Lost: Didn't See That One Coming

Last night's Lost will go down as one of the most epic episodes in the history of the series. "The Candidate" was full of big moments: Deaths! Bad Guys! Smoke Attack! But it's most titanic (and Titanic-like) moments, the tragic loss of three (maybe four) major characters, felt a tad underserved, particularly for one character who can snap a dude's neck with his legs!

But before we get to that, let's talk about *gasp* the side-flash. Despite all that happened on the island, Deaths! Bad Guys! Smoke Attack!, the side-flash gives us the most to talk about. And it starts almost immediately, with Jack hovering over a recovering John Locke and Locke instantly recognizing Jack. We're led to believe it's from their meeting at the lost luggage depot at LAX (missing: Locke's knives and the body of Jack's dead dad), but there's clearly more to it than that as John's near-death experience allowed him to see the "other side" that we've been watching for five and a half seasons: the island and its events.

And for some reason I'm stuck on the scene where Jack goes to visit Bernard, DDS. Was I imagining a far-too sentient Bernard pushing Jack along a path? Though Bernard said it was weird that he and Jack both happened to be on Oceanic 815 (the one that didn't crash), he sure didn't act like it. I may be overanalyzing that scene a bit too much, but it gave me weird visions of Bernard being a much bigger player in this thing than we first expected. Pipe up in the comments below if you got a similar tingling.

Jack then tracks down Anthony Cooper and the truth about how John was hurt (plane crash, courtesy of John's new pilot license). It's should be interesting to note that John, at least in the alternate timeline, can fly a plane, according to whatever aviation committee gave him a license. That kind of talent could come in handy should real John be able to wrestle control from Smoke Monster Locke. Just sayin'.

I was also a big fan of Jack and John's final scene in the corridor. When was the last time we saw Terry O'Quinn and (more importantly) Matthew Fox just be able to relax and act? It may not have had the fireworks the rest of the episode had, but I couldn't take my eyes off these two thesps, the cornerstones of the series we've been entranced with for six years.

I think it's fair to say that these side-flashes, which several (including myself) dismissed as filler early on in the season, are now nearly as relevant as the events on the island. Phew. It took a while, but thankfully it's there.

NEXT: Bring out your dead! >>

I particularly enjoyed the action on the island in this episode because it was so straight-forward without any fooling around, and that's purely a benefit of last week's setup episode. There wasn't a whole lot to think about or many pull-the-rug-out tricks: it was just one man's plan to try and kill everyone as efficiently as possible. I can get behind that kind of go-getter attitude, so kudos to you Mr. Flocke Smocke Ness Monster dude, it was a wonderful plan that would have worked if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

And so we end up with Sawyer and Jack squaring off in a submarine that's ready to explode, with new-age Jack saying Locke's bomb won't blow up so there's no need to disarm it, and Sawyer understandably thinking Jack is nuts (I would have pulled the wires too, and I bet every one of you would have done the same). That of course leads to the hackneyed ticking time bomb movie trick where the timer actually speeds up. Until Popular Mechanics consults a bomb expert on that, I have to ask: Who the heck makes a bomb that does that!? (UPDATE: It is possible! Here's Popular Mechanics' take on the bomb.) What's the point of speeding up a countdown when you could just blow it up right then and there? The end result is the same, for chrissakes, just blow 'em up. (This isn't a rant against Lost, just the notion, whether true or not, that incorrectly defused bombs speed up their timers. Thanks for listening.)

Where was I? Oh yeah, bomb timer speeds up. So now Sayid is no longer a zombie (for whatever reason) and decides that he shall be the sacrificial lamb, grabs the bomb, and runs about 20 yards away with four bricks of about-to-explode C4, sorry for all the commas, turning him into about 2 million tiny Sayids. (More on this injustice later.) There is an obvious suicide bomber metaphor here, as Sayid is Muslim, but I'm hoping it was just coincidence and we can pretend it never happened.

I'm no naval expert, but a ticking time-bomb in a submarine probably isn't a good idea. First, the explosion would eat up a lot of the oxygen in there, second, someone could get hurt, and three, think of the mess! All that Sayid gunk to clean up? Gross.

