Lost ending in two years?

The many questions of ABC's Lost may finally get some answers...by 2009, anyway.

The adventures of Kate, Sawyer, Jack, and the rest of the island-bound survivors will end in two more seasons, according to E! Online. Citing the ever-anonymous inside source, the Web site says the network will announce the news in the next few weeks.

Season four is also said to kick off later than the usual fall date and will begin in January so the network can air back-to-back episodes, according to E!. While nothing is set in stone, the sources also believe the show will abandon its Wednesday 10 p.m. slot in favor of something more primetime friendly.

With Lost in its third season and no certain end in sight, fans have complained that the show is posing more questions than answers. Some believe frustrated fans' ambivalence has grown, resulting in declining ratings. Should the rumors be true, it could allow the show's writers to mop up the dangling ends with an eye on a series finale, enticing viewers to rejoin the drama.

Reps for ABC had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.

Jul 02, 2007
aoh craaaap...i love this show..I really dont want it to end so quickly..
Jun 07, 2007
We all love lost we would be so disappointed to see it end so soon. What do veiwers want a boring show that lets u in on what ever is going on with answers within a season or a serie's such as lost that keeps you guessing as to what will happen next.
Jun 06, 2007
I think they will really play with your mind when they start showing flash forwards like they did in the season 3 finale. I also think the show will show what happens when they get offthe island. After all who was in the casket in the home?
May 25, 2007
I love this show but I'm happy it has an end date so it can be properly finished. I heard that abc gave a 2010 end date not 2009. They're supposed to do 48 more episode, 16 per season for 3 seasons.
May 24, 2007
I absolutely LOVE this show. Though it does seem to keep adding and adding with each episode, i think its just creating more of an atmosphere. I am still hooked. :]

However, I would greatly like to see all of the secrets of the Island revealed before the show is cancelled. Personally I don't want it cancelled, but if that is where it is heading, I guