House's Series Finale: Cancer's Boring

House ended its eight-season run like so many TV shows do: bittersweetly, with a few great nods to past seasons, some inevitable cheesiness, and a comforting sense of closure. Monday's series finale, "Everybody Dies," was basically a variation on the ol' life-flashes-before-a-possibly-dying-character's-eyes story: Our good doctor was seemingly headed for death by smoke inhalation in a burning building, spending his last moments alive chatting with hallucinated people from his past. And even though I think it would have been a cool, ballsy move to end House by also ending its title character, the show seemed destined for a more uplifting send-off. So what happened instead—House decided to save himself, then faked his death with a dental-records switcheroo and ran away with Wilson to make the most of Wilson's last few months—felt appropriate in that cantankerous, Gregory House-y kind of way.

Plus, there's nothing like a funeral to give TV writers a chance to revel in the series they've worked on for the past however many years—to literally eulogize the character or characters they've created. As House's friends, coworkers, and family each stood up to speak about the impact he had on their lives, they listed the character traits that made House such a compelling character in the first place.

"He was my boss, and then my employee. And both times, I learned from him."

"He made me a better parent, whether he meant to or not."

"He wasn't always easy to deal with."

"Somewhere in there, he knew how to love."

And then it was Wilson's turn:

He was my friend. The thing you have to remember, the thing you can't forget, is that Gregory House saved lives. He was a healer. And in the end... House was an ass. He mocked anyone—patients, coworkers, his dwindling friends—anyone who didn't measure up to his insane ideals of integrity. He claimed to be on some heroic quest for truth, but the truth is, he was a bitter jerk who liked making people miserable. And he proved that by dying selfishly, numbed by narcotics, without a thought of anyone. A betrayal of everyone who cared about him—

Then came the disruptive ring of a cell phone and the incoming text: "Shut up, you idiot." Okay, so we don't know how the funeral actually ended or how House pulled off the cell-phone-in-Wilson's-pocket thing, but I guess sometimes you have to gloss over the nitpicky stuff in the name of a nice moment. And so after the somewhat obligatory Montage of Poignancy wherein Foreman and Taub and Chase and all the rest went on living their lives with the lessons House had taught them, House and Wilson hit the road in a fitting tribute to the friendship we've watched grow over the last eight years.

Ride, House and Wilson. Ride like the wind.

All told, "Everybody Dies" certainly had its flaws—but so did Dr. House, and a lot of people loved him anyway. Were you satisfied with how things turned out?

QUESTIONS:

– What did you love or hate about the finale?

– Did you believe House died in the fire?

– What were your favorite lines/scenes of the episode?

– Do you wish Cuddy/Lisa Edelstein had come back for the big finish? Which returning-character cameos were your favorite?

– How do you think House and Wilson are spending Wilson's final days?

UPDATE: I should have clarified—when Lisa Edelstein left the show, it was over a contract dispute. Fox wanted her to take a huge pay cut, and she decided she could do better... fair enough! Beyond that, it was in the news a couple months ago that she wouldn't return for the finale; I'm not sure whether it was Edelstein or House's producers who made that call. Basically I didn't expect to see her, but I know a lot of fans wanted to... and I was a teeny bit optimistic that the show would surprise us regardless of what was in the news.

