Looking Back on Once Upon a Time's First Season: Our Biggest Unanswered Questions

I missed Once Upon a Time so badly last night. So many unanswered questions, not just about the finale but about the world itself! (And yes, okay, the finale! The cloud! Magic returning! What does it mean?! How can I sleep in this state?) Do I really have to wait for Season 2 to answer these questions? A couple years ago yes, but now I have you, my brilliant commenters, who so easily predicted so much of what would happen on this series. I feel like if we compare notes on the season we'll end up with a pretty good picture of what's to come, or at least what the hell that purple means for our favorite multiple-personality-having heroes.

Let's cover the stated rules of the world that we learned in the first season, and how they actually shaped the action within the world:

1. Magic comes at a price; the bigger the magic, the higher the cost.

This was a phrase bandied around a lot by Rumpelstiltskin when making his deals. Emma took on a couple debts before she knew what she was dealing with in Mr. Gold, including freeing Ashley-cum-Cinderella from having to give her baby up to Mr. Gold.

The other meaning of "magic has a price" is that there's an element of sacrifice in casting a curse. Regina had to kill her father to launch everyone into Storybrooke. To reinstate her curse now that magic has presumably returned, or for someone to use the magic to curse her, would also require a terrible sacrifice. (Also, since Kathryn was returned in one piece, whose disembodied heart did they find by the Toll Bridge? Don't think that question has EVER crossed Sheriff Swan's mind.)

2. True love can break any curse.

Obviously this fed into Emma kissing Henry and waking him up/breaking the curse. Something that's always bothered me about this concept, though, is that Graham had his memory of the fairy-tale world restored when he kissed Emma. So did he truly love Emma? If so, and if he is dead, can Emma even HAVE another true love?

Or will the fact magic has returned mean that his heart can be cured and he can return to the series? Also Mary Margaret and Prince Charming kissed a TON in Storybrooke...why didn't that break the curse? The relationship of kissing and true love needs to be explored, clearly. Maybe it's more the realization you love someone than the physical contact?

3. There is no magic in this world.

This is "a world without magic" and yet we've seen some pretty magical things being triggered by Emma. She clipped the sheriff badge onto her belt and a sinkhole opened up at the old mine, for example. There's also the fact that the Mad Hatter survived sailing out of a window after Mary Margaret karate-chopped him, presumably because he had the hat Emma had made with him.

4. Emma has a superpower: She knows when people are lying.

Rather than address why Emma has such bizarre moments of magical manifestation, the show had her insist time and time again that she can tell when anyone is lying. Um, that's patently false, plenty of people lied to Emma's face or were otherwise completely deceptive around her and she blindly rolled with it. However, what Emma HAS done is lie to Henry, she told him his father was a one-night stand.

A DEAD one-night stand. Then she admitted later that the dad was very much alive but she did not want Henry to know him, she wanted Henry to think of his dad as a hero. (A horny hero.) This is a kid who stole a credit card and managed to wrangle Emma, a bounty hunter, through a family-finding website. How will it affect Henry and his loyalties to Emma vs. the woman who raised him, Regina, when he finds out that Emma would lie to him about something so critical?

Also, it's a pet theory of mine that Henry's dad is Baelfire, because otherwise why in HELL would we have spent so much time on his backstory and him being angry at his dad for being evil and the way he slipped into this world through a green vortex? So yeah, I'm pretty sure he's a powerful force in this world, has some kind of magical accoutrements, and is Henry's dad.

5. There are multiple worlds that can be reached by swirling vortexes or magical wooden armoires, including ours and the Alice in Wonderland reality.

So when Regina and the Mad Hatter went into the Mad Hat, there were tons and tons of doorways. Hopefully we will get to investigate these alternate realms. There's the Wonderland, there's Fairy Land, and there's Our Land. Where else do these doors lead (Halloween Land immediately comes to mind) and will we deal with any of them, or possibly revisit Wonderland? Will the return of magic mean that the population of Storybrooke can choose to return to the fairy-tale world, and if so, would they all return or would some of them prefer to live internet-filled, modern-medicine-improved lives where they don't have to be dwarfs or mushrooms or cobblers or whatever? Which leads me to this big question:

6. Who is better off without magic?

Next season will feature the Little Mermaid, and that got me thinking, how the hell are they going to do that now? Will we do flashbacks between her old life and her trying to find Eric? Or is next season going to deal with how magic is detrimental to some people—like the Little Mermaid becomes a mermaid again because of the magic cloud and has to figure out a way to become human AGAIN. Because doesn't magic returning kind of suck for some people? Won't Jiminy become a cricket again? Will Ruby once again be a werewolf? Will Robert Carlyle be in full-time body glitter?

The mind boggles. Also, Sydney Glass, who we saw was imprisoned in the cell next to Belle's—will he return to being a full-fledged genie, or return to being a full-time mirror?

I want to hear from you on any or all of these points! How else will I get my fairy-tale fix before Season 2 begins? Oh, and for those of you in similar fairy-tale withdrawal, I cannot suggest the old miniseries The 10th Kingdom highly enough. If you're new to The 10th Kingdom (here's a trailer) you have ten hours of beautiful, brand-new fairy-tale-meets-the-real-world insanity to look forward to, as well as one VERY sexy wolf. Plus OUaT totally did a shout-out to 10th Kingdom with Regina's mother being essentially the Evil Witch from 10th Kingdom: Look at this side-by-side!

So fill me in on your thoughts on this phenomenal first season overall, what's to come, and how you're going to keep things magical this summer below.

Well, I assume this link is no longer active, but if there is still anyone out there: Helluuuu, Lily's OUAT forum! Hope that you are all having a good summer!

I happened to be thinking about the show this afternoon, and wanted to post my 1 'burning question' regarding Season 2. Basically, since 99.9% of the residents of Storybrooke were peasants in their previous lives, could be summarily beheaded or sent to fight in someone elses' war, could die of a paper cut due to no antibiotics, had to live without electricity, TV or cars...well, you get the picture. So, why would any of these folks want to return to FTL? If you're the king, sure. But how 'bout if you're the local leper?

Me? I'd take a cranky mayor in the good ol' USA over an absolute monarch stuck in the Middle Ages any day. And with my memory back, I could even find my own true love again without leaving town. Have my cake, and eat it too. Yummy!

So maybe instead of lynching Regina, the mob will sing 'Hosanna', tell Henry to straighten up, tell Emma that she makes a superlative sheriff, and tell Snow and Charming to leave their crowns in their safety deposit boxes for right now.

Hmmm...but I guess then the 2nd season would only have 1 episode, so the writers probably have other plans. Note to writers: Never mind.
The thing with Graham and true love... I don't think it matters whether or not Graham actually loved Emma (I doubt it). Emma IS true love. She's the product of the most epic love in FTW. She IS magic. I think anyone she kissed would be affected. However, I also think she does truly have to at least have feelings for the person. She did love Henry, so it worked. She did have feelings for Graham so that worked too. I have a feeling that if she kissed Leroy nothing would really happen.
In the Apple Red as Blood episode, during Regina's dream sequence, Emma is using Charming's sword to kill her. When Rump opens the case to reveal Charming's sword during the finale, Regina's eyes get big and she seems unsettled. The sword kills Maleficent when bullets cause her no harm at all. Do we know what happened to the sword once Emma slayed Maleficent? She didn't appear to bring it back up with her. It clearly holds some power, and that power possibly threatens Regina. I think leaving it down in the dungeon with all the other FTL remnants was a big mistake.
Dracomom:

The beggar was Zoso, the Dark One before Rumple killed him so I guess he knew quite a bit about how the dagger worked.

I understand your point but I don't really do that, myself, trying to explain a story by using bits from other series or books. I'm trying to analyze (or explain) things from the content of what the story has given us. If I do otherwise, I know I will end up with deceptions next season or it may just spoil the show for me because everything is not like I imagine. But, that's me...

I think I have explained what I believe has happened in the first season, tho there are still some loose ends that nobody can really explain and can only speculate on.

We will have to wait until season 2 to find out more about the characters and the stories.
What the "old beggar" knew, and what he chose to say, and what Rumplestiltskin thought he meant, are very different but overlapping things. The two men spoke very little- lots of room for interpretation (and misinterpretation) so most of what Zoso knew may well have died with him. What Rumplestiltskin knows about the dagger (and about being the Dark One) is the result of his using the powers, or of his research after becoming the Dark One. The Dagger didn't come with an instruction manual!

We the viewers only have the few sentences they've spoken in the episodes as aired to call "fact"- you will notice that even the characters themselves don't always know what's what.. Plenty of room for development here.

I like to try to guess where they're going to go next. Sometimes bits from the episodes jumble together to make an interesting picture; sometimes I'm headed down the wrong road. But I try not to get too attached to any notion, since the writers have been deliberately misleading more than once. (Of course, it may turn out that some of the things they hinted at will get worked into next season; that would settle a lot of questions)

I have read so many fairy tales that sometimes a detail sparks an idea. It can be fun to follow the changes in older and more recent versions of the same tale, or similar stories across a wide geographical range. It seems that the writers of OUaT have read much more than just the Disney ones we're familiar with (one of the posters on this site's forums has put together her suggested reading list- check it out if you're so inclined.) By starting with the older versions of a tale, you get a much darker, earthier- dare I say grittier- view of stories we think we already know, and are maybe a little blase about.

