Justified: Raylan Givens, This Is Your Life

Justified S03E13: "Slaughterhouse"

Justified's third season rode off into the sunset tonight with a lot fewer bullets but one direct hit to the heart. As everyone descended on Limehouse's butcher shack in Noble's Holler—the place where we all knew things would be settled since the episode was titled "Slaughterhouse"—we expected at least one Big Bad to die (which happened), we expected Justified-type violence (disarm, haha, good one Raylan), and we expected some trademark ambiguity to give us something to anticipate for Season 4. But what we did not expect was the blindside of emotion that rapped us upside the head at the very end.

Sometimes we get lost in the mystique of Raylan Givens. The hat. The gunplay. The witty words uttered from that handsomely crooked smile in the most dire of circumstances. But even though he's a man who's larger than life he's still a man, same as you and me.

What should have been an ultimate showdown between Raylan and Quarles and Limehouse and Boyd and whoever else Raylan had beef with turned into a sad story about a boy and his father. When Arlo Givens admitted to shooting Officer Tom, it cut Raylan down...though he was too strong to show it. We don't know for certain if Arlo pulled the trigger since we're trusting the words of Quarles and an old man suffering from dementia (I hope he did, because that would mean I was right when I predicted he was the triggerman last week), but that doesn't matter to Raylan.

With Boyd in custody for the murder of Devil, he admitted to Raylan that he had a connection to Arlo that he never got to have with his own father. And when put in front of the cops, Arlo says he not only shot Officer Tom, he killed Devil, too. And he did it to protect Boyd. Raylan's father and Raylan's nemesis have the father-son relationship Raylan and Arlo never had. Raylan coolly reacted with a wry smile and ran off to Winona's for an impromptu psychiatric session, but in the end, he left and was all alone. This is the life of Raylan Givens and it's the first time I looked at the man who I've idolized over the past three seasons and did not want to be him. This was a completely unexpected, tragic ending, and it left more of an impact than any barrage of bullets or buckets of blood ever could.

You can argue that Raylan is an angry man because he never had a connection to his father, leaving us to wonder what kind of man Raylan would be today if he did. One of the hardest things for a television program to do is open up a main character and show us what makes him tick, but Justified did just that with Raylan tonight.

Phew. Up until to that point, the episode was typical, 150-proof Justified, as Quarles was on the run from everyone and, I'll paraphrase for him, just wanted to get the f*** out of Harlan and back to the safety of good old Detroit. His way out involved kidnapping a family on a Christian rock vacation, begging Sammy Tonin to be let back into the family, and demanding money from Limehouse. But he would never make it to Detroit, as we all suspected, and Limehouse found a way to work around his slide-track Taxi Driver arm gun with an awesome cleaver cut right above the elbow. I don't think I'm being bold when I say that's one of the best things to ever happen on this show, and it was great that the writers gave him a few more lines while he bled out in a fit of hysteria.

But justice was not fully served. In fact, justice practically took the night off for the finale. Limehouse, Errol, Wynn, Johnny, Wynn's henchman, Limehouse's boys, and more people I've forgotten about didn't get clear punishments for their involvement in the last 48 hours of mayhem in Harlan. Wynn can be connected to the car bombing and admitted as much to Raylan, Limehouse will probably work something out, and who knows what'll happen to everyone else. However, I wouldn't count on Johnny lasting much longer once Boyd gets wind of his betrayal.

But that begs the question: Does a satisfying finale require that the good guys get the bad guys? On network television, yes. But FX is notoriously loose with its requirements to satisfy its audience, allowing showrunners to do what they feel best serves the story. Adam Arkin is particularly crafty at avoiding capture on FX programs, with no recourse as Detroit mob boss Sammy Tonin tonight and a scot-free escape as Ethan Zobelle in the second season of Sons of Anarchy.

This season hasn't been about one particular goal or destination, and the finale accurately reflected that. Instead we got a character-driven finale with plenty of ambiguity that mirrors real life...as opposed to the world of mainstream television and its necessity to wrap everything up in a pretty bow. It was sad, but so was last season's finale. Who didn't mourn Mags' death by moonshine and Loretta being shipped off to a foster home? Harlan is a gritty place, and one of the reasons we're so entranced by it is that it feels so real, despite the obvious caricatures. And the way this season ended, life in Harlan, troubled as it may be, will go on.

