House: Good Riddance, Cameron!

Hallelujah! After five years and too many earnest, teary criticisms of House to count, Dr. Cameron (Jennifer Morrison) left House last night. She parted ways with Chase and gave House a teary farewell—and I jumped for joy.

The back story, of course, is that Cameron was the only female member of House's original diagnostic team. She fell in love with House early in the show's history, mistakenly thinking she could cure him of his narcissism. Thankfully, the pairing never took; Cameron was a rookie with a bit of a daddy complex and a desperate need to solve other people's problems, and House snubbed her. When the old team fell apart at the end of Season 3, Cameron stepped out of the spotlight and took another position at Princeton-Plainsboro. But alas, she didn't stay away. Early this season, after House's trip to the asylum, the old diagnostic team—Cameron and her now-husband Chase included—returned to help with his cases. Last night, after finding out that Chase had murdered a patient, Cameron began to unravel—and finally, she quit.

I've never liked earnest characters, and Cameron was particularly offensive. She was like a stubborn child, throwing tantrums to get people to listen to her. As House's colleagues learned to ignore his trademark insults and one-liners, Cameron insisted on calling him out on how cruel he was. (Patients have feelings, too!) She nitpicked, pointed out obvious faults, and at times acted more like a badgering ex-lover than an employee. And, given that the show is about a genius who ignores social norms regardless of what anyone else thinks—particularly a lowly employee—Cameron was always an awkward fit. Her self-righteous condemnations of House's interactions with patients made her nearly unbearable to watch.

Because in the end, House will always be about the complex mind of Dr. Gregory House. Whether he's working at Princeton-Plainsboro or stuffed away in a mental institution, the show is at its best when it focuses on him. The characters that surround House serve to help define his character, and their story lines should affect the show only as far as they impact him. It's House's hospital—everyone else just works in it.

But what do you think? In a recent interview with EW, Morrison said she didn't know why she was written out of the show, and since her character wasn't killed off, there's always a chance we might see Cameron again. Would you welcome her back or are you glad she's gone?

