Hey TV.com, Should I Watch Elementary?

There's no escaping the billboards for Elementary and Benedict Cumberbatch has already lambasted the Colonists for daring to make an American version of Sherlock. So should you tempt the fates and watch it? Let's discuss.

What is Elementary, my dear?

CBS's new drama is an updated re-imagining of legendary crimesolver Sherlock Holmes, only it's set in New York (although Sherlock is still a Brit because Americans refuse to believe they are as smart as British people). More accurately it's also an (unsanctioned) Americanization of the BBC's excellent Sherlock that premiered in 2010 starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

When does it come on?

Tonight, fool! Thursday, September 27 at 10pm on CBS. Besta recognize!

Who did this to us?

This is a CBS show. CBS is the home of many procedurals I would rather put a chopstick through my eye than watch, but this is different. It is. It's floating and arty and thoughtful. Rob Doherty—who also worked on Medium, Ringer, and Star Trek: Voyager—is the executive producer.

Who's Elementary geared toward?

People with good taste and sharp brains! It's a procedural for easily bored folks who don't usually like procedurals, ya feel me?

What's good about it?

Everything, basically. Lucy Liu is a superior form of human being. The twist on Sherlock Holmes—he's an eccentric, an addict—makes him more accessible than the original character, who is kind of nebbish and hateful. Also, in trying to be so edgy Elementary deconstructs the Sherlock Holmes mythos enough that the main themes get through in a very cool, original way. The satisfaction of the series lies in the promise that truth coats every human interaction like a tangible residue, waiting to be detected. (Such a comforting conceit, so much more cozy than our real-world consensus that truth is as elusive as any other ideal.)

Watson (a female) has a much cooler reason for tailing Holmes. Watch it, you'll see.

Also this series is set in New York, and while I love London and would pretty much rip off my left arm to live there, this show seems to genuinely film in New York and that energy is certainly infectious and gives the show a level of grit that's very enjoyable.

What's stupid about it?

People who are enamored of the British series will be quick to punch holes in this version, resenting the liberties taken with Sherlock and Watson. Don't listen to the killjoys! Although know this: One is not a substitute for the other. Watch both. BBC's/PBS's Sherlock should not be missed if you like great acting and mysteries being solved.

Okay, okay, cut to the chase: Watch or don't watch?

Absolutely watch it. It's smart, and sexy, and restrained, and all those things you like about TV. And engrossing. And kind of arty in a video-art circa 2005 way. I mean that as a HUGE compliment.

Can you show me a clip? Because I don't know if I trust you, stranger.

Use your powers of observation to deduce from the trailer below whether or not this series is worth the inestimable boon of your time and attention! (It is, but enjoy the preview.)

What should I drink while I watch it, my dear?

Methadone, because Sherlock Holmes is an addict. WAIT JUST KIDDING. Sheesh, cool it, don't call up the clinic! They got real problems. Fix yourself a delicious traditional British cocktail like a Pimm's Cup or a gin and tonic, then Instagram yourself pouring it down the toilet (because you will enrage your British friends, much like the Americanized Sherlock Holmes iteration has enraged Benedict Cumberbatch). Then settle down with some whiskey, neat, to enjoy this lovely series.

Elementary premieres Thursday, September 27 at 10pm on CBS.

I'm sorry, I can't watch this based purely on the fact that Watson is a chick. It feels like America is once again saying it can do anything better than anyone else. They've seen the BBC Sherlock become amazingly popular due to it being an amazing series, and decided they could do it better. Except of course, they can't completely endorse that whole Watson/Sherlock thing the Brits have, so they're going to change Watson to a girl. Even though they were only shipped by the fans, not the show. Maybe they didn't mean it that way. Maybe it's a genuine attempt the reinvent Sherlock Holmes yet again. But to me, it still feels like back in the 90's when any hint of a gay relationship in foreign media was dubbed, edited or erased into oblivion.
Just another procedural with a protagonist who has some kind of "super power" and poor social skills...just like monk, psych, mentalist etc. Boring! So far, JLM's Sherlock is dull.

