Irwin video may surface

Steve Irwin was shooting footage for his TV series Crocodile Hunter early Monday when he was killed by a giant bull stingray. Now, those familiar with the digital media world say it's only a matter of time before the grisly footage surfaces.

"Once there's something on film, it's impossible to keep it contained," Paul Levinson, chairman of Fordham University's Department of Communication and Media Studies, told the Associated Press.

Appearing on Larry King Live, Irwin's manager John Stainton told King he hopes the video is destroyed.

"I would never want that tape shown," Stainton said to King. "It should be destroyed."

Irwin may have felt differently.

British gossip Web site Contact Music UK says Irwin once said, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling... Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me."

In a 2002 Associated Press interview, Irwin said, "If I'm going to die, at least I want it filmed... We could have gone to MGM and gone, 'Hey, look at this tape.'"

Media analyst Martin Kaplan, of the Annenberg School of Communication at University of Southern California, told AP that there is no compelling reason the tape should be shown.

"The only remote justification for publicizing this would be accident prevention," said Kaplan. "But that argument is a stretch."

Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism professor Samuel G. Freedman agrees.

"The lay person is not going into the water trying to have encounters with stingrays," Freedman said. "It would be purely titillation and necrophilia if anyone were to show this."

Kaplan said that just because the tape shouldn't be seen doesn't mean it won't be.

"There's a race for the bottom in our culture."

Oct 21, 2006
Pretending that Steve was joking when he said that he'd want the footage of his death shown is worse than wanting to watch it. Honor the guys wish and show the damn tape! It's gonna get out anyway so it's better that it gets officially released. If you don't want to watch it then just don't. Fricking censorship is what many of you love.
Oct 04, 2006
To ye peeps that actually want to see the video that is just plain morbid,I see death everday in my work,tis not a pretty thing to see on a daily basis and to those of ye that say it will be aired I beg to differ,look at my earlier post!
Oct 04, 2006
I watched the interview with Terry Erwin and Barbra Walters and Terry said that video will NEVER be aired to the public and why should it anyway,don't we want to remember Steve in a better way?
Sep 28, 2006
I am a very loyal viewer of Irwin's shows. Just watching Steve Irwin has provided the education for my children,that animals are very important not just for display at a zoo. They have learned that even the most dangerous animals need to be protected. I want everyone to remember him at his highest and not have everyone be reminded of how he died. As I'm sure his family would agree,especially his children. I understand that I could just not watch but where do we draw the line. It's bad enough that when famous people die all their dirty laundry is maid public. I can't believe that anyone that really thought anything of him would even want to watch.
Sep 24, 2006
I think it should be available to see, both because Steve Irwin apparently wanted it that way and for it's informational content, a learning experience, so to speak.

I don't feel it should be shown on TV in an uncontrolled environment, where children could be exposed or even adults that simply wouldn't want to see such images, but making the footage available on the internet would allow it to be seen without risk of inadverdant exposure to the content.

Steve Irwin seemed to be a good person with an exceptionally positive outlook on life and I wouldn't want to watch it to see him die but I would like to know what went wrong and how a person as well trained and knowledgeable as he was could have been killed by a Giant Bull Stingray.

After all, I thought, as most viewers of Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, PBS, etc., that these are docile animals that actually like human contact. What happened to change the animals normally passive nature? What happened to turn the encounter into a deadly one?

