Kate Gosselin's Solo Act Ain't Gonna Work

Ding, dong the witch is... well, even less dead than before. Yes, Kate Gosselin--the newly-coiffed reality star and mother of eight bank accounts children--will become the lone star of the newly rechristened Kate Plus Eight, meaning her partyboy prince of an ex-husband Jon has been asked to leave? fired from? who knows! the show. Yay for her, I guess. (And yay for TLC. At least this rhymes. What would they have done... Just Jon, 'Cause Kate's Gone?). But really, the whole thing isn't going to work.

The show's ratings have already dropped to under 2 million viewers a week this season, down from its series high of 9.8 million, which they netted for the divorcetastic season premiere. And I just don't buy that kicking old Ed Hardy Fan Club founder and president Jon to the curb is the way to cure those blues. Really there is no cure, because the show was supposed to be about a happy and enormous family, it was supposed to be feel-good and positive. But now fame and money has torn the family apart, both spouses have revealed hideous devils lying in wait under small town parent masks, and the children are getting more and more showy for the cameras. It's not natural anymore, it's forced and sad and sour. So why then is TLC soldiering on?

Well, because the damn thing has been a cash and attention generating machine. Everyone knows TLC now, not for being the domain of upbeat, affirming, sometimes even educational programming. No now it's the new, cynical American downward spiral version of that. It's upbeat, affirming, sometimes even educational material that quickly curdles into terrifying cultish behavior, drunk driving arrests, allegations of racism and homophobia, and now extremely public divorce. So if TLC's good name has been sullied a little bit, well that seems to be a trade they're willing to make for buzz. Though, thinking that fans of the Gosselins will forget everything ugly that's happened over the past six months and re-embrace the show once it's just Kate in the picture seems a little blinkered on the network's part.

And there's more! Kate is rumored to have taped a pilot for a frigging talk show. She's never been shy about her desire to become (or stay) rich and famous, but we never really thought her talk show pipe dream would actually happen. But again TLC has, I think, underestimated their viewers and are hinting that Kate's "new project" will drop in 2010. Remember when Stacy London from What Not to Wear had that talk show that no one watched? Yeah, well this will be like that, only worse. Sure it'll open big because of the freakshow factor, but what in Sam Hill does Kate really have to talk to us about? Raising eight children this far without losing or killing one of them surely means you know a thing or two about a thing or two, but Kate seems to have taken lessons about how to be famous and demanding and camera hungry more to heart than she has ones about how to be humble and stay sane in a frantic world. So unless her show is about how to monetize your children for your own selfish gains, I just don't see the appeal.

So TLC is taking big gambles on their biggest star to date while failing to realize, so blinded are they by immediate paychecks, that Kate Gosselin is no longer a star. She's an ugly footnote in reality TV history. And her kids have become a tragic example of the fame game's unending chain of collateral damage. TLC's tower of Babel has fallen and the rubble just needs to be bulldozed away. We all know that. Why don't they?

