Hey TV.com, Should I Watch Missing?

We've already watched the pilot for Missing, ABC's new mother-turns-into-a-badass-to-search-for-her-son drama, premiering tomorrow night. But is it worth your time? We've done our best to answer a few of the most pressing questions you might have about the show to help you decide whether or not to tune in.

When is it on?

Missing premieres tomorrow, Thursday, March 15, at 8pm on ABC.

Who's in it?

Ashley Judd (Double Jeopardy) and Sean Bean (Game of Thrones) are the big names attached, though Bean's character is dead (not a spoiler) so he only shows up in memories. Nick Eversman plays the missing son, and Adriano Giannini and Cliff Curtis play CIA agents who help Judd's character along the way.

Who's behind it?

Creator/executive producer/writer: Gregory Poirier. He's best known as the mind behind such movies as The Spy Next Door, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, and The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. He doesn't have a lot of TV under his belt (much less any action-thrillers geared for adults) but his co-executive producers Gina Matthews and Grant Scharbo were both producers on Blue Bloods, so there's hope that they'll stay true to the genre.

What's it about?

Ten years ago, Becca's (Judd) eight year-old son Nick and her husband, Paul (Bean), took a vacation in Rome that took a turn for the worse: Paul wound up in an exploding car while Nick looked on in horror. (He was probably thinking: Noo! Not Sean Bean!) Jump forward a decade to Nick telling his mother that he's been accepted to an incredible architectural school... in Rome. She lets him go, but regrets the decision as soon as the school calls her to say that he's gone missing. She immediately boards a plane to Rome, and the hunt is on.

Why should I watch it?

If you've been looking for a show that could possibly fill the hole in your heart that 24 left behind, this could turn out to be a solid replacement. While not as stylistically advanced, Missing promises a lot of action, both in terms of hand-to-hand combat and moped chases through Italy.

Who will like Missing?

Unpretentious audiences who care more about action sequences than the realistic feasibility of the events taking place. Also those who prefer fight scenes over character development. Oh, and also those who are easily touched whenever a mother weeps diligently about her son whenever she finds a clue. So, basically, my dad would love this show.

Are there any drawbacks I should know about?

Sure. Most will rely on your suspension of disbelief, to be honest. In some cases it felt like Becca was able to stumble onto clues too easily or quickly. And the fact that she's been out of the CIA for ten years but wasn't even the slightest bit rusty felt far-fetched. I also wasn't sold on Curtis' performance as Dax Miller after the pilot.

Okay, okay, but should I watch it, really?

Um, sure. We're only one episode in and it is a mystery, after all. Who doesn't love a mystery? With all that we get out of cliffhangers, plot twists, and clue mongering, it's hard to advise audiences against it. Just know that the mystery you're about to embark on is riddled with imperfections and character flaws. The fight scenes are pretty good, at least!

What should I have on hand at my premiere party?

A gun.

Just kidding. But you'll definitely want to garnish your coffee table with some Italian treats, since the show takes place in Rome. Think prosciutto and fancy mozzarella cheese. Or, you know, PIZZA. Invite your ten favorite adrenaline-addicted friends over and throw things (mini replicas of the Statue of David are advised) at the walls every time a fight scene goes down. Or, grab a couple of cases of Peroni and chug a bottle every time Ashley Judd breaks down in tears. Fun times!

Will you be tuning in tomorrow night? Let us know in the comments!

I checked out the pilot and wasn't too impressed - it feels like it has all been done before and better as in with the Bourne saga and I am guessing 24 (never watched it)... I may check a couple of eps more just to give it a shot but low expectations so far
The pilot was a fun romp if you're ok with some mindless action, comics-type. The story seems bunk, and some details were wrong (the shop's video surveillance showed dates in US format, the list of cars pulled up were Audi and Mercedes only, Interpol doesn't have field agents, the car bomb was totally over the top) but it was fast moving, changed locations a lot, and Judd was a fun Furious Mum. Inspired by Taken and Bourne, but lite and fluffy. Let's see what happens next.
I think she did show some ^struggle^ during the fight in start at apartment's room before the out-of-breathe-glance over photo frame awaken her. Personally I felt that her punches were ^rusty^ until half way to the episode before she comes very fluent after getting her butt kicked a few times and I am saying it all in a good way because it did give sense that she had been away from being an agent. However her routine workout kept her fit and tough so she handles herself pretty well.

