It's South Park versus Scientology!

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of the popular animated series South Park, have angered many factions over the course of their shows nine-year life. Now, however, they may have met their match: Tom Cruise.

Cable channel Comedy Central pulled a repeat Wednesday of a South Park episode that poked fun at Cruise's oft-contested sexuality and his religion, Scientology, which was founded by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. In the episode, "Trapped In The Closet," Tom Cruise locks himself in a closet after one of the characters on the show is chosen as a Scientology savior.

A cartoon version of Cruise's ex-wife, Nicole Kidman, tries to coax Cruise out, saying, "Don't you think this has gone on long enough? It's time for you to come out of the closet. You're not fooling anyone."

Today, Parker and Stone took out a full-page ad in Hollywood newspaper Variety declaring their intention not to be intimidated by heavy-handed tactics.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!" the pair said in the ad.

In January, Cruise was successful in keeping the episode from airing in the UK. This week, the blogsphere buzzed that Cruise had threatened Paramount, who shares corporate parent Viacom with Comedy Central, that he wouldn't do publicity for their upcoming Mission: Impossible III if the episode wasn't pulled, a fact Cruise's publicist denied.

"He never said any such thing about Mission: Impossible III," said Cruise spokesman Arnold Robinson.

Last year, Cruise made headlines when he exhibited odd behavior on The Oprah Winfrey Show and verbally sparred with Today Show host Matt Lauer for believing in psychiatry.

Instead of airing the Cruise episode, the network aired a different episode focusing on Chef, the character played by the departing Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist. Hayes, who has voiced the character of Chef for nine seasons on the show, quit the show this week, citing "religious bigotry" as his reason.

After Hayes' resignation, Stone told Associated Press, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith in Scientology...He has no problem--and he's cashed plenty of checks--with our show making fun of Christians. [We] never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

Feb 04, 2007
I hate to be the only one not on South Park's side, but if the show is that bad that they have to dedicate whole episodes to mocking people, they were bound to get bad feedback.

Like when Family Guy mocks a celebrity, they do one quick sketch about them. If South Park mocks a celebrity, they spend the whole episode doing it. They can't complain about this, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Dec 20, 2006
I have been offended by South Park but I don't start jumping on other peoples couches or throw a fit I laugh because we all need to laugh at ourselves once in a while and South Park helps us.
Sep 25, 2006
I also side with South Park one hundred percent. South Park is a top notch satirical show, and I support it all the way. Why? Because it's not afraid to tell the truth, no matter what it is, and because it won't bow down to any political pressures. What's even better is that the show pretty much makes fun of everyone and everything. Keeping that in mind, I think it's extremely hypocritical of Hayes (the 'Chef' voice actor) to resign over South Park satirising Scientology. Like Stone said, he didn't have a problem with mocking other religions.
Pure hypocrisy.
Sep 07, 2006
I side with South Park 100%. Tom Cruise is a little cry baby and so is Hayes. First south paark has made fun of so many celebrates it's not even funny like: Rob Scheinder, Barbra stresihand, Al Gore, John Edwards, Parish Hilton, George Clooney, jennifer Lopez, Ben Afflect, Rosie O Donald, Sally Struters, and many more. Second I agree with that one guy Scientology AIN'T A FRINGING RELIGION!!!! That's the problem with scientist as well these day, the spend half the day trying to make up crap about Jesus not really existed. HE DID GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom Cruise is has been insane for a long time and I think it's only a matter a time until a get's sent to the psyco ward.
Jul 15, 2006
UMM.... YOU know what you guys...Isaac Hayes didnt quit.. it was just a joke planned out by trey and matt

