Is Josh Schwartz a Good Fit for a U.S. Version of Misfits?

Gossip Girl and Chuck creator Josh Schwartz can basically get anything on TV. He’s earned it. And according to Vulture, what he wants to make next is a remake of British sci-fi dramedy Misfits, which has already earned a loyal U.S. following on Hulu. Schwartz is so invested in the idea, in fact, that he’s writing the pilot script on spec, without a studio or network attached.

Someone is going to buy it: It’s a show about a group of juvenile delinquents who get hit by lightning while doing community service and develop superpowers, including mind-reading, invisibility, turning back time, immortality, and self-cloning. So basically, it’s Skins meets Heroes. That is definitely a TV recipe for keeping me away (and watching the pilot confirmed my suspicions), but if there was an audience for Skins on MTV, I suppose there could be an audience for this, too. (Twentieth Century Fox is certainly betting on it: The studio's upcoming feature film, Chronicle, is about a group of brahs who develop three of the same superpowers after encountering a "mysterious substance in the woods." Watch the trailer here to compare-and-contrast.) Last November, The Guardian called Misfits' second season “preposterous...scary...still funny, and jarringly shocking. It rolls around joyously in its own filth. All that and great music, too. One can only imagine how bad the inevitable American version will be.” Soon, one won’t need to; one is about to find out!

Watch the pilot episode and tell us what you think.

No, This is a bad idea, Misfits being a British only show is great. I love British shows and when things are converted to American, they suck balls. I love our American TV series, when they are originally made here for us, but when things get converted, they just fail. Look at The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo; The main star in the movie is Elizabeth (probably spelled different) but the original movie is great, the actress is not only good looking, but she is a great actress and really makes the film seem real. The other main character is (if I could remember his name) pretty good, not a great looking fella but more like an average joe, and his acting talents work good in the film. Now convert it, the actress is less than good looking and they put a huge actor in the film with great looks and just overly popularized. It's not the story, it is not the same, we butcher shows that are great. Look at most of our shows anyway, last year and in 2010, there were at least 20 or more shows on major networks that got canceled mid-first season. I for one think this one is a bad idea and they need to leave it be.
I THINK THIS BE COOL TO SEE A US VERISON OF THIS SHOW AND I HAVE SOME GREAT ACTORS AND ACTRESSES THAT CAN PLAY THE CHARACTERS SHENELL EDMONDS MACKENZIE ROSMAN EDDIE ELDERSON TAHJ MOWRY TAYLOR MOMSEN DREW GARRETT MARTIN SPANJERS AND CARIBA HEINE WHAT U THINK OF THESE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES BEING CAST FOR US VERISON OF THIS SHOW I THINK IT BE COOL TO SEE THESE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES ON TV AGAIN