Postcards From Harlan County

– It's time to give some recognition to Raymond J. Barry, who has been absolutely incredible as Arlo over the last two episodes. He's been a completely different actor ever since Arlo went off his medicine.

– Raylan, upon seeing Quarles' sliding sleeve gun: "That's cute."

– Quarles, upon seeing that Limehouse keeps his money inside one of his butchered hogs: "Oh shit, it's a piggy bank!"

– Still some questions. What happened to Errol? He got shot, but why did he come back after Limehouse kicked him out? How often will Winona let Raylan come by and visit? Where does Ava get off punching Ellen May in the face? She turned into a pimp real quick!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

May 17, 2012
One of my favorite shows, and how hot is he.. Pheew !!

I want more. And it can only go too slow.
Apr 15, 2012
BEST SEASON YET
Apr 13, 2012
Another awesome episode. Glad the Quarls thing is finally out of the way.

As for the comments below, the idea that Arlo might have thought 'the man with the hat' was his son, no offense guys but I thought the allusion was more than obvious. You wouldn't have even needed the look of recognition on Wionna's face to realize it, or him putting on his hat as a punctuation mark.
Apr 13, 2012
Ahh, just read the comment below my last, he pointed out the tidbit too!!! Was rather emotional, the look on both Raylan and Wionna's faces!!!!

Apr 13, 2012
I was surprised there was no mention in your article about the last words Raylan said to Wionna.....he (Arlo) didn't know it was a cop, he just saw a guy in a hat pointing a gun at Boyd....asuuming that meant that Arlo possibly thought it was Raylan.....

Or am I wrong?
Apr 13, 2012
Tim, I think you've missed the most hurtful thing about Arlo shooting that trooper to protect Boyle: the fact he may have thought he shot Raylan instead.

Remember that scene, when Arlo was kinda surprise to see Raylan walking around in the bar, not being shot? Well, I tell you, I'm pretty damn sure Givens clearly remembers how his dad was acting...

By the way... was I the only one who definitely knew Quarles was a goner the minute he kidnapped Vic Mackey's wife? I'm pretty sure it's the capital rule for any series on FX: if you mess with Cathy Cahlin Ryan and you're not Michael Chiklis, you will end up dead!
Apr 13, 2012
Good call MightyMad, I am ashamed as a fan of The Shield to say I missed that.
Apr 13, 2012
What a fantastic finale! I loved how, even though there was quite some confrontation and violence, it turned out to be more 'introverted' rather than really 'explosive'. To me that made it more powerful than any amount of bullets or high body count would have.

I have just so many more thoughts about it, but I feel like I should rewatch all of season 3 again, so I can put it all in context, see the bigger picture from the start, see all those 'clues' I didn't notice the first time around...

I really think it speaks to the kind of show Justified is (quality-wise), that watching the finale doesn't just make you anticipate the next season, but also makes you want to relive it all again. There's really not that many shows that can do that! (at least to me... more often there is just some anticipation for the next season, and no desire to watch everything all over again)

Speaking of anticipation, is it too early to start our season 4 wishlists??

Apr 13, 2012
Didn't anyone notice that when Quarles arm was in Raylan's hand and Quarles was reaching for it Raylen was kind of playing keep away? That had me in stitches!
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, quite a few people have mentioned it already, but that moment was just so good! So bizarrely funny!

I replayed that scene like, 50 times! Timothy's expression in that scene is just priceless (his overall acting this episode was A++). It just goes from initial shock to WTF and then when Quarles tries grabbing it, it's like 'what the hell are you doing don't touch that'. I mean, it's not as if in that moment Raylan is consciously thinking 'no you cannot have your arm back it is mine now!' but it is more such a surreal moment to him in which it is more a kind of almost instinctive/automatic reaction just pulling back like, 'stay away from me/it!'. It is beyond hilarious!

