Justified: A Wynn Wins Situation

Justified S03E11: "Measures"

Justified is clearly The Raylan Givens Show when you get down to it, but the series is so good at creating characters that its episodes are always much more fun when others join the party. And considering how much of a huge penis Raylan has been this season, whether it's because he's antsy over his imminent fatherhood or weepy over Winona bailing on him or grumpy just because Raylan is an angry, angry man, I'm get worried when Raylan isn't in the spotlight.

What struck me about "Measures," last night's fantastic episode of Justified, is that everyone got ample screen time yet the space never felt cluttered. Pieces moved all around the board, but the set-up was just as engrossing as the pay-off. Think about all the characters who had memorable scenes last night: Raylan, Quarles, Boyd, and Limehouse, obviously. But Dickie came back in a big way, Errol was huge, Wynn made some BIG plays, Art offered Art-isms, plus Tim, Rachel, Napier, Ellen May, two Detroit mobsters, and the big boss himself Theo Tonin (the always awesome Adam Arkin, a.k.a. Sons of Anarchy's Ethan Zobelle) all made their cases. After several episodes of building and building tension—in fact, as I said last week, a few too many episodes of tension building—"Measures" flipped the switch and turned on the magnets for all of our characters to descend on Noble's Holler for what promises to be a bloody final two episodes.

The big deal in this episode was the rise of new players as we approach the endgame. Errol previously showed signs of wanting to step out on his own, going so far as to order Tanner to hit Boyd's Oxy operation without the blessing of Errol's boss Limehouse. Errol has always thought Limehouse's ways are antiquated, and when Dickie offered a proposal to partner up to forcefully withdraw his money from the Bank of Limehouse, Errol agreed and sealed his own fate to either a life of riches or a life that's going to end sometime in the next two episodes. Was it a good idea to go against a cleaver-wielding boss who feeds his enemies to pigs? Nope. But this was always in his cards, and it was set up well. Power is always shifting in Harlan, and those with the guts to grab it are the ones who get it. Also: Is anyone else starting to really like Errol? I don't like his chances to survive the season, but I'm certainly enjoying him while he's here.

Another dude who saw an opportunity and took it was Wynn Duffy. I've always thought of Wynn as little more than an errand boy, but he's actually been more calculating than I gave him credit for. Wynn is a leech who constantly puts himself in a position to suck power from whatever host he can latch onto, slowly moving on to more promising opportunities. It was jarring to see him pull a gun on the mobsters when they paid him a visit because Wynn usually has a gun pointed in his direction or is taking verbal haymakers from Quarles/Raylan, but this is a new Wynn who's sick of sipping on the leftovers from Quarles' glass. With Quarles weakened and the target of just about everyone, Wynn did what Wynn does, which is look out for Wynn. Now he's turning on Quarles, temporarily partnering with Boyd, and orchestrating the delivery of his old boss's dead body to Theo. It's a Wynn-wins situation.

Both these maneuvers by the two lieutenants showed off one of the things that Justified does best when it's on its game: turn itself on a dime. This season has been all about acquiring power against a whole gang of people who are reaching into the same picnic basket. With more potential enemies to piss off, there's much more tip-toeing going on than there was last season, which was largely a three-horse race between Mags, Boyd, and Raylan. This season, confusion reigns, meaning dark horses can easily find themselves a lot wealthier today than they were yesterday with just a little more of a "Go get 'em, tiger!" attitude.

It's easy to say that every episode this season has been leading up to a big showdown (I'm as guilty as anyone else), but "Measures" did everything but beat on the war drums as it increased the size of the participants and shrunk the playing field. At this point, it's anyone's game. The only safe bet is Raylan.

Postcards From Harlan County

– I am FULLY ON BOARD with a Dickie/Ellen May reign over the criminal underworld of Harlan. I had never thought of them together, but it makes so much sense. If this doesn't actually happen on the show, I'm going to write some fan fiction and create a world where it does. I love those two!

– This may be sacrilege, but I'm getting a little tired of Raylan's attitude. Thankfully Art is there to remind him that he's off the rails. Their talk while staking out Wynn's trailer was classic. "Whatever your failings are going to be as a father, I'm pretty sure that your child is going to be better off if you manage to stay above ground long enough to make his acquaintance."

