J.J. Abrams erecting Dark Tower?

And child J.J. to the Dark Tower came.

The Lost creator is reportedly in talks to possibly produce and/or direct a film version of Stephen King's epic book series The Dark Tower. A Tower movie has been rumored since the first novel was released in 1982, but the epic scope of the project has hindered many efforts.

The fantasy/Western book series spans seven novels as it tells the story of the last gunslinger--Rolande, a knight who protected the fabled land of Gilead--who wanders a postapocalyptic alternate universe in a quest to destroy the Dark Tower and the evil that dwells within it. Along the way, he collects a ragtag band of followers from various dimensions and time periods.

According to Hollywood Reporter, King is hoping a filmmaker with a strong vision can help the process along. The author is a self-professed fan of Lost and Abrams.

I've greatly enjoyed the books of the Dark Tower series and although I feel the movies would probably be a let down after reading the books but I still believe they should be made. But as for the names being thrown around I'm not sure I can agree with them . If I'm not mistaken and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am but wasn't Eddie Dean only 21 when he was pulled from New York and Odetta 23 . Although they can make an actor look older then they are I still find it difficult wrapping my mind around 40 yr old Ed Norton playing 21 yr old Eddie. Or I heard Gina Torres as Odetta who is also 40 . But in saying all this the choices are subjective to each persons personal view of the book. Now for my own shot at trying to find good characters for the roles in my mind
Roland could be played by Daniel Day Lewis is role in There will Be Blood and Gangs of New York make me believe or even Tommy Lee Jones .

Eddie Dean could be played by Ryan Gosling and the roles in Half Nelson and the Believer lead me to this conclusion
"in a quest to destroy the Dark Tower and the evil that dwells within it."

Heh
I’m still sold on Thomas Haden Church as Roland, or at least a lesser known actor like Michael Biehn. Actors like Christian Bale, Viggo M., Clive Owen, Hugh Jackman, they have been in every action adventure movie out lately and although I like them, it’s getting a little tiresome. Ed Norton should obviously play Eddie Dean, in fact I will be upset if he doesn’t. Michael Wincott should play Walter(the man in black, the pusher, Randall Flagg?was he also Marten?,-- I know he was a shape shifter, I don't think it was ever very clear, but I liked that). I’ve seen some pictures floating around the net of Thomas Haden Church and he looks a lot like Roland of Gilead, and Johnny Depp should play Calvin Tower. Other than that, I’m happy J.J. Abrams is doing it, I think if anyone could pull it off it would be him. Of course it will never replace my own personal 19 year journey reading them. Peace Ka-babies! P.S. Viggo is Aragorn (Stryder the ranger from the north). Since The Dark Tower is SK's Lord of The Rings inspired tale I don't think Aragorn should be in it, or maybe he should I don't know, but just take a look at Thomas Haden Church he's "long, tall and ugly," and he has those Roland eyes.
OK, so upon further thought... My wife had mentioned that she thought that Viggo Mortenson should play Roland. At first I dismissed the thought, not that I don't like him, I do, and very much actually, I just didn't see it. After seeing some recent pictures of him though, and considering some of his work, I agree, he's perfect for the part. And, just today, I was talking with a friend about it and he told me that apparently Dee Snider thinks so to, for whatever that's worth. Also, I agree with whoever it was that posted below that Edward Norton should play Eddie.
I just happy that they're not going to let that hack Mick Garris butcher it!
There's no way this should be done on network TV. The essence of Stephen King's work would be lost. It needs at least cable but I think it would be best if they made a movie for each book.

As far as casting goes, probably the most important part, I think Susannah should absolutely be played by Rosario Dawson.
I was fortunate. I waited to read these books after they were finished. Nonstop, start to finish, no long waits. Everyone's going to have their actor/actress preferences and disagree with whoever I'd choose. But I admit, while reading, Haley Joel Osment just poured into the Jake character, and Halle Berry was instantaneously the face of Susannah/Detta-Odetta. Often my first image of a character is later contradicted further into the read, but the Dark Tower pressed on to compliment more and more these personas in my mind's eye. And by the way, no it wouldn't be impossible to do these films, though clearly more than one is needed.

