttering back to the ether of minor musical celebrity.

I'm not sure what the underlying problem is; maybe the artists aren't being marketed properly following their wins or America just sucks at picking out enduring talent or The Voice isn't as invested in it's contestants as it claims to be. Admittedly, I'm really not invested enough in any of the winners to apply too much brainpower to thinking of a solution. However, I'm not alone in my observation. After four seasons of being the biggest thing on NBC's schedule and one of the biggest things on TV periodThe Voice's inability to produce a household name in the tradition of Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood is becoming a bit of an oddity, a distraction, and definitely a teensy bit of a credibility smasher.

After all, what are we cheering for as viewers if this is the last time we see our favorite contestant attain any kind of huge, primetime success? What's the point, if we know that The Voice ultimately can't deliver? Why is a silly reality show giving me an existential crisis?

The talent is there, certainly, and it was especially good this season, which was in no short supply of incredible voices and personalities. The show is insanely popular. The question of why this doesn't translate to success for the show's alumni is a debate for someone who's better versed in the nuances of the music industry and how The Voice actually works (or doesn't) in that system, and I'm not that person. However, I do think it's telling of the show's priorities that, since The Voice began airing, it may not've produced even modest stars from its ranks, but its judges' careers—which were already pretty solid to begin with—have gone into overdrive. Adam Levine acts now... if that's what we want to call his one long death scene on American Horror Story: Asylum, Blake Shelton has never been a bigger deal, even Cee Lo's freaking cat has a Twitter

Anyway, that's a lot of deep thought for NBC's cash cow that probably cost them like $1.50 to make, so to recap the finale, Danielle Bradbury of Team Blake won. Michelle Chamuel of Team Usher placed second and the Swon Brothers, also of Team Blake, finished in third. Bruno Mars, Bob Segar, Cher, and a bunch of other musicians with nothing better to do performed. Christina Aguilera lost the baby weight. Everybody got a Kia. And of all the little skits sprinkled throughout the two-hour celebration of shallow, the spelling bee one made me irrationally angry because I'm weird (and it was dumb). The fan-submitted impressions of the judges made me laugh really hard, though.

Here's the performance that won Danielle B. the title:

And here's the big announcement:

QUESTIONS!

– Are you happy with the season 4 results?

– Did your favorites make it to the finals?

– Cee Lo and Xtina are returning for Season 5; you in?

– Should Adam and Blake take a break?

– Why aren't any of The Voice's winners SOOPER successful?

Danielle is doing pretty well if you ask me. Your article makes no sense.
Cassadee and Danielle are doing pretty well so far. It didn't happen over night for Carrie or Kelly either.
Carrie was on the very next country music award show. Within a year she won best new artist. I am positive Jesus Take the Wheel took off on the charts. No, it wasn't overnight but it was less than a year before she was a household name.
I think from now on I'll only watch the spring seasons with Shakira and Usher, and skip the fall-Xtina-and-Ceelo ones.
Do not like Christina or Cee-Lo, it is about the singers; not you! Wish Michelle would have won, but Danielle does have a nice voice.
Once Christina the self important super diva comes back, I'm done.
I'm glad someone has FINALLY brought this topic to the forefront. I've been watching the Voice since season one, and I could not tell you the names of the previous winners to save my life. (Fortunate for me, you just told us).

I remember the last season the most, probably since Cassadee Pope was on The Voice a few episode's ago. She mentioned her "EP will drop" in...hmm...I can't remember when she said it was due for release, mostly because I don't care. She performed her first song from the album and I was utterly un-amazed. (Note that it's an EP-not a full-length album.) I thought she kicked butt last season, she beat my favorite-to-win Terry McDermott, and I expected her to do something GREAT. Or just something better then she's done.

I always thought maybe the previous season's talent was not in public eye because they were SO BUSY recording and learning about the industry. I guess not. Just an FYI: Terry McDermott is working his a** off, but he's in another country and we don't hear of him.

This season made me pretty happy, my top three picks all made it to the top three. I'm starving for more from all of them! I'm looking forward to hearing original, awesome stuff from all three! But, it's not gonna happen, is it MaryAnn?

