Homeland: The Lying Game

"The Good Soldier" marked the midway point of Homeland's first season and continued the series' steady progression toward television's top tier. The show is leapfrogging others as its twists and turns play a psychological mind game with viewers, and even though 90 percent of television is incredibly predictable, Homeland has surprised me each and every week.

When Carrie met Brody at the bar on Sunday, she told him about how she played chicken with trains when she was younger, and that she was the best (read: craziest) of her friends, staying on the tracks even longer than the so-called tough boys in her neighborhood. And really, what did we expect to hear, that she spent her childhood playing with dolls? This is Carrie Mathison we're talking about. She probably spent her middle school years playing Spin the Bottle, making out with someone, then smashing the bottle across his forehead and crying in the corner.

Anyway, Carrie talked about being attracted to the "heightened" sense of life, the thrill of the dangerous, unknown, and unpredictable. And that's exactly the same sense we get from watching Homeland. I'm not sure "fun" is a good word to describe the show, but holy crap "The Good Soldier" was one entertaining ride.

Last week's episode used an interrogation to great effect, resulting in increased tension and slight cracks in the shells of several characters. This week, everyone was on the other side of the two-way glass after Carrie requested that polygraph tests be administered to anyone who'd come into contact with Brody's lone surviving guard—she's determined to find out who slipped him the razor blade he used to kill himself. This was Homeland's equivalent of putting someone on the shrink's couch and digging around his brain. Think In Treatment, but you know, not boring. Just kidding, In Treatment! Sort of!

And what we learned while hanging out in the observation room is that Carrie isn't the only one in the CIA whose cannon needs some tightening. The CIA is full of seriously screwed up people, whether it's Estes and his broken personal relationships, Saul and his broken personal relationships, or Carrie and her broken personal relationships. Hmmm, it appears we've discovered a trend. We're dealing with a group of "the job comes first" people restrained by bureaucratic red tape that fits like a straight jacket. There's no hero, and that's one thing that makes Homeland so fascinating.

But enough about themes and television devices, let's get to some details. The most interesting polygraph test among the CIA agents was Saul's, by far. Just last week I mentioned in passing that Saul might have passed the razor blade to the prisoner—I forget what it was that made me think of it—something that seemed implausible not too long ago. But his first go with the lie detector was a massive 8.9 on the polygraph Richter Scale fail. He stormed out, came back a day later, and passed. Could he actually have done it and used the extra day to practice beating the test? Is there any real scenario where Saul could be in on whatever terrorism plot that might be in progress? I know he said he flubs it all the time, but isn't that what someone who failed the test would say? The fact that I'm even asking this question is a testament to how much Homeland has infiltrated my brain and is constantly kicking whatever part of it controls paranoia. The show is brilliantly designed to remain open to interpretation, and does a real number on those of us who over-interpret. Homeland, you're killing me. And it's fun.

And still there's so much more to talk about: Brody wailing on Mike's face? Aileen going from Raqim's accomplice to America's Most Wanted? Raqim getting shot to death in the hotel? They're all fine and interesting occurrences, but really, I think we all want to talk about BRODY AND CARRIE IN THE CAR WTF!? Everything fell into place perfectly. Brody's marriage is a mess, Carrie has some creepy stalker fantasy about banging the people she's supposed to haul in, and the two spent an evening engaging in college rugby team levels of drinking. Now that's how you whip up a five-pump romance in the backseat of a practical sedan. The best part of the whole thing? Neither of them acknowledges it was a mistake.

Their liaison set up the incredible finale sequence, with Brody being hooked up to the polygraph and Carrie chomping at the bit to pull the string that's tied to the stick that's propping the box up to set the trap. Only Brody didn't fail the test. In fact, he pranced through it without a blip from the needle, answering the question about the razor blade three times with no discernible change. Carrie, who by this point was freaking out, made Larry the Polygraph Man (played by James Urbaniak) ask him Brody if he'd ever been unfaithful to his wife. Whoa! Carrie! Larry asked the question, and Brody didn't just say, "no"—he looked right into the camera that's connected to Carrie's monitor and said, "F*ck you." Well, he actually said "no," but he meant "f*ck you."