Sun eventually gets pinned to something by something (could anyone really tell what was going on with her?), and Jin refuses to leave her side. The two share a touching moment while they inhale water, with a shot of their hands losing grip on each other and slowly drifting apart that both packed a wallop and was undeniably cheesy.

Okay, here's my take on the three deaths. That's a lot to handle in about five minutes, but I fully support it. Everyone knows this is the last season, so why not kill people off? My problem is the way their deaths were presented to us, especially Sayid's. Now I don't wear an "I Heart Sayid" shirt or anything, but that guy was pretty cool. And to send him off like that? Like THAT!? Sure he gets a hero's death, but the drama that led up to it was virtually nonexistent. Remember how Charlie Pace went? That was one of the most difficult, heart-wrenching scenes I've ever seen. His death was in the works for episodes, and the payoff was so worth it. Even Boone's death in the first season was rough. But Sayid only gets a hot-potato exit-stage-left death? That's a crime. At least give him a slo-mo jog where we see the determination on his face and we realize this may be the last we see of him.

Instead, Jin and Sun get the drawn-out scene, one that writers could have given a few minutes of to Sayid. And really, half of it was the others trying to lift things off of Sun. The result was still sad, but had things been more evenly handed out, the emotional weight of the deaths would have been magnified. Why was the decision made to give it all to Sun and Jin?

But even worse than that? ZERO LOVE FOR LAPIDUS!? He's most likely dead and it was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

(One more note: I've always been a big fan of the cast diversity of Lost, but in one sub explosion, the cast went from all the colors of the rainbow to pretty darned white!)

The deaths will be the main talking point of last night's Lost, but the things I will take away from this episode are twofold: 1) We definitely know without a doubt that Smocke Ness Monster is bad evil bad. And even though we were all 99% sure he was evil incarnate, there was still a sliver of concern that maybe he isn't the bad guy, and that we could have been rooting for the wrong horse. Good storytelling needs a villain, and now we definitively have one. 2) Jack is back! This episode belonged to Jack, and this slow transformation of his is paying off in buckets. He's geared up to be the new Jacob ("It's going to be you," says Sayid) and he's once again a hero worth following. I've always liked hero Jack, and it's good to see him back.

All in all, a really, really good and (mostly) satisfying episode.

User Contribution News

With last week off, it gave most of you extra time to hate me. C'est la vie. There seems to be a lot of people out there who seem to think I hate this show. While it's true I like to point out things I didn't like about it, saying I hate it is pretty far from the truth. I think it's one of the top five shows on television, and given the amount of television I watch, that's pretty big.

I could sit here and write these stories and say "This episode was much better than Real Housewives of Orange County!" and a bunch of you would say YEAH! but where would the point be in that? When I rate the episodes of Lost, I'm rating them against other episodes of Lost. So yes, some episode has to be number eight on my list... OF LOST EPISODES THIS SEASON. They can't all be number one. That being said, the number eight episode of Lost is a heck of a lot better than most of everything else on television. Capiche? Sheesh, sometimes I feel like I'm teaching second grade here.

KingofPirates (who usually just says "meh" on our articles) said, "While this episode was good, what this season has been missing is truly Great episodes." I'd agree. Lost is unlike anything I've ever seen on TV, and I'm psyched to be a part of it. But as it achieved greatness so early, it's only reasonable to compare it to its earlier work. Do I think Season Six has been its best season? No. But do I think it sucks? Certainly not. If I were running for office, each review/recap (whatever these things are) would say "This episode was amazing!" and we'd all be friends laughing into the sunset.

Calling something "great" or "amazing" should be reserved for things that are truly great and amazing. I'm not going to throw those words around willy-nilly. Season One's "Walkabout" was amazing. Season Three's "Through the Looking Glass" was amazing. There are several other episodes that I would also qualify as amazing. But I'm going to call it how I see it, and just because an episode of Lost is part of the Lost series (which is fantastic as a whole), it does not automatically qualify it to be amazing.

To those of you agreeing with me and defending me in the battleground we call the comments section, thank you. You don't have to do it, but thank you. And a lot of you explain my point even better than I could. Likewise, to those who don't agree with me, feel free to speak up and let your point known in a civilized manner. I'll be listening.