Jun 28, 2006
It's creepy when a long loved member ot SP will spoof anything or anyone and then quit because of a truth that hurt his "tiny" feelings!
VH
Apr 14, 2006
ISAAC HAYES SHOULD HAVE NOT QUIT THE SHOW BECAUSE THE CREATORS WANT TO MAKE FUN OF SCIENTOLOGY.BUT YET IT IS OK FOR THE CREATORS OF SOUTH PARK TO MAKE FUN OF CHRISTIANS AND THE CATHLOICS TOO.I THINK THAT ISAAC HAYES SHOULD COME BACK TO THE SHOW.THE SHOW WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE CHEF CHARTER AT ALL.
Apr 09, 2006
Hoo! Hoo Ha!! Hoo Ha Ha Hoo! Foo! and the like! (oh, I'm on the goofballs side... ... those two morons side... ... ... South Park's goofballs, not the ology thing)
Apr 08, 2006
I am 100% behind Matt and Trey in their battle against Scientology. Cruise's comments on Psychiatry where completely out of order. I feel sorry for Katy Holmes getting involved with that Wacko, now she has cultists outside her house trying to insure that she has a painful drug free and totally silent birth.
Apr 07, 2006
no matter what your opinion of Scientology you have to give it to Trey Parker and Matt Stone the got alot of balls. keep it up guys.
Mar 30, 2006
I back South Park 100%. Yes, they have made fun of everyone, but even when they made fun of some category I belonged to I laughed because it's not really discrimination if you're discriminating everybody indiscriminately ;-)
Obviously Cruise has no sense of humor, it'd be good for him to laugh at himself every once in a while and Hayes is just and hypocryte. He should have resigned long ago, when South Park made fun of the very first religious group not wait 9 years, 150 episodes and God knows how many millions of dollars in his bank account from pay and residuals before quitting.
Mar 26, 2006
"*cough* Well nevermind the Howdy Doody thing :D. It looks like everyone must get that thing by default, I wondered why I kept seeing people use it. What a stupid pic for Tv to use by default though :/"

lol yeah, which is why I picked MonocleBender. it looks way cooler than that gay puppet. As for anyone who thinks God is magical, it's the best explanation I can think of for the universe. I'm pretty agnostic though.
Mar 26, 2006
This is asstarded, Scientology is BULL$HIT. Oh I know, let's believe in a religion based on galactic conquerors with giant B-52 spaceships and alien souls that cause negative emotions. Does anyone even THINK anymore? Clearly, Issac Hayes does not. I respect most religions, but Scientology is no religion, it's a cult.
Mar 24, 2006
yo i totally agree with cywolve
south park slagged every major religion but once they slag a celebrity cult,noooo they've gone too far. i've personally made a webpage
against tom cruise and scientology.
if you like south park, go to my page at http://www.forumcircle.com/scientologysucks/
and register.please do as numbers are low (0)
Mar 23, 2006
Not only him ap, but they primarily got back at Tom Cruise, and "his fruity little club". :)
Mar 23, 2006
This is hilarious and Parker and Stone got back at him in the Return of Chef Episode tonight.
Mar 23, 2006
South Park has made fun of religions in the past, why is this any differnet? It woulnd't be South Park if they didn't "go there". Good for South Park!!
Mar 22, 2006
["why didn't he quit when they where paying out on other religions" well put it this way u have a friend that goes round pooning other guys wives that you don't know and have nothing to do with what so ever your not going to care you will proably even find it funny because it's not happpening 2 u but as soon as he poons your wife u r goin 2 be rather annoyed]

That's a terrible analogy, especially considering that Isaac apparently makes it public that he was brought up Baptist and Scientology is like an accessory pack that adds to his beliefs.

Just like Tom Cruise and his peoples were telling Katie Holmes that she doesn't have to give up her Catholic beliefs in order to embrace Scientology. It's just like the episode of South Park said, "Oh, don't worry, Scientology is more of a...version of psychology than a religion." "Then why does your sign say Church of Scientology?" "Well Greg, I bet you're ready to take that personality test now! :D"

And keep in mind that if the guy's friend who's wife just cheated on him reacted, he wouldn't tell the his buddy that what you do is dispicable and hateful to all the guys whose wives he made it with. He would be honest and either cuss the guy or attack him for being with his wife. He wouldn't be full of crap like Isaac Hayes was and all of a sudden decide what he did to the other guys was bad too, that would make him look like a douche.
Mar 22, 2006
"I don't take it farther than that, besides saying, "Learn how to type, man, I wanted to read your post, not decipher the Da Vinchi Code"."

yeah see i'm french and english is not my first language so i'll learn to type when u learn french, ok?

anyway i find any religion stupid and that is my belief, the world goes wrong because of religions, (see irland, usa, irak), so call me "sleezeball Aethiest", i don't need someone's promises to find peace.
Mar 22, 2006
*cough* Well nevermind the Howdy Doody thing :D. It looks like everyone must get that thing by default, I wondered why I kept seeing people use it. What a stupid pic for Tv to use by default though :/.
Mar 22, 2006
You're not fooling anybody, guy with the evil Howdy Doody display pic. You're just the same guy using a different name and voicing different opinions. "excuse spelling and punction."

Please, you didn't misspell anything as badly as punctuation up until then, you just wanted to see people get a rise out of the illiterate scientology supporter.

