How I Met Your Mother Might Get a Ninth Season After All

If you have a slap bet going with your friends that Season 8 will be the final season of How I Met Your Mother, you should prepare yourself for a shattering of the time-slap continuum. According to a Deadline report, HIMYM will return for a ninth season, thanks to a last-minute decision by Jason Segel to stay with the show. However, CBS has yet to confirm the news (and may not do so for a while).

This is actually a pretty surprising development. While show creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays have been pushing for a ninth season for several months, the fate of HIMYM was pretty much in Segel’s hands; the burgeoning movie star (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Muppets, The Five-Year Engagement) understandably wants to focus on his film career. Plus, with Cobie Smulders playing a key member of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the show in a bit of a holding pattern leading up to the reveal of the mother, Season 8 seems a logical place for HIMYM to end. After all, now that Barney and Robin are finally engaged, all the show has left to do is introduce us to Ted’s future bride. Until now, I assumed the remaining episodes of this season would be dedicated to just that.

Adding another season of HIMYM opens up some interesting issues. Will Thomas and Bays just pad out the storyline they were prepared to use if Season 8 was confirmed as HIMYM’s last? If the show just moves the planned ending 24 episodes into the future and keeps stringing fans along, Season 9 seems like a bad idea. However, if Thomas and Bays have a few more great stories left to tell, Season 9 could properly wrap up the story Ted has been telling his kids for almost a decade now.

After watching Barney’s elaborate proposal to Robin, some HIMYM fans have expressed worry that Ted’s eventual proposal will never match the impact of Barney’s. A ninth season could fix that problem, if the show finally unveils the mother at the end of Season 8 and then spends Season 9 showing us exactly why she’s the perfect woman for Ted.

QUESTIONS:

– Do you think HIMYM can handle a ninth season and still end on a high note?

– Assuming Season 9 does happen, how should the show use the extra episodes? Pacing-wise, where would YOU place the reveal of the mother?

I really agree with the fact that, most fans probably don't want to meet the mother in 1 episode and then have the series wrap in the next. I for one would like to get to know the mother, Ted's wife, why she is so perfect and spend a little bit of time 'present day' with everyones family, including Ted's. This is a really iffy time for the show, an 8 season build up to the reveal of one character, multiple red herrings, it's getting down to the wire, and a short end to season 8 could ruin it for a lot of fans. Give us season 9. That's my opinion!
I think that there are many many fans who don't want to be left with "Hey here's the Mother at last, bye then" I for one want to get to know her character and a 9th season would do that really well. Just my humble opinion.
BUT THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THEY COULD DO
tbh i believe the rumour about carly whittaker but wot i really want to know is who has been portraying her i think it's been cobie smulders (not saying robin is the mother)
Question: How do we know that girl on the platform isnt just another red herring? Yeah apparently thats when he meets the mother...but in the Season 6 DVD on the "What we know about the Mother" section, older Ted says her favorite flower is lilac, the type of flower he handed to her the very moment they met. At the train station, Ted doesnt have any flowers anywhere in sight. I'm beginning to think that girl isnt the mother. Let me know what you think--I'm curious!
Also--funny story about Abby Elliott--a few years ago, I imagined her being the mother. Would be cool if it ends up that way!
robin and barney's engagement is perfect and there should not be anymore complications! so maybe season 8 should be the last and round off everything on a perfect note
I hope Ted doesnt meet the mother until the last episode of Season 9 because there is no point in having a whole season of already knowing the mother. I also dont think they should find out who she is with 2 minutes to go. Why not have a double episode finale and half way through find out who the mother is then show us 20 minutes of them together and the close calls they had. Everything we have already seen just without the umbrella blocking the view, or the door, or the other people at the St Pattys day party. And too all those people saying it should end in season 8, there are sooooooooo many things we still need to know such as Barneys job which we may never and things like the pineapple incident which i know we will never find out because future ted doesnt know but you get my point, all the things he said more on this later.
On the one hand, I think giving it another season gives the writers a chance at writing better episodes and yes, ending it on a high note. The last two seasons in particular have been really boring except for a few scenes here and there, so a better end would be nice for fans and the actors of the show.

