It's Official: Two and a Half Men Is Killing Off Charlie

The new Two and a Half Men

More details have leaked concerning the minor adjustment Two and a Half Men will undergo at the start of its ninth season: You know, the one where the show phases out Charlie Sheen’s character, Charlie Harper, to make room for Ashton Kutcher, whose character is listed as "Raymond" on IMDb. Deadline reports that the rumors we heard in June are true: Charlie will indeed be killed off. The "how" is still up in the air, though no one is ruling out "drives car over cliff," a scenario first floated by TMZ. The season premiere will jump ahead in time to reveal Charlie’s brother, Alan (Jon Cryer), and nephew, Jake (Angus T. Jones), attempting to sell his Malibu house to potential buyers. Kutcher plays a potential buyer who, by the end of the two-parter, will own the home and, for ease-of-sitcom purposes, allow the other one-and-a-half guys to live there.

And so I throw this one open to you: Are you Sheen loyalists who won't tune in out of principle? Or are you Two and a Half Men mega-fans who'd watch the show through thick and thin? Are you neither, but perhaps gawking passers-by who'll show up for the premiere just to see what kind of wisecracks the show will make at Sheen's expense, and how well Kutcher fares in his first foray into scripted TV since That ‘70s Show? Or are you just ignoring the whole thing completely?

charlie harpers gr8

but my question is ..... why did they get rid of charlie???
i think you should bring back charlie like you promised him you would then you scewed him aushton keutcher sucks hes a teribale actor he was bad in the 70s show the women outshined him on that show screw aushton bring back charly if you dont you just lost a viewer we love ya charle
The show will never be the same without Charlie Sheen.I watch it because of him. Its like the end of of an era.

Miss you Charlie Sheen. Get well soon...........

I also like Ashton Kutcher . Lets hope the writers wont let us down.
GET WELL SOON CHARLIE , ( your health is all that matters )

I am devistated that the Producers have chosen to write charlie out in this manner , Charlie Jon and Angus make the series , and the reason why the its fun to watch

What Charlie Sheen does in his own time , is his own private life . I'm sick of seeing the media who penalize actors and actresses for drug and drink issues . ( imagine how hard life would be if you couldn't go anywhere without the media trying to get a public humiliation photo of you, putting cameras in every part of your life , what to make a few bucks )

NO ONE has a right to hit someone male or female ( the penalty should be equal and just ), people do have breaking points and no one saw the warning signs with Charlie , close friends , family , producers

YES HE NEEDS HELP AND SUPPORT ,but killing him off will be detrimental to charlies health and recovery (marry him off to rose , rent his house out for a season or two , whatever , be human and give him the time to heal ). Don't just drive another Stake into his heart .

Many famous and talented people have had their lives cut short because of the media ( Elvis , Princess Diana , Brittney Murphy , Heath ledger , Michael Jackson , just to name a few .

I hope and pray that Charlie doesn't end up on this list .
well some things are not meant to be changed .... i think the show without Charlie will loose its taste ,,, and i can say its been a hell of a good 8 seasons .. but despite that i love the acting of Ashton Kutchor i dont think he was meant to replace Charlie
i will stop watching the shop as charlie make the shop and is the main reason i watch it !!!!!!!!

What Charlie did was on his own time. Yes he needs help but to kill him off and replace him with Ashton? WOULD have been better to marry him off to Rose and take a VERY long honeymoon and when Charlie got the help he needed have him come back dry and make the show funnier trying to deal with marital bliss
NOT GONNA WATCH...

will stop watching . i figure he was paid to entertain people. he did his job quite well. he should have been a sports figure, they are forgiven for everything.
I'll check it out, because I'm an Ashton fan. But I have never been a fan of this show, I mean I have seen several episodes from the past seasons, but this has never been among my top 10 favorites. Let's see if this character "Raymond" turns our nice and maybe I'll tune it more, and not just randomly on reruns.
i'll give it a try. I dont know that Ashton Kutcher will fit in that well with the show. But we'll see what happens i have a feeling the show will just not work out without the main original characters.
It's sort of weird, mentioning Spin city now, since it was Sheen who replaced Michael J Fox and things just well, lost its soul. When all is said and done ,I'm not sure Sheen brought that much of soul to 2 and a 1/2 men either.
In France, the name of the show translates to "My uncle Charlie"... LOL
This is kinda ironic, as in when Sheen took over Spin City from Michael J Fox, that show just went downhill. Spin City was Fox's show and it was never the same again. To me the finale was when Fox left.

For this, what made the show so funny was that it was art imitating life. This is Sheen's show, you can't just replace him with somebody and expect the same results. So I may give the show a chance, but I have doubts. They are milking the show for what little value it has left now. A 'spinoff' would've been better.
I will watch because I like the show. I did NOT like the Charlie Sheen antics of the past few years...his arrests, the drugs, the drinking and his outrageous behavior in general. I like the other characters and will give the show a chance.