But nonetheless that was awesome with the magical g*d retort school's out. I'm somewhat protestant, sorta non-denominational, but you rock my socks off. :D

We've also got proof of the brand new feeling we receive after we "join up". The only thing you get with scientology is a lighter wallet, and happier celebrities who are on top of the pyramid scheme.

Massive insanity has an appropriate handle for himself, he seems massively confused. How do Matt and trey have all these left wing agendas they brainwash poor unsuspecting teens with. The most well known, and in some ways, most loved character on the entire show Cartman, is an animated version of Archie Bunker. He calls Kyle a Jew in just about every episode, he calls Token, sometimes even Stan or Kyle a black a**hole.

The show doesn't only joke about religion but it has characters like Mr. Garrison, Mr. Slave and Big Gay Al. They had the episode like Independence Day about the fatal threat of hippies. Nothing in the past two paragraphs would be mentioned in a liberal-biased program.
Mar 21, 2006
Tom Cruise wants respect, does he MassInsanity? He needs to show some respect to women then. Telling Brooke Shields she was wrong to take antidepressants for post-depression was mean and ignorant. He is not a doctor and he's never had post-partum depression!
Mar 20, 2006
Sorry for posting again, but this one will me short. "Magical God?". XD! God isn't magical. Also, we have proof that Jesus came down on Earth. What proof is there that ALIENS gave us all SOULS!? XD, I don't think there is any!
Mar 20, 2006
Quote from another person: "and yes i think that catholism is stupid too, but it's a religion"

See, I am a Catholic. Catholics are Christians, and believe that Jesus was the Son of God. I don't care what that sleezeball Aethiest who called Catholicism is stupid thinks. So I just say "Take that you sleezeball Aethiest, who made fun of my religion!" I don't take it farther than that, besides saying, "Learn how to type, man, I wanted to read your post, not decipher the Da Vinchi Code".

I agree with Matt and Trey. I don't think Scientology (Which ISN'T a RELIGION! It's a CULT!) is a serious group. Who would believe in it? You watch, in this next season, they'll make fun of those darn aethiests, too.

The point is, Tom Cruise sucks. Matt and Trey Rock. If Issac Hayes wants to go, "seeya!"

The constant Catholic, Christian, Jew, and Morman ripping didn't bother him, but "Oh! How dare they make fun of his CULT! That's suddenly a sin!"

And about that MI:III thing, "Who cares!?". it's a dumb movie with the guy that is ruining South Park in it.

The point of this is, no religion is perfect, and some make more sense. But, c'mon, if you're a scientologist, you're an aethiest, too. Remember: Scientology is NOT a religion!

That's all I got to say, so I'll leave, saying,

GO MATT AND TREY!
Mar 20, 2006
What kind of a religion is based on a novel by a perv who was wanted for tax evasion? The whole concept of Scientology is ridiculous - which is why it doesn't surprise me that Tom Cruise believes in it so much (just as he believes he's not gay!). It really goes to show what kind of a world this has come to when we can't have a harmless satrical laugh at celebrities without them suing us for it! You would think that with all the money that drama-queen Cruise has made over the years he'd maybe be able to afford the part of the brain which says: "Dude, it's a joke. Humor. Its good for you. Just don't smile though...yer gonna make everyone puke." I hope the evil lord Xenu comes to earth, rounds up folk like Cruise and culls the lot of them! Tom, life is far too short - get a grip mate! And as for Isaac Hayes, man you used to be cool, but now yer just Shaftin the fans and friends you've made from the show. You're nothing but a spoiled celeb with double standards (nothing new huh?) And to Trey and Matt - I salute thee! Keep up the free speech - YOU are the true prophets of our time.
Mar 20, 2006
Every1 is so quick to bag out scientology because it sounds so far fetched, i personally think its ridiculous but no more ridiculous than christianity or muslem or ne other religion on this planet, we couldnt possibly be inhabited by alien souls but a magical god that creates and controls everything from up above, yeh thats much more belivable and even though i dont believe in it, i know it gives people faith so let them belive what they want. tom cruise was obviously highly offended which is fair enough i would be to if they were my beliefs, but carrying on the way he has, doesnt help him or his religion he's basically created more hype around the episode by trying to ban it. It will be sad 2 c chef go but i don't blame him even though i laughed my ass off i imagine it was highly offensive to ne scientologist, alot of people are calling him a hypocrite "why didn't he quit when they where paying out on other religions" well put it this way u have a friend that goes round pooning other guys wives that you don't know and have nothing to do with what so ever your not going to care you will proably even find it funny because it's not happpening 2 u but as soon as he poons your wife u r goin 2 be rather annoyed, i gurantee every1 out there has laughed at 1 episode and then been compleytley offended and peeved off at another so don't call chef a hypocrite because u r only becoming a hypocrite by saying so. All in all i think the guys at south park r really clever and i love the show even though i myself have been offended by it, its unfortunate that chef will be leaving and tom should learn to chill out a bit. For all of you who r so quick to label scientology crazy insane nonsense please sit down and take a look at your own religion becuse its just as farfetched. ps please excuse spelling and punction.
Mar 20, 2006
What a great ad they put in the paper. For years now scientology has been masquerading as a real religion that doesn't open itself up for criticism. Shame on Isaac Hayes for being so arrogant and bigotted.
Mar 20, 2006
Tom Cruise doesn't want his religion attacked???? WTF has this world come to!?!?!?! How dare he want his beliefs to be respected! You people to think before you speak, wanting your religion respected is not unreasonable.
Mar 20, 2006
I agree, It's all a case of Isaac beimg able to dish it outbut not take it. Scientology had it coming, being the ridiculous 'religion' that it is.
Losing Chef wont make any difference to the show, he hasn;t really been in it for a fair few seasons anyway
Mar 20, 2006
"Seriously how many radical extremist scientologists do you hear about?"