EB
Sep 20, 2006
I'd only want to see because i want to know what his last thoughts in this world truly were. plus he sed he wanted it to be filmed.
Sep 18, 2006
I know I'm a bit late responding had to think about this for a few. Think sometimes when you have a dangerous job you joke about things to keep the stress level down and so your family doesn't worry so much; think that is what happened here. If you are a parent would you want your child to be able to see your death? Would you want them to carry that memory of you? Or would you want them to remember your smile first? So I think for the children's sake it should be either destroyed or held by Terri until such time as SHE thinks she and her family are ready for the release, IF EVER. Why do we want to see it? We've lost a great person and watching it sure won't bring him back. There has been much violence against the stingray now because of Steve's death; do we want to risk more? Would Steve want that? No. If he thought it would lead to the death of just ONE stingray, then he would say NO NO NO. Let's let Steve rest in peace and respect the wonderful work he's done and will continue to do thru his family and friends. God Bless you Steve-o and keep those animals safe in Heaven! WE LOVE YA MATE!
Sep 13, 2006
I’m positive it wouldn’t be shown, Discovery Inc has already made statement they wouldn’t be airing it. There is only one copy which will likely be destroyed unless Steve’s wife wants to hold of to it for some reason. There’s way too much good footage of Steve for me to want to see his death.
Sep 11, 2006
i know it's sick but i kind of want to see it. i just wonder what death by stingray looks like.
Sep 11, 2006
I think its very sad that Steve is gone,but he did leave us with great memories of him and the wild life,he was one of the bravest men in the whole world. I dont think the video should even be an issue right now,his family and friends are grieving right now they dont need to be faced with the video of his death all over their t.v's and the internet. Its about respect for his family?
Sep 09, 2006
According to what Steve said this video should be shown.
Sep 09, 2006
I'm beginning to think the downfall of society is going to be caused by you people. Reality is life. Seeing this, is reality. Why are you acting like it's an evil curse if you witness this video? People should witness reality, it shows you what's actually going on in this world. If you're too skiddish to watch it, THEN DON'T WATCH IT, SIMPLE AS THAT. I have no idea at what point seeing something awful actually became something disrespectful. Is it because you think we're watching it for entertainment? No. We're watching it for reality. For everyone that says destroy this video, pity on you, you have no place in my life. Reality has been increasingly masked over time, live in reality.
Sep 08, 2006
Oh, please!! I know people are going to want to see this. It's just in our nature. But this video really needs to be hidden away for ever. I want to remember Steve Irwin as he was...a lovable, goofy guy who's love for animals and the environment was unequaled. I certainly don't want my children to see his death like that. We just need to remember, this was the way he wanted to go...doing what he loved to do...being with animals.
Sep 08, 2006
None of ya'll are thinking the about his fans young children. I work closely with young children and I don't think a young child shou see this video. If it is releaseed I think that it should show on a News program or on local news. SO the parents can veiw it first. RIP Steve "Crocs Rule"
Sep 08, 2006
Im finding it too hard to decide whether or not it should be released and its really out of my hands so theres no point really worring about it.
Like someone mentoned above the Timothy Treadwell audio tape wasnt realesed (well as far as I no it wasnt) and so if Steves tape does get realesed then I guess it was just ment to be and it should be upto u the viewer to decide if its something u need/want to See for wot ever reason u have.

I dont no whether reincarnation is possible but if it is then i reckon we will see u again as a crocodile or snake in some future documentry lol :).

Farewell steve u will be missed by many.
Sep 08, 2006
It's sad but I am 50-50 on this. I think Why show it and that the important stuff be edited, but this is the world that we live in and people seem to want to "See" everything so I am sure it will be shown :(. Heck, I stll reel from when the gentleman was beheaded and that circled the net for so long....
Sep 08, 2006
Its so sad to see a great person from the world taken away so sudden like that, rest in peace Steve.
Sep 08, 2006
While I'm not one for death at all, I think the tape should be shown. For one thing, I believe he's the kind of person who would want it, and he in fact said so himself. Also, since it's going to eventually leak onto the net, I say it's better to release it in some official, respectful manner first.
Sep 08, 2006
This is truly sick. Why the f@&% would anyone release the video of his death into the general pop. of the net? It gets released into the net, get swapped and copied untold hundreds, probably thousands of times. The more copies of it that there is the more chance that his kids or wife might accidentally see it. What kid wants to see film of their parent dying?
Sep 08, 2006
it showed some of it on the news and i don't think he died instantly baecause it showed the sting ray in his chest and then he pulled it out and threw it back into the sea.
Sep 08, 2006
i think the tape should be released because it is what steve want and what he said back in 2002 that if he die on the film and he want it to be filmed. so respect what he want as his wish! he is watching!!!! he is our angel now...
Sep 08, 2006
"Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me" The decision is made, and Steve dit it. I think the video should be shown.
Sep 08, 2006
I think this video needs to be destroyed. Not just packed away and hidden, but destroyed. Otherwise at some point it will surface for the world to see. And I'm sure a wack of people will make a load of coin off it to, which is very sad.
Sep 08, 2006
I am From the United Arab Emirates and i have always watched his shows and i know a lot of people who liked his shows too.

I think he will be missed by al those who wants a better planet for all creatures living here on earth.

My condolences to his family.
Sep 08, 2006
Hey Steve, I know you are lookin down on these so i will make this short and sweet. Steve was a great guy, and a great Father figure, just watching him on those shows, and now, Iknow he will b opening the gates for all our animals and us, We miss u, and love you Steve.

R.I.P. Steve.

