Lex leaves Smallville

Every good superhero needs a good supervillain--it's rule number one for making a good comic book, television show, or movie about do-gooders in tights.

Going by that commandment, Smallville writers are having to go back to the drawing board to make the show's star--a teenage Clark Kent, aka Superman--better by making some someone else badder.

Michael Rosenbaum, who has played arch-nemesis Lex Luthor to Clark since the beginning of CW sci-fi drama Smallville, is officially leaving the show. The move isn't entirely a surprise, as reports surfaced a few months ago that Rosenbaum would not continue on as a regular cast member (along with starlet Kristin Kreuk) but may make guest appearances.

Smallville's executive producers (Darren Swimmer, Todd Slavkin, Kelly Souders, and Brian Peterson), the CW, and Warner Bros. Television released the following joint statement regarding Rosenbaum's departure:

"It has been an honor and pleasure to work with Michael for the past six seasons. He is one of the best actors on television and has never failed to bring a new layer to the character of Lex Luthor in every episode. While Michael won't be a series regular and we won't have the pleasure of working with him on a weekly basis this fall, we like to think that we haven't seen the last of Lex Luthor. Stay tuned."

Classy guy that he is, Rosenbaum also released a statement to Smallville fans:

"Well, it's been seven wonderful years. Your support is what has made Smallville so successful, and I appreciate you all more than you know.

That being said, it is time for me to start the next chapter of my life and career. I hope that I gave you some enjoyment over the years, and that you found my portrayal of Lex Luthor to be satisfying. I am truly grateful, as Smallville fans are the best fans out there. I sincerely hope that you will continue to follow my career through my hair growth period and beyond.

I'm very excited about what the future holds, but certainly, Smallville will always be a part of me. I will definitely miss the greatest crew in the world, and the wonderful cast that has been like a family to me.

Thank you Al and Miles for creating the show. Thank you writers, producers, directors and editors. Thanks Tollin, Robbins and Davola for being there for the pilot. Thank you Peter Roth for employing me for ten years. Lisa Lewis, I miss you already. John Glover, thanks for helping me feel more comfortable touching other actors, while acting. Bizarre, but helpful.

Mostly, I want to thank Greg Beeman for directing the 'Oh Sherry' video, by Steve Perry, back in the '80s.

Thanks crew. Thanks fans. Thanks Smallville."

In order to fill the void left by Rosenbaum's departure, producers have lined up not one, but two new villains for season eight. The big baddie that will show up is none other than Doomsday (pictured), the creature who killed Superman in DC Comics' "The Death of Superman" issue.

As if an unstoppable beast hellbent on crushing Clark isn't enough, producers are introducing a new female villain that will use her feminine charm to break the Man of Steel. Described as "gorgeous" and "intelligent, brilliantly manipulative, and dangerously sinister," producers say she will be familiar to many fans.

Casting is currently under way for both roles.

The eighth--and likely final--season of Smallville is expected to premiere this fall. For more on Smallville, check out TV.com's previous coverage.

Sad to see Rosenbaum go? Any thoughts on who the new female villain is? And who should be cast in both new roles? Comment below!

Nov 02, 2008
I wish they would bring LEX back to the show really its not the same at all
Oct 10, 2008
Most importantly, thank you Mr. Rosenbaum for your fantastic contribution to Smallville,you will be missed. You word judo with Miss Mack and Mr. Glover was the spice that gave Smallville it's signature flavor. Smallville episodes were used as a tool in my household as we commented on it's diverse scenarios and characters with our son. As parents we used all episodes, as we do with many things that we watch and read to teach our son right and wrong, good and bad, nature and nurture, and the many ways that families function and the role he must play in society. This, along with how we handle our own experiences in life will spring forth a good, honest and decent individual onto our world. Thank you all for your hard work. JQH
Sep 19, 2008
Lets hope these new villains can make this season worth watching
Aug 21, 2008
The female chik is Maxima.
Jun 01, 2008
To Bad I Dont Think That Doomsday Or Tess Will Be An Equal
May 21, 2008
This is f'd up. I spent 7 years waiting to see him find out and turn all evil against clark. And all we get is a glimpse and he's gone? Were the writers even gonna have lex find out about clark at all if it weren't for him leaving the show?
May 18, 2008
Honestly.. I've been watching it since the beginning as well and I would love to see how they will pull this off. I am also wondering if I can get that role.. Maybe! a chance to work with Allison Mack would be a dream come true.. She's so beautiful! Good luck with next the next and last season Smallville people!
May 15, 2008
I have been watching Smallville since the very first season and I don't think that Doomsday is a good idea. It isn't realisic at all. He is too much of a cartoon and it won't be imaginable. I'm SOOOOOOOOOO sad that Lex and Chloe are leaving. They are awesome actors and the show won't be the same without them. I'm glad that Lana is coming back for a couple of episodes because everything is changing and I liked everything the way it was. I also love Smallville but this could be the end of me watching my favourite show! :(
May 14, 2008
i always watch the show hoping its going to get better and instead i find myself seeing it getting worse. hopefully next season isnt going to be as bad as i think its going to be..
May 12, 2008
I can't believe my eyes!! "Lex" is leaving??? At the very HEIGHT of his becoming the REAL (completely evil) Lex Luthor? I am absolutely incredulous. Maybe Michael needs something new, but I still question his decision. I can't believe (even as good as his "evil" has already been portrayed) that he thinks he couldn't take it to higher levels. PLEASE, Michael, reconsider! Superman (particularly Smallville's) just isn't the same w/out LL!

