Isaiah still in trouble with bosses

The Grey's Anatomy slander scandal keeps on going.

When show actor Isaiah Washington told reporters backstage last Monday night at the Golden Globes that he "never called [costar T.R. Knight] a faggot," he reignited a fury that could now cost him his job. Washington made the Globes comment when he was asked about an incident that occurred on the Grey's set in October, in which he allegedly threw the same slur at Knight and physically assaulted costar Patrick Dempsey.

The week following the Globes saw Washington release a statement of apology and ABC release a statement saying the network has "a long-standing policy to create and maintain respectful workplaces" and wouldn't tolerate actions like Washington's.

Despite the public apologies, the actor's job may be in jeopardy. Although ratings for the show hadn't dipped last week, an executive at ABC parent Disney has acknowledged the company is mulling firing Washington. The anonymous executive said in Sunday's New York Times that Washington's behavior may run afoul of Disney's antidiscrimination policy.

In the meantime, Washington has fired his publicist and hired another who specializes in "crisis management." Washington is scheduled to meet with the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network--GLSEN--to assist in the organization's No Name Calling Week, which targets school kids.

"We are encouraged by the apparent sincerity of Isaiah Washington's apology and his recognition of the power of a word that, like so many others, has no place in our society," GLSEN head Kevin Jennings said in a statement. "We would like to thank Isaiah and ABC for reaching out to GLSEN in what hopefully will be an important step in the healing process for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender people, and all those who were offended by the remarks."

This week, Washington is also slated to meet Neil Giuliano, president of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

"We are encouraged by Isaiah Washington's statement and optimistic that it may mark a turning point in this deeply troubling situation," Giuliano said. "His acknowledgment of his actions and of the hurt and harm his actions have caused is an important first step toward healing his relationships with his castmates, his fans and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community."

After the on-set fracas in October, Knight came out publicly that he was gay. Soon after, the cast appeared on Oprah and everything appeared to be smoothed over. After the Golden Globes revisit of the event, Grey's costar Katherine Heigl said she was disgusted with Washington.

Nice article..........
-------------
jak.
used cars
I wouldn't worry about it all that much, once the show gets over this hill in the road they will be fine... but if he does something like this again, thenn he should definatley be in trouble
come on people!!! how hasn't called something to someone else that you should't???!!!are you going to judge the guy because of what he said?! damm the man was angry and sometimes things get out of control and we don't know what we're doing! I think Washington it's a great actor so as Knight. If they had problems, it's their problem. now stop saying that this or that should be fired!!! the cast is just perfect as it is! knock it of people!!!
huhu grey's without burke is such a No-No... he's the one making the show interesting, i'm not going to watch grey's anymore if he's gone!! i simply luv him with cristina, the story line will be spoilt, how do they cover it up... get over it people! like u never did the same thing when you are mad! -_-'
Duude. I read about the incident in October but I never expected it to become such a big thing. I mean the bad part is that they don't get along, not that he said God knows what...Everybody's acting like if they would have faught without using curse words everything would be just dady!

Besides, people say mean things whan thry're mad. Everybody does it, not just Isaiah. He should't be crucified for it.
I love Dr. Burke. He's my favorite character in this show. He is a great actor. leave him alone!
I really think this "story" is a let down. When I heard that Washington had some how managed to mess things up and people are wanting him fired from the show... My first thought was, "Has he been drinking and driving, maybe he has been selling illegal drugs or maybe he killed someone?" But Oh No, all he did was call someone a (You Know the Word) Now I know that's wrong so you can't say I'm homophobic or anything, but to maybe loose a job other something that can so easily happen to anyone is ridiculous.
We are becoming to sensitive,as we watch T.V.No need to fire this guy just give a pay dock of half his paycheck.Did Arnold Schwartzenegger do counciling

when he made remark about black and latins NO.

