Is The X-Files Coming Back? We Have An Update!

When we last left Mulder and Scully in Fox's The X-Files rebootan alien ship was hovering over them in Washington D.C. as Mulder was dying from an alien virus—naturally leaving us wondering what happens next. Can we expect to find out in a new season?

In a new interview, Deadline asked the actors about continuing the show. "I'm open to the conversation, though [20th Century Fox Television hasn't] come to us yet," Anderson said. "I have no clue when they're going to. I'm getting on with the rest of my life and I'm booking other jobs, so if it is indeed something that they would like to continue, then that conversation will need to be had. And I have no idea when that will be able to take place at this juncture."

The X-Files.

On having the desire to want to do more X-Files, Duchovny said, "I don't know... I'm pausing, and I don't know why I'm pausing. I would say, I guess what we found with this season was that it's possible to still get it. It doesn't not work. And then the question becomes, if we were going to move on, how do we make it work even better? That's a question we'd want to ask. This one was, 'Phew, we can do it. I guess it did work.' But now it's like, now what? How do we make this interesting again for all of us?"

While Anderson and Duchovny may be currently in the dark about the future, there's no doubt that there's a big appetite for more. The series returned to an impressive 16 million viewers back in January, and though it eventually dropped to a still respectable 7 million viewers, the show was one of Fox's highest-rated dramas of the season.

Do you want to see more of The X-Files?

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Dec 29, 2017
I very much enjoyed the X-FILES and hope to see new seasons again! The ending episode left me wondering if Mulder would survive a alien virus, and wonder if a romance would continue between Mulder and Scully....we shall see hopefully.
Dec 29, 2017
Also be sure to bring back the same actors with Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny. No one else would do!
Jun 20, 2016
I loved the X-Files, especially the first couple of seasons. Really one of the best shows on TV of all time. Of course as it went on its 200+ episode run it had some stinkers and it did have some problems keeping the standards up, but from start to finish it was still an excellent show.
The Reboot..Meh. Couple good ones, couple so-so, couple piles of crap. That spoof ep. with the lizard guy whatever he was was one of the worst of the series and to pull that in a 6 episode run gives me cause for concern. I expect they'll be back with something given the cliff hanger ending, but really I'd like to see them do a limited episode run and tie things up and call it a day. Don't soil the series like Dexter did please!
Jun 20, 2016
If you're on the fence about another season, then don't end it on a cliffhanger.
YES! MORE!!!!
Jun 19, 2016
Just finish the damn thing and give everybody their happy endings! (Well, not CSM).
Jun 19, 2016
Just like Hotel California. You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave the X-files. I watched Dexter to the bitter end and the last couple of seasons were excruciatingly bad. And don't get me started on the ending.

Some shows you just can't quit. X-files is one of those show. No matter how bad it will get. You will watch it anyway.

The writing was uneven. Some episodes were good, some were meh and others were just plain bad. But the chemistry and the banter between the leads is still there. The interaction between Scully's and Mulder's interactions were the heart of the show. That's not going to change. and we got this:

I rest my case.

Cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese. you got the point.
Jun 20, 2016
Oh God, you reminded me of the Dexter debacle...Yeah do like that Scully clip!
Jun 19, 2016
I definitely want more WELL WRITTEN X-Files, which precludes the rushed piece of crap that was the last episode of the comeback...
Jun 20, 2016
God tell me about it. I mean they could have retooled the episode before it to make it more of a natural lead in to the last ep.
Jun 20, 2016
Well, there is about a million things they could have done differently, BUT in their defence I think the end just sort of caught them off-guard. I remember hearing the producers actually didn't know how to end the mini-season, and probably didn't have the time to edit the damn thing properly. Come to think of it, that shouldn't be in their defence.
Jun 19, 2016
For the Apocalypse to see the world destroyed by the aliens Mulder and Scully worked so hard to investigate would be a treat indeed.
The Apocalypse approves of an 11th season.
Uma
Jun 18, 2016
I'm surprised it isn't already in the works. I don't know why Duchovony is "pausing", it's definitely more interesting than the stuff he has been doing recently, Scorpion or whatever.
Uma
Jun 18, 2016
*Aquarius, should have googled it
Jun 20, 2016
I got three eps into the first season and did not enjoy it. That said different strokes for different folks.
Jun 18, 2016
I want more X-files with Anderson and Duchovny. Also maybe those two younger FBI agents.
Jun 18, 2016
So the update is there is no update.
Jun 18, 2016
I hope not. That return was enough tbh!
Jun 18, 2016
It was good to see them back, but for a mini series, it would have been nice to follow one story. A few of those episodes sucked.
Yes, I could say I liked 1 and 3/4... :-P
Jun 18, 2016
I want and I need more X Files, with Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny of course!!!
Jun 18, 2016
The X-Files is my all time #1 so I would watch it no matter what they serve up.
Jun 18, 2016
Followed the original X-Files from the first episode to the last.
This reboot was disappointing. Only the first and last episode were of any interest and the cliffhanger was the clincher. I won't be watching if it returns. There are much better shows to spend watching. The X-Files reboot was just a tease.
I'd love more X-Files!