Additionally, I'd like to see it succeed JUST to show Charlie Sheen that he is NOT winning anything. He is mentally ill and needs help. If not for his own sake, for the sake of his children!
it was a very bold, very needed and very good decision to get rid of charlie sheen, but the plotline explained above is beyond ridiculous.. just get rid of the whole series, we had enough of it already.. or make a spin-off with the remaining 1 and half men, but this whole ashton kutcher thing is becoming embaressing.. and those who thinks the writers should apologize from sheen: you all must be out of your minds.. no money on earth would worth apologizing from such a douchebag, let alone the fact that, there is absolutely nothing to be apologized.. reversely, even if the begged to return, it should be rejected.. sheen should get lost from tv screens forever.. lorre, please do kill charlie, but with the show itself, and make something else..
I thumbs up the first 5 words. I know finding any sort of story to explain Charlie Sheen's absence would be difficult so this is as good as anything. After the first couple episodes I hope he isn't mentioned...it is a comedy!
nope...
Charlie sheen is the original character of the show and Kelso (Aston) can never take his place he will always be missed

Sure, the show won't be the same without Sheen. Probably should not have continued without him. I don't give it much of a chance, but I'll check out the premiere and a few more, just to see how it fares with Kutcher. Who knows, it might still be funny in this new line-up. Different, but still funny. I expect the worst and hope for the best.
Am I the only one that was getting bored with Charlie? I have always liked the show, but I was getting tired of Charlie. Jon Cryer has always been a better actor. Time for some new blood in the show.

Sure the show may not be the same without Mr Sheen, but nothing stays the same forever. All things have to either grow, change, or whither and die.
I agree with the sentiment of most people... with respect to Kutcher, Two and a half men will not be the same without charlie. The character was to much of an integral part just to kill him off and act like he never existed. The tv network should have spinned off the show into a new sitcom, with a new name. I could have even understood killing of charlie and selling the house, but to keep the house and everybody else the same is just going to go down like a swallowed potato. An interesting feeling until you feel like you are choking.
It aint Two and a Half Men without Charlie Sheen so I'll watch the premiere out of curiosity but after that I'm a goner. This whole thing is ridiculous anyway. The circus that has been built out of thin air has been blown way out of proportion. Let go of your egos and go back to work already. Who even remembers how the eff this whole thing started anyway?
I dont think the show will last without charlie harper , goodluck I hope it works
I don't like the fact that they are killing Harper. It's going to be hard to match Charlie Sheen's character. He was awesome as Charlie Harper. I don't think I'll be watching the coming season, not really interested to see Ashton Kutcher. And I totally agree with "necro_dragoon" "the concept that Ashton will buy the house and let total strangers live in it is kind of absurd and would have been better him being a cousin or son or something with relations to Charlie and Alan"
He wasn't Charlie Harper...he was just being himself. That's hardly acting! If they can do a great comedy with Ashton, Jon and Angus then they might have another couple years.

For everyone dependant upon the series for their incomes, I hope so. Charlie Sheen blew a great deal by opening his big mouth. You can't bitch about the bosses and expect to keep your job. You also can't think you aren't replaceable...being arrogant gets you nowhere!
I don't mind Ashton but I would have perferred that Charlie and Rose would have left to live in Europe somewhere leaving her 'husband' behind for a possible future with Charlie coming back. Also the concept that Ashton will buy the house and let total strangers live in it is kind of absurd and would have been better him being a cousin or son or something with relations to Charlie and Alan becasue I liked the interaction between Charlie and his mom the most out of the show and they better keep berta and since they're killing Charlie off then make Rose a main character.
AK was the reason I hated that 70's show and now he'll be the end of 2 1/2 men.If lorre was looking to replace Sheen with someone worse in every way, grats. mission accomplished.
never really liked charlie, found allan more funny...and i like kutcher, i think he'll be more fun...
I never liked Charlie,hes a terrible actor anws,this show is gonna be so much better without him,all he did was walk around getting drunk at every episode.I dont know if Ashton can save the show cause the last season was absolutely horrible but i think he will def give it a fresh start.Am tuning in for the premier.
Exactly...how much acting does it take to be yourself? He's an arrogant drunk that likes to be mean to people that he THINKS need him! A-hole.
Personally i think Charlie Sheen was the one that made the show a hit in the first place as Charlie Harper, and the fact that they are killing off his caracter is just plain wrong. The show won't be the same anymore and i suspect the show wont get as many ratings as it did when Charlie Sheen was on it. And I don't know bout anyone else but i might watch the premier and if i do that will be the last episode that i will ever watch of Two And A Half Men.
Without Charlie Sheen this show will not last a season. Alan is a little gay guy that has the sense of a maggot a son that is just a typical teen and as for Aston Kutcher, what a joke. He could not keep the show alive if his life depended on it. I agree with the guy who said that the writer needs to apologize to Sheen and beg him to come back so they can all continue to make money. Yes Sheen had a problem, a sickness and unless you have ever dealt with someone that has had a drug problem you need to keep your opinions to yourself about Sheen. He is a nice guy really and did a lot of good before he got involved with a bad thing. Without him the show will suck and will NOT LAST. Wait and see.
Yeah, that is awful writing - a stranger buys house lets Allen and kid stay??really?

