Hope for Heroes Now

(Spoiler alert, obviously.) In Monday's season finale of Heroes, Samuel tried to have his big coming out party in Central Park. The plan was to bury a few thousand New Yorkers in one of his signature craters, and hopefully to be heralded as the king of the world. But as the carnival subplot wrapped up, a new volume began. Claire pulled a stunt in front of a hoard of news reporters, and jumped off the top of a Ferris wheel. And just like that, everyone found out about the "specials."

Which means that for next season (if there is one), we're promised a whole new world.

Let's take a quick stroll down memory lane, shall we? This season, the mind-reader Matt Parkman came into his own as he fought to keep Sylar trapped in his own mind. He went through hell—and even managed to get himself shot by police—to ensure Sylar would not break free and start wreaking havoc again. It took awhile, but Matt Parkman single-handedly tamed Sylar—and in doing so, joined Noah Bennet, Peter Petrelli, Claire, and Sylar as a core character. It's clear that at the end of the show, when an epic battle finally goes down, Matt Parkman will be a part of it.

Aside from Parkman, the only real character development we saw this season came from Sylar and Peter—everyone pretty much stayed the same. Not to mention that the season suffered from dismal dialogue and slow-moving storylines that were riddled with holes.

So with last night's finale in mind, here are my hopes for what's next:

Immediate momentum and tight, juicy plots
This season of didn't just have a slow start, it had a terrible start. The plots were disconnected and poorly developed. It felt like a continuation of Season 3—by far the weakest to date. Even worse, it could have been significantly shorter; the writers often used multiple episodes to explain what should've been said in one. Here's hoping there's some serious streamlining ahead.

More character development
Much of Season 1's power came from quality characters like heroin-addled Isaac Mendes. Parkman, in finally working up some stones and trapping Sylar trapped in his own mind, joined Noah Bennet, Peter Petrelli, Claire and Sylar as a solid character. But where else can these people go? Can we get some fresh blood?

More action
Tim Kiring, here's your homework: Watch the Jason Bourne films, paying careful attention to a technique called the "quick cut." Don't let characters stand around talking. Pack in the good stuff

Because all in all, last night's finale certainly didn't restore Heroes to its Season 1 levels of greatness—but at least it gave the show a renewed sense of promise.

What did you think of the finale?

Honestly, the theme of the season was pointless...

Throughout the season they showed Samuel and his crappy carnival... and you saw how he got defeated !... (Peter and Sylar could have been given a better role than that)

Dear Mr. Tim Kring, (and others involved):

How did Samuel bury the whole town in s04e16 when there were no "heroes" around, and lost his Power completely (in the last episode), when there WERE Peter, Sylar, Doyle, Emma, etc nearby. ???

