John McCain disses Letterman, Dave bites back

Liar, liar, John McCain's pants are on fire.

The man who could be America's next president is already showing similarities to former presidents Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, and pretty much everyone else who has put their feet up on the desk of The White House's Oval Office. Senator John McCain (R-Arizona) was scheduled to appear on CBS' Late Show With David Letterman last night, but had to cancel because he had to suspend his presidential campaign and work on the whole "economic collapse thing." At least that's what he told dear old Dave.

Letterman's camp obviously cooperated, given that McCain told the late-night talk-show host that he was flying back to Washington (D.C., not the state for apples) to get to business. According to LA Weekly's awesome Nikki Finke (video included, and worth watching), McCain explained to Letterman's producers, "I have to go back and fix the economy. I'm going to get on a plane now and go."

Understandable, right? Hey, the country needs him! Dave, disappointed, went on about how McCain should have had Sarah Palin (if you don't know who she is, try Google) fill in for him, but dealt with it and continued on with a little ribbing of the old man.

BUT--there was no plane to get on. Although McCain was supposed to be on the couch with Dave pimping his platform and making unfunny jokes about his "good-looking babe" (Paul Schaeffer's words, not mine) running mate, he was actually down the street doing a live interview with CBS News' Katie Couric.

Letterman was informed of this, and, as Dave is wont to do, obviously went on to call him out on it. And call him out on it he did. Letterman (boy I love this guy), during an interview with last-minute fill-in Keith Olbermanm of MSNBC, had his control room switch over to a live feed of McCain with Couric getting makeup (which costs him a pretty penny) applied to him in Couric's studio, and asked, "Doesn't seem to be racing to the airport, does he?"

Ouch.

While a live feed of McCain talking to Couric was running, Dave sarcastically asked monitor, "Hey John, I got a question for ya...need a ride to the airport?"

Assuming the information is true, here's a note to the McCain camp: Did you think lying to cancel on one CBS property for another CBS property would go unnoticed?

what I think is funny is that nobody seems to understand how tv can be edited and made to look like whatever they want. if he did change to couric it was wrong to lie, but I think that couric is more news where letterman is more entertainment, I would have thought that it would have been a smarter choice to do couric
osda, when politicians screw over TV shows, I'd call that news related to TV, wouldn't you? They aren't getting involved in politics, they're pointing out how McCains camp obviously screwed up a bit and how a TV show ridiculed him for it, heh.
LMAO
Venom, it will be awesome when Obama stumbles through every word. Then I shall point my finger, open my mouth, and laugh hysterically and for quite a long time at the stupidity of some people.

About the Letterman thing, I think that's just unfair. I mean, okay, so he was supposed to be there and he backed out. But who's to say that the Couric thing wasn't staged? Also, I'd greatly appreciate it if TV.com could focus on TV and steer clear of politics. I won't enjoy this site nearly as much if I have to go around telling people how stupid I think they are all the time.
dave nailed it. and whats gonna be awesome is how obama is going to own mccain in the debate tonight.
When we first got Letterman airing late at night here (like, 4am), 12-15 years ago, I thought he was a big dickhead. Was it me who changed, or was it him? We never had Johnny Carson here, but I can now understand the big deal that they made about Carson retiring, because Letterman is the new Carson. To be honest, a lot of the scripted comedy is a bit hit-or-miss, but give Letterman the mike and let him go off on his own, make his own point in his own words, in his own time, and you have absolute, undiluted gold. Accurate, biting, hard to argue with. Just as we find it here with McLiar.. uh, McCain, who underestimates the ability of someone like Letterman to cause a huge dent in his campaign wagon, if only because people actually like and respect Letterman. Piss off the guy people like, and you won't come up smelling of roses. Good on you Dave, you are the King. (And your hair's looking better than it has in a very long time.)
The least McCain could have done was tell Letterman the truth ... oh, wait ... he's a politician. He doesn't know the meaning of the word.
Good ol' Dave!
I watched the youtube clip, and there's something i'm confused about.

Most of it, dave is ranting about Mccain, but he has not yet discovered that he hasnt actually left New York, so as far as dave knows he actually did speed out to New York on emergency, so where is the rant coming from?

Now if the rant came AFTER the whole "oh, he went straight to Couric" thing, that maeks more sense, since it was then apparent he flat out lied.

I'm just not sure where all the rancor is coming from before that (yes, i agreed with Dave's points about shutting down the campaign and notu sing Palin, but it seemed oddly ranty all things considered, and it realyl didnt get truly personal until he found out about the lying later after all that).

Did anyone see the full show and is able to give more insight on this?
Oh wow. I just heard about this, Dave wins the internets today.
LOl, what an idiot.
Letterman Rules!
Classic comedy, I had a great laugh! Props to Letterman.
I'd have watched him on Letterman, but I hate Couric....
Wow, the brainwashed right isn't a cliche, what an apologist for McCain! If the "Evening News w- Katie Couric" called the McCain camp for an interview shouldn't he have said the same thing to them that he said to Dave?? (i.e. there are pressing matters in DC I need to attend to) If the McCain camp did rethink their strategy shouldn't they have call the "Late Night" producers to set the record strait!?! McCain obviously got caught in a LIE. To bad more broadcasters like Dave aren't will to expose this fraud for what he is!!!
McCain probably should have been doing an interview with Couric instead of Letterman anyway. But we do know that he did head to DC after that interview anyway. What probably happened is he called Letterman and told him what he was doing and then CBS called McCain back and asked him to do that interview instead before he headed back to Washington.
McCain is obviously a pathological liar he's full of crap but the grilling Letterman gave him on the show was hilarious.

It was a stupid move to make on McCains part as well not only did he lie but like Letterman said "the road to the whitehouse runs through me". This has earned him some very bad publicity but at the same time if he went on the show Letterman would have picked him apart. Letterman is best known for his uncompromising questions.