J.J. Abrams talks about Star Trek XI

When Paramount decided J.J. Abrams would produce the next Star Trek film, it knew it had beamed up a fanboy's best friend.

Abrams' show Lost, which finished the season number 14 overall, has developed a devoted fan following. Called "Losties," they are reminiscent of Trek fans' "trekkers."

In this month's issue of British movie magazine Empire, Abrams talks about his plans for Star Trek and the pitfalls of taking on a beloved franchise.

"We've made a pact not to discuss any specifics," he tells Empire. "But Star Trek is something I grew up with and love. I feel there's still a great movie to be made, another proud chapter in the history of Star Trek. We've got a lot of exciting new ideas."

Abrams admits that he has been remiss of late in keeping up with the aging franchise.

"To be totally honest with you...I haven't even seen [the most recent Star Trek film], Nemesis," laughs Abrams. "I feel like the series disconnected for me at a certain period, and though I will have to watch and see everything that was done, I want to see what not to do as much as anything. But as someone who works on a show that has a very loyal and vocal fan base, I do understand the need to be respectful. I think we can do the fans proud."

Abrams says that original reports that said the storyline of Star Trek XI would involve early adventures of Kirk and Spock were wrong, but he adds, "Those characters are so spectacular. I just think that...you know, they could live again."

On May 6, the Abrams-directed Mission Impossible: III was released. The Tom Cruise action film has grossed over $120 million at the US box office so far.

Hopfully his movie will be just as good :)....
What attracted me to ST was the exploration of the human condition by observing "foreign" cultures.
A great example was "Friday's Child". That was the episode that hooked me.
ST: Enterprise "almost" got it right in its final episodes, with the exploration of the conflicts and resolutions between the future members of the Federation.
The flaw in many theatrical ST treatments, is the necessity to over dramatize everything, which doesn't bode well for exploring subtle features of an alien culture and its people.
Babylon 5 got it right, and all glory to JMS.
Not only did we get exploration of foreign and alien ideas, we also got inside alien characters, as they were introduced, changed, and matured into their destinies.
In this case, it might be better to forego a movie, and try to resurrect a TV series or TV mini series movie based on 'going where no man has gone before'.
Hopefully, the franchise will get away from the "protagonist archetype" story mode.
Sentient lifeforms deserve better.
Although J.J. Abrams may be an accomplished creator of some fine television, another Star Trek movie is not his vehicle.

If Star Trek gets another movie, which I personally believe it should not, it should get movie treatment. That is, a deserving movie director should take the helm. Not a sci-fi fan, not a Star Trek buff and certainly not someone from TV.

Furthermore, although there is the potential to make some money internationally on another Star Trek movie, there is really no point. If Star Trek should exist again, UPN should produce a high-production made for TV movie every three months. These 'moviesodes' would not need to follow one another and they would not even need to have the same cast. It's a fresh idea that could harness what's left in the Star Trek universe better than any feature film can.
It would have been so cool do have a young spock and a young Kirk but I guess he knows what he is doing. Yeah I also think Whedon could have done this
I hope the new star trek movie just has Kirk and Spock drifting through space on a couple of intergalactic horses, dressed as cowboys and chewing tobacco talking about what a simpler time it used to be when they didnt have to wear these cowboy hats.
I think what Star Trek needs more than anything is to remember the vision Gene Roddenberry had nurture it. Although SFX are now expected moreso than storyline in cinema, they need to go back to the orginial story telling of people and cultures. Abrams LOST is storytelling at its best, so I look forward to what he has in mind.
I am more than happy, to see Mr. Abram's comments on the STrek franchise ressurection in his capable hands. It's extremely nice to know that Abrams is a ST fan, and that coming from him, {not just from the rumor mill} in his own words and I quote,
"But Star Trek is something I grew up with and love. I feel there's still a great movie to be made, another proud chapter in the history of Star Trek. We've got a lot of exciting new ideas." Most of the ST fans, which I admit to, and a long-running one at that are as pleased as punch to get some new blood and fresh ideas on board this long-lived saga! It deserves the best and the fans deserve respect, for their loyalty, which over the last few years they haven't been getting. I surely agree with Mr. Abrams that there is definitely another great movie there to be made. There are appx. 700+ episodes of Trek series, as well as 10 movies of Star Trek, with endless avenues to pursue in an 11th movie. As for as the "Losties", well I am already one of those, despite my busy life. It's one of very few series, I thoroughly enjoy. I am glad that after each season of Lost that it is coming out on DVD. I've already gotten Season (1), absolutely intend to collect all seasons of this intriguing series. It shows fine imagination, and very good writing, directing and acting. I am very pleased that Mr. Abrams can see that perhaps "Kirk and Spock" could "live again". That would be very nice to see one more appearance of Shatner and Nimoy, {as well as some of the other characters} before they are gone too. Even if the whole movie wasn't centered around them, it still would be great to see them one more time! At any rate J.J. Abrams, this is one Star Trek fan that is elated to know you are on board the Star Ship Trek! Maybe, just maybe Star Trek will get the respect it surely deserves!
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
i wish he would concentrate on making ONE series actually really really good instead of making a lot of promising looking series that turn out mediocre.
Hopefully his installment of star trek will be better than MI3 which was good but not great...
Yawn...boring!
I am a huge fan of TOS but it is time to let it go... Enterprise was seemed to be a failure because it rewrote some history... I agree that a follow-up on DS9 might work with some TNG and Voyager thrown in. It;s hard to let go but we need to move forward and let TOS be the foundation for future shows or movies.
I am relieved to hear that he is not planning another prequel ... Berman should figure out by now the prequel concept is flawed and just downright sucks.

