Homeland Renewed for Season 2

What's the best new series of the 2011 fall season? Whitney? Hart of Dixie? Unforgettable? No, no, and no. It's Showtime's Homeland. And unlike those other shows, it's definitely coming back for Season 2.

Showtime officially picked up the thriller for a second, 12-episode season today, after Sunday's episode hit a series high. Homeland started off as the premium network's most-watched new drama series, with 4.4 million viewers across various platforms (the pilot episode was distributed online for free).

This is fantastic news for the drama, which stars Claire Danes in a powerhouse performance as CIA agent Carrie Mathison, a driven (and totally cuckoo) woman who believes a recently returned prisoner of war (Damian Lewis, who's also awesome in his role) switched sides while he was being held captive and is now working for terrorists. It's based on the Israeli miniseries Prisoner of War.

Renewals are usually met with open arms, but Homeland may be a different matter. Since the core of the show is determining whether Lewis's character is, in fact, a terrorist, the premise seems better suited for a miniseries. Can Carrie's investigation really provide enough meat to last 24 episodes? He either is or he isn't. Apparently, Showtime thinks Homeland has enough stories to tell for at least two seasons, and recent episodes have expanded the show's universe for the better. I love it to death, but even I'm not so sure giving it a long lifetime is a good idea.

How long do you think Homeland should last? Or do you think it would be better as a miniseries?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I just found out about Homeland, call me a late comer, but boy what a find! I love what other people wrote here. The acting is off the charts, the tension fantastic, I truly can't get enough. I feel Danes is phenomenal, so is Lewis and the rest of the crew. Kudos to Homeland's creators to have delivered such a feast for our senses. Of course once spoiled with this level of TV, one becomes very picky, and pouts for more excellence!
Damian Lewis is the best thing on TV. It is refreshing to see an actor portray a role that can make you love him whether he is bad or good. We have had so much garbage to look at from around the TV channel, we need somebody who makes his acting magical.
Well let me add my two cents. If there is no Brody, (Damian Lewis), I will not be watching Homeland. That is for sure and I will no longer have Showtime. That is my right as an American to protest.
let me correct, the series is not going anywhere WITHOUT Danes, Lewis or Patinkin......

I think you have to watch Saul, Brody may have been recruited by the "dark side," however there has to be someone else who has the real power. At the end of the day Brody was programmed to be an instrument of destruction, but who is the real "deep cover agent." My money is on Saul, perhaps he is disillusioned by the politics of war and has an agenda that we cannot see at this point. His calm exterior, belies greater depth. As some have mentioned, the series is not going anywhere with Danes, Lewis or Patinkin and I believe Brody is going to be "rescused" once more only this time, he will be the one chasing down the inside man.
I love this show and I love Damian Lewis. I was so glad to see him again after the early demise of 'Life.' That said, it really does seem too obvious that the Lewis character is the terrorist. I began to think that perhaps he was deep undercover, but with the way he treats his wife and his religious conversion, your guess is as good as mine.

I also don't see how this can go on for a second season without this plotline resolved; I mean really, how long can they pull Carrie along relentlessly dogging him? It has to be ended one way or the other.

This is a great show, but the Lewis character is the glue that holds it together for me, if he's not in the second season, I won't watch. There are enough shows out there with investigators seeking the bad guy. Just because this one hinges on psychotic won't sway me. I'll just watch Dexter.
This is what I think: at the end of the first season we will discover if he is a terrorist or not. In the second season he's going to help them to catch other terrorists. That's the only way I can think of to keep Lewis in the series. But what do I know? Let's wait and see.......
I don't get the channel. But, I am so happy for Damian Lewis. He was amazing on "Life".
I watched the first episode and understand why it is being praised so much, it really is very good, but it didn't interest me at all.
It's being praised because it's awesome.
I just stopped watching after the 2nd episode. Boringgggggg
It will last for many seasons if the writing is good, which I think it will!
The way they show him in the series almost definitely means he is not a terrorist. It would be way too obvious and why would they introduce the other terrorist cell when they already have a sleeper who can get to the president? He obviously beat his friend to death while in prison. But I suppose he was either drugged to do so or forced to do so.
Damian Lewis' is definitely not going to season 2. He will be either in prison or dead by then, regardless of the terrorist/no terrorist line.

That's what I think, at least.

Series is great though. its good to see Showtime doing something better than Dexter.
You're right, except for the Dexter part. Huge mistake!!!
I was with you until the better than Dexter part.
You are comparing this rubbish with Dexter.
Great news. I think it would be better as a miniseries but would hate to see it ends so soon...
My prediction.........

