Leverage Is Officially (Almost) Over: The Season 5 Finale Will Be the Series Finale, Too

TNT is giving Leverage fans a lump of coal for Christmas this year. And by "lump of coal," I mean "a season finale that will now be the series finale." After staying mum for months on whether the series would get a sixth season, the network has canceled it less than a week before the Season 5 finale, which is set to air on Christmas Day.

The news isn't a total surprise; a few weeks ago, Leverage executive producer Dean Devlin wrote an open letter to fans announcing that, due to the uncertainty over whether the show would be renewed, he and series co-creator John Rogers "decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot." So viewers can at least count on getting some closure (although next time we'd appreciate a heads-up BEFORE we post our annual In Memoriam video, TNT!).

Devlin responded to the news with an emotional, gratitude-filled second letter to fans, saying:

It has been decided today that this Tuesday’s episode of Leverage “The Long Goodbye Job” will be the series finale as TNT has decided not to renew the show for a sixth season.
...
I’m so happy we were able to film the series finale we had always envisioned and I’m happy we’re able to present it on Christmas as our gift to you. It’s a bittersweet goodbye.

Kind of a crummy (if not surprising) move on TNT's part to not only schedule a season finale on a major holiday, but to wait so long to decide a verdict and then announce a cancellation the Friday before that major holiday when half the country is schlepping around an airport with a carry-on bag full of fruitcake.

But hey, five seasons and a "proper" series finale have to count for something, right?

I loved this show. Getting justice and provide fairness is a great thing in this day and age. The cast was perfect. Shows do well when the cast clicks and this one sure did.
This is a great show, one that I can watch with my 10 year old and not have to mute the TV every 5 minutes because of inappropriate content. It's not gross with rotting dead bodies or way to intense with torture scenes that make me cringe. It's creative and well written, I love Hardison and all of his sarcasm and he and Elliot's relationship is tooo funny!! I love the interactions between them. (And how hot is Elliot...mmmmm....he can save me anyday...lol!)
This show has it all, action, comedy, romance, and real good guys that finish first and it works out very creatively. I miss that on TV good guys that don't do awful things for the "greater good". I will miss this show!!
Erica Justice
I just happened to be searching for the name of an actor I couldn't remember or I wouldn't have even seen this! And I've been wondering when Leverage woould be back on. It's wrong!!!! There are sooo many bad shows out there, and Leverage is so good. The cast clicks, the story lines are not only for the most part really good, in several ways: funny, exciting, romantic, even poignant to the point of tears (Nate's son; his father); and so many stories to come. Carter's still being socialized, plus her relationship with Hardison, and I at least don't know Sophie's real name (if it was announced), or if she really is a member of a titled British family. If I'd known the season finale was to be the final episode,I'd have saved the recorded copy!

And on top of Leverage, Rizzolit & Isles??? Y'know, maybe poor ratings were a result of shuffling these shows all over the place each season. I am more disappointed than I can express, especially when I think of all the planned ends of series, like Sons of Anarchy (which I never expected to like, watched it one ight during season 2, and fell in love). What's left? All reality shows, all the time? Please spare me. I can't even imagine who they'll get to judge American Idol, with both Randy Jackson and Mariah Carey leaving. The judges are supposed to actually be adept at judging singing (which is why I could never understand even the brief inclusion of Ellen DeGeneres). Nicky MInaj - If I have to listen to her annoying nasal voice anymore I may go insane. (And aside from the fact that Mariah probably joined as a favor to her friend and producer Randy, who in hell does Minaj think she is to show such disrespect for Mariah??? Mariah earned her place in music Royalty, and both while she was coming up and still today, she has alway showed respect for those greats who preceded her, whatever the tabloids say. NOT so for Minaj).
I didnt see the final eposide but I am disappointed that they were cancelled I tried watching it when I had cable but it was hard because of work. Very good show it will be missed. :-( Well try to find past eposide on the World Wide Web. :-)
I'm so confused... Were the ratings bad?
I don't understand the best TV show on, Leverage, being canceled. Since it won People's Choice, how are shows picked. Obviously not by ratings
Vote for leverage

The SpoilerTV Favourite TV Series Competition 2013 - Day 7 - The Mentalist vs. Merlin & The Walking Dead vs. Leverage

Polls close july 23 morning
They won a People's Choice Award after being cancelled, at least the public KNOWS DRAMA!!! (If you didn't get that was a play on TNT KNOWS DRAMA)
Vote for leverage