Allen should get a few million for a town-house in Malibu. Better story line would be that Kutcher was Charlie's bastard son and inherited everything- plus Charlie dying in a whore house is the only way to go! either way show was getting boring even with Sheen and he was 75 percent of the show. Will watch the shows premier but .. not after that.. Kutcher has not grown as actor since 70's show is just the same character in every project..
Totally agree with the bastard son theory, only thing I think would really work. The stranger-buys-house-lets-Harpers-stay is just plain awful writing (way beyond nonsense).
I was really hoping that Ashton would have turned out to be some distant relative and that charlie ran off to Europe for some major binge to just leave a SMALL chance of him returning if there is ANY possibility of the situation improving. But I don't think the show will last long even if its funny, I just think most of the loyal fans were really wanting to see how Charlie ended up, along with everyone else, but mostly charlie, and just killing him off like that will also kill the show. I can see AT MAX this show surviving to a 10th season only if they manage to keep it funny, but I can't see it going any longer then that... It was great while it lasted, but I really wanted to see what girl charlie ended up with...
I really like this show and I can't imagine how it's going to go on without Charlie Sheen. It's a shame that he screwed up so badly. Everyone will have to pay for the stupid stuff he did. I really don't think the show will make it without him. Ashton Kutcher was great on That 70's Show, but I just don't think anyone can take the place of Charlie after so many seasons.
I have never been a fan of the show; I watched reruns here and there, until Charlie Sheen proved to be an A-hole when he beat up his wife nad maybe some hookers or something. Whatever that fiasco was made me sick to my stomach to watch such a neanderthal who was worse off screen then his character. But I will be watching now that Kutcher is on it, and really looking forward to the death of his character. I'm thinking heart attack or drugged and murdered by some hooker.
I only watch the show for Alan anyways. So I will most likely watch it.
I have always thought that Alan was the one who did the show. John Cryer is one of the funniest guys on earth, and Charlie Sheen's character has never been more of a drunken nobody with punchlines. So I have big hopes for this show now, with Charlie out of the picture. :)
im gonna watch it but i dont have high expectations. its like when ashton kutcher and topher grace left that 70s show and they continued it for another year, but randy was godawful and people couldnt stand him, and i think thats what gonna happen here, because watching the show sans charlie is gonna be too weird
One of the worst shows ever. Stopped watch around the 3rd show and have no plan to return. I will be gald when it air because I'm so sick of the whole thing.
If you haven't watched the show since the third episode, then what do you have to be sick of?
Although Ashton is a very fine and funny actor, the show is based on two brothers and a nephew. In my opinion there is no replacing Charlie Sheen. They should just cancel Two and a Half Men for which it is no longe.

The basis of the show is lost.
Will miss Charlie for sure but I am in favor give the show a fair chance. You know quality sitcoms are rare these days so don't want let go this one
as long as its funny - then all will be fine

plus! ashton kutcher is a babeee!
pretty much only watch the show because of Charlie , i dont think i will be watching it with the new guy... Charlie made the show for me
Hopefully there will be some new episodes soon, so that they can stop incessantly showing repeats here in Australia. Check out this report http://www.oztvreviews.com/2010/07/channel-charlie/ take alook at the comments too.

I think it is cruel to kill off Charlie. So he's become difficult if not impossible to work with, it's still disrespectful to what he did to make the show what it became. And if that is the plotline to introduce Ashton Kutcher it is very thin.
They should go for the Poochie solution- a still image of him with someone random saying "I have to go now, my planet needs me"
"Are you neither, but perhaps gawking passers-by who'll show up for the premiere just to see what kind of wisecracks the show will make at Sheen's expense, and how well Kutcher fares in his first foray into scripted TV since That '70s Show?" yep, that's me :)
Who killed Charlie...Like who shot JR on Dallas. Think Rose goes away to an 'institution' for a while for it lol and comes back sooner than later.. she was always a little over the top lol a stint in jail or crazy farm could make her charecter hiliarious
Here's how I would have done it.

Alan, in a drunken stupor hires a hitman [Ashton Kutcher] to kill Charlie. When he sobers up the next day he tries to call it off but he's too late. [By By Charlie] Hitman comes to collect on the hit but Alan dosen't have the money so Kutcher ends up moving in until Alan pays him off. Which would obviously take a very long time with Alan living in fear for all of it.

And as they say, hilarity ensues

But seriously, I can't see the show lasting out the season whatever happened.
Load More Comments