Is Greek a Little Disappointing This Season?

I hate to say it because I really love this show, but is something a little off about the current season of Greek? I was taking the subway home from a little viewing party in Brooklyn last night when my riding companion said that she was just a little underwhelmed or disappointed with all that's happening so far. Now we're only three episodes in so I'm willing to give it more time before I pass final judgment, but I kinda knew what she meant.

Obviously the show's nuclear core is the whole Cappie-Casey-Evan-Whoever Else rhombus. Without it, our giddy little hearts would wither and die. But hasn't it all gotten, this many merry-go-rounds in, a little bit stale? Producers have said that by season's end Casey will be in a committed, stable relationship with either Cappie or (gasp!) Evan, so we've that whole unfolding to look forward to. But, again, might that plotline all feel a little familiar? I think the writers need to distance themselves from that whole storyline for a while. Give Evan some bohemian chick love interest. Let Cappie form a bromance (ughhh... that word!) with a guy who is secretly gay and has a crush on Cappie and they're really close and then Young Americans-esque awkwardness ensues. Not that Cappie would actually date the guy, but a plot line like that could at least get him away from his girl-chasing, frat-drinkin', scheme-hatching tropes for awhile.

Also, as my friend pointed out last night, I know that with the departure of Frannie the show has been suffering from a bitch-vacuum, but cruelly stop-lossing the newly redeemed Rebbecca back into that role just seems like too much of a retread. Maybe someone in Pan Helenic will eventually emerge as the real villain this season, leaving Rebbecca mostly off the hook, but right now I'm not really digging her Hester Prynne stuff. (Unless it leads her back to Evan, which could be interesting.) Rusty and his little bebanged girlfriend are a fine enough story, even though they do look creepily like siblings. Calvin and Hot Roommate, fine. Ashley and Sadness, wish it hadn't gone that way, but OK. None of them are thrilling developments, really.

I dunno. The season just seems a bit blah so far. Still a great show, but not living up to its full potential. What do you think? Am I (and my friends) totally off base?

Sep 16, 2009
I think he meant that the show started decline. It's a little bit boring when you have shows like Gossip Girl, 90210 or Melrose place. Even though I think the show will continue - look at One Tree Hill.
Sep 16, 2009
What's your point, Bruins?
Sep 16, 2009
How did I know this article was written by either Rich Lawson, or Steph Lee?
Sep 16, 2009
I agree about the Ashleigh storyline...after she finally finds happiness the writers screw her over...Not happy!
Sep 16, 2009
Yes I think you're totally off base :) I really loved third episode. Oh and thanks for spoiler..
Sep 16, 2009
I disagree. I actually stopped watching during season 2 because it was just so awful and boring, but thankfully season 3 is much stronger. I like the new relationships for Calvin and Rusty(the gotcha game!), Evan minus the trust fund, and Rebecca minus the powers of manipulation. Getting Casey back in greek government is a great way to showcase the better side of that character (and the fun catty side of the greek system). It's also a great way to explain how Casey could stay around after senior year (Cyprus Rhodes Pan-Hellenic liason, maybe?). Heck, even Dale made some progress and took some chances. Greek is on point, if you ask me.
Sep 16, 2009
I think the whole fact that Casey and Evan being friends are just so that they can lead into Evan and Cappie being out and best friends again. it might push Cappie to finally make his move. i feel Casey is faithful enough since all her other relationships failed caused of her feelings for Cappie.

I also want to see more of Ashleigh and Calvin cause they have such good chemistry in my opinion.
Sep 16, 2009
I just loved Greek. I only just discovered Greek back in June and have fallen in love with the show. The first 2 eps of the 3rd season were ok but the third was absolutely hilarious. I just love the KT house especially Beaver. What a dude. I have a feeling the story is setting up for Casey and Evan hookup which I'm not too fond off. CCF
Sep 16, 2009
The Cappie/Casey/Evan love triangle is old and played out. We all know that she's going to end up with Cappie, so mostly it's just all the fans waiting for the inevitable episode where Casey and Cappie finally get over their stubborness and start going out again. Rusty and Jordan are cute, but they're not keeping my interest. The third episode focusing all on them kinda bored me to be honest. I think Rebecca and Evan could be an interesting storyline, but you're right. It's just not that thrilling so far.
Sep 15, 2009
I think it's still great!
Sep 15, 2009
while the first two were just there.. this gotcha game i thought was awesome and cleaver.. the way they had it down to the final two with the game + relationship issues combining i thought was funny and smart at the same time.. It seems like things are just getting set up now though with casey joining Pan Helenic and Evan talking to her/Rebecca.. i can see the storyline going a lot of different ways.. looking forward to see what is next
Sep 15, 2009
First two episodes were ok, not great. But i LOVED the third! Did you not watch it right? It was hilarious. Maybe you should watch it again. and again. and again. and again. I know I will! But it is ok for Cappie and Casey to have some kind of breakthrough. More love in the air.
Sep 15, 2009
A lot of the first season magic that was there is no longer present. Look we are in the third season now, and the stories and characters have to change. The season premier was underwhelming but Greek is one of those shows that takes a while to pick up steam. I really enjoyed last nights episode and thought it was one of the funniest. Especially the whole Mr. & Mrs. Smith scene. Please I do not want a Ross-Rachel thing though. Ugh.
Sep 15, 2009
I agree,the first couple seasons rocked, then it turned really bad
Sep 15, 2009
I definitely agree. I think the first three episodes have been really entertaining, but nothing too important (except for Dale). At this point we all know that Casey is going to end up with Cappie so why can't we just quit with the love triangle already? This isn't Dawson's Creek and they can't keep the triangle going on forever, there just isn't enough support for Casey and Evan. I think I would actually like Evan and Rebecca, they are totally different now than they were at the start of the show. And I don't think Ashley will be sad for too long, I would like to see more of her though. Hopefully pan helenic will take over Franny's shoes.
Sep 15, 2009
I think it's a little early to comment, but its looking that way. I really don't want to see another Casey/Evan/Cappie triangle because , like you said they've already done it.
I want to see a reason for Rebecca suddenly being such a b!tch it's come out of nowhere and if it was more explained it would be a lot better.
The only really interesting storyline is Dale losing his virginity, it could be really interesting as the season goes on.
Sep 15, 2009
I thought it was good. I glad Frannie is gone although I hope they stop messing with Rebecca's character.
Sep 15, 2009
It is dissapointing since there's no more Frannie. Btring back my Frannie!!!
Sep 15, 2009
the first three episodes I feel is just like a soft lull to the rest of the season cause all the scenes were from the preview before this season started. What I can't wait to see in the show and that you left out is Dale, what is going to happen to him now that he has broken his purity pledge, maybe rushing for the frat next year(seeing that he and Cappie are good friends). I also want to see the writers build on the Cappie and Dale relationship
Sep 15, 2009
I totally get what you're saying, I'm thinking the same thing... The "hysteria" about the show that I always felt has kind of...gone away. Well okay, not yet. But it's not as strong as before and I just want the season to take off for real! ...And some Rebecca/Evan heat would really get me in a better mood (not to talk about some Casey/Cappie action, but I guess we'll have to wait a while for that..)
not a fan