As said previously, the whole season could have been of around 5 episodes !
This finale did make me flash back to the feelings I had for the show in season 1, I do still love the show but ever since season 1 I think everyone has been waiting for another season 1/early season2.....hopefully they will go back to the roots of what made everyone fall in love with this show, and I have to say that this last episode DID give me hope......I can honestly say I cant wait for the next season
I hope heroes gets another season but i dont think it will happen
Ok, when Claire fell to the ground then resnapped her arm and did the whole "I'm Claire Bennett and this is attempt number. . ." I get the whole symmetry to where we started in the pilot episode, but come on! Did everyone, especially our Heroes themselves, forget about when Claire's bio-dad Nathan tried to tell the world about them just last season and his own brother Peter shot him to keep the truth about the 'specials' from ruining the future where Claire had black hair and an attitude and the world chased and locked up heroes because an entire city was nuked by "good Sylar" going nuclear upon some devestating news? Understandably, all of us, including the heroes themselves, could forget this huge fact, seeing as so many volumes, chapters, and characters were packed into Season 3, but could Claire really forget that Peter almost. . well actually DID KILL his own brother to prevent a future from happening where the world knew about the heroes. Then, Nathan (saved by Linderman, or was it?!) went on in his twisted mentality to capture and segregate all the specials from 'normal' society for the second half of the season until he was convinced of his mistake. It seems that Claire should know better than to include the world in the hero knowledge, seeing as either extreme has resulted in disaster for the future of our heroes.
The set up for the next season is the only way Heroes could continue and be something worth watching. Every season has suffered from a claustrophobicly narrow world in which A)The "Specials" were a secret to the world that could not be revealed and B) The only people to interact with were people who knew the secret. It also seems as if there is no supervisor for the writing: From one episode to the next or sometimes from scene to scene the characters reverse their actions or plans. This is a sign of two writers with two ideas fighting each other. In Improv acting there is a rule called "Yes and" which means that you have to accept what has come before in the scene for the scene not to die for an audience. The characters themselves have not stayed consistent in the writing. There is a lot of Deus Ex Machina going on. I still see potential in the characters but without a singular focus for the seasons it just becomes a waste of time that people will be angry at for having had watched.
I'm done with Heroes, it's just bad television now and life's too short for that.
I truly hope Heroes is done. The show held such promise, especially in the first part of season 2, before the writer's strike took it's toll. The past two seasons have been absolutely awful, with no focus, and no lasting changes. And seriously, it degenerated into "The Sylar Show" - he's bad, he's good, we don't know, oh wait, he's bad, he's lonely, etc. The writer's obsession with Sylar was so bad, they even had to show him in two storylines at once this season (in Matt's head and the amnesiac Sylar/Nathan) If there was a point to show him changing for the better, the plotline in Villains would have been a more organic, sensible way to go about it rather than this haphazard drek that was fed to the audience. Goodbye Sylar show, make room for good television.
But still the giant elephant in the room is...why have the ratings for viewers dropped so low? Yes it has problems that must be corrected..starting with the writers.
I should add it's not a bad show by a long shot. Lost, my other favorite was a whipping post for bloggers too, the bashing went over board. Shows that challenge me are inspiring. I despise Reality TV, dime a dozen & imo all crapola. American Idol sucks big time imo, so I obviously have different taste than the majority of viewing public.

Most people seem to enjoy mindless drivel as an escape. At least Lost & Heroes is smart, stimulates. Not run of the mill giggly T & A crap like 2 1/2 men.

'Caprica' is starting to interest me. To each his own but Heroes has potential like Lost to turn it around & be good next season..fingers crossed.

I also love Milo & would hate to see him vanish from my TV viewing!
The writing has become lazy. For instance when Samuel captured Lauren & told Eli to 'take care of her' at the carnival. Eli didn't even give a lame excuse as to how Lauren managed to run from the multiply man'. Eli tells Samuel she 'got away' that was evasive & irritating. But, since I'm invested now, by all the season's dvd's & download the ones I missed this season I want Heroes to redeem itself because I'm addicted even when it's crap. I have to find out what's happening next so I'll eatch until the end which I hope is thru at least Season 5. Also I have a love/hate relationship with Sylar & Claire both annoy the hell out of me but I can't seem to stop watching & marveling how much I want them to die.
I don't really follow the complaints people seem to have regarding this season and seasons past. It is a drama. Drama tends to focus on character development and interaction. Elevations and falls, redemptions, backsliding...all the things that happen in every day life. All this complaining about there not being enough action is rather absurd, along with the complaint of there being too many 'Specials' or plot holes because some characters were used more as MacGuffins and less as core characters. Has it occurred to anyone that there is a plot written somewhere that has these 'lost' people coming back? How many times has Tracy Strauss been 'out' yet we see again her being called on? It's a matter of time before lost heroes return. Perhaps they may never, it isn't like everyone matters to the basic movement of the ground storyline.

I am just not sure what people expect from a dramatic show that borrows so heavily [and is formatted on] comic books and other mythos? Improbable rescues, weak defeats, mismatched face offs...these are all part of that culture and so become a part of this culture. You never hear people complain about the lameness or improbability of something in an action film. Why is that? Because those fans accept that it is all a part of what makes it great in the first place, doing things that really cannot be done.