Jennifer Morrison aka \"Cameron\" disappeared courtesy of the male \"sex sells\" philosophy. She played great opposite House. She offered what House doesn\'t have which are a conscience and moral ethics. But alas the madonna-whore figure was missing. The two female protagonists are older women (Lisa Cuddy and Stacy) and mousy Cameron. Stacy was written out so that left middle-aged Cuddy and mousy Cameron. WHERE WAS THE FEMALE SEX OBJECT? If there\'s one thing Hollywood execs understand is that every show and movie has to have the T&A factor. Why? I don\'t know. I think women watch more tv (except maybe sports). Don\'t most men hang out in strip clubs whenever they can in their spare moments? So the producers instructed the House writers to sex-up Cameron. First thing: make the **** a blonde. I\'m surprised they didn\'t force her to get implants. Secondly: make her have sex! But even that wasn\'t good enough for the producers of the show. No, they decided that they needed a woman they could really sexually objectify. Enter \"13\" who is supposedly attractive (WTF?). Oh yeah, they made her bi-sexual which means shots of her tumbling around kissing and petting other women in bed. There\'s another one for the boys. House had a good thing in Cameron. They made a mistake by messing with her character and letting her go. Now House is gradually becoming like every other show ever written for television -- a show in which the females on the show are sexually objectified for the boys. It doesn\'t matter that the females aren\'t great role models for young women or women in general. All Hollywood cares about is sexually objectifying females and putting them in their place. Instead of being barefoot and pregnant on the homefront, Hollywood keeps them sex objects and fantasy objects for men in complete disregard to the women viewers who are real women living in the real world who might just want to see real women with real feelings on shows such as House. Cameron was removed from the show because she in some ways represented a real woman. Bye bye real woman. Hello slutty bi-sexual who will indiscriminately screw anything that crosses her path -- every man\'s dream woman. And once again, women viewers have been given the proverbial finger.
p.s. to my "I am unhappy with Cameron's departure" comment: they shouldn't lose House's biting sarcasm, nor Cameron's straightforward exposure of the truth of any moment...and her anger at hypocrisy
I am unhappy with Cameron's departure and even alarmed by it because within her transformation and exit I can see the possible demise of the whole show . Certainly the demise of the quality of it. In a subtle but real way she was just as important a character as House. She preserved the moral center of the show which was essential--House's tripping below and over the limits and defining new limits of morality requires a steady countercharacter. I always wondered what was going on with making Cameron a blonde. I can see it more clearly now. They began to sexualize her character. The 'essential' Cameron is a virgin. As they sexualized her, she became a blonde because unfortunately the writers began to devalue her character.(I don't devalue blondes, it is just the male psyche at work here.) Unconsciously they may have been preparing us for the arrival of the couple House and Cuddy---because Cameron and House are a celibate couple. Cameron lost moral purity--which was truly very beautiful despite her human pedantic side-- that made her essential to the show. I don't know if the writers realized that they changed her as she 'lost her virginity' to Chase, House's shadow male. She lost her role as House's celibate mate, House's anchor, and provider of security as House explored desolation and truth.. Of course it was unnecessary for her to become devalued as she became sexual, but that is what writers do, men writers especially. She could have retained her purity of soul and still have been a sexual being, and I hope that they somehow reclaim that---but I am not sure there is any going back now. Maybe they feel there is no room for a woman around unless she is totally possessed by House--and that woman is now Lisa Cuddy. I'm talking about the mind of the writers and whoever is directing the storyline. They have as seriously changed the character of House as they have changed the character of Cameron. Cameron not only became sexualized, a precursor for House also becoming sexual. I think it makes no sense that she did not love Chase unconditionally which we would expect from Cameron, especially since Chase was very needy after the Dibala incident and would have been the kind of man she obsessively would cling to and protect. She got selfish instead. I don't buy this new Cameron and I think she should repent and come back more herself. It's like when they changed her hair they killed the original character, they may have killed House and the series along with it. What they need to do to preserve the series is to bring Cameron back ---she should reunite with Chase. And like this: she has always had difficulty defining herself morally although she struggles with moral problems. (Remember the episode with Joel Grey when she didn't know how to help a patient who wanted to die--at the end House has his hand on her shoulder as she sits tearfully in the chapel and says "I'm proud of you". She has taken a stand. Also remember the Dibala episode when she says something like, to Chase, "Maybe next time don't yell out" after Chase stops the murder of Dibala by an African man disguised as a hospital worker. Cameron has never owned that.) Cameron should come back, saying she got some therapy -- she told Chase in 'Lockdown' how confused and 'messed up' she was so that would be a logical next step. Cameron needs to realize that she has copped out on being true to herself and to Chase because she couldn't admit the truth to herself-- that she agreed killing Dibala was a moral act, as horrible a choice as it was. Cameron should become a brunette again, explaining that she is now comfortable with herself as she is and wants to live that completely. She has a new peace. She knows she will always struggle to find the truth of the moment but that doesn't mean she has to fix or rescue everyone. She wants to love life, not death. She feels grateful that she has had the company of men like Chase and House in her life to enlighten her: moral choices never exist in a vacuum, and take courage combined with action. She should work again with House on the team, they should continue to love and admire each other from afar, and keep alive the celibate spark that defined the entire moral dimension of the show. As the writers pursue the House/Cuddy sexual relationship, they should remember and preserve the Cameron/House connection. House and Cameron are the two characters most searching for truth, and most defining the show. Because House ultimately is a moral exercise played out in some of the harshest realities confronted by humanity. Cameron and House can show us that real morality isn't defined by the constricting "good girl" and "bad boy" roles that Cameron and House have both felt compelled to follow in their lives.But now they've both gotten therapy, they both have grown out of their old understanding of themselves. From that basis both House and Cameron should renew their relationships with their respective lovers, Chase and Cuddy: House and Cameron both discover they value themselves more than they ever did before; their relationships should show that. Cameron and Chase should rediscover their love and respect for one another. Chase should be comforted by Cameron's affirmation of the most difficult choice he has ever made--to end the life of Dibala.Cameron and House should become friends who speak to each other about how to keep their partners happy....
I think she's hot, and I preferred her as a brunette. She was always a little on the whinier side, but that was her character. That was wrong the Jennifer was terminating. And for reference Hugh Laurie is the executive producer for the series, and he should have tapped the both of them(Cuddy and Cameron). They both look great in lace.13 can stay with foreman, and I wouldn't be all that upset if either of them left and I'm a true believer in w omens rights so he can go first.
I think Cameron, besides for House, obviously, was the best character on the show.
Cameron wasn't my favorite but that doesn't mean I didn't like her. She never annoyed me, so I don't know what the big deal is. I guess that's just me! I teared up when she quit the SECOND time I saw the episode because I've seen Taub quit so many times it didn't seem like she was really leaving the first time!
I would like to inform for some people, what is the difference between Cameron did with the terminally ill and that Chase has made the dictator Dibala.
Cameron ended the suffering of a dying man (season 03 ep 03-Informed Consent).
Chasse killed a patient who was being treated in hospital, was not a terminally ill.
In other words, Cameron committed euthanasia (view Wikipedia) and Chase, murder.
The series has some fans so ill-informed ....
Cameron didn't euthanize Dr Powell, House did, get your facts straight. Cameron acted like a coward and whined regardless of what House did, with lots regards to what the patient wanted.