He should definately consider the possibility of integrating TNG/DS9 and Voyager into the movie. The way Nemesis ended, left it wide open for a sequel, with B-4 starting to process and assimiltate the download from Data. As we saw in the TNG episode "Inheritance," Soong made Juliana as an aging android, so he could have theoretically done the same thing with B-4 to get around the problem of Brent aging.
Trek is in good hands with J.J!
too much promotion surrounding this guy before the project gets of it's feet. mi3 was total rubbish, a respin of the alias pilot. So what hope do we have for the next trek film. I would say Whedon but he would make the characters too quirky and that is not something trek fans want to see. JMS is another good choice or even Ronald D Moore, they both handle sci fi shows, with great results aswell.
"Why can't they make a star trek movie about Janeway and her crew."

Good lord, please, NO! Even worse than one being set with the Enteprise crew (the show, not the ship...err, well, it was the ships name too, but u get the idea)

"My expectations of this movie is already low due to it being set in the TOS era"

I think you miss read, here, look again: "Abrams says that original reports that said the storyline of Star Trek XI would involve early adventures of Kirk and Spock were wrong,..."

". Michael Straczynski to write a new Star Trek, but for some reason he seems to be black listed in Hollywood..."

Thats because he would never (well, almsot never) let anyoen elese write and produce b5 but himself. Ticked off a lot of SAG members.

Think about it...what BIGGIST start trek clifhanger just screams JJ/Lost?

...

Did you guess yet?

...

DEEP SPACE 9!

Sisko doing the demi god angel profit thingy at the end, the war *jsut* over, odo going to join his people, the Dominon delt a posibly fatel blow? (Hey, they won, lets rebel!) as force of rebbles thrtenign the wormhole/ds9/profits/etc...and who comes to save them? BAM!

How ever, as much as i Love star trek...if this messes with Lost one bit, paramount is dead meat. JJ coudl bring a nice mystry/action thing to it, but if he trys to go too far into ither of those (hey, it IS sci fi) then they will loose core audence liek they have been every sence DS9 ended.
The 8472 had so much potential but then they ruined it by making them nice later. But they could still continue it and have an all out war with them and then the voyager can be put back together cause they would be considered experts on these creatures. Throw in a TNG character or two, and maybe a Ds9 one and youd have an excelent movie.
But please dont make it about the original crew or even in that time period. i loved tos but think that trying to redo it would ruin it. Prequels suck, lets look forward instead.
First of all I like Lost, but I dont think abrams himself is that great a writer.
JMS would be perfect. Joss Whedon is a very good writer but i dont know how well it would work for startrek. So I say let JMS write it.
And finaly, Voyager was a greatly underrated series. I liked it more then Ds9. They should make it about voyager. There are so many plotlines left to do too. A movie about species 8472 attacking would be fantastic as long as they kept them to the monsters they originally were.
People need to lighten up. I liked most of the star strek series. I even got used to Voyager after a while. I was probably one of the few that really liked the Enterprise series. Even the opening song for it was great. Everyone over anylizes everything. For Gods sake it's startrek and it's fiction, just enjoy it for what it is. I would also like to see a future edition instead of a return to old characters.
Srar Treb is the best show off all times. i look everythink off this. Good blass him.
very interesting news.
Why dont we give it a rest. Star Trek that is. I have been a fan since day one. But I did not see the last two movies due to them being done so poorly.
I can say also I have never watched LOST. It is time to give STAR TREK A REST. Its been around for 40 years.
Great, I have been waiting for this for a long time.
It's all about the original series, so I hope it features the original characters or will at least be set in the same time period as TOS. Let's face it, everything that came after (TNG, etc.) just felt watered down.
So will it be a TNG movie?
Will it pick up where NEMISIS left off?
And in point to Joss Whedon doing trek!!!! God help us NO!!! Buffy, Angel, and Firefly/Serenity are the very KRAP that rots television screens currently! It is all goofy over-acted filth that would only hurt the Trek world even more! The only thing worse that "Joss" would be Lucas doing a Trek movie!
I am an extremely large Star Trek fan (i prefer trekkie over trekker personally) and i think that Mr. Abrams is a wonderful choice. But... Kirk and Spock can never live again! They are, and forever will be William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy! Move the series forward, not back (ie Enterprise! what a dissapointment!) Start again with a new ship and crew picking up in the 24th or even the 25th century. Let us build upon what has come before and make it better. Nemesis had so much potential, it was originally supposed to be nearly 3 hours long, but the studio left half of it on the cutting room floor. For crying out loud the most attention getting moment of the trailer was Shinzon saying "Don't Fear" as he mentally raped Deanna Troi not once but twice!!! All of this was left out of the final product, yet it was in the previews! This is what they need to work on. Bring the drama and the prestige back to the Trek universe! Please Mr. Abrams, you seem like you can get it done. Move the series forward please!
I'd bet my money on J. Michael Straczynski to write a new Star Trek, but for some reason he seems to be black listed in Hollywood...