The House finale was the best ever, period. I loved every minute of it. House really came through for his buddy, Wilson.
I have watched all seasons 2 times becasue i just love the character hugh does as House. It is not often better acting is shown on tv. It made me happy when watching a few episodes on the trot but when i got to the last episodes of season 8 i realised where this was going and thought about starting watching season 1 again and so on, just becasue i started to feel sad over the fact it was going to be over. I still dont accept it being over since i loved it so much. And i hat the ending. I hate it so much i have trouble watching it again if whant to. The character House and the episodes made me happy all though it could be sad episodes but the way Hugh did the character it was still something to look forward to. But the last episodes from where Wilson got cancer, where only sad and nothing else. And i hate that. I regret watching season 8 and i think i`m gona start over again with season 1 and stop after season 7 to keep the memory of it all a little brighter.
House.MD should come back for a season 9. It inspires so many people into Doctorhood. Cuddy should have returned to say a few words at his funeral and a glimpse of what happens after the 5months House and Wilson spend together would be great too. But I guess all great this come to an end. House is great and his quotations live on forever.
omg..just discovered house..where can i watch first episode..its being repeated in uk at the moment..where house has to fire of his members..:(
What if House actually died in the fire. The text was just some erroneous cell phone malfunction, actually displaying an old text. When Wilson actually meets House they are both dead. Kind of like House waiting for him in the afterlife.
haha, should have seen it coming!! faking death that is - the show started like Sherlock Holmes and ended like it too!! :) only telling his best friend Watson, errr Wilson, I mean ;)
Awesome ending. I really thought that House died... well, that is, until I saw the cellphone scene... there, I knew he was alive. I think whatever House and Wilson do on the next 5 months, I'm sure they are going to have fun.

A really awesome ending, worthy of this series, which we will all miss very much.
Cuddy would have fit in nicely with the halucinated people. Apart from that it was a very satisfying finale.

It would have felt wrong somehow if House had just died after deciding to live. But he also had to be taken out of the picture somehow. We know from experience that he would just get back to the hospital if he would have gone to jail and it would have been cruel for Wilson, so this is an interesting way to end it and bring real closure.

It is rare to see a show end in a satisfying way. I'm glad House did. I will miss the show but I also feel that the time was there to end it.
it was a good ending.....except some things didnt make sence.....like the dental record thing.... house went to prison....they should've had his DNA from that to make a match to the corpse.... also, the corpse .... were they getting high together when the guy died or was this pre-planned?

also, i didnt miss Lisa Edelstein at all this season..... i kinda wish house would've worked things out with his "wife" and ended up with her....

last but not least....how does flushing season tickets down a toilet do soo much damage.... and how the hell was in considered criminal vandalism and if the hospital wasnt gonna press charges how is it even criminal....

but i understand its a tv show..... and not real life.... so it was a good ending .... not EPIC but good :)
Well I had problems getting into it at the beginning... I was thrilled to see Morrison & Wilde though...

When they mentioned the dental records, I had a tingling, and then we were at the funeral... and I thought: wouldn't it be cool if House pulls a Huckleberry Finn? LOL
also, it ends with the only thing that was always there for House: Wilson. That's the way it should have always been :)
I knew he wouldn't be dead. When Foreman said that they thought it was House only for the dental record, I guessed it was the other guy....

That said, I cried my heart out during the last 5-6 minutes (probably from the moment House tells Wilson "I'm dead; how do you want to spend your last five months??")
Olivia Wilde, Jennifer Morrison, Odette Annable, and Amber Tamblyn all in the same episode on screen == WIN
I thought it was the perfect ending for the show. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
'll miss House, 'cause now there's no-one worse than me..

They could make a new show called Chase but it'll wind up being just another medical show, so I hope they don't. Loved that they left Gregory alive, 'cause I was like wtf!!!??? when he appeared to have died. Did miss Cuddy. Why wasn't she in it??

Heard Hugh will be partnering up with his old buddy Stephen Fry, so at least something good will come out of this!!
Well I think they were hinting that Chass will take take House' position sooner or later. I was surprised it was at the very end. It gives me a happy surprise as well. Did I believe he burned alive... Not really I mean we know House, he is not a quitter and he couldn't just quit after saying He can changed, but there was a fear that writers maybe making it memorable by first "I can change" and than wipe it all out like its all for no reason. But doing "all for no reason" is never House's message.

It was sad ending. It is sad. I know I will be remembering House for a long time and I mean House not just Dr House but entire team.
They've all had enough doctoring within four walls, let 'em enjoy some doctoring without borders now... CARPE DIEM everyone, don't be a fool !
It's no surprise a popular show gets an open ending that finishes with nothing that couldn't be undone if they wanted to start again. Wilson (and to a lesser extent 13) aint dead yet, House is alive, the various team members are all okay.. reminded me of 24's final show.. answer nothing and burn no bridges.

