News Briefs: Jamie Lee Curtis, Justin Long, and Ashley Judd Have All Booked Pilots

SO MUCH CASTING NEWS BUT THIS IS THE BIGGEST SO WE'LL PUT IT UP TOP

... Jamie Lee Curtis is the latest addition to a long list of movie star who are ready to slum it on television, and will star in an untitled CBS pilot. The Halloween actress will play a physician and the mother of quadruplets who grew up on a reality show. Curtis recently did an arc on NCIS; her last regular TV role was in 1989's Anything But Love. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... The fifth season of A&E's Storage Wars will premiere March 18 at 9pm. That will be followed by the series premiere of something called Barry'd Treasure, which stars "eccentric" Storage Wars alum Barry Weiss as he drives across the country looking for collectibles. It's pretty cool that A&E got two franchises out of people digging through trash. All I got from digging through trash was scabies. [A&E via press release]

... Seth Meyers' debut as the host of Late Night with Seth Meyers was "kinda weak," said our own Jen Trolio, but still managed to draw an audience of 3.4 million viewers. That's up from the 2.8 million who watched Jimmy Fallon's debut as host of that same show in 2009. Hopefully those numbers will encourage NBC to spend a little money on the set. Did you see it? NBC spent more money on Fallon's suit. [NYT]

... The Entourage movie has a premiere date: June 12, 2015. I'm sure THAT's what the Mayans meant with their calendars. [Variety]

... Cary Fukunaga, who is currnetly blowing your mind weekly as the director for every episode of True Detective's first season, won't return to the show for Season 2. BOOOOOO! Instead, he'll be a big-time Hollywood director or something. C'mon Cary, what about us? BTW, True Detective hasn't yet been renewed for Season 2, but we all know it's coming. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Hallmark Channel has ordered the series The Good Witch based on the network's made-for-TV movie franchise. The 10-episode season will see Catherine Bell reprising her role as Cassandra Nightingale, a witch in a small town. Hallmark will release its seventh installment of The Good Witch franchise this October. [Deadline Hollywood]

MEGA-SIZED CASTING NEWS

... Justin "The Mac" Long (GalaxyQuest!!!) has been cast in the Fox comedy pilot Sober Companion as the titular sober companion. The pilot follows a lawyer who's saddled with a court-appointed sober companion to straighten out his life. Long's character is said to be one of those always happy weirdo types. [TV Line]

... Matt Lauria (Friday Night Lights) has put a Bohemian Elbow Lock on a lead role in DirecTV's mixed-martial-arts family drama Navy St. The show received a straight-to-series order of 10 episodes and is drawing comparisons to Friday Night Lights (umm, we'll see). Lauria will play a hot young stud who makes his living by punching people in the face. [TV Line]

... Arthouse auteur and semi-pro nudist Lena Dunham will host Saturday Night Live on March 8. It will be the Girls star's first outing as host, and we should all start taking bets on which Girls parody the episode will bring. Will it be Boys? Golden Girls? Ghouls? The musical guest will be The National who are super tight, yo. [NBC via press release]

... Greg Grunberg (Heroes) is joining ABC's medical drama pilot Warriors. Drawn from the real-life Walter Reed Military Medical Center, Warriors follows active-duty military docs as they practice medicine on the homefront. Grunberg will play a wheelchair-bound OBGYN. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Viola Davis has landed the plush lead role in the Shonda Rhimes-produced drama pilot How to Get Away With Murder. She'll play a criminal defense professor who, along with her students, gets involved in a murder plot. Sounds like a tough class! [TV Line]

... America's other sweetheart (after Reese Witherspoon, Julia Roberts, and Mario Lopez) Ashley Judd is feeling the spirit of the Holy Ghost! Judd has boarded NBC's pilot Salvation, a family drama centered on a clan that runs a megachurch. Judd will play the mom. [Variety]

... Skeet Skeet Skeet Ulrich is coming back from the dead! Fake literally! Ulrich will play two roles in NBC's drama pilot Babylon Fields—which was originally set up at CBS in 2007 and is another series about the dead coming back to life but not totally eating everyone in sight. Ulrich will play a set of twins, a priest and a dead junkie who crawls out of his grave. [TV Line]

... The Supernatural spin-off pilot Supernatural: Tribes that's coming to The CW has found its top dog. Sean Faris, who plays Officer Gabriel Holbrook on Pretty Little Liars, will play Julian Durant, the son of a wealthy and powerful werewolf family; Faris joins Nathaniel Buzolic and Lucien Laviscount in the cast. The planted pilot for Tribes will be tested in April as the 20th episode of Supernatural's current season. [TV Line]

... Law & Order: SVU has some excellent stunt casting in its future. Katie Couric will guest-star in the March 19 episode as a talk-show host who questions a controversial newspaper journalist, and that journalist will be portrayed by guest-star Alec Baldwin. The episode will be directed by series star Mariska Hargitay. Eat her alive, Alec! [THR]

Ooh Sean Faris is cute, good choice! And those are major guest-stars on a super long running show like SVU, I'm excited for that episode now.
I kept reading "The Good Wife" instead of "Witch".
Be fair, Seth Meyers' set budget all went into building the intergalactic wormhole generator he was standing in front of during the monologue. Who thought a Stargate was a good idea for set dressing?

