Lost: All's Not Well That Ends in a Well

Sorry to start with a double negative, but I certainly didn't not enjoy last night's episode of Lost, "Everybody Loves Hugo." But there were plenty of moments when I wondered, "What the heck are these writers doing?" After alternating between good and bad episodes for the last month, Lost squeezed a lot of bad into what was otherwise a very interesting episode by using the old Scotsman-in-a-well trick and blowing another character to smithereens with that unstable Black Rock dynamite.

But before we get to those, let's start off with Hurley. The opening scene showing Hurley's philanthropical efforts was touching and one-thousand-percent believable, as we're pretty much completely in love with Hugo "Hurley" Reyes at this point. Because ultimately, Hurley is us: He asks the questions that need to be asked, he lightens up scenes with comedy but also provides some of the most raw emotion, and he's not an underwear model like most of the regulars. In short, we can relate to him.

And like the luckiest among us, there is a special someone out there for Hurley: Libby. In Hurley's side-flash, he was a fast-food mogul with everything in the world but a warm body next to him when he sleeps. And for the second week in a row, it's this idea of true love that played an integral part in Lost's deepest mysteries.

I'm as manly as they come (I even played basketball the other day! Wheeee! Sky hook!), so the thought of the show becoming some mushy, "we were meant for each other" garbage rightfully angers me. But with Hurley and Libby, that's not the case. Now, I've never been a fan of the Hurley-Libby thing. But looking into Hurley's eyes as he pines for Libby and, more importantly, the truth, it's so darned hard to not root for the guy and hope he does end up with Libby even though it seems so contrived. That's the power of six seasons of devotion to Lost and the consistency of Hurley's character.

Lost's characters have been flip-flopping like crazy, especially as of late. Angry mirror-smashing Jack is now ultra-cool Zen Jack. Richard Alpert, once calm and collected, is like a long-tailed cat in a room full o' rocking chairs. Even Desmond has been convinced to rethink his feelings about the island. Yet everything Hurley's done has seemed so inherently Hurley (note to self: pitch That's So Hurley to Disney Channel), an element that was especially important in this week's episode. Everything Hurley did seemed so within Hurley's personality that nothing caught us off guard; we saw a character grow rather than simply react. Thumbs up to Jorge Garcia for bringing Lost's most adorable character to life.

This was also the second week in a row that the side-flash and the timeline we know have been intertwined. I'm not going to theorize on how they relate yet, but seeing them intersect ever so slightly does wonders for my interest in these tangential tales. While at times Lost has sprinted toward the finish and at others tripped over its own feet, these breakthroughs in the side-flashes have made me much more confident saying that Lost is back on track toward a (hopefully) satisfying ending.

Next: The "What the?" Moments>>

There were a few sloppy moments on the island this week, in the form of incredibly important plot moments that packed zero punch. First, Ilana's explosive goodbye barely registered as a blip on the radar. Other than a big explosion, it seemed like an obvious "let's get rid of her" ploy. It's reasonable to assume that Ilana could come back and still play a major part (this is Lost, after all), but unless that happens, we're left with another character who was brought on only for the writers to realize he/she wasn't needed. So ka-blammo, you die. And please, Ilana knew the dynamite was unstable. I take special care with grocery bags carrying fizzy Dr. Pepper bottles; I'd think she'd do the same with frickin' unstable dynamite.

Michael made his return, and apparently it was just to answer the question, "What are the whispers?" They're the dead people who can't leave, Michael explained to Hurley as though the audience was right there listening to them. I still think he should have turned to the camera and added, "So now you all can check that question off your lists." What clumsy, heavy-handed writing!

Those two flubs (actually, Jack talking about his feelings makes three) were joined by a couple big-time shocking "WHAT THE!?" moments—which, depending on your point of view, you probably either loved or hated.

First, Desmond and Smocke's jaunt into the jungle ended with the Smokester heaving Desmond into an old-time well. Yikes! We expected something like that all along, but did anyone expect it in that fashion? "What's the point in being afraid?" Desmond asked. But his next line of dialogue was, "Ahhhhhhhh!" as he became the latest well victim in need of a Lassie rescue.

