How I Met Your Mother's Season 8 Premiere: The Pursuit of a Lifelong Treasure of Destiny

How I Met Your Mother S08E01: "Farmhampton"

How I Met Your Mother has always been a show that isn’t scared to make a big speech the highlight of the episode. Ted is usually the one giving these speeches, whether he's insisting to Robin that he should be able to tell someone he just met that he loves her or sharing with his kids the idea of being in the right place at the right time. "Farhampton," the premiere of HIMYM’s eighth and most likely final season, turned the tables on Ted, though. In this episode, Ted Mosby was the one listening to a speech that would change his life.

But before we get to that, let’s jump back a few scenes. After revealing that Robin was Barney’s bride at the end of Season 7, tonight HIMYM picked up right where it left off. Ted found himself dealing with Robin’s bout of cold feet. Looking at the window in her dressing room, Robin remarked that it would be easy to climb right out of it. Her mention of going out the window caused Ted to quip that it’d be much easier to climb out that window than it would be to climb in through it.

Jumping back to the present day, we found Ted and Victoria happily driving off together, only for things to come to a halt once Ted realized Victoria hadn’t left a note for Klaus, her fiance. Ted quickly explained that an “I’m leaving you at the altar” note gives the rejected party a chance to mourn (and eventually cause some brick-fueled destruction). It’s a common courtesy.

I’m still torn on the idea of Ted running off with Victoria for this very reason. Ted was the guy who got left at the altar. We watched him fall in love with Stella, earn her daughter’s trust, come to terms with moving to New Jersey, and even agree to assume ownership of the most hippy-esque wedding ever... all for him to have his heart broken. And now Ted is encouraging Victoria to do the same to Klaus as she leaves the poor guy a note? C’mon, Teddy Westside, you’re better than this.

That said, Ted wound up getting the moral loophole he was hoping for, running into a fleeing Klaus at the church. Klaus had realized that Victoria wasn’t the woman he should marry and planned to leave her at the altar. Unlike Victoria, he left a note. As Klaus ran away, Ted finally summoned the courage to climb the church’s drainpipe and stage Victoria’s room to make it look like she'd found Klaus’s note, cried over it, and then ran away herself.

With that, Ted cleared every obstacle to being with Victoria. He finally had the girl of his dreams. He had the chance to stop looking for the one. He could be with Victoria. They could bake cupcakes together. They could sit on the porch with Marshall and Lily and grow old. But Ted just had to do one more thing: He had to ask Klaus why the runaway groom couldn’t marry Victoria.

Ted couldn’t just be happy with Victoria. He had to have someone tell him why Victoria was—or wasn't—the one. Like those great speeches of the show’s past, Klaus’s words to Ted set a course for the rest of the journey HIMYM plans on taking us on. As Klaus explained to Ted that Victoria wasn’t his “lifelong treasure of destiny” and was instead “the thing that is almost the thing that you want but is not quite,” you could see that Ted had realized the same thing. I think he loved the idea of being with Victoria more than he loved Victoria.

As Ted let us know that he was still a bit of time away from finding the one, we jumped back to Barney and Robin’s wedding day just in time to see a taxi arrive. A woman got out of the cab. She pulled her guitar case out of the taxi’s trunk. And as the camera panned out, we saw it—the yellow umbrella. This is the endgame. This is the mother. We don’t know her name, and we haven’t seen her face yet, but Ted Mosby is now just a few feet away from the one. As Ted once told us many seasons ago, the universe has a plan, and that plan is always in motion. Ted had finally found himself in the right place at the right time.

So what happens next? This scene was in the future, taking place ten hours after Ted was talking Robin down before her wedding. We still need to get to this point. How long will HIMYM make us wait before returning to this point? Season 7 began with Barney’s wedding day, but didn’t return to it until the season finale. If this is the last season of HIMYM, we’re going to have to return here sooner rather than later. We’ve watched Ted fall in love with Robin, Victoria, Stella, and Zoey—the story of Ted falling in love with the mother of his children needs time to be told. This show now has us closer to hearing that story than we’ve ever been before.

The other big plotline of the episode followed the rest of the gang as Quinn learned that Barney had dated Robin but was okay with it because Robin was now dating Nick. Marshall and Lily, suffering deadly levels of sleep deprivation, blew Barney’s secret. As Klaus’s speech to Ted played out in voiceover, we saw Robin open Barney’s box preserving the memories of their time as a couple while Barney looked longingly out his taxi window as Quinn fell asleep on his shoulder. Barney still loves Robin. Poor Quinn. Just like Nora, she doesn’t stand a chance.