To be honest, they shouldn't have put their kids on television in the first place. Kate and Jon love their kids, there's no doubt about it, they've just gotten so caught up in this media bull that they're destroying not only their kids' lives but their own too. Maybe if the show ends it will all be for the sake of those adorable little kids!
Reality tv is just alien to me. I can't even imagine watching it. it's such an oxymoron; such a con. I keep hoping it's a fad that will end soon. Is it? Will it?
I find it strange you guys being so hard on Kate, Jon's the lazy, immature, freak. I wonder if you were just as outraged when Jon wanted to have the introduction of his new girlfriend filmed? There are a lot of single parent homes in America, guess you didn't know that, and I think the departure of any father is painful for all parties. I think America is more interested in the development of the "new" family, and how it evolves, Then "pudgy" boys erratic behavior. Although I'm sure a lot of women can relate to this behavior.......
I am seriously concerned over people who have nothing better to do than view other people's lives on any faux-ality series. For goodness sake, go out and play, go shopping, go to a movie, do SOMETHING with your lives!!! ANYTHING but sit and live it through others' lives! Let's send the stations, producers, and advertisers, a clear signal by telling them we want quality programming by not viewing such trash!!! (yeah, I know . . . go ahead and have a good chuckle at that! I laughed, too!)
it sucks that the kids have to go through their parent's divorce but to have it shown all over the world and to have a copy of these events for the future is just sad. they don't deserve this. and now they would have to hear about it from everyone.
I'm sorry but what is wrong with these people honoring Kate Gosselin. She is in no way a good mother and in my opinion should have her children taken. They spend more time with nannies anyway. Both Jon and Kate need to pull their heads out of their behinds. Kate especially needs to stop being so self involved. To be honest I really liked this family at first. Then I saw the clip of her denying Maddy a drink of water saying they were starting the interview then she herself gets one and drinks it in front of Maddy. Now all the rest of stuff just making her look even worse. As a mother myself she makes me sick. As a person I'm ashamed to call her A fellow Pennsylvanian. And I'd like to smack her to be quite honest.
Richard Lawson, I'm glad you mentioned TLC's scandals and Jeremy Roloffs (Little People Big World) racist and gay bashing language and conduct. I think that is worse than all the others. How can they have a show about treating minorities as equals when off camera Jeremy Roloff was making racist remarks and comments offensive to gay people? They are hypocrites and fakes. They didn't even sincerely apologize. Shame on the Roloffs and TLC.
I want to see it without Jon too. NEVER liked him much. I just hope Kate changes her hair!
Though I am apparently in the minority, I'm excited to see where the show goes without Jon. It may flop, but as someone who has been watching since long before the tabloids became involved, I'm excited to see how the family deals with all of the changes. Can't wait for the new show!
KATE PLUS EIGHT WOOHOO CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!
OK PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THEY HATE KATE OR JON SHOULD OF LEFT THIS AND THAT WELL TRUTHFULLY I LOVE KATE SHE IS NOT MONEY HUNGRY SHE IS JUST DOING WHAT IS BEST FOR HER KIDS I HAVE A BABY MYSELF AND IF I HAD A CHANCE TO GIVE HIM EVERYTHING AND DO LIFE MEMORABLE THINGS I WOULD LET KATE HAVE THOSE MEMORIES WITH HER KIDS O AND JON IS THE MESSED UP ONE HE COULDNT EVEN STAND THE FAMILY HE HAD TO MOVE ALL THE WAY TO FN NEW YORK. O AND KATE WAS THE ONE THAT WAS SICK OF JON ACTING LIKE A BABY COME ONE HE IS A GROWN MAN AND COULDNT EVEN STICK UP FOR HIS PATHETIC SELF WOW RIGHT!!!! O AND LAST BUT TOTALLY NOT LEAST COME ON U GUYS KEEP SAYN HOW U ARE DONE WITH THEM BUT YET U ARE READING THIS STUFF ABOUT THEM AND POSTING COMMENTS FUNNY RIGHT I DONT THINK THAT SOUNDS LIKE HATE TO ME. WELL I LOVE KATE SHE IS A GREAT ROLE MODEL AND I HOPE THE SHOW STAYS ON FOR A LONG TIME:)
Let's face it..Kate plus 8 will be just plain Boring! The only reason it was popular before was because people enjoyed watching Jon and Kate bicker..it made their own lives seem more normal. Then people watched the premiere because the show finally became real-none of the "let's pretend we're a happy family when we're not" schtick. That is why viewership has decreased..no one can relate to them anymore. Not everyone lives in a mansion, gets to take vacations whenever they want and recieves freebies everywhere. Plus it seems odd that the kids act happy when their lives have just been turned upside down. Most kids have immense emotional pain when their parents split up, epecially young ones. And how can they not know what the public says about their parents (at least Mady and Cara!) Maybe it's good that they don't, because then they really would need therapy for the circus their family has become.
" It's gonna be a mess."... Isn't it already a mess?
It's wrong for anyone to blame it all on Jon. I stopped watching this show years ago because I couldn't stand Kate and the way she treated Jon and acted. He should have said and done something then. But, I commend him for finally standing up to her even though it meant the marriage was over. He is acting the way he does now because he feels free and like he's alive again. But Kate is just getting worse and getting more attention.
TLC is as much to blame for this as anyone. They will not shoot their cash cow, even though that cow died last fall.
LOL that's true reality tv
I am so tired of hearing about Jon and Kate and their kids... but then it is kinda like a car crash, no matter how much I don't want to hear about them anymore, I still am getting myself sucked into their stories... I mean, not trying to say anything bad about you, but if I truely didn't want to know anything about them I wouldn't have read this article.
It's high time to break this up. Kate should just count her cash, realise it was good while it lasted, and take a hike now. It's like a trainwreck waiting to happen.
they should bring Jon back and film him getting it on with the baby sitter(s)... if they are going to call it reality t.v., it should be real. Every sordid ugly moment of it. That's how to keep the ratings up!
Enough already! Who cares about this woman and what happens to her show...??
Pawn Stars is the only decent reality show on these days. American Chopper meets Antique Roadshow. Brilliant.
pffft The children love it. Send them out there and make them perform tricks.
Reality TV is ruining TV.. They are taking causing a lot of good shows to be canceld since its cheaper to do reality tv than quality tv.. And the Rating are high on reality tv not because its good but bc its "background tv". People have it on while they are doing stuff outside of watching tv and then later that night they watch the shows they rlly like from the DVR.. This is overlooked by a lot of people and is why for the semi-false high rating
My only guilty reality show pleasures are Hell's Kitchen and 18 Kids and Counting. The Duggers may seem a bit sugary but at least they know how to stick together. Kate should be ashamed of herself for using her kids as a piggybank.
My only guilty reality show pleasures are Hell's Kitch and 18 Kids and Counting. The Duggers may seem a bit sugary but at least they know how to stick together. Kate should be ashamed of herself for using her kids as a piggybank.
I hate reality tv.
This is just wrong, there are eight kids involved here, Jon and Kate are not children they need to grow up and raise those children, they are victims of a spoiled rotten couple.
You care enough to comment, evidently.
Do we really care ?