Jericho takes a break

The eye is taking a cue from the alphabet.

CBS has announced it is splitting its freshman serial Jericho into two parts--what the network is calling "seasons"--similar to what ABC has done with Lost. Jericho's first "season" will conclude with a cliffhanger on November 29, after which time the show will go off the air, returning February 21 with an all-new "season" of unbroken new episodes.

CBS will will prep viewers with a February 14 Jericho recap show. The new Jericho episode on the February 21 will show what life was like in the small town the day prior to the nuclear attack.

CBS hopes to keep Jericho's ratings momentum by creating a Jericho microsite at the network's Innertube broadband Web site. The site will include episode streams, original content, interactive elements, recaps, and sneak previews.

Jericho is averaging 11.08 million weekly viewers, with a 3.4 rating in adults 18-49.

ABC's Lost is leaving the airwaves following tonight's episode, returning February 7. The network said it was doing so to combat fan complaints that reruns ruined the experience of the serialized show. The new Taye Diggs drama Day Break will reside in the time slot being vacated by Lost.

I really like this show. It has romance, mystery, and action. Love it.
What about the people that missed the first or second show. We don't get to watch it in re-run. Also I find that by watching a re-run I catch up on stuff I may have missed the first time around. Everyone is right this is just stupid. You would think that CBS would be smarter. DUH!!
Even though a new season would be great, i really can't understand why they would want to split a season in half so you get 9 episodes and then a 10 week break and then another 9 or so!!!! It's really pissing me off!!! They've done this with so many good shows int he past and the shows have always failed in the 2nd season part and had to be cancelled!!! Why are they sooo stupid that they would try this again when it's kinda obvious it won't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I'm also heaps upset tat i'm gonna hav 2 wait ages 2 see Jericho again!!!!:D
I hate to see it gone for so long, too. I look soo forward to Wednesday night just for this show. I love all the characters and the story line but can't stand the thought of losing it for several weeks. Just a note about one thing in the story, I hate the idea of Jake and the blonde. He's much too good for her.
well it is like lost trying to make them fail so that can rule the world and make us watch what they whant.
This is stupid. It's going to lose ratings when it comes back. People are going to find a different show to watch. I have watched many great shows that fill up the whole year, september-may and not take a break, yeah they might have a repeat every now and then, but not take a 10 week break.. STUPID IDEA!!!
This is a totally stupid idea! I watch this show every week, and I watch other good shows, but this is the only show that makes me want the week to go by fast, not caring about all the other shows, just to watch the next episode. Now they are taking off the air for 10 weeks?? This show is averaging 11.08 million viewers. Thats pretty good for a new show, and because its going to go off for that long, its going to suck when it comes back on. Who cares about a repeat every now and then, but you don't have to take the whole show off for that long. I know that when it comes back on, not as many people are going to watch it, because they found a different show on a better channel than CBS.. This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard of.
What a wretched idea! I have three words for the moron who thought up this brainstorm...."Commander In Chief." ABC destroyed "CIC" last year with their "hiatus" nonsense, since they didn't even advertise it upon its return and virtually killed it. I can picture the same thing happening now. Gee, I have an idea...why not produce MORE episodes so the show actually lasts all season long? It worked in the 50s and 60s and 70s and 80s when shows produced more than a measly 22 episodes a year.
So is there a rule that "What Happened to Us" Dramas have to go off the air during the winter? This is ridiculous. With Lost off the air, this is Jericho's time to shine in popularity (even thought they're on at different times.)

I'm frustrated at Lost, and now I'm concerned about Jericho. I don't want to see my new favorite show disappear before it even has a chance.
That's a stupid idea to put us wait so long...
Why are they doing this. It's the best new show of the season. They did this to Commander and Cheif and look what happended to that show. Move the show to and easier time slot build it's viewership. Keep plugging it on innertube. Learn how to use the media you have network
I can't believe they're doing this. I used to watch Lost and now I'm so lost that I can't stand it. I love Jericho and really don't want to see the same thing happen to it, or worse, have it canceled due to low ratings. You can let CBS know how you feel on the matter by going to cbs.com/feedback. I told them how I feel about the new "season" and encourage everyone else to also, maybe they'll change their minds if they get a huge response to pulling it early.
Why are they doing this, the show is going along nicely. It has people's attention. It's a new show and now you are going to keep us hanging until February. What is the purpose in that? Accept loosing audience when it comes back. You know how fickle people are.
Why can't these lazy bums make 31 episodes per year, the way they used to, before they had the ease of computerized editing and fx. With 31 episodes, you wouldn't have this problem. And they could charge more for their DVDs too.
I think this idea sucks. People might forget about the show during hiatus or not be able to watch it in February for whatever reasons.I think it is definitely going to lose viewers as a result of this. :-(
wish they would repeat them ABC is doing the same with LOST !!!! this is stupid
i'm ok with these shows taking a break like this but i think it's a mistake to take the show completely off the air, they should just re-start the season over in order 2 get new viewers on board who were watching shows that have been cancelled.
brtsgrl makes a great point. I'm afraid American Idol will take away a lot of Jericho's viewers come February. As good as Jericho is it can't compete against AI. The problem is Dec/Jan is a ratings black hole. viewership is way down with the holidays, football, etc...so it makes the most sense to this and they also probably wanted to mirror Lost's schedule since they have a similar fan base. But AI will hurt. With that said, I'm not 100% sure why Jericho is doing the split season but Lost received millions of complaints from viewers that the show was too hard to follow with it only airing every other week or so with re runs mixed in last year. The producers wanted to do it ala 24 with 23 straight episodes but ABC balked because they wanted it to be on their fall schedule. The compromise was a few episodes in Fall and the rest starting in Feb 07.
Jericho is following aspects of LOST. Breaking up the season (LOST is doing 7 and 16 vs. 11 and 11 for Jericho) and they are creating something like the LOST Experience for break in between. More and more shows are doing things this way, its a new trend. How effective it is wont be known for some time. I do like the idea better than having breaks with re-runs every 4 or 5 episodes for serial dramas like LOST and Jericho. They are cooking a cliff hanger for episode 11 and there are no details at all on it. I wonder how long it will take for details to leak? They must be filming it right now, so it shouldnt be long.
When does American Idol return? Maybe the Jericho people want to avoid that show. The stupid 'reality' shows get crazy ratings and it has been hurting them going against the dancing show of fools.
I agree that having a bunch of reruns throughout the season is a big turnoff, but so is a 3 month or whatever hiatus. What these cliffhanger shows really need to do is follow what 24 has done - wait until January before airing episode 1 of the new season. If you did this, you could successfully have 2 shows in 1 timeslot without reruns: August-December = 20 weeks; January-May = 20 weeks.
A regular season for most series is 22 episodes. That's 4 weeks short of half a year. If the 22 episodes are shown consecutively without any reruns, fillers, or breaks, then the network can rerun the entire season again after the finale and still have 8 weeks for special shows (sports, breaking news, etc). Alternatively, the networks can have another show running instead of rerunning the old show.