This was likely the beginning of the end. We know where Ted’s going, and we know some of the stops along the way. There are possibly just twenty-something episodes left to finish a journey that we began with How I Met Your Mother back in 2005. I’m going to miss this show when it’s gone, but I can’t wait to see what it has in store for us over the next season.

NOTES & QUOTES

– When we first saw Ted sitting on that bench at the beginning of the episode, his right hand was bandaged. What happens to him at the wedding? With this group of friends, it could be anything. Hopefully someone’s hidden away the hair clippers this time.

– Quinn on why she can’t ask her co-workers to be in her wedding: “I worked at a strip club, and I know they’d complain about any bridesmaid dress with a front.”

– Robin to Barney after he showed her the edited versions of his pictures: “ You replaced me with a tiger?”

– Barney’s 52-second summary of How I Met Your Mother was fantastic. It also reinforced the belief that HIMYM has evolved from being Ted’s story to being Barney’s story instead. The latter part of Barney’s summary was all about himself, Robin, Nora and Quinn.

– Lily after learning that Quinn lets Barney fart in front of her: “She lets you fart in front of her?” Marshall after learning that Quinn lets Barney fart in front of her: “Barney, you go get that girl.”

– Robin to the gang while explaining that she’s really into her new boyfriend: “I don’t wanna be crude, but I wanna spend all day licking his abs.”

– Is Robin really happy with Nick? If so, it’s the first time we’ve seen her this happy in a while. I always thought she seemed on-edge with Kevin, which probably had to do with the fact that he was her shrink.

– Klaus to Ted after Ted tracked him down: “I don’t know what kind of vibe I was giving off before, but I am not interested in your schnitzel.”

– We’ve seen that guitar and those ankles (well, maybe not those exact ankles) before, when Ted was in Cindy’s apartment. The show’s creative minds won’t reveal whether the woman under the yellow umbrella is a stunt mother or the actual actress who plays her. Sneaky.

– The song playing during the end of the episode? “The Funeral” by Band of Horses.

What'd you think of the episode?

I didn't like this episode much. I didn't really laugh at all, and I'm getting quite sick of Ted. I knew Victoria wasn't going to be the mother, but watching him go back and forth and back and forth with almost every woman he dates is getting tiresome. Now that they're doing it with Robin and Barney, I'm starting to get tired of them too. Marshall and Lily seem tired themselves. It just didn't feel like a fun or funny episode.

I'm going to keep watching this season, unless I see a News Brief on this site or hear about it from someone that this wont be the final season. If it gets renewed for more, I think I may just stop watching until the series finale or something.
I love that Band of Horses song. So good.
I'm going to watch this season in hopes it will be the last. I watched it when it first started and have seen a few episodes since and though it was okay but nothing special. I just want to know how it ends, I really hope they stop trying to stretch it out longer than they already have, I still think the premise would have been better as a movie.
I sadly think I'ts a bit optimistic to think Ted is actually going to make contact with the mother at that train-station. He's been this close before and the creators seem determined to drag this show on for longer than anyone else would like to see it..
Was I the only one that was a little disappointed with that premiere episode? It lacked the spark that other premiere episodes of HIMYM had in the past. And I'm just tired of the story. The whole thing of Barney getting back with Robin is a little too much for me. They dated, hated each other afterwards and moved on. I don't get why the writers decided to re-explore this storyline. It's been done. I miss Nora and Quin seems like a great character in her own right. They should have continued to explore the evolution of those character (I would have been partial to Nora who would have added some fresh blood to the lineup of Ted, Robin, Marshal, Lily and Barney). Not only that, but the story is getting long on the tooth. I'm not surprised that this would be the last season and as much as I'd miss the show, the characters and their relationship have lost their novelty and their freshness a while ago. It'll be sad to see it go but at the same time, its certainly time to say goodbye.
meet her already! if i were the kids, i'd be praying i was adopted!!!

and ya... i'd like to see that last slap! :)
Am I the only one who is that anxious about the last slap from Marshall?? Frankly I want to see that even more than I want to finally meet the mother!!
The wedding perhaps?
Honestly, I thought the ep was mediocre at best. I missed himym's humour and excellent writing. Once upon a time himym got me in stitches but no.... Hopefully this is the last season and they dont stretch it until nothing's left.
Why does anybody think that we'll actually learn who the mother is? I can just imagine the last scene being Ted saying something to the yellow umbrella, and finishing with "and that's how I met you mother" (I can also see a prerecorded scene where the kids totally unimpressed get up from the couch and go they ways :D).

I think this season will be about Barney and Robin, and about Ted breaking up with Victoria, and so not about the mother. IMHO.