Go to www.xenu.net or www.whyaretheydead.net

Scientology was founded by an extremist. Did you know he thought leukemia was pyschosomatic?
Mar 20, 2006
Cruise should spend more time doing his REAL job and less time bashing South Park and jumping Oprah's couch.
Mar 20, 2006
Just finished working on a podcast for the National Enquirer's Mike Walker.

He does a nice job of explaining the pressure Cruise put on Paramount.

He also reveals that Cruise is looking to persuade the Church of Scientology to buy Neverland, and that George Michael was arrested with a gimp mask.

http://thegossipgmae.libsyn.com or go to iTunes and search for 'Gossip Game'
Mar 19, 2006
i respect Trey and Matt more then ever because they will stick up for what they believe in. I respect them for sticking up for what they believe in but not cruize because they never went over Tom Cruizes head and had scientology banned from a network. It's so stupid. Hey, Tom in the words of cartman "GO F*** YOURSELF"
Mar 19, 2006
South Park is crap, those 2 morons just use it to put their left wing beilefs out there. They use it to pass ultimate judgement like they are gods. Remember the episode where the say ate 16 or 17 I believe you WILL be ready for sex...WHO IN THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!?!?!? Who died and made them masters of the universe? South Park and Parker & Stone are lame retards! CANCEL THIS SHOW!

But, Stone was right about what he said about Hayes. Hayes is a loser!
Mar 19, 2006
I applaud Parker and Stone for their unabashed take on Scientology and their unwillingness to bow to its mob-like tactics of persuasion and harassment. Good for them. As for "Mission Impossible 3," hopefully, just the fact that Cruise is in it will be enough to make it flop. I can't even see him come on screen, anymore, without being disgusted by that overbearing, conceited smile. I can't fathom how this man thinks he knows best for the masses when he invests himself and his money in the self-indulgent ramblings of a moderately successful science-fiction writer.
Mar 19, 2006
I think you'll probably find Isaac Hayes has probably made more than enough money from South Park and it's mocking of anything that exists, that if he feels that strongly he should return all those paychecks, as for the muslim cartoons, Stone and Parker wouldn't touch that with a barge pole, I mean seriously how many radical extremist scientologists do you hear about, Cruise and the rest of those lads with there relatively new religion are sitting ducks, or is it lame ducks?
Mar 19, 2006
So, if you paid a six-figure amount to get to know the secrets of the universe, and you got screwed that bad... wouldn't you be pissed? :)
Mar 19, 2006
Good God! Tom Cruise needs to lighten up! It's just a joke. If everyone SP made fun of got upset almost the entire world would be rioting!
Mar 19, 2006
I've got to say I'm totally in Parker and Stone's corner. There isn't a group they haven't made fun of, what is it that would make Scientology exempt? Especially when a wackko like Cruise is running around behaving the way he does, in the name of his 'religion'. It's ridiclious that anyone would cower away from this, why is Scientology allowed to freak over this when all the other groups have pretty much taken it with a grain of salt (IE Mormons, Arabs, Asians, Christians, Etc, Etc)?
Mar 19, 2006
The show satirizes EVERYONE so why should Scientology be spared because it is endorsed by some uber-famous celebrity. The show has poked fun at Christianity, cripples, Asians, teachers, homosexuals, Jews, cosmetic surgeons, scientists, cops and the list continues on... In having no boundaries, they are a true example of intolerance.
Mar 19, 2006
The show makes fun of everything, and often in ways worse than they did with the scientology episode! If everyone on the cast and crew who it made fun of left the show, no one would be left. So cheers to the Parker and Stone for shrugging Isaac off.
Mar 19, 2006
I'm very disappointed in Isaac Hayes. People need to be able to laugh at themselves. If you really believe in fighting against religious intolerance, you should be fighting against ALL religious intolerance, not just your religion. That seems very prejudiced to me. The reason why South Park is so watchable is they ridicule everyone, no one is left unscathed. Once you start picking out groups you can't make fun of, that's when discrimination starts.
Mar 19, 2006
Well, well, well. Isaac Hayes is just a fool. Sorry but South Park makes fun out of everything and just at the point where his believe is in the clear field for shooting.