And then, moments later, we were back off the island, watching Desmond run over wheelchair-bound Locke with his car. Sidenote: I laughed at that, I don't know why. I love John Locke, but there's just something great about watching people on TV shows get hit by cars. Like when Juliet's husband was hit by a bus. Or when Nadia got run over by a car (okay, that was kind of sad). Or when Hurley ran over those Others in the blue bus. Lost loves hitting people with cars, and we love watching them get hit by cars.

But why did Des do that? Either side-flash Desmond is getting into the idea that near-death experiences will jog people's memories about the other reality, or he just really hates substitute teachers. This is why we have handicapped parking spaces, people, so things like this don't happen! But I'm all for the idea of off-island Desmond approaching all the Losties in the alternate reality and giving them near-death experiences. You know, attacking Kate with an axe, throwing Sawyer off a building, kicking Jin in the groin with steel-toed boots, that kind of stuff. I'm guessing Desmond was more than happy to let Hurley eat all that fried chicken so his hardened arteries would lead to a near-death experience.

These OMG moments offer lots to talk about, whether it's positive chatter or negative chatter. But my question is: Why cram so many suprises together in one episode? Shouldn't the writers spread them out a bit more?

User Contribution News

Man, you guys are writing tons in the comments section. That's great, and it's fun to see the conversation continue. Keep it up.

Last week I asked if you thought Lost is about true love now, and if it is, is that a good or bad thing. Most of you think that love is but one of the show's many elements, with most agreeing that the more appropriate four-letter word describes Lost's subject matter is "life." I think you're all on the right track here. Love would be too one-dimensional for a show like Lost.

I keep re-reading saxgod98's comment, which goes a little something like this: "Okay, why can't people realize that the 'alternate' reality is what happens after they get through what's goin' on with the smoke monster. People are freakin' out and claiming one thing after another. Why do you think Desmond was so quick to say 'okay you got it let's go and do it'? It's because he knows once he's done his future is meeting Penny and starting over with her and having a happy life. Also, REMEMBER in the beginning the island was under water, hint hint. So instead of going 'I wonder what happens now' ... the creators are showing you what happens after. And they retardedly tied it in because it went over EVERYONE'S head. Christ almighty."

While I'm not completely sure of what you're saying, I'd love to hear you explain it more. So speak up if you can! The side universe is what happens once the work on the island is over? And if you have more on the island being underwater, please, do share.

The Lost Season 6 Episode Power Rankings

(I'll be keeping tabs on each episode, ranking them in terms of quality each week, right here. Your opinions will differ from mine.)

"Everybody Loves Hugo": I'm not sure where this is going to fit on everyone's lists. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the top half of the season so far, but really, I don't see an overwhelming majority on either side for this one. I had complaints about this episode, but I still think it had enough important moments to push it into the top half. I'm also looking at my list and I really want to swap things around (mostly I want drop "Recon" by a spot or two)—but I won't, as that would be cheating, and I'm a partially honest man. So let's place "Everybody Loves Hugo," even with its clumsiness, ahead of "Recon" but well behind the top three. Sound good? Good. (Interestingly enough, three of the top four episodes on my list are recent... let's hope this keeps up and we're in for a great finish.)

1. "The Substitute" Ep. 4
2. "Ab Aeterno" Ep. 9
3. "Happily Ever After" Ep. 11
4. "Everybody Loves Hugo" Ep. 12
5. "Recon" Ep. 8
6. "LA X (2)" Ep. 2
7. "The Lighthouse" Ep. 5
8. "Sundown" Ep. 6
9. "LA X (1)" Ep. 1
10. "Dr. Linus Ep. 7
11. "The Package" Ep. 10
12. "What Kate Does" Ep. 3

Your Homework:

Give me a simple one-line answer regarding where this episode falls in your own Lost Season 6 Power Rankings. And let's spend more time on Ilana: What the heck was the purpose of having her in the show? And can you think of a neat way for her to return?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