On the other hand, the last two seasons in particular have been pretty consistently bad that I don't hold much hope in the writers improving and making a stellar final season.

So uh, end it already. It's been on way too long and has suffered from been-on-too-long-itis.
they should have the eight season meating the mother ninthe season dating the mother and they shoul have a tenth season marrying the mother and having the kids
They should place the reveal of the mother on the finale of season 8 and use season 9 to lead up to the proposal as a season finale.
I can't believe it's getting another season! They should go ahead change the name to TPLBI: The Pathetic Lives: Bunch of Idiots! They might get another 10 seasons and they can do it, for every episode they watch a classic sitcom and remake situations in worst possible way, at the end of each season, they have a wedding and next season shows how it goes wrong...

Here's how they generate the script:

for(season=1;season<=eternity;season++){
Start();
Ted meets another girl;
Barney is a jerk but falls in love;
Barney leaves the girl;
Ted tells Robin that he loves her;
Robin gives him the finger;
Ted is pathetic like always;
Robin & Barney get together & break-up;
Marshal & Lily are there, doing something;
if (Network cancelled the show) {Ted meets Mother; break;}
End();
}
Lets do it, for science.
And... sure it can handle a ninth season, because racecar.
When I first read the title I literally said 'nooooo!' Cuz sooo many good shows outstay their welcome (The Office, Scrubs, and now I'm wondering The Big Bang Theory), and watching their slow fade into the same jokes, tired premises and re-hashed stories until it's a mere shadow of the show you once loved is unbearable. HIMYM has struggled with some of these issues that plague the long running sitcom, but it's managed to keep an audience due to it's basic premise... which is actually meeting the muther f***king mother!
Srsly, you can only string along an audience so long... I don't foresee enough stories left to fill a 9th season. Introducing us to the mom at the end of this season and then getting to know her the 9th could be intriguing, sort of. But finally knowing the 'who', would ruin the magic so to speak, so who would watch at that point? Maybe narrow it down to 2 possibilities or something, but then again there's the women on the platform we have to deal with from this seasons opener...
I made an account just to comment on this news and as another HIMYM fan since the beginning I'd love to see the show wrap up the right way. I'm sure the cast members must be super busy with lots of other roles they are getting now but I remember them as Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin, and Barney and for us fans justice should be put in finishing the whole series with us getting what we were waiting for. So many people are dying to know who Ted ends up with and we've been seeing the journey they all have had towards that moment. We were able to see who everyone got paired with so it should only be fair that we get to see who the main character, Ted, ends up with and the journey to it just like the others. I think HIMYM has what it takes to make it possible. The creators and cast mates have amazed us with fun stories, good memories, and the perfect way to end should be the way they thought up.
I think us as viewers need to spend time getting to know this elusive mother. If the show ends soon after they meet it will have been an awful waste of time. Future Ted loves this woman so much that he has been telling his kids the story for eight seasons so I think its time to introduce this woman and show us why Ted loves her so much.
its getting bit on going now and you just want to get to the end of the story. dont get me wrong i like HIMYM and have seen every episode but come on a season 9 going to far it good but not good like the likes of friends and that was only on for 10 seasons. time to move on.....
Remember, sitcoms like HIMYM, Big Bang Theory are actually casual comedies. They're not always story-oriented or each ep doesn't always add up to the big story but this show is a VERY GOOD casual show. It's a very entertaining one, too. I also like the performances of the leads from time to time. I especially love the performance of NPH. He is able to sometimes do comedy very few can.
These points alone make me excited about the new season. The plot may not move very fast but in episodes when it does, it's very exciting. For example, the season 8 premiere. We finally see the place they meet for the first time.
HIMYM is a show that knows how to mix comedy with emotional scenes well. Not the best sitcom for me, FRIENDS has yet to be dethroned, but certainly one of my most favourite shows.
Now see,season 9 is important and as said earlier it will give the story a good wrap up. I would to see HIMYM get wrapped up haphazardly. Season 8 will see Barney and Robin getting married and hopefully Ted meeting his future wife. Now after this they have to show us what was sooo special about the girl we all have been waiting to meet for the past 8 years. And They have to show how ted would be sure this time how he has found "The treasure of his life"..:-)) Season 9 is a logical step to be taken.. Hope it really happens..
I'm not really into Season 8. So far there've been only three great episodes for me, the rest were far from expectations. I'm happy for this new season because HIMYM is one of my favorite shows, but I truly believes that it is better to end while you're still on top. It's not that I don't want to wait any longer to get to meet Ted's wife, but let's be honest now: the show's not as good as before...
I really hoped, before this season started, they would reach Barney and Robin's wedding mid-season where they can't get married due to some external problem, since it is a wedding "gone terribly wrong" (Barnman and Robin still good but not married).