– Raylan and the bartender? Not a fan.

Not a fan of Raylan and the bartender? Well, let.'s put it this way... do you want whining Winona back?

Didn't think so...
You are correct Tim, they balanced this episode so well that everyone seemed to at least be getting a bite of pie. I didn't feel overwhelmed by one character or another, and the pacing was solid.

Calling Wynn a 'leech' is perfect terminology. He really does go from person to person trying to obtain the most power. The conversation between him and Theo (aka badass Ethan Zobelle) was awesome. I cannot wait to see how everything plays out!

Dickie's hair this episode: EPIC.
I absolutely loved Art and Raylan together in this episode and seeing them using Rachel and Tim w/o Raylan. I hope we see more of that next season.

Best thing about this episode, Dickie's hair. Boyd needs to step up his game.

And Tim I agree with you about the bartender. Not a fan. She's so perfect it's borderline mythical and not complex at all for a show like Justified. Hopefully, this fling is short lived.

I hear the next episode is amazing. I can't wait until Tuesday.
I love the bartender. How could you not love that shotgun wielding bombshell with the pixie voice? We all know it's temporary, she's a throw-away character at best. I swear, its like she knows Raylan better than anybody else does these days. Chic's got character, and the balls to go toe to toe with Raylan. She kinda reminds me of Ava.

Art and Rachel need their own show. Enjoy watching them onscreen together.

Lol

"Justified is clearly The Raylan Givens Show when you get down to it..."

I couldn't disagree more, at least this season...this certainly use to be the case (it use to be like House - unwatchable if it didn't have the main character), but not anymore.

I'm just shocked you went an entire review of an episode of Justified and you didn't mention the best character on the show...

I'll give you a hint..."his initials are Boyd Crowder."
I barely remember Raylan being on Tuesday's episode a whole 36 hours later. That's a really bad sign. I remember every move, every silly collision this episode had, but aside from Art interacting with him in the beginning, I cannot remember a single scene Raylan was in or a thing he did. To me, this episode was like being a little kid, getting out all your Star Wars figures, your Transformers, your He-Man figures, your GI-Joe figures, and just slamming them into each other no matter how poorly they conceptually interacted. Wynn had some new stuff to do, and returned to being less of Quarles' punk without straying from too far from his season 3 personae; Quarles just seems to be a top bouncing into things now; Boyd seems to be having delusions of grandeur; Dickie seems to be halfway competent which is ludicrous; Tim and Rachel's storyline is unfortunately once again mostly forgettable despite having things to do; Errol's got the right idea about going against Limehouse - who has yet to actually do anything but pose and threaten and steal one person's money - but the worst possible way of going about it. And ultimately it's just about who is going to get the oxy business in a town of 2,000 people, Harlan is just not that big a deal really, but the writers are stuck in a rut, writing for a show that's a lot more soap opera than what it started out as, and that's too bad. I find it frustrating, the characters don't sparkle anymore, they don't break cliches anymore, they just are wound-up tops let loose on a cartoonish town.
The bad guys got a LOT of screen time that episode, and the other marshalls got some scenes in.

Just off the top of my head, without putting too much effort into it...

(ignoring his scene in the car with Art)

- Busting the hit man outside Quarles's hideout

- Busting in and facing the hitmen + Wynn + poor kid

- Towards the end when Raylan says Art's barking up the wrong tree (with the money+church)

Haha, I loved your comment about kind of not wanting Errol to die. I've said this many times before but I'll say it again: Justified is the king of creating and portraying the best one-episode guest stars, recurring characters, or season-long stars. They haven't had ONE character, in 3 seasons, that I haven't liked. And despite the fact that most of them are "bad guys" and are bound to either die or go to jail, I want all of them to get more screen time.

Also, as someone who kind of criticized this season early on for featuring so many characters and stories, they're doing a MUCH better job of balancing the still-many characters and stories and pacing them during each of the 40+ minute episodes.
She owns the bar and I have no problem with her and Raylan
Great episode again and while watching I asked myself: "Did I ever see anything like Justified Seas 3 before?"

The answer is No.