He said sorry he was just gofing around. I'm not a big fan of the show but I think they show just move pass it already.
Had the situation been reversed and T.R. had been the one that made a racial slur, there would have been more media and I believe they would have fired him the very same week. I don't think it will make any difference if they fire him or not since he is just humiliating himself by staying on the show and effectively in the media. This will all catch up to him sooner or later.
I'll be the first to say that the media blows everything out of proportion. This one incident over a word that is used daily and all of the sudden it's let's fire Isaiah Washington week. Did the man make a mistake by calling T.R Knight gay Maybe, he apologized for it even if he didn't do it. Let's go on with life shall we. Also Knight coming out on Oprah and saying publicly that he is gay then personally Washington's comment offensive to some it may be, was the truth. Why fire him over it. The man he made the comment about came out on national LIVE television and admitted to the fact. ABC let it go. You have a great show, good actors, they are not always gonna agree, but don't ruin a good thing.
I believe that it is blown out of proportion a bit, I love TR Knight and his character, and I never really liked Washington, but I could tolerate him. People should just realize that he is human and he makes mistakes, we all do. And as a gay man, I don't understand the big fuss about the F* word (just to be save), he was just referring to the word, he did not say it directly TO someone, most gay people I know use the word to joke with each other. It's basically the same as the N* word, a lot of black people use it in their daily conversation, but as soon a someone from another race says it, it's the end of the word.

I am not that touchy and I think that other gay people should try and be more relaxed, because if you are constantly going to keep on hammering about inequality and rights, we are never going to be excepted normally in the community.
TR should be fired. He's the troublemaker and a poor actor. I don't care if he's gay or green and slimy. He's the one with an agenda.
i think that the comments where complettly out of like and should fire him for all of the things he has done
He's an egotistical, homophobic, holier than thou idiot. The black people are constantly crying about race prejudice......this is much worse as Isaiah lied about saying it!! Fire him! I never liked his character anyway.
the show would not have a great storyline with him gone. but i think it is awful what he did. first he used the word, then he denyed it! thats pretty bad not to own up for your mistakes, thats what makes me the most mad. if he had come out, apologized for it, i think people could move on, but the fact that he denyed it makes it worse.
He should be FIRED!!!!!!
I won't get into writing a diatribe about this. Simply put, Washington should be fired. I love Grey's and ever since this incident happened I can't look at the character 'Burke' in the same way. I wouldn't care if he were gone from the show. Maybe he's an important character, but, is he really anyone's favorite (I'm sure he is to some but not most)? Get rid of Washington and the seemingly endless tension on the set probably goes away.
Hum.... I'm very close friends with Isaiah's roommate from college and his first few years working , trying to get his break. They did a few plays together back then. He is still in contact with him today... When my friend was in LA late last year, Isaiah had him come down and spend the day with him on the set. I'm saying this to establish were my comments come from.

This whole thing is being blown out of realism... Isaiah is a very intense professional (this can be learned by doing a little research into his background) When he is working he is very serious and very focus... The day that he allegedly call TR "the name" Isaiah had a very intense (emotionally) scene that was about to be shot... and he had spent some time getting ready (emotionally) for it. --- If you not an actor and you have never had to act and make it look real, then you don’t truly understand what type of preparation is required for some actors. Granted not all actors need the same prep time, but it seems Isaiah does. --- After waiting a very long time he was getting pissed and asked where TR was... he was pissed, but he didn’t say the f**** word. When backstage a the Golden Globes, the reporters where accusing him of saying that word. Where he did make his mistake was during the GG interview he should have just ignored the reporters... I would like to see any of us get bombarded with accusations like he was and keep quite. So in the GG interview when he said “I didn’t call TR a F****t” it is true... I know that cast members have gone on TV saying otherwise and that Isaiah is in a crazed media pleasing frenzy to keep his job... but it is just too bad that it had to happen... How about the fact that TR was late to the set and cost time and money, I wonder if the executives of the show reprimanded him at all???