Actually in reference to the show The Office, the US version is the remake of the British version not vice versa. And I see no resemblance of Misfits to that horrendous Heroes!
After reading al ot of the comments on this page I have to say. Sorry but "Misfits" (2009) copied "Heroes" (2006) although "Misifts" is a good show, and the British messed up "The Hills" (2006) which was an extension of "Laguna Beach" (2004) with an entertaining but even more bimbo version called "The only way is Essex" . The first reality TV show as "An American Family," a 12-episode documentary that aired on PBS in 1973. So you can't go there With Americans copying shows. America created the first real reality T.V . Also Just like whoever made "Misfits" America is more about advancement. Taking something and making it better than it was, ever evolving. Again it's great to see different cultural shows. Not to be offensive towards you who are British because the "Misfits" is one of the 1st shows who holds an American following, but because most of your stuff is down right boring and to old school for Americans.
Are we really going to make a remake of a remake? when does it end? It's already a great remake of the American show "Heroe's" with comedic twist. I like the British characters, I like the accent. I think it's not only great just how it is but refreshing to see a show made by another culture. It's already well directed, edited and filmed. It's already a hit with Americans on Hulu.com I think it will be a hit just how it is on any network. I can't say it's a better remake, "Heroes" was it's own dramatic animal, but it's a more Culturally diverse version of the same idea with an on going twist which also at times has a sarcastic sense of humor. There is obviously no competition between the shows now. The show "Heroes' is over so why not just air the British show as it is, Obviously there is already an American fan base with the show as it is right now! Why fix something that's not broken? I think it's to late anyways, it's built enough of an American fan base and people are attached to the characters. It would be better off for a network to purchase the show as it is rather than spend millions of dollars to remake it again. I liked "Heroes" I like the new version and different version of it called "Misfits" let it go as it is on American networks. Americans will have to get past the different lingo at first but once the understand the way the British talk they will like it.
HELL no. The only uk show remake that was good is the office. Not to mention this guys shows suck ass, Gossip Girl? Chuck? they're horrible. Skins was a piece of shit mainly because it aired on MTV and basically anything on MTV nowadays is tailored to 16 year old girls and douchebag jocks. The only way a US remake of misfits could work is if they replaced the writer and they pitched it to tv networks like HBO, Show Time, or maybe AMC. Other than that it would be great if they didn't do a remake at all.
This will never work british shows aimed at teens will never translate well in american culture. Unless they removed a lot of profanity and sex the PTC will never allow this to be shown. Also Misfits is an awesome show don't touch just leave it alone.
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Gossip Girl, an Chuck both are terrible, and Misfits is tooo freaking good to have that slimy little fucker ruin it!! Why do we have to take an amazing show and just fuck it up the ass like they did with Skins. No, just fucking NO!!! I'm American, and even I say this is a terrible idea, freaks over here barley, ever come up with ANYTHING original. Barley ever..... and for this possible idea form this dick, and for every other show that has been remade from the UK, I should be speaking for the Us when I say, I am so so so so so so so SORRY, seriously, I truly apologies for our creators lack of creativity, and having to take amazing shows and just dumb them down to pretty blondes and too buff guys. Again, I truly apologies for that. I'm almost ashamed to be American.....
WE SHOULD NOT DO THIS! Misfits is great but we cannot adapt this. America has tried to take British shows and re-do them like 1,000 times and only succeeded 3 times. Please don't ruin this one.
Misfits is a great show. Sorry America, but you will probably screw this this up. Saying that your take on Shameless was good (although you basically copied ours) also, Free Agents was pretty good (although you basically copied ours... and it's been cancelled). I've not watched your version of Being Human yet, but apparently it's OK (it won't be as good as ours though).
No, we will screw it up. US Creators are a bunch of morons.... Only US remakes that are good is Shameless...
No I love my home country's shows but no America would just cast a bunch of pretty people to play the characters and 9 times out of 10 that makes the show look really unrealistic.
I think he should just write another show about rich kids being nasty to each other while wearing nice clothes from Prada. It;s what he does best. If they MUST remake the show for the Americans why not get the British writers to do it. American writers seem to be botching everything these days.
Don't watch Skins and disliked Heroes. This show Misfits is great though. I almost wrote off the show based on the Pilot alone. Keep watching, you will love it.
Hell NO!!! They are going to mess it up. Don't we as Americans have any original ideas left. OMG....Stay away from my Misfits
We did. It was called Heroes. Then someone took our idea and altered it. It was called Misfits. Now we look at that and see how to grow from that. Its called evolution. When you try and make a better show its always for the good. If it doesnt work it doesnt work. However I wouldnt mind seeing it. However I would have chose the James Cameron or the creator of Heroes to go after this idea
Totally agree.
I wish they would just stop making these american remakes, they're never as real, human and GOOD as the original versions. As soon as the US does a show about teens they use top models (as if the average teenager really look that way!?), at least British shows brings some reality to their characters, even sci-fi shows are more believeble than the US-shows because the characters are so human. I honestly don't believe an american version of Misfits will even come close to beeing as good as the original.
Thank you I thought I was the only person that thought that about the casting of American shows
sorry to say it, but i hope an American remake gets an early cancellation. Like, pre-production early.
No way a US version is going to be able to capture the raw and rude spirit of the UK Misfits. American network TV is waayyy too watered down. On top of that, network TV demands 22 episodes a season, for profitable reason, which only adds strains on the creative development of a series, which leads it to suffer. The only way I can see it working is if it was on Showtime or Starz or something. Whats worse about this US remake is that they're going to use actors who can't act and dont suit the character profile. They'll probably be models "trying" to act. So thumbs down. It wouldnt be fair to the diverse, exotic, hardworking actors of the original Misfits who brough it to international fame, for a US version to come along, that probably has more money, and tr to steal its shine and bank off their success.
I love Misfits and I enjoy watching Josh Schwartz's shows but I really don't think this is a good idea. There's no way the US version is going to be better than the original, so why even bother?
Misfits is really the polar opposite of Heroes. It's the story from the villians point of view, although they don't like to think of themselves as villians. If there's anything wrong with the British version is that they get too caught up in the sex and offensive behavior and don't concentrate enough on story.