During the wedding Ted meets like 3 - 4 girls and that is the endgame, the audience trying to figure out which one is the mother as Ted interacts with them through the rest of the season.

Now since we are getting a ninth season I hope they do the same thing in season 9.

I know that we saw a girl with a yellow umbrella at the train station but they can still pull this off by introducing a number of girls with yellow umbrellas. (I know it sounds goofy a bit but this would be a great final season in my opinion.)
I would like a 9th season because I believe there are more stories to tell. Looking at how this season will end, I think there are enough episodes to work towards a wedding at the end of the season. What the main difference between a season 8 series finale versus a season 9 order is if there's a season 9, he may make eye contact with the mother. With out a season 9 order, we may see her face. All in all, I don't think we will get to know the mother, which is necessary. We got that with Victoria, and with others.
i think they should end it then make a how i met your father show her side of the story im sure it would be a instant hit considering we dont know his wife and when we do all will know his her face and name plus it would be a all new adventure we would know the end result but the story would probaly be as fun as teds
firstly, lol

secondly, kind of a good idea but with himym we are all watching thinking who is the mother - with himyf we would watch and go it's ted mosby
I like this show for what it is: a half-hour sitcom that gives me laughs no matter what. I know it's tiring waiting for the mother to be revealed, but I would hate for it to just end once he meets her. There are so few things we know about her that I think it wouldn't be fair to the story line and characters to just end the show when Barney and Robin get married. As far as pacing goes, they can hold on Barney and Robin's wedding until season 9, let Ted meet the woman he'll marry and end the season with how they get married and all. I know it's called "How I Met Your Mother," but seriously, would any of us really be satisfied with an abrupt ending when Ted finally meets her?
This show stopped being good exactly 4 seasons ago and I cannot understand why people don't see it? How can you not see the change in quality and lack of commitment of the actors? It is annoying and tiring to watch the episodes... for the love of God there is certainly no reason for a 9th reason!!
Those who are still watching the show for the sole reason of knowing how Ted met his wife should've stopped watching it 4 years ago!
This show is MORE than just the story of how the 'mother' was found. This show is actually, like FRIENDS (although this show doesn't come ANYWHERE near it), about the lives of the main 'group' members. It's just not Ted's journey, it's ALL OF THEIRS. It's about the hillarious, emotional, life-changing incidences of the main group of friends: Ted, Robin, Barney, Lily and Marshall.
So if you're still watching the show, don't expect to see the 'mother' anytime soon. Instead, enjoy the comedy and its' leads' performances. The writing may not always be the best but, heck, it's on the level of most sitcoms out there.
Thank You and Merry Christmas.
Is it on level with Community? Happy Endings? It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Parks and Recreation? 30 Rock? Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23? Suburgatory? Modern Family, etc...? No! It's on par with (or better than) Whitney, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, Two & Half Men and The Big Bang Theory, and that's how low the show stooped, to a point where the only nice thing you can say about it is: "Well, at least it's better than Whitney!"
I'm sorry, but it's supposed to be about Ted first and foremost, the same way Scrubs was about JD but they failed to make the main protagonist interesting the way he was in the first 3 seasons... It was mostly about Ted, and guess what, people somehow prefer the first seasons... Barney is best when he's a supporting character, too much Barney is overkill... While Marshall and Lily are a shallow copy of the go-to cliché for lazy sitcom writers: new parents that are figuring out how to raise a kid. How many episodes did they have this season where the only thing Lily & Marshall did was cry because they were away from Marvin or missing important steps or whatever... And they can't exist separately, they've been like conjoined twins for several seasons... Robin is the only one that's still alright by my books...