@siulong84: In the original timeline, Hugo buys and expands the chicken restaurants, thanks to the money he won in the lottery. He was an employee before and he was an employee now in this NEW timeline, as seen in one of the photographs in the presentation, a few seconds after Dr. Chang says ..."Born to humble surroundings"... as in NO MONEY...
lol. two thumbs up for the caption at the bottom of that picture.
Lost season 6 SUCKS!!!!!

after being a big fan since season 1 was aired, I have to say that Im just seeing it to finsh the pain... How did the writers did it so bad in the long awaited final season??
@AWBALC: hugo is milionaire because he has opened the chicken restaurants chain (i dont' know if in english you use the term "chain" to indicate a big number of restaurants like as macdonalds)....this is told by the guy who introduces hugo for the award....watch episodes more carefully before talk!
Everybody Loves Hugo made me remember the first time I realized I was in love with LOST.
On Ilana: I love all the useless side-characters that we meet, think are important and than go out in an h*ll of an amusing way. I'm surprised it took this long before the writers came with a fun way to off her.
In series 5 I think it was, Locke saw a previous version of himself. It made me wonder what if John Locke killed another version of himself thereby swapping himself with a version of John Locke in a time when he knew less. He could repeat this by travelling through time and swapping himself thereby planting himself in that time line and manipulating events with hindsight. Meaning that the version of John Locke who has the power to kill any version of himself is the one with the most knowledge. From the guy in the wheel chair to one of the leaders.
If Hugo was never in a mental institution, then he never met the crazy guy who repeated the numbers over and over... So, why is he a millionaire?
i actually liked that ep
i'd give it around a 6th placement (of 12 so far I guess). there was certainly some great moments, but like you mentioned those 3 big flaws made it sloppy.
The Substitute at #1? LOL
i love this episode, and why they gave many surprises in one ep.? may be they have so many more and so little time. i think why Illana died after she fulfilled her destiny, may be she already dead when Jacob touched her, so it is OK for Jacob to let her died after she done her job
Tim, I think the answer to your question "Why cram so many surprises together in one episode" is simple - there are only a few episodes left of this show! Time is running out, and is seems like they could have done better with a few more episodes. Why only 18 for the FINAL season? I think it's affecting the storyline in a significant (negative) way, and they should have gone for a full 22 episodes to tie all this up in a great way, not just a satisfactory way. Also, I don't understand how you and some others find the explosion of Ilana and the hit and run on John Locke to be funny. Those were definitely OMG moments for me, but not in a funny way. The writers/producers brought Ilana on this show with an important purpose - to find and lead the candidates to the Temple. She made a point several times that once she did that, Richard would know what to do next. It's like Ben said, the Island was done with her. Ok, I can understand that, but give the woman a quick flashback at least! Jacob bothered to go off-Island to talk to her, so she was important. I would like to know something more about her connection to Jacob. The writers/producers brought on another new character - Dogen - and we got his backstory, so why not Ilana? Regarding the whispers, it was like they threw us a bone or a piece of candy, hoping to satisfy us with that little bit of information. Well, that's not enough for me. They are the ones who made the whispers be like a main character on this show since season 1, so give us the whole story, not just an introduction. I have been a die-hard fan of Lost, and I still am, but I think I am just ready for the damn finale to get here, so I can quit wondering about all of this!
I liked the episode. I'm finally satisfied that the flash-sidewards are relevant. As to what the relevance is? I've no idea yet, but I'm patient..
I'm just wondering why the hell Ilana thought it would be a good idea to carry the dynamite herself. I mean she knew they have at least one imortal person in their group, I'm not sure if she knew the candidates couldn't be killed, but she still insisted to cary it herself.
In a few brief sentences:

1. I did like this episode. For me, its one of the best so far, along with Ab Aeterno and Sundown, which I LOVED.

2. I believe Desmond runs over Locke because with intent to kill, for he knows Locke was responsible for him being over exposed to magnetic matter @ the Swan, which is what makes himself so unique.