Polls close july 23 morning
There goes one of the few light hearted and fun without being shallow shows left on tv. Characters who were just that little bit quirky, not too boringly stereotypical and just enjoyable to follow around. And who doesn't love that bit of Robin Hoodesque storyline especially in todays real life corporate greed cesspool of a world.
Thanks for the memories and so long.
i hate to say it but they need to make a movie or something
Don't hate to say it. Might be only way we get to see it again.
They need to, at least, make a spin-off with Parker, Elliot, and HArdison. Oh, pleeassseeeeeeeeee... my life just got so very... grey. ;-/
I'm surprised I'm only the second to mention a spinoff. ::shrug:: Anyway, A Hardison/Parker/Spencer continuation would be uber watchable imho.
Leverage International FTW!!
er...third, actually. my bad :|
Since I don't see a review for the finale, I'll just mention it here. I thought it was pretty great. And I would TOTALLY watch a spinoff of Hardison, Parker, and Eliot. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting one, simply because it'd be pretty much the same show and therefore there wouldn't have been a reason to cancel this one.
This made me sad to hear, of course I imagine if I lived in England I would feel the same about Merlin, but at least they still had half a season left when it happened. Looking back at the season, you could kind of see it coming as the cons were a little too neat and complete. Heck, the show kind of telegraphed itself with two of the best episodes of the series when they split the team into the portions they did in the season finale and never really mentioned the other team. I wonder if then they saw the signs and decided, well, lets give our fans a glimpse...Hardison, Parker and Eliot would be a sweeter nature but dangerous drama (I can't really categorize it, I really liked the episode maybe better than the Nate and Sophie episode) and Nate and Sophie would kind of be a caper based Nick/Nora type show.
Um---All Nick & Nora (A/K/A Thin Man) is caper-based. Those movies were ones I used to watch with my grandmother. Even when we were apart, we'd call each other halfway thru to compare theories, then again at the end to sum up. Just thinking of them brings back such bittersweet memories. She was in so much pain, and her life had become so limited, but she loved doing that with me. SHE'D have most definitely loved this show!
While I'm disappointed that it's been cancelled, I'm also surprised that it lasted this long, considering how non-scummy the show has remained. It seems that sleaze and sensationalism are unfortunately what really sell, as shown by all the promos for many "hit shows" that promise "Next week -- the most controversial/shocking/outrageous/extreme episode yet!" Even without such low-ball, no-class tactics, Leverage lasted for five years; I doubt that whatever show they replace it with will rise to even half its level in terms of quality, although it may get higher ratings.
Please TNT, make a Spin-Off with Hardison, Parker and Elliot. We need shows that show us that the good guys can outwit the evil ones. This was real good family entertainment. Don´t let Leverage die completly, go on with Leverage International, please. This could be great hook for you to introduce some other crews sporadically, where some heists may even go not so smooth as with the original team.
I agree with other comments that Leverage is one of the best written shows on TV. Certainly better than the upcoming Dallas show. However, when it is over, I guess it is over.
Don't be a defeatist. Nothing is ever over.
TNT couldn't make themselves look any worse. Cancelling the show with no notice, three days before Christmas and the airing of the final episode is a "Scrooge" move if I ever saw one. Who do they have choosing their lineup? How could anyone at TNT justify renewing a show like Franklin and Bash and cancelling Leverage? Sadly it seems to be a year of all my favorite shows ending. Any show that is unique or different is ending or getting cancelled. I cannot watch one more cop/lawyer/hospital drama or singing/karaoke reality show, which seems all any of the networks execs care about keeping on the air anymore (when they are not stealing show ideas from the USA network). It makes me glad I cancelled my cable. The only hope I see for anything entertaining in our future is Internet based TV. We can only hope that Internet TV can figure out a way to create the amount of revenue needed for quality shows to be produced independently. Otherwise, our entertainment choices will continue to be at the mercy of those network idiots that decide programming.
I am about ready to cancel my cable and just listen to music and read. When the best show on TV is canceled for no apparent reason than an Idiots Choice, I'll just listen to Christian sing.
You can't end this show!!!! no no no!!!!! this show is great! has been great! and would still be great!!! if you just don't make this the end!!!! What a bummer I can't believe it! stupid stupid stupid!!!! There is plenty of crap on tv and when something finally comes on that is clever entertaining and enjoyable you cancel it WTF!
I hurt watching because TNT was saying Season Finale, I know people are unhappy with TNT, but would other channels have given Leverage the same opportunity. It was a great ending and a great run, I loved the full circle ending. Thank you to everyone on the Leverage Production, I loved the ride. I would not be opposed to some TV movies...just saying.
I really enjoyed the Series Finale :) They managed to pull of a logic ending ;)
Vote for leverage