Either way, if we fired every person who made a mistake, our nation would have a lot of unemployed folks... My two cents... take it spend it, or leave it for the next guy... Cheers
The way that this story has germinated and grown and grown has been astonishing. I am amazed at how scared we as a race seem to be of even the slightest misuse of a word. Are we so **** scared, in these politically correct times, of maybe possibly hurting someone's feelings that just one word can be the grounds for ruining a man? I definitely don't think he should be fired. If there is tensions between the cast members, for God's sake just sort it out. You are all adults. Grow up, people.
Okay, I wrote this long message, but it's not nearly as eloquent what TV.com did when I previewed it: it censored the word "n-i-g-g-a-r-d-l-y."

For crying out loud! It's a perfectly valid word with no etymological similarity to the N-word, yet we censor it and fire a bureaucrat over using it in a report?

In this case, the guy's just a jerk, not a foaming bigot. The proper response is a sigh of disgust and a roll of the eyes. My own particular minority gets slandered onscreen all the time (not just backstage, note, ONSCREEN), but do you see me jumping up and down? Chill out, people.
I personally LOVE the show and it wouldnt be the same without "Dr. Burke". I do admit it was totally out of line and lacked class among many other things I could say about his comments and behavior. BUT, as a huge fan of the show, it would be crazy to do away with I.W.'s character. Many of you commenting on this article dont even watch Grey's Anatomy, but if the network fires him this hit show will definitely self-destruct and many of the fans would hate to see that happen. I believe that he does need to make ammends with leaders of the communities he has offended, but that we should all just move on and forgive. EVERYONE, with NO exceptions in this world, has done or said things that offended someone and that they regret and hopefully deserved to be forgiven for. NO ONE is perfect. Unfortunately many of us expect people as an actor in the media to be flawless and that will NEVER be the case. I just really hate to see the show fall apart when he DOES deserve to be forgiven, we all do.
yet another uneducated, biased opinion NIDKID. You have no ida whether or not T.R. was prancing around the studio. All you know is your opinion of Gay people. If you are part of a minority that is not given equal rights, and treated the same you would feel the same way as gay people and their families feel about this. This issue is more than that even. He should suffer a consequence for his actions. No role model or public figure should ever make rude remarks about other people in the presence of anyone that could talk with the media. He is only talking with this group to save his job. If the tables were turned you can bet that Isaiah wouldn't have taken it as lightly as T.R. has. especially with his history of anger problems.
I will have to disagree on that point NiDKiD. Well, at least here in Seattle, queer is not considered offensive in the LGBT community. It is actually a classification that has been used. During many workshops that I have done that are and are not GLSEN-related, they ask if you are gay bi, trans, lesbian, intersex, or queer.

Queer is not even close to the same classification as f****t. If you use any derogatory term for any ethnic minority, they are going to get upset, as the LGBT community will when a derogatoryterm is used to describe them. Professional athletes have been fined thousands of dollars for saying f****t to reporters will be a very specific case in point.

IW is realizing that his mouth is getting him in trouble, so maybe losing his job will be the reality check he needs. Working with GLSEN during No Name Calling Week, a time where students pledge not to use any derogatory terms toward their classmates, and making him talk to these kids, saying that what he did was wrong and should never be duplicated could also attempt to smooth things out.

And for the record: I do not watch Grey's Anatomy. I thought Grey was the name of the hospital!
I think everyone should just get a grip and let this one go. Not everyone is 100% pro gay in this world. Personally, I'm sick to death of gay rights and having to tread softly on every single issue because it might offend some gay actor somewhere. They seem to be coming out of the closet faster than moths on old clothing these days.

He probably should have held his tongue at work knowing that one of the cast members was gay He probably just lost his head one day after TR pranced around the set once too often. He initially apologized and that should have been the end of it. Whoever advised him to deny it ever happened afterwards has now been fired. That one is on him, not Isaiah. Let's just move on and let this one die already.

Grey's Anatomy is a trashy show but a popular one. If its fans don't want to see it self-destruct, they should realize that it needs to get past this nonsense. I don't watch the show and I couldn't care less either way. I just wanted to say that I understand Isaiah's frustration and sympathize with him.