SNL is so creatively-starved, the parody will be "Girls" with no changes.

I've seen Katie Couric act, she's so wooden, even playing a talk show host. I suspect SVU will not make that work.
I hope Lena Dunham does a sketch on SNL with Blerta, the Girls character Tina Fey played when she hosted the first episode of the season!
I love that Hallmark is making a series out of The Good Witch. I like that they are doing more series now - they are so cosy! Cedar Cove was nice. :)
I'm glad to see that Skeet Ulrich will be back on my TV screen!!!
I think that, since HBO hasn't renewed True Detective yet, it's because it wants to renwed it for more than one season...if you catch my drift.
It's a shame that Fukunaga won't be returning to True Detective.
I was kinda hoping that Greg Grunberg would make a few cameo appearances on Heroes: Reborn but if his new pilot gets ordered to series, then I guess there'll be no chance of him returning.
I tend to think of a lot of the shows on tv these days as an acting credit, if its good then the actor or actress should do it before another crappy movie. The talent on tv is chock full of A-listers these days, and it is making new stars faster than the movies. It may not pay as well but it keeps them working and that means a lot. So I don't think it is a step down for anyone to go to TV if the show is good.
And I always liked Justin Long when ED was on, so that is good news too.
I think the reason that TV is chock full of A-listers is a repercussion from the 2008 WGA writers strike. With an extended period of no writing, a lot of A-list stars couldn't get work and started taking whatever they could, and we're still seeing a lack of scripts for stars while big name actors need to keep their brands alive in the public eye, not to mention earn some dough.
JLC is such an obnoxious cunt in real life - as she herself has admitted, well, maybe not the cunt part - it's hardly surprising she hasn't been in much of late. Cast members are quick to out 'offensive' counterparts at the drop an **** bomb to get them fired and, so unless she's had a full frontal lobotomy...tick...tick...BOOM!
The last thing I liked Jamie Lee Curtis in was 'True Lies'. It's a shame they never made that into a franchise. Not sure I'll watch her new series. I didn't think she was that great in her NCIS appearances.
Why would you say Jamie Lee Curtis is "slumming" it when nothing she has done was really all that critically acclaimed or Oscar worthy? She's been doing yogurt commercials for the last year! TV is actually a big step up. I like her and sort of wondered why she has never done a great series or continued to up her game, so to speak, with her movie career. My guess is that she had family considerations and she apparently did some children's book writing, but still.

What late, late night talk show ever had a bigger budget than the one leading in? Look at Ferguson.

I watched those Good Witch films and they are OK. I hope all of the original cast returns, as they have been all doing the films. However, I believe they never actually revealed if she is an actual witch. It's only implied, but mostly she seems intuitive and somewhat wise. The series really needs to delve into that to be more in-depth, for starters. Right now I think it cheats viewers by not being more than what it is, or not really about a true witch.

I really wish there were enough actual twin brothers and sisters in Hollywood to play, well, twins. Seeing the Carver brothers on Teen Wolf is nice, but Ringer, Liv and Maddie (Disney - I've seen, but don't watch), and now Babylon Fields casting a singular actor kind of bugs me. Actual twin seems more realistic and probably fun for the twin themselves to be in together, which altogether, for me, makes it more interesting to watch.
Sounds like the Good Witch film makers have been looking at Witches of the East End 'mini' making it and are now thinking on that to push their hand. But supernatural tv is going mental of late with so many shows. You can barely turn on the tv on now without falling over a witch, werewolf, vampire, shape shifter, demon...
I liked Witches of East End better. Good Witch is more superficial than supernatural, which is why I think they need to define who Bell's character really is, if anything. Right now, it's mainly just a light, somewhat likeable, family drama involving a somewhat mysterious ethereal woman who marries a widower with two kids who is also the town sheriff.

One could say the same of cop shows, broken family / single parent shows, etc. One thing I've noticed is the lack of medical dramas.
Yes. On the oft chance you're not being satirical about medical dramas, Canadian now tv has Remedy and UK tv has the ever present Casualty and Holby City - assuming UK tv isn't too 'slow' for you, as some US watchers find it.
Oh and I too liked Witches... a lot. A welcome diversion. Reminds me of the Charmed days I'd go out and get fish n chips in time to come home and dine with the two. :)
This comment has been removed.
Viola Davis is awesome. &3 I love her and I will watch anything with her in it.

I like Sean Faris (aka Dino Whitman) so I am glad he also got a regular tv role again. Jon Foster and Chris Lowell should join this show just to make my dream of a life as we know it reunion come true.
I'm now very conflicted about season 2 of True Detective. Season 1 has so far been one of the finest pieces of awesome ever to appear on television, but losing the two leads and the director is really going to hurt that show. The acting and direction have so far just been completely unmatched, and I don't know how a different group of people will be able to keep that up. Should they pull it off, I will adore this show for all time, though.
is that confirmed? that mcconaghey and harrelson are out?
It was confirmed before airing that each season will have a completely different setting, cast, and story. I doubt they'll be back as acting leads, but they may well be back as executive producers. The real question everyone should be asking is will Nic Pizzolatto be back as the sole writer?
I don't really want to watch an SNL with Lena Dunham, but I definitely will be watching The National songs, because The National are fucking awesome!