I really wanted something powerful.. I was hoping 13 would call in her promise leading House into a crisis of having to weigh a mercy killing he offered and how that would affect his ability to spend the last few months with Wilson.. instead we got flushed tickets and some guy we could care less about :(

To a degree a lot of people seemed to want House to die so it was kinda nice they did 'kill him off' even if it was for like 10minutes, not that it fooled many as when they brought out 1 body and didn't mention the other the misdirect was pretty transparent..

All in all a weak ending with one good line about no one caring about the medicine.
While I found the episode in itself weak, but at least it was about the people, with the return of a great cast with Jennifer Morrison and Olivia Wilde...

How great is it that while having both great carriers they still got around to come say goodbye. The Swan Song special was actually greater than the finale.
I really liked the episode but would've liked to have seen Thirteen and Cuddy make a final appearence. Relly gonna miss this GREAT show!!
thirteen did make an appearance
it was an ok episode. it did wrap things up well enough for me to be content with the ending.

i loved that they brought stacey back. she was always my favourite! i just wish they had brought her back sooner.
I thought it was a fitting ending to the series. Sure, there were plot holes (like how the hell did House get out of the burning building so fast?) but I think the overall meaning of the episode was good, and it seemed true to the series. House could have stayed in the building, but finally, he thought about someone other than himself, and made that sacrifice so that he could spend time with Wilson.
Another thing that bugged me about the finale, something I just realized reading the comments, there was no wrap-up for ANY other character - we got to see them at the funeral reading a sentence or 2, but no standing around having an Irish wake or something awesome. Getting the entire Diagnostic Medicine team back together to compare notes, get drunk and let their true feelings out, talk about how House helped and harmed them, that would have been awesome. I mean, hell, Foreman's story is a TRAGIC one, he wants to be a doctor and instead became a bureaucrat - how is that not a goldmine for the finale? Yet they didn't go there at all, it was just a Greg House Pity Party from the very first moment to the next-to-last.
Staff
Now I kind of wish you'd written the finale, JT.
Thanks Jen. Now if only I hadn't heard that in my head with Buster Bluth's voice... ;-)
Honestly, I didn't really care for the episode as a whole, it felt very forced and without Cuddy it also felt emotionally dishonest, at best I could say what did work was "ok", and if House really did prove he could change with his act, then the ending was nice, but it felt too similar to the episode from 3 weeks ago with the Corvette so it lost its pointedness. I'm also more curious as to how House was going to live AFTER Wilson, but the show seemed to feel there was a definitive off switch.

That said, this was a great finale because it had Hugh Laurie's amazing documentary "Swan Song" preceeding it, and that was a gorgeous, powerful, humorous, and well-edited love letter to the show.
It was a decent send off given how many long running shows fall completely flat with the ending. I would have preferred it be over two episodes or a two hour block to allow for more screen time with old favorites.
Hugh Laurie created an icon of modern TV-culture. Usually I hate hospital/medical series - but House was different: a very creative take on Sherlock Holmes and Watson, so the ending did not surprise me(I even suspected some "Reichenbach Falls" of some kind).

However, the show's best episodes set a level the finale never reached, not even close. In fact, I was appalled by the cheesiness of Wilson's cancer, the halluzinations, the funeral and of course the obvious montage at he end - yikes...

When House and Wilson drove away on their bikes I was hoping for a shocker : a truck coming from the sideroad squashing both of them, fade to black, credits. That would have been more fitting to the series than that cheesy "grey's anatomie" finale.
House did what he would never do before....he sacrificed himself (his status, and future) for the good of his friend.

Great way to end the show.
Of course I would have liked to see Cuddy at the funeral or as one of the visions in his head but I could see why she would not show after the whole car crash through the house thing. Camerons return was welcome but having her as the voice telling him to give up was a bit strange to me.

