Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas Want You to Help Pay for a Veronica Mars Movie

You know that Veronica Mars movie that you've been wanting so badly? Well it's time to put your money where your mouth is, so-called number-one Veronica Mars fan. Give up the green, spill the duckets, MAKE IT RAIN! Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and star Kristen Bell are going to the people for funding for the movie, starting a Kickstarter campaign and asking for fans to chip in, oh, just two million bucks.

If the campaign reaches its goal within 30 days, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution will put the movie in production and pay for the extra costs, like marketing, promotion, and distribution. The target for release would be early 2014, with a limited run in theaters and then appear on video-on-demand services and that ilk.

The movie would apparently take place around Veronica's 10-year high-school reunion.

While using Kickstarter for movies and television shows isn't unheralded, going to fans for helping fund the revival of a property of this magnitude is. What does that mean? It's going to have some sweet rewards for those who do donate, including copies of the script (for $10 donations), limited edition t-shirts (for $25 donations), all the way to getting a speaking role in the movie (a whopping $10,000 donation).

Could this be a future model for wrap-ups for television shows that never happened? At least one showrunner has taken notice:

While we're at it, let's get that [insert that show you love that got canceled] movie Kickstarter going.

Grab your wallet and head over to the Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter page. As of press time, more than $400,000 had been pledged in just a few hours.

[UPDATE] They did it. Piece of cake. $2 million and still counting.

Anything for LoVe :)
I want to scream a little every time someone says get Firefly a movie this way! It has a movie! What do you think Serenity was? That's so much more then most shows get and it was a great partner/conclusion for the series. Have people just forgotten?
Cool idea. It'd be a great way for fans to be apart of getting the things they want to see be made.
Canadian fans that held back because of the lack of rewards: Check the updates!

Canada just got recognized as not being nearly as international as the rest of us. :) j/k
Wow 3.3 million already, this is the future, lets get one started for THE UNIT "god I miss that show"

So just incase nobody heard it

Lets get the one started for THE UNIT
Frack!! They got it? And for this long dead show? Just when I was about to write "no way in hell it gets it", I read the update. Damn! Congrats.
they now have 3.2 million. Just giving an update for anyone interested.
The British Progressive band Marillion first did this 12 years ago. However, your $25 dollars didn't just get your name onto the credits list. It actually bought you a special edition copy of the disc. So fine, ask for the money up front, but make it a set price for a ticket, a higher price for a disc, etc. oh, and no studio movie gets made for 2 million anymore. On a good day that wouldn't even pay Kirsten Bell's salary. You can bet she is kicking in, even if it is just a pay cut for more back-end. That, plus product placement and other incentives will pay the balance. My feeling is that if you are really a fan, you're willing to kick in a little. I would definitely send in $25 for more Terriers, or Jericho, FlashForward or Stargate Universe. Or any of a dozen others. And yes, this may in some small way change how new shows are financed or produced. But maybe it will also allow for networks like NBC or FOX to broadcast more than 2 or 3 episodes of a show like Zero Hour or Made in Jersey if the viewers have some skin in the game?
I don't care that much about VM, but I am definitely waiting to see what Shawn Ryan has to say next. If they raise enough money, would they instead do another season only title and promote it better? Even years later, most people have no idea what Terriers is, or how good it is!
Just a few thoughts...
-Look, fandom isn't logical, is it? A film that would have some camping out for days
others wouldn't stop to watch turning past it on TV. No need to belittle, just
Different strokes for different folks (shoutout to you, Gary Coleman, wherever you are!)
-If you buy a ticket for a movie at the theater, you're financially backiing that movie, you just backed it after it was made. If you loved it and bought the Blu-ray a couple months later, well you just backed it again. For the price of a digital download, those of us who donated are just pre-backing it, some just donated more than others
-As big a VM fan as I am(and I'll put my fan card up against anybody! haha) I wouldn't have contributed if I sensed in anyway that this was a project that either Rob Thomas or Kristen were just doing to tap into past glory, we've seen that before and it turns out badly, so badly. Rob and Miss Bell have been on this crusade since the show ended, and we VM fans have been with them.
- as for the studios, where do I start...look, every year we see the forums rise up here to try and save a show, or to bitch about the show that wasn't saved. Well, the studios are the evil that pulls the plug, but unfortunately for us fans, at least for now, they are a necessary evil. Maybe in the future fans will be able to fund projects entirely and share the rewards (How awesome would that be...I can see it now...Freaks and Geeks, followed by Veronica Mars, followed by Firefly, followed by Chuck....and that's just what's on Tuesdy night!!haha)
-and lastly (before carpal tunnel kicks in) BREAKING NEWS.....life isn't fair
I know I know you're shocked.....someone's making sneakers for pennies that sell for hundreds, life isn't fair
Fans are donating to a project they love which will profit the studio which should have BACKED THE PROJECT FROM THE BEGINNING!!
life isn't fair
just give me my 'Ronnie Mars
Cheers to all you Neptune Pirates