(what do you mean, over-analyzing?)
Apr 13, 2012
Can't believe nobody commented about that Raylan Thinks Arlo didn't want to shoot Officer Tom but his real target was Raylan
Apr 13, 2012
WOW. What a finale! I may be shot russian roulette style for saying this, but I definitely think this is the best finale the show has done thus far. I'll even put 2 bullets in the chamber by admitting that - altho I loved season 2 to the point where it's in my top 5 seasons of any show ever - I think the season 2 finale was the weakest finale the show has ever done. Yea, it had the great beginning and Loretta was the shit and Raylan got "Louisvilled", but it wrapped things up way too neatly with the Bennet storyline that should have gone on to feul the entire run of this amazing show.

Now for the finale and season analysis:

I was not expecting that ending for a mile. This season was so all over the map that what should have been the crowning storyline of this show got watered down in all the areas it shouldn't have. Limehouse was never fully fleshed out enough until "Coalition" and "Slaughterhouse". I really couldn't tell if he was the scheming man behind the curtain who wanted to end up with all of Harlan under his control or if he truly was just looking out for Nobles Holler. I think this can mostly be blamed on his early introduction to the season. He debuted in "Cut Ties" seeming to be the next Mags. If he had been introduced in "The Devil You Know" by just being the man with Dickie's money it would have made his motivations much more clear. Then, when Errol did the foolish thing of sending Tanner after Boyd's oxy trade, we would have known he was planning on wiping the board clean of all the interlopers trying to get their fingers into the pie of Nobles Holler. Also I didn't like the way Boyd was pushed to the background of the season. One of the main things that should've been given more episodes to unfold - and thus been far more awesome and bloody - was the building war between Boyd and Quarles. We were teased with it during the carpetbagger talk in "Thick As Mud", but they never truly went after each other. Boyd just sat around in the background of the sherriff's campaign instead of being the diabolical sumbitch we all know he can be and messing with Quarles himself. We almost got to see some good action between these 2, but instead Boyd tricked Raylan into cleaning up the Quarles problem (which was still awesome on its own tho) and - never mind bullets and bloodshed - we just didn't get to see these 2 great actors verbally spar as much as we should have. That is a fail in my book. Really, when you get down to it, this season wasted the potential of introducing Limehouse as dangerous but fair and returning Boyd and the Crowder name as something to be feared in Harlan County (the one thing I really wanted to see after it's superb build-up in season 2). Also with so many "villains" in the big picture - even Raylan sort of fell off to the sideline - but the finale gave all of my Raylan issues a grander meaning and resonance so that's kind of a moot point when looking back at the season as a whole. So to my mind, there's only 2 big strikes against season 3.

Now for what they did right:

1) QUARLES. God I cannot describe how many different ways I think Quarles is the best villain in TV history. He is the anti-thesis to TV's other greatest villain of all time, Gus Fring of Breaking Bad. His storyline was so meticulously thought out that it makes my previous attempts at making a TV show I hope will someday get produced look like the writings of a saturday morning cartoon. He started out looking to be the one thing that would shake up Harlan in a monumental way. When Raylan took that picture of him with his phone in "Harlan Roulette" I was ready for the shit to hit the fan by the time the finale rolled around. I was picturing him scrapping for his place at the top of the Harlan County foodchain by sticking metaphorical knives into Raylan and Boyd and twisting the blade by attacking their loved ones or something even more maniacal. Instead he turned out to be a massive screw-up with even bigger issues. He was put in his place multiple times by Boyd - both directly and indirectly. He ended up owing Limehouse more money than he could ever pay back. He messed up his one chance to get back in good with Theo Tonin by trying to out-con Boyd, then sealed his own fate when he pointed his sleeve-gun at Sammy Tonin. Hell, even as little as Raylan got involved with Quarles' schemes, our favorite marshall was able to completely unravel his plans with very little effort. And the more Quarles fell, the more scary and entertaining he became. Really, he was done for as a serious threat to Harlan as soon as he threatened Raylan with a shootout. He then slid even further with his kidnap and torture of that kid (forgot his name) and then tried to piss off Boyd by killing a random drug dealer to pay back Liimehouse in the most entertaining scene of the season and the best scene invovling a katana since Pulp Fiction. I swear I nearly died laughing when he nonchalantly qupped "What a dick!" after beating down a dealer with the hilt of said katana and then slicing him up. He also went out in the most awesome way possible - by becoming a run-of-the-mill thug who was double-crossed by his #2, Wynn Duffy, then tried to return to his wheelhouse in Detroit by kidnapping a family - Only to end up with his arm hacked off and a bullet in his chest. And still he got the upper hand on Raylan by dropping the bombshell of Arlo being the one who killed Trooper Tom. His attitude all the way up to his demise was the stuff Emmys are made of. And to top it all off, he was actually painted as tragic when his horrifying childhood is revealed - explaining exactly why he's such a screw-up in the first place. Kudos to Neal McDonough and the writers for crafting my all-time favorite bratty would-be criminal mastermind.