When I bring in analogies from outside OUaT series logic, it's because I see a parallel- maybe nobody else agrees. Sometimes I get disenchanted with a particular notion, or something in an episode directly contradicts a theory- then I post that too. And once in a while it's a shameless plug for a favorite writer whose books I think other posters may enjoy reading.

However, these are nearly always separate from the dissections of internal logic. Mustering in-show quotes or references to support a point is generally more interesting to other posters than my daydreams.
More +
OuAt:

"Well just like he got Charming's hair off of his cloak, he could have gotten Bae's hair from any piece of clothing or pillow. He wouldn't have had to prepare it before Bae fell into the vortex."

You're right. I realized it after I posted the comment. Still, I don't remember anything that would point to that and, sorry but, I hope that they have a more substantial story than that about Rumple's quest to find his son.

As for a Bael/Emma love story we are both hoping for the exact opposite. ;o)

We'll all find out next season(s)...
I think that David's reaction to MM reading the book was a partial recovery of his memory- why else would he go out looking for her?- but not total. I theorize that many of the questions the characters started asking themselves over the course of the season were due to Emma's presence in Storybrooke having some effect on the Curse (whether she realized it or not.)

Rumplestiltskin says his magic isn't compatible with the Blue Fairy's- is it possible that he asked her help at some point prior to Bae's leaving, and she wasn't able to help him? That's the only way I can come up with that she'd have seen the dagger...
There's a character, Faithful Henry in "The Frog Prince" (I think) who binds his heart with 3 iron bands during the time of his master's enchantment- the bands burst during celebration of the enchantment breaking and the prince marrying the princess, etc. Could this be Regina's father? Might explain why Dad was so much more relaxed than Cora...
Do you think it's possible Rump made another true love potion with his and Baelfire's hair? He could have put a drop of each on the curse - a drop of the SW/PC potion to ensure Emma could break it, and a drop of the Rump/Bae potion to ensure they found each other once it was weakened or broken. It struck me that Mr. Gold was planning a trip in the Apple Red as Blood episode, as if he somehow knew where to start looking. And what if the two drops intermingled on the scroll and that's how Emma and Baelfire were drawn together in the real world? I'm grasping at straws here, but I really want Bael to be Henry's dad, and I want them to explain it in a way that isn't some ridiculous coincidence.
Possible? Yes. -- Probable? No.

Imagine a 14 years old being thrown in this world with no parents...

I wouldn't be surprise if Bael is not the sweet little kid that he used to be anymore and the reunion with his father may not be as "magical" as everyone wish.
I still wonder whether Bae might be actively avoiding dear old Dad. Mr Gold told Archie he thought his son had come there to kill him- extreme from a psychiatrist's point of view, and possibly vengeful. But from Bae's point of view, he'd be freeing his dad from a curse by taking it on himself. Bae is probably the only one who knows that's how it works, since Rumplestiltskin wasn't likely to let THAT secret get out.

Could it be that Emma's favor to Mr Gold would be to kill him herself, trapping Emma as the Dark One, but sparing Bae that destiny?
How would Bae have heard about the curse?

I think that Gold though that his son wanted to kill him it is because of the behavior of August who he thought was his son looking for the dagger.

Why would Rumple go through all those manipulations since the beginning of the series just to have someone kill him at the end?

I am sure that there were plenty of people who would have gladly do it in FTL in exchange for the powers of the Dark One...
Would you believe everything told you by a "desperate" old man? I'm not sure I would- salesmen tend to get on my nerves. There's always a catch... My guess has always been that Rumplestiltskin's interest in contracts stemmed from that one, where he got caught. Plus, you're assuming that the old man knew everything there was to know about this dagger in the first place...

Bae would not necessarily know his Dad was in Storybrooke. But it seems likely that he'd be angry about the whole backing out issue- maybe to the point of "I never want to see him again!" Knowing more about Dad's magic than anyone else, Bae may have chosen to conceal his whereabouts. It may also be possible that Bae can sense FTL magics (this assumes he's not too far away)

The arrival of a whole town from FTL would set up some sort of magical "earthquake", wouldn't it? It's hard for me to believe it wouldn't get someone's attention, if they knew about FTL. (Admittedly unproven) This suggests that maybe one reason no one comes to Storybrooke is because maybe something is actively keeping them out.

As you say, we have not been told about intentions making a difference in results. It is a venerable fairytale tradition- "Toads and Diamonds" being the first to come to mind, where one sister (who was nice to the old lady) is rewarded by having diamonds drop from her lips when she speaks; and the other sister, who was insulting, gets toads and spiders.

I think of things, and I post them to get comments, partly for the sake of the discussion itself. I try to cite my reasons for thinking certain things, usually quoting from episodes. But I enjoy tossing around ideas with people who know enough about the show to confirm or refute my theories.
More +
DRACOMOM:

I mean how would he know that his dad is here?

you wrote:

"I still wonder whether Bae might be actively avoiding dear old Dad."

And it was made clear by the beggar how the dagger works. There was nothing about different effects according to different intentions.

We have to stick to OUaT story...

Sure, if we pick from other stories everything is possible but I don't believe that this is a plot line that the writers of OUaT are following with Rumple and Emma.
If anyone other than Rumplestiltskin knows about the curse/enchantment on the dagger, it would be Bae. Who else would he trust with that info? But, Bae would not know about the Curse Emma just broke.

Both Guy Gavriel Kay and Terry Goodkind wrote about weapons which could kill or heal, depending on the intentions of the wielder. That's what I was thinking, but I didn't explain as well as I should have. Also, several of the Grimm fairy tales have endings where you kill the faithful servant/animal helper, only to have them spring back to life, enchantment broken, as prince/princess. So it's not unprecedented.
Oh no doubt he's going to be pissed. I don't think their reunion is going to be easy or heartwarming, but I do know the whole reason Rump cast this curse was to find Bae. If he had the forethought to drop some potion to break it, it's likely he had the forethought to drop some potion to fulfill its whole purpose. This may be a far-fetched idea, but my point is that I hope they put some thought into the reunion (and into the Emma/Bae story that I'm so hoping for) and don't make it some blind coincidence. That would feel like they were cheating.
Me, I would prefer if Bael is not Henry's father, but, if they decide to make him the father then I agree with you that the story should be better than a coincidence.

I don't think that there's another potion involved. He would have had to prepare it BEFORE Baelfire fell into the Vortex and the whole event took him kinda by surprise... if I remember. Just like he had to plan before to make the TL potion.

I believe that it will be more complicated than that for Rumple to find Baelfire. That, the search, will be a large part of season 2 I believe.

I think that this is the favor he wants from Emma: he wants her to use her bounty hunter skills to help find him. But that was before the curse was lifted and the he brought the Magic in. Will he still need her now? Will people be able to leave SB? Lets not forget one important thing that Regina said when Emma asked her what will happened to Henry, after he ate the AT: "Magic, here, is unpredictable..."

I also thought for a long time that Emma's favor to Gold was going to be using her man-hunting skills to find Bae, but now I'm not so sure. I bet it's something a little more sinister - they have made Rump look really sympathetic in the latter part of Season 1. I bet they delve a bit back into his wickedness in Season 2.
Didn't see Bae carrying any luggage on his way to the vortex; so his hairbrush was probably stiil on his dresser at home. Other than that, I'm not speculating...
Does anyone else think Jefferson could be the writer of Henry's book? He's kept his memories and he knew about the book when he talked to Emma about not believing. And he could've easily planted the book in MM's classroom when he goes by the school to spy on Grace. Just not sure why he wouldn't have included Rumple in the book.

Unless Rumple wrote it in his effort to get to MM to get to Henry to get to Emma in order to break the curse? But this idea wouldn't work if he needed to see Emma and hear her name in order to re-capture his memories.

Thoughts?
I first believed that it was August, but he was quite young when he left.

After the episode where August told Gold that "a little fairy" told him about the knife I figured that the Blue Fairy may have.

I never suspected Jefferson... He doesn't look very bright...

Rumple would probably be the best party to do it since he was implicated in most of the events of FTL, and, wisely could have left his own story out of it. Obviously, because of the reason you mentioned, he had to write the book BEFORE the transfer to SB.
I wonder if the writer of the book hoped it would jog Snow and Charming's memories (as it did when MM read part of it while D was still in a coma)- maybe Henry getting hold of it was an unforeseen consequence? We're assuming it was written for Henry's benefit, but we don't really know that.

It is plausible that the Blue Fairy could have written the book as part of the preparations for leaving Storybrooke.

Or Rumplestiltskin might have- he had the most time to prepare for the Curse to be cast. Although he didn't seem to have much in that cell of his, so he might have had to do it ahead of time. Mr Gold was something of a tinkerer, so he might have been able to draw those illustrations.

We haven't seen any artists in Storybrooke, even with the Writer; but if August put this book together, maybe that's why he came to Storybrooke the first time!
Maybe August came to SB when he was young, to be raised and educated by the nuns... There is a certain affectionate tie between the BF and Pinocchio. She gave him life as a puppet and turned him into a real boy later. In some way, she is his only mother since he wasn't born from conception.