so it doesnt bother you one bit that these 2 on their "crusade" could have backed the movie them selves?
Um, that's the wrong Rob Thomas, that link is for the Matchbox 20 guy...
nice catch
Warner Brothers owns the rights to Veronica Mars. No one can make a VM movie without them, even Rob Thomas. Let's say Thomas and Bell go to the studio with 10 million between them and say they want to make a VM movie. In Warner Brothers eyes that will show that exactly 2 people want a VM movie made. RobThomas and Kristen Bell. We may love the show, but to the studio this is business. They don't care how much the actors and writers and fans love the show. It's the same reason VM hasn't been released on Blu-ray; the studio isn't convinced there are enough people who will buy it to make it profitable. To the studio 50,000 fans raising almost 3 million in 1 day shows to them that there are real life fans who will support their project and give it a chance to be profitable. It's the same reason fans buying sandwiches at Subway helped save Chuck more then a simple write-in campaign could: it shows them fans are willing to support their show with more then just words, with actual money.
The majority of people are donating under 35 bucks, and for that they're getting the DVD. It's basically preordering. I've spent more than that on some crappy Blu-rays that I now use as coasters.
More +
And I don't blame Joss Whedon either for not funding the second season of my beloved Firefly
Cheers
i can't wait for steven spielberg to ask us for a 20 million kickstarter to make Terranova the movie, and then just give us jurassic park with the new characters edited in.
maybe Disney can hold Star Wars 8 hostage for 100,000,000 to the fans

or Lucas can threaten to make Indiana Jones 5 unless we pay him 500,000,000 after the travesty of Indy 4 I'd definitely chip in lol
Back in 1999, a show on the Sci Fi channel started, but this show would end unbecoming my all time favorite show, and that show was is called Farscape. In it an astronaut named John Crichton is testing a small space shuttle of his own design as a first step in basically gaining the speed and ability to explore deep space, when an accident causes his ship to go through a wormhole taking him billions of light years from Earth. He ends up being taken on board a ship of various species in the middle of a prison break, but they are not the villains, they are on the run from a species that ironically look human on the outside at least, called Peacekeepers when they are really like space nazis. the typed of ship hes on are living creatures, both biological and mechanical, the female ones actually get pregnant and give birth to new ones. And so while trying to survive with his shipmates who argue and dont always get along. Star Trek this is not, It is unlike any other Sci Fi show ever made, the world or the universe created, the alien species, of course the main character a human along with aliens that other than their looks and strange traditions, if you close your eyes and listen they are no different than humans at times. Plus it's done by the Jim Henson company, now bare with me, some of the aliens are basically muppets, two of the main characters are, and yet they are so realistic looking used after a while you see them as real beings. Anyway I didn't mean to write so much, I watched and loved the show, than in 03 they said season 4 would be the end of the series, what they didn't say was that it was planned to be a five season total show and when the advertised final episode ended with a cliffhanger, needless to say I was pissed. Thankfully though over the next few years fans campaigned and whatnot and they finally made a mini series that wrapped it up. it was the first time I had ever seen that happen and I'm so happy VM, a show I loved as well, is finally getting a well deserved movie

Ok I have seen alot of suggestions for other shows to get continued/wrap up movies that I agree with and would love to have as well. Like another Serenity movie, Jericho. How about Flashforward, The Event, Invasion, the secret circle. But more than any other I wanted see that nobody mentioned six Twin Peaks
so..let me get this straight...fans are paying for a movie before paying for a movie?

lol producers are missing out...they are staking all these hollywood movies and TV shows... and they dont even get a t-shirt? instead they have to settle for a cut of the movies profits..psht what a bunch of suckers producers are...oh wait my bad the fans donating here are the suckers
So, I guess, every time I buy something I want I am a sucker? Well, give me a lollypop because I seem to like it.
if thats the message that you take from what I'm trying to say you're not a sucker...you're an idiot lol
:-D
Fans contributing for this movie are not only making it happen but also getting awesome rewards for the contributions (pdfs of the script, blueray/dvd copies, movie posters, even a speaking role in the movie.). Read the project statement.
I read it...its a complete sucker deal...they are just allocating risk onto the fans its the equivalent of me buying stock in apple and instead of getting the dividend they send me an f'ing t-shirt
hell I wouldnt be surprised if it cost 1 million to make (what they were asking for) they arent exactly making Avatar 2 here... and now they can pocket the excess $

you know somethings wrong when hollywood stars ask the fans to kick in money when they could easily put it up them selves
I wasn't saying people wont want to see it...I used Avatar as an example of cost as in Avatar cost a lot to make and a million wouldn't even dent production cost.. was not referring to viewership..