At the end of it all, I think these folks are hung out to fend for themselves afterwards. I don't think there's time for follow-up because the coaches are too busy with their own careers (understandable), and maybe because there is only a few months in between seasons. I dunno.

It's a shame. I do love the show, I'll be a long-time viewer, and I'll cross my fingers just ONE of these folks makes it big someday.
this Danielle is cheap rip off of Lauren Alaina....Lauren can sing circles around this girl!
Hey, at least singing competitions are more successful than America's Next Top Model...the contestants practically have breakdowns under the stress each season but unless you subscribe to dozens of fashion magazines, it's unlikely that you'll ever see the winners again. And that show has had 20 seasons!
Honestly, I think that they need to have sigers ready to do an album. When it takes a year to get an album out, the itch to buy it or any of the singles dies down. And yeah, okay, Jennifer Hudson and Adam Lambert, but where are half of the other winners from Idol? Lee Dewyze, who I LOVED, where is he? He was on an episode of Hell's Kitchen? What about Clay Aiken? That grey haired guy? They have had a lot of lack of success people as well.
It is true that the voice has yet to produce a house hold name yet which is rather strange considering how the show has been rather popular ratings wise for nbc.
I think the ultimate reason for the lack of "superstars" is The Voice gets niche singers. They find these people with very unique and cool voices that maybe are just too off the beaten-path to make it mainstream, but they can still be extremely successful within their own genres and niches. I can name quite a few of the contestants that have been putting out some albums and getting some degree of success. Not multi-million dollar success no, but enough that they can keep doing what they love to do.

But in an even grander sense, the Voice waits too long before it has its contestants put their albums out. Idol has its first CDs out within a couple of months of someone winning, before America and its 2-year-old attention span can forget about them. The Voice needs to pick up the pace a little bit on getting something out sooner for its winners.

Personally, I was pulling for Michelle. Her ability to emotionally connect to a song is awesome. Danielle just needs a few years of life experience and that girl will be even more ridiculously amazing than she already is. But I really think this will be the season that we get more success post-competition. You know Usher is gonna stick with Michelle and make her his next protegee. And Danielle just has that cuteness and the whole package that the country crowd will love.
Yes, that might be part of the problem, expecting the singers to become superstars instead of just expecting them to be good singers. The Kelly Clarksons are the exception, not the rule. Success isn't about putting out a good performance on one or two songs once a week for a few months but putting in a ton of demanding work.