In either case I don't get the "wisdom" behind splitting a season in two and risking losing your audience in the process.
When will the nets learn the simple lesson to not use reruns as filler or divide successful shows into "seasons." I really don't understand the logic behind all this. Adjusting the viewing seasons like the cable nets have done seems a better way to go. This way they get to round robin shows and not take a severe beating if one proves to be not the ratings smash they anticipate. I just hope Jericho will not suffer from this copycat mentality that CBS is exhibiting. There really aren't too many good shows on this season.
I have a nasty feeling this will back fire and people won't come back or it'll be up against a ratings monster and be cancelled. Itwas doing great where it is.

If it ian't broke, don't fix it
Ok..Take your time, Jericho.
Not good for me, hate being put on hold.
Y'know, they stole this idea from Sci-Fi after last year when they split SG-1, Atlantis and BSG in half. They did it again this year with SG-1 and Atlantis, but not BSG, only because it really ticked off people to have to wait four months to see new episodes.

If you ask me, they should take a cue from 24 and run the complete season uninterrupted starting in January. This tactic also seems to work for shows like Doctor Who.
wow what will we watch till feb with prison break lost and jerico leaving till then oh my
I hope it works out for them... Just remeber what happened to Commander and Chief last year. Thats was a ratings smash early on, it took a hiatus and got cancelled because they couldn't get their viewers back. People get into routines and with the ability to watch things over the internet and on DVD they might just take the show for granted and it could just fade away... The same thing happened with Surface and Invasion.
Jericho is now my next favorite tv show next to prison break

I love it so much! My eyes get glued to the tv screen. Do they HAVE to split the season?? It has only been 8 episodes! They cant do this. :( I am sad.
I love this
I love the show Jericho. I don't think that CBS thought that the show was going to be such a hit with people. I seen Skeet in an interview this morning and he was thrilled that the show was picked up for an actual full season. The actors actually get to give input into what is going into the characters. What a different approach to writing television. I am glad that I get to watch the show again on innertube.com
Lost, now Jericho. I don't like the idea of breaking up a TV season into two parts. Maybe it time that the New TV season begins in January instead of September.
wow, thats a long break

it returns on my b-day!! sweet
maybe a good idea but ou never know
Well, if Lost can pull it off, clearly Jericho can too. Go Ashley Scott go!!
Hate to see it take a break like this, but hey, at least it isn't getting canceled. There is something weird about Jericho, it does seem a lot like LOST, but unlike LOST, Jericho's mysteries are already being hinted at and some solved, while LOST drags the questions on into another season (Which is a "real" season and not a break, mind you) and doesn't solve them until...god knows when. I still hear there is a mystery from Season 1 on Lost that still remains unsolved? Wow. Come on. 3 Seasons? What is this?

Hopefully Jericho doesn't rerun, 9 episodes isn't enough.

Some shows like LOST suffer that way.

And you wonder why 24 became such a hit?

They wait until January, and all through May, FOX takes Monday's audience from every other network.

I'm also a big fan of "The Closer" and when it returns at it's new time in December, I'm going to have to record it or catch the replay.
They are smart to keep the connection between Jericho and Lost. I am a fan of Lost as well and watching these shows back to back is great!!!
Probably a good move. This will keep the show fresh and keep viewers tuned in and build anticipation for the "2nd" part of the season to start. In a drama like this their is nothing more annoying then repeats mixed in with new episodes. feb-may of 2007 is going to be great. new episodes every week of Lost, Jericho and the return of The Sopranos for the final episodes! Wow!