3. Ilana's role on the show has been fulfilled. She tipped off Richard about Locke being Smokey and told Hurley, Sun and Jack they're candidates... She was also responsible for Ben staying behing instead of following Locke. Her work there was done... I don't really care much about it.

Truth be told, I LOVED her explosion scene... Sure, that whole "I-think-I'm-gonna-throw-a-bag-full-of-unstabble-dynamite-on-the-floor-right-beside-me-just-a-few-seconds-after-Hugo-reminded-me-how-unstabble-these-things-are" attitude of hers was kinda messed up, but I think exploding people are funnier than run over people... I still laugh when I watch Dr. Artz explode himself all over Hurley...
I dont have the time to read other comments because of their length so maybe this has been touched on already. But I think they have been hinting all season that the flash sideways is the result of something that happens later in the 6th season. Jack having that cut on his neck was the biggest one, We'll probably see him get that wound sometime soon and realize what is going to happen. Most theories seem to think that the alt timeline is created from MIB, filled with what all the losties wanted from him like Sayid reuniting with Nadia (not the way he thought it would turn out obviously).
Clearly, "Side-Flash" Desmond is aware that "Island" Desmond was thrown down the well by the Man in Black/Locke so he's exacting revenge on him.
Hmm. I don't think it is Desmond's LEGS that are his constant. But rather, death.
I figured that Desmond knocked down Locke so that he'd end up in the hospital where Jack would "fix" him and he'd be able to walk again. Desmond is getting people to find their destiny or soulmates; Locke's soulmates are his legs. Yeah?
And I come back once more, once again to talk about the whispers. :P When I was talking about how the answer to the whispers makes sense in terms of what we've seen before, I was mainly talkin in terms of my memories of the whispers, without going back and checking into it some more. Now that I have checked into it, I still think it makes sense for the most part, but I think there are some complications that we haven't seen yet. For example, in the episode where Ben sees the ghost of his mother, it does sound like one ghost is telling her to go talk to him, and say what she told him. And in another part, one of the ghosts seems to be telling Ben that he's his (the ghost's) prisoner, shortly followed by a part that doesn't quite make sense. There seems to be a conversation within the whispers, between Ben's mom and Ben himself, where he says that he's scared, and she tries to comfort him. On top of that, it doesn't seem like it is only people who died on the island. What about the guy Sawyer killed, thinking it was the real "Sawyer," who was one of the whispers back when he was hunting the boar. Also, I think it was in season 4, around the time when Hurley found the cabin, there was a conversation between the whispers, and based on what they were saying, I would have to guess that it was a converastion between Christian and Sarah. One of the ghosts actually refers to the other as Sarah. We don't know about what happened with her after she talked with Jack after he hit Christian, so there is a chance that she could have died off screen, but if not, then that doesn't quite add up. Though, as I said, many of the conversations to support what they revealed in this episode. What I find interesting, based on what I've read, is just how much they seem to want to influence what's going on in the show. For example, in the pilot, when Jack, Kate, and Charlie were being chased by the monster, it's clear by the things they said that they were trying to seperate the three of them. Also, about the whispers surrounding the Others, in some of these cases, it seemed to me like these were people who were very invested in what the Others were doing, and were having discussions of how to help them, or come up with plans on what to do, very much like the Others would do. However, it also seemed clear that these were outside forces. Not the Others themselves, at least not living Others. Most likely ghosts of the Others, who wanted to still play that kind of role. But many times, it just seemed like they (as in all of the ghosts, not just the Other ghosts) were still playing a big role on the island, keeping an eye on newcomers, manipulating people, or just trying to go along with who they were before, as with the Other ghosts. I still think there's still more to learn about these ghosts, their roles on the island, why they are still there (outside of what they did while they were living), etc., and hopefully pieces that will make sense of the stuff that does seem to be a bit off from the answer we got. Anyway, in response to guniu, I did not realize it was the same actor. I still think that there's something important about the appearance of the kid in this episode as opposed to how he appeared in Recon. I'm not sure what though.
Just like watch2muchofdis and Ralfberg said, I was wondering one thing that ruined my whole episode, because I couldn't stop thinking WTH!? Just in a very beginning we see Dr. Pierre Chang in a sideway flash, which is 2004, looking exactly the same like he was in '77, almost 30 years earlier... I mean... WTH!? So either they are up to something on here, or they missed that TINY detail. I personally doubt that they are on something, so that's why it ruined my episode, cuz I felt like writers disappointed me badly, making such a mistake. There is one more thing that makes me wonder. How side-Desmond know to visit only the survivors, how come he doesn't (and probably won't) visit the other passengers of that flight? Well, I know that both Desmonds have awareness of the other reality, especially side-Desmond (saying to Ben that he has son whose name is Charlie)... but if that is the case and he knows them, then why would he need the passengers list in the first place? That's just one of the many things that keep me bothering. And in the end, one note to Hungry_Homer111. You said that the boy in this episode, and the boy in The Substitute isn't the same boy cuz of the hair color. Well I think that you're wrong here, because both were played by the same actor, Kenton Duty. Why would they cast one person for two different characters? Just doesn't make sense for me, but again, this is Lost... so who knows...
I disagree with Tim on more than half of this review. (Jack's moment with Hurley was one of the the strongest scenes) but at least he had some fun writing it. Loved this episode.