More +
i am tired of waiting to see who the 'mother' is......... but i would be ok if they revealed her at the end and then dedicated the next season on building that plot.......
This comment has been removed.
I totally agree. It's one of those shows that irritates by its very presence. I don't even have to watch it to hate it.
As long as the mother is still revealed this season. I would very much enjoy a 9th season that included the first years of their relationship. I do not want Ted's plotline to continue with him being single through another season and half.
I couldn't agree more
the mother is gonna be the last we'll see...
a whole story will lead up to the moment where we finally see here and the show will end with "and that's how i med your mother" She will never be a part of the show
Exactly! But people don't understand that!
Why not reveal the mother this season, and then slightly change the name of the series? From "How I Met Your Mother" to "Since I Met Your Mother"?
This show is nowhere near the end. I say let there be a 9th season.
They HAVE to reveal the mother this season. Or else somebody's gonna start a riot.
Take the next season to show a few struggles between Ted and the Wife and then some nice make-up sex and proposal. The end
I still think the rest of the characters can meet her in season nine, and get to see she's perfect for Ted, but he doesn't meet her untilt the series finale aka Barney and Robin's wedding. It also explains why Ted started the story with meeting Robin in the first place.
The past 4 episodes of HIMYM rekindled my faith for the show and if they play their cards right, season 9 could be legendary. I believe that if we're introduced to the mother by season 8's final scene, season 9 would be really interesting of how they got along and to finally get to know his wife.
They have to reveal the mother now If they don't after Baiting everyone for the big finally reveal they'll loose veiwership. and plus you've got to look at the reasons for segel staying it's aparent why he wanted to stop being in the show. before it was becoming something so over the top and going nowhere that it was a wonder if they would ever get to the mother. Now the past two seasons and this one has been the big build up to that fate filled day. This season has to be the cliff hanger reveal of the mother and the set up for what I'd like to call "life with your mother." storyline Where it might end in either the wedding or the birth of the first child.
Its ridiculous to see some of the impatient comments on here begging the show to reveal the mother immediately and in effect destroying all intrigue and momentum of the show. We simply shoudn't find out until the very end. There's no point in continuing the show after she's revealed. It would be all downhill from there. This reminds me of the people who couldn't stand waiting for Clark to become Superman on Smallville. Yes people! Let's make the show as boring as possible. When characters get married and have kids viewers tune out or at the very least become uninterested. Look at Jim and Pam or how about Cory and Topanga?

I would suggest having Barney and Robin's wedding at the end of the season, Ted meeting the mother but the audience doesn't. Then throughout season nine, Ted could perhaps date several women he met at the wedding or in the town it was held in (not sure if she was at the wedding or just in town). Leave the audience guessing until the last episode as to which woman is the mother and then show a flashback of Ted meeting her.
How do you explain Lilly and Marshal? And Corey and topanga didn't loose there flair you just got to see them evolve into this Oddball psychotic couple. you know a regular married couple. : )
The wedding of Cory and Topanga was the reason the show was cancelled. Everyone watched the show up until that point. The wedding got huge ratings and then everyone lost interest and it slid to (I believe) 88th in the ratings. Cybil and Bruce on moonlighting are another great example.