There are only a few shows that create its own brand, X-Files is one of them -along with Lost, Gilmore Gilrs, Game of Thrones - they create a unique voice that has its own sound no matter how many times it tries to be recreated. It just doesn't work unless it's this one cast, this one story.
Jun 18, 2016
If they do they HAVE TO BE BETTER than the way more miss than hit six episodes this year. It was very disappointing and didn't really make me long for more.
Jun 18, 2016
Seriously?!? It was a mix of some good some bad episodes, but overall it was better than most network TV today. And by the way Chris Carter created the series and WROTE some of the best episodes back when the show was at it's best, so I don't see how you can say "Chris Carters just a terrible writer". It's hard to make a series like the X-files work as an event (6 Eps) series, it needs more episodes to breathe and allow things to develop. If they're going to do it they need to commit to at least a 16-20 episode season. It may never recapture the greatness of the early seasons but it is still something many viewers would love to see. The ratings tell the story.
No. It wasn't very good.
Jun 18, 2016
No thanks. I can't believe how they managed to mess up a SIX episodes run of the X-Files, but they did it! The one episode that wasn't completely awful (Weremonster) didn't really feel all that much like X-Files...
Jun 18, 2016
It was pretty bad unfortunately. Chris Carters just a terrible writer plain and simple. If he'd hand the writing duties over to someone else then sure - otherwise I think I've had enough...
Jun 18, 2016
It sucked. Let it rot in the ground.
Jun 18, 2016
I've begun rewatching the original series in the wake of these episodes, and it's clear none ( not even the hilarious "Weremonster" one ) compares to the show's highs ( I'd say seasons 2 to 4 and 6 ), and there were some glaring problems ( I'd say, for instance, the Smoking man was quite OOC : he's always been manipulative and ruthless, but never to the point of enjoying mankind's demise like a mustache-twirling villain ... I keep expecting he's revealed as a clone or shape-shifter ), but I'd welcome some new episodes anyway, for several reasons :
- Mulder/Scully banter is as enjoyable as ever, even in "meh" episodes ( Carter's scripts have their flaws, clearly, but he didn't lose touch with that, at least )
- you just can't end your show like THAT ! ( at least that dreadful "The Truth" had some sense of finality ... )
- I want Mulder and Scully to FINALLY reunite with their son ... that alone would make these new episodes worthwile
- I'm curious to see if they can justify their retcon that the aliens never were involved in the conspiracy when they clearly were in the original show ( what else could the Bounty Hunters be, really ? or Jeremiah Smith ? why would the Syndicate say they're working with/for aliens when they're among themselves, like in the first movie ? who were they bowing to in the "Two Fathers/One son" flashback, if not aliens ? ) ... I actually like the idea of aliens as a cover-up for human villainy, but they've really painted themselves in a corner ...

Jun 18, 2016
I found original that X Files adressed adoption through a whole new perspective, Mulder and Scully didn't oversimplify the conflict that meant giving up their son. They were well aware of what they had lost and the possibility he would villainized them for it.