Carrie was obviously frustrated, and later we saw her walking outside of the building. She was on her way to her car when Brody pulled up in his own car and said, "Get in." Carrie did, obviously, because that's exactly the kind of thing Carrie does, and they drove off and oh my god I need more Homeland NOW.

Notes:
Damian Lewis and Claire Danes are fantastic actors. But I wouldn't write too many scenes that involve their characters being drunk. Drunk acting is not their forte.

– We've always suspected that Brody knew about Mike and Jessica, so why did he wait until the party to bring out the fists of pain on Mike? Was it the drink? Was it the public defamation of his character? Did the appropriate time to kick Mike's ass finally present itself? Is there a chance that Brody knew about the affair the whole time, perhaps even while he was still a prisoner of war?

– I'm still wrapping my head around Brody's decision to do a Marine roll call during Walker's memorial. It was kind of awkward, yet kind of touching as a way to honor Walker's duty. I would've loved to see how the rest of that moment played out. Did someone in the back eventually just say "present!" under his breath?

– How great were those polygraph tests? Each one was either heart-wrenching or heart-pounding. Saul just about broke my heart when he talked about his wife. I'm really hoping Mandy Patinkin gets an Emmy nomination for this show.

Homeland is doing great things with female characters. Aileen Morgan is a champ! She's badass!

– Hey Brody, I hear that thinking about baseball helps your little bedroom problem. The Nationals have a promising future!

– CONFIRMED: Morena Baccarin looks hotter with short hair.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Re: the marine roll call -- I thought it was an awkward, but seriously emotional moment. Army Wives is airing in my country at the moment, and there's a scene similar to this one, where the troops are in Iraq, and one of their men had died recently (don't worry, no spoilers...in case other people watch bad TV like me :P) and they did the roll call thing. Maybe it's an army thing? Well, either way, I liked it.

And damn, am I so glad they finally got around to doing it. Blown away by every episode, really. This show better win some freaking awards!
Loving this show too.. but am starting to get a tinge of worry from the whole.. "ooooh! He's a bad guy because of this".. no wait!... "ooooh! he might not be because of that" had gotten a little hammy being in just about every episode. It reminds me of LOST where every characters actions at the start of the episode are seen in a different light at the end. That said.. the twists and storyline are realistic and otherwise very satisfying.
The show is simply amazing! Great cast!

How chilling was that moment when Brody answered "no" to: have you ever been unfaithful to your wife?

Raqim didn't have a chance! Poor bastard!

Brody "performed" just fine with Carrie! LMAO!

I agree with bostonbeliever I've met some crazy guys & gals who are not bipolar they are just sheer reckless & adrenaline junkies...
"I would've loved to see how the rest of that moment played out." Haha, I was thinking the same thing while watching it. After the roll call was over and he was just standing there, I was like "So uh, how does one transition out of that?" Of course, the scene just cut off there and moved on.

As for more important things: I love the fact that they toyed around with Saul's possible involvement with the razor blade. I remember reading it in your article last week, and I had the same thoughts while watching that episode. So I thought it was fun that they had Saul fail that question, then come back, and pass it. Brody's little look to the camera and lie about his faithfulness to his wife was all kinds of awesome.
This show is all class. I'm completely hooked, can't wait to see this carrie-brody thing develop. It's so warped its bloody awesome. We know Carrie's committed to her job, but banging the suspect's on another level - how much of it was premeditated, or did she slip up and let her guard down???
After "The Good Solider" my thoughts are as to whether or not the "a prisoner of war has been turned" is a false flag and while attention is directed toward that path of investigation is the real "plot" being played out under the nose of the CIA? If it's a true piece of intel - why does it have to be a military POW? A "prisoner of war" makes one immediately think military, however, there are other tiers of individuals that could apply to. Right now there are three terrorist suspects - Brody, Saul and Carrie (she did tell Brody about the razor.) Lots of directions yet for this amazing show to go.

ok the show continues ... like almost everyone agrees Homeland is improving from episode to episode.