Polls close july 23 morning
You have got to be kidding the Best Show that You have on the air and you
DROP IT . The show's like Castle and The Mentalist will not last as long even though
You are trying to ram them down Our Throat's . By televising them 45% of your AIR TIME
trying to make US the PEOPLE that WATCH YOUR SHOW'S LIKE THEM . IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get in touch with the Producers and Place Leverage Back On YOUR LINEUP . WE NEED A SHOW THAT THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN WATCH AND NOT BE AFRAID OF SOMEONE DIEING ALL THE TIME OR CUSSING EVERY LINE . LEVERAGE IS WHAT WE WANT AND WHAT AMERICA NEED'S A GOOD WHOLESOME SHOW . LEVERAGE . LEVERAGE . LEVERAGE . LEVERAGE . LEVERAGE . The Best Show For The Last Five Years . And Can Be For The Next Next TEN Years . A VERY CONCERNED VEIWER .
Amen
With so many big / great shows cancelled this year i am thinking they must have a great lot of new pilots..
And maybe they needed to shake up the cast. Yes, we all liked our five main characters, and didn't want to see anyone leave. Other then Jeri Ryan, who never quite seemed to fit (and maybe that's why they didn't try again) and was always pretty clearly the "Placeholder until Gina Bellman has her child and then she's gone" fill-in, they never really tried this.
While I'm as big a fan of the show as anyone, I think the problem is the same one that they had with Mission Impossible: there's only so many cons that they can run before they're doing the same thing with minor variations. As a writer, old or new, I can see where it would be a difficult show to write for. How do you bring a personal touch to a show that is so "locked in"?

On the other hand, you kind of wish they'd have expanded the writing staff and brought in a few "guests." So many shows seem to get stuck with the same ten writers and directors.It's a great production crew (listen to the DVD commentaries--and the crew does commentaries for every episode), but it would have helped if they'd sought out a few new one-shot writers. Doctor Who got Neil Gaiman. X-Files got Stephen King to do an episode. Aren't there any detective/mystery/con writers out there that they could have found to write one episode a season?

So I'll miss it, but as others noted, Season Five was kind of stagnant. They were either falling back on the standard tropes (Big Bird, Blue Line, Low Low Price), or were trying to write way outside the box (D.B. Cooper, Rundown, Frame-Up), or trying to throw way too much unbelievable stuff at us (Big Bird, First Contact, White Rabbit). Better they go out on a high note.
I agree with your take completely. Very few things this season really made me think the show was growing.
I think the problem is something they note in the role-playing game, of all places. The characters are already the best they are at what they do. To challenge them, the writers either have to have something go wrong outside of their control, or they have to do their job so well that they overcompensate and cause a problem that way. Too many episodes this year went pretty much the way they planned. Big Bird, Real Fake Car, First Contact, Gimme a K... they all pretty much went without a hitch. And hey, it's hard to come up with believable complications. Corkscrew was good, with the fact that what they did didn't matter because the analyst was bribed. White Rabbit was kind of a weird exception, but really it feels like they've explored all the "this is how something can go wrong" possibilities that they have.
You CAN NOT cancel Leverage !! This is the best show that don't repeat the story line.. Please don't cancel it . TNT always cancels its best watched shows. I. If it is not broken don't fix it. Keep Leverage going full steam ..
knew this was coming due to tnt not doing any ads for the new seasons of the show
While I knew it was coming I'm still bummed. I truly am. Leverage was one of the only shows still airing that made me feel good. I get immersed in every imaginable show there is, but Leverage was like the only show left for me that I could watch with the entire family and just feel good. It's a feel good type of show that made me smile from the time it started to the time it ended. It still continues to be one of the few shows where I can watch reruns and enjoy them every bit as much as I did the first time I watched them. The cast was easily one of my favorite on television. Their real life closeness and bond came through in the characters. Some of the best chemistry on air. I'm going to miss the show a lot. I'm going to miss the "kids" of the bunch most of all, as Parker, Hardison, and Eliot were my favorites. They had a nice run, and unfortunately couldn't steal a sixth season, but I am grateful that we'll get the closure unlike so many other shows. At least Dean had the foresight to see that they may not have gotten the pickup...but TNT holding off so long for the confirmation and dropping it before Xmas like that was low.