1. Ab Aeterno- an epic period piece that laid out the island mythology better than anything we've seen before. Sorry, nothing has topped this so far....
2. LA X
3. The Substitute
4. Everybody Loves Hugo- Hurley finally becomes a leader; Libby closure.
5. Dr. Linus- I would watch this if it were a show. Alex is hot
6. Sundown
7. The Package 8. Happily Ever After-people are really overrating this one
9. The Lighthouse
10. Recon- Sawyer a cop? This is getting ridiculous
11. What Kate Does...is nothing at all

I think Ilana was just starting to become interesting. I think her blowing up was more of a reminder of how spontaneous the show can be, and that not enough people are blowing up when they use the dynamite. Don't think it was lazy at all. Just awesome.

I agree about Michael and the whispers though. Felt like a tacked-on resolution. But what I liked about this episode as a whole was that Hurley was always hard to take seriously (his emotional scenes are also among the series' worst) but here it feels like they have gone leaps and bounds with the character, and cemented him as being a legitimate candidate like the others. The great leader, Jack himself, even deferred to Hugo, saying he will follow him. It was a great moment for both characters. Besides, the ep was full of jaw-dropping surprises, and conversations layered in subtext (just about everything with Desmond and Fake Locke)
I didn't expect too much of this episode after the amazing "Happily Ever After" but I really liked and I think the latest theory I have think of can have sense. I can't wait for the next episode.
The only thing I agree with you about the episode was that the answers to the whispers was clunky. I don't think that the characters are being incosistant though. Jacks progress this season has been really well done it my opinion and he learning how to get past his faults. How is that sloppy writting.
@ MissedHisPath... that doesn't work at all, nice try though. The alt. timeline is 2004 lol. Smokey is leaving in 2007. So he time travels then gets off the island and everyone is happy? I don't think so, we know the island is trapping smokey there because he is a freaking evil guy/presence. Also, in the Alt. timeline Charlie is alive, Libby is alive, Anna-Lucia is alive, Eko, Boone, Shannon, Michael, etc. etc. etc. etc. lol. Just not going to happen that way trust me. It would be the worst TV writing ever with all the holes lol, just not happening.
(Mystery of hitting Locke) In the flash-forward when Desmond hit Locke. That was not Locke. It was the Black Smoke..How so? He will escape of the island. And about the real Locke, he was killed by Ben Linus when he was out of the island previously.
I think the point of Illana was to trick people into thinking that Michelle Rodriguez was back on the show. They look kind of similar! Once the producers realized that it wasn't taking, it was Artz time. I'm pretty happy with this season so far, although I doubt it will match my fondness for the time traveling insanity of season 5.
People are so fast to jump to conclusions. Yes, they revealed the whispers, big surprise it was dead people. BUT, we know they are stuck on the island, but why? That is a new question. As for people saying well what about the whispers right before the Others show up, perhaps a warning to the survivors that the Others were coming?? They had to reveal what the whispers were now so they can have time to answer WHY they are stuck there. This will be answered when we know EXACTLY what the island is. Not just some metaphor. Like I said before. All of your MEGA answers will come in the episode titled "Across the Sea", as it is a flashback only episode like "Ab Aeterno"...focused on Young Jacob/Young MiB. Check the guest star cast list. Tells you who is in the episode. Not a spoiler at all.
first of all i salute u Tim, u are really the kind of fans i like, the ones that praise the good and point to the bad and dont clap for everything.
now lets talk about Lost, i think we all agree that this will NOT be the best season of Lost, even with five episodes left which alot can happen in, but lets face it, what's done is done, this season had alot of flaws.
characters flopping, silly plot lines and mysteries revealed in a cartoon show style, lets hope we learn about the island with a little better way than we learned about the whispers.
the key moment in this episode, one u didnt mention at all was Jack-Locke meeting, man did i get the goose pumps for that, we one heard Mathew Fox talking about a Jack-Locke fighting scene in the end, i believe none of us thought that Jack will now be the one who wants to stay on the island!