Regarding this episode. For me Saul is one of the major contenders for the title of villain of the show, and there are two reasons: 1. fails the first tests (but unfortunatly there is no one watching).

2. when the professor is killed the next scene is Saul returning home the next morning. There is also a third reason: why he wants this job in India so badly? Running away from something Saul? I understand that three clues dosent make a 100% evidence, but they grow a cloud of suspicioun over Sauls head.

As for Brody: When he said he has not cheated on his wife, for me is totally normal, he did not lie. I think he already knew about the betrayal before returning home, but as always we must keep up appearances, especially when the TV is arount and you are the new hero in town. most likely in his mind he is not married anymore and that is why when he had sex with Carrie he didnt betray anybody.

Carrie, hmmm ... love is in the Air nanananannaaaaa
Regarding Brody and the "unfaithful" question I had the same thoughts!

-Tim! Stop it with the "crazy" talk! I feel like a broken record, saying this every week...

Carrie is bipolar. Bipolar disorder usually comes into its full strength in the late teens. Carrie's success at Chicken was more to do with her being tomboyish, competitive, self-confident, and a thrill-seeker. Plenty of those in the world-doesn't make you crazy.

-"She probably spent her middle school years playing Spin the Bottle, making out with someone, then smashing the bottle across his forehead and crying in the corner." Really, Tim? Smh...

-Also, since she's currently on medication, her mood swings are pretty mild. She's not "crazy". Her actions are open to interpretation as to whether they are the right decisions to make (having sex with Brody? Probably not...), but she's quite sane.

-Anyways, this is still the best new show of the Fall season, by far. It's better than most returning shows, too. And I must say, I'm proud of Showtime: no gratuitous nudity in this episode! So mature of them!
Carrie has now officially passed Hooch in the crazy category.
Hooch is crazy. :D Man I miss Scrubs.
Me too. :-( I still watch the musical episodes on youtube a few times a week.
Looking forward to the mini-Scrubs reunion on Cougar Town though!
You and me both!
Each episode is better than the previous. Loved it! Each situation can be interperted many different ways. And how good does the next ep look? It is such a gripping show. Awesome!! On the notes:

- Yes, very few actors can act drunk and many have said it's one of the hardest parts acting.

- I think he suspected it but Mike pretty much confirmed it. Or like another commenter said, he felt it was the appropriate way to act, though I doubt it.

- That was awkward. Thought he would say something after a while.

- Awesome!!

- I agree, Aileen was clearly the dominant partner. Carrie is still the ultimate badass though. :D

- LMAO

- Definitely, way hotter with the short har, no question.
Homeland got real good this episode.

I wonder why they didn't ask the negative questions. Aren't polygraphs supposed to include questions with deliberate false answers to get the good baseline?
Staff
I think they did that once or twice? But you're right, the questions were overwhelmingly in the affirmative!
EPIC SHOW.... like it very much.... could easily be my new lost :) ( you know.. characters... evolving.... having an agenda that you dont understand and misjudge... that kinda thing....