I prefer the BBC Sherlock.
"Just another procedural with a protagonist who has some kind of "super power" and poor social skills.."

Are you serious? I'm surprised you could write that without laughing your ass off and pretending that the BBC Sherlock isn't a protagonist with some kind of "super power" and poor social skills. Did we watch the same Sherlock?
@Auriken have you even seen BBC Sherlock? What he is trying to say, it's not another generic weirdo solving crimes weirdly, the writing is top notch, the acting superb and the stories are extremelly good and compelling.

All that Elementary isn't, a show which looks very generic and seems to be almost exploiting the Sherlock Holmes name as a gimmick to get more viewers.
I will say this, Benedict Cumberbach and Martin Freeman's throne won't be usurped by this version, but I still like it, a lot actually. I didn't expect Elementary to be the best Sherlock Holmes adaption yet, but it's interesting, and come on, it has Lucy Liu in it. And Jonny Lee Miller isn't so bad either, really. I'll certainly tune in next week and the week after that...
America already had a pretty good version of Sherlock and it was called House.
"What's good about it? Everything, basically" Seriously!?!? Maybe I'm just spoiled, because when I first heard about this show here in tv.com, I read here that other than BBC Sherlock, this was a new take on it, then I watched BBC Sherlock, so maybe that was a mistake.

When it comes to a tv show, it's alright, pretty average, and trust me, I wanted to like, because Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are great actors imo, however, when compared to BBC's Sherlock, this show is just plain pathetic when it tries to make a modern version of Holmes.

This show presents Holmes as another weirdo solving crimes weirdly, like a lot of tv shows on the air right now, forced stories combined with subpar acting, and overall poor writing, doesn't help it's case, don't take me wrong, it isn't unwatchable, it can be a good time when you simply don't have anything better to do or watch.

Think they are trying too hard. If this Sherlock character can simply surmise the brand of your dental floss by just your flashing your braces, where is the element of anticipation? Elementary Watson, elementary. Also his character is way too hyped up and reactive and borders on irritation. The Mentalist gets it right with clever and logical deductions and does it with class. CSI is brilliant & goes for the jugular with facts. Sadly Elementary is not believable unless they tone down Sherlocks's "magic" powers of guess work. Is there anything he doesn't know? Boring ! Duh! Lucy Liu is great but is unjustifiably under typecast for her role. C'mon, this is the ass kicking femme fatale Lucy we all know and love in Ally McBeal and Charlie's Angels. Where's her elementary SPUNK - pun and kicks intended? Hope they rev it up real quick or dun think it can move past the next case file. Good luck writers.
I guess I'm part of the negative group.

I watched the 1st episode and I'm sorry to say but 'Joan Watson' ? That wasn't clever in any stretch of the imagination.

When your 10 year younger sister groans hearing the idea and says 'That is Sooo not clever' . There's a problem there.

And about the show being smart? I'm sorry ... but I'm not going to go easy on it and defend it.

The twist of the episode ... we figured it out and was joking that how bad would it have been if it actually was the twist.

and ofcourse ... it was.

I guess my main point is ... Sherlock Holmes ... is Sherlock Holmes.

He's not 'The Mentalist - Patrick Jayne' or 'Shawn of Psych'.

THIS ... is not Sherlock Holmes.

This is as much as Sherlock Holmes as Batman Forever, Batman and Robin were Batman movies.

Was the show smart witty and fun?

Sure ... if it was called The Consultant.

But not the level a SHERLOCK HOLMES show needs to be. This is just any other generic procedural cop show out there with the name Sherlock Holmes thrown in.
I like the British Sherlock series more but I'll give this one a shot.
Forget the show...I LOVE reading your reviews Lily! Without looking at the byline I can always tell when you are the writer.
I like it A LOT. It's clever and witty and you need to be listening attentively so as not to miss

any of the quips, asides, etc.
I find it really watchable, not saying it was the best thing ever but I did like it.