I am sure I will like "Missing" very much, but the thing is, the question is that for how long this pace will go on. I think the kidnapping is just the start of something very big like Prison Break.
Flawed? Flawed?!! Blasphemy I say. It should be okay - unless she accidently finds the kid in the next few weeks and actually rescues him, then...we got a problem. And why wouldn't soccer mommy still be able to kick ass 10 years after she quit - she was a really good agent. They took great care in pointing that out. So you naysayers need to just give it a chance. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation why they've had their eye on the kid for the last 10 years - perhaps because he got outta the car and ruined everything. MICHAEL!!!!
We could NOT stop laughing. They don't make comedies as goos as this these days. It was like watching a bad kung fu movie only the actors mouths matched their words. All except for Judd's words-- too much botox for the mouth or face to move much at all. We're watching next week for more of that healing power of laughter. What a great series for all the wrong reasons. Thanks, ABC!
I'm sorry, but I just HAVE to say this... As much as I adore Ashley Judd, for the past 10 years or more this is the ONLY genre that she does... Either someone is missing, or they are an FBI agent on the lamb... I'm starting to think that this is her only range... What happened to that actress who played Norma Jean in the HBO movie oh so many years ago? I miss that.
i liked it. imdb's been airing it for about a week now me thinks. anyway i'm not convinced bean is dead, unless a show runner has confirmed it. i felt it might have been an obvious clue when CIA intel concluded a CIA agent (bean) seemed to have been the target of a random citizen bombing...

first off on the ass-kicking ex-cia agent ashley judd front ...chick's always been hot and in good shape and her in this is no different but anyway ...the show opens after the death of her husband with her racing her now adult son who wins but not without her condescending "that's the first time you beat me." flash to her first fight scene and she's not doing swell ...she's in her missing sons apartment and
I missed it... on purpose.
This reminds me of a storyline from the 2nd season of LOST, now what was that again oh yes "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT". :)

Also I thought the trailer for Missing was a movie trailer when I first saw it on CTV last Christmas. I was quite shocked when I found out it was just a television program. I just don't see how searching for a child can go on realistically for seasons and season. Assuming they want it to be that long.
The promos look so bad. "MICHAEL!!!"
Yep, liked the trailer ...a lot.
Why do networks insist on putting up show against The Big Bang Theory and Community?

Obviously people are going to watch the best show on television right now in The Big Bang Theory if the have the chance. If it's a rerun of TBBT, they'll obviously watch the second best show on television right now in Community. If both TBBT and Community aren't airing, then and only then would people consider Vampire Diaries or American Idol or The This Old House Hour or Missing!

While I'm at it, why must The Big Bang Theory and Community be on at the exact same time! Life would be awesome if one was on at 8:00pm and the other at 8:30pm!
"...people are obviously going to watch [what i believe to be the best show on tv right now] which is TBBT ... or if the big bang theory is a repeat they're going to watch [what i believe to be the second best show on tv right now] which is community." fixed.
When is Sean Bean going to catch a break? First Boromir, the Ned Stark and now this.

If the show promises a lot of flashbacks, then maybe I'll watch :)
Saw Sean Bean's name and my heart soared. Then it plummeted two seconds later when I read he was dead already. Had he been in it as a main character, alive and well, then I would have been alot more interested in watching this show.
Watched the pilot. It was utterly horrible. Don't waste your time.
Might watch it
When I first read the premise a few months ago, I thought it was going to be pretty cool and was looking forward to it.

Then I saw the trailer(s) and didn't like it... thought I'd skip it altogether.

Now I read that it's supposedly action-packed, and I again feel like watching it.