House faking his death is very fitting with the character but is still a bit off. He is a man who needs the mystery and puzzle to solve. After Wilson is gone, how long would it be before House seeks out a new problem to solve.

though it is a bit evil, I can see the character of House being the type to not even tell his mother that he is alive.
I love how so many people that stopped watching the show feel the need to post negative reviews. Made an impression didnt it. House was a medical show where you pretty much had a inclinaton of how each episodes would end but without knowing the direction the subplots would go. The only problem i had with the finale was that it wasn't an hour long special (at least). Good show show that kept me entertained for years and will be missed. R.I.P wilson haha
I was so excited when I read Amber Tanblyn would be in the finale... So, then there was House in the fire and along cam a few ghosts of the past. No Amber there. Then came the funeral and I was like "No way, she gets credited for a sentence and half a second of screen time." - I liked the Martha character, but they could have left out that one-liner at the funeral; would have upset me less.
I am pretty sure Amber had more lines than that. Wasn't she one of the ghosts?
Good Final Season, maybe it would be great if in the future they'll make a a movie on House M.D.

I would have rather House died in the fire. It was such a meh ending. Its upsetting, because the witers decided to end the show when they did, so they had enough time to write an amazing series finale. This was not their best work I feel. That said, House's time was up. The show had definitely lost its zest, and I'm glad they didnt keep flogging the dead horse.
For me House stopped existing after early episodes of 6 season. I was tuning in occasionally but it never excited me like before. It became so obviously limited formulaic show that it couldn't give some more time and space for characters except House. No wonder Olivia Wilde got bored and left. Why and how that happened I have no clue. Is it coz of success of the show? Producers didn't want to risk? So they restrained writers' creativity? Coz deceases stopped to wonder us? I always liked House leaving its procedural stuff and doing something different.

For me series finale was alright but not that exciting. It felt rushed. Especially at funeral. And why we always need some case to fill time? characters so boring that they can't just walking doing something different? I don't think so. Dynamic of Odette and Charlene was wonderful in early 8 season episodes. For me 8 season was good but same old. The strongest was Chase centric episode when he felt in love with patient. It was fresh. I'm on fence with finale.

But all and all it has ended. House was somehow part of my life and now it's gone. Sad but it was necessary. Goodbye House)
Though, I must say that I'm rather disappointed in the finale. Sure, it had its sweet moments with the return of several fan favs. But the whole medical case seemed like a throwaway. Took up too much of the short 40-min episode. After the build up of the last few eps, I'd expected more Wilson/House bromance ;P
House MD the Movie: Bucket List.
Cuddy was definitely missed, she was my favourite female character on the show.

All in all, the finale was pretty meh. They could have made something big and touching like the 6 Feet Under finale, or something abrupt and shocking like in The Sopranos. Something memorable, that people will remember. This felt more lie a season finale.

But I'm glad Wilson got a happy end. Well I mean, cancer aside.

Oh Wilson, you handsome doormat, I will miss you.
"Something memorable, that people will remember. "

Ugh, brain fart.
In a word: meh.
Not only did I believe that House died, when Wilson met him on the steps, I thought House was a figment of Wilson's imagination, probably because the weak-@$$ halucination cr@p set-up. But the hallucinations did sorta show House's mind-set about whether to commit suicide, or pretend to die, and give his BFF a proper send-off.

If Lisa/Cutty was the one that refused to appear in the finale, I'm guessing it would send future producers a message that she's a bi@tch to work with. That's not a good message to be sending at her age. I'd be interested in finding out, if it ever comes out.
lisa edelstein's refusal to return for the final episode is pretty disrespectful and ungrateful on her side.. this show brought her to a bigger and better place, if to nothing else, she owed a couple of minutes for a final episode.. her leaving the show was very understandable but refusal to appear for one final ep is unacceptable in my opinion..
Wilson's my favorite character on the show, so I hate that the writers gave Wilson terminal cancer. They could have done a moving cancer story arc without, eventually, killing Wilson off.

I need to play catch up with House. I've missed a couple seasons, including the last one.