so its Fringe and Homeland for me.... I just love television!
Well firstly it is more like the new '24', considering the writers are from there. Anyway you should also check out 'American Horror Story', you wont be hooked immediately but after a few episodes you will realize it is the second best new show of the season after Homeland!
AHS is on my list of shows I need to watch. I'll get around to it eventually
I'm so damn happy I gave this show a chance, because its blowing my mind each week. I've given up guessing anything because each week something else epic happens and I'm either left with more questions to my original questions or new questions to go along with those questions and now I'm just confused and loving it
Such a compelling show! The relationship built over the past weeks between Brody and Carrie is just pure fireworks - when they are on screen together they completely change, esp. Brody that seems much more in control (than Carrie obviously but in general). The show is great at getting you paranoid and conspiratorial.... so i do wonder whether indeed Carrie's spilling the beans while drunken was a ploy? And it is kind of obvious (in a paranoid way) that Brody was turned but he should come out in the end as a double agent? But I expect we will keep wondering for a while in whose team he is actually playing for real (for unreal playing in all teams I'd guess) - Everyone saw B&C hooking up coming but still the car scene was both shocking and completely in character
They really know how to make great use of a plot device! Besides raising suspicion about everybody who took the polygraph test it was a nice occasion for everybody to get back at Carrie. It was funny to watch Carrie in an almost cocky mood at the beginning of her own session and then being asked by the interrogator if she ever took illegal drugs during her time at the CIA. Not so cocky anymore... I'm sure this is going to haunt her in some way. After this, Estes - knowing that she would be listening to his statement - basically accused her of ruining his marriage (at least that's how I understood his remarks). Then there was Saul telling about his ailing marriage which must have made Carrie feel incredibly bad (after acting out against him like an ungrateful teenager last week). And then of course there was Brody telling her right in her (camera) face that he's able to beat the lie detector. Her reaction to that clearly made Saul suspicious. So her polygraph idea really exploded right in her face.

As others already noted it's hard to find a motive behind Brody's revelation that he's able to lie at a polygraph. From a terrorist point of view it doesn't appear to make any sense at all. Unless he just enjoys the cat-and-mouse-game, but in that case his character would lose a lot of credibility. If he's not a terrorist it might have been a way of telling her that he knows exactly what she is up to/knows about her suspicions. Anyway, the writers will have a hard time to come up with a credible motive. I also can't make sense of why Carrie would prepare Brody for the test by telling him what it was about. It would be a very "expensive" way of gaining his trust. It almost raises suspicion about herself...

About Brody finally beating up Mike: I knew it would be in this episode when Jessica told Brody that she gave his fellow prisoner's wife a hard time for remarrying while she was waiting for him to return home. This was a moment of unbearable hypocrisy. For a second I thought he would explode right there.

The show continues to be great in its details: of course Carrie loves a crazy genius like Thelonious Monk while Saul prefers the intellectual but also spiritual and contemplative John Coltrane.

There are some plot twists in this episode which will be hard to justify. I hope the show doesn't go downhill in the second half of the season. The first half - including this episode - really has been brilliant!

I think Brody's polygraph was spot on for a sleeper agent. He may suspect but he does not know for certain that Carrie was behind the glass watching or that she was behind the fidelity question. He is being groomed by the military brass and key political influencers to be at the very least the military's golden boy, if not for high political office, and the deeper he penetrates the better for his access to intel and his terrorist mission (assuming he is indeed a sleeper). The man is a control freak, and he had a pathological need to pass every question on the polygraph. Even if he is a sleeper agent, the polygraph was merely a challenge to Brody, a game to win, and the only one who might know the extent to which he beat the machine is Carrie, whom he believes he has over a barrel because of their drunken tryst.

Carrie is pathologically impulsive; we saw this in the first episode where she infiltrated the Baghdad prison for one last conversation with her doomed asset, which created an international incident and professionally damaged her, Saul and Estes, and over and over since then. She is incapable of considering the consequences of her actions, even in retrospect, instead convincing herself in the moment that whatever she has decided is the only possible course of action available to achieve the desired outcome. She leaked the reason for the polygraph to Brody because she could not help herself - she does want to earn his trust, both because she believes he is a sleeper agent whom she wants to take down and because she is caught in an unhealthy attachment to him. She is infatuated with the man. She will tell herself it is the job and she is only playing him, but she is incapable of making those distinctions. Saul even pointed this out to her, in a scene after they took down the Brody house surveillance, where she complained that she felt she was missing something, and Saul said what she was missing was him, Brody, and that is was not uncommon to become fixated on a target.