2) The theme of the season. Though it was kind of cloudy at first, the more and more this season went on it became clear that this was an examination of Outsider Perspective.

Quarles was the ultimate man on the outside who thought he could pull the wool over what he saw as a bunch of inbred hicks - only to realize he had gotten tangled in a community with so many ties he didn't have a chance of cutting a path thru them. The flip-side of the examination comes from Raylan, who got so comfortable in Harlan he started to not care what the local criminals gunning for power were up to. In that way, he became an outsider to his own town and family. His half-hearted attempt to get back Ava was him trying to tie himself back into his home. He refused to hear out Boyd or Limehouse or anyone really whenever they were trying to warn him or give him vital information. He became so far on the outside of the inner-workings of Harlan, he didn't even realize Ava and Arlo had replaced him with Boyd. And Boyd, despite all of his negative qualities knows family when he has them and knows how to treat them.

3) I don't know if anyone noticed this, but this season was almost like season 1 in reverse. In season one Raylan didn't want to integrate himself with the deep roots of Harlan County, but found himself drawn into it anyway. His biggest problem was he saw this as a bad thing and has since been tring to distance himself from it all. Then in season 2 he was pulled in full force by the Bennet/Givens feud and the possibility of a family with Winonna. Somewhere down the line he realized this is where he belongs - even if he thinks otherwise. But the drama with the Bennets scared him into pulling back again, when deep down in his heart, he didn't want to. All he wants is to keep everyone in line in Harlan and live there in peace with Winonna and his unborn child. Instead he did the opposite and saw everyone as not worth his time while he tried to make a life with a woman he was never right for. He completely ignored all the respect Boyd and others had earned with him and became the angry man that had been forced to go to Harlan at the beginning of the series. Even most of the cases this season took place in Lexington or other larger cities in Kentucky as Raylan continued to distance himself from where he belongs. Then the final events of "Slaughterhouse" hit him over the head with the truth: Boyd ended up with everything Raylan had ever wanted - Arlo's love, the respect of his fellow residents and a woman who would literally do ANYTHING for him - and it's all Raylan's fault. He became so distant his own father was trying to kill him on purpose to save Boyd and was disappointed when he realized the trooper he shot wasn't Raylan.

Raylan is now a man with nothing to lose in his own eyes. If he tried, he could get it all back. He's not past the point of no return yet. But this is Raylan Givens. He's gonna do the exact opposite of what he should do and come down on everyone - family and criminals alike - with a vengeance. He's essentially back where he started and he's gonna burn every bridge he built all over again before he wakes up and rebuilds them. I'm excited for all the usual elements of a new season of Justifed (The big bad(s), the double-crosses, the eventual returns of Dewey, Dickie and Wynn Duffy, the all-out awesomeness that is the Marshalls) but for the first time I'm more excited to see how Raylan's personal life is gonna play out. The only thing that is assured for next season is that no matter what happens in Harlan, it's gonna be brutal. Both literally and emotionally. This show always gets better in some way - even if it falters in others - and season 4 now has the foundation set to be the crowning jewel of the series. Hopefully they learned a few lessons and will do a much better job characterizing Limehouse and give Boyd his chance to prove he's worthy of taking over Harlan's criminal empire. Also please give us more scenes between Boyd and Raylan. Their love/hate relationship drives the show, and now that Arlo has ripped out Raylan's heart, there's no reason these two shouldn't be at odds with each other every episode. The w
Apr 13, 2012
Cool review, but Raylan doesn't live in Harlan.
Apr 13, 2012
This season peeled the layers of the father-son conexions/relationships or lack thereoff. Arlo/Boyd - Raylan/his boss - Limehouse/Errol - Quarles/Mafia Don. Great writing with juicy plot and characters and great actors conveying the story.