MISFITS. a person not suited in behaviour or attitude to a particular social environment. like i said thats why it is called misfits probation is for the criminals obviously....look it up
that is the whole point thats why it is called misfits because they are in probation that meens they are bad OMG some people are such dullards
But isn't that the point? I like that about the show, the weirdest stuff keep happening to them but all they can really focus on is sex and doing stupid things.
There's no way in hell that Misfits is making it onto US television unscathed. The language will go, the sex will go, the drugs will go and by the end it won't even be Misfits anymore. Also, we don't even know if OUR version will survive without Nathan, let's see how it plays out before doing another version without Nathan.
There's no reason Nathan wouldn't be a character in the US version. Just because the actor left the UK show doesn't mean they will leave the character out of the American remake.
why dont they try finding an ORIGINAL IDEA? really wish they'd stop ripping off british ideas and making them "better", since most shows remade from others are crap, "the killing" for example. about the only succesful show has been "the office" which is only cos they shoved millions into every episode for big name actors?
Original huh? and don't get me wrong I am an American who loves misfits and I don't really think a remake would turn out well. But you have to admit that Misfits DID copy/ripoff Heroes with the whole superhoodie storyline and there many times in the second season the music sounds almost exactly like heroes music. Starting with Curtis standing on the ledge in his flashforward like Peter Petrelli, and actually the superhoodie reveal. Go back and watch any Heroes episode than those parts in Misfits and you will see what I mean. And also for the record just because we Americans have remade many of your shows that turned out crappy does not in take away the quality of the British originals in any way. You still have the shows they aren't going anywhere. And what is wrong with maybe feeling proud that we find your shows to be so fantastic that we attempt to remake them. Plus the fact that we have to buy the rights from your producers to remake them so they are obviously cool with it, we aren't just making the shows here without them knowing it.
really, the only thing the Misfits, and Heroes have in common are superpowers, really, besides that, they are nothing alike honestly...
I think I would actually really like an American version. Though I enjoy the show, I really do not care for the excessive foul language, sexual references, and sex. All of that detracts from my enjoyment of the show, and to me it comes across as filler for a lack of better screenwriting/plot/humor/creativity. I really enjoy some British humor (I'm a huge fan of Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, as well as Dr. Who), but for some shows I just find it repulsive and crass. An American remake would almost certainly clean it up and for that I would be grateful. (Not to mention it would probably have a higher budget, which means better special effects and action.)

As for American remakes in general, I think the American Being Human is way better than the British one (which I watched first and liked). I have many friends who love the American version of The Office, but can't stand the British version (I don't like either). I also thought Torchwood: Miracle Day was quite good, though I couldn't stand the new characters with the exception of Esther and Vera.

If Josh Schwartz does make an American version I'll probably watch it (I'll probably keep watching the British version since the story is bound to be somewhat different). Hopefully it will be good or at least decent. If not, it's not like people are being forced to watch it, so no harm done and it will just go the way of other failed remakes: fade into obscurity.
I think american remakes are more "glamorous" but sometimes thats not a good thing, its the raw atmosphere of these type of shows that make them so great imo.