Okay, I promise that's the last I will say on that subject. Let's move forward next week and discuss the show we love.

The Lost Season 6 Episode Power Rankings

(I'll be keeping tabs on each episode, ranking them in terms of quality each week, right here. Your opinions will differ from mine.)

"The Candidate": Before you jump down my throat and say "ZOMG DA CANDIDATE WAS BEST EVR U SHOOD B FIRED" just know I'm putting this in third place because Sayid got totally screwed. That ain't cool, man. It cracked the top three episodes on my list (which now becomes a top four that could be interchangeable), which places it way ahead of the others. I just feel that the episode could have been done better--particularly the way it handled the deaths. I have a feeling next week's episode could be the best of the season. Hold on tight.

1. "The Substitute" Ep. 4
10. "Sundown" Ep. 6
11. "LA X (1)" Ep. 1
12. "Dr. Linus Ep. 7
13. "The Package" Ep. 10
14. "What Kate Does" Ep. 3

Your Homework:

Did you think Sayid got hosed like I did? Or did you forget about him once he became Zombi-ayid?

Side note: I'll be doing something similar to these Lost articles for AMC's Breaking Bad on Mondays and CW's Supernatural on Fridays (the day after both shows air), so if you like those shows, I'd love it if you joined the conversation in those articles.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I finally agree with EVERYTHING you said.It wasn't fair to kill SAYID(and FRANK?)like that.
I kind of felt the same way you did about Sayid, although one could argue that the writers made it quick to add to the shock factor. Ditto on Lapidus. I knew his days were numbered, but I still hoped that he might pull through in the end. It looks doubtful, but Lapidus might have survived. If he does, that would explain why he was given such short shrift this episode. I didn't find the Sun-Jin death scene cheesy. It was arguably cliche, but also quite moving and difficult for this Lost fan to watch. Other than Desmond and Penny, they were the only couple on the show I was really rooting for.
Tim, where the heck is the supernatural review u promised us in this post. Most of us wanna talk to each other about it . Please write it!!!!
So I've seen a few people comment that Sun and Jin's death makes wondering which Kwon was on the list, a moot point. But i pose this theory... what if the Kwon on the list isn't Sun OR Jin, but rather their baby... the baby created on the island but not born there. Sun was the only mother not to die after getting pregnant on the island if i recall? Surely that might holder a bigger signifigance than we think? So I don't think it's a moot point to think about it. If anything, I'd say this has my mind turning even MORE.

Imagine Locke killing everyone off to leave the island and wondering why it isn't working, just to find out that the final candidate (the Kwon baby) isn't even on the island anymore. He needs to kill the candidate to get off the island, but needs to get off the island to kill the candidate. Classic Catch-22 right there.

Just a theory, but a fun one to debate I think. This show has always been about "theories".