Can't wait for next season. Hurry up!!!!!
Apr 13, 2012
Justified is just brilliant and so is this review - thanks Tim!

The slaughterhouse scene was actually fun with its surreal gore but the real slaughter (of the heart) came with Raylan's realisation that his father had wanted to kill him. Somehow that he was telling all this to Winona just made it all even sadder. It was truly heartbreaking in a very understated way, just the reason so many love Justified. Can't wait for Season 4!
Apr 12, 2012
I told a friend that had not seen the show yet, aren't DVRs wonderful, that the ending was HARSH. I loved it and hated it at the same time, feel sorry for Raylan, but what a shocking ending.
Apr 12, 2012
Wow, the season finale was just what I expected of Justified. Just enough resolution to satisfy our inner need for the bad guy(s) to get some comeuppance but enough unresolved issues for us to be desperate for season 4. That Arlo would shot someone he thought was Raylan to protect Boyd was a stunner. Can't wait to see how that affects Boyd and Raylan's relationship in the future.

Apr 12, 2012
Did anybody get the point that Arlo shot a man(cop) he could not see clearly because he was wearing a HAT. He thought he was shooting Raylan!

What are the chances Winona will move back with the baby and live with(marry?) Raylan????

doesn't Raylan deserve some happiness in this series?
Apr 12, 2012
I think Tim you said all that went through my mind about this episode end this season.

This is one of the few show I bother with their recorded collection. I will be most interested in hearing the directors and actors take on their characters.

Beautiful season. Quarles , Raylan for me have more than earned their awards come awards season....and the writers of this show too.
Apr 12, 2012
"Oh shit, it's a piggy bank!"

Looking forward to the next season.
Apr 12, 2012
Justified is the best series for several reasons, including the writers, the actors , and

Production staff.

Rayland is portrayed in the most realistic way . Most enjoyable.

I can't wait until the next season!!!!
Apr 12, 2012
On the whole I didn't enjoy this season as much as 2. I found the good vs bad was very black and white in season 2, which I happen to like, but for me there were too many parties involved in this one. Bit too grey...

That said, this show is so good that I could happily watch Raylan doing an hour long monologue each week and would still be entertained. Poor old Raylan.

We going be seeing Winona next season??
Apr 12, 2012
"Oh shit, it's a piggy bank!"

I *literally* fell over sideways laughing at that. Neal McDonough's read of that line was spot-on perfection.
Apr 12, 2012
You'll be missed, Mr Quarles. You were a true baddie.

This season was the best one so far and this was a very good finale! Poor Raylan, his dad really wanted him dead. I really believed Johhny was loyal to Boyd. I am wondering why Errol came back. I hope we get answers in the next season. And what will happen to Duffy? In summary, I can't wait to watch the third season.
Apr 16, 2012
I would Guess Wynn Duffy is in jail after blowing up that car. And he didn't seam to have much pull with the mob where they would pull his ass out.

Apr 12, 2012
You mean the fourth season ??????
Apr 14, 2012
LOL yes sorry about that!
Apr 12, 2012
Ah, I loooooved this episode. As much crap as I give the season 4 finale of Sons of Anarchy for not having any action, Justified did such a great job of creating a compelling season finale despite only one gun fight.

Raylan's belief that Arlo decided to shoot "a man in a hat" in trying to save Boyd was awesome, as was his overall reaction to it. Rather than sad, he really just seemed tired; tired of all the bullshit that has been around him since he arrived back in Harlan.

I also love how the mention of Quarles having the gun that shot Gary was so subtle. It speaks volumes about how well a show is written when a thing like that doesn't have to be clearly pointed out or thrown in your face.