Film 1 could actually run all the way to the scene of drawing Jake from the monster house in The Wastelands. When you people speak of all the story getting skipped, what you really mean is a whole lot of footage of gunslingers walking. And walking. And walking. Film 2 gets to the city of Lud fairly early, then Blaine the Mono, skip the whole backstory from Wizard and Glass and go straight through to the end of Wolves of the Calla. Admit it, that's not impossible. Then the final film covers books 6 and 7. You're asking, what about Wizard and Glass? Who cares? What was so important about this story? The introduction of Sheemie, a meager returning role in the last book? Honestly, Wizard and Glass could be cut from the series and no one would notice. Do a tv mini-series of it if fans insist it's so important, but I don't.
Okay who wrote this story on the Dark Tower, Roland was never on a mission to destroy the Tower, duh??? Who should play Roland? If I were casting The Dark Tower, this would be my choices;

Roland-- Thomas Haden Church
Eddie Dean -- Edward Norton
Susannah, Odetta Holmes, Detta Walker, Mia --Jada Pinkett Smith
Jake--(?) an unknown
Oy-- CGI

and some misc. casting ideas;
Calvin Tower -- Johnny Depp
Walter O' Dim (also known as the man in black, the pusher and randy flagg) -- Michael Wincot
Walter as Randy Flagg-- Peter Fonda
Pere Callahan -- Randy Quaid
Rhea of Coos -- Helena Bohnam Carter
Blaine-- Peter Cullen, James Earl Jones
Sheemie--Andy Serkis
Henry Dean-- Steve Buscemi
wow alot of comments here, I'm not too familiar with the books themselves but anything JJ touches turns to gold same with king, so we could be on to something really truly amazing.
Considering the problem that "Wizard and Glass" raises, this would likely best be done as a miniseries of sorts. I mean, as far as movies go, it could easily be done as a 6 or 7 movie seriers (think "Harry Potter"), but going to see the continuation of the story, and instead getting what "Wizard and Glass" offers, would likely disappoint many movie-goers. But alot of the information from "Wizard and Glass" becomes pertinant come time for the last book, so it can't be totally forgotten. So, yes, this would most likely be best done as a mini-series, and instead of following the flow of the books to the letter, maybe set up the stories of "Wizard and Glass" as a series of flashbacks that come to Roland from time to time, so that Susan's and Sheemie's stories are told, but in a way as to not interrupt the feel of progress.

I wouldn't mind having a go at writing this adaptation...

And I most certainly wouldn't mind getting a role in it...
They have to make this into a MOVIE, not a mini-series. They would need the budget of a movie to make this work. Plus I would not want to see no name actors play the parts of Roland, The Man in Black, Eddie, Jake, Susannah, Cort, etc.

It might be bad, but it could be great. If it is bad, who cares, you can always go back and read the books to get that feeling back. But imagine if it were great, how awesome that would be.

I think they could get away with combining the first two books into one 3 hour movie. Also, I think they could leave out Wizard & Glass. I thoroughly enjoyed the book but since it deals with Roland's childhood I don't think it is necessary to tell the main story of the Dark Tower.

I know this isn't a great example, but look at Star Wars. That was originally 9 books and they did 6 of the movies (7 if you count that one they made with the Ewoks, but I don't consider that a "Star Wars" movie). I know the most recent 3 were slammed but I still found them enjoyable. Definitely not as good as 4, 5, & 6, but the point is that it could be done.
I'm not sure how to react to this.

I was a big Dark Tower fan, but post-accident books were really bad. Especially the last one.