Carrie and Brody are both playing with fire because they cannot help themselves; they are emotional pyromaniacs at opposite ends of the spectrum. Brody is a calculating, controlled burner and Carrie is an emotional, impulsive firestarter.
More +
You make some good points! Nevertheless I still have a hard time to believe that a real sleeper agent would voluntarily lie on more questions than necessary during a polygraph test, even regard it as a game. This would be exceptionally reckless behavior - and we've seen in this episode what happens to terrorists who raise suspicion... So IMO it only makes sense as a gesture to Carrie but I really don't know to what end.

And I'm also still desperately trying to rationalize Carrie's behavior in the bar/parking lot. (It's kind of hard for me to "willfully suspend my disbelief" for purely psychological explanations.) Until now she was portrayed as a brilliant agent (she has fans in the agency) with a strange personality whose pathologies don't appear to affect her effectiveness at her job. Maybe she is deliberately acting to be more naive than she actually is around Brody to gain his trust and mislead him into underestimating her. And let's not forget that she went to the bar with a clear objective in mind (make him take the polygraph test he just had declined to do) and that's what she achieved (not with the result she expected, though). And her making love to him wouldn't be out of character either: that she has a casual approach to sex and that she is willing to use sex to get what she wants was more than once hinted at in the previous episodes. - And, admittedly, it also appears that there's some real attraction involved. - I really wonder how it all plays out next week!
More +
Another great episode from a great show.

So regarding the polygraphs; Both Saul and Brody's are up for scrutiny right? Brody because Carrie caught him in a lie that didn't flag up on the polygraph in that he had never cheated on his wife even though his knees still showed the carpet (car seat cover)-burn from the previous night! If he lied successfully on that count, surely the rest of it can't be believed. The thing I loved was watching Carrie watch him answer the question. She knew he was lying, but couldn't say anything to Saul because how could she tell him she'd just slept with her no.1. suspect!

Saul because he basically failed the test, pinging on the question of the razorblade. Only to get a second attempt after going home for the night to calm down... The question I have is, are polygraphs more accurate when you're all fired up like he was on his first test, or when you're all nice and relaxed??

I love that we just don't know where this show is going. I am now edging towards Saul being dodgy - there's the polygraph, but also another couple of things where the writers are putting in questions. For instance the Asian wife, and the possibility of relocating out to Asia. Are they putting this in to try and make us think - Asia=terrorist? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out :)

I also thought that it was strange the his answer to the razor blade question was not paid closer attention to. The fact that straight after that answer he had his little spat attack about needing to go back to work and not having time for the polygraph... well it was just too convenient. Anyone think that possibly Saul is not as good a guy as we're being led to believe?
This show is getting better with each episode! It started of rather slow with the first two or three episodes, but then it took up pace and is IMHO now the best show out there!

The best scene was definitely Brody beating the polygraph while looking at the cam. Boy, Carrie was upset!

I can't wait for the finale to find out if Brody really is a terrorist or if he is just following his own agenda to get revenge on his captors. Or if he's just embarrased he murdered his best buddy under torture.
Brody lied about being unfaithful during his polygraph, he might have lied about the razor as well. Or maybe he was telling the truth about being faithful. Maybe He and Carrie never had sex. Knowing Carrie she might have just made the whole thing up in her head. This show is seriously making med doubt my own thoughts. Paranoia ftw!
I reckon Saul took a pill to calm his nerves before taking the second test - he wouldn't have known the first one was coming and didn't have time to prepare.

How awesome are Claire Danes and Damian Lewis!

Not sure I agree about the short hair. There seems to be some consensus that the longer hair was a bad wig, my feeling is very few people can carry off the pixie cut and she ain't one of them.

I doubt he knew who Jessica was getting it on with, more likely he suspected it would be someone just not know. It probably took a bit of time to work it out - plus his daughter all but told him. The guy is always over at the house, taking his son to karate etc. Mind you, the son asked his Dad to go to karate with him and Brody forgot. What's the kid supposed to do? Go alone? Brody should be grateful there's someone there for his kids, even if the motivation isn't entirely honourable.