P.S.- I hope u do open up the gates for all of us Steve.
Sep 08, 2006
i was really sad when i heard about his sudden death. i am a filipino and filipinos do love him so much.my condolences to his wife and children. i will be missing you a lot mr. irwin.
Sep 08, 2006
Wonderful entertainer, knew how to engage the audience and teach the world about the great outdoors and the animals that live in it. My kids adored his shows & he will be truly missed. Condolences to his family.
Sep 08, 2006
im so freakin sad that he died...
Sep 08, 2006
It's such a terribly sad thing that Steve Irwin is gone. I suppose it was a likely thing to happen, and it is good he went while doing what he loved most. It is, however, gruesome that people will watch his final moments, without respect, without dignity, but simply because it's interesting. There has to come a point when the public stands up for some values, for respect and grace, and don't just apathetically allow the inevitable to bring us down a darker path. We need to stop thinking we have the right to see this stuff.
out*
Sep 08, 2006
man thats real sad aye. wot sucks is dat the whole world found our b4 his wife!
oh i can't belive he died :( R.I.P
Sep 08, 2006
I really hope the tape isn't released.....R.I.P. Steve.
Sep 08, 2006
It's an uncritical mind that accepts two out-of-context and random quotes attributed to Steve as explicit instructions as to how he wanted his death to be treated. Both examples presented in the article we're commenting on sound like of-the-cuff remarks or jokes. Think about all the silly things you've said in your own life and how they might be misunderstood when taken out-of-context. The real sad thing here is that instead of engaging in a debate about whether or not the tape of Steve's death should be disseminated, we should be celebrating the life of an entertainer who loved his job and the joy that it brought millions of fans around the world.
so sad r.i.p. :(
POOR STEVE IRWIN
Sep 08, 2006
He would have wanted this tape to be released it would have made him happy, but it should be his wife's decision now and what she would love to do with the video. I'm just worried abt the family and how well they are taking this. I hope they get through this knowing that Steve really loved what he did and he died doing what he loves. I wish the family all the best and God's richest blessings on their lives.
Sep 08, 2006
I definetly dont think this should be shown. I remember when a terrorist organisation realeased a video of them assasinating someone and everyone like idiots go yeah we should definetly watch that. Considering all the stupid **** involving people getting seriously injured on stuff like plenty of people would watch it. As for Irwin's comments it seems fairly obvious to me he's joking it's known making jokes are a way of dealing with fear in life or death situations and we cant take his comments seriously.
Sep 08, 2006
its like your surfing around on you tube and you click on this randomn vid and OH GOD!!
Sep 07, 2006
I'm not THAT anxious to see a man attacked by a stingray and die before your very eyes....in fact, I'd prefer NOT to see it at all!!!

Whoever has access to that tape must decide for themselves what's the best thing to do next....
Sep 07, 2006
it so doesnt roxx tat steve died atleast i met him and he was so nice........life aint gonna rox without steve.my suggestion 4 the video thing is showing it i mean tat is wut he wanted
Sep 07, 2006
I miss Steve! But I think that either they shuold show it because that's what he wanted or have his family decide.
Sep 07, 2006
If he wanted it to be shown, they should just show it. If he didn't want it shown and the family did, would they show it? Of course not (though it'd eventually leak out anyways), so why should it be any different if he wants it shown and the family doesn't.

I wouldn't enjoy watching it, but I would watch it nonetheless, just to see him die how he lived, doing what he loved to do.
Sep 07, 2006
I am totally crushed by the whole thing. I'm just glad his daughter wasn't there, they are really close. I don't want to see the film of him dying, and I'm sure his family probably doesn't want it shown. But, it may be what he wanted. He had so much life and enthusiasm in him I still find it Very hard to believe he's gone!
Sep 07, 2006
I agree, it is completely the family's decision and no one elses. If they want to respect Steve's wishes and show it, than that is their right. No one is forcing you to watch it if you don't want to. Persoanlly, I wouldn't want to see it. But I would respect their wishes, Steve's wishes, for showing it.
Sep 07, 2006
in my opinion i think his family should choose.
Sep 07, 2006
life sucks
Sep 07, 2006
There's an audio tape of Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend being eaten by a bear and that's never come out.
Sep 07, 2006
they will show that video anyway, but i am not going to watch. not at all!
Sep 07, 2006
I think that if he wanted it to be shown, it should be. But only if his wife agrees. If she doesn't want it out there, I think people should respect her wishes as his wife and father of his young children. My guess is they had talked about it and were on the same page, whatever that page may be. But I think it is fully within her right to choose to release it or not.
Load More Comments