The only remake that I like is The Office and that had to do with the actors but Torchwood and Being Human were horrible and couldnt watch more than a few eps...
Torchwood was not a remake, it was still done by Russel T. Davies and it was just filmed and broadcast in America for the first time, so don't blame that on us
I know, but still it had an american vibe (I dont know what else to call it) that ruined the campiness of the show, imo.
As a person who always finds the British versions (invariably charming and witty) less action packed than the American versions (which I LOVE) better, I have to say, Misfits as a British series will always be better. There is NOTHING wrong with Misfits as it is now. Just buy it, America, and stop trying to remake something amazing. As a side note, I CANNOT understand the blond until the fifth episode, so just voice over. Comeon now....
I download the eps and had to start downloading english subs just to understand Kelly LOL but english is not my first language so I have an excuse ;P
haha I had the same problem!
misfits is awesome! why the frack would they want to ruin it? create your own!
Our own was Heroes. And we failed. Miserably.
The only thing Heroes and Misfits have in common are superpowers. They shouldn't be compared.
I am starting to believe that people from the USA are not as intelligent as they think they are...
most aren't.
The same can be said for every country. Stupidity isn't exclusive to the US. If it was, the Brits never would have remade That 70's Show.
What... the... f*ck? Can't US producers try to, I don't know, DO THEIR JOB and actually create original new shows without stealing ideas somewhere else? I mean, the UK seems quite able to do just that, so what's the issues in America? F*ck it, I'm not gonna watch this sh*t - let's put it this way: can you name me ONE actor, ANY actor who could possible play Nathan? If they can get Sheehan to play the role in the US, fine; if not, they can all go to hell.
I know an actor who could Play Mr. Young! his name is No One!
I've got just one thing to say: Law & Order: UK.
And that's quite literally the only thing you could have said.
That 70's Show
No, this is not a very good idea! Leave it alone! The language of the show can be a bit hard to understand but if a swede can enjoy it without subs, why oh why couldn't an american do it? Try something new, pick up some new words, it's very much worth it!
Please dont judge Misfits on its pilot! I ADORE the show but the pilot is definitely pretty ridiculous and not the best representation of what potential the show really reaches. I definitely don't think there should be a US version though, you really can't get away with what they can in the UK and without that UK humour, you wouldn't have a show.
Is self-cloning the power of the new guy who replaced Nathan?

Anyways, the American version will suck because some things are just done better by Brits.

If it's to air on a major network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) they need to cut down on the nudity, language, and violence which takes most of the humour out. The only hope would be for it to air on premium cable (HBO, Showtime), and even then it probably wouldn't translate well.

Plus, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Robert Sheehan.
I really wonder if the show can survive without Robert!? The others are great but....He is the best!
That's the thing about season 3. Can it hold it's own? I think, No.... But best - o - luck to Robert!
self cloning? there was no self cloning.... the original fifth ability was the ability to turn others on just by touching them!!! although it may not be as useful it was really key to the story line!!!
Make Josh Schwartz stop. He starts a good show and then leaves for something else only to have the show go down hill.
There was already a US version, it was called Misfits of Science...well sort of. :)
Its a great show that I fear theyll ruin... the dialogues are good, they swear and say inappropriate stuff and its ok. The american version will be censored as hell cause I doubt it will air on HBO. Imagine how Nathan will be in the remake?!

They made a mess of Being Human, this will be no exception...
Misfits is a great show! I hope they don't ruin it with an american version. It could be ok, but the only way i'll watch it is if it's on showtime or hbo.
Agreed.
Agreed. This show should be on a premium channel to do it any justice. Putting it on a censored national network would be the death of it.
NOOOO NO NO NO! the accents are understandable, i dont see why people are complaining, its not like they're speaking in a whole different language. Mtv destroyed Skins..now were trying Misfits? what the heck man :[
Well the US remade The Office, and that was good. The US remade Being Human and that was good too. It is always hard to tell what something will be like when you compare it to something else, more actions scenes and less mindless sex scenes (yes, sex scene are more mindless than action scenes, sorry) along with a good cast... I could see this working. Probably won't be of the same flavor as the UK version, but I'll watch it (along with Season 3 of the original).
This idiot spoiled the big mystery of the first season for those who want to check this out.