I don't really get why everyone must compare it so much to BBC, mainly because it's not an American remake of Sherlock like there has been for Shameless, Inbetweeners, Skins, The Offices, etc.

And is fairly easy to separate the two as Sherlock has been portrayed so many times and can always be nice to see how the character is portrayed next by a different actor and stuff if you are truly a fan of the character and not just the show on BBC.
You're just copping out of the discussion by saying we're not real Sherlock Holmes fans if we compare these 2 (extremely similar) shows. I love anything that has to do with Sherlock Holmes and I'm still comparing Sherlock to Elementary. Why? Because CBS is trying to capitalize on the BBC's success with a shoddy rip-off. I hate a lack of originality and to top off the fact that CBS ripped off of the BBC, making a formerly male character a woman isn't original. CBS, my darling channel, don't think I didn't notice that you did that in your Hawaii 5-O reboot as well. That didn't add anything to that show and I doubt it'll add anything here either.
Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Here's some info about me

1. I live in the UK

2. I love BBC's Sherlock

3. I've had a soft spot for JLM since Hackers

4. Lucy Liu is sexy IMHO

5. I like knitted pattern jumpers (pullovers)

When I first heard talk of this show i was like, *groan* here we go...

When I first watched it I was like, *groan* this is so good :D

KUDOS
to my surprise it was pretty watchable... actually liked it. I must confess i never watched the other Sherlock series (the original character itself tends to annoy me somehow so i wasn't going to watch this one either but the idea of something different made me give it a try and i wasn't sorry). So far the best part is that they explain things, and they explain them as they go, not at the end like some kind of big reward for staying glued to the tv screen for 40 minutes and getting frustrated for not being smart enough to understand what they know(the only series like that that ever got a pass from me was the Mentalist...still waiting for Lisbon to brighten up). the other good thing is Watson's job and reason to stick to that weirdo guy, i feel you need to be a special brand of people to stay close to a character like Sherlock (in all his forms) if you don't have a solid reason (let alone be friends with him). Also she really helped a couple of times (even though her job validates her inferiority in this line of work thus making me less annoyed with her lack of skills)...something that i felt the previous Watsons weren't so good at (still never watched the new English series...don't hate me if he is ok...)

Also, it was a nice touch that they kept his drug problem, it made him look more human.

Oh how I love Sherlock.

But after watching Elementary, I find myself loving it too. Sorry to all the haters, but it's pretty awesome, even though Sherlock is in a league of its own. This is just good fun TV that we watch because it entertains the crap out of us, so it's amazing.
Come on, the "twist" as you call it on the Sherlock character isn't a twist at all. It's Sherlock's Sherlock character, only not as endearing and marginally less of a sociopath. And I hate Lucy Liu. Totally disagree with you on that train-wreck of an actress. Also, since I'm clearly a hater I'll continue in the same vein and say that I hate Watson as a woman. Now there's gonna be weird sexual tension. Although clearly they're trying to save that for later b/c they're dressing Lucy Liu like a crazy cat lady.
i totally dress like that! this is crazy cat lady style???
Maybe you wear it better.
I'm intrigued as to where they'll go with the tension between them. adds another dimension.

And she didn't look like a crazy cat lady in the opening scene.

Its not as cathartically precise as Sherlock (which i flippin love!) but it has a feel of it's own which I like.
It's not like it would be hard to call the reaction of Sherlock fans. Sherlock is one of the best adaptations of the Sherlock Holmes character I've ever seen. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock like he's a great white shark always attacking his next mystery and would simply die if a new mystery doesn't come along soon.

On the other hand Elementary kind of plays up Sherlock as a broken individual who meets up with a broken Dr Watson. It's an interesting dynamic and if they keep the mysteries smartly written I'll come back, because I love a good mystery. That said the superior version of Sherlock Holmes is Sherlock. If you haven't watched it yet go watch it as soon as humanly possible.
Well, I'm not a BBC snob, so I was actually looking forward to this show. Man, reading the comments below, Lily Sparks totally called how the BBC crowd would react. It's as though she's TV.com's resident Sherlock Holmes.