I'm not sure how could you translate DT to screen. I'd actually prefer if they changed the story significantly, but preserved the atmosphere and tone. That would be awesome.
King's genius is in creating terrifying visions in your mind. No film or tv series can ever match up to these visions and thats why his books rarely work on screen.
Most King stories need more time than they are given for visual adaptation. This is why the films and mini-series never live up to the novels.
I agree. This would most definitely be better as a miniseries instead of a movie. They leave too much necessary material out of movies because they don't want it running too long. I say I want a 6 hour movie because I want to see all of the content. I think they should bring intermissions back!!! Anyway I think that if they decide to do a miniseries- he's got to put it on SciFi! They do things right on that station. They would do it justice and not mess it up. SciFi rocks!!!!!
this series of books definitely needs to be a tv mini-series to actually be able to put everything from the books. a movie is too short to put 7 books into. i would hate to see such a great book series turned into a terrible movie like so many others already have.
This would definitely have to be a trilogy. I'm still working on the fourth book, and it's great. I hope it doesn't come out for a few years at least though. I also don't think Abrams should do it.
I agree. There's too much detail to strip it down.

They've stripped down the comic book and it doesn't really work unless you've read the novels. A film or series is just too much really, the just about got away with it with The Dead Zone but only because it had a simple story to base it on.

You'd need a mega budget to do it and I don't think there's a large enough audience to make any returns.
It's too great and detailed of a story to put into a movie. Especially one - like everyone else said you'd lose so much, it would ruin it for the people that haven't read the series yet. They would be confused by the butchered movie. It'll take a lot of planning and vision to do these books justice.
NO NO NO!! I love the books but there is just no way that they could be made into even a series of movies, yet alone one. The size and scope of the story is just far to large to for movies to do anything other then hurt it.
I would like to see some other candidates.
OK - it might just be me cuz I read The Dark Tower a loooooong time ago; but didn't that series first introduce Randall Flagg (from "The Stand", his later book and TV Movie(s)?
I like JJ Abrams' work a lot and I love the Dark Tower, but I just don't know if this will be such a good idea... it might ruin it. Then again, the film version of Lord of the Rings only enhanced my joy of the books, so who knows?
Yup, the movie thing is just too great for the fans of the Dark Tower series. It would be better if it is animated and have scenes like graphic novels wherein the start of every scene is in black and white with a few colored highlights. This would probably take awhile to finish but it would give justice to the series rather than have a full-blown movie of movie series. Or it can be showed like the animation done in the ANIMATRIX where different types of animation were done to show the stories conencted to the Matrix.

May I suggest for Detta/Odetta/Susannah character to be played by Gina Torres of the Firefly series. In the first book, it seems that Roland wants to find and then destroy the Dark Tower. But as the story goes, readers found out that Roland just wants to find the Dark Tower and save it from the destruction courtesy of the Crimson King.
WTF?! Who wrote the synopsis for The Dark Tower. It's wrong. Oh yeah, don't you dare touch the books. They're better in their original and graphic novel forms.
well fellow stephen king fans.... there goes another one...*sigh* if were lucky only the first book will be brutilized
Please nooooooooooo! I just wnat thease charecters in my head. I don't want them diluted by actors on the screen. Just let us have our imagination. At least in this instance. Word.
It could be done. It could even be great. It would be very very hard to do the books justice. Truthfully, though, the first and second books could probably be compressed into a single 3-hour movie. Each of the others simply have too much action, and would need to be a full 3-hour film on their own.
The Dark Tower is begging HBO style treatment. I think the biggest obstacle is casting, not working the story for screen. I mean, whoever played Detta/Odetta/Susannah Dean could make or break the whole thing.
I Agree. This can't be a single movie without cutting it to the core.
I am in love with the series, and the only thing that could possibly satisfy me is a 7-film series.
I agree with Lawrencevanrijn completely
I agree with those who claim that the idea is bad. I have nothing against the concept, but 3 hours just will not cut it. This seems to be a possible sci-fi channel solution like Dune was. A movie that is 9-12 hours at least. which comes to a 9 part version of 90 minutes each. JJ is however the one person who could make this a titanic success. But before that, why not 'the Talisman' first. I loved that one.
JJ and King sound like a great combination!!
I don't think it would be very good, I think that the book is great, but doing into a three hour (max.) movie will be very rush and very strange to watch if you haven't seen them. I think a TV series will be best...
It should be a movie series rather than one movie. There are so very many details that would be left out. Even if a great director did the movie it would leave out so much it wouldn't matter.