Scientology is a sect in church's clothing and they are really dangerous. They are messing with your head and if you wanna get out of the sect, they are threatening you. My cousin's exgirlfriend was in Scientology for a few years and she told me about her fight to get out of it.

I usually say, respect each other and each other's faith. But if they are hurting other's under the allowence of their religion, do whatever you want. As long as nobody is getting killed.

Scientology sucks - oh and I mean that.

Mar 19, 2006
"i think the person who made the second comment is terrible.scienctology,although it may seen laughable, IS a regilion[def. of religion-something people have faith in]and therefore deserves respect. you are absically calling catholism stupid!"

ok so if i've got faith in UFO it's mean that UFO are a religion, same with human right, the UN, technologie, save the planet, Lindsay Lohan...

and yes i think that catholism is stupid too, but it's a religion :)
Mar 19, 2006
All I can say is this...

Trey and Matt hit EVERYTHING in South Park. I dont think anything is left out. They tackled Catrina, they tackled The Pope, the Virgin Marry, Gays, Straights, Religion... wait... did I say religion? Isnt Scientology a Religion?

Parker and Stone hit everything thats in the media, and I was suprised it actually took them this long to do a Scientology episode. Especially in the way Mr. Cruise has been acting over the course of the year.

I dont think Cruise has the right to do what they have done, and if I was Parker and Stone... the first episode of South Park this season would be making fun of him... a sequal to the Scientology episode. What it comes down to is freedom of speech, and the fact that Mr. Cruise doesnt keep his personal life out of the public eye. If he had made all of this privately... then sure... South Park crossed the line... but he chose to be blatenly obvious about it, and thus... got his head on South Park.

The other thing... Hayes leaving... I think its childish. As I said in the first paragraph, they hit EVERYTHING... nothing is safe from the comedic wrath of South Park. South Park has offended me a dozen times, but I still find it down right hilarious... lol! Cuz I know that if they hit one subject, they have to do the other. They are only being fair.

I think thats all I have to say... made this longer than it really needed to be... lol
Mar 19, 2006
I love South Park. Who cares if they make fun of religion? It's not like they're making the facts about religion up. It's all true, and we all know it. It all depends on whether you'd see it as humor or offense.

I really don't see the big deal. Chef wasn't on every episode, he could just disappear, I wouldn't care. Or they could just find a replacement.

But Tom Cruise is a douche bag. If he cancels another commercial I am so gonna send hate mails to him >:(
Mar 19, 2006
South park is the best ever. =)
Also as for Tom Cruise

Saying your not gonna promote MI:3 oh no! god knows you spent enough time on Extra! and on the talk show circut promoting it, you shill.

Face it Tom, after the Navy took back their
F-14's your career crashed and burned, to me you are just some washed up 80's actor grasping at straws.

My advice, go Join Emilo Estevez and hide at the 80's to early 90's washed up actor's retirement home and maybe they will pay you to jump up on the couch like the a**clown you are and dance on it for their nickels!.
Mar 19, 2006
Kudos to Matt and Trey for not backing down.

As for you Issac, you are a dirty hypocrite like all your celebrity buddies. You didn't get mad when South Park poked fun at Catholics, Christians or Mormons, but when they set their sights on your religon that was dreamt up by some Gene Rodenberry wannabe, you quit. but why not quit when the episode was first played and not during the repeat?.

Because you quit over a bit of a crazy reason chances are like Dick Cheney, you are going to be fodder for Letterman, Leno, Conan O Brien, and probably next season Family Guy.

I hope that Seth McFarland and company see this little comment and Lampoon you to death!!

Victory will be theirs!