Their fears, their hopes, the way they lived with the choice they made every day of their lives was interesting to me because television had never adressed it before.
Jun 18, 2016
Indeed. As someone who was a teenager during the show's golden age, I've got strong feelings about these two, so these scenes in "Founder's mutation" where they muse about what could have been hit hard. Great scenes in an otherwise not so great episode.
So I don't care if the very reasons that lead Scully to look for William now are contrived ( because, let's face it, they are ), I just want them to find the kid already !
I don't care that much about the end of the world ( they'll probably find some alien ex machina way to avert it, big deal ), but I think I'd actually watch a whole episode of Mulder and Scully reuniting with William and explaining who they are, why he was adopted, how they feel about it, catching up on what his life was like all these years ... although I'd probably need a lot of handkerchiefs.
Jun 18, 2016
It seemed to me they are conflicted with their choice mostly because Mulder and Scully are still a couple; not always together, perhaps no longer with a viable family project now they are back in the FBI but they are still a couple.

What TV has always taught us about biological parents is that they are too damaged, too young or ill-equipped to form a family, that they are often not together. That the adoptive child's idealized version of their parents will never live up to the cold reality.

In William's case, his father is an accomplished profiler still committed to his mother, he may have suffered depression but he's not ill-equipped and earns a decent outcome. His mother is a professional M.D. who's still very much involved with his father, they buried his grandmother together, they buried a half-sister - Emily - together.

Whatever reason they had to give up their son did not translate into a reason to give up on each other, it was a mature decision made by 2 adults that may have been better equipped than William's adoptive parents to deal with what makes him different. It's something no teenager could possibly understand at William's age.
More +
Jun 19, 2016
You're right about Mulder and Scully being the only ones who can deal with his situation. I mean, Scully wanted him to have a shot at a normal life, but was it really an option, whan he can move objects with his mind, and presumably read minds like Gibson Praise ? Without his parents' guidance, he's probably been spending years thinking he's a monster, or crazy. Hopefully he had support from the adoptive parents, but they're probably even more confused than he is. I guess he'll be kinda relieved to finally have an explanation for all the weird happenings around him ...
Jun 18, 2016
Enjoyed it so would welcome it back, a couple of episodes weren't great but I'd say it definitely worked for me.
Jun 18, 2016
Meh, its return wasn't that good. Maybe because of Chris Charter's scripts?
Jun 18, 2016
DEFINITELY because of Chris Carter's horrible writing...
Jun 19, 2016
Then, FOX needs to remove him before trying again!
Jun 18, 2016
I think most of the eps were better than most of the stuff on tv
Jun 18, 2016
Nope. The experiment totally failed. Let it be...
Jun 18, 2016
Yeah I was kind of shocked at how bad it was...
Jun 18, 2016
YES to more X FILES. Bigger YES if it's with the new young agents.
Jun 18, 2016
X-Files was kind of fun. The odd humor of Were-Monster, the old conspiracies of My Struggle, and the bizarro modern flavor in Epstein and Miller. Or in other words, they hit a few base hits but never scored any runs.

I'm guessing Fox also realizes this and knows they can't make a decent series of even 10 more by continuing many ideas from this first attempt.
Jun 18, 2016
I'd rather have this than Zoo or The Last Ship. As a limited (5-8 ep) event, it would be fun to have it come back again. I enjoyed this years episodes if only for the nostalgia factor.
Jun 18, 2016
To each their own but The Last Ship is far superior to the failed X-Files reboot.
And even Zoo is better. Sorry but love of the old X-Files did NOT carry over into this pathetic reboot.
Jun 18, 2016
If Chris Carter is still in charge and also writing the episodes? No.

Except for the Darin Morgan-penned "Weremonster" episode, this season was infuriatingly awful. I thought after coming back all these years after the disappointing last couple of seasons that it would be a return to great form, especially since it was only six episodes.

I'm hoping if it comes back, perhaps Vince Gilligan can take over. Perhaps allow other people to write the episodes. How many of the best writers working today in television and film were influenced by The X-Files? Give them a chance to write their own episodes. Really, there is no more need for a mythology to keep happening. I'd be happy to watch a short season like this every one to two years with Mulder and Scully (and not the other two they introduced).
Jun 18, 2016
I agree leave Chris Carter out of the mix..
Jun 18, 2016
I`d love to see more of all time favourite series X-Files. When it started up again this year it almost felt like I was back in the 90s with better graphics. I still watch the Mulder high on mushroom scene on youtube and laugh.
Jun 17, 2016
I think the show was somewhere between bad and okay upon it's return. I feel that the creative team involved forgot how to make this show work, the whole thing felt a little too much like it was making fun of itself and that's independent of the were-man episode.
Jun 17, 2016
upon reading this I realized that I never saw the finale. I got bored of it a few minutes in and watched something else and then completely forgot about it. like with the original run I feel like the over-arcing episodes are an absolute drag compared to the stand alone episodes.
Jun 17, 2016
on one hand, i'm glad David and Gillian a're not waiting around for FOX to give it the green light - the ratings were good enough and although the reviews were mixed to negative, it clearly still has fan interest (ME - suck it haters)

