Is The Killing Moving Too Slow, or Just Fast Enough?

I’m not sure I really got a sense of The Killing’s glacial pace until Sunday night’s episode, in which Rosie was finally laid to rest. We’ve been watching this series for weeks, and we’re just now getting to her funeral. I haven’t minded the slow unraveling of the mystery up to this point—and I’m not sure I mind now—but there was something a bit overly drawn-out about the episode. I know The Killing is on track to a cathartic conclusion, so why am I suddenly getting a little antsy?

Part of the problem is that Linden and Holder are clearly focusing on the wrong suspect, and that’s frustrating to anyone who has watched a police procedural before. Granted, The Killing is an entirely different genre, but come on, you don’t really think Bennett Ahmed did it, do you? Even his wife is a long-shot at this point, since they’ve already given her a motive and means to do it. I agree that they both appear to be likely candidates—particularly the wife—but it’s too soon and too easy for things to be that simple.

Then there’s the fact that all of this feels a bit too familiar, and I’m not referring to the original Danish series. (Which I haven’t watched, because, duh, I don’t want to know how AMC’s version ends.) But, um, Mystic River, anyone? Spoiler alert if you haven’t seen it, but the father of the murdered girl taking the law into his own hands and going after the man he thinks killed his daughter. I don’t think Stan is going to go through with it and kill Bennett, but it’s still pretty damn similar to Mystic River’s climax. And let’s not forget Jimmy had the wrong guy, too. (I warned you about spoilers!)

I’m picking on The Killing, but it’s still one of the best series on TV right now. There was a lot to enjoy about Sunday’s episode, most of which had nothing to do with the murder investigation itself. And I’m fine with that—as I’ve said before, resolutions to season-long mysteries are very often disappointments, so I’m glad we have compelling characters and side stories to focus on, too.

For once, I was interested in the Richmond scenes, which are usually the low points for me. In previous episodes, the political aspects of The Killing haven’t meshed with the rest of the story, but I loved the way everything came together this week. Richmond was advised to distance himself from Bennett, whom he's standing next to in a photo used in his new campaign ad, because of the teacher’s possible involvement in Rosie’s murder. I admired Richmond’s insistence that people are innocent until proven guilty, and that it was wrong and unnecessary to push Bennett away. But I also appreciated the other side of the equation, the way voters might react to the associations between Richmond’s campaign and the murder, and how the current mayor would use this information against his opponent.

And what’s the deal with Terry? She came home from Rosie’s wake, lit up a joint, put on a record, and started crying. Sure, this could just be grief over her niece’s death, but it seemed like more than that to me. What is she hiding? And what about that significant glance she exchanged with a mourner and his wife at the wake?

Larger questions aside, there are still great moments of symbolism: Rosie’s brother squishing the worm crawling over his sister’s grave, Linden getting the door closed on her at the wake. I’ll concede that this week’s episode never entirely came together for me, if only because I feel like I’m being strung along more than I need to be. But The Killing remains great television, and I’m in it for the long haul. I can always choose to focus on the details that interest me instead. Thankfully, there are plenty.

I like it, but I also noticed how slow it is during this episode. I'll still watch it. It's not that surprising it is slow considering the show is revolving around one murder (so far).
yeah I've been feeling Mystic River parallels for a while here, except the characters were more interesting. I also get reminded a bit of Twin Peaks, especially with the way the same photograph of the girl is used over and over (like with Laura Palmer) and the consuming grief of the parents.
Terry was blown off by the father of Rosie's former boyfriend, that dick of a kid. i guess they used to have a thing or something, and she got extremely depressed when he didn't even acknowledge her. oh well.
the killing is really awesome, but i think most people by now is used to being feed answers quickly because of shows like Law and Order, CSI, NCIS, Bones, etc (theyre so many cop shows the list is longer than my.. arm) I guess by now some people dont like the mistery, the discovery, the thinking, the tension and the conspiracy it takes to make a truly great cop show... Spoon feed anyone??