This ... exactly this. I've never understood why so many fans of this series are so obsessed with the mother, much less expect to ever necessarily have her show up onscreen. It's all about the group's lives and Ted's (presumable) character growth LEADING UP TO the titular meeting. I'd find it entirely consonant with the conceit of the show to have the last frame of the final episode be Ted saying "Hi, it's nice to meet you ..." to the mother, possibly without her face ever being shown at all.
"We've watched Ted fall in love with Robin, Victoria, Stella, and Zoeythe story of Ted falling in love with the mother of his children needs time to be told."

Actually, in a way, we're already being told that story. Future Ted has already told the kids about the first time he almost met their mother, and we found out all the things she does and likes that will make Ted fall in love with her. And really, I don't know that the show will really tell much more of the story of Ted falling in love with the mother. Don't forget the premise of the show. It's right in the title: "How I MET Your Mother." He's telling the story of meeting her, not falling in love with her. I wouldn't be surprised if we meet the character soon (since she presumably knows either Barney or Robin, being at the wedding), but we're not told that she is the mother until the final episode of the show.
The guitar probably means she worked the wedding...
How do you know the mother scene was set ten hours after the Ted/Robin convo?
Ted's scene with the old lady (first few minutes) happened 10 hours after the Ted/robin convo.(its obvious, it stated 10 hours earlier.)

Now, i believe what you're trying to ask is If the mother scene happens after ted told the old lady the wedding story. Well technically there's no way to know that.
Probably because it was the same day as the wedding, but evening. It was daylight outside the window when Robin and Ted were talking in the room.
Half of this episode was written very lazily-the Marshall and Lily bit got old quickly.

But, overall I think it was a pretty satisfying episode. Klaus's speech was excellent. And any time I see the yellow umbrella pop up with an awesome closing song playing, I get chills. It reminded me of "No Pressure" from the seventh season.

I'm still angry at Robin for breaking Barney's heart when she didn't leave Kevin for him. Barney's face in that scene just crushed me. Plus, I like Quinn a lot and I don't want Michael Trucco (whose character was first seen in Season 6 and was alluded to having a much larger role to play than just another boyfriend) to be discarded so quickly.

In any case, I am happy that one of my favorite shows is back on and I will enjoy every minute of its swan song season.
I enjoyed the premier a lot. My favorite line was the baby/zombie mixup from Marshall. LOL
I thought this episode was terrible. Easily worse than any episode in Season 7. The story about Marshall and Lily falling asleep? Talk about lazy - terrible writing. By the way, who really cares about the mother. The show is all about Barney - I could care less about Ted meeting the mother. The whole "when will he meet the mother" thing is the worst part of this show.
I'm giving up. I quit watching last year but this premiere was another confirmation that this show is SO boring. Seriously, Hannigan and Segel looked just as bored as I was. Ted is insanely self-centered, I really don't think he deserves to find his love because he's an annoying snob. Robin and Barney are exhausting with their fake chemistry. Their "relationship" felt forged as on a high school show: kids who don't know love and have nothing better to do then to create drama around it. Becki Newton was painfully underused. And the same jokes as years ago were overused. Barney lying seconds before confessing the truth. Returning jokes that aren't funny. Ted with his stupid rules and insanely fickle "feelings". Really, at this point only NPH is the best thing HIMYM has going for it. I remember being so thrilled upon seeing the yellow umbrella, but now I just want to put it some place near Ted where the sun most definitely won't shine. Also, if 9O21O did a better montage of a song than you did, as a show, you probably want to call it quits.
I love this show so much but GOD do I want it to end. If it gets renewed it will just be another year of pointless waiting. Never before have I wanted a great show to NOT get a renewal. It's 8 years, we've had a great run, tell us the answer so we can move on.
this was a perfect opportunity to use "fantasy German" (the most fun language in the world) in a review...

chance missed!
Ted is officially disgusting here. He can't quiiiiite be happy with Victoria because she's not his perfect one, just like a million other broads. Maybe when you've dated as many women as Ted has and none of those relationships are working, the problem isn't them, it's you. It's like the creators of this show have an entirely broken understanding of what marriage should be and what a good woman is, and the real reason they haven't gotten anywhere with the mother is that they cannot settle on any actress who can fit the bill of the perfect perfection of perfectness that they've set up - they know that at this point any woman they show will be a letdown no matter how great because Ted has impossible goals and benchmarks.