This will severely (if not fatally) cripple the show -- kinda like David James Elliott leaving JAG.
May 12, 2008
Rosenbaum is a valuable actor, and is obvious that he would surely try his acting skills in other projects. He was surely one of the most important pillar of smallville.
May 12, 2008
i havent read the comics but from the movie "superman: doomsday" doomsday is like frozen underground, so maybe clark puts him there on the show and then years later the events in the movie happen
May 11, 2008
I'll miss Lex, Smallville won't be the same without him. I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch season 8.
May 10, 2008
From what ive read in peoples comments everyone hates that the show isnt going the way of the comics....but its the show, not the comic. I mean if it was going to be word for word what the comic had you'd know the ending, so whats the fun in that? Sure doomsday is a bit overboard but the writers might've thought "hey, this is it were done after this, lets finish it off with a bang" and so ya get Doomsday or maybe its like a teenage equivalent of doomsday like Bizarro (who from what i know about him speaks in opposites but didnt in the show)and i seem to recall superman comes back to life after getting killed by doomsday.... Actually that would make sense...Say they fight and Clark dies. Jor El can bring him back to life, force him into his training, and then emerge as Superman and defeat doomsday in a follow up movie in a couple of years...
May 09, 2008
hmm where did my post go
May 09, 2008
DOOMSDAY? ok thats plain stoopid unless somehow they do a fastforward in time during the 8th season

regarding the female enemy, my guess is it cannot be any of the endless (since then they would have to include more than 1 of them)
my bet is on MAXIMA since brainiac is still around
and those 2 could couple, also taking into account that lana will hopefully DIE smashed by a grayhound truck or something better then it could be MAXIMA wanting to have a child with clark , him not being interested and finally making it up with Lois, fastfordwarding in time then at the middle of season 8 finally introducing doomsday ... after that make DD kill everyone (including the directors/producers etc) and making the DOOMSDAY series yeah that would be good.
May 09, 2008
Now, I've never read the comic or anything, but in fairness, Doomsday sounds pretty cool, premature or not.

About the show...
The second half of the 7th season has suffered from poor acting, and a pathetic plot. Mainly because of too much focus on characters that should've exited the show in the fifth season, such as Lana.
Chloe was a good character though, but in they need to get rid of her in this season aswell. Maybe have her shot by a government agent, or whatever because she hacked too many mainframes(which is becoming painstakingly annoying anyway, I mean come on, she's hacked into every government server, at least five times, over the span of how many years now?)
Please, kill her off, and make it a good bang.
Same goes for Lana, as soon as lois showed up she should've taken the hint.

As I said, I don't know Doomsday, because I haven't read the comics, but here's a thought.
Why do you think they introduced TWO Villains?
it's not like Doomsday will knock on the door in the first episode of season 8.
Here's how it should go, IMO, that is.
Start off with Clark all sobby and alone, Lana left because she was in a coma caused by brainiac, is either braindead, dead, or she blames Clark. Chloe died(damn department of homeland security, etc)
Which, all in all, leaves Clark with Kara, and Lois, well, with Lois all lonely, stuck with Jimmy, they find each other, kara hangs around, and teaches Clark to fly, and properly use some of his powers, then, the Superchick bursts in, and wreaks havoc, maybe even kill Kara to really spice it up.
Then Clark has to try his best, extend limits of his powers, and becomes somewhat of a veteran, semi prepared for Doomsday. And in the end, they kill each other.

A bit of a morbid ending, but if the Doomsday guy really does kill Superman, the experienced one, not the DIY 10 year old. Clark should die, but to prevent any pondering on what will happen with the world, he takes Doomsday with him.