Hehe @ Quarles' 'piggy bank' line and Raylan's 'disarm' joke. Both are so simple, yet very funny in the situation.

I'd have liked to see a different reaction from Boyd at the end. Rather than not seemingly caring about Arlo and just celebrating with Ava seemed a little unusual. I'd have preferred it if Boyd came out more surprised and appreciative that Arlo would take the fall for him.

Finally, I just assumed Errol came back for, uh, a combination of loyalty and seeking forgiveness. I'm going to guess that they had a brief scene of Errol saying something to Limehouse after getting shot, but they figured it wasn't necessary considering the time limit.
Apr 12, 2012
First off, let me say that I really enjoyed most of this episode, it probably was the best of a rather uneven season.

I didn't take away the same thing you did, Tim, not by a long shot. I thought Raylan's reaction to Arlo's choices, his unsurprised acceptance, wasn't hiding anything. If you look at Raylan back in season 1, he was a man who had been happy to get away from his father and his home town and all the baggage of being the son of a cheap grifter thief - the only person who he was drawn to at that time was Helen, not Arlo. I took Raylan's reaction as exactly what we saw, a man not fazed by his own father trying to kill him to protect Boyd Crowder because that father was already on a vastly different path from Raylan. I took Raylan's cool reaction to the whole thing as on-the-level, the guy finally has full separation from his painful upbringing, true closure with Arlo.

Of course Arlo pulled the trigger, there should be little question of that when you go back and look at the beginning of the episode - Arlo says he heard a cop in a hat got shot, does anybody really believe out-of-his-mind Arlo is worried for his son and came running? That doesn't fit at all, but seeing if he really shot Raylan and kept him from Boyd is a much more believable fit.

Errol might have been trying to get that $100,000 bounty on Quarles' head, or been trying to get back into Limehouse's graces by helping out with Raylan and Quarles, or trying to take advantage of the confusion and get that piggy bank cash. Or maybe it was real loyalty, Limehouse originally threatened to kill anybody who looked the wrong way around the beginning of the season, so merely letting Errol go might have been a sign of more between them

So, this episode... Limehouse finally DID something after an entire season of merely posturing, threats, and misfired manipulations; it came with a real decision too, the guy is willing to give up half a million for the considerations of Deputy Marshal Givens. Quarles' actions all seemed fairly reasonable for the character and didn't go over the top or feel cartoonish or needlessly outrageous (although his payoff missed the note of talking to his son again, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a deleted scene). And Raylan took great actions, yet was still able to be surprised by the situations around him - look at his eyes when he's got guns trained on Limehouse and Errol, and his expression just as Limehouse cleaved Quarles' arm was priceless - and then come back and crack jokes and take the craziness in stride. Art had a couple great lines, although as usual there wasn't enough Art for my tastes.

I had no problems with justice being deferred and deflected for the finale, that's how life works, not everybody gets busted. In fact, I wouldn't have minded one of the bigger villains getting out of Dodge unscathed (except for Limehouse, he needed to get his hands dirty at least once this season), that would have felt a little more Elmore Leonard to have someone get away and win without causing drama and trouble.

The only thing that didn't quite work for me was Boyd, as usual, being the darling of the writers and getting everything handed to him easily. Boyd is a different character from season 1 and 2, now he's just coasting, letting his worshippers do all the heavy lifting while he just makes noises and acts Harlan-noble (that is, noble for a drug-pushing murderer). Ava is now so devoted to his cause that she beats a woman in the face for perceived wrongs - despite them making no sense with any thought, not to mention the fact that she MURDERED another man to protect this gal not long ago, and a good pimp doesn't beat his hos in their face, that's money out of their pockets! Arlo magically becomes Boyd's dad despite zero emotional setup for this shown throughout, and not only kills a lawman for a perceived threat to Boyd, but falls on his sword for Boyd taking the hit on Devil's murder. Even Boyd's enemies magically lose when scheming against Boyd despite Boyd being a pretty big failure at this point in the world of Harlan crime.
Apr 11, 2012
Great season finale but i was expecting at the end as in season 1 & 2 "You'll never leave Harlan alive" by Brad Paisley playing :(
Apr 11, 2012
This season was a great season and the reveal of this final episode makes me want to rewatch the season. If Arlo shot the state trooper to protect Boyd and thinking it was Raylan this raises a few issues. Arlo and Raylan don't have the best of relations but is it so bad he would kill his own son? Also Boyds throw away comment Arlo is not part of my crew he is family" and the mystery of what Raylans mother was doing at Limehouse when Raylan was little, might lead me to think Raylans and Boyds relation just got exponentially more complicated and a good basis for the next season.
Apr 11, 2012
Adam Arkin is Theo Tonin, not Sammy Tonin. Sammy's his son.
Apr 11, 2012
This episode just oozed "awesome" out of every pore