I found the show entertaining. It's not necessarily anything new, but still entertaining nonetheless. Sort of like The Mentalist meets Castle, but grittier.

Jonny Lee Miller, as expected, did a fantastic job. Hopefully this show fares better than Eli Stone. Lucy Liu did a great job too, and I haven't always been a fan of her work. Seeing Aidan Quinn was nice surprise too. Hopefully, his role will evolve past just being Sherlock's contact in the police department. Great episode overall. I'll definitely continue watching.
FYI...Sherlock Holmes is an addict. This new Holmes being an addict is not a behavioral deviation from the original sleuth, being that Holmes was on cocaine as depicted in the novels of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He was also a misogynist -- didn't like women. He was not gay, just didn't like females.
since there doing Sherlock Holmes At some point there going to have to throw in Moriaty.
Yes. watching the trailer. Will make up my mind if I continue to watch or not after.

No, have not seen the other one. Sorry, it looked pretty dumb to me. Great for the 90120 crowd, not so much for me. (And I say this as both a confirmed Anglophile and a procedural addict.)
I think Dumb is probably not the best word to describe it. In fact it may be too clever for its own good.

The 90210 crowd? again probably very far away from the Sherlock demographic.

Seriously give it a go- it will surprise you.
Just green light an American budget (i.e lots of cash) for a full length 12-20 episode season of Sherlock and stop wasting time with this dribble.
a large budget and huge episode run would kill Sherlock.

It would be diluted and stretched.

Also each episode is 90 minutes no ads - the length of a movie. a run of 12- 20 episodes would take 3-4 years to complete.

Leave Sherlock as your single malt occasional tipple and enjoy Elementary more regularly as a whiskey and coke mixer. Not the same slow burning, complex cathartic pleasure but an enjoyable fix non the less.
That's not how TV works
I absolutely loved the BBC Sherlock series, and having only seen the pilot, felt Elementary was pretty good. A similar approach, but different in many of its own ways. I think a fair comparison would be to think of Sherlock as creme brulee, and Elementary like a savory, smooth peanut butter. While the creme brulee is a whole and delicious dessert, the peanut butter is just a base ingredient. Tasty and filling, but lacking many of the needed parts to be added later that would make it fantastic.
I will definitely be watching this!
I Have head of the BBC version but I Cant watch it!!! I'm sure it is very good BBCA doesn't show here in the US, but I will say that Elementary will be the BEST NEW SHOW THIS FALL PERIOD!!
last resort is much better
It is available on DVD & Blu Ray. So you CAN watch it, and should. :)
Actually its on Amazon Prime so i will check it out!! but that does not change my mind on Elementary
Wasn't trying to, good sir.
If the BBC Sherlok is an american aircraft carrier, Elementary is an inflatable rubber boat - at war. Stil, anyone is free to watch anything...

However, if you really want to appreciate Elementary do NOT see the BBC version first, because Sherlock is simply in it's own superior class. I am not saying Elementary is bad, it's just nowhere near the same class. And after seeing how similar they are, watching Sherlock first inevitably spoils the joy of Elementary.
Or you could not compare them? You could appreciate each separately for its individual merits.
Hard not to. But you're right- they're different enough to enjoy seperately.
it's true I've been watching Sherlock since it premiered and I'm not dubious that Elementary will be as good. Obviously it will not be, but I'm still optimistic that I'll like it.
I saw the pilot at Comic-Con and it was good but not outstanding in any way.
I'd rather not watch CBS take a big dump on one of my favourite literary characters, but to each their own.

They wanted to make a US version of Sherlock and got turned down, so they went to this extreme to get noticed. I personally find it morally bleh and won't support it.
But I am somewhat of a masochist, so I will probably watch the pilot.
Watched it. Not terrible, but not good either. Painfully generic and boring. So yeah, probably a hit considering what gets ratings in the States these days.
I love the BBC version of Sherlock and it is probably superior to Elementary, but 6 episode over 3-4 years and god knows when the next series will be broadcast (considering all the cast members seems to be scattered around the world) I take a bit of American Sherlock in the mean time.
Honestly? Its annoying me that people are freaking out about this.