I am not even a long running fan of the show, I have watched all four seasons in about a month. Very few shows would keep me interested past half a season and this had me watching back to back episodes into the wee hours of the dawn. I say leave it alone, see where it goes. After all if it was so bad...why did you all watch the finale anyway? Why didn't you walk earlier in the season or even earlier than that?
I would have wished that SYlar could have shown his true redemption in the finale - and the die before the writers decided to make him go evil. Again. And good again. Then evil and so on - like they've done so far. Samuel would have had to go (as in die) of course - because he's a crappy villain. He's just a made-up nutjob with no charisma. Boriiiing. Apart from that, yes, HRG should have died. The way they were rescued was just so stupid. The plots surrounding Edgar and "Multiple Guy" were also hole ridden and... Claire? Don't get me started on how annoying she is. This show needs to get a good closure and then just end already. I wish it wasn't like that but - I can't see it surviving. It just gets worse with every episode and the only reason I still watch it is... well, I guess I'm 50% stubborn and 50% dumb?! ;)
It didn't feel like a season finale, it felt like a series finale. And it was a let down. Noone got killed (except Lydia).

In every episode of this season there was one character about to die, noone did. It's not morbid, but if you want a great action show, you need to kill some people.

Parkman should have died when he was shot by cops, Sylar shouldn't want to be good, Edgar was supposed to be a badass and never got into a real fight (just a few lame seconds against Peter).

The "Multiple guy" defeat was pathetic. Was he dumb enough to let the real him face Sylar? Yes.

I don't know what to expect from a fifth season. Unless there are some real changes, this ship has sunk.
well i can pretty much predict what is going to happen. they are trying to get to where future peter came back because they were hunting the ones with ability, and as always, hiro will go back.. or someone will go back, idk.. sylar, peter, i dont care much about it, anyways someone will go back and prevent claire from jumping, but before that they will develop a whole good plot line, but by preventing claire from jumping, all that good storyline will be lost because they will change it all.. and so the story repeats itself. again
No, there is no hope for Heroes. Just no.
When I saw last season, I thought, oh well, atleast next season won't be as bad. Guess I was wrong. this season was far far worse then last one. Absolutely no sense in the characters, Peter-Syler breaking the wall for one full episode, I mean, can't you guys create a proper story line for just 19 episodes? C'mon, close the series, spare us from the trauma of watching it any more.
Finale: C+. Season: B-. The path to the season end from the beginning, meander too much for me to say it had focus . . maybe that was to paint mystery instead of spelling out the doom to prevent, but to me, it seemed like a mad rush at the end to accomplish such, and then the confrontation did not feel so epic to me. In the end, between Samuel and Peter, I felt like someone just pulled the batteries, no war, no sense of doom, just some dirt shoving. What I did like, throughout the season, was character development/interaction, especially HRG and Claire (who for the 1st in a long while wasn't a always whiny child).

I look forward to another season, tentatively, and hope they explore the brave new world and not just the same ole characters going through the same ole grinds. They've found themselves, now we need to find the rest of the world, in my opinion.
The season final was a bit of a let down, they could have done more with it. Still hope it returns, but they need to make it more like season 1. One or a couple of villains with huge powers killing some of the main characters in epic battles, or something like that would be cool.
I found this season a definite improfement on the last season aspecialy the season finale i hope sincerely that there will be a next season. they hav e proven that they can improve after the the last 3 setbacks. so i trust that they will continue to improve.
The finale was definitely not a cliffhanger. The whole season did not make me look forward to the next volume.
1st vonkrek youre a douch and don't understand what is happening here...

2nd there are 2 things missing from the series, to make it like it used to be A. Destiny, in season 1 Mendez use to write the 9th Wonder, everyone had to do his part to save the world. In addition even though there was a pattern they followed, there was mystery on to what they should do B. We need more action. in season 1 and 2 there where battles, swords deaths, last Season there was the greatest battle in season finale with Peter Nathan and Sylar but we didn't get to watch!!!!! All we saw was Claire's Blue eye through the door! And in this season (4) i was waiting for a battle or something and guess what, there was a battle...... in the LAST EPISODE!!!