Remember that August added the story of Pinocchio to the book. Not being hit by the curse he could have known about the dagger even if he was young when he left FTL.

So if August or the BF is the author they would not have left Pino's story and Rumple's story out. The only one who benefits from this is Rumple.

Why leave Pino's story out? Because he has nothing to do with his plan. Well, in Rumple's view at the time.
It's possible that Rumplestiltskin didn't know about Pinocchio using the wardrobe- he's not always omniscient! We know that the Blue Fairy knew, though.

So Pinocchio's story not being include to start with is a good argument against her as the author- unless she thought Pinocchio had stayed with Emma? so his story wasn't needed, because it was already known?

Oe of the "behind the scenes" photos for "Skin Deep" on the ABC website showed Belle holding the Book- either a deliberate false clue, or something that was cut out. I've read that there were 18 minutes cut from this episode, mostly dealing with Rumplestiltskin and Belle- the scenes we've been imagining that illuminate their relationship? I'd love to see all of it, but the Book one really annoys me!
Dracomom

Remember the apple were roting in the tree in the ep. before the last? Yes Emma's presence was weakening the curse but that was much more later than when David came out of his coma.
DRACOMOM:

[ I deleted my previous comment by mistake... so I'll try to follow here.]

I understood David's reaction to go look for SW has the curse being delayed a little because of his "unconsciousness". It kicked it later in the woods before they found him.

Rumple's Magic is not compatible with the Blue Fairy's Magic because one is Dark Magic and the other is more... beneficial, positive, whatever word would fit. You know what I mean.

Rumple did ask the BF for help AFTER Bael left and she said she can't do anything which made him very, very angry, if you remember. They are not friends...

She could have heard about the dagger from way before Rumple or even Zoso.
"But, it would be nice to learn that Henry has a dad he could be proud of and if he finds out Emma might've truly loved his father and it wasn't just some one night stand."

Yes I agree. But it does not have to be Bael for that. I believe they would have better possibilities by keeping the two stories separated since the SW-PC storyline is pretty much set:

1- Henry's father coming into the picture.

2- Rumple and Bael dealing their stuff.

The whole Bael story is quite a feat by itself. How did he survive (he was 14)? Where did he land? Where did he go? What has he become? Did he lose his memory of FTL (SB was not there when he left)?

And there is still the story about Regina and the people who remember.

And Emma has nothing to remember from FTL: she still will be "lost" and maybe look dumb again sometimes.

And the nuns/fairies

And August: there is another major story there.

And we still need to find out how the Hatter escaped the fall, how he knew about Belle.

And, very important before bringing the father back: how did Gold find the child?

Plus they want to bring the little mermaid...

If they decide to make Bael Henry's father I believe that it will create a new drama (Bael-Emma-Henry) which would look like a soap and dilute all those other great storylines.

We can talk a lot about this (maybe we should move to the forum where there is more threads) but we all will have to wait to see what the creators have in store.
Great questions! We'll see new characters/stories in season 2; earlier in the series, Jennifer Morrison said they wouldn't bring in the story of Henry's father until much later seasons...it is quite possible they haven't introduced his fairy tale yet. The fun part, for me, is how the deeper we get into everyone's lives, the more connected we find out they are.
i have a question that kept popping up in my mind: why is Regina so obsessed with keeping Henry as her adoptive son? doe she really love him ( she seemed really upset when he "died") or she was just keeping him sort of prisoner in her house so he wouldn't break the curse?don't you think there is any other relationship between Regina's dad - who was named henry- and Emma's son?
She said once that to have nobody is the worse curse imaginable.

No relation except the fact that she gave the kid her father's name.

We still have to know how Mr. Gold found and got the child for her since nobody could leave SB.

(If Henry was in SB's orphanage: how did he get there being born outside of SB?)
"Also, it's a pet theory of mine that Henry's dad is Baelfire, because otherwise why in HELL would we have spent so much time on his backstory and him being angry at his dad for being evil and the way he slipped into this world through a green vortex?"

That backstory was shown to illustrate Rumples' motivation to do all the manipulations that he did: HE was the architect of the Curse, the saving of Emma, of having Emma as a safety valve (with a drop of the "true love potion", that HE concocted, on the Curse's scroll), making a deal with SW so he can find the name of the child, then using her name to regain his memory in the new world, plus all the manipulations HE also orchestrated in SB... All of this for the sole purpose to be reunited with his son.

In retrospect, the first season was mostly Rumplestiltskin's journey to reunite with his son. HE was at the center of all events.

I believe that the immense potential that this story line has would be totally wasted if Bealfire would happen to be Henry's dad.
Why would Rumple's story line potential be "totally wasted" if Baelfire turns out to be Henry's dad? If Henry is actually Rumple's grandson, wouldn't that add another level of complexity in the relationships between Rumple and Emma and Rumple and Regina? I think it would be brilliant--much more so than if the father turns out to be a regular/bad dude who ditched Emma before knowing she was pregnant or maybe got her landed in jail.

I can't wait to find out more about Baelfire and see if by chance he did something to get Emma in jail (maybe unintentionally?)
Oh, it would definitely add some complexity to the relationships but would waste the immense potential of the "Rumple looking for his son" story line which has given us quite a good first season with all the other plots connected to that.

If that thing turns into a soap a la "Ringer" it would be so boring (to me, anyway... some may prefer that.)

Just a very personal opinion. :o)
Like you said in your comment below, Bae as Henry's Dad is "wishful thinking" without a lot of basis for that thought...count me in with the wishful thinkers! I'm also a mourner of Graham, but it would be great if Henry's father turned out to be Emma's tru love after all.
Had to jump back in to reply to Swinglabacase - btw, you have lots of great insights and comments! They've dragged out Rumple and his great desire to find his son, so most of season 2 will likely be dedicated to the search. But, it would be nice to learn that Henry has a dad he could be proud of and if he finds out Emma might've truly loved his father and it wasn't just some one night stand.
"but it would be great if Henry's father turned out to be Emma's tru love after all."

Then wouldn't it be better if Bael is not the father? I don't believe there was love in the conception of Henry (well, the Emma talked about it anyway).

Wouldn't it be a much better story if Bael would eventually meet Emma and THEN, maybe, something happens between them?

The end of the series in many years: SW and PC, Rumple and Belle, Emma and Bael all living happily ever after?

Ding, Dong The witch is dead!

Graham is dead but we may still see the actor in some flashbacks.
Interesting: Baelfire is Henry's Dad.

Who is Henry? What is his role in all this?
Whoever Henry's dad is, we know for sure: Emma didn't want him to know about Henry, and he wasn't a good guy. (It's quite possibly his fault that Emma was in jail- drug mule? Accomplice in a robbery? Driving a getaway car? I'd love to know what happened there!) Or he could have been a prison guard.

We can be sure that Emma remembers this guy, from her interrupted conversation with MM. And she never recognized any of the males in Storybrooke with whom viewers wanted to pair her in that way. (I'm sure we'd all have picked up on that!) It might be Bae, since Mr Gold has developed a relationship with Henry- but it could also be that Mr Gold feels some nostalgia for his own son's childhood, and is fond of Henry for that reason. Or the writers may have come up with something even more convoluted! So it might be that Bae and Henry aren't related at all.

Not all loose ends have to be tied up right away.
It never was confirmed or implied in the series that Baelfire was Henry's dad. It is just some viewers' wish for now.

Henry is Emma's son and his role was to bring her to SB and have her break the curse.
My big question is who is going to be Baelfire, Rumple's son?
Also Mary Margaret and Prince Charming kissed a TON in Storybrooke...why didn't that break the curse? The reason why their kissing didn't break the curse is b/c they were trapped within the curse. Only Emma and August were outside the curse, that's why her true love kisses (her magic) worked.
am enjoying the series myself. and thought i would add my comments. this kiss that gave everybody the memories back had to come from emma but who she need to kiss was the question i knew emma's kiss was the key to solving the riddle.when graham got his memory back after kissing emma . it was because he had no heart that the kiss did not work or the fact that graham was still sleeping with the queen. true love is when you dont think about anyone but the person your in love with and sleeping with someone else become almost alien thats my view and i did not see that from graham. i was more convinced that mr golds long lost son is henry's father till pinocio showed up posed to be mr gold's son. and the dept that emma has built with mr gold well this intrigues me as he could use emma to find him in the future. in the last episod we saw the queen fleing as people had started to remember where has she got to run to and dose she have any more tricks up her sleeve. we have seen graham die will there be more deaths. we have seen one fairy in the series which was grumpys true love. so were are the others and more importantly where and who is the blue fairy. but like you cant wait to see the answers unfold i hope they can put some really twist and turns to surprise us all
The nun's mother superior, who reprimanded "Grumpy's fairy" for ordering 12doz of helium or something, is the Blue Fairy. (I had missed that one too)

Yeah, Emma has to do the kissing AND feel the love herself.
Thank you for making me laugh.
Only Emma can brealk the curse. No matter how many times Snow and Chamring kiss, it's not going to affect them. And let's face facts, Emma is a figurehead for the police. Even Ruby did a better job her one time. It's just that Storybrooke doesn't have many crimes.