Basically, I think I'll tune in for a few episodes and just see if I can buy the cool premise with Ashley Judd at the helms.
If they can stay away from horses it may have a shot at making it past episode 6.

well i liked Taken and this pretty much looms like a tv series version of Taken, so HELL YES Ill be watching this
Um, except this doesn't have the legendary Liam Neeson. So that automatically makes it less awesome than Taken
Umm, Ashley Judd is amazing. Liam Neeson is that guy who promised us he'd retire after The Phantom Menace and then went on to make gems like Clash of the Titans and the A-Team. Liam Neeson is no George Peppard.
I watched the pilot and its boiling with action (that's all there is). Sean Bean's character is dead and that is not good as there is hardly anyone you can connect with on the show.
Until I read this I was looking forward to it. Seriously, the "Who will like Missing?" section descibes my opposite. I'm not a pretentious TV viewer, but my desire to suspend my disbelief has been severely shot thanks to 'The River' and the one rule I have above all overs is that character development is essential. I need to like the characters and to see them adapt and evolve. If Jason Bourne can manage it over three movies then why can't a character manager over a TV season of 13 to 24 episodes? Granted, you've only seen he pilot so far, but if you're seriously telling me that this show has decided to ignore character development in favour of explosions and car chases then I don't see why I should waste my time on it when I could just pick up a Michael Bay movie when the mood takes me.

Having said all that I'll probably give 'Missing' the four episode test for one single reason... Ashley Judd.
Please don't abuse yourself by watching anything made by Michael Bay, master of bad storytelling and incomprehensible editing.

...and ignoring characters in favour of blowing stuff up. I never actually watch any of his films, I was just trying to make a point, but thanks for the concern.

(Having said that, Armageddon, Bad Boys and The Rock are all watchable.)
The Rock is awesome.
This show looks like "Taken: the series". Since I loved Taken, I'm definitely looking forward to this premiere. Ashley Judd is a good actress to me and I think she can pull off the concerned parent portion of her character like Neesen did in Taken.

The only thing I'm a little apprehensive about is Judd playing a kick-ass former CIA agent. I've really never known her to do action roles. However, I didn't think Matt Damon could pull off Jason Bourne and look how that turned out! I freakin love that movie franchise! So, I'll definitely keep an open mind about Judd in action.
There are many serials in the Crime and Thriller section which have carved out a niche for themselves. Like Burn Notice have an ex-spy on the move or White Collar or serials like Dexter, Castle and Criminal Minds.

Hope this delivers its own niche and not become one of the many to just spend your time.
Am definitely gonna watch. It's going to be Ashely Judd packing heat and kicking ass. I just find that sexy.
this will get cancelled.

I'll watch it just cause I don't have anything to watch before Grey's
Are you not familiar with the two best shows on television: The Big Bang Theory and Community???
That's a strech... I mean both are good (specially TBBT) but not by any means the best shows on television.
seems like "Taken: Lifetime Edition" to me.. but I love Ashley Judd so I'll probably watch it eventually, but for now it's not high on my list
This is all well and good. But for me and I will have to watch it to see whether it is done well or not. Can Ashley Judd do this type of a show. I am sure she can, she is a supremely competent actress. But more to the point. Can I buy Ashley Judd as a "retired" super spy that can whip an arse at will. That is a question for me that will determine whether or not I can watch it. As of right now, and just from the previews. It is asking a lot of suspension of disbelief.

This seems like an extended version of Taken. I really enjoyed that movie. Liam Neeson was fantastic in the role. I would like to see it brought to a small screen and I think it could do well if done right. In a Person of Interest kind of way. But I wonder if this was pitched initially as a male role and since this is the year of the woman in TV, no matter how good or horribly bad. Women got the roles. And for me the only one that deserved it and was good at the job and the role was Maria Bello in Prime Suspect. Zooey Dechannel? no. Girl from Alcatraz? no. Chelsea Handler? Hell no. Whitney Cummings? Seriously? The only ones that I can kind of count in the yes column is the women of Suburgatory.
In a better world, I'd still be enjoying watching Maria every week on "Prime Suspect." Sigh.

I'll probably pass on this new show since it'll either intentionally never resolve the central issue or be cancelled before it even gets close. Been there, done that too many times to get hosed again.

Lol, so it's like One Tree Hill season 9?
Ehh, might give it a chance but I'm not super interested.
Will DVD it and watch it later
Watched the preview, considered it, will not be tuning in for it. Waiting for more "Fringe" and "Game Of Thrones". Also, just for fun, more "Dexter" (make of that what you will, TV.com readers).