Legacies' Romances Will Be Way Less Creepy Than The Vampire Diaries'

Much like The Vampire Diaries, Legacies, will take place in a high school full of supernatural beings, and given that it's on The CW, we can probably expect it to be filled with some seriously sexy hookups. On the other hand, showrunner Julie Plec has promised that this new series plans to avoid the problematic nature of some of the relationships established on The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

When it comes to the vampire students on Legacies, Plec assured reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that all of them would genuinely be teenagers, rather than centuries-old vampires who just happen to look like teenagers. Part of the reasoning behind that choice had to do with the fact that Plec was originally uncomfortable with The Vampire Diaries' premise that essentially had very old men falling in love and hooking up with teenage girls.

"When I read The Vampire Diaries and I thought, 'Well, God, that's weird. Stefan's technically been on this Earth for, like, 162 years and Elena's 17,' and I said I'm just going to let it go, because Edward was older," Plec said. "And, like, that was literally, like, people seem cool with Edward and Bella, so they're going to be cool with this and that's just the end of it, and I'm going to, like, just put my head down and power through."

Legacies: Everything We Know About The Originals Spin-Off

Times have changed though, and in the last decade (and even the last year alone), public opinion about the way young women are portrayed in media and more importantly the way romantic dynamics are portrayed has come under stricter scrutiny. The radical age difference that was acceptable in 2009 when The Vampire Diaries premiered might not have been looked on so kindly by a 2018 audience, which was also a factor in the decision not to include that trope.

"There is something deeply romantic in that gothic and harlequin romance kind of way, and deeply inappropriate if you look at it through another lens," Plec said of The Vampire Diaries' romances. "And now, in 2018, there just is only one lens in my opinion in this moment, and I'm cool with that... So it's actually we've tried to be a little bit just socially responsible for the moment. It also opened doors for us to tell vampire stories that we haven't actually told yet. So it's fun."

While fans might miss that "harlequin" element of the Delena and Stelena romances, it's at least a little bit reassuring to know that they won't have to rationalize why it's totally not creepy that Hope Mikaelson (Danielle Rose Russell) is falling into bed with a guy who could technically be 40 or 400.

Legacies premieres Thursday, Oct. 25 at 9/8c on The CW.

(Full Disclosure: TV Guide is owned by CBS, a parent company of The CW).

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Aug 10, 2018
I resigned my office-job and now I am getting paid £64 hourly. How? I work over internet! My old work was making me miserable, NCf so I was forced to try something different, two years after...I can say my life is changed-completely for the better!
Check it out what i do... www.jobs63.com
Aug 10, 2018
Part of the reasoning behind that choice had to do with the fact that Plec was originally uncomfortable with The Vampire Diaries'premise that essentially had very old men falling in love and hooking up with teenage girls. Look for real one.............CLICK►►HOME► MEDIA► TECH►AND MORE https://bit.ly/2NYo70r
Aug 10, 2018
Umm... Didn't Hope already have a romance with that racist vampire who had like decades over her?

Besides, I don't think anyone describing the Vampire Diaries or the Originals as "creepy" talks about the age differences. It has to do more with things like most of the characters are mass murderes or just serial rapists and killers while still somehow considered "good" cause they are physically attractive.
Guess it's good for our moral compass that Hitler was short and ugly, huh?

Not to mention Plec's obsession with suicide based storylines on both the Originals and Vampire Diaries.
Aug 09, 2018
I resigned my office-job and now I am getting paid £64 hourly. How? I work over internet! My old work was making me miserable,AGd so I was forced to try something different, two years after...I can say my life is changed-completely for the better!
Check it out what i do........... www.jobs63.com
Aug 09, 2018
On one hand I understand why that dynamic can be seen as and considered problematic in some ways. However on the other hand, 1. It's fiction seeing as how they are vamps, 2. It's not as weird as they are making it seem, vampires are dead and were alive till age whatever, often times late teens or 20's. So if someone died as a teen, becoming a vamp, then yes they have been on the earth for however many years but they are and will always be, in some ways, the age they were when they died. Yes they have lived many more years than an ordinary person of that age, but realistically time/experience/years doesn't always make one more mature or "older". 3. If you are taking a fiction concept aka vampires, then you can't compare the fictional concept of a technically "162 year old person" being with a 17 year old to an actual old man and teen. It's far from being comparable. Vamps are dead. So technically they are just walking around as a forever teen or something.
To me these concerns seems like a bit of a stretch due to the supernatural nature of the concepts that are being criticized
Aug 09, 2018
Only snowflakes look at this as "weird". It's a TV show with fictional characters, get over it. Been following these series since it debuted in 2009 and never had a problem with it.
Aug 09, 2018
nice................www.101pays.com

Aug 09, 2018
Ok. Nice. But whAt do you think about it http://albmark.com ????