One final thing. It's hard to get all worked up over a word like "f****t" when they insist on calling themselves as queer Both are pretty offensive, IMO.
I really don't think his work with GLSEN has anything to do with apologies or mending fences or anything of that nature. Dude's just trying to save his JAY-OH-BEE, pure and simple. As sucky as it might be for his character to leave the show, if he is fired, it would be a good way to get a very strong point across-- namely, it don't matter if you're a big name star or Joe Shmoe, you say nasty things enough, you WILL be penalized for your actions.

Really, it's quite surprising, too. I think i read once that Mr Washington said in an interview that he modeled himself after Sidney Poitier, in his work choices and his personal life. Can't ever imagine Mr Poitier saying something so awful. Sigh.
As one who is the Public Relations Director for one of the 40 chapters nationwide GLSEN has (ironically, the one in Seattle, WA), I think it is awesome that Isaiah is trying to mend fences by reaching out to an outstanding organization that helps put an end to anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in K-12 schools, and definately getting involved in one of our bigger events, No Name Calling week!
stillatin - what do you mean?? both are VERY derogatory comments to people - I think that using them as descriptors is the same...
dont EVER compare the word F**** to the N word, stupid comparison to the fullest.
Note that he didn't actually call anyone a "fa#&*t." He just used it in denying that he did call someone that name. It wasn't the best forum to be using the word but I know gay people that use the term themselves (it seems to be analogous to African Americans using the "N" word in certain situations.) One of my favorite people in the world is gay and call himself a "fa#&*t" all the time, so I really think that we have to remember that context and meaning are everything in language and that no word, however powerful, should lose all meaning of context and be interpreted so that its mere utterance should stain it's speaker forever. There are appropriate contexts and usages for all words and this may not have been the appropriate context but it was not the wrong usage. I'm not in any way saying that a hetero male should have any right to use it the same way that a gay person would (because a gay person using it is, in a sense, "taking it back" and "taking the teeth out of it" when they do since it no longer is used in a negative fashion and is actually turned into a positive; part of the cultural dialectic) and it was inappropriate to use on national TV, but he didn't directly call anyone by the term and he was actually refuting the use of the term in a specific situation. In such a public forum he should have come up something like, "I didn't call so and so the 'F' word," (which has it's own difficulties because then everyone might get confused by the other "F" word.) At the time, he would have been smart to elaborate and say that he, "...would never call someone that term," etc., etc. which would have further helped explain the context, but I think it's been assumed that if he used the term at all that he must automatically think negative of gay people; which is strange to me. It's really the same thing as him saying that he didn't call someone an as#*^%e; not appropriate on prime time but not offensive as a refutation and denial of having used the term in the less appropriate and more offensive situation of actually calling someone by the term in the first place. Would you be offended if you overheard someone explaining to another person that they overheard another conversation in which someone else called another a "fa#$^t" and they used the term in describing the incident (but they themselves weren't calling someone by the term and were just reporting what they heard?) I think we would all be offended by hearing someone direct the term to another person but just hearing it when a situation is being described (which is essentially what this case is; his description of a situation in that he denied ever happened) seems like it's taking it too far. Calling someone a Nazi and talking about the Nazi regime in it's historical context are two different things and although the specific term used in this case is more loaded and and laden with a negative connotation and should be used more carefully, the basic premise is the same. We should distinguish between someone directing the term and using it in a negative manner and someone just reporting that they did not use it in a specific situation. I don't think it's worth more than a heartfelt apology and an explanation that he didn't mean to actually call anyone that term.