There's a lot of pressure, time away from family and friends and letting other people make decisions about your life...someone might be a great singer but just not have the temperament or discipline to make the thousands of sacrifices it takes to make it to the top. And to go on tour? That's a herculean amount of work.
For some reason, I really don't care what happens after the contestants are crowned, lol. I watch it for entertainment at the time and I do root for someone, but I'm not concerned about whether or not they come out with any music that I like. I've never voted and I don't care enough to. I guess it's just a temporary thing for me. Danielle was my favorite pretty much from the beginning despite not liking country music (and I wish she'd gotten to sing outside of that genre), so I'm glad she won. At some point it became between her and Amber for me, and since Amber got eliminated right before the finale, it made that decision easy for me. It was like Danielle didn't even have to try to sound good; it just came out that way.
Reba McEntire, Shakira, Cee Lo, and Gavin Degraw should be the judges!
Probably since I really hate reality shows and don't watch even Idol or Survivor, is the reason The Voice has never been on my TV screen. I'm trying to break it big as a writer and nobody cares. America likes what it likes and it's very unpredictable and fickle. Fifty Shades of Grey is the perfect example because it was such a freak thing with no explicable explanation--say that three times Daffy Duck--and no rhyme or reason. All we really know how to do is copy stuff. I saw Man of Steel last night and it just tried to rip off The Avengers. How many times do we need to see an invulnerable powerhouse drive another invulnerable powerhouse through a series of concrete walls and nobody gets hurt? I think they did it at least fifty times and it was pretty, but so is a ball of tin foil. The smarter you are, the quicker it gets boring...
well raelynn and dia are out there having a bit of a success i guess
This season was so much more enjoyable without Christina. She's an attention whore and too much of a diva. The only positive to her being on the show is her massive chest fighting to pop out of her top, and even that's not enough to overshadow personality.
Chris Mann is the only former Voice contestant I have ever seen on tv since he was on the show...Everyone else has disappeared...hope little Danielle and Michelle do better. In fact I hope all of the final 4 do well. they all sing really well.
This season was alittle different this year for me, because I saw a coach actually nuture and pull something out of a young talent. The way Usher and Michelle interacted was truly awesome, so awesome that many were not even that upset she didn't win because they know Usher will probably still help her in the industry. I think maybe some of The Voices problem is that most of their acts are actually seasoned veterans who got their feet in the music industry door but couldn't quite get it to work out. Danielle will probably be the first novice winner they have, so maybe her success will be different. She's not tainted by the industry, so she can be fresh. Not a fan of country myself, but it's quite evident country fans pull together and get the job done, hopefully they will continue to support her once she does start producing actual music. I will admit I FFwd through most of her performances, but I did watch the duet with Hunter and it was quite excellent. And Michelle's duet with Once Republic was spot on...she's just so diverse, I think she will do well. And I actually think the Swon brothers will make a name for themselves too. So, maybe The Voice doesn't have that breakout star yet, but in all fairness this is just Season 4.
I've been disillusioned with this and other singer competition shows for a while. It's all about the judges, whose capability for judging is questionable. Give me a real competition that recognizes the total package: voice, looks (it's an image-conscious industry), stage presence, personality, and can play an instrument. And have real industry people judge (Clive Davis, Prince, etc.).
You can say Universal fails the contestants or a lot of other things, but if there is one successful part of the Voice it is the coaches.
Those judges sound horrible. Music industry people are horrible these days and totally out of touch. They need to put 3 charismatic average joe/joe-ettes onto a panel and let them say what they want and take it away from all these 20 million dollar a year judges who could care less about whats going on onstage. I dont think looks matters, and one of the biggest annoying factors of The Voice is that they claim its about the voice when its 99% image after the button is pressed (and even then there are spotters in the audience giving their thumbs up)
But Clive and Prince aren't modern-day industry types. They're from the old-school and have seen it all. If not them, at least some other seasoned person who knows music *AND* the business. And "joe-ette"...? I'll have to use that one!
Even though singing shows are a guilty pleasure of mine, I'm a bit hesitant to watch American ones now since country singers are dominating them. There is nothing wrong with country music, just not my taste. I think from now on, I'll stick to UK streams.