As for Chase committing murder, Chase is the closest to House in terms of his ethics, he was the one who did or said whatever House did.
I think your comment simply unworthy.
And i add that you it's probably a fan of a "old lady"
And I bet that must also be a big fan of a "certain" shipper ...
Sad to see such a biased opinion .....
Cameron has always been a strong character in the series, because it always was the one that confronted directly House.
See how is reflecting all the changes that the producers have done in the series, especially as a certain character, which is gaining a lot of space in the series in recent times (I suggest THE NEW YORK TIMES AND CHICAGO EXAMINER) both have a lot of credibility and impartiality. .
I hope that Cameron back.... soon ....
She is the best female character in the series and she has better chemistry with our dear and grumpy genius
Oh... also see the numbers of the ratings and notice how a show , can fall as quickly as rose.
i disagree 100% and your a complete ass. she was personally my favorite character and i didnt want her to go!
You're an idiot!
I disagree. Cameron's moralizing could get a little annoying sometimes, but she played the role of House's opposite. The completely morally driven character to act against House's narcissistic amorality. It created a lot of situations where Cameron could take the politically correct ethical point of view and House could analyze it's hypocrisies, while Cameron tried to prove they weren't hypocrisies, insisting morality was not an outdated concept in the modern world.

Although, isn't Cameron already a murderer? She euthanized that guy in season three.
I don't agree. The earnest and morally centred Cameron was a good opposite for house. The dichotomy of their relationship was interesting and how she refused to be pulled into the morally grey areas that House himself deals in. I personally am sorry to see her go, as the contrast between her heart motivated actions and House's mind motivated actions, made the 2 characters interactions interesting.
See, I never really grew attached to the B team, so Housettes (Cuddy and Wilson excluded since they're not on his team) were, in order of preference: Chase, Cameron, 13, Foreman, Taub, Kutner. Cut-throat wasn't a part of his team, but since she had an extended role, I would place her between Cameron and 13. I like Kal Penn, but I didn't care for Kutner at all so when they offed him, I was like "Okay, good. Trimming them back down." To be perfectly honest, if 13 weren't so good-looking, I'd probably go with the original 3 and get rid of the B team entirely. Chase and Cameron were always my top two. Foreman's become a bit redundant since the B team showed up, but I liked him well enough before. At any rate, I can't believe how many disliked Cameron. I thought she was fantastic.
A little annoying. The only time I ever agreed with Cameron was the episode about the huge fat guy and whether they should, or could for the matter, give him an MRI. Cameron and Chase could never of lasted. Chase had nothing wrong with him for Cameron to fix
I love the actress but the character is a little annoying but I hate how it happened I feel horrible about how Chase and Cameron broke up it really sucked
And, BTW, this post spoiled me, what made me mad. I see the show days after, and TV.com usually don't reveal too much in the titles. So if I don't read the article, I am ok.. But this "spoilerous" title was on the front page and I couldn't avoid it, so Hiatt, please don't do that again.
I am glad she is gone! Even when I felt bad for Chase.
Yeah. Thank gods. The author is right on the money about how annoying she was.
If she comes back, I hope it's as a patient with a terminal illness.
As far as comments about how we lost an attractive team member, there is still Thirteen. She's as attractive as Cameron, with 100% less whine.
Someone needs to give Cameron a cheese platter.
As far as Foreman leaving, he is getting stale, and minus the time he was one of House's patients he's rather boring, so much in fact, Taub and Kutner had a conversation about it.
Taub: This is Foreman on the worst day of his life :|
This is Foreman on the happiest day of his life :|
Yeah, he needs to go, he's really just House minus the genius and plus the power hungry attitude.
I'm glad she's gone! I stopped watching House a long time ago...