How many true loves? Well, since they're in a new world, with new identites, new lives, new memories, etc, the oen per custoemr rule might not apply. her true love might be the sheriff in our world, but not in Fairytale World. Then again, true love might break the whoel curse. But proper contatc with Emma can break it individually, sort of. Sheriff didn't fully awake after their kiss. And if Chamring die din Fairytale WOrld, but live din ours, might it not work the same in reverse? Return to fairytale World, and all who die din ours return to life. And what of August? Will he now be a living puppet?
I don't think Charming died after putting Emma in the tree... he was just wounded badly and unconscious which is why he was in a coma in SB.
I agree, and it seems that the curse has healed the stab wound because he didn't have in in SB's hospital.

Strangely enough, he still had the wound on his chin tho...
The difference between "mostly dead" and "all the way dead"?
The world collapsed because the spell had been broken, Snow White's father (a King) will accept prince Charming's stand-in twin brother as the rightful heir to his kingdom, Emma find's her mate's love in Neverland when she meets him again, and this miracle will save's Henry's life.
Just one question: Obviously the Blue Fairy recognized Regina immediately once the curse was broken...but how aware are the townspeople of what went on while they were cursed?
Blue Fairy reacted so quickly to Regina (while the others seemed stunned, esp. Dr. Whale) I wonder if Blue Fairy had her memories all along?
This is going to fill lots of season 2! My bet is that people will remember FTL and Storybrooke both, but not be sure at first how it all fits together. I hope we get some resolution as to why certain characters (yes, you, David) acted so unlike their FTL selves!
on the true loves kiss being magic and not working for everyone I would have to assume that because magic doesnt exist in storybrook or at least for the people who were cursed then the magic of a kiss wouldnt work. But Emma was never cursed and the only kisses that did work were hers because shes special.
Just want to point out how good 12 years old Bailee Madison was as young Snow White.

Amazing actress for her age.

"She won rave reviews and a Critics Choice Movie Award nomination for her powerful work on the feature film, "Brothers" opposite Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman and Jake Gyllenhaal."

--IMDB
Truly amazing. I would have bet money that she was actually related to Ginnifer Goodwin...insane.
Yeah... I, too, found that she looked like her, that she could be her little sister or something.
She was so amazing it was creepy...
I have not read all of the comments below, but I have somthing to say about why Emma was able to bring Henry back. Cause in my opinion Emma was the product of the true love between Snow white and prince Charming, and because of that, she is spesial. Cause it was theyre love that made the curse. Therefor her kiss could bring Henry back, but also give Graham gis memories back.
Does anyone have ideas how August knew about Rumple and the dagger? He left FTL at age 7 and soon after ran away from the orphanage/foster care. How did he know about the dagger (and for that matter, how did he know about Henry's book?) He had the picture of the dagger so he knew exactly what it looked like, but he messed up how the Dark One worked. Could he have met Baelfire while traveling? Unless they had met, how would August know he looked enough like Baelfire to pass for him?
I think August and Bae must have met somewhere along the way. Maybe not in Storybrooke, but somewhere. (My first theory was that August was the Wizard of Oz...)

I never thought August looked enough like Bae to pass for him- just that Mr Gold was convinced he was, after he talked to the Fairy Godmother Superior. (Wishful thinking!) I was really aggravated that they'd hired a blue-eyed actor to play the grown-up version of a brown-eyed kid; fortunately, they hadn't.
Why would "must" they have met?

There is NOTHING to the story that hints to that nor to the fact that Bael would be Henry's father. These are just fantasies in some viewers mind, so far. But. who knows what the writers/producers have in store?
They must have met IF the blue fairy wasn't the one who told August about the dagger. There are a very limited number of persons STILL ALIVE who have ever even seen the dagger, let alone know how or where it works.
OuAt- to reply to your post below: Henry did say in one of the earliest episodes that he hadn't figured out who Mr Gold was yet. To me, that suggested either a plethora of male villains or a lack of same, since even one illustration of Rumplestiltskin might have been enough to give his identity away. (Okay, the glitter facial could have confused Henry too)

I doubt the Dagger appeared in Henry's book because I can't believe Henry wouldn't have picked up on that somehow- maybe I overestimate him in that regard. But Rumplestiltskin went to extremes to keep people from seeing the Dagger in FTL, and the drawing had to come from someone.

The Blue Fairy may have known about the Dagger from talking to Bae, but we didn't see him show it to her (and Rumplestiltskin wasn't going to just leave it lying around!) It's possible she has never seen it.

Mr Gold said he buried the Dagger when Regina started poking around ("The Stranger")- where was it before then? Did Mr Gold recall enough from his FTL existence to hide it, or could Regina have known about it or seen it before Emma arrived?

I haven't seen any drawings we know are by Regina, and that picture was a really good one. Magical drawing or traditional pencil and paper? I would say it was the work of the Book's illustrator; but that doesn't really get us any further, does it?
More +
Wouldn't the dagger have appeared as an illustration in Henry's book? August would have had ample time to read through it while he "doctored" it. Or does Henry say in one of the earlier episodes that he's not sure who Mr. Gold's FTL counterpart is? I can't remember who he said that about. Since Rump's story happened so long before the other characters' stories, I suppose it's possible his tale isn't included. In which case August either found out from Bae, the Blue Fairy, or ... Regina? Mr. Gold seemed quite intent on hiding it, so somebody from SB must know about its origins and power. Regina/Jefferson were the only ones with memories of FTL (with the possible exception of the Blue Fairy), so the choices are narrow on how August found out.

I'm still quite intrigued by August telling Emma when he first arrived that the reason he knew so much about Storybrook was because he'd been there before. When was he there? How did he even know where and what it was? And if he didn't know, who brought him there and explained it to him? Is it possible Baelfire brought him there - that he's known all this time that Rump made it into this world but wants nothing to do with him? SEASON TWO, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!
More +
Mr. Gold asked him, in the woods, after he tried to use the knife to "submit the Dark One":

"Who told you about me and the knife?" And August replied: "A little fairy."

If Baelfire would have told him about the knife, he would have also told him that its power doesn't work here... That's how Gold found out that he was not his son.

Now, the question is: Did the fairy remember everything all along, as Regina and Gold do? It's quite possible, while she stayed quiet about it, since she was as invested in Magic in the FTL as they were.

Bael was a child the last time Rumple saw him: he could have looked like anything as an adult (with a beard).

That made me think who they would cast to play adult Baelfire. I vote for: Henry Ian Cusick (tho he is busy with "Scandal" at the moment). It would also be cool if they would cast Josh Holloway in a role.

August knew about lots of things. He knew about Emma and told Henry that he came to SB to make HER believe. He was not part of the curse.

I think the Blue Fairy will bring August back. We still have so much more to learn about his previous whereabouts. (But, Graham is dead, dead. Sorry girls.)

[They really should add an "Edit" button here]
More +
Thanks, I forgot August mentioned the little fairy. Which makes me wonder if Blue Fairy retained her memories/magic a little bit and contacted August after he was in our world? How could an immature 7 year old Pinocchio retain so much knowledge in detail about fairy tale land? That's one reason I think he might have met Baelfire during his travels.

Dracomom, I think you have a great hunch about Oz---August's license plate was from Kansas and an emerald green tornado-vortex took Bae away. It's gotta mean something!
I'd love to see Oz, but I don't think he went there. He went to "a land without magic", and unfortunately there's magic in Oz.
Maybe he had to make a stop in Kansas first...
Good point about Bae and the dagger- even if he was angry with Dad, he wouldn't give away the secret. I don't know whether Bae would have known that the Dagger didn't work in Storybrooke, since he isn't there (at least, I don't think he is).

If August got his info from the Fairy Godmother Superior (which had slipped my mind- you're right), perhaps retention of memories was part of the "preparations" referred o in "The Return"?

Crystal Gayle to the contrary, eye color doesn't change that drastically! But as I look at the photos of young Pinocchio his eyes look more brown to me...
Well, *Gold said it to August* that his son would know that the dagger doesn't work in a world where there is no magic.
I think I read in and interview that Mr.Gold remembered only when Emma told him her name. Regina remembers because she created the curse. So they have to give us an excuse for the fairies...But maybe a little fairy is the FTL-version of a little bird...
Yes. She may have triggered the nun's memory at some point also.

This is another back story we need to learn about: the Blue Fairy's. She was pretty much involved in every step of the FTL stories. She also knew that the curse was coming.
About your other comment:

"My guess is her emotions will still be in havoc because she'll be adjusting to knowing the parents who abandoned her."

I think the worst adjustment will be to realize that MM is her mother and David is her dad. After all they've been through together: that's gonna feel so weird...

As for the abandonment, I don't believe that it will be a big problem because she herself gave away her child "in order to give him the best chance" as she said. This was all very thought by the writers, I believe, not to waste to much time on that part (guilt or resentment). That is why I still believe that Henry's father is irrelevant to the story.
Emma and MM have joked about the mom issue- but David as dad is going to be tough. And how does Henry work into the equation?

"I'm older than my parents, but they are also grandparents to the kid I barely know, before they hit 30."