Mad Quarles, Michael F*** Ironside, Boyd and the taser, Duffy "Scottie" Wynn, Alan Arkin Crime Boss, Dickie grows balls, Ellen May learns from Ava and Raylan and Art are the best.
great episode. I'm really hoping Quarles and Dickie run into each other, would love to hear them hold a conversation.
another amazing episode
You know how I really have the most respect for on this show, especially after last night's episode? Neal McDonough... I hope he gets a kick out of all the names the writers have the characters call him. That old landlady calling him a husky was just... Awesome. My favorite though is still the bartender calling him a "baby albino deer". Aside from that, the one thing I love about this show, as Tim stated, it never drags. Every episode of this season, when I see the "Next on Justified..." commercial, I'm always amazed, because it never seems like it runs for its full 44 minutes +. Everything flows just so beautifully, and even the intense dramatic conversation scenes, which sometimes seem to go on forever in other shows. I'm anxious to see the showdown between Boyd and Dickie next week, or potentially even Ava and Dickie. She's badass enough that she doesn't need Boyd handling her light work!
Lol how about when Raylan called him a "big toothed albino looking son of a bitch." LOL
Awesome Justified again yes!

Tim - I think you are a bit unfair to Wynn Duffy - last season (or was it the first season?) when he was threatening Gary, Winona's slimy late husband, he was a pretty scary guy. He has been pretty emasculated by the terrifying psycho that is Quarles but Duffy's a tough guy himself... i do agree with you that Justified does a great job at showing power struggles and changes in a completely believable way and Duffy's mousy days under Quarles were just a phase he's going through...
The bartender is a fine hookup for Raylan, but I wouldn't give her a larger role. I've been ready for Dickie to die since the end of last season; he's not a believable character to me. I also think time spent on Tim and Rachel is time wasted. It's not that they are bad characters, but they don't rise to the level of Raylan or Art or Boyd or Limehouse or even Ava. Especially now that they've added Michael Ironside and Adam Arkin for a mere three episodes, they shouldn't waste any lines. If they want to develop those characters they should do it in webisodes or something where they aren't taking valuable screen time from really outstanding characters and actors.
Raylan and the bartender? Not a fan either. Well, it's more like: "I don't care."

But everything else was (again) perfect in this episode. I still like Wynn very much. I honestly wasn't expecting a partnership between Errol and Dickie! I can't see him surviving either and I'm worried for Dickie too now. It's amazing how much I care about these characters even though they are murderers, thieves etc. I guess this is why this show is excellent.
Raylan and the bartender? A big fan. That could be a spin off show as much as any two of the other characters put together.

I love Raylans attitude as well. His dry sense humour is most entertaining
Hey look it's Anson!
??? Anson?
Best episode of this season for me (yet) and im also starting to like Errol and suprisingly Wynn.
My favorite line was when Art was trying to give Raylan some fatherly advise, to which Rayland chuckled and echoed "Wow, you really don't want to get shot today"

That, and when the tortured prisoner escaped the bathroom, we have Wynn and some other guy just sitting there casually not reacting, immediately followed by Raylan's inevitable entrance with Wynn STILL just acting non-plussed
How has no one mentioned Wynns amazing eyebrows?!!!!!!? He is quite amazing, lol
I think last night's episode was Justified at its best. It is so much better when the whole cast is involved and has dialogue. Don't get me wrong, I love the Raylan show, but the whole cast is fantastic and the writing is superb it is like having a $300 bottle of scotch and leaving it on the shelf and never drinking it. If you have them use them. And they did. I liked Art and Raylan,they are great together. I also liked TIm and Rachel. I think that is the most screen time those two have had all season and it isn't enough. They are good enough to have their own episode and even good enough to have their own show. Use them more.

As for the rest of it, Quarles was fantastic, Duffy was interesting. And heck even Limehouse's lack was on point.

Dickie and Ellen, I just can't take either one of them seriously. Especially Dickie, I like the character and all. But he just makes me laugh to much for me to take him serious as a potential big bad.

Raylan's attitude over the season has been kind of annoying. In a petulant child with a Glock and dead aim kind of way. It seems at some point he isn't taking things seriously enough. And then he does. And granted this can all be attributed to him having a baby on the way and winona being well winona. But sack up man, get angry, and be the lethal man we know you to be.

The bartender and Raylan however, I am a fan. Raylan was at his best when he was getting a little something something on the side from Ava. So a sexually satisfied Raylan with no emotional baggage that was all of winona is a better Raylan.