another thing that i hated about Lost so far is how the writers are treating John Locke, what did John do to them i wonder, he's got the most awful death, the most unrespected funeral when he was treated like a piece of crap left on the floor, even in the sideways! and above all, they let the most evil presence of Lost look like him so that some ppl actually hate John Locke now. i really hope this man gets a decent satisfying ending not just cuz he's my favorite character but because John Locke is a good man.

waiting for next week's episode and ur review as well!
Sorry about adding to the other post that was already way too long, but I realized that when I was talking about the whispers, I was mainly fousing on what they revealed, and not how they revealed it. As for my opinion of the "how," I don't think that it was bad, but I definitely think it could have been handled better. I'm not really sure how I'd handle it myself. Maybe holding it off until closer to the end (the finale, or one or two episodes before it), and have a bit more surreal, and much stronger reveal. It would be somewhat similar to what they had here, with the whispers appearing, and somebody (probably still Hurley, given his gift) going to see what it was. I think that the biggest difference would be that I wouldn't have Hurley (or whoever went to find out what it was) knowing what they were before going to find out, but instead just getting the courage to check it out for themselves, only to have the answered revealed when one of the dead people appeared out of nowhere. But in the end, this is a reveal I can live with.
This episode would probably fall in my 5th spot. As for Ilana, she can always come back as a ghost. Or maybe we'll see her in the ATL.
I loved this episode and your opinions in this here blog of yours! You had me laughing all the way to the end! I also thought how lame it was for Michael to reveal the whispers to Hurley as if the audience was right there.
I loved the Des off island storyline trying to get everyone to remember the island I think that is the best part of the show right now. I liked learning about the whispers but it was a little too easy or unsatisfying I guess.
To be honest, I wouldn't give too much thought to the whispering explanation. Personally, I didn't like it, in the sense that (for me, being an atheist) it seems to raise more issues than the ones it solves. But, on second thought, apparently it made sense to Hurley. And that I can understand - given his phenomenological set of previous experiences and beliefs, it's only natural that Hurley accepts the whole trapped-dead-people-whispering idea. Isn't that what matters? Isn't the LOST universe also a journey of the characters themselves, trying to make sense of an intentionally ambiguous environment? Struggling for a purpose or a feeling of sense that acts as a scaffold for decisions or, simply, to act as a drive?...
Changing subject, I too noticed that change of looks between un-locke and Jack - I won't jump into any conclusions/theories based on those few seconds, but can't shake off the feeling that it embodies a critical moment for future events... Finally, althought I hate the idea that Desmond may have died (yet, I still hope that he didn't) in the Island, somehow I think that it doesn't matter much - maybe the conscioussness "raising" (possibly not the best choice of words) that resulted from the so called experience was the sole purpose of Widmore: Alternate-Desmond seems to be doing his job (whatever that may be) and whatever needs to happen in the Island doesn't depend on Desmond anymore... Hopefully, I'm wrong! I would love to see Desmond as the multiverse heroe.
As for the homework, and to be totally honest with you Tim, the ranking of the episodes has been the least thing I cared about on your weekly comments. It's a nice exercise and I hope you keep up with it, but any discussion on what position does this or that episode deserves is meant to take forever with no possible resolution given the idiosyncrasies that lie behind any raking. Even if I would rank them in different order, I can totaly understand your own choice and I'm ok with it. As a suggestion, and given the fast approach of the big finale, maybe the "homeworks" should focus more on the WOW-moments as they come along, even if apparently insignificant.
onsaras. Lost does repeat things, its intentional. The concept of mirroring is one of Lost's recurring themes.
just can't wait till it's over... never gonna rewatch it that is for sure
And the whispers reveal wasn't that bad...its one of those little nuances that seems like heavy handed writing because we are either expecting the islands secrets to be either a big reveal or not revealed at all. Go back and look at when the whispers occurred and google some sites that actually have deciphered what some of the whispers say and it makes a lot of sense. The reveal was more of a nod to those who were really really into the show outside of the hour its on TV than an answer to those who watch the episode, think about it over a day and forget about the show until the next week...
Saxgod is simply stating that the alt reality is serving as an epilogue. That the "island" reality we are seeing is all going to lead up to the island being sunk and the Losties being back on the plane as we saw in the first "alt" reality side-flash back in LA X...its a theory and not a sound one at that because it is simply disproved by Jack's kid...even if the current island events lead to the island being sunk and the Oceanic bunch time traveling back to 2004 on the plane it doesn't explain the things that have changed before then, Jack having a kid, Sawyer being a cop...all of that.
I kind of thought when i saw Desmond hit Locke that it was sort of a 'payback' for Locke pushing Desmond into the well on the island. Since the other reality (side flashes) are getting their memories back, and Desmond is being back and forth they both might have knowledge about the other realities?
The immediate thoughts I had when Desmond hit Locke were that he was trying to kill him to bring things in line with the Island Reality. To me. the Alternate Reality seems to be a sort of cover up, the way those in the know are talking about it, and trying to conceal the truth, there clearly is a cover up of some sort, the feeling I had was that they were trapped in the Alternate Reality, and Desmond is doing something similar to how they got back to the Island before, killing those who need to be killed etc.