That would, if properly performed, be a good final season for me.
May 08, 2008
The writers and producers sure never read any comics of Superman growing up. Come on! Doomsday?? DoomsDAY? for crying out loud thats the stupidiest idea ever. To introduce the monster that kills superman this early in the story is lacking creativity and destroying the Superman history. I still cant believe they are gonna do that. Pic up another supervillian, send Clack to space and meet Mongul for all I care but dont put Doomsday.
May 07, 2008
I have been watching Smallville since the beginning...I have lost interest over that past few years because the chars they introduce not only screw up the dynamic of the history of the Superman story, but it just doesn't make sense to me...a lot of things are so predictable as well. But now to introduce Doomsday and Clark is still a young man is the silliest move of all. He hasn't even had enough combat experience to even deal with a Doomsday...he couldn't even pose a threat to Brainiac at this point. I think this show has officially JUMPED THE SHARK!!!
May 07, 2008
ok, Lex leaving kinda sux, but for those who think that this season has been great... what are you thinking, there have been numerous episodes where i would have been better off fast forwarding my tivo to the last 10mins of the episode. And they just killed Lyonel? just like that, with no warning, hes dead at the begining of the show. Ive been a die hard Smallville fan since season 1, and every year has been better then then next to me, last season was pretty good as well, idk if the writers strike has something to do with the bomb they have created for this year, but Clark is barely in the show anymore, and when he is he shows almost no emotion, the stories are more about chloe these days, and shes no1 in supermans life, yea shes a great char, but its about time for her to go more then it is for lex. If were going to end with season 8 lets drop chloe, drop lana, get clark working at the planet, and move towards his "Destiny" already, fly you bastard! you can do it, trust me, we all know it already.... ok, sorry to spout off for so long ive just been dying to say these things to anyone who cared lol, correct me if im wrong about anything, im not big into Superman himself, but a huge SV fan, thx
May 06, 2008
Happy about Doomsday, but sad about Lex leaving. He's my favorite character. But It's okay, they better give him a hell of an exit though. I don't mind Kristin Kreuk leaving, Lana was getting on my nerves
May 05, 2008
Yeah, except for Doomsday kills Superman years later so introducing him now totally undermines his power. From what I can tell from the article Michael Rossenbaum is being relegated to guest star so will still occasionally appear as Lex I'm assuming. The character needs to move on and away to bigger and better things before he becomes a nemesis to Superman anyway. Being possibly the last season I think it works, unlike Doomsday which they'll prob humanise anyway.
May 05, 2008
I'd have to agree with Ohio StateHack, it's too early to bring the character who KILLS superman! It was bad enough dragging Lois in this show. It just seems desperate to take it that far. There are plenty of in between characters that can be used. I don't know what the writers are thinking!
May 05, 2008
ill watch it just for doomsday... then if its no good i'll watch something else and say "at least i gave it a go"
May 05, 2008
Doomsday is way too powerful for Clark at this point. Female villains that could work would be Livewire, Maxima, Insect Queen (and that's a Lana relationship move there), or how about a twisted Lori Lemaris (she should have been introduced before Lois anyway, he dates her between Lana and Lois).

The Female Furies from Apokolips would also have been a better choice for villains than Doomsday. The first time Superman and Doomsday fight they kill each other. Clark is nowhere near as powerful as Superman was at that time. While Darkseid is too powerful for Clark yet, there are definitely plenty of New Gods to choose from that would pose a great threat to Smallville Clark. Or how about a Legion of Super-Heroes thing?
May 05, 2008
pity, he was getting quite good this last season
May 05, 2008
i hope the new villains will look good.. :P lol hope that kristin kreuk doesn't go though..
May 04, 2008
It's sad to see Michael go, but if they are ending the show then they need to bring in more villains and start moving the show in the direction of the comic books so that it makes sense. Lex should not be the only villain that Clark/Superman deals with, one villain can get a bit tiring after seven years. They also need to let Lana go and start Lois on the romance path with Superman not to mention that they need to forget that they know each other from Smallville so that Clark can become Superman. Lex's obsession with Meteor Freaks was getting a bit tired and being able to stop them a bit ridiculous if they have super powers. I'm all for bringing elements of the comics and the movies into the show. After all it is a show that doesn't entirely follow the comics so anything is possible even new villains. Clark needs to start becoming the kluts that he will become to throw Lois Lane off the notion that he is Superman.
May 04, 2008
Doomsday and Maxima for season eight. I think Sarah Michelle Prinze OR Alyssa Jayne Milano should play the female role. It will draw fans of two of the best sci-fi series ever. Hopefully, James Marsters (Brainiac) drops a hint. Justice League should be back next season against these two villains, Lex will probably die or go into phantom zone. Lana decides to leave Smallville because of pain endured during coma. Clark goes on his destiny with the others, if Chloe doesn't return then destiny is possibility!