on the other hand - if FOX do green light it and David and Gillian are busy (or say no) then we are left with the possibility of it left on a cliffhanger or a new team (Miller and Einstein) - two very terrible options IMHO - 24 is already getting a terrible reboot, we don't want the incredible X-Files to go that way - and a cliffhanger ending will just not be good at all

So here's hoping they can strike a deal very very very soon

i need some closure Chris Carter - PLEASE
Jun 18, 2016
So.. let's see... my show, the awesomely hilarious, excellent Scream Queens is back for another season - while your show, the horribly written, woodenly acted, piece of crap - The X-Flies, IS NOT. Now what does that say about YOUR tastes there bud? Also, most people hated the return of X-Files - and while I grant you Scream Queens was love it or hate it - tons of us loved it. Same can not be said of The Lame Files... those are just - F A C T S.
Jun 19, 2016
Are you seriously comapring Scream Queens and X-Files? That's like comparing apples and chesnots. But grow on trees and that's all they have in common.

My guess is that X-Files haven't been renewed or decided not to renew because people behind them like to pump up the hype. With future "in the air" there is buzz, there is talk, there is activity, people may decide to rewatch old seasons etc. and they can see where winds are blowing, do people like it or not, what did they like etc. X-files are in special position where they can take breaks and people will still flock back when it airs again because original were so popular.

My guess is that in few months there will be announcement that show will return later, say 2018, because "schedule conflicts". Until then network will be pumping up the hype and keep interest alive

As for Scream Queens, it' was fun show that blew it in the end with idiotic, even for show, finale.
Under The Dome was renewed for 2 seasons and had 3 seasons overall

Helix had 2 seasons

TBBT is the biggest comedy on TV, Community had terrible ratings

Aquarius was renewed, Hannibal was cancelled

The Leftovers had a delayed renewal and is now a final season and Vinyl was renewed not long after the Premiere episode

Banshee was renewed for a final season with 2 episodes cut from the order and Outcast was renewed before it even premiered

Being renewed does not mean a show is good (Under The Dome is the epitome of that)

There are several factors on why XF has not been renewed - it beat SQ in the ratings by a country mile (SQ never even hit XF's lowest rated episode which ironically was the worst episode of the season 'Babylon')

I don't care what you say about this season of XF - SQ will NEVER be as good as that show - NEVER - Ryan Murphy cannot finish a season coherently to save his life (look at pretty much every season of AHS and that sham of an episode SQ calls a 'finale')

I'd take the wooden acting from David & Gillian over the overacting from Emma & Abigail (what the actual fuck happened to her acting btw? Oscar nominated to overacting the shit out of SQ, i blame the BAD writing)

M&SMTWM was funnier than the whole of season 1 of SQ combined - what does that say about a show that opted for comedy over horror?

XF is terribly convoluted - everyone knows that - but a simplistic story like a serial killer picking off Sorority Girls had one of the most idiotic, nonsensical, illogical finales i have ever seen (and i am an avid fan of PLL)

I expect XF to be renewed - but it all depends on the actors' schedules as usual - the SQ actors aren't in high demand like Gillian is - because she wipes the floor with all of them in the acting department

the best part about SQ was Jamie Lee Curtis and the fact that i love slasher flicks - but the fact that they opted to go with comedy (a term i use loosely) and the internet/celeb/social media craze - it failed to be interesting

Scream season 1 had many problems, but at least it made sense to stick with both horror and comedy - unlike that piece of shit

And you're wrong - a mixed response means some loved and some hated - a lot of people loved XF - because those people (including me) weren't expecting BrBa levels of writing - Vince Gilligan may have started on XF but the writing was never that great - it was the characters and stories that made it - and those two still existed