I'm still pissed about my Breakout Kings. I like my con shows dammit! Now all I have left...I think, is White Collar.
Go Steal a 6th Season on another network!
Even though Leverage hasn't been in my rotation for a couple yrs now, I think I'll tune in just to see how it all ends....Also, gotta add, Leverage is still better then 75% of the garbage that is on the air right now. I'm looking at you, CSI Uranus....
seems foolish to cancel this show, it's a lot of fun and the cast very much seems to enjoy it- i could understand if nate wanted to leave and sophie was pregnant again, but tv execs are idiots, nothing at all new here
Amazing show. Why don´t they cancel somthing else. I will miss it.
Good point. There are plenty of shows worth cancel it (rating wise and other wise). Leverage is not one of them.
Not the mention the syndication. I mean I like The Mentalist and Castle etc but the amount of time they dedicate to airing multiple episodes of a show in syndication is ridiculous, then on top of it they re-air their own shows like six times in a week. That's time they very well could be using for the new shows they have lined up and some of their original shows like Leverage. I don't see why they could have just placed it on hiatus pending the success or decline of the new shows they're trying out because inevitable half of the new things will probably flop.
Well, this is a shocker to me. The show was doing so well.
There is a stream of colorful language going through my head right now. Leverage is one of my favorite shows. It was the type that made you feel good after every episode. They churn out grueling seasons of mindless crime and legal procedurals, yet a measly five seasons of this wonderful and unique show. Geeeeer! Aaaaaarg!
I have been censored on another comment page because I let my emotions run away because how angry I am about this. Oh well, got a stack of good books. I'm giving up on TV.
While I'm bummed, I am appreciative that they had a proper finale planned just in case, rather than just leaving us dangling.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! so sad I love the leverage team :)
What a great show, it cant be they ran out of ideas... can it?
Let's go steal a network...TNT! (Isn't this what Leverage teach us "Finish the bad guys, to save the good guys"? ;) )
I'm with you. I also feel like hitting someone and hacking TNTs server.
I'm with you, DawsonLeary!
Count me in! (Hope I'm not too late. If I am, I'll just get some other fans and break you out of federal prison!)
THIS SUCKS
kr74= i agree tnt stinks. i am l.e.o. and love this show. This show reminds me to think outside of the box to solve every problem, not just crime but even in my own life. The ones of us that are real fans understand this. This is one of the few shows on t.v. now that doesn't have all the gore, sex, etc. that kids can watch. And gives kids and people heros of every type to aspire too. Mastermind, Grifter, thief, hacker and hitter. Everyone has to be good at something.
I wasn't crazy about leverage but 5 seasons isn't to bad. Only if Raising the bar could have lasted as long.
Steals the show
TNT stinks...I hope USA or another network is smart and
At least they can give it proper send off
So pissed, I love this show. TNT is out of their minds. They have an absolute gem on their hands. Can't believe they are ending this.
WHAT THE FUCK TNT? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? You gonna start SYFY's mission and cancel all the great shows that have substance and humor? This was such a great show, it was really different. You guys must be out of your minds.
So not happy with TNT now
Not cool TNT, not cool.
Say it again sister. Say it again. This was SUPPOSED to be the Age of the Geek. I may have to change the No Stabbing Wednesdays to Mondays. I mean Dammit...Hardison. Ignore me.
It's like we got grifted out of our own show. Worst. (TV) Xmas. Ever.
I know!! Who you gonna call? They dismantled the Leverage team! I was mourning all weekend. It was a sad sight. There was a montage.
You are a genius!!! We should totally do this. Lemme just get all my gear together.
Does montage-you wear glasses?
Also, can we steal the show back. And maybe get Elliot to hit things?
Just great I know the show did not agree with everyone and some episodes were not full of action and I suppose 5 seasons is better than 1 or 2 so what is left another project runway or the voice or gossip girl wont be long and we will be looking forward to seeing adverts rather the shows.
Thumbs down. Not every caper was a ten but I really liked this gang of characters. I am glad though that the writers got to give us the final episode that was planned all along.
This really isn't surprising, the show has felt stagnate and I think viewers just stopped responding. It's a somewhat repetitive and simple show, so the writing needed a little more oomph to get it through the slow times. It's not bad, and finally it's hinting at something more, but it's not hitting as hard as it used to. I'm not thrilled to see it go, but I'm not sad either, especially hearing they are telling the tale they wanted to tell for the finale. 5 seasons ain't a bad run.
Let me clarify what I mean a bit, Nate came to grips with his son's death and started this relationship with Sophie, now the only thing he seems to want is to "build something" (and a drink). Parker we still know little about but she's grown as a person and is in a relationship with Hardison, they both seem to want nothing more now. And we've delved deeply into Eliot until he seems pretty whole, he knows who he is and what he does.
Tis' true, I get that ppl are sad to see it go, cuz it's a decent show. but I personally stopped watching cuz it got waaaay too repetitive...
I know this show only a bit, but I am surprised. The number of fans seems very high. Maybe the ratings are not as good as one could think.
Shows like this and Fringe have larger budgets, so if the network isn't getting the ratings they want, here comes the ax..
It won the People's Choice award. How could it not have the ratings?
Anybody who likes this show should watch the British original named Hustle..
Agreed. I was psyched for Leverage originally because of Hustle. Definitely worth marathoning sometime
Leverage is more action-oriented, more aping the Ocean's 11 (modern) movies in tone than it is Hustle's, and that's why ultimately I didn't get into Hustle much when I finally did give it a shot. Leverage is like a cross between the original Mission Impossible and Hustle I guess you could say. Also, Leverage is lighter fare, which is what I responded to.
Load More Comments