- Wynn in the RV, freaking out that Raylan is actually pulling the trigger.

- Piggy Bank!

- The scene with the arm... they're both like WTF... and then Raylan keeps it away from him.

- The reveal that Arlo thought he was shooting Raylan

Apr 11, 2012
Another amazing season of Justified, my favorite thing about it was probably the opening, with the Russian roulette questioning, even if I sort of expected that gun and it's lack of bullets to come back into play when Quarles got a hold of the gun.
Apr 11, 2012
Justified had a great season finale as it has the previous 2 seasons. I love this show!!! It was unnerving when Arlo saw Raylan at Boyds house because you could see the surprise in his face, he actually thought he had killed Raylan instead of the trooper. I am not at all surprised at Timothy Olyphants acting ability. He makes his character so believable and so real to the audience. Another fine example is his performance in the HBO series Deadwood, which unfortunatley got cancelled, but if you ever get a chance to see it I would recommend watching it. It was a great series unfortunatley it only lasted 3 seasons, but it was a one of a kind tv series and I loved it. Justified is almost as good, at least we get to watch excellent actors giving stellar performances!!

Worst review ever.
Apr 11, 2012
Tim Surette, does bring a critic somehow make you resent television? I like DonovanBrown below am a Justified fan and was stunned to realize Arlo would kill Raylan to protect Boyd. It's like you cut out in the last 5 minutes. This is almost as bad as when you were reviewing Miracle Day and admitted to never bothering to watching any Dr. Who. How did you get this job?
Apr 11, 2012
It's not the first time he tried to kill him....
Apr 13, 2012
When did Arlo previosly try to kill Raylan? I don't recall anything in season 2 and it's been a while since I watched season 1. I know Arlo has pointed a gun at Raylan before, but it's Harlan that is just how they say hello.
Apr 11, 2012
i nearly shat my pants at: they say i disarmed him
Apr 11, 2012
Great finale. Besides everything you mentioned, I also loved the scene with Raylan questioning Duffy. I can't wait for season four.
Apr 11, 2012
Fantastic episode, great season overall.
Apr 11, 2012
haven't read the review yet ...and sorry to say but based on the previous comment and the fact that it's tim surette maybe it's best that i haven't ...my review: fucking incredible.
Apr 11, 2012
I think you've completely missed, or just haven't responded to a crucial element to this finale. The ending was impacting because we find out(in the final scene with Raylan and Winnona) That Arlo shot "a man in a hat" thinking it was Rayland. Earlier in the episode Arlo was very surprised to see Rayland alive, he even said he "heard that a police officer in a hat had been shot": This is because He thought he killed Rayland in order to save Boyd's life.

Rayland finds this out, and realizes his father is willing to kill him for Boyd.
Apr 11, 2012
It's not the first time that he's tried to kill him...I agree it was shocking to some extent, but it really wasn't a revelation. It's part of the reason that Raylan hates him.
Apr 11, 2012
Ithat was shocking. I wish they had shown more scenes of boyd bonding with arlo but ill take what was given,

Imagine ur own dad willing to kill you to save someone you don't even like. Just wow.
Apr 11, 2012
he also missed that Raylan gave the Gun from the Murder of Gary Hawkins to Quarles solving the Story Gary-Storyline
Apr 13, 2012
Great call, dude - I completely missed that one.
Apr 12, 2012
Raylan said "So we're clear, I want that back" when Quarles got his first gun. When Quarles got the second gun from Raylans back he said: "This one?". Raylan replied:"That one you can keep". Quarles:"Oh, thank you very much!".