SQ was just the bad parts of AHS
More +
Jun 17, 2016
Well, Duchovy has Aquarius and Anderson will be in American Gods. Of course X-files can work around their schedules because for most fans these two are the X-files.
Let's hope it happens
or not... :P
Jun 18, 2016
Do you like your own comments? every comment i see of yours always has one like - it just seems a bit 'convenient'
Jun 18, 2016
yep - when a show sucks as bad as the x-files reboot - i want no more of it.. when it's as awesome as Scream Queens Season One - then you bet i want more - that's how being a fan of a show works dum-dum!
Jun 18, 2016
so no matter how you felt about the season, you'd be fine with it ending on a cliffhanger? but you're fine with Scream Queens coming? shows your taste :P
Jun 17, 2016
1 episode in this recent season was genius, and the other 5 were on the scale between "meh" and terrible. Stop tarnishing the brand's name, suffering through the last few seasons of the show and that second movie is enough.
Jun 17, 2016
In YOUR opinion

In MY opinion

1 was GENIUS and belongs in 'best of' lists

4 were good

1 was bad

But then again, we are talking about TV viewers/critics who think every Game Of Thrones episode is amazing so i am not surprised x-files was badly received
Jun 19, 2016
Well, you know what they say, opinions are like noses: everybody's got one (except for Voldemort of course).

So I do not see why you @kevbuffylost108 get all huffy...
Jun 18, 2016
I felt like I had lost part of my life watching those six episodes.
I was a fan of the original series but this reboot was terrible so I am not surprised that it was badly received. I am surprised that some people want it to come back... but different strokes for different folks.

Jun 18, 2016
It was better than the 9th season and IWTB so................

And it was hardly Under The Dome bad - clearly just overreacting and expected BrBa levels of writing
Jun 19, 2016
Under the Dome is setting a very low bar of quality... like invoking Terra Nova and other disasters.
Do agree that X-files staggered to the finish line in the final season but the reboot was no better.
JT_Kirk is right - 1 was good, 4 bad
Jun 19, 2016
"it says i have good taste and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about - which is true about 50% of the time when it comes to you"

this would make more sense if it wasn't coming from someone who enjoyed the recent seasons of AHS, Homeland and SQ - yeah, your tastes are very good like :/

Homeland and AHS are train wrecks right now and SQ was never good
Jun 18, 2016
it's called an opinion - you thought all 13 episodes of Screams Queens were good - again - what does that say about your taste :P
Jun 18, 2016
it says i have good taste and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about - which is true about 50% of the time when it comes to you.. ahem..
and 1 was just - meh
Jun 17, 2016
Returned files would bring in huge numbers, there was never doubt about it. The backlash and booing is result of sloppy writting and writers simply saying "It's X-files so we can have Mulder and Scully sit in their office drinking coffee and people wills till watch it". It felt as if there was no real attempt to write a good season and it just coasted on the hype.
I agree....
Jun 17, 2016
It would be better if they didn't bring it back. They purposely ended it on a cliffhanger to hold the audience hostage and try to force a renewal. The show stopped being good long ago. It's now all about some producer's greed.
Jun 17, 2016
Worse than greed, his ego.
Jun 17, 2016
Season 10 was a disaster. From gillian andersons darth vader voice to episodes like "meet the were-monster". Supposedly intended to be funny but apparently was written by a child.

And here i was recovering from the 8th and 9th season... they produce this awful mess. Destroyed my childhood memories of this series and leaving nothing but a bitter taste. If they can bring back good writers like vince gilligan and "quarantine" chris carter somewhere....i bring the pocorn back again.
Jun 18, 2016
Thank you. Thought I was the only one who hated the were-monster episode.
Jun 18, 2016
Gillian Anderson was in it? I thought they had replaced her with a lookalike!
Typical ageist comment
Jun 19, 2016
No, typical comment on facial surgery and the need for women to look like they're still in their 30s. Would have preferred an older-looking Scully like Mulder.
Jun 17, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Jun 19, 2016
Yes @kevbuffylost108 calling people names will certainly not win you a place in the debate team... quite the opposite.
Jun 18, 2016
no reason to call someone idiot just beacuse we disagree.