Knight Rider drops three cast members

Knight Rider was given a full-season order from NBC a few weeks ago and promptly saw its ratings drag immediately after. With that kind of vote of confidence from the network and little to show in return, it appears that the show's producers have decided to kick it up a notch and trim some fat.

The contract options of actors Sydney Tamiia Poitier (who plays Carrie Rivai), Bruce Davison (Charles Graiman), and Yancey Arias (Alex Torres) were not picked up along with the series, meaning they're out. The idea is to bring Knight Rider back to its roots, which is the tale of a young man and his crime-fighting car.

"It's a reboot," showrunner Gary Scott Thompson told The Hollywood Reporter. "We're moving away from the terrorist-of-the-week formula and closer to the original, making it a show about a man and his car going out and helping more regular people, everymen."

The call to axe the characters had nothing to do with the actors, but rather the new angle Knight Rider is taking. Well, that and cost-cutting.

What say you, Knight Rider fans? Are you going to miss them?

when is the next series going to be on,garth could come back in with adrian margo.,..rc 3 bonnie april,,,when will they be in the new series...come on this shows a winner,also get airwolf back on...
What a shame they dumped Bruce, I enjoyed his character. Glad to see Yancey go. In my opinion, Alex Torres was just extraneous and unnecessary.
It's pity that they left the show. Now it's starting to look similar to show Viper, where they also started with support of government and then they became independent.
I just realized that they cut the characters, I loved the show the way it was. I feel that they all shared a great chemistry.
Will miss Charles on the show but the other two were dead weight honestly!
It's good to see them trying to bring Kitt and Mike back to what they do best, kicking random peoples butts, but i do think axing Charles Graiman is pretty bad, because the original Mike Knight grew up knowing him, but if it needs to be done, so be it.
Some of you guys seem to be confused about which characters are being dropped. The article didn't say anything about getting rid of Sarah Graiman. To clarify, the characters which they're getting rid of are the FBI chick, KITT's creator, and Mike's boss(listed in the order that the actors were mentioned by the article).
I share the feeling that KITT is far more powerful and resourceful than the old one, and also I think that the key to solve all problems in the show, 90% comes from the car. They must get back to the basics of the show, but I see NO REASON to remove the CREATOR of the KITT system, the daughter of the Creator. Anyway, if we zap to other channel insteado of supporting the show, when we knew there would be a second season, it's our fault. NBC said "ANOTHER SEASON" and we lost interes in the present season... Then, dont you dare complaint about a future cancellation.
So what now? Renegade mike knight? who is going to maintain kitt? what about karr? terrorist-of-the-week was a bad idea... more 3-4 episode stories with a season long back story to finish the season? not sure if i'd continue to watch this now. we'll see.
I think that they should keep Bruce Davison and Deanna Russo because they can be the new Devin and Bonnie. K.I.T.T. will need maintenance and who better than the creator and his daughter. If they want to return to the basis of the original series; they aught to keep them so mike has someone to check in with aswell. They also can bring back a semi for the road as in the original series but keep the K.I.T.T. Cave and the plane.
They should bring back the Hoff for another episode in which Michael is incapacitated and only one man can save him. Here's hoping they can make the necessary changes and get the show moving again.
So their keeping this show and dumping "My Own Worst Enemy?" That's just stupid! I really hoped "Knight Rider" would be something special, and I have even watched most of the shows so far to give it a fair chance to prove itself. Unfortunately, however, it has failed to live up to it's true potential. Not only have the stories been bad but the relationship crap between the cast members is borderline silly. I feel like I'm watching some bad teen show every episode. The acting is only a small step up from shows like "Saved By the Bell" a lot of the time. That's not to mention the magical car that can turn into any vehicle it wants no matter what the shape or size. It's pretty ridiculous. "My Own Worst Enemy" on the other hand, is a far better show with better actors but NBC just had to put it up against a long standing and popular show with 21 million viewers so it never got the chance it deserved to capture an audience. Like I said, stupid!
I have one thing to say, and that is, bring on the original theme. "Michael Knight: a young loaner on a crusade to champion the innocence of the helpless, the powerless, in a world where criminals live above the law."