If you are going to write about the Great Stephen King, at least get you story right. It's Roland, not Rolande, you should know since it gave me spell check on Rolande. Plus, he is trying to save the Dark Tower not destroy it. To whomever wrote that article----Have you even read the Dark Tower series, I mean seriously if you are going to write an article get your story write. A new low for tv.com.
It would be possible to pull this off over several years, with *many* episodes per book. It would probably make a better series of mini-series than a movie or two. It's just too... big.
It's spelt ROLAND and he's not on a quest to destroy the Dark Tower, he's on a quest to SAVE IT!

The reporting is getting increasingly lazy on this site.
Can't wait
expanding on earlier entries, given the scope of this project, animate the entire thing, using Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, and make it 23 hours long
The best way to make this story work would be to animate it.
OMG! That's a dream come true. I can't imagine who would play the parts though!
JJ can do it.
The prevailing argument that King isn't readily adaptable to the big screen has the same myopic take as those who think science fiction equals trash. In SF, if you are successful, you might get categorized outside the SF bookshelf. Take Crichton, for example. Or Vonnegut. Yes, Darabont's Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile are two prominent examples. Rob Reiner's Stand by Me and Misery are widely acknowledged as good. Some would argue that De Palma's Carrie was a good adaptation (7.3 rating on IMDB isn't awful). Kubrick's The Shining was a good movie, albeit not faithful to the book. And I'm not alone in liking Cronenberg's The Dead Zone. There's also some TV adaptations that are likable: The Stand and the Harlan Ellison adaptation of "Gramma" for the 80's incarnation of the Twilight Zone are standouts. Notice a pattern? Good King movies = good creative folk behind the camera. Personally, I'd like to see HBO or Showtime develop a series of series based off King's Dark Tower novels, much as they are developing George RR Martin's a Song of Fire and Ice--Each season of episodes would adapt one book. And JJ would make a find showrunner. Just please don't let whoever made "Kingdom Hospital" have anything to do with it.
A film would be cool & JJ Abrams sounds like a good choice but Roland wants to see the Dark Tower at the centre of all universes and save it from The Crimson King & his minions who are the ones who want to destroy it.

Nice to see accuracy important as ever to TV.com
I really hope they don't do that. The only two fair King's adaptations that i know of are The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The Dark tower are King's opus magna. In order to enjoy and understand it fully, one had had to read all his books before, because of the references, even some characters that appears in it. Damned, if even appears King himself! Hollywood it's not capable to do a fairly decent translation from the seven books to a possible film franchise. Have for sure that they will screw up! It's too much material, and too complex to adapt. I liked the Harrry Potter example that i read up here. The movies are much less greater than the books. I really hope that King re-thinks selling the rights. If cannot be a decent and good adaptation, like Shawshank, better not be at all.
MrGaunt: tranqui, que se te entiende perfectamente.
Can't wait.
Please No. This is too loong a story for a Movie, and too detailed to last on TV.

It was a great book series, keep it that way. And no quest to destory the tower. Who ever wrote this obviously didn't read the books.
I am on Wizard and Glass and have thought about how a movie could be done. You would have to have the perfect cast and crew to pull it off. 7 movies is alot to span not to mention a lot of the books are 600 pages plus which means 2 long for a movie.

As much as I would love this to happen everything owuld have to be just right for it to be good which I am afraid they will screw it up.

Also it's Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came and it's Roland not Rolande lol
Colin Mahan. Roland is on a quest to save The Dark Tower not destroy it you silly man.
Load More Comments