P.S. Watching Hurley completely breaking down like that was completely heart wrenching. He's lost so many people that he truly cared about such as Libby, Sayid and Charlie. I think Hurley may be approaching his breaking point.
well from the way I see it they wanted sayids death to be shocking to the audience. I don't think he was ever a zombie but lockness used the only weakness he had which is his heart.
This episode was completely stupid!Why did the smoke monster have to put them all in a sub to kill them when he could have done it any other time.Why try to make them trust him for so long and then do this?Sayid is normal all of a sudden but still left Desmond rotting in the well.Locke-Smoke monster reads minds because he knows everything people are thinking just like Ben used to do a few seasons ago when they portrayed him as God but then all of a sudden he was worthless.Jin not only speaks english but with a perfect american accent.They totally forgot they have a daughter.Kate got shot in the chest but then after she came out of the water it stopped bleading like a bad cut.The timer showed 1.30 minutes when Sayid ran off I timed it and it was only 30 seconds.They couldn't even do that right.All this time no one died and in a episode they kill off 3 main characters to add drama to a stupid show.I am 100% sure that everyone will be disapointed in the finale and I can't wait.I can't beleive I have wasted so many hours of my life wayching this show.I can't wait til it's over.
For someone quibbling over the distribution of time between Sayid's and the Suns' deaths, I'm a little surprised by your comments about the sped-up timer. Where would be the drama in the bomb just going off? Plus, I took the way the bomb was set to go off as the sign of Smoke Monster Locke's sadistic streak, especially with the way the timer momentarily stopped.
Where the heck is Miles?? He's one of my favorite characters, and the only explanation given to his whereabouts is that "everyone else scattered into the jungle." Miles was a big player in these people's lives, how is NO ONE concerned for his safety? And I was peeved that no one even asked Jack about Lapidus.
I personally believe the Island side and real world side people will merge into one in the finale and somehow negate the island deaths, not exactly sure how they are going to work it, but if you really believe these characters are dead / gone you are sadly mistaken. I thought overall it was a great episode although I thought the actors could have sold a few of the scenes a little better, I just didn't buy the drowning scene or the beach crying scene.
but when it comes to sayid, i'm very disappointed how the writers killed him like some scum of the earth
honestly who cares after very long 6 seasons if sun & jinn are going to live or not... after everything that happened this characters were dried out... could someone explain it to me why would 2 korean people speak english after not seing each other for 3 years (and before that they never spoke english like ever!!!)... but i guess they will live in sideuniverse or whatever...
LOL. Kudos for that Popular Mechanics link. I've been laughing at that for the last 5 minutes!
I really enjoyed this episode, it had great action and heart wrenching deaths. You had some great points, but I find the suicide bomber comment in bad taste. There was no indication the writers were trying to go for that metaphor, they wanted him to go out a hero and that's exactly what he did.
"Side note: I'll be doing something similar to these Lost articles for AMC's Breaking Bad on Mondays and CW's Supernatural on Fridays "

I've been looking for one on Supernatural for a day or so now... lol
"...saving sayid at the start of the season...means nothing now..." dont see how you could say that where his death saved Sawyer, Kate, Hurley and Jack (the one)
oh and after reading some of the comments below...I've come to realize this was a truly ridiculous episode...the whole question over who between sun and jin was a candidate...useless now...saving sayid at the start of the season...means nothing now...sun letting jin die next to her...even though they have a kid?!?...absolutely ridiculous...and is lapidus really dead?!?...like really?!?...either i missed it...or i just can't believe he can be offed like that...the only thing that really worked in this episode was that we found out smocke's intentions...and that's about it!!!
Is it just me or did anyone else also wonder why widmore didn't just tell everyone that was smcoke's plan all along. I mean if he really wanted smocke to not get out off the island, then i'm sure he could have just told everyone about it. Easier to protect them if you get them all on-board, rather than putting everyone is cages. And seriously, Widmore thought that would be the easiest way to protect them?!? Also even if no1 believed him, they'd still at least think twice. It all just seems really silly to me. Oh well...still gotta wait till the end to see how it all turns out.
1) The suicide-bomber metaphor was not a mere coincidence, nor was it meant to be a racial insult. It was an ironic nod to the first season, when Sawyer suspected Sayid as being the one behind the crash of Oceanic Flight 815.

2) Hugo "Hurley" Reyes is Hispanic, not white.
I haven't cried in a while for a show or movie, but the end of this episode with Jack standing at the edge of the ocean crying really got to me as did Sun and Jin. Sayid's scene was definitely a rip. He deserved a better farewell.
i actually cried at de jim and sun death scene :( i loved them 2
Remember to listen very carefully to every single line that comes from "Eve's" mouth this week.
Jack is THE candidate, Sayid was "brought back" by Desmond, Rose/Bernard are not dead, Jin/Sun died the way they wanted to...together, Alt-Universe is alternate (read Faraday's journal)...doesn't mean they cannot be merged, "Across The Sea" will answer (Who Adam/Eve are, What the Island is, Who MiB/Jacob are and how they got there, What the mythology is, MiB's real motives); Zombie Sayid was there to show that people can be turned, yet stay alive while following MiB (Just like Rousseau's crew), and can be brought back from zombification by someone who can transcend time/space (Desmond).
Well this episode was indeed great,but as you said Sayid's death should have been more dramatic :(.I hope he didn't died,but it's a 10% chance of that.
When the side flashes combine with the current timeline in the Island, will Locke use his newly acquired flying airplane techniques and get the rest of the people out of there. It seems convenient. As for the notion of useless zombie Sayed story line. Well, someone had to get Desmond out of there, and Smocke cant pass through Ultra Sound Vibrations?