The thing with Sarah feels like Clark and Lana from Smallville, which has been bludgeoned to death, so it would be nice if they coul scale that back as well.
I Agree it needs some good and solid stories to tell. Like Prison break or smallville. their gooood! hope you guys dont get axed . I love the KITT and the show
dude grayman is the guy who created KITT. dont u feel he is important.
and going back to root ??? u guys have done this in the 80s! its 2009 soon so it has to be something current generation like seeing. Racing, drifting, massive show offs of the car.
Perhaps they should drop everyone, and just have KITT roam the countryside, talking to himself and us along the way. He could stop in small towns and big cities, transforming from bus to bicycle depending on who he has to help. He could sing for money (for fuel and maintenance), and perhaps the odd somersault, and move on. A kind of Littlest Hobo for the new millenium...
I remember the original show as well and I have to say they're is nothing wrong with getting back to the shows original roots.
I am old enough to remember the orginal and I to say I like this one better. I tuned in to see what it was like. I stayed because Yancey Arias is hot, and I love his charactor Alex Torres. He plays a man who I think has good intnetions but will do what ever it takes to get it done. He's kind of dark and mysterous, that is what I watch. Not sure with him gone it will be must see tv for me. Looks like now I will set my DVR to record Ghost Hunters at instead of Knight Rider as soon as Mr. Arias characher is gone.
I kind of liked the Alex Torres character. But it seemed like they had 3 people who could run the show and they just got rid of all of them. And Sydney Tamiia Portier's character was pretty weak. I feel rather bad for her, because the same thing happened to her on Veronica mars.
I think the show is great as it is. It's fresh and new, my mom even says its way better then the old one.
Too bad, I love the show... but really what this series need is to get darker and have a Season 2 green light !!! there are more fans that rating numbers give, just that a lot of people cannot watch it on TV but thru Internet and sometimes for people outside countries with NBC channels must go underground to watch this and other series... come on people get this series to other countries like Latinamerica !!!
It needs to drop itself and go get the Hoff.
The shaow as it is, is so bad compare to what the fans was wanting and waiting for, that I could just hope it will be making a good change. The actor in question was OK, but the bug with the show is the scripts... So maybe the writers will now make somthing good and not take the spectators for fools ... I can just dream of...
Supermeanmoma, I actually like having both. Look at heroes. It has entertainment, eye candy, and full of complex storylines and plot twist. Knight Rider has this potential. Instead its become a "B" list knock off doomed to be dumped in obscurity. The movie accomplished this, why cant the show do so?
I like this show. Its funny, has lots of action, a very neat car! and the driver is very easy on the eyes too! Maybe its just me but when I sit down to watch TV, its to be entertained and this show does it for me. When I want to see something with content, I watch Discovery, National Geographic or other channels of the same kind!
Why waste time with a re-write just scrap the show now, it's as bad as the original. So many great shows get canned and this rubbish and reheated junk like it stay on....it's criminal.
Wow, didn't see that one coming.
please not more like the old knight rider. Didn't they try that with Team Knight Rider. I'll give the series one season only.
maybe the reboot will actually make it more watchable
Only watched once not as good as the old KNIGHT RIDER
Not to mention that KITT has become the Batman Utility Belt of the Knight Rider series. I mean, seriously, a mini lab in the glove compartment? Transforming into a Pick Up truck? The movie had technology far out technology as did the old series, but it was technology that was believable in. The series answers every problem with what can be found in KITTs glove compartment. LAAAME!
One of the big let-downs of this so far (other than terrible scripts) is the lack of "helping those "everyday" people" & being just another government sponsored "We must save the World (ie: The US) from terrorists" (Now they know what they are).
I saw the title of this article and pretty much knew who was gonna get cut. I watched the premiere and it was trying WAY too hard and was too over the top so I just stopped right there. Reading that it will go back to it's roots as a man and his crime-fighting car....that's enough to make me actually give it a second try. We'll see what happens this time.
oh there are fans. Hard as it is to believe. Every once in a while they rear their ugly face. But anyway, if this shows manages to get better I'll give kudos to everyone involved for picking up a turd from the toilet and making it something worthwhile.
Back to basics, i won't miss those characters, i for one think the new Mike Knight is awsome and is playing the role well, Hazelhoff was of course more of an adult, but this Mike is still a bit of teenager wich makes it fun to watch, at least that's my opinion.