All CIA people should be able to fake a polygraph test. They're all born liars so a test should be a walk in the park.

CAn't wait for next week. There better not be any more baseball that's all i can say. And I'd like to see the Israeli original. It's probably even more exciting.
This show has totally gotten to my sense of paranoia! I love all the intricacies you can over analyse.

I'm almost certain Saul is lying on his polygraph - On his first test it seems he is lying about his real name, and handing the Hamid the razor blade. Also, if you look carefully, there are two spikes that come past on the polygraph after the razor blade question, indicating possible deception about the prior question about whether he was planning on telling the truth. His breathing patterns also seem like he is trying to control the outcomes of the tests. Another subtlety the show throws in in a following seen is when Brody states 'I could tell them my name, it would sound like a lie' - classic foreshadowing. His connections to India certainly could have something to do with his secrets. And I think Saul has some deep secrets.

I noticed a couple of interesting things around Brody - His military service awards get ripped half off during his scuffle with Hamid, you can notice this in the original scene and when Carrie is re-watching the footage you clearly see Hamid's hand right there (Carrie even briefly pauses on it). Did he get the razor then? If so, why did Brody want him dead, because he is a terrorist (I don't buy that) or because he didn't want his secrets about what he did in captivity coming out (beating his friend).

When Brody kicks Mikes ass there is an awesome moment right before, when Brody looks around - I think he has suspected, or known about, Mike and Jessica for a while. Is this the moment that it's finally confirmed in his head and he loses it or is he faking the emotion because he knows it would be an appropriate reaction that he doesn't completely feel. If he's faking it, is that because he still hasn't adjusted to normality and wants to fit in (act as others would) or because he actually wants to deceive those around him for more devious purposes. Damian Lewis is one great actor.

Another interesting thing about Brody, why does he bother showing he can lie on a polygraph, I don't think they fax the results back to your wife, he had no incentive *as a terrorist* to do so. This makes me believe even more he isn't a terrorist, if he was, he surely would have told the truth or let it show as a lie. So why prove how easy it is to fake...

I now also want to know what David Estes was doing by the desk in video of Brody and Hamid fighting. kj1974 is quite right, it does look like he may put something on the desk. So add him to the list.
This show is SO good!! Every episode is better and better. What is Carrie thinking sleeping with Brody?! I must say I perfer Brody's wife with longer hair! :)
1. Who the eff is Aileen Morgan ?!?

2. Why write f*ck twice in a statement, censor one of it and leave the other as it is?

Please enlighten the poor mortal. Thanks.
I'd like to follow up with a question to you:

Why use f*ck twice in one comment, use 'eff' once and 'f*ck' in the other? Hehe.
Aileen Morgan is a character. She's the blonde terrorist who's married to Raqeem.
Staff
Aileen Morgan is the surviving half of "the couple who bought the house near the airport," the ones who took off and avoided getting blown up only to have poor Faisal go down in a spray of bullets. Re: your second question, that's my fault, I messed it up when I was editing Tim's story. Sorry!
I think it's the hypocrisy that pushed Brody to react the way he did. Mike started wailing on the crippled guy, not so much because he was being an ass but because he was going to spill the beans and Brody saw that, he saw that what his so called friend wanted to do was shut up the man who spoke the truth.
LOVING this show!!! And I am totally suspecious of David Estes. While Carrie was watching the video of Brody and his former guard fighting, David was seen in the background walking up to the table, fishing in his pocket and putting something on the table, but apparently Carrie was so intent on watching the fight, that she missed it. Also, my take on David's polygraph, he was purposely being agitated on the questions he was answering truthfully, so that he would appear to be answering truthfully on the razor blade question. And I'm assuming that the person he cheated on his wife with was Carrie, so he could direct that anger at her.