Sorry was that a rhetorical question? Did you want me to take my time and think about the answer kay...

My answer still stands. Ding dong the 'itch is gone the ' itch is gone the 'itch is gone ding dong the 'itch is finally gone!
I'm glad she's gone too. She was whiny and preachy.
While Chase murdered a guy, Cameron euthanasied a terminal one. And the way she acted in the case, it should be the same thing. I quote Cuddy's statement in one episode. "She's not nearly as delightful as she thinks she is."
Chase exists to kiss House's feet and act like him unless he's around the patient.
Foreman was there to disagree with House on everything, and later to be House, but with a conscience.
Taub was like Chase with Foreman's disagreement.
Kutner was like Cameron, but far more tolerable since he had as he acted like a normal person, and at times schemed against House
Thirteen, not sure actually, all I know is is that she's as good looking as Cameron and less annoying, and her backstory is far more interesting.

Cameron never fit in, and her back story annoying. She married a man she knew would die. Just so he wouldn't die alone. And she thinks she's always right, like in the episode where Foreman "stole" her article on one of House's cases.
Cameron wasn't even a good doctor. She let her emotions get in the way of her judgement.

I hope she doesn't come back. As her time on the show passed, she only got more annoying.
If there is 1 person who i would really like to see go it is Foreman. He is completely useless, what is it he actually adds to the team?? Nothing. Cameron was somebody you could at least get annoyed at.
Good riddance? Way to be a douche. You obviously never liked her, but way to be mean about it. I was indifferent aobut her, but I wouldn't say "good riddance."
This episode made her especially unlikeable, blaming House for 'ruining' her superstitious, bumbling blob of a husband, and bam, she's gone, literally crying about 'sanctity' and lost souls.

Cameron, who grows infatuated with people she sees as 'broken' not because of who they are but because of who she thinks she 'fix' them into.

Cameron, who killed patients herself under even less compelling circumstances.

Cameron, who repeatedly argued that they should let this or that patient who morally offended her die rather than treating him or her.

Cameron, who fought with the notion of killing Dibala herself.

This Cameron just quit by throwing an irrational fit with the usual line that House cares about playing with his pawns more than about doing his job, which has been proven time and again to be almost comically untrue from every perspective but that of her disturbing Stepford fairyland.