We Have to go BAAACK!!!
I'm kind of wondering why they brought him back in the first place in LA X only to kill him again later on and that whole Sayid is a zombie storyline has now been shown to be comletely useless since that ended up going nowhere anyway. Also isn't Sawyer one of the candidates, isn't there like this rule that says that they can't kill themselves, am I the only one who thinks Sawyer puling the wires counts as killing themselves? And why didn't Sayid just throw the bomb away? It's not like there would have been much difference between how far they would get. and seriously Lost has really been overusing the Death By Dynamite thing this season. They do know that not THAT many people actually die from dynamite right? But still this was a really great episode and i'm glad we finally got some more clarity about what Flocke's intentions are with the candidates
Sayid has been waiting for his death since LA X. I said goodbye to him then, same with Claire since she became nuts. (But I kinda have the hots for her, so I'd like for her and her accent to stick around as long as possible). Sayid just didn't need that much explaining. And I just have the feeling Lapidus will come up in the finale just in time to fly Hurley out of there (because now the Power Couple is gone, I have no faith for anyone else).
I have absolutely no idea why people are surprised by these things! The show is almost over, people are going to die! Who cares? Bored now! Oh wait, I\\'ve been bored since the middle of season 1 when J.J. Abrams left this crap-fest of a show!"}}
I'll tell you what I think. Lost, to Damon and Carlton has always been about the characters. Its more about character building than mythology. Well after following Jin and Sun for 5-6 years... the 2nd best couple on lost....killing them like that was disappointing. Oh I remember how all the fuss was created during/after Shanon's death.... and the way Charlie left (with a bang, I salute you)... giving at least these two time would have been great. Whats with killing characters under water.... is that a fantasy of the writers. But this, doesn't sadden me, because in the end, I think all the characters will reunite in a timeline that combines the side flashes and the current timeline. As for Sayed, even though I didn't like him.... I await seeing him again in the finale. The candidate, however, is not Jack. I don't think its that obvious, I think it is John Locke. See you under the well, Brotha.
Okay, i know this might be a bit absurd, and takes away the affect of it, but....

what if Jin is not dead? people keep saying that either frank or sayid is not dead so what if Jin lost conciousness? and frank/sayid saved his life(or atleast bought him back to land)? just a thought........
As for Bernard and Rose, after the whole time-travel thing in the first part of Season 5, I guessed that the two skeletons they found in the caves, way back in Season 1, are in fact Rose and Bernard. Think about it. They were out in the woods, they were done with Jack and his crew. That's the last time we saw them, back in 1977. They weren't in the blast, and as we know, the time-travel only effects a certain radios. They then dropped a huge hint to this a few episodes back, when Hurley says, "You think after time-traveling and such, these bodies could possibly be ours?" (Paraphrasing) Just a thought. So, I think they could play a bigger role too.
I had a headache from crying so hard when Sun and Jin died in one another's arms.. :'(
Sayid's not gone.
"What's the point of speeding up a countdown when you could just blow it up right then and there?"

The point was to create more panic amongst our Losties, so that one of them, preferably a non-candidate like Sayid would sacrifice himself to save the others. The bomb would have never gone off, even after Sawyers little stunt, because candidates can't be killed by Flocke and can't commit suicide (Sawyer pulling out the wires). But because Sayid carried the bomb out of the "candidate-kill-range" ....BOOM!

It's pretty ironic, that in the moment, where Sayid got his emotions back and decided to act selflessly, he "killed" three of our (more or less) beloved Losties...