One question I do have (of many): Why did Carrie tell Brody what the polygraph was about when they were drunk, standing outside her car? I'm assuming she had a reason for telling him, but I can't figure what her angel was. It seems to me the element of surprise would have been better.
Having read your comment, I decided to go back and watch it again. It was a good catch -- I didn't see it at first viewing -- but yes, Estes does seem to put his hand on the table once or twice without apparent reason. It doesn't appear that anything is left on the table though. The theory is a little hard to believe as well, just because leaving a razor blade on the table would be a bit to obvious, what with other people and a camera still in the room. Interesting theory though... I've nitpicked theories on other shows that sometimes turned out to be true, so I'm certainly not dismissing the idea.
Holy crap haha, I didn't even notice that. Three way tie for terrorist suspect now. What a great show.
What a brilliant catch! I must go back and look at that scene again. This show is mind-boggling - is there anyone not playing an angle?
"Why did Carrie tell Brody what the polygraph was about when they were drunk, standing outside her car?"

My bet is that by revealing this she's trying to keep herself on Brody's good side, wich she could use in the future. The way the episode turned out I would say she played him quite nicely.

Also im agreeing with: "even though 90 percent of television is incredibly predictable, Homeland has surprised me each and every week." Just when I thought I was starting to figure this show out something weird happens and I'm completely off-track.

Don't agree with the last statement though, she was way hotter with the longer haircut <3!
OMG I went back and saw the Estes scene on the video which Carrie watches and have now added one more person on my list of suspicious people which now is practically everyone! Love this show!
Tim, I am right with you on this episode. Completely off the hook! I think I kind of jokingly mentioned back on your "Breaking Bad" reviews that "Homeland" could maybe be the next one, and I think this first season is definitely making that case. Anyway, to the episode. Just insane. The number o f shocking moments plus the number of tension-building moments equals super awesome!! Plus, Carrie just went full on, well, Carrie this episode. And Brody went full on, ... Brody. Every character this episode was very that character and it just took it to a whole new level. LOVE it.

Notes

-Fantastic actors the both of them. Drunk won't serve too much more for the show, so I'm not worried about it.

-Emotions run high at a funeral, and with everything on edge plus the upcoming polygraph test, and the steam bubbled just enough over the lid to make it happen. That's my take.

-My father's US Army. That's not actually as unique of a situation as you might think. It's not common at all, but I've seen it happen before once or twice. People usually turn it into a moment of silence for the fallen comrade.

-Mandy Patinkin!!!!! (Sorry to keep going with this one) He's got my Emmy vote!!

-Aileen Morgan is pretty sweet, and I canNOT wait to see more of her.

-Word.

-My lone disagreement. Much hotter on "Firefly" with the long brown waves.
Totally agree TIm. This episode was jaw-droppingly good.

Did you notice how Carrie's face lit up when Brody walked into the polygraph? She was trying to school her reaction because Saul was in the room but he could tell she was agitated. She is infatuated with Brody. She is making every effort to prove the man is a terrorist sleeper agent and a traitor to his country - while she is making goo-goo eyes at him from the wrong side of the one-way mirror. The woman is an impossible tangle of contradictions and I adore her. She will assume Saul thinks her edginess is due to her determination to find Brody guilty, but her fidelity question sparked his curiosity. Her crazy attachment to Brody is at once compelling and repulsive - he is playing Carrie like a fiddle, or so he thinks, and it is edge-of-the-seat watching these two.

Brody is bizarre and fascinating as the returned POW with PTSD who so calmly and calculatingly manipulates every single person in his life. I think Brody has known about Mike and Jess, at least since he returned home, and he waited to acknowledge, to use it to his advantage. Unfortunately it happened drunkenly at a memorial reception, but Brody is still in control of the situation. This is the key to Brody - he is always in control of the situation.

This episode totally made Saul a suspicious character, which now makes be think Estes is more suspect than a pain in the a** bureaucrat as well. The dumping on marriage at the polygraph - that was just weird, and a little contrived. I am not certain if we are meant to feel that way or not, which is brilliant - I am suspicious of everything now. Love this show.