"Dad, I'm going to be in cricket therapy for years after seeing the way you treated mom."
Lily! I'm so glad someone loves The 10th Kingdom as much as I do! I get it out at least once a year and watch it over a weekend. And yes, these teenage-can't-keep-their-shirts-on werewolves on tv these days can't hold a candle to Wolf.
I agree with you about Henry's dad. It has to be Baelfire. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it isn't. My question is whether or not Pinocchio will return to his human self.

On Emma's kiss - remember Emma is the saviour, so maybe her kiss isn't necessarily true love's kiss like the others. This would explain why it worked for both Graham and Henry. As for Mary-Margaret and David, that can easily be explained away by the fact that the curse was in effect and they couldn't break it (or something).
I think that true love's kiss worked on both, but the curse didn't break on Graham because he had no heart to love her back with.
Good point!
Pinocchio being made of wood was not a curse. Is human state was a blessing from the fairy. So I guess only the fairy can bring him back as human.

We'll probably learn more about his life between when he left Emma as a kid and when he came to SB.
I agree, blue fairy can restore August to his human state now that she remembers who she is and magic is back.

August meeting Baelfire would make a great backstory episode!
"August meeting Baelfire would make a great backstory episode!"

??? (sorry) Why? They never were connected... (unless I missed something)
It's been bugging me...How did August know about the dagger? He left Fairy Tale world at such a young age and also didn't seem to stay in Storybrooke any length of time before the present time. Any ideas about that? He knew exactly what the dagger looked like, but he was fuzzy and wrong on details of how the whole Dark One thing works.

August traveled a lot and it could be possible that he crossed paths with Baelfire. This might just be wishful thinking on my part!
1. Regina has a tomb full of hearts. But yes, Emma is dumb.

2. Can true love be one way? Otherwise, wouldn't the curse have been broken when Emma kissed the sheriff?

3. That's not true. There is very little magic in this world. Regina said so herself. Just because not everything was explained.

4. I think the writers forgot about her "power" lol

5. Totally! My theory is that at one point, Rumpel and Queen will have to join forces to fight against the Qof<3. Or maybe they can steal another plot from Fables and have a dark force take over fairylands.

6. All the possibilities ;P and potential BS explanations.
"Dark force taking over the Fairy lands"? Isn't that what the Ogres are? 3 wars- well, 2 and a half- say they want to take over pretty badly.

What's been happening in FTL while so many characters were in Storybrooke? Especially the Dark One, who kept the Ogres in line somehow...Not quite sure how Rumplestiltskin negotiated the first peace (mentioned in "The Stranger"), but he did. And he stopped OW3 when Belle agreed to become his housekeeper.

Regina promised the baddies at the time of the first Curse attempt that they would get their happy endings (right before she took the locks of hair) so I'm guessing they are still in FTL, enjoying the mayhem.

Did the ogres get left behind? Or are they part of a crime ring we haven't encountered yet, maybe controlled by the District Attorney?

Why would anyone want to return to fairy tale land? For being a magical place, it isn't a happy-ever-after for almost everybody.
What a cool idea! It could be that Mr Gold's enforcer in "Skin Deep" was also an Ogre, Hmm...

FTL might be okay for some, but once you've gotten used to hot showers it'd be tough to go back to sponge baths
Cool and creative show!!!!!

But just reminds me of how much trash is really out there, and then they cancel some of the more creative shows(AWAKE!!!!!!!)

life goes on!!!!!
I'm still surprise that some people took it so seriously when Emma told Henry that she had a Super Power where she can tell when anyone his lying. I never took that literally. She just wanted that strange kid who claimed to be his son to "tell the truth" because she didn't believe his story. Adults do that sometimes, tell children that they will know if they are lying. Doesn't mean that they really believe that or are bragging about it.
Before Emma came to Storybrooke, she must have had this magical quality to tell when people were lying, thus her success as a bondsperson and her confidence at the beginning of the series. I think the curse started acting on her when she decided to stay, and like Regina said, magic in this world is unpredictable -- sometimes Emma has the power to think smart (like in Mad Hatter's house) and sometimes not (anytime she's around Sidney).

August said she's "special" and she just has to believe in her magical power. Kinda like when Harry Potter had magical abilities prior to Hogwarts, he just didn't know he had it or how to use it.
She was catching people who jumped bail... Anyone could know that they are lying. That is not a special ability. Tho, I agree with you that she probably has some kind of hidden powers (hence my comment, further below, that nobody knows - even Rumple - what the effect of the purple-smoke-magic will have on her) I don't believe that when she said that to Henry that she took herself that seriously to a point where people say things like: "Hey, man, she's supposed to have that supper power and she got fooled by this and that!"
I agree with your comment that even Rumple doesn't know the extent of his purple magic -- we'll probably see it used for both good and evil. I also agree Emma didn't believe she had a "real" superpower, but if they show us more of Emma's backstory maybe we'll see she had a magical knack for rooting out the liars, something she couldn't explain but came in handy.

In the pilot, there's a huge difference in how savvy Emma was before Storybrooke, shortly after arriving and after deciding to stay. I don't think it can be explained away simply by inconsistent writing. The only exception is when she was in Mad Hatter's house. There's got to be a reason for the inconsistency, like in his house could be a bubble of Wonderland not affected by the curse. (Jefferson retains his memories and knows how much time has gone by when everywhere else was a constant present...)
Is it possible that Emma was regressing back to babyhood mentally in her parents' presence? (LOL!)

Lily had suggested some kind of "stupid gas" being piped into the sherriff's station, but it could have been put in Emma's shampoo too. There were times when Emma truly exemplified the British expression "more hair than wit"!
"He wants to find his son and have his powers too (seeing Belle was a bonus: it was not in his plan.)"

Swinglabacase, I think you're right about this...Belle is a bonus but may be an obstacle in Rumple's plan to look for his son. It'll be interesting to see how magic changes Emma and how believing in fairy tales changes her approach to everything. My guess is her emotions will still be in havoc because she'll be adjusting to knowing the parents who abandoned her.
Maybe I wasn't clear (not my native language) ...

I think Rumple knows the extent of the purple cloud, it was in his plan all along. And he also knows that Regina will be able to use it. He doesn't really give a damn. He wants to find his son and have his powers too (seeing Belle was a bonus: it was not in his plan.)

What he doesn't know is what the effect will be on Emma.

I attribute Emma's changes to her emotional state being disturbed by the stories Henry keeps throwing at her, and the fact that the events tends to prove that he may be right tho she cannot conceive the reality of it rationally.

There is a progression in the fall of her wit (if I may say) along the season.

She's emotionally torn between her motherly love for Henry and all that "crazy" stuff that he talks about (where she feels totally helpless) and her usual reality. It would be hard to think clearly for any of us.

I don't believe it is inconsistent writing but consistent writing. I've seen parents much more perturbed by weird things that their child is saying albeit much less insistent and "over the top" than what Henry says.
More +
Nope. The show went out of its way to kinda imply that she does have this power. At the end of episode 1, she went back to Regina and asked her directly whether she loved Henry or not (or something like that). Then Emma made the decision to stay in Storybrooke because she knew Regina was lying.

But then again, this was completely BS as it seems Regina really does love Henry.
That's what I mean: she never insisted on the matter. Viewers just took it more seriously than she did.

She decided to stay because Regina was pushing her too much to leave which made her doubt about the well-being of Henry. It was more motherly instinct than the "super power" of knowing when people lie. She never mentioned that anywhere again in the show since she told Henry.
I Dont Know!! *She cries*
Can I dream that when they will portrait the all Little mermaid story they will use the Andersen one? With the sisters that sell their hair, the other woman and the mermaid that kills herself? It will be very dark and very twisted and so not Disney!
The Andersen version seriously effed me up as a kid. My parents bought some dubbed Japanese anime VHS tape that used the original tale - I walked around with a devastated zombie stare for several days. I hope they use the Disney version, partly because of this, and partly because I reeeeally want to see Ursula!
There was an Ursula in the Andersen one too...and the Andersen version totally scared me too but now that I have grown up I can see how beautiful it is..I really like the Disney one but when I was a child D-Ursula scared me too....and I just remembered that Andersen-Eric was saved in a convent where the other woman lived...and we in SB have a convent full of fairies...
Ooooh I don't remember the original Ursula, I thought she was a Disney creation. That's exciting.
I remember an unnamed sea witch (nasty!) in the Andersen tale- what really bothered me was the idea that after all she'd been through, the little mermaid was still going to have to spend 300 years as a spirit of the air to earn herself a soul!

Don't care how gorgeous he is, no guy is worth becoming mute and walking on knives with every step- even if he is a prince!
I wonder what Ursula will be like--or who she will be--in the OUaT version...after all, in "Skin Deep," Regina came to Rumple asking for help with a curse "for a certain mermaid."

Hmmm....
Are you hinting that Ursula is Regina!!! Because that would rock my socks! We already know she can shapeshift (the old hag at the market). Maybe she will turn into an evil she-octopus and try to use Ariel to get revenge on King Triton --- she loves to enrage the royals of other realms (QoH) and it would be an awesome power struggle. But unless they tie it well into the SB plotline, I have a feeling it won't pack the same punch. Hopefully now that memories are restored, we will see more meaningful and exciting flashbacks/flashforwards. I feel like Dr. Whale ties into the mermaid story somehow - the Andersen version mentions whales several times.
I love the way the writers so often combine/amplify both...
I think it was pretty obvious in the finale that Bae is Jefferson. Jefferson said he couldn't go to Rump. Why not? Unless he's afraid Rump would recognize him. So Rump has a grandchild; it's Grace and not the super-annoying Henry.