These are the only 2 things the sow needs can't they do these??
Yea, the creepy Samuel is no more. Man, that guy (actor) gave me the willys. Please no comeback for that dude, please. Sylar now is a "hero", who would want to kill off a main part of the show? Clair is OK, although the clair bear lines are enough to gag a person. The finale was good for me, just can't seem to stop watching this show. Hope it stays around, I hear there are 5 open viewing slots around 10:00 pm on NBC, thank you god.
I hate to see negative comments on this season. This volume was almost back to volume one standards. Samuel was a great villain, perhaps even greater than season one Sylar, the way he had his outburst and then his breakdown... Great acting and great character. I would have liked to see a sadder breakdown (cut out "I never liked Carnivals" and show him running and screaming a little more, maybe drop a tear xP).

One thing I wish they would do in is kill Sylar off. He should have died at the end of Volume 1 when Hiro stabbed him. Now they've made him a good guy again and I hate him again, almost as much as I hate Claire. The two most annoying characters, and the writers made them invincible. -_-'

Show more Noah doing field work, show more Peter being a hero and for Christ's sake bring Mohinder back! I really don't see why some people hate him, he is the scientific aspect to the show, the genius who has all the answers, just cut out all of his rambling and get to the point with him.

PS: Where DID Tracy go? maybe they're setting up another story there. ;)
I thought the finale was a letdown, but I'm not with Anna's suggestions, which looks like she didn't even watch the season at all. Universally, everyone has agreed this year was a return to from for Heroes, which buckled down on focused storytelling, and character development for nearly everyone. The problem was the pacing was slow, and like season 1, it built to an unsatisfying conclusion. Where was all the action? Not enough of the characters got to really "do" anything in this last episode.
Yeah someone shoulda died, its ridiculous how everybody stays around, specially characters as annoying as claire. Kill Matt, Mohinder, claire, and stop putting in so many new "specials" thats whats gonna ruin more this show, so many stories to follow, kept it simple, entertaining and plausible.
Should have killed off Noah....now we're going to get more "I only want to protect you, Claire-bear" speech....cringe.
I liked this one
Speaking of holes in the story. Anyone remember Monica???
Are you freaking kidding me? "Hope for heroes", "how to save heroes", "Heroes deserves a second chance", How much are they paying you???!! Read the comments for once, nobody's buying it anymore.
Heroes Sucks!!!!!
Heroes started great (S1), dove into mediocrity (S2), showed moments of greatness (S3/4), and has left us with a tiny little ounce of hope. I'd like to see this go one of two ways:
1. Let Samuel (and maybe another member or two of the carnival gang) be the villains, but turn the show into more of a Justice League, without the cheese (e.g. Smallville).
2. Let the story be the acceptance v. fear of the "specials", with a more politically focused set of themes and plots (e.g. X-men movies).

Otherwise, we'll get one more season of disconnected drama that either be, again, mediocre or worse, crap.
This season was boring, and the finale wasn't much better. Unfortunately I'm not feeling hopeful for the next season, I wish though. It's been going downhill since season 1, and I'm scared that the 5th will just be worse than season 4.
this season is really really awful ! they should cancel it
Wow, some people really don't know what they want. Fresh blood? Has everybody already forgot about those two latino's? "Too much characters" everybody screamed, so they killed off everybody for good and stuck to the core (the same core you named twice and it took you four years to discover Parkman was a part of).
Whatever this show is going to do next, people want to bash it no matter what. I liked how we started with a brave new world, though I agree it was too much talk and kind of out of the blue. But still, I hope they'll get a shorter season with a bigger budget to wrap up the series, or perhaps a movie, because if the complainers are right about one thing, it's that the show has run out of options.
That episode looked like it could pass for a series finale. And given the ratings it's highly doubtful that it will return. If it did come back there's no way it could last a full season. The extension from 13 episodes to 19 was likely due to NBC wanting to fill in the time before the Olympics but not wanting to start a new show for fear of hurting it.