Anyway, I'm back and forth on a remake.

- Despite the powers, Misfits is very unique in tone and visual style. They often like to take the time to just soak in a moment or idea. U.S. tv isn't wired that way.

+ But Misfits can tend to meander sometimes, and an American remake may be better paced and focused.

- The characters feel like real young people. (One of them is even teased for having a big fanny :) The American remake will surely cast bland pretty kids.

+ But it is hard to understand the accents a lot of the time, and a few of the group don't have as much to do. The new show could highlight the ensemble more, instead of just the Nathan character.

- The show is VULGAR. They hold no punches with language violence and especially sexuality. It would be weaker if toned down and Josh Schwartz is NOT the man for this.

+ But imagine if this remake were on HBO or Showtime. It's a trashy pleasure that could have True Blood-esque appeal.

At first I was thinking I wouldnt watch Misfits, thought it was a show made for our ever increasing uneducated population of chavs. But I watched the first episode and got hooked, it's a pretty decent show.

But I agree, yet another british show being remade by an american channel. We know most of them end up being terrible, so why do so many still try? Is it becuase there is no more originality left in Hollywood? Or are they too afraid to sign up the few who do come up with good ideas because they may have to risk it being a flop? Just look at the Charlies Angels remake, a classic which most were expecting to be respected and done properly, completely butchers and axed immediately!

Maybe Britain is the new Hollywood, perhaps the writers should send in their ideas here and see how many get a response...
You are absolutely right!. And what about Prime suspect???? the only thing in common with the original is the title!!!
It's what we are allllll thinking!
Is there anything you Yanks won't steal? First it's your country... and now this? :P ... Seriously though, it's getting silly at this point.
Misfits is so good that I am really hesitant about a US version ruining it. One of the best parts about the UK version is the overuse of foul language, drugs, and nudity (plus the badass accents). I can't see anything good coming out of this.
I don't really think Misfits should be remade, but seeing as it's inevitable, Josh Shwartz isn't a bad choice, seeing as he's already shown he can make acceptable dramedy, as well as seemingly trying to show a lot of integrity with this project, developing it with the original creator of Misfits, and writing the pilot without any sort of network meddling, making it plausible for it to actually be decent. Probably wont be though, seeing as it'll probably go to The CW, NBC, or MTV if no better choices comes up. And any of those networks would without a doubt mess it up no matter how good the original plans for the remake would be.
Noooo! Please do not ruin Misfits by making a lame US remake! Tell Josh Schwartz to look at Alphas, Heroes, The Cape, and No Ordinary Family....there are already more than enough super hero shows on TV!
To be fair, only one of those is still on TV. Thanks to Smallville, it's been a while since there was only one superhero show on american TV. So there's certainly room for one more, just probably not this one. Also, they aren't actually "hero[es]", which is kind of the point.
I thought about that just after I posted the message. All of those shows except Alphas were all canceled due to lack of viewership. I don't know what makes them think that Misfits would be any different, especially because they would have to remove all of the good bits for the American TV audience.
I watched all those shows. I'm not inside the network execs' heads, but if I were the one canceling those shows it would have been for these reasons:

Smallville - clark was pushing 30 without becoming superman

Heroes - significant decline in quality, too expensive

The Cape - just plain terrible

No Ordinary Family - also terrible (though not as terrible)

After all, Heroes had several times as many viewers when it was cancelled than Alphas did when it was renewed.

there's more than enough cop, doctor, and law shows too but that doesn't stop anybody
this is true.
Isn't that the truth! :D
i so agree
Oh please, not yet another American remake! Remember the mess they made of Life on Mars?