Storybrooke is above Fairy Tale Land and Regina and Jefferson opened a hole in the ground to get to Wonderland; just like Bae disappeared in a hole in the ground. The Blue Fairy was hoping to be rid of Rumpelstiltskin and what better place to trap him in than Wonderland. It's where I believe Regina trapped her mother, Cora aka the Queen of Hearts.

I don't think it'll matter to Henry that Emma lied. Regina was pouring her heart out to Henry and he didn't give a crap. He's never given a crap about Regina. He couldn't wait to throw on the trash heap for his shiny new mama who gave him up for adoption. As far as this kid is concerned unless you're his blood, you mean nothing to him.
At least Jefferson looks like Bae! I suppose if Bae were trying to find a way back home, he could have learned to make hats...Could this explain how August got a picture of the dagger? from Jefferson?

Alternately, the two might have met up somewhere during the time the Curse was cast and when Emma arrived in Storybrooke- where was Pinocchio anyway? and what was he doing? (Studying magic?) He would have FTL memories, unlike the other characters...
I like your theory of Regina trapping Cora in Wonderland as the Queen of Hearts. Fitting, because she turned Daniel's to dust....
How does THAT work? Jefferson left as a kid, but was already an adult in Fairy Tale Land prior to the epic curse.

Unless Bae built a hat to return to FTL and somehow kept it all secret from Rumple. Which would be quite a feat to do in a world without magic (I imagine there was 0% magic in the real world, and after Storybrooke arrive maybe 0.5% magic).

But how could someone as powerful and well-connected as Rumple not hear about someone "new" arriving from another realm? I doubt even the queen could keep that secret. You'd think that would peak his curiosity as well as wondering if his son found a way home.

But who knows, anything is possible.
Idea- Bae left FTL at 14, and lived in Storybrooke'sworld awhile (aging normally? There's an awfully long stretch between Ogre Wars if the writers aren't fibbing)

He wants to get back home, so he tries to find a way. Someone teaches him how to make Magic Hats, or maybe he comes up with this one in the Sixties...

When Jefferson/Bae gets home, he runs into Regina right away; Regina conceals him from Rumplestiltskin for a price (remember that they used to work together?) If Regina vouches for him as someone from her homeland, most folks wouldn't think twice about it- except maybe to speculate on their relationship. You'd have to 1) know about Bae and 2) care about such an old story to think to mention it to rumplestiltskin.

If this happened after the Belle story, or even slightly before, it's unlikely Rumplestiltskin was going to get too close to any friend of Regina's. He seemed to think she was trying to take away his power or outgun him in that department, I'm not quite sure which...
I'll stay,..
Great questions, I can't wait to find out how the second season shapes up!
Graham and Regina's true love, Daniel, were killed in the exact same way. If they bring one of them back, they would logically have to bring the other back too. And considering that Daniel's death played a huge role in Regina turning into the Evil Queen, I don't see how/why the writers would go there. Unless they want to redeem Regina. But that's not happening in what is only the show's second season.

Regina claimed that true love's kiss would break any curse while talking to Belle, trying to convince her to break Rumple's curse. I don't think it makes sense to cling to her words in a very literal sense. She had her own interests in mind and wanted to make Belle act according to them. As a matter of fact, we have already seen that true love's kiss does NOT break any curse in the fairytale world. Abigail kissed Frederick until her llips started to bleed, but his curse remained intact until Charming fetched her water from the well. Regina desperately kissed Daniel after Cora ripped his heart out with magic, but he remained dead. Peter's kisses obviously didn't break Red's werewolf curse. And the list goes on.
I would like to see Daniel come back from the dead too. Just to see the dynamic there. I wonder what fairy tale could supplement that.

Regarding the true love's kiss issues, they pretty easy to explain. First, Abigail couldn't phsically kiss Frederick beacause of his helm's visor. Second, Daniel wasn't cursed; he was killed. Lastly, Red curse is more like a affliction.
I would like Daniel to return as well. More flashbacks to the past would be fine too, but I would love for him to show up in Storybrooke. The dynamic with Regina would be so interesting. I heard the actor who plays Daniel is now a series regular on Nikita, but both shows are filmed in Canada. Maybe they can schedule something and bring Daniel back at least for a couple of episodes next season.
why is every body talking about Henry's father i dont think so he is even important character if he is then he will be a complete jerk leaving your kid like that oh then Emma did the same.and it made me laugh every time so hard whenever Emma says tht she can tell when any ones lying.
Because they think that he his Bealfire, Rumplestilskin's son...

I don't think so. But... we will have to wait and see.
Well, they made enough comments about his father that it seems to be an important plot point that will come up. Also, I don't think we can assume he left Henry. Chances are he never knew Henry existed.
Just a little bit at the beginning. We haven't heard much about him since.
Emma told MM Henry's father had no idea about him, didn't she?
1. Yes. The Kathyrn heart thing was killing me (umm pun not intended) Anyhoo...whose heart was it then? All that really served was giving me hope that maybe, possibly Graham can return. Because every theory I have is pretty much linked to my hope that Graham returns. Because clearly Emma's sherriffing sucks. They unleashed all of this magic and it was looking quite ominous so I can't help but wonder what is the universal price being paid now that it's all out?! But maybe just Mr.Gold and Regina will have the magic...because it takes away from the normalcy of SB to have crazy shizz going down to a certain extent.

2. The true love thing really does need to be explored. Now as far as graham and emma go...I didn't see that as a true love thing. Maybe there was some dormant part of Graham responding to Emma...the child he sort of saved? Like maybe his memories restored to him not because he loves Emma (which he possibly could have been at least on the path to doing,..I don't know) but because it was some sort of reward or exchange because he's the reason she's even there! And maybe MM and David's kissing didn't work because they were the catalyst for such a curse... Or maybe Emma, Dolly parton hair and skin tights jeans and all is meant to be true love personified...because she's the product of the ultimate true love in fairytale land. So maybe it does go back to just being about Emma. She literally is "true love" and her kiss in whatever form is the curse breaker. Because she didn't love graham and I don't think graham truly loved her. They were in the lust stage at best.

3. So clearly the Mad hatter took some cues from Lydia on Revenge. I think ABC just has an unrealistic expectation of what humans can do. ABC breeds superhumans!LOL! Emma is walking and talking true love and magic...since she's the catalyst for everything hinky in SB. I think they're off in stating that magic doesn't exist in that world...it's an overstatement at best. Because they can't constantly say that Emma is essentially the key to everything and then say that their is NO magic whatsoever.

4. Ha ha....that's so funny. I think intially we were lead to believe she was a bamf who knew when people were lying...she seemed to have lost that ability the moment she wandered into SB. I do think she's a master manipulator though and that will make things interesting when Henry's stuck between two moms who both decieve him for their own reasons or the greater good or whatever. Ohhh love that theory about Rumple's son being Henry's father. Opens up so many possibilities. Because he's clearly not in Stonybrook. It would complicate things so beautifully. The fact that Mr.Gold was willing to believe that August was his son for a brief few minutes...there has to be a bigger purpose to that storyline and I think the cloud of magic will kickstart some of that.

5. vortexes have to serve a larger purpose now. The fact that everyone seems to be in the know...puts a wrinkle in some of the stuff that made the show so interesting. So it has to be about figuring out how to get back to wherever they need to be or something like that. Even with the magic I know they can't possibly just up and decide to travel between realms or something...plus how else are we to be exposed to fairytale characters lives vs. their SB alter egos?

6. I thin it's going to be an epic battle between Mr.Gold and Regina and they'll be the only ones with actual magic. the rest will be stuck in the middle and Emma will be unaware of which side to fall on.
Anyone else wondering why the result of True Love has to be a (dumb) blonde?
I ask myself that every single sunday.
I don't think the identity behind the heart is important. I think it was just some random person's heart.
I bet that random person would think differently.
ROFLMAO!!! You are Amazing!
Genius!
:rimshot:

Though to be honest: easiest answer is "Mr Gold paid some Medical Examiner / Mortician / etc" to get the heart of a dead body. I'm sure SOMEBODY besides Graham has died recently.
Regina has a whole vault full of hearts. She could easily have used one of them.
Exactly...the lab said it was hers so either Regina had serious pull and did some hinky stuff with the results or whatever...or the heart was Kathryn's in some other way or magic really was in Stonybrook all along.
I think the heart is Kathryn's, remember the crypt of hearts. It would be the same as having Grahams heart except used for a different purpose. She probably ended up with Abagail's heart in Fairytale Land in a back story we have not been told yet. Remember that the lab said it was a match for Kathryn.
Any Catholics out there bothered by the fact the curse "punished" the fairies by making them nuns?
I find it funny that they were dressed like strippers in FTL and now they are nuns...but I think is linked by the all you cannot love-you have to serve the grater good...so is consistent...I just wonder....to be nun, you take an oath(don't know the exact world in english). Now that they remember that they are fairies, the oath is void? Or they are stick at being nuns? So confusing..
Nuns take "vows"- usually poverty, chastity, obedience and good works. But different orders have different rules.
How is it a punishment... everyone wasn't "punished" with their jobs over here. Japetto is still a wood worker / clock maker. Graham was still pretty much the Queen's Guard. The Magic Mirror was a reporter.