As for the episode, it was fine but not a strong effort, a lot of spinning wheels with Lily, Marhsall, Robin, Quinn, and Barney with softball jokes and a thin plotline; and Ted's grotesque behavior with Victoria - "I love you and you're the perfect one right up until I have you and then I create the cracks that break us up" is such a lame repeat of him and Zoey that I have to wonder why we went through it at all.
The woman Ted is looking for (and meets) is not supposed to be THE perfect woman for any and every man. She is supposed to be the perfect woman for Ted.
The reason they haven't "officially" cast the mother yet is because we're probably going to get to know her this season, then have the reveal that she's the mother. If many fans are correct in putting together the puzzle pieces, the mother could easily be Barney's half-sister. There are many clues leaning this way. It's possible Barney will meet his sister this season, but they don't want us to know she's the mother before Ted reveals it to the kids. Hence, still not showing an actress they've likely picked by now.
Great episode. I hope they will give a face to the woman under the yellow umbrella by the end of the year. And I do mean this year.
haha lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz :)

Nice to see a german character in a show who says something wise and beautiful / even though it is not a thing we say in Germany ...

Great episode / great show.
Oh, Germans! ;)

lebenslanger Schicksalschatz is okay, but what's the other word??

"beinahe...?"

It took a long time to understand the first word, but the second is impossible for me!
This comment has been removed.
It was a really good episode! i think it's better to wrap things up by the end of this season, it's a great show and deserves a great ending.

Two minor cintinuity things: as someone already said, didn't the mother play bass? (perhaps the taxi driver didn't know the difference, right?). And the other one is that when Barney tells the story in 52 seconds(!) he says Robin went to Brazil, but she went to Argentina where she met Gael. Maybe they changed it because it was harder to say ?
This comment has been removed.
I don't think they meant to imply that they are all tall and wrestlers otherwise Barney wouldn't have to specify that. Also we know you're not all like that, relax
Yes. Good episode. Now can someone explain why Robin was wearing her watch on her sleeve??
I guess the watch is too big for her wrist? *Shrugs*

Good catch; I didn't see it at first.
Omg that was annoying me!! At first I thought it was part of the top.
I'm still torn on the idea of Ted running off with Victoria for this very reason. Ted was the guy who got left at the altar. We watched him fall in love with Stella, earn her daughter's trust, come to terms with moving to New Jersey, and even agree to assume ownership of the most hippy-esque wedding ever... all for him to have his heart broken. And now Ted is encouraging Victoria to do the same to Klaus as she leaves the poor guy a note? C'mon, Teddy Westside, you're better than this.

couldn't have said it better myself, but with that said, i enjoyed the episode mostly. good start to whats likely the final season. although, i'd much rather have a 9th to really send the show off
this episode was great! and it makes me wonder if barney and robin really DO end up getting married because ted told the elderly woman he didn;t want to talk about it (of course being ted that didn;t last but)

it does indeedy seem that this will be the last season, because essentially we now know where he meets their mother, we don;t know exactly how but we can put the frame around the picture now. This is closer than we;ve ever been, so it looks like the journey is coming to a close, but it feels like its time, and now i am excited to meet their mother!!
"As Ted once told us many seasons ago, the universe has a plan, and that plan is always in motion. Ted had finally found himself in the right place at the right time."

Reading that reference in this review gave me goosebumps--it's one of my favourite quotes in the entire series! So excited for this season.
This show needs to be put out of its misery. It's already 4 seasons too long. Also, terrible review. We have already seen the episode, add something that makes it worth reading.
umm no sir, this show might be one of the best running on tv right now and a review of an episode pretty much means describing what happened in it....did you think Bill was going to give you some super secret spoiler? , your comment makes you look like a jackass...keep up the articles after every episode (especially the Notes and quotes)
A review is more about one's feelings about what happened. Just describing what happened is a recap.

I'm not saying you're wrong about this particular review though... Bill stated some opinions and beliefs, so it was more than a recap.
um, no. this review was awesome, its last two seasons have been two of the best, and if you feel that way, why did you bother commenting in the first place?
This show is LEGEN (wait for it--)
DARY!
I liked the episode. They are beginning to wrap things up (I think). As much as I like this show, this has to be the last season. They can't keep Jason Segel for much longer, and they can't do it without him.
It took me over 52 seconds just to think up this comment.
Loved it!The ending made this an exceptional episode but the comedy was pretty average!Still,a great premiere..
I loved the 52 second summary! It's taking Ted eight freaking season to say the exact same thing!
Is it so hard to find an actor that acutally speaks german? Breaking Bad did, so why can't HIMYM? I mean, you can understand what he's saying, but this guy probably never spoke any german word before...
did anyone understand the second long word Klaus says?

I only got "lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz"...
That's exactly what I was thinking. There are a lot of german actors in Hollywood, it wouldn't be hard to find one.
Ahem. We fought two wars to ensure that we would NOT be speaking German.
Very funny. Here are some facts about germans in the US.