R.I.P.
Sayid's been one of my favorite characters consistantly over the run of the series and part of that is that there's always been a Dexter-type struggle with him: is he a good person doign bad things or a bad person doing good things. All his flashbacks, flash forwards, and the divergent timeline deal with this as well. He seems to feel guilty over the violence and harm he's caused yet every time he thinks that part of his life is over and done with, he can't help but revert. It just comes so natural for him. Furthermore it made his journey this season all the more fascinating regarding his "resurection" and what Dogen said was going to happen to him (spread of evil reaching his heart consuming him), and finally what we saw he was willing to do: murder as well the indifference to murder. But then just when it looked like all hope was lost for Sayid, he manages to turn it around. He doesn't kill Desmond, lies to Smoke about it, and he chooses to get the C4 as far away from Jack as he possibly can... and he dies. As bothered as I was that Sayid died (for a second time this season) with another four hours to go of LOST, I thought his death/and of his journey was very fitting. Of course if he doesn't show up in the finale in some form I'll be annoyed. Out of the four deaths this week, I was more bothered by Sun and Jin.. well, more Jin than Sun. As said it was pretty emotional and a little over the top, but really, why is it Jin couldn't leave Sun? love for his wife aside, he's got a daughter to think about! The whole reason he was willing to put himself in harm's way time and time again over the course of the series was so he could get Sun (and later his unborn child) off the island and to safety. I figured Widmore showing him photoes of his daughter and later asking Sun about her was a hint that if she was going to die, he wouldn't be stupid enough to get killed too. I guess I was wrong. And then there's poor Frank Lapidus. Firstly I love Jeff Fahey, she's been a beacon of light the last three seasons (he and Ken Leung are both awesome) and I really thought he'd serve a purpose other than cannon fodder this season. I Guess I was wrong there, too. It seems wasteful to me, but it's the final season. I'd have to be naive to think anyone was safe this year. I'm just glad Kate's gunshot wasn't fatal. Speaking of Kate, that remind me that I'm also really enjoying Jack this year and I can't wait to see what else the do with him. Also when we foud out he was a Candidate, there was no doubt in my mind he was THE Candidate since he's been such a force on the series it seemed like a natural fit. Although Desmond seems much more like Jacob than anyone else on the series, I wonder what his true purpose on the Island is. Will he bee the new Smoke Monster if this one is destroyed? Will Ben? Hurley or Sawyer? Why is Miles important? And as for Smocke, i don't think the real John can hijack his "body" back from the Smoke Monster. Hopefully we also get some Ben, Miles, and Richard story before The End as well. I miss those guys.
Here me out and let me have your opinion: Every candidate ends up dead (except for Jack). Episode "What they have died for" may reveal every detail about Jacob, Smocke, little blond fellow and the whole "game". Jack becomes the new Jacob. Finally, parallel reality serves the purpose of a happy ending where everybody is alive and having a great life (but still connected to each other)...
Your article made me realize that Lapidus was killed in the episode. Indeed it's quite an unfair death for a good character. The death of Sun is terrible but the death of Jin seems useless. I think it's weird that his wife let him die with her instead of reminding him that he still has a daughter out there: and why insisting on the fact that we don't know which one of them is the candidate if it is to kill them both so quickly at then end? There are a lot of incoherent elements in this episode.
I think that if Jack really believed that the bomb wouldnt explode - he should have done the same thing as Sayid - he should take the bomb and ran away, so that if even it explodes, only he would be dead(ok maybe not only , because now we see that not just Sayid died) just like Sayid. but with that said, this was really great episode, and after hearing that LOST ending will be a very long episode, Im really waiting with anticipation for the finale~!
Lapidus' death felt like Ilana's. They were both brought on to the show and built up in a way that made people kind of think that they're there to do something important or pivotal to the story but then they just died in silly/bizzaro/random ways. It's like the writers forgot why they put them there or changed their minds or maybe they were just being mean like when they killed Jin and Sun!! =c As another poster said, it feels so pointless the way they've spent so much time trying to get to each other only to end like that. And what of their daughter?? Why does the island hate kids? So far, it has orphaned Walt, now Ji Yeon and soon, probably Aaron. I wouldn't be surprised if Desmond's kid ends up minus a Daddy and a Grandpa as well.
Great summary. I thought the same about the Bernard scene, or maybe he was just phoning it in!