I I haven't gotten around to seeing Sherlock yet but I'm sure its good. Its just kinda dumb that people are acting if Sherlock is an origional piece and Elementary is a direct adaptation of that that show. Sherlock is not the only tv series/movie out there that has ever adapted the sherlock holmes series nor will it be the last. I dont know if Elementary will be good but there's no reason to write it off completely yet.
Good for you not letting a small thing like having no clue get in your way. :P
She obviously does have a clue, and she's right. It's absurd to freak out over the existence of the latest Sherlock Holmes adaptation just because you liked the second latest.
Well I for one am not freaking out... but counter freaking out without having seen EITHER show is just as stupid. If not more.

At least the people she is so annoyed with have actually seen one or both. Which gives them more right to speak on it.
You don't have to watch either of the shows to recognize irrational behavior, or to earn the right to point out that someone is behaving irrationally. There's nothing *in* either of these two shows that can justify the comments we've seen about how outrageous it is to do another Sherlock Holmes adaptation after "Sherlock".
Well I wasn't going to say anything, but I have a similar sentiment as Allie. Seriously children, the Sherlock Holmes character has been gracing the screen since - well at least the freaking 30's. More to the point, I cut my teeth on variation on the theme since the 60's. So to have a cow about yet another version is pretty silly.
From watching the trailer, this version is an idiot compared to the UK one.
As much as I like Johnny Lee Miller, there's no way he's going to come close to what Benedict Cumberbatch has created with his rendition of Sherlock. I'm still going to watch a couple of episodes just in case it's good but it will never surpass the BBC's version.
I've REALLY been looking forward to this show and from the advertisements I had high hopes! I'm very happy to see that other people have been diggin' it too:)

I liked it. Lucy Liu was as good here as she was on Southland (gonna miss her on that show). It was a little slow at times, but enjoyable, nonetheless.
I just watched the pilot. It was OK, but nothing special. I must say I agree with some of the negative(ish) comments I've read: 1. This feels more like a procedural with two new characters than like show about Holmes and Watson. 2. Johnny Lee Miller is acting kind of weird. Yes, Holmes isn't supposed to be like everyone else, so weirdness is to be expected. But his weirdness seems kind of random. He hasn't convinced me yet.

I'm not sure if I'll keep watching this. Maybe a few more, but I don't see myself watching it every week. I'm not a fan of procedurals.
Felt similar about JLM's performance at the begining of the show but then realised I was comparing to Cumberbach's character. Miller had to create his own brand of weirdness and I warmed to it through the show.
This is an unorthodox and interesting duo yet the Watson/Sherlock relationship remains intact. Watson continues to ground Sherlock, Sherlock gets Watson out of her own head, together they solve crimes. I do hope the network is smart enough to keep these two as merely friends...
You sold me Lily. Good article.
Looks pretty good. But will it be able to keep up the interest with good story lines each episode? That's where America tends to be weakest I think, in comparison to the BBC Sherlock where the writing is just so good.

I also don't see what all the fuss is about, I think America had a "Sherlock Holmes" show on tv first anyways = Psych
Nothing similar about Sherlock and this. Nothing similar with Doyles Sherlock Holmes and the main protagonist, apart from the name. This series could have easily been called House or the mentalist, only without the chemistry between the actors. Everything about Elementary is terrible.
i watch the bbc's sherlock and it is very goos..this also looks just as much fun with a differant feeling...the brits will give you an hr1/2 3 eps a yr. cbs will prob give 22-24 eps a yr...the clip looks like this should be a not to be missed if you like good acting and clever tv..and think lucy will do just fine...
Dr. Joan Watson.

Think I will give it a miss.

Guys, just watch Sherlock instead.
Most of us already have.
No reason why you can't watch both. BBC's is on a break for now, and there are only so many episodes to watch of it.