Brody turns out to be NOT a terrorist. He does get contacted by some sleeper and him and Carrie work together to stop the threat. Then he goes to work for the CIA.
It could be foolish for them to attempt to draw out the is he or isn't he intrigue for too long. Just like they ended the surveilance before it got ridiculous, they need to resolve what happened with Brody in captivity or kill him and leave the question hanging as a new plotline appears.
HELLS YEAH! They've just got to play it right, I think. I'm not sure if the is he-isn't he will be able to survive 24 episodes, but there are other things they can play with, bring in, etc. The series could have potential for a much larger plot, but let's see. At the mo it is better suited for a miniseries...but I love the characters too much to see it end so soon. Mandy Patinkin, Damian Lewis and Claire Danes do an excellent job. I'm holding my breath everytime I watch. These guys deserve the extra screen time.
That way of thinking is hurtful to all TV-shows, the one where they make it up as they go along based on if a show has good ratings or not. That is what gives us bad storylines, that is what gives us bad endings. That is what gives us the plotholes, fake progress and yes every other problem related to TV-shows. The audience would NEVER accept this procedure when it comes to movies. That all movies were made with no ending, no conclusion, and the number of sequels (or if there even was going to be a sequel) was decided only based on how many who watched the movie? We would not accept it with books either btw.

This is also what draws quality down, because shows are written just to draw viewers. Just to be "good enough." There is no art involved, on the contrary people are afraid of creative writing or make too big an effort. It is just wrong, in so many ways.

Shows should be written with a beginning, and an ending. In season packages of X episodes. Then the networks would be more picky what they would choose, and the writers would have tp up their efforts if they would want the networks to buy a show with a several season stretched storyline.

I also have a hard time seeing how this show could be streched out over several seasons, without being stupid and also still being good. Better fit as a miniseries. How many seasons did the original get? It is a remake of an israeli show, or based on that show atleast is it not?
Not surprised, but very glad to hear this. Has been the best new show this season by a lot. Not gonna speculate on where they go with it, just gonna enjoy the ride.
I'll hope until I see reason to doubt. Worse news has been had, and "Showtime" has been stepping it up in recent years, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Let character development and revealing of existing relationships be the first season. Then we have the flashbacks to Baghdad and what happened there as a second season. The third season can be preparing terrorist attack and trying to hinder it a la 24. Just guessing.
If Carrie kept her surveillance in the Brody house, I don't think this show could have lasted that long without it getting stupid. But with the surveillance being taken out and based on the tone of some of these episodes, I can see this going on for more than a season without it getting stupid. A lot of viewers may have short attention spans, but I assume it can and often does take a really long time to determine whether or not someone's a terrorist. Even more-so in this situation, as Carrie's still really the only one pursuing this theory. Based on the episodes that have aired, I can see it logically take the rest of the season before Carrie finds anything concrete on Brody being a terrorist.
dragging the story or Not . at least if they drag the story , they drag a show with a good cast members in it!
This show is good and maybe with the "Manchurian Candidate" style story that is shaping up you can draw it out a while, "Ringer" on the otherhand I'm surprised that premise made it past the first 5 episodes and what the hell are they going to do if it gets picked up for a second?
While I truly like this show, I have a hard time seeing how it could go on for many seasons. A second season? Sure. A third season? That might be enough. All stories consist of a beginning, a middle and an ending. Any good story knows when to end in time. And I want this show to realize when its time is up so that we get an ending which is appropriate for its story arch. I don't want this chase for a terrorist turn into a ridiculous and convoluted mess that goes on for far too long and then gets cancelled together with an unsatisfactory ending.
I have the same questions as well but I always have new questions on top of questions after each episode. So I'm sure the writers have something up their sleeve for season 2. So far they're doing a great job, and you'll never hear me say that a good show shouldn't go on.
I agree that it's difficult to continue this story beyond season 1, but hey, who knows. Still, I imagine that season 2 might involve another crisis or big bad.
The premise really seems better suited for a miniseries. But the characters are so rich that it shouldn't be a problem to continue after this season. Carrie/"Homeland" could become some sort of "House" of counterterrorism. But the next season(s) will probably be without Brody (Damian Lewis) and his family. Terrorist or not terrorist, I don't see how he would fit in after this season. There's also a possibility that they mess up the plot but until now they have been pretty sure handed. So I'm optimistic that they can maintain the quality. IMO the best new show so far.
They would really have to mess up the story for me not to watch a show with a cast this great. Though that might also have something to do with me not watching it as a show that's only about unmasking him, as strange as that may sound to some..
they will mess up the story now
as long as the storyline morphs, i have no problem with it continuing

OR the storyline involving Damien Lewis will end at the end of this season, and season 2 will still feature Claire Danes, facing an entirely new threat. Kind of like 24.
I would have no problem watching these characters go after different terrorists.
i think shows like this should only last one season or be a mini-series with specific start and end points, unless they change the storyline. sort of like how season 3 of Torchwood was one contained story called "Children of Earth" and then season 4 was one called "Miracle Day."
Maybe at the end of seanson 1 he turns out to be, in fact, a terrorist. He then goes into hiding while plotting. Season 2 would then be the manhunt.

That's my guess. Dragging on the premise of the series as it stands, seems, as you put it, not a good idea. But who knows, we could be proven all wrong (in a good way).
Really, REALLY!! 24 episodes to unmask 1 guy. This would have been really good for a mini series, but come on how much can they stretch it.