Personally, I think Isaiah shouldn't have made the statement at all during the Golden Globes. I always liked him on Grey's Anatomy, but this arguement has gone too far. He needs to settle things once and for all with T.R. and leave the public out of it. Because I like his character, I would like to see him stay on Grey's Anatomy, but my respect for him has dropped as this has continued and I wouldn't be upset if he did get fired.
Since I am "one of those kind of people", allow me to share a little story about something that happened to me at work recently. I was at the copy machine when one of the salesmen, talking to another, referred to one of his clients as a "******" (insert Washington's word here). He looked up, realized I had heard him, and hepromptly clammed up and scampered off. I didn't confront him on the issue (it caught me by surprise) but I did inform my boss that I was not very pleased...at all. I personally don't care if the guy dislikes my "kind of people" or not. It's not like I'm inviting his family over for dinner. But geesh, how hard is it to have some simple manners? In hindsight, I wonder if it had ever occurred to him-until that moment-how offensive that term might be to someone. And that really surprises me since that salesman is also a member of a minority and must have been called his share of offensive names growing up here in the South. I guess things don't necessarily register with some people until they've embarrassed themselves, once or twice. Maybe that's the case with Mr. Washington; maybe he hadn't considered that word might actually be an offensive thing to call someone. I'd like to hope that's the case, rather than thinking Washington's deliberately being hateful.
MistaEko, I cannot believe that you would write such an uneducated, ignorant response to this article. "those kind of people" (the gays) are part of your city, probably members of your family and tax paying citizens just like you. To say that T.R. Knights family made Isaiahs family slaves is just wrong as well. African Americans were treated very badly in the past, but I think that it has come a very long way since the civil war and even Martin Luther King. Gay Lesbian, Bi, and transgender people are now trying to fight for simple rights like everyone else. When someone says something like this, not only does show disgust and hatred toward a group of people but it makes I.W. look like a fool. Before you get on here and say things about "those kind of people" you may want to stop and think that someone you are close to or love even are gay and you may hurt them by saying things. It is a very true statement made in several other comments that if the "N" bomb had been dropped it would have been an even bigger deal then this. I don't know what the consequence should be but he should be punished for saying the things he said. A role model should never say the things I.W. has said. T.R. has handled this with such class and understanding. Much more then I could have handled it with
...this situation is completely ridiculous...personally i don't care if your gay lesbian, trans, black, yellow...you can be green with pink stripes, for me everyone is equal, an as equals we must eradicate the power some words have in our society!!! make no mistake, you are only offended because you allow other people that power over you...why is it that i can call a heterosexual friend gay and be joking, and if a call a homosexual friend gay I'm being obnoxious??!! my politic?? call every thing you like I'm only offended if it suits me...but if you want to empower others than be my guest!!!and please...PLEASE stop referring to some words by their initials!!! if you want to say something just say!!! Mr. Washington was rude!...should he be fired??of course not, unless everyone who calls a coworker something "offensive" is to be fired also!!! i think he should apologize, and suffer which ever consequences people who offend others suffer..no more no less!!! stop making such a big deal out of this...i can't stand hypocritical people...
"a word that, like so many others, has no place in our society," GLSEN head Kevin Jennings said". Does he want a speech police? The next step will be a thought police. People are far too easily offended nowadays. This will lead to the impoverishment of the English vocabulary.
Of course the pc media will make a big deal of it as gays are overrepresented in them, as they are in the entertainment world. And why is it mandatory to like them anyway? This kind of overprotection of certain groups only puts them in a victim role.
I can see the 'positives' in meeting with these 'leagues' and such...but Isaiah's not 'famous' enough to make a difference. If you didn't know him from his various films (especially the ones directed by Spike Lee) then this is probably most of America's first time getting to 'know' him. Regardless, many celebrities have done worse and gotten nothing but slaps on their wrists. Why this story is so 'big' is beyond me. Hit show, yeah. Big ratings, got it. ABC needs to understand that Isaiah's character is important to the show and dropping/replacing him WILL hurt the show overall.