Wilson looks mighty fine in that photo still. *rowr* Scruff looks good on him.
Worst series finale ever. Hated the hallucinations. We got too much of that crap in the past. Hated the faked death, the funeral service, the next to last episode, everything.
seems like you're bitter
Very fitting and enjoyable end. The only complaint I have is being a bit upset that Lisa Edelstein wasn't there for the finale, but that aside, I was very pleased with the ending.
"I'm dead, Wilson. How do you want to spend your last five months?"

The whole episode was building up to that one last scene and it sure was well done with house and wilson riding sons of anarchy style with that backdrop of "dont be a fooL".

Its fun knowing that those 2 are still out there and by any fluke of a chance if house does get renewed or if they come up with a house and wilson spin off,id watch it!! What a spin-off that would be!

House and Wilson in the mooooorning!
First off, I thought it was typical of the show and the character to end like this and the all-too subtle nod to House's likeness to Sherlock Holmes and the Reichenbach Falls.

The only way the ending could have been better was a) if House had gatecrashed his own funeral or b) if all of House's & Wilsons colleagues got a picture of him on holiday with House dressed like the Stig at the end. (they would just know deep down House was still alive and it would have been even funnier and more bittersweet to see the cane in shot as well)

I never believed he died in the fire though i loved how all my fav ex. characters returned from Cameron to Thirteen. The eulogies were heartfelt and genuine from each character esp. Wilson the beloved friend and I think House and Wilson will do whatever they want in the time they have left. (if only we had a conclusive ep. five months from now to show House revealing to everyone he wasn't dead after Wilson is gone and that he's learned to embrace other people in his life).

anyways loved it and now missing it loads.xx
To be honest I thought house deserved a better ending! It was such an existential mess! I feel like I had seen that over and over again throughout the past seasons. In the end, House did not change, he was still a selfish jerk that has no regard for the people around him. As far as faking his death to be with wilson. That was a product of his idiotic juvenile character. I am very disappointed.
House was giving up everything he had and loved to spend time with Wilson in his last moments. In a sense, House finally landed on friendship over obsession.
Agree, the almost-dying, the talking-to-dead-people, the talking-to-beloved-ones.. it's all been done before on House.
It's always hard when good shows must come to an end. RIP HOUSE!!!!! I've never loved a show more <3 :-(
I loved the finale purely because by the end I did feel satisfied - and I've been watching since episode 1. I like that it was still messy - in true House fashion - but left us to think that perhaps House had changed for Wilson, even if it was just a little. At first I did believe House died in the fire, but not for long - just a feeling I guess, and I'm glad he didn't die. I liked Cuddy, but I am kind of glad she wasn't back for the finale, though I liked that they talked about her so it wasn't like they were forgetting her. I think that if she had come back it would have brought a whole other dynamic to the show just because of how she left and I'm glad they didn't go back there. I liked seeing Kutner again, and I thought it was interesting how they brought Cameron back and the role she played in House's mind. And honestly, I think I'm satified enough not to even think about what House and Wilson are doing or what House will do after Wilson's gone. Overall I liked it a lot; I'm going to miss House like crazy and my Monday nights will never be the same but thats how it goes and I'm glad they finished strong. On one last note: I liked that they hinted that Foreman found out House was still alive - that was sweet.
we watched it anyway... for eight seasons
well I watched the entire show. the preshow was fantastic! I loved it. The show itself???????????????

come on people. BORING>>>>>>>>>>

bringing back everyone is so ahhhhhh thank goodness for the phone message: shut up! then the motor cycle ride off into sunset that was fitting.

adious mon HOuSE adious
I still think that Wilson getting cancer was a total cop out of a story line. I also don't like finales going all retrospective. I thought the hallucinations House got was only done so that cameos could happen which isn't good writing. But what the heck, I love House and Hugh Laurie. Faking his own death is purely Sherlock which is a great nod. The 'sacrificing his life' theme/metaphor was brilliant also. I'm in the middle, there were things I clearly didn't like and things I loved. I like to think that after Wilson's death, House will turn himself in, and after jail, he gets back to medicine. I'm satisfied but at the same time will miss House.
Load More Comments