Even if Blake (and Adam) takes a break, they will find a replacement that is in the same genre as him. At this point, I honestly don't think there is anything that will stop Blake from winning on the coming seasons. He has proven that he can win with or without a country singer, either male or female.
Ive noticed that even in the British/Australian/New Zealand version of these shows they heavy handidly push out country singers, most of whom are mediocre at best. Though id take country over ever having to hear any of Miley Cyrus/Rihanna stuff again. This year has been especially grating on my nerves. At least when everyone was singing Adele, etc the songs were quality.
it adam and blake took a break, the show would lose over half of its audience
I knew she would be the winner right from the start; because these things are rigged.These are commercial contracts and it is clear that this has become a Country Music equivalent for that other show. I mean there were no Rock anthems or songs at all.
rigged? No. What do mean you rock anthems or songs at all?
I mean there was mainly one type of song represented either straight C&W or ballads.The French and Australian Voice shows showed more Rock songs and were, for my particular taste in music, of a higher caliber.
As for rigged, she was treated by Blake more specially than the other talents on his team, and since I don't think he's cheating on his wife....
I believe he dropped it during one of the episodes that I caught. He said, though jokingly, that she was his retirement package. And he is likely correct if he signs her to his label because arguably, she could make lots of money.
Danielle, though a great singer, is better for their brand.
'Murica loves it some pretty white girl action.-----
HILARIOUS!
sadly, true...
The thing about The Voice is that as much as its a singing competition its really about the judges. Hence the 'Blake won the voice with the cute country girl'. Blakes the winner, not the talent. And Im willing to bet a good majority of the votes where for Blakes personality. As much as we can harp on Idol for being phony etc, in the end it is really more about the singers. In the end I think XFactor has the best raw talent (and then the judges go on to ruin it from there)
I just do not understand why you seem to be upset over the "pretty white girl" winning. So what if she's pretty? So what if she's white? America voted for her. Unless you're hinting at some sort of Voice conspiracy, it seems like a waste of time to complain.
I am hinting at a Voice conspiracy.
Hii, i'm from the Netherlands and visit this site on daily basis. From what i'm reading here, it sounds exactly the same as with us. The very first winner of the Voice of Holland comes in the news sometimes (mostly if its about his girlfriend), but hasn't scored a hit in ages... The second winner now sings in a commercial of weight watchers and third winner... well i have no idea what happened to her yet.
So I think its a curse of these kind of shows and sometimes a very good one pops up and stays, but otherwise,,, they just seem to vanish in thin air,
Interesting to note. especially since the voice Netherlands is the original one that started the franchise.
I stopped watching after season one cos the show is more about the judges egos than anything else. I honestly couldn't tell you who won any of the other seasons and the seasons of American Idol I didn't watch (seasons 4-7) I can tell you every winner.

It's funny cos in the one photo above, it looks like they're about to belt out "Seasons of Love", and a touring production of RENT is probably they're safest bet for steady work.
imo, the only REALLY successful Idol'ers are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.
I think its because they're songwriters as well as great singers. People seem to forget that singing isn't the only part, writing/creativity is crazy important too
fantasia & jennifer hudson have also seen some good success.
It's because they sing Country, which is the anti-rapper music. This is the lily white against the black singers.None of these peole sell outside the USA, or even in all of the States.
Kelly is actually pop rock but she did have a huge hit with Jason Aldean.
I meant in the show.I have no idea what they have done outside the show, which is one indication that nothing they do goes outside the States.
That may be, iheartfrosty, as I don't listen to the radio anymore.I am afraid I am one classic rock fan that found my joy a pretty long time ago :)
I hate the Internet, cos what I'm about to say, I'm not being defensive, lol, just staring facts, but almost all five albums of hers have charted in the top ten in over ten countries. Haha, I hope that didn't come off as, "Nuh uh!".
Out of the winners? I agree, although Fantasia did have a successful run on b'way.
I know Danielle, personally. Her cousin and I are best friends. I think there's something different about her than the other winners. I knew it when Tate Stevens won X factor. America loves country right now. Taylor Swifts getting old and pop and they need someone to fill the void. I think Danielle is going to be the first to actually make a name for herself. I listened to the radio this morning and heard one of her songs. Born to Fly. It was so amazing. I think Michelle, the Swons, Amber... basically almost everyone this season is going to be alright. SO. MUCH. TALENT.

Wanted Amber instead of Swons.

Don't even get me started on my Cee Lo/Xtina rant.

Adam and Blake are my BrOTP

I actually have no idea. It's not like they aren't talented. But hey. It's NBC. All about the (not even semi) quality and not about the quantity.
don't see Danielle doing all that great to be honest she is no where near as good as Lauren Alaina is...
tate was terrible. no one from x factor usa has had any commercial success, just like the voice.
I didn't say he was good. I said he won.
But I thought he was good.
how was he terrible? No he was quite good.
I thought they were all great, but I was really blown away by Michelle Chamuel. I think if she keeps the fist-pumping, squatting and mirror singing to a minimum :) she has a chance to make it big. And in that regard, it's probably better for her that she didn't win. I haven't followed it close enough in the past to really know, but I've read an awful lot of stories and comments on other sites lately about how the winners aren't being managed or marketed properly and are not allowed to put themselves forward in the music. So hopefully Usher will sign Michelle to his own label and make some magic happen with her.
she didn't mirror sing a lot, like twice? I don't think she's a good singer. I don't know, her voice just doesn't do it for me.
What is "mirror singing"?
Usher had her open a couple of songs by singing into a mirror while being filmed from behind and she caught a lot of flack for it. Didn't bother me, I was just being funny.
Michelle chamuel should have won, and I think she will have a career,
The show and the talent on the show are excellent, but I simply never hear the music being played on the radio after a contestant wins. American Idol winners (and losers) must have better marketing people as I actually hear their music post show.