My problem is that a pledge of people asking for the show/movie should be enough (they'll watch it and the movie/show gets paid for the way it should through adds tickets merchandise or whatever)...the fact that the company said "oh if we got $1,000,000 from fans we'll do it"

I think its unethical to take advantage of fans this way and allocate the risk onto their wallets
It's an excellent idea, just because it isn't Avatar 2 (to use your example) doesn't mean people don't want to see this. Also, it's not a sucker deal; if you don't like it then walk away, who cares? If you do like VM, you can donate some money (it doesn't even have to be more than one dollar!) and contribute something to this project you want to see happen. What's bad about that? Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything here.
Gosh! Would you believe it is at $2,661,972 already!!!
I like the Idea, but is better be one HELL of a movie! Not no cheap low budget look either
your poll has the two worst possible options, so i chose neither and abstain.
and, uh, by duckets do you mean ducats? or did you misspell bucket, MAKE IT RAIN?
where is this free tv you speak of? mos of us pay monthly cable bills, heh
Just because this is above goal don't let that stop you from donating if you haven't already. I don't think all of this money will be going to the movie. That's a lot of goodies they're going to have to send out to people.
Awesome. The movie is a go.
The idea of Kickstarter is to help small unknowns get funding to produce material. The danger of a big production using those funds is that big productions could take it over.
While this is a danger, the studios have to realize that when they go this route with a project, they are accepting plenty of up front money but sacrificing a lot from the other end. The people who kickstart the VM movie aren't going to buy a ticket at a movie theater and aren't going to buy the DVD months later (they'll already have one from Kickstarter), which are the main ways studios make money from films. While it seems like the VM project is a success right now, if it doesn't generate enough buzz and completely bombs at the box office, WB will still view this as a failure and studios will steer clear. This initial push will probably spark a rush of projects to be put on Kickstarter, but when the dust settles, it will simply be a way for those especially rabid fans (and very loyal cast members) to get more of a show that either never had a chance, got screwed over somehow.
I think you're right: a big initial push and an eventual shakeout. This tool will clearly only work for projects with an existing fanatical audience.

In addition, audiences are skeptical (usually). I think people need to believe that their funding matters for a Kickstarter campaign to work. I don't think anyone would contribute to Avengers 2 because everyone knows the movie will get made without public support. In this case people really did seem to believe that public funding was the only way to get this fan-favorite made.

A big commercial movie is also really different from a local documentary film. I don't think consumers will view them as comparables and decide to fund one over the other.
Something I would have like to see would be a tribute to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, where the top contributor gets to play a hotel concierge who says "Paging Ms. Mars, Ms. Veronica Mars, you have a call at the front desk."
The Secret Circle anyone???!!!!
I donated 20 bucks last year on their saveawitch campaing but I'm willing to chip in a little more if it really happens :D
Woohoo, I just donated too!
2.5 million already, wow, hopefully people will continue to donate, giving VM the change to make a kick-ass movie!
BTW, everyone can donate, NOT just people from the US. You just can't get all the cool goodies (except for a pdf of the script, which is cool too).
I just hope I will be able to buy it on dvd when it comes out, because it definitly won't be in theaters where I live.
Really, this could whole thing could mean so much to others as well. Think of all the projects that could be made this way!
I would think the high shipping costs have a lot to do with the international problem. Especially since they doubled this year. I do believe they'd have to increase the amounts for international fans. They'd make nothing on a $25 donation where they'd have to have a t-shirt printed up and shipped internationally. They could even lose money on that.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear on what I meant exactly. I thought people asumed you couldn't donate at all from outside of the US. But yeah, it's just the goodies you can't get because, like you said, I'm sure it would just be too expensive to ship, which makes sense, obviously. But in the end, you want to donate to get the movie made right? Not just to get goodies..? I hope ;)
JERICHO!

WE NEED A JERICHO KICKSTARTER!