When fans of a show call for it's cancellation, you know it's over. If by some chance the show gets renewed, I won't watch it. The show is over. It's never going to be good again because the producers don't need it to. At this point, everyone's just waiting for the pink slip.
Heroes is here to stay. Redemtion was not quite Genesis, but miles over any other Volume.
That was a quick season
Heroes worked because of the mystery and the quick introduction of fun characters with the possibility of not knowing who is good or who is bad. Now it is clear. He is good, he is bad. The whole good-vs-evil thing got played out. The Sylar build up in season one was great. Now after 4 years and Spock--(Sylar) has finally flipped---I guess he can now bake with that apron now--we are suddenly supposed to feel invested. Now that Claire Bear has opened the book on the specials--are we going to get an X-Men vibe. However it falls apart or comes together I agree that NBC needs to give them a short leash to wrap it up well.
Great! There is another Volume for Heroes! Sylar's been the bad guy for so long, being one of the good guys now needs a little getting used to.. "I'm a Hero" -- Sylar... and whatever happened to Mohinder?.. oh and Samuel's exit? lame.
I absolutely agree with VONKREK.

When a show becomes a playball between (non)fan comments and network commercial demands, something must give and that's never a good thing. In Heroes's case the lack of longterm vision is it's greatest weakness.

One advice to all commentators : If you don't like a show, don't watch it. I left Heroes after a couple episodes in season 3, but came back while 'zapping' and falling in to a new episode I liked.
"They need to bring back the Mohinder narration"
I am pretty sure that I read that Heroes would be back next season. I like this ending. Left Samuel open to come back as a bad guy if need be. They need to have some new bad guys next season, and more complex story lines.
Here's what I got from this finale:
Noah (as much as I love him) should have died. They pulled off that scene very well, I thought, and I was totally prepared to let him go and actually give a crap when he went. But then he was saved and all is well...like always.

Secondly, finally showing an angry side of Samuel just shows how much of a bad ass he could have been while still keeping some of the niceness/creepiness he had for most of the season. I agree with most people that each season of Heroes should have had a new villain (Sylar should have died off at the end of the first season), and Samuel was underwhelming in the end. Once he made his crater in NYC and everyone panicked, running in all directions, what was his plan then?

Thirdly, way back when season one was reaching it's climax I thought it would be such an awesome twist if they had some way to flip flop Sylar and Peter on the good guy/bad guy fence. Could you imagine how much more entertaining season two would have been if we saw Peter reduced to nothing but soulless monster, and Sylar was one of the ones we routed for? Instead we wasted 4 seasons of Sylar changing his mind every two seconds on his morals and at this point (now that it seems I've gotten my wish) I just don't care, nor do I believe it anymore.

And finally, on the subject of the world knowing about the heroes: This is something that should have begun at the end of season two once Sylar took down Peter and there was a whole moral dilemma of whether or not people like Sylar could really be forgiven for their sins. Then by the time this season was ending we would have had season three all about heroes on the run and then season four could have been about a war between heroes and non heroes, followed by whatever could have become of season five...damn I should write for NBC...

It wasn't a terrible finale, but more than being entertaining, it just caused me to feel down about what heroes could and should have been.
I really didn't like this season of heroes. I kept waiting so long for anyone to do anything. It felt as though they had dropped themselves into soap opera time where they sit there and stare at each other for 10 mins while the music is playing. Only to see 2 weeks later they still haven't done anything!
Sure, this season wasn't as strong as the first, but as far as the question to renew or not... what else does NBC really have going for them? Right now they get me for 60 min per week on Heroes and 30 min per week on The Office. No one wants more cop drama or medical drama. What was the last show to come out that you didn't shoot down based solely on the previews? Can't remember...
The biggest problem with Heroes, is the whiny fans, and the dumb writers who listen to them. Have a vision and have the stones to carry it through. Trying to satisfy the people who's only purpose in life is to complain about things and who, inherently, can never be satisfied is an exercise in futility, so don't try.
Back on Track? More like a complete derailment, the finale couldn't have been more anticlimactic, the plot was incredibly shoddy and far too convenient.
OMG, this episode just showed all the missed opportunities of having different bad guys instead of relying on sylar all the time. so boring.
it was an ok season finale. i liked claires role for the first time, but what has happened to this show? Start sucking after season 2....still a fan though.
Load More Comments