Or we can just take the show for what it is. A good contest/game show. The Bachelor/Bachelorette has a HORRIBLE track record for matching couples that stay together, but that doen't keep people from watching that drivel. The Voice actually has people with talent.
drivel? Do you watch? Just because it doesn't last doesn't mean it's not love. Maybe they did find love, but then you got all this fame now and doing interviews, it can cause problems. It would for anyone. Did any last a long time?
Wow could it be true?! An actual review of the voice this season... I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is only the 2nd or 3rd review for the show this season. If you don't like the show than why not let someone else do a write up on it who will review each week's episode? Heck I'd even do it! I like TV.COM as a website to voice my opinions on TV shows and share them with other viewers and it was a bit disappointing to not have any voice reviews this season, even though admittedly the season was a bit lackluster for myself (not being a country fan) I still would have liked to discuss it on here weekly. Going back to your point about Voice winners not having great success your right they haven't. I think Terry McDermott and Nicholas David's singles though have charted fairly high Terry's in particular and hopefully their debut albums will do well as well and were still waiting on Casadee's and Trevin Hunte's debut's which I'm sure will do decently. Although mystifyingly not as good as past Idol winners which I truly do not understand. I watch the voice over Idol even though I know the winners don't have great odds at post show success because I prefer the format and the way the show carries itself. Less reality show from the E channel more real singing competition that gives unique talents a chance to shine. Hoping next season will bring more reviews bi-weekly as I do enjoy reading them and responding.
I barely watch the show, only the last few eps with my parents. All I know is I've never been so sick of country music in my life.
Tell it to American Idol winner Reuben Studdard, whose career has been consistently in the shadow of the person he beat for the title, Clay Aiken.
Or Kris Allen, who nobody cares about.
I honestly don't watch this show in full but saw earlier stuff this season. How the chick that was going to perform with Michael Jackson wasn't in the finale is crazy insane. I saw her sing and wow! Also some other amazing ones. People vote WAY too much on who they may relate to and some aren't amazing singers. But whatever???? What's crazy about these shows, all these millions of people vote for the artist and almost NEVER support them afterwards. Sure, some make it like Clarkson and Underwood and maybe whomever else but not that many. So where do these sell out voters go?

I think Usher is great and I'd permanently replace Cee Lo with him. I wouldn't mind Shakira more than Christina but Shakira is probably too easy. These shows need tough judges which too many aren't.
sell out voters?
Do you have proof that the votes count? so put up or shut up. If the votes counted there would be more support and more sales to the winners in past seasons. If ten million people voted for candidate x and candidate x does not sell at least seven million copies then it;s fake.
woman not chick
There is no support because there are no votes and it is rigged. they just want to force Country music down our collective throats and it will never work.Long Live Rock'N'Roll!!!!!!!!
I get it know, your a rock and roll jerk. Your just a jerk, assuming, giving a wrong opinion, reaching for a conspiracy.
You can just about look at any singing competition lately and sure seems like Pop Country artists win every time. Hmmmm??? And the lyrics are excruciatingly terrible in pop country music. Always amazes me how those fans support kindergarten level lyrics, haha.
Back at you. A song competition should represent all kinds, any idiot can figure that out.The French, Australian and British Voice all had Country, ballads ,Rock, rap etc...at some point. The US Voice is ow all about blake and his stupid finger.
The rate things go I can just about believe that. :D Know it doesn't work for me, seeing Iron Maiden in a few months, oh yeah.
Lucky you. One of my all-time favorite bands.
Isn't it always one of the run ups that go on to have great careers after being in talentless shows like this?