If anything, people's lives / jobs slightly mirrored their old lives from Fairy Tale Land. It's not like a pervert was turned into a priest (or vice versa) or someone afraid of large spiders was now in pest control.

And a squad of fairies and such with their apparently STRICT rules and wanting to help people in need... fits into being a nun.
Since when is being a nun punishment?
Staff
I thought it was pretty hilarious that MM had such a good job. Benefits, gets to hang out with kids...if Regina really wanted to punish her she would've been Regina's assistant.
I also had a moment where I was like "...or, you could have made Snow White a janitor/waste disposal person/hell, even your maid so she'd have to come to work every day and you could be like 'here's all my trash, bitch.' " I know that it's supposed to make Mary Margaret just feel more alone because she's surrounded by what she can never have, but still.
Disgruntled former teacher says: trust me, it's punishment. :)

But yes, the idea that the most horrible and evil fate possible for these people isn't Darfur or East Timor, but living in a pretty amazing "constant present" on the picturesque east coast of the richest nation in this "world without magic" - it certainly made the need to break the curse seem less urgent. I guess that's why they had to start killing off Pinocchio - poor sap (ha!) was the only real point of exigency in the whole plot.
LOL!
Nope.
I don't think anyone's new profession is a punishment. They just got analogous roles. A bunch of females who live together and don't date became a bunch of females who live together and don't date. The huntsman became the sheriff. The conscience became the therapist. The kind-hearted queen who looked after her citizens became a kind-hearted teacher who looked after he students. They all got fitting new roles. The punishment is in their loss of magic and memory.
Exactly. And writertwin's comment is spot on also.
Good points all...it just struck me as curious because they made it clear that Rumple has a grudge against the fairies for manipulating his son away, and he is a tough landlord...also, if you're a nun you're choosing a celibate life over true love human-style, and these fairies didn't exactly get to choose this lifestyle.
But that's what they were used to in FTL. The only good part of the FTL sequence in "Dreamy" to me was the idea that a worker-ant dwarf and a worker-bee fairy could maybe find each other and smell the roses and watch the fireflies... they were the only 2 to evolve past their assigned FTL roles, and they got slapped down pretty hard for it.
What a nice way to phrase that idea, Dracomom! Let's hope Dreamy and Nova keep evolving in Storybrooke, now they remember who they are. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a fun boat journey in season 2!
i always did want an 11th kingdom....
More questions to ponder . . . does Jefferson work in the hospital insane ward? That nurse was familiar with Jefferson and his tea. Will he have something to do with Sidney being there? Jefferson knew Regina's father was Henry. Could Jefferson be a long-ago neighbor/lover of Regina? Why else would she have such a hold over him to do favors? Did Cora give up a baby in a deal with Rumple? Could it be Jefferson? A lost sibliing to Regina?

We still don't know why Rumple has an obsession with babies or what favor he wants from Emma. Maybe Snow/Charming will get pregnant with Emma's lil sibling? Would Gold want to trick Emma into giving the baby to him? What else could Emma's favor be? Once Rumple finds his son, would he trick Emma into becoming the Dark One in his place?

Will August be a walking puppet-man? What fairy tale is Dr. Whale connected to?

Okay, that's all I'm wondering over the summer!
Jefferson wasn't part of the original Curse, was he? I think Regina said something in that episode about getting him back..Need to go check. But "Mad Hatter" almost begs the question of him being a former inmate.

Cora said "After all the deals I've made" Usually deals are with Rumplestiltskin (not always, but he's the most likely starting point) If Cora did trade off a child, that might explain a lot about HER character- maybe even Dad's.
But they put so much sexual tension between Regina and Jefferson it would be weird. And all the speeches in that Hat Trick episode about "family is the most important thing". Why would she say that about her father and then leave her brother to be beheaded and her niece an orphan?
1) Why do you assume Cora traded Jefferson away? With her ambition, she'd trade away a SON instead of making him king? Not feeling that.

2) Even if Cora did trade away a child, would she let Regina know? Charming's parents never told him until they had no choice.

3) Who was Grace's mother, anyway? (And don't try telling me she's Regina's daughter by Daniel, "cause I haven't had enough drinks to believe that one!)
Interesting idea below, OuAt. Hard to tell so far, since we haven't seen Paige/Grace swimming...But Jefferson would make a good Prince.
What if Grace's mother is Ariel? We know Grace's mother came to a bad end through use of the hat (maybe Regina used it to get to Atlantica). And Regina directly benefitted from Jefferson being heartbroken and destitute because it made him easy to manipulate. And Regina keeps telling him, "You don't have it in you" when he threatens to kill her - killing off his true love would have been good reason to try to kill Regina in the past, even if he couldn't bring himself to do it. Eh?
I wonder if all Emma would have to do to help "revive" August is give him some of that water from the well.

It would be a nice touch, since his character was the one to originally introduce us to the well, when he gave her a cup of its water to drink....
I think the name "Emma" flashes across the blade of the dagger after Zofo"s name disappears, but before it says"Rumplestiltskin"- anyone else see this? So I think he knew Emma would be able to break his curse (being the Dark One). Don't know whether she'd have to kill him with the dagger to do it, tho...
Really, are you kidding?! I've got to go back and watch that scene again. I've been nervous about Emma being made the Dark One ever since the Desperate Souls episode, but nobody seems to think so but me...

When the Dark One got stabbed, did he die or just change back to a normal person? Didn't he change back and then disappear?
He died. The Dark One has to be killed with the dagger for the power to switch to another person. That's why I'm so interested to see how Rump is going to work this. He wants to find Bae and be with Belle, but he doesn't want to be evil to them, and he doesn't want to die. How can he rid himself of being the Dark One without either being killed by the dagger or dying of old age as soon as he returns to his non-evil self through a kiss with Belle?
Rumplestiltskin name was already on the knife when he pulled it out of Zoso's body (ep.8)... I don't know where you saw that.
This is a debate I've had with friends for a while- some see it some don't; just for a split second tho. Subliminal messages? or overactive imaginations? could go either way.
I frame-by-framed it and there was no transition between the two names (animation). The name Rumplestiltskin was ALREADY WRITTEN on the knife when he pulled it out of the body.

We briefly saw Emma's name on the pages of the story book that she burned. Maybe people mix the two.
Emma could make the argument that her favor has been fulfilled after retrieving the potion from the dragon. She ain't skeered of Mr. Gold. I wonder how afraid she will be of him now that he's Rump again.
Yes she did but I think that our favorite manipulator has made her believe that HE did her a favor.

Well, this is one major thing: nobody (Rumple included) as any idea what the effect of the new Magic (magenta/pink/purple smoke) will have on Emma...
A valid argument.

In the "Dresden Files," the main character (Harry) was pretty much forced into a contract with a fairy queen (queen of Winter). He owed her 3 favors.

He said that, technically if she asked him to pass the salt that would count as a favor... but he knew better. The Winter Queen was WAY to smart to slip up like that.

So it depends on the contract: is favor a random favor, or a special favor where the owner calls in his chip.
I don't think that he will turn back into an Imp, nor will Ruby turn into a werewolf, ,or will Jiminy become a cricket; not for now, anyway.

I wonder if the nuns/fairy will change their dress code, tho...
You really liked the jellyfish-with-cleavage outfits, huh?
It's just so... extreme! And the platform shoes!!! lol
You're probably right...Rumple would've changed into his green self when the purple cloud rolled over his feet if it was going to have that affect on everybody. So, if everyone stays the same but has both world memories, I wonder if they will try to find a way to return to fairy tale land or if they will just take sides against Regina and/or Rumple?
I think you're right. I meant more that he's got magic again. Although if he did turn back into an imp, I'd be just fine with that. Nyeeheeheehee!
yeah. I like him in both roles...
" it's a pet theory of mine that Henry's dad is Baelfire"

AH! It's a pet theory of mine that little Henry is somehow the reincarnation of Regina's dad, so that would mean he is the grandson of Rumpel AND Snow/Charming and the father of Regina. I hope they cram that into the storyline! The confusion that would caues would be enough fodder for at least half a season.

I came up with a theory of henry A while back. Well two theories, The first is what if henry is david? What i'm trying to say is that if henry somehow time traveled to the past and became daniel. Now I know this sounds crazy and messed up but since this popped into my head i wanted to put it out there. Second, what if Daniel is Henry's father? Let's say Cora(Regina's mother) only knocked him out and kept him out of sight. If it's true, friction between Emma and Regina would be cosmic.
As for true love's kiss... it's always an iffy thing. In Show's situation it's iffy. In Fairy Tale land, true-love's-kiss worked when SHE had no memories (or feelings) of her love. In the Real World, neither of them remembered.

They liked/loved each other but perhaps it wasn't TRUE love with both of them in the dark about it.

TLK didn't work on Fred the statue either- all the armor? or just not the right answer to that puzzle?
Charming told Abigail that the gold got in the way and blocked True Love's Kiss.
So gold insulates against magic? I'd wondered about that, in relation to the egg- no need for Rumplestiltskin to create such an expensive package just for decoration.