I am a bit said about the KARR storyline, ehat did they do with it, i mean c'mon...

Well 'nuff said, back to basics it is!
I'd start watching again if they got rid of the double wah-wah on the car, and made it a single wah like in the original. Totally ruins it for me.
Great Idea! I mean I loved the New Movie, but the show: HORRIBLE. I rather see Knight Rider 2099. And Im not a big fan of the original, but I respected it enough to enjoy it. This was truly bad. And the thing is, i really want to love this show. I mean I truly do. It has soooo much potential. But its wasted on lame innuendo and horrible jokes. Not to mention the stereotypical characters. Oh, but the worst crime, is what theyve done to KARR....now thats unforgivable.
The new Knight Rider is ok, but not as great as the original, so I suppose there is some sense to the move. I do like Bruce Davidson in it tho.
The characters I like are still there,so no problem...
Well that's gonna be a 'here is the solution to all the questions, let's start anew' thing. Oh well, I think the show is nice and funny, I'm really not looking for a story here, just for once a week enjoyment, so I don't mind, as long as they keep Mike, Sarah and Kitt (and Karr, maybe... :-p )
Certainly won't miss them. I think they slowed the show down... as long KITT stays, it's okay ;)
wrong! you don't need to get rid of the cast, you neesd to write better for them. you still need the team, but the whole new bad guy each week is annoying. however if yo get rid of alex and charles how r we going to find out about their involvement in micheal's memory loss?
Over on the NBC forums they had a topic running about this very thing, after the first couple of episodes. I guess they listen to their fans. I think the idea shows promise. However I will be sorry to see Charles Graiman go. He seemed to add a bit of wisdom (or the appearance of it). But I have noticed that he hasn't had much more than small bits in each episode. Maybe he was looking for more. Hopefully we'll still see him guest star a couple times each season with a more in depth role.
I think it's a shame they dropped Sydney Tamiia Poitier...they should have given her more partners. More lesbian action, THAT'S what the show also needs! ;p
The whole show needs a re-write and new cast, and maybe producers and writers.
Meow! Be nice people. There are Knight Rider fans out there. It's not pulling in the numbers expected, but its hardly a flop either. I liked Bruce Davidson because he played Graiman from the original series, and I thought he was crucial. I will still watch though. I will admit to finding Mike Knight a bit stiff, and not in that good way. I'm hoping his character gets better and the actor calms into the role some. Otherwise, jabs at Val Kilmer not withstanding, I absolutely love KITT, which is the driving force (pardon the pun) of the show. The Halloween episode, once its revealed that it wasn't all a joke, was positively chilling. I think good things will come out of a KARR story line. Anyone who says they wouldn't want KITT, would be lying. LOL
I won't necessarily miss them but I'm just glad that my two favorite characters are still in it.
I though bruce davidson was great. his character built kitt and is sarahs father, how are they going to get rid of him with out that causing something with sarah. I guess sarah will be taking over as the chief engineer for KITT.
ok i can see getting rid of Sydney Tamiia Poitier she wasnt really necessary to the show from what I could see but why the other two? I mean wasnt Bruce Davidson playing the same roll that the guy with the gray hair did in the original knight rider? and as for Alex Torres I was looking forward to seeing what happened to him once Mike found out about his involvement in his past. (unless theyre gonna jump to that revelation in the comming episodes and kill Alex Torres off)
Fine, more time for Mike, Sarah, Billy, and Zoe.
Load More Comments