In my opinion for next season
May 04, 2008
sorry to see him go, especially in the later seasons he has proven to be the ultimate adversairy of clark. he truly was the Lex Luthor and i will be missing his role in the series :(
May 04, 2008
ya i know, am so dissapointed but i am excited to hear that there is going to be a season 8 and i am definately looking forward to it. I am also looking forward to seeing the new villans in season 8 so see you guys on the other side
May 04, 2008
so, Lex leaves Smallville?.........Eh! I'll admit im a little disappointed but its about time he leaves. Im mean he's been on the show for seven years already! And it's about time they have a new main villian, especially if season 8 is Smallville's final season, which unfortunately it probably will be.
May 04, 2008
This is just getting stupid now!!!!!!! EVERYONE REMEMBER SMALLVILLE HAS ALWAYS HAD ITS OWN PLOT/TIME LINE AND IS IN NO WAY RELATED TO THE COMICS!!!! well accept for the names and charcter bios. all u do is writeis......."this is not how it was in the comics and they're gonna mess it up!" it doesn't follow the comics!!!!!! they have always said that!!!!!
the female villian sounds suspiciously like desire from season 2
May 04, 2008
It's too bad that Michael is leaving. I thought that he did a great job as Lex Luthor. Whenever there's a show or movie about comic characters, I always wonder if the casting will compliment what fans envision from the actual comics. I think Michael gave fans a Lex they could be proud of. I just don't understand why he couldn't finish out the series if season 8 is to be its last. Maybe the writers can at least make sure that Lex shows up for the series finale.
May 04, 2008
I mite not watch smallville as much as I do, because of this.
May 04, 2008
What I still don't get is why is he leaving the show before its last season. Couldn't he wait a few months?
May 04, 2008
I dont see how the show could possibly be the same without lex.

plus, the show is losing a hottie!! they better make up for it.
May 04, 2008
Well, it will be not the same without Lex, I wonder if any other villain will fill the shoes as well as Rosenbaum, time will say. The new villain Doomsday...mmm...I have serious doubt about this character, all will depends of special efects of course, see ya!
May 04, 2008
Man... Doomsday's gonna kick Clark's @ss...
May 04, 2008
The latest season of Smallville has been pretty awful so a wise move by Mr. Rosenbaum to bail out the sinking ship.
May 03, 2008
Lex can't leave! Smallville needs Lex!
May 03, 2008
lEX IS A CHARACTER, MICHAEL ROSENBAUM IS AN ACTOR, REPLACE THE ACTOR, KEEP THE CHARACTER!
May 03, 2008
Should've ended the show last season. Now they're fast forwarding everything and I'm not the biggest Superman fan but true fans [b]will[/b] be displeased.
May 03, 2008
A female villain... like with red hair... named Maxima maybe from the comics... played by Stacy Haiduk? The original Lana Lang?
May 03, 2008
This is just getting silly now. I mean really, Doomsday? The guy who kills Superman long after he became Superman? Introducing him now, before Clark becomes Superman is asking for trouble. The show starting losing my interest a while ago. You can't bring in character to the "teenage Clark Kent," who by the way has to be well out of his teen years by now, and expect it to keep the interest of fans who know these villains and allies as those he faces as the Superman. Oh well. Female villain? Ugh. Finally get rid of Lana, introduce Lane too early, and now introducing another floozy? Sheesh. No big bad Lex around? That's just sad. Other commentors were right. Lex and Clark made Smallville what it is, without Lex the Dynamic Duo is shot.
May 03, 2008
How can Smallville be Smallville without Lex. Lex has been great to the show and without Lex the show just could be ruined. I wonder how the new season with the new villains will make the show either better or worse.
May 03, 2008
am I the only one excited about new villains! I mean lex is such a weak bad guy that Clark could kill him in a single blow. now with doomsday they might need the the whole j-league and to me it sounds awesome.
May 03, 2008
Will everyone stop slating the show saying they've ruined it and they should cancel it! The creators have always said this show has its own plot/time line and does not follow the comics (obviuosly u should be able to work that out for urselfs by now). And they have also cancelled this show and this eigth season will be the last and obviously the creators are thinking "whats the best way we could go out with a bang?". If they hadn't done doomsday and just this crap sounding women villain, u all would've been moaning that it was a crap/boring way to end the show. get over it and move on!!
Load More Comments