What else did he make with all that straw/gold? Hmmm...
OuAt- anything that touched Midas' hand would be turned to gold anyway. So the gold glove might insulate everything else from his magic touch, or it might not work because things he touched with the glove didn't touch his skin directly.

Between Midas and Rumplestiltskin, they could make gold as common as copper f they weren't careful!
I know King Midas wore a gold glove to keep his magic from affecting the things he touched - maybe gold is the thing that protects things from magic. In which case, the name Mr. Gold takes on an interesting new meaning.
i think true love's kiss only works in Fairy Tale land except for Emma, who breaks the curse when she has a profound effect on someone (it doesn't have to be a kiss..)
That's what I believe too.
It's possible that the heart was simply from a cadaver or something. Didn't Sydney officially (lie) go on the record stating that's where he got it?

I imagine that's where Mr Gold would get it too. No sense in killing someone if you can just pay off a Medical Examiner / Mortician / etc to get a heart from a body.
If Graham could walk around without a heart, so could Kathryn. I hope an episode in Season 2 will address how one re-attaches a magically amputated body part, just to clear this up... It's the only way I can think of that the heart could be Kathryn's AND she'd still be alive. We know Regina was hip-deep in that plot, and that Sydney lied to keep her name out of the spotlight.

Kathryn isn't going to have her happily-ever-after with HER true love Fred/gym teacher until she gets her heart back...
I think it would be a hilarious episode to have all these people whose hearts are in Regina's vault trying to figure out how to put them back in without hurting themselves.
What if a couple of lovers TRULY gave their hearts to each other? Wouldn't that be twisted?

I think someone mentioned this before- what if Regina's heart is in one of those boxes? Enchanters in some of the older tales would remove their own hearts so they'd be hard to kill...
OuAt, I suspect you're right about Regina not being able to love because of the Curse- it makes a lot of sense. If you hold with the theory that there's one true love per person, then Regina will never be able to have another- Daniel's gone. So Henry is it- someone to care for/about.

Whether Regina put her own heart away, or her mother took it to keep Regina from screwing up her marriage to Snow's dad, this would be a major plot point. If Regina did this to herself, then she can undo it at any time she chooses (assuming reversability is easy.) If Cora did it, then maybe the locker in Wonderland is NOT the same one we see in Dad's crypt.

I have thought for a few weeks now that the price of casting the Dark Curse was for Regina to lose her ability to truly love. Everyone seems to rail against the idea that she doesn't really love Henry, but she behaves like someone who remembers what love used to feel like but is incapable of actually feeling it again. She can play the role of a loving mother but can't actually be one because that's the price of magic. A hole that she'll never be able to fill - not even by adopting a child. Similarly, she has twisted true love in her mind to justify evil, believing Daniel would be proud of her vengeance ("We got her"). Part of me really hopes reanimation is possible after heart crushing, because I would love to see the moment when Daniel looks at her in complete disgust and she realizes she could have had him back if she'd been forgiving but now he doesn't want anything to do with her.

I think it's also possible Cora could have removed Regina's heart so that she would stop trying to seek love or be susceptible to it. As Regina told Maleficent, "love is weakness," and that was clearly a trait Cora was trying to eliminate in her daughter.

I thought about when Rump told Regina it would take the heart of the thing she loved most to enact the curse. Clearly what she loved most was herself. She knows how to remove hearts without actually killing the person, so she could have used her own heart for the curse -- unless it was already missing.

Maybe the end of the series will be Regina getting her heart back, feeling for the first time in years, being filled with remorse, and sacrificing herself to give everyone their happy ending -- maybe even somehow eliminating Rump's Dark One problem.
More +
Didn't Sidney say that he got the heart from the morgue? Could be anybody not relevant to the story.
But if time was stopped, how could they have cadavers in SB? I guess someone could have died between the time Emma arrived and the time Kathryn went missing. I kept thinking it was from Regina's locker-o-hearts and that's how they would prove that she was behind Kathryn's disappearance. But I guess nobody is going to find that little gem any time soon.
Bad things happens when you try to leave SB. Maybe someone died...
It's possible that SOMEONE has died since the curse took over: accident, disease, whatever.

Likewise, an outsider could've tried to come in and thus died.

Heck, for all we know it was a Deer-heart / Cow-heart / etc. I doubt I could tell the difference, so I doubt Emma could either.
What if it was the soccer coach's heart (Frederick's SB counterpart). He found her car and maybe found out the truth so he had to be silenced? They so abruptly dropped the Kathryn storyline after she was found - it makes me wonder if she or Frederick will even be involved in the future of the show.
And what about David's unexplained, forgotten wanderings through the woods? Archie helped him remember some of his FTL memories, but he never helped him recover his memories of wandering through the woods looking for something (episode 15).

Maybe Mr. Gold used him to do something regarding the unidentified heart around the time of Kathryn's faked death?
It would be great if Bae were Henry's dad. I hope Bae appears in town in season 2! Am I the only one who thinks that Graham died too soon? Can't wait to see what will happen with the Little Mermaid's story. Looks like Storybrooke isn't as small as I thought.
Regina actually says in one episode that Storybrooke is a lot bigger than Emma realizes- wish I could recall which one...
I think there isn't anyone that thinks that Graham dying was a good thing. I miss him a lot. I really really hope he will come back...
Sadly, magic can break curses but not resurrect people.

But... we are in TV/Movie land where everything is possible.

Don't they call the main place Holy Wood, what Magic Wands are made of?
Okay don't throw tomatoes at me -- but I never was all that attached to Graham. I mean he's definitely easy on the eyes and had some cute one-liners, but I wasn't so invested in him that his death had any real effect on me. I wonder what kind of role he could have in the future of the show. It doesn't seem to be a natural fit.
I didn't care for Graham one way or another until the episode in which he died. He actually became kind of likeable and interesting to me...and then was killed off ten minutes later.
I feel the same way. He was pretty, but to me that was just about all he added to the show. Maybe the could have done something with his Huntsman identity somewhere down the line, but to me even that felt way too woobified and reduced to his prettyness in the fairytale flashbacks. Not gonna lie, I'm not sorry he's a goner.
I love the idea of Baelfire being Henry's dad!! That would result in one "messed" up family! (The Charmings, Regina and Rumpel.)
Lily, I like your thought that characters return to their magic form next season...maybe we'll meet Ariel stuck in her Storybrooke bathtub trying to figure out where her father's trident is (anybody notice it in Gold's shop?) And surely, won't Ruby the werewolf terrorize the East Coast?

I'm in the Baelfire-as-Dad camp and guess that Baelfire is Emma's true love (Sorry, Graham, I soooo wish that job could be yours). After getting her pregnant, maybe he inadvertently got Emma landed in jail but he somehow got sucked into another magical realm so can't contact her?Bae could've met August at some point and told him about the dagger? It would be cool if Emma finds out he was innocent of whatever crime and could be her happily ever after.

Maybe Regina will steal Henry to another land (Oz?) and I hope Grumpy, Nova and Emma go off in that little boat after them (which could lead to Ariel's ocean story?)
RE Bae meeting August and telling him about the knife: But didn't August read the storybook and learn about the knife from there?
Missed the trident- that's great for the Little Mermaid ep being early in Season 2!

Didn't Granny say in the pilot that she was sorry her heart attack had put a crimp in Ruby's plans to sleep her way down the Eastern Seaboard? And during girls' night out Ruby was watching the guys in a predatory fashion. FTL or Storybrooke, she's a maneater!
Emma is the only one can break the curse and not margaret and prince charming.

Actually it's the potion of true love and even though this was created from hair strands of

margaret and prince charming, the potion itself is the magic and not just a kiss. The reason

why Emma kissing or that is expressing her true love to Henry broke the curse is because Emma

was made of magic or that is, Rumplettewttewt put a drop on Emma before she was brought

to our world (this was mentioned by Mr Gold himself on the finale).

Yet Emma broke only the curse of 'forgetting', it's the potion that brought the magic back (? given the

purple smoke) when Mr Gold threw it in the well of whatever.

The episode title should have been "a world with little magic" as what is mentioned on this review but of course,

they won't name it like that. But for mad-hatter, maybe Emma triggered it or was able to

put some magic on it (although she's not a believer yet..)

I think Emma's skill of knowing people when they are lying is just her normal instincts. This is different though

for the case of Ruby being a wolf on wonderland, and for that she is good at finding things.

I wish that they will explore the story of the Queen of Hearts. She's creepy.
Rumpel mentioned that he put a drop of the love potion on the curse when he created it and that is why Emma is the only one who is able to break it.

I agree with you that Emma only broke part of the curse and not the whole curse and that is why they are still in Storybrooke and haven't returned to fairy tale land. I guess with Rumpel bringing magic to this realm he is going to make it much harder for Emma to break the rest of the curse.
Every time I see the picture with Rumple and Belle and "Nyeehehehehe" I start laughing...
Oh I would love it if Bae was Henry's dad. Suggestions for casting Tom Welling or if dreams came true Austin Nichols!!! But seriously I think Tom Welling could play an older Dylan Schmid which is the kid that plays Bae!!!
Maybe it was subtle but I never saw any hint that he was...
Load More Comments