Someone that's really into that kind of thing could watch both.

That being said, BBC's Sherlock is awesome.
Really, using Star Trek:Voyager as an example is supposed to make someone watch? That was the worst Trek up until the next one.
Sherlock holmes, in any iteration of the character, is that loveable grump that I'll enjoy in any medium;movie, book or even tv reimaginings. (monk, house and now elemenatry). while i was iffy about watson being a girl, I'm going to watch it and then judge. I am a huge fan of the BBC version, so unless this completely sucks (which I doubt), it can act as my sherlock fix until cumberbatch/freeman come back in fall of 2013.
This is going to be difficult for me. I love the Holmes series, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a huge effect on my life and what I ended up doing. The BBC series, though sometimes silly, is an extremely good representation of the books in the modern age. And Cumberbatch, is a very good Holmes and Freeman is a near perfect Watson. (everyone always forgets Freeman in their adulation of the show). So saying that and given that they already made Watson a woman, thus immediately erasing the fantastic relationship between the two, which is going to be a misstep I am not sure they are going to be able to overcome.

Also,being that it is CBS which should really stand for Couldn't Be Safer (TV), I feel it won't take the risks that other networks or cable channels would be able to take. So in that it will take some effort to win diehard fans over. And then there is going to be the most obvious problem The BBC series is so good, and part of that reason is they don't dilute the season. It is three in depth, very succinct cases that sometimes loop together and culminate in a great ending and that is it per season. And that is why it is so good. 3 episodes that is all they give you. It is going to be difficult for this show to maintain viewership over a 24 episode season and A. not allow the viewer to get bored and B. Not be compared to with individual episodes and I mean plot to plot with CBS' other Holmeseque show in The Mentalist. If they become too alike, and the cases become too similar and the viewer can spot the similarity they are going to get bored and feel they are just really recycling scripts.

But I really hope they do a good job. I haven't seen the episode so it will be a great digestif for the season premiere of Person of Interest tonight.
I actually love the idea that Watson is a woman, and I love even more that producers have sworn up and down to NOT have the two get romantically involved.

In Sherlock both Holmes and Watson meet as strangers and build their "fantastic relationship" from there. I don't see why Elementary can't do the same thing-- and honestly I think a male/female friendship will be more interesting to watch-- as long as they keep it refreshingly free of sexual tension.
It's currently scheduled for 13 episodes. They should probably resist the desire to increase that and, if good, leave us wanting more. What exactly does "taking a risk" have to do with good television? More language? Nudity? Horrific, gory violence? Most every show today is handcuffed by poor writers to begin with and poor budgets making it worse regardless of whatever risks they want to make. Watch before judging, as I will, and accept it or not for what it is and not what you want it to be. It's the supposed rule of all good critics.

In an unrelated matter, I ask TV.Com, why are posts triple spaced now???
I feel like a channel like say AMC or FX could do a great jobs making a Holmes character dark. It doesn't have to have more language, or nudity or any of that. It mostly has to do with CBS producing safe programming. It doesn't offend anyone. I like TV that offends some people. Be it violence, comedy or the story written in a way that just gets under peoples skin, with subject matter. For lack of a better example in my mind right now. Take Archer, I have introduced that show to people that just found it offensive, and I kind of like that in a show. Take also, SOA, that show pushes boundaries in their content.

And I think that is what makes it a top quality show (aside from Clay still being alive). And simply put, CBS doesn't do that. They don't want to offend anyone with any of their content. They don't want to alienate any demo. So they make safe TV. Take NCIS someone should have died last season and no one did. This week, SOA killed a beloved character, hell even Warehouse 13 killed off a beloved character. Even CBS' comedies are safe. I just think if you are going to do a Holmes character and want to make it stand out and be different. Go dark. Have Holmes and Moriarty battle it out on the streets of NYC while Moriarty gets into everything, serial killing protecting rapists whatever the writers can come up with. Just make it dark, make it gritty and make if offend some people. Don't make it safe.