I think after seeing Abrams work, that this will fail, and big time. Joss might pull of a Star Trek, but I don't think so. J.J. Abrams LOST is nothing that could make me even think he has talent to make a Star Trek show. And if he builds up Star Trek the way LOST was, then it will go down the drain with his career hand in hand.

Star Trek needs new blood, new ideas, it needs to mature for Pete sake. It is the same old regurgitated garbage they have been making year after year.

Time for something new and bold. And by bold I don't me the kind of pathetic attempt they did on Enterprise. No, we need something new.

But in my opinion, Star Trek needs to die and be dead for a while before anyone tried to resurrect it. But I guess Greed will ultimately kill this franchise...

J.J. Abrams is the most overrated writer/director in TV.

Just cos he's a buzz-word in the industry doesn't mean he's any good. Let's face it...the man promised MI:3 too be deep and back to the original's roots. It wasn't even close.

As for Lost and Alias (I'm sorry but that last season made little sense...especially the end), people walked away in droves. He's the new Paul WS Anderson in my opinion.

Yeah, I hate him...
Oops, sorry it's Star trek 11. I still say it should be a Voyager movie. I want to see more of them. What happened to them after they go home.
I didnt really like the ds9 characters and didnt a bunch die or something at the end. I remember something happening to Odo and sisko, just cant remember what. So a ds9 movie wouldnt work.
Why can't they make a star trek movie about Janeway and her crew. I've been waiting for a voyager movie for years. Or maybe one about the Titan with Riker as captain.
to the comment about Abrams leaving Lost, I think Lindeloth and Cuse can handle it fine. But I do not think Abrams is that great of a writer. He's alright but not as good as everyone says.
I would rather if Joss Wheden were writing Star Trek 10. Or, even better, JMS should write it. B5 was like 10 times better then Star Trek.
God for you, JJ!

Movies are better than TV shows.
My expectations of this movie is already low due to it being set in the TOS era(even though it won't features the TOS characters). I actually think that TOS was the worst Star Trek show and would rather have the next movie reunite the cast of DS9/Voyager/Enterprise.
I love Lost! Be good to my old dear friend. Make a movie that we can all be proud of and enjoy seeing over and over again. I've been watching Star Trek since it first came on TV.
Hopefully Abrams can do it, because Nemesis stunk.
Couldn't agree more with archangelcory16. While Abrams is an excellent writer/director he needs to stick with his TV creations and stay out of the movie industry. M I:III felt like a two hour Alias but with different actors. I blame him for the demise of Alias. The first two years of Alias were awesome and then the show went slowly down hill when he slipped away for other projects resulting in a disappointing series finale, let's hope the same doesn't happen with Lost.
Star Trek? Oh, come ON. Let someone else do it! JJ should be focusing on Lost and Six Degrees. Had he not left Alias, it could probably be returning this season.

JJ, I love your work, and you're a fantastic writer, but you need to learn how to stand by your commitments before commiting to something else!
Come on Mr Abrams if anyone can resurrect the flagging fortunes of our beloved Trek it's you. Well, either you or Joss.