Good point on the cast diversoty thing, I noticed that too but it's clearly just a coincidence not an intentional thing on the part of the writers.
Thanks to a friend who posted it on Facebook, Sayid's death was totally spoiled for me. That was so not cool. The surprise factor was the only good thing about Sayid's death and I didn't even have that so it sucked exponentially for me. In the first place, I was holding on to the smallest of small hopes that he would be dezombified at some point and we'd see him walk off into the sunset with the rest of our heroes in the last episode. As others have already stated, he could have just thrown the bomb. I know you were joking when you said that bit about the suicide bombing, Tim, but you might have accidentally stumbled onto something there. Maybe it was too much for Sayid when he saw the bomb and realized that he let himself get manipulated yet again by some evil dude. I think it was an injustice to such a great character but then again, the writers have sort of had it in for Sayid more than any of the other characters. I mean, the one time we saw him almost happy was when he and Shannon hooked up and we all know how that ended. In the alt-flashes, when most everyone else seems to have a better life, Sayid has to live with the fact that the woman he loves is married to his weaselly BROTHER. Sayid's life, alt or otherwise, is enough to fill a couple of FML pages.
I think sayids death was handled realisticly. If a situation like that would happen in "real life", you wouldn't get a "slow motion scene" so that other people accept that you're going to die, it was a snap decision and they are over before you know it. I did think it was weird that sayid suddenly wasn't "zombie-sayid" anymore.
What do you think about Lockes sideway flash when he mentions "Push the button" and later "I wish you had believed me", while talking to Jack.
anyone making the "suicide bomber" connection is just inherently racist. 1. He was running away from everyone. 2. He didn't make the bomb with intentions of killing people. 3. It was more like a scene from Band of Brothers except with an Arabic guy. He jumped the grenade! How could you racist idiots make a suicide bomber connection when he was protecting them all? Pretty ignorant comment, showing your true colours, eh TV.com viewers.
Sayid didn't just come out of his zombie trance. Desmond talked him out of the trance at the well. He has been normal ever since then.
Does anyone really buy the final moments between Jin and Sun? If you and your American girlfriend had just learned how to speak Korean over the last three years and were about to drown, would you speak Korean to each other? Hearing them speak English (with no action, no less) ruined it for me.
Smoke Monster Locke needed all of the candidates in the sub but he didn't try to persuade Jack any further when they arrived at the sub. However, Kate getting shot ensured that Jack would go with her into the sub, so I find it hard to believe that this wasn't part of SMLocke's plan all along. When asked what happened to the others who were with him when they were attacked by Widmor's missile, he said that they scattered into the woods. Perhaps one of his followers shot Kate by his orders. I have a feeling that he is not through using Kate to control Jack (and maybe even Sawyer).
Didn't Sayid get a slow mo? I swear that I remember the camera doing a slow mo shot of him as he's running away from the group with the bomb in his hands. The camera was maybe at foot level, directly in front of Sayid, looking up at him. I think the shot was trying to give him his moment of glory despite there not being much time to do so before the bomb exploded.
what has happened to benjamin linus???
We've already seen Sayid die at the beginning of the season. And then he came back as someone else. By the time the bomb exploded, I'd already lost interest in him. It was a heroic death, a good way to get rid of his character, but Sun and Jin's death afterwards was devastating. So long to get them back together, were they going to kill of Sun? Or set her free in the last moment? Or kill both? Everything was happening so fast, it had me on the edge of the seat, saying out loud "don't kill them off, don' kill them off". And when it was all over, when they got the chance to think about their friends and started crying... wow. I love Lost!!
Well, this comment will be mostly about hunches and tons of questions (a measure of how much I loved this episode): First of all, I have this feeling that we still have to see some stuff on Sayid's last days - His talk with Desmond (near the well) was revealling but there's still something missing; and how did he know Jack would be "the one"? Can't say if and how these poins will be explored, but still, can't shake off the hunch that we will have more Sayid centered scenes. Second: About Bernard, I always wondered what was the role of Bernard and Rose, on the Island's time, after their decision to act as a Sisyphus that doesn't care about the rock. I guess that an aswer to this, and keeping up with this whole idea of joining realities, could provide at least an hint as to what Alt-Bernard knows or seems to know. Third: We had a confirmation of a long lasting discussion regarding Kate's name on the cave - So her name was there, but it was crossed. I can't believe that the writers explicitly touched that issue just because... So, what would be the role of Kate and why was her name crossed? Considering the title of the next episode, maybe most of this points will be answered.
Load More Comments