I am just not that big a fan of safe tv.
More +
CBS is a major network channel that's been on since whenever. They reach far more people for free than any cable or satellite network that you have to pay for. They still have to answer to FCC rules that, I am guessing, are more lax than for cable. It may not be they want to be safe, they have to because all American viewers have access to what they put on the air and that includes many families. They have more responsibility to general viewers in that regard. CBS, as far as I know, does not have a major sister network they could put this on and possibly be risky with it. The same is true for the other networks - FOX has FX and NBC has USA ("we can say s**t now!"), but ABC only has ABC Family and Disney, so they are somewhat in the same position as CBS.

Also, Holmes is a widely known character that's part of our literature. Messing with that in ways you suggest could kill the show for those who enjoy the classic version, but do not mind a modern update without anything that goes too far off the rails for them. You might like it, but many may be put off even if it is well written. The Holmes stories are about the detecting and getting the case solved, not about rapists and serial killers unless he gets his bad guy. I would think Moriarity would have better plans than protecting them. You would really need to provide an overall motive for him to do such things other than just to do them. I was wondering if this series will even have a Moriarity or a Mycroft Holmes.

I liked the episode far more than I thought. I was not as impressed as the British version after seeing that for the first time, but it was the best network show I've seen in a bit. My only possible gripe was having the NYPD so readily accept Holmes and his drug baggage, as they did, despite Aidan Quinn's past London acquaintance with him.
More +
"In an unrelated matter, I ask TV.Com, why are posts triple spaced now???"

I've been wondering that too. You can get a single blank line by just typing carriage return once, instead of twice as you normally would. But I would prefer if the output has the same number of blank lines as the input.
Since Lucy Liu is in this I just HAVE to ask.... PLEASE tell me that Watson can fight?
Not in the pilot episode. So far there's no indication that either of them can fight.
I'm sorry but I don't understand. What 'twist on Sherlock'? He WAS an eccentric, he WAS an addict so where's the twist?
Benedict never actually trashed this show. He is good friends with Johnny Lee Miller from their time doing Danny Boyle's Frankenstein together. He has said he was misquoted (again) and that all he said about Elementary is that because they are friends he would have preferred to not be in a situation where they will be compared but he thinks he will do wonderful in this role.
It appears that Lily has forgotten the George C. Scott/Joanne Woodward movie, "They Might Be Giants" where Scott played a version of Holmes and Woodward was his Watson. The movie took place in NYC. As far as I'm concerned the BBC version is a ripoff of this movie.
Staff
From 1971? (which I only know because I just looked it up) Sorry, never heard of it, and I don't think they made this show in response to an elevated number of library rentals of an early 70's gem, I think it's obviously the US producers realizing that like American Idol/The Office/X Factor, stuff that plays well in the UK will play well here.
The first episode was boring, but then again, I think the BBC one is the best adaption of Sherlock Holmes ever. My problem with this was that it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes story, it felt like a standard procedural story. The only thing that might keep me interested is the characters, and so far it's just a more boring Sherlock. I'll give it six episodes, just like I've given the BBC one, just to see if it's something to it.

Also.. There probably won't be any Watson ejaculations in this adaptation. (You know you giggled when you read the books too.)
FINALLY! A kindred spirit. Watson's "ejaculations" had me in stitches when I was younger.

Love pretty much anything Holmes-related. So, I hope this does well/is good. The BBC's series is amazing, so hopefully this take on the character/mythos is great in its own way.

Sorry, just had to do it:)
I remember that episode!

"Watson ejaculates from his very heart." Hilarious! Let's see if Lucy Liu is capable of that.
My favorite was "So he sat as I dropped off to sleep, and so he sat when a sudden ejaculation caused me to wake up".
Or from a second-floor window;)

And don't forget - "There are 27 ejaculations in the canon." "And one in the spout".
Having seen the 1st episode already I am actually waiting for how I like the next 5 episodes as the first six episodes are generally the time I need to find if it is a show I am keen to follow.

The first episode was kind of plain.
Load More Comments