I have to agree with the explosion (it just seemed a cop out), as well as the whispers explanation, how is it that when the whispers got louder, the Others appeared in the first few seasons? I find it hard to believe they ever had this in mind for the whispers, I would propose things got a little out of control for them, and this was about all they had to explain the whispers with.

As for Desmond being pushed down the well, it will be interesting how that develops, not exactly what I would call a "What the?" moment, I just hope it's not another anti-climax. The highlight of the show for me was Locke being run down, strange how at first I couldn't care less about the sideshifts, and now they are at least equally as important as the Island Reality.
I dont know about you , but i feel like Lost is getting more like a parody.The lines about the whispers and how we learned about them was so corny in a way that it was offending.Lost used to be about anticipation of something being done and something spectacular happening in way that you dont expect.Llana exploding ? Desmond falling into that pit and the car incident with Locke are those the elements that are going to thrill me ? havent we seen these events again ?Lost is repeating itself in a verry lame way.
I enjoyed this episode because the story moved forward along with excellent character evolution of Hurley. I'd rank it around 3rd or 4th place in the power rankings. The death of Ilana left me fairly indifferent, I neither liked nor disliked the character, I'm just sorry Hurley didn't get to say "Dude, you got some Ilana on your back." Ilana's purpose seems to have been to let everyone know they're candidates and then the island was done with her. It's regrettable that her character didn't have a bit more depth and that her story hadn't been explained with more detail because now she is just a two dimensional character who was used to either add mystery or fill some gaps in their story telling. I agree that there were a few awkward moments, which slightly diminish the enjoyment of the episode, but overall it was very enjoyable. Hungry_Homer111 had a really good idea to add her in a Jacob flashback episode, to explain her ties to Jacob, her role and maybe reveal something new. This is actually the first time this season that I am as excited to see the next episode after watching the ending of a previous one as I was in the earlier seasons. I'm looking forward to the complete explanation of the sideways flashes as well as some other pressing issues.
I would say Desmond runover Locke caulse he thought Locke threw him in the well. And I would personally love if the side flashes don't have a happily ever after ending for everyone, in which case you would have to choose which reality you want a character to end up in. (Unfortunate for Locke if he would also die in the "there-never-was-an-Island" reality). But it would make the show way more dramatic and gives us stuff to think about. In the end you want a happy ending for everyone, so much more "Lost" and interesting if not everyone gets one.
I would be upset if "off-the-Island" Locke would walk after the accident, but it would suit the Sun not able to speak English story line. I love love love this show. Hope something, someday will keep me just as interested.
This episode sure made me think about whats happening in LOST again, after some episodes with answering questions, this one didnt get answers, just more questions.I think that Desmond hit Locke by a car because he wanted him to see his life on island. And when I was watching the end, when Ben talked to Desmond, and Desmond was watching Locke all the time, waitin for smth - I already knew:he was going to hit him by his car. And also, I think that the alternate reality cant be future after getting rid of Smoke monster, because then - why is there Locke? he would be dead. And also, my biggest question about last episode is - why isnt Miles father older than he was in 77th or what was that year-?