Oh my god I miss Jericho (& Skeet)
FIREFLY! Fireflyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was an awesome idea, I'm so glad it worked!
If only international fans could also fund the movie :(
International fans can fund the movie (I did). You just won't get any of the prizes that have to be shipped out. All an international fan can get is a pdf version of the movie script & updates.

On the site Rob Thomas says they're trying to work something out so that international fans can get the other things as well, like a movie poster, dvd copies, a t-shirt etc.
It's now 09:10 in the Netherlands, so 00:10 in LA and already $ 2.5 mln came in. I think you can say this is a success. It took just one day.
If this works, maybe we'll finally find a way to make a Chuck movie. Or maybe that long awaited Buffy movie where she and Angel finally get to be together (and be happy) for longer than 24 hours.
And we got our movie!!! It's official! :)
Btw, Mr. Sarcastic Tim, are you eating your words now? "oh, just 2 million bucks"
And now where's the Kickstarter for Secret Circle??
I just hope that concept piece for season four turns out to have been a nightmare.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Veronica Mars fans are the best
The studios have no idea who they're messin' with
Best money I've ever spent
How awesome would it be if after seeing all this outpouring of support from the VM fans,
both emotionally and now financially,
if the CW (or even a good network haha; remember , the CW replaced VM with the pussycat dolls!!!))
Anyway, I digress, how cool would it be if they would come crawling back and try to relaunch the show
I know, I know, just wishful thinking...
but a guy can dream can't he?
Cheers to all you Neptune Pirates
Honestly after the movie I do think there's a good chance someone will want to bring the show back. Especially if it's a success and sells well. Bell is busy with House of Lies but after that in maybe 2-3 years, depending on how long it runs. But really I don't see it getting more than 5 seasons. And that's at most.
That's cool and all but I wonder if they exceed profit expectations, who will get that extra cash? Studio that wasn't willing to pay for the movie? Or actors and crew who I'm sure chipped less than the fans.
People sould read the statement of the campaign before making assumptions. 1) You're not just paying to have the movie made and then you have to pay again to watch it, you're paying for amazing rewards that otherwise you wouldn't get. (I know you didn't complain about this, but I just needed to make it clear). And what kind of logic is: "Desperate. Why should WE have to pay? I'll stick to free TV as it's supposed to be."? The question is why shouldn't you pay for entertainment you actually want to watch? 2) They make it clear both in the video and in the project statement what the "extra" money will be used for (i.e. it's not extra money).
It's going to go into making the film. Getting more actors, better sets/locations, etc.... 2 Million was the minimum they'd need for the studio to agree to allow the film to be made and for them to front marketing costs. I'm sure Bell and Rob will be putting in what they can too, not to mention doing this for barely nothing. I hope it can get at least 5 Million.
I'm a backer!
It's crazy cool how fans have rallied together for the show. But I'd be worried about the quality of the movie and the script with all of these random additions and whatnot.
Rob is clever enough to incorporate 6 names into the dialogue without making it obvious. Aside from that, what additions? Extras that were going to be in the movie anyway?
A Freaks and Geeks movie would be awesome!
okay. so i will vote for this, but if She gets a movie then CHUCKsters need a movie too
serenity 2.
hmm yup. nothing else comes to mind..
It's great that they already met their initial goal. I was a big fan of the show so I'm still going to chip in a bit.
The news that they hit 2 million and are still steadily climbing has made my day.
This lets the Networks know that the fans care.
Such a great day! I read about this....just watched a kick ass 2 trailer.. took a nice romantic walk to the fridge... flew some kites. All around good day!
Did not know they even made Kick Ass 2!, and now you have helped to make my day as well!
i'm having the exact same day. it's wonderful
The promotional video they made was awesome, i love them all so much!!!!!
just checked and they've well surpassed the goal, now they should start a new one to make WB release the whole series on Blu-ray.. if Friends can do it!
BluRay? Why? BluRay is just lame...
I think you meant to say "DVD is just lame"
Blu-ray is awesome. Sucks watching this on DVD on my HDTV. Quality not so good.
especially if it's above a 40 inch TV
I wonder who paid 10k just to say "here's your check, sir"
Dude that goes by the name, Steven Dengler.
It's already past the goal! WOOOOW!
Awesome. That show got cut so short. The fact that the goal was met so quickly showcases how much interest there is.
And we've officially reached over $2 million!!! The VM fanbase is certainly one of a kind.
Holy cow we made 2 mill in less than 24 hours!! Veronica Mars fans represent!!!!!
This isthe best news i have heard in a long time!!!!!!!!
Load More Comments