Just a few months back on Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld suggested that Michael Richards be given another chance. This incident can surely be dropped at this point, yes?
kevinb4444, The problem with your comment is that it assumes that only the people targeted by slurs are affected by them. Words like f*gg*t should offend everyone. It would be a mistake to suggest that only black people should be upset with Michael Richards, or that only Jews should be upset with Mel Gibson. When someone says a hurtful bigoted thing, it is the responsibility of all people to feel outraged.
why is everyone so worried about Hollywood, like they know these people. I understand gay people being offended, but they weren't even there, well it was Hollywood so some of there probably were. Just remember when these people are like everyone else, before you watch these awards shows that make them seem perfect or change your ideas or beliefs I just because some actor said it , that they are not better than anyone else, most times they are worse than everyone else. But it's done the show still good so forget it, the way I see it the only one who should have a gripe is the guy who plays O'malley, since he is gay and maybe the other gay people who were there and heard it, because once again it is Hollywood. If he wants him fired then the guy who plays Burke should be fired.
yes i do think that what Washington said was insulting but maybe he just said it out of anger ... mist people say things they dont mean when they're angry .. and who knows he might actually have anger problems...

and it would be a shame if they had to fire because i really got used to him playin the role of Burke....

Though i must say .. hehe .. intimidatin him and puttin his job on the line will make him think twice before talkin in the future!!
I really wish I didn't like his character so I woudn't be disappointed to see him go
All these rumors about what happened on the set usually come out to be true, and let's face it T R confirms what Washington said. T R has to work with this guy, and I'm sure Washington has cost tension on the set with other cast members. Should he be fired? I think so, you just don't say that word especially at a height media event like the Golden Globes. Now Washington is just doing damage control because he knows he messed up again, I don't think it's very sincere.
Svetlana73, im not saying that they should but people in the public eye do not have a responsibility more than any other person. They are not special, they are just on TV. They are exactly like everyone else. They are good at their profession. What are you saying? That everyone in a different position or profession, gets their own set of rules? What Washington did was wrong, everyone gets that, but what he has been done has been manipulated completely by the Media. The truth probably has already been stretched quite far. And your reference that gays are the entertainment industry, is not only pretty biased but completely untrue as well. See now you might be offending alot of people as well, whose having the bad day now?
what EVER! I like Burke. Who cares about the actor?
The first time could have been thought of as a mistake - yes everyone makes mistakes, but to do it a second time, this in front of the cameras, in front of the rest of the cast, and in front of the fans of the show is an absolute insult to T R Knight. Of course it would be different if someone had cast a racist slur at Isaiah, they'd have been out the first time.

It rankled with me when I watched the show this week and I just want him gone now.
I know some people may disagree with me, but I definately think that he should be fired...I can't even watch Grey's Anatomy anymore without thinking about it. I can't believe he would call someone that. It's so disrespectful! They should can him.
I think its up to Mr.Knight if he feels comfterble to have Mr.Washington on the show i think he should stay but if he doesnt i think he should leave.

Its not really up to the network or anyone else to make an example of him but if the cast feels uncomfterble with him he should leave.
I can't believe he is still part of the cast. Mr. Washington needs to be fired. If Mr. Knight had called him the N word he would have been fired.
I was surprised when we heard that he said it "on set". Of course that was just heresay, only those there know what happened for sure. But THEN, he says it AGAIN after his top-rated show just won their first(?) Golden Globe?!? What the h*ll? Yes, he was trying to make it better, make it all go away, but he did the exact opposite. I agree with other comments here, that if someone used the "N" word, Isaiah would not have taken it as gracefully as T.R. seems to have taken the use of the "F" word. I don't watch Grey's, so can't judge if Isaiah should stay or go. But if he stays, with all the tension that there will most likely be on the set, T.R. should most definitely win an Emmy for acting like they get along.
i think people need to quite being babys and get over it
Fire his butt. Making racist comments, thinking he is above all other cast members! Gimme a break. Send him packing and get a new member.
I am afraid that the issue will not go away. The public and the press will be all over it as long as both are working together on the same show. There are to many celebrity shows and magazines that constantly need material, and if it happens to be a light news day, they will just bring up the past.
Load More Comments