jack756, do you really think that a L.A. gangland accent will be easier to understand?
no i dont think a gangland show will be easier to understand but at least i will have some clue to what theyre talking about.with british tv the used very differnt words then what americans used.so the point im making is proper english is the best way to go.even if it was some kind of show and they were using slang words i wouldnt understand it b/c its not english but i would have a clue to as what theyre talking about b/c theyre american im american.............far as british tv if they are using proper english or slang enlgish its still gone be hard to understand b/c they used different words than americans and they say the words different which can throw a american off.i mean i speak brazilian portuguese but i cant understand a word of portuguese spoken in portugal b/c they used different words and say stuff differently.
really? dude, I'm american and I can understand them just fine, and able to know what they are talking about.
actually we brits don't make tv for you, we make it for us, and we can understand each other just fine, thank you very much. jack756 needs to stick to watching redneck tv and leave the rest for the grownups.
actually im black not a redneck so i dont know where u got the impression i was a redneck and studies show brits can understand americans very well but when it comes to americans understanding brits its a little more diffcult.im just saying british tv is very hard to understand b/c the accents can be so strong and i hate that.im not saying yall dont have good tv im saying it hard for me to watch british tv if i dont know whats happening in it.
*Sigh* "proper english"? Let's see Britain contains a country called England, it's language, English. see how they both start with Engl, that's normally a clue as to where the language originates; kindda like how Japanese originates in Japan.

Sorry but we brits like to point it out, we speak perfect English, most of the time; unfortunately as usual America likes to take things and claim it as their own, and have ruined the language such that americans cannot understand proper english any more.

Accents are tricky, but different regions of the USA have different accents yet we can still understand them.

Also Angela yet we make shows for us, but americans make shows for themselves as well. For instance the remake of Battlestar, Sci-Fi decided not to do a series after showing the mini-series. But it did well in the UK so Sky helped fund it.

Heroes season 1 was great on both sides, but US execs and audience wanted more action, it was still a hit in the US but in the UK, with the plot gone some were put off season 2, and it got worse season on season.

tbh it seems US execs dont know a good show when they see one, so many good shows have been cancelled whislt so many bad shows have continued.
More +
Can I just say, perfectly put. I have a hard time understanding some accents, but I would prefer to watch the British/England version most of the time. The producers tend not to get caught up in the ratings, and stay true to the story. I love Misfits, and I think an American version will flop. Fast.
Dude you said "proper english," Jack756 did not. Everyone has an accent to one's point of view, so why turn this into a hate-fest?
I'm Canadian and I struggle to understand half the accents below the bible-belt. Really thick accents from any country are hard to understand. I think it is more that the Brits are just better at understanding (and imitating) accents. American accents are no easier to understand, your ears are just more accustomed to it.
this is why i hate british tv.i cant undersand anythign they say.its so wired.i can get words here and there but their accents be so strong i cant understand nothing.torchwood was the same way if it wasnt for jack being a american i would hate that show.same thing for buffy i never could really understand giles.i dont like this misfits.their accents is so strong maybe just maybe if it was made for american tv i would check it out.
hey bud the language you speak is english not american so open your ears a little maybe you will be able to understand english spoken by english people.

the original british series is always better than the american remake even though the office was good it was only because of steve carell now that hes left its kind of boring
He's got a dual accent, he's also Scottish, I bet you wouldnt understand him if he used that accent :P
Misfits is brilliant, but I can't think of anyone in american tv that could do it justice. I like Chuck, but no.
Why not just air the British version episodes here instead of dumbing it down for us Americans.I prefer the british skins,misfits and Inbetweeners than the US remakes
I prefre the UK version period
You prefer the UK version to a US version that doesn't exist yet? Hmmmm....
Ugh please no. I like some of Schwartz's shows but there is no way Misfits will translate to American tv. Its good enough on its own. Instead a network should just get the rights to it and broadcast it here as is
"mind-reading, invisibility, turning back time, immortality, and self-cloning".

Self-cloning? Don`t remember that one? Is this a spoiler of the new guy, who will substitute Nathan? :-)
Also, kinda spoiled the first season mystery.
TV.com is so bad for spoilers with no warnings.
I think he is refering to Lucy from Season 2 Ep 1, Simons friend from the Institution. I guess self-cloning is an easier power to explain than Alisha's sexual power . . .
I think Lucy was a shape shifter... if I am remembering correctly.
Load More Comments