According to American Community Survey in 2010 data, Americans reporting German ancestry made up an estimated 17.1% of the total U.S. population, and form the largest ancestry group ahead of Irish Americans, African Americans and English Americans.

German Americans established the first kindergartens in the United States,introduced the Christmas tree tradition, and originated popular American foods such as hot dogs and hamburgers
And we Germans love it to be called Nazis and have our language reduced to a joke. Thank you very much for your comment. It will encourage international understanding.
Great episode. Barney and Robin are meant to be together.
Please everyone read this because i'm 99% sure it's true:

1 - Ted has already met the mother but they didn't talk and it was in season 3 episode 12 No Tomorrow he bumped into her and they didn't talk and ted says that the mother was in the same bar.

2 - The mother is Barney's sister because Ted meets her at Barney's wedding and Barney's dad says that Barney has a sister but she's away in college and Ted say's that the mother was in the college he teaches in.

3 - another reason the woman from season 3 No Tomorrow is the mother is because she's Brunette and ted hints that if the mother is stilla that the kids would be blond.

4 - Pleas everyone rewatch No Tomorrow and see the actress i think her name is Emmanuelle Vaugier.

hopefully you didn't waste your time and hopefully i'm right about this.
They made a big deal about zooming in on him, bumping into someone at that party. My guess was it was the Mother... though the actress they chose was just some stand-in / extra. I don't think it was Emmanuelle.

I imagine that when we finally meet the mother, the episode will bombard us with clips of near-misses between the two and how she was around for various big moments without them realizing. The "bump" is going to be one of them.

That is, assuming they haven't already used the "bump" for another character.
It wasn't Emmanuelle. tnetennba's got the right actress: Nicole Muirbrook.
One of the user reviews of that episode says the same thing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1203040/. That person says that the actress is Nicole Muirbrook.
I stopped watching this show years ago, but I totally agree about #1. I thought it was obvious at the time that the girl he bumped into was the mother. (Why else was that scene even included?) I have mentioned that to a few HIMYM fans, but they didn't know what I was talking about.
I know exactly what you're both talking about and I thought the exact same thing (minus the Barney's sister part).

I also believe that episode had something to do with the yellow umbrella. Either Ted found it there, or left it there and the "mother" found it. I forget the specifics, but the umbrella was connected to that momentary bump somehow.

I also looked up the actress you generously listed and she definitely fits the bill. I always thought she would be a relatively unknown actress. If it turns out to be her, then I'd have to give the writers a lot of credit for such awesomely long foreshadowing.
OK after watching season 8 premiere maybe the part about the mother being Barney's sister is a little off since he meets her after the wedding but maybe she's getting out of the wedding ? and the rest is still plausible.

But i have to know if the mother is not Barney's sister then why did the writers write a sister for Barney ? either she's the mother or she will be in a couple of episodes this season so that Barney can meet her.
*Barney and Robin
With Barney it wasn't something that happened instantaneously but the contrary something that developed over time. And how great would it have been if ted after running of with victoria he' ran of with robin too. I'd have loved that.
Look. I love this show. I mean....a lot. It's 3 A.M right now, and Blitzgiving is playing on Netflix behind me. (which, by the way, please bring back the Blitz for an episode this season. AWWWWW MAAAANNN is part of my everyday lexicon). I spend many a sleepless night watching random episodes. For a while I had "Let's Go To the Mall" as my ringtone. I'm a fan.

But this show needs to end this season. Don't drag it out anymore, the concept is already long in the tooth, and while you still have some great comedy, and this is a rare cast that just all have remarkable chemistry with each other, in the same vein as Friends or Seinfeld (not comparing the shows, just the chemistry the actors all have with each other) it's time to let it end. It will live on forever anytime we turn on Netflix, or try to lick the Liberty Bell (which I've also attempted to do, I live near Philly)
Bass. Ted's future wife plays the bass.
Thank you. While I watched this episode I had to point that out to my sisters. When Ted was in the room all those years ago he commented on a bass, not a guitar. But does it really matter? Haha
This was an amazing episode. The 52 second summary from Barney was the best!.

I wish this is not the last season. Didn't I read here that they were waiting for confirmation? Anyways, if this is indeed the last season, there is not going to be time to show how Ted falls in love with the mother, so it will just show how they met (after all, it's the name of the show), but after seeing Ted falling for all those other girls, it would be great to see their story. So that is why we need another season.

You could do a spinoff, but Ted's character is the least-favorite on the show, and a big part of what makes the show great is the chemistry of the cast.

So I wouldn't hold my breath.