few years ago i was static coz i read here abc was making a cop show about a mistery writer that cooperates with the police coz someone was killing exaclty like the books he wrote.. that was all solved in episode 1 of Castle, the last one i saw... So.... THANKS AMC!!! REALLY THANKS!!!!
The pacing is perfect for me. The episode equaling a day in the investigation lets things really sink in, and shows how long some of this stuff actually takes to develop. I guess some people are just far too used to getting things fed to them at a much more rapid pace. This show is about the atmosphere, tension, and emotion that ripples through the different characters and the city itself. Quite a refreshing change of pace from the way genre has been played the past few years.
you know who I think is creepy is that dude that works with Stan. his brother-in-law? what was up with taking the kid's pajamas out of the trash? and he knows the janitor at the school? and why was Stan's sister-in-law crying at the end? plus let's not forget that Richmond didn't have a solid alibi. wow, so many loose ends. this is going to be like twin peaks.
I'm barely sticking with it. It's basically a long LAO episode. And that's not a compliment.
I adore the pace because I know each twist is going to worth it. Its really fantastic i can't wait each week.
it's getting better all the time. well worth watching.
@jgrant794 I think in the scene you are referring to Linden was talking about Bennett being a serial killer since the episode before the examiner said it looked liked someone who had done this before. Bennett is a teacher at the school and I doubt he would mistake Rosie for a working girl.
I am really enjoying the show and I think the pacing is fine. The reason the funeral just now happened is because each episode covers 1 day it has only been 6 days since the murder. Also I wouldn't count out Bennett as being the killer (maybe just wishful thinking since he was the first one I suspected). But the rest of the season could be gathering the evidence and finding out who is accomplice was the neighbor said he saw a woman with Bennett it could have been someone other than his wife the aunt maybe?
oops meant scene.
You must have missed the one seen, that was less than ten seconds, that shows the lead detective is not focusing on the wrong suspect. She talks to her boss about a bunch of missing "working girls"that are younger like Rosie. He says " you don't think it's a serial job do you." We, yes in fact I do think it is a serial job from what I have seen. Rosie, $2000 shoes, and maybe a serial killer that mistook her for a working girl. The devil is in the details watching that show.
it's moving just a little too slow, but it picked up a tiny bit at the end
Yeah, so The Killing isn't just one extra flavour of CSI? So what? That's kind of the point. Haven't watched CSI, NCIS or similar shows (which seem to multiply like rabbits) in ages. Kind of got bored with them. I've been searching for something different instead, and now I've found it: The Killing.
The one episode = one day pace is still working for me. Some days are going to be more eventful than others but we're getting the necessary puzzle pieces and they're staying true to the characters so I'm still loving it. The cliffhanger for this one was a smart move... next week it looks like we'll be getting into some intense Stan/Bennett scenes early on so that should help with pacing. And I think now that Rosie's finally been buried there's going to be slightly less focus on the mourning/grieving scenes.
Whenever I think of the show and its episodes from afar, I think it's going too slow. We're over a month in to the show, and it seems like nothing has actually developed over that time. 6 episodes in, and finally the police have its first serious suspect, and it's only now that a funeral is held for Rosie. But then I remember actually watching each episode, and notice that I'd never really been bored or annoyed at its slow pacing. Yes, it's slow, but that's part of what makes the show different from the rest and what makes it quite intriguing. The pacing of the show fits the mood, characters, and scenery: sad, depressing, gloomy, somber. Dark or dull colors, rainy and cloudy, no happiness in any of the characters, and of course, the show is all about the murder of a young girl. If the pacing were faster, the show might suck a bit more.
Please, PLEASE stop wishing "The Killing" would move faster. That's what killed "Twin Peaks." Linden and Holder are following up leads. It's more realistic that suspects appear and are eventually exonerated than that they immediately lock in on the killer. This is the way real detective work goes. We're only 6 days past the murder. When you think of it in those terms, the slow pace makes sense. I wish everyone would just enjoy the ride. If it's too slow for you, move on to something quicker and tidier, like "CSI."
I agree it's a familiar police procedural type.
The mourner at the wake is Jasper's dad, isn't it? Terry obviously likes him, affair from the past?
what a great show, best new show with" game of thrones",and i think that the show is moving just enough
I don't find it too slow. I like the pacing the way it is.
I've never had a problem with the show's pacing. It's the horribly cliched writing that bothers me.