Good riddance, indeed.
it said that she has left but i hope then some day cameron will come back.
I was sorry to hear that JM was leaving House. After watching her final episode, I was over joyed to see her leave. The biggest problem with her character from day one was that the writers did give her character enough background. Granted she could be a pain with her moral stances but she was refreshing in her own way. As for he marriage to Chase, I knew it wouldn't last. Chase is a realist and she is an idealist. When she failed to fully understand why Chase needed to stay at PPTH rather than start fresh somewhere else, I just couldn't wait for her to walk out the door. I was glad to see her admit that she was in love with House and I did agree with her on one point-House does poison people. Still, I would love to see her return to the show in the future.
I am hoping we see her back -- I was sad (and taken aback) to see her go on Monday! I like her. She's the only character I come close to connecting with on House. House himself I love, and laugh at, of course, but I'm far from connecting with him.
Why in God's name couldn't they get rid of Foreman instead? He's served little to no purpose in the past few seasons beyond standing there and objecting to House's nutty plans. Plus I was pretty peeved to see them bring back those other two; was seriously hoping they'd give us ONE new cast member out of all this instead of re-hashing recent ones. At this point it looks like we're going to have to sit through Chase's murder-angst for the rest of the season (despite saying he'd do it again, the guy's mopey as all hell) until he *finally* predictably gets busted at the end of the season which one again turns it into a 3 assistant team. Seriously, out of ALL the characters who should've gone, Cameron wasn't high on the list.
Overjoyed to see her go.
If nothing else did so, this episode itself definitely made me glad to see her go.
I would love to see her back. Love the character, love the actor.
I would like to see her again...
I really liked how much Cameron has grown in character, views about herself and to stand up to House. A person with caring feelings is enjoyable to watch and gives people a chance to connect with her which I did. I really hate seeing her go, hopefully she can come back when she's grown even more!
thanks for the no spoilers, just found about what happen with Chase, not happy
Yessss, a character with good morals and likes to help people that is annoying. (sarcasm)

Cameron is the best character on the show. Yes, the whole attempted Cameron-House match-up was an utter disaster, but the Cameron with Chase was a very enjoyable match-up. I am sad to see Cameron go because she was a very identifiable character and because I am interested in seeing further the Cameron and Chase relationship developed.
Booooooooo! Couldn't disagree more with this article. Cameron was the most interesting of the original 3 Fellows on House's team. Her role was very important for story reasons, Chase was mostly a lackey who would do whatever House told him to do and Foreman is so self-important that he only would care about others when it effects him, the Cameron caring about everyone perspective was very necessary. I really don't see who does that role on the new House Team. Honestly if one had to go, my vote would have stil gone for Foreman, his "i'm trying to be House but i keep getting pushed back" thing is getting really old.
Back up!!!!! Cameron added an honesty to the mix. she kept the show real or House would trample on folks without conscience(yeah ah know he does it anyway) didnt like how she left and frankly not sure shy Chase let her go!
I think she was cool. Too annoying at times but like someone's said there, she played the human side of the team, the caring one. The character with the doubted House sometimes, which made the episodes interesting and gave that moral conflict arc. But just like Chase, she was kept at the sidelines for a long time. I was wondering if they'd ever come back. Just wonder who's gonna get booted to the bench now.. I mean, Foreman and 2 spots, and 3 doctors... oh well.. hope Chase doesn't get the boot again..
I watch House less and less frequently but caught this episode. It is not hard to believe a Cameron character in this setting with someone who is so eccentric as House but what I find it even harder to believe is that there is a situation anywhere on a day to day basis like the show portrays with multiple doctors on staff solving medical mysteries and dispatching doctors to break into patients homes to find clues to their illness. Imagine the medical bill for this.
I'd welcome her back... Like someone else said, she's the "human side" of the team. And I liked her more than 13 or Taub!
out of the 3 main female characters; she was the sensible choice to boot; but if given the chance to choose amongst the doctors... i'd vote to boot chase...
the only female main character of any use is Cuddy. i wont miss cameron but if it came to a choice between cameron and foreman going then i would boot him first and hardest lol
I'm glad she left. She was my least favorite character but I'm sure she'll be coming back in guest spots.
I loved Cameron I thought she brought a good balance to the team and it sucks that she is gone
I hope so...I really like Cameron as a character. But who will be replacing her as the female lead aside from Cuddy. I heard that 13 was leaving the show as well...so are they going to bring new characters?
I would have thought Chase would have been the one on his way out. I liked Cameron so much better than 13 as well.
Aww... I liked Cameron. Oh, well.
I will miss Jennifer Morrison. She was great on House.
I'd have preferred it if Foreman left. I've had no problems with Cameron.
Personally, I'll miss Cameron... I mean, she was the "human side" of the team (they should have got rid of Chase instead, who is the lamest character in the series), but who knows, she might come back on next season. If she comes back, I'll welcome her, because her place is in the team, not out of it.
Get rid of the over-the-top boring and one-dimensional Foreman!!!!
Load More Comments