its obvious.desmond runs john over for him to see the alternate life and it ends up with john waking up seeing jack on his bed promising him to fix him.now i dont know if john survives the operation or not because of his death in the other life he can die in surgury or he can simply regain his legs
There's just one thing I want to say, Desmond (in my opinion) knows what happens in both timelines after what Widmore did to him & the experiment he's been put through!! He know there's an alternative timeline having something to do with an island (Hence his talk with Hugo!!). He knows that if he gets hurt on the island, it doesn't matter cuz he's got his other life in the other timeline ("What's the point in being afraid" if you know you had another life to live!!). He knows what Smocky did to him on the island (the well thing) although he thought it was Locke and took it out on the poor real Locke in LA by running him over!!
I just wanted to say that the caption (Keep eating that chicken, brutha. You'll be having a near-death experience any second.) made me LOL a lot. Thank you for making my day!
When they say "The Islands done with you" they pretty much mean the writers are done with you..Illana was brought into the show probably to add some mystery...as if there wasn't enough already...but soon later the writers realized...this isn't going anywhere...so they axed her..or in this case exploded her....it was inevitable as she was doing nothing more than hog showspace and stating obvious or already known to viewer dialogue lines.She could probably return now protecting the lost souls(whispers) and helping them get off the island;)
I agree that the whispers explanation wasn't handled very well. But Ilana blowing up was great, it made me laugh. Lost does have a sense of humour. And I loved the Hurley and Jack scenes which you didn't like but didn't explain why.
I really enjoyed it but your analysis of it is pretty much dead on and absolutely hilarious this week. I still think it was great but I definitely felt like they could've handled the whispers answer a bit better, and Ilana's death nearly made my head feel explode too from trying to fathom why they would do it besides just to get rid of her. And like many others, as soon as I saw that well, I knew Desmond would end up down there. When you mentioned Desmond helping the losties with near-death experiences though I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Desmond continuing his rampage. I could just imagine it now, him throwing Sawyer off a building yelling "It's okay brotha, you don't have to thank me for it! Maybe just buy me a bottle of MacCutcheon if you can still speak and use your limbs after this and we'll call it even". As much as I'm sure his reasoning for trying to run Locke down was more complicated than that, that scene really was pretty comical. All in all, I laughed more than I usually do during this episode, and not always at the parts that were intended to be funny, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. Maybe it was due to a mixture of the intended comedy and the sense of both excitement and dread for the end of the season, since it really does feel like the story is winding down now. If I had to rank the episode, I'd probably put it in 4th as well. Ab Aeterno, Happily Ever After, The Substitute, then Everybody Loves Hugo.
Load More Comments