Dammit I love this show.. These are small details I am looking for every time!
nice call
Apr 11, 2012
"That's the apple, the barrel and the tree." Great line.
Apr 11, 2012
Fantastic episode, hit with same punch as season two's finale minus the bullets.

On a side note Tim, the Detroit mob boss is Theo Tonin.
Apr 11, 2012
wow the ending was just sad. Arlo, off his meds, seeing a man in a hat pointing a gun at Boyd, not knowing it was a trooper, but thinking it was Raylan? WTF arlo? Wow....Great finale i thought, little slow at times, but great nonetheless...the piggy bank line KILLED ME. Seeing Quarles end too was satisfying. Raylan and Wynn playing Russian Roulette was great too. cant wait for s.4
Apr 11, 2012
Errol is most likely dead now. The reason he returned to the slaughterhouse was because he saw Raylan in the family van driving up towards where Limehouse was. Doesn't take a genius to find something suspicious about a US Marshal driving up to see your boss at night. Even though Limehouse exiled him, he must've still had a sense of honor to go back to help him. Makes me think of the loyal dog monologue Limehouse was preaching about at the beginning of the season.
Apr 11, 2012
Dammit why did you put this up before us on that pacific coast get to see it. Dammit why did I read it. Some quick thoughts before I watch it. What if this season wasn't supposed to end with all of the big bad's dead. What if it was to end with the metaphorical death of "harlan Raylan". Follow my logic, it is fairly well assumed that Raylan was/is a badass. But what was he like when he was in Miami? He had no family, he had no Winona to weaken him, arguably he could have been more of a badass which led him to the showdown at the restaurant with the gun thug, of whom he killed in still one of the best Raylan killings of the series. (aside from the table cloth pull). But he came back to Harlan fighting and screaming, why? Maybe he thought dealing with his family made him weak? Which I think this year and part of last year with Winona kind of exemplified. We didn't see the Raylan of the first season. This was a Raylan that was kind of off his game for half the season. And that is why he got the drop laid on him more than a few times. Dealing with his father, dealing with Eva, dealing with Winona made him weaker. Maybe that was the big bad death that needed to happen. Imagine a Raylan unencumbered by any of the personal crap he has had to deal with, how good would he be? This has been the Raylan show all season with very few showings of the supporting cast, Why? Maybe they needed to show the contrast or devolution if you will of Raylan between season 1 and now. So now with Winona who knows where, (and I really hope she stays there) and Arlo giving him the ultimate emotional gut punch. He is left alone with more things to piss him off so he can be the badass we know he can be.

I hope this is the case. Because next season I want Raylan 4.0 bigger, badder and perfectly willing to put a .45ACP in a criminal for any reason what so ever.
Apr 12, 2012
Very well said, At first I was also expecting some huge confrontation between all the factions. Bullet's flying, With Raylan being badass, basically I was expecting it to be lie season 1's finale. I had been behind on 3 episodes so I watched the 3 and the finale right after. But in the final scene of ep 12, and the very beginning of 13 I suddenly really thought about Raylan of how this season has gone, all the shit in his job, Winona, Quarles etc Then I looked at Raylan closely and realized that in that finale he had finally been pushed to far, he had enough of the BS and therefore and decided he was going to get Quarles and everyone or die trying. First the Harlan roulette he didn't care one bit if he had killed duffy. But then there is the scene when he confronts Limehouse and is surrounded by a dozen armed men, the look on his face was first not caring, then genuine fear. Then
Apr 11, 2012
I love everything about this.
Apr 11, 2012
Tim you need to add a gif of Raylan pulling Quarles' arm away as he reaches for it to this recap.
Apr 11, 2012
That scene was funny as hell! Lol. Dark comedy at its best.
Apr 11, 2012
I agree, that was darkly funny. That and Ellen Mae getting pimp-punched in the face by Ava. Poor Ellen can't catch a break.