As for Lily and Marshall, they're not the focal point of the show. I'm not sure they're that popular either. There are plenty of people who find them to be cute; there are people who find them to be "that typical annoying couple" that wants everyone to think they're adorable but are instead borderline insufferable. I'm really back and forth on what to think of them.
A bit off the topic of which season in which to end, I get the impression people want a continuation after Ted meets 'the mother' I'd rather end it with Ted finally meeting her and saying 'and thats how I met your mother' instead of pulling it out and ending with 'and thats how I met and got-my-friends-to-know and proposed-to then married your mother'
i agree, its how I "met" not how I got married to
or have ted meet her, date her, marry her, and have their first kid, after all, he cant meet a mother until she is one.
we already know she is one, Ted's been talking to their kids for 8 years.
oh cmon. its been already 8 years, i ve become a mother and my husband will eventually start to tell our son about our story. so please Ted. have a haircut and a bride.period.
Mother at the end of this season! if it doesn't work we can just skip season 9 on the re-watch (kinda like Lost's season 6)
HIMYM has become a shell of its former self, but without a 9th season, the name of the show might as well have been "How Barney Married Robin."
I like this just because if it were to end this season, there likely wouldn't be any time for the viewers to get to know and love the woman that Ted ends up with - and if we don't really get to see her, what's the point of the series?
This comment has been removed.
Look at the picture on the home page.
just ranting a bit. Move alone, nothing to see. I'll make more sense next time, maybe.
More coasting, really. I used to love this show, but it just seems to be going through the motions now. I never thought that about Friends, so maybe it's an age thing, I don't know.
not ready for this show to end yet! need season 9 and that would wrap it up nicely
this season was not as good as the old ones but this show is just getting old, it didn't lose its high quality and it's still above many other comedies on TV right now... I think a 9th season wouldn't be too bad, at least we'd get to see Barney and Robin in an actual long-term committed relationship and we'd get to know the so long awaited mother! I feel like they could end this season with Ted at that bus station alone as he was in the winter finale (right after a final conversation with Robin at the wedding and after she chooses Barney for good, since they've always said Ted couldn't find the one until he got COMPLETELY over Robin) and we might just see the mother's face. Then, next season, we'll witness the first meeting in the pilot and get to know her during the first half. In the second half we'll see why she and Ted are so perfect for each other and in the final episode she might find out she's pregnant. and I know the story is about how Ted met the mother not how she became a mother but if the mother is a totally new girl, one we never met before then wouldn't it be even worse if the whole series ended without getting any kind of confirmation of her BEING THE ONE and some kind of pay-off???
Die already, this show should have gone 4 or 5 series absolute max, there are no new stories to tell, nothing new to say about any of the characters, I might tune in to see the mother but basiclly Carter and Bays ruined that many years ago and what should have been the crowning achievement of a show that was sweet when Ted loved Robin will be a massive let down. It's not good people, watch the League instead.....
I love this show! i don't really like Ted all that much but i love the characters... I loved Lilly and Marshall on the episode that Victoria (hate her) and Ted broke up these two were on FIRE! Haha....
I would love a ninth season that revolves around Ted and the mother's (who i would like to find out who she is by the end of this season) love story. And of course Barney's and robbins married life that should be HILARIOUS!
This show is amazing and i loved the proposal in the lAst episode.... can't wait to see what's gonna happen next :-)
I would say go and have the 8th season ending being when he meets her and have the 9th be both of the future Ted and future mother's story. That would be cool and make it their first year dating and engagement and the lat episode have some time jumps to the major events of their life.
I think the 9th Season would be necessary! We could have a bunch of stories of Barney and Robin married it could be fun. Use the last episode in this season for that long awaited wedding AND Ted meeting the mother. And finally use the 9th Season for showing their love, fights and break up.
Pad out the storyline? Isn't that what has been going on for years already? And if there is anyone the show could do without it's Segel, but seriously just end the damn thing!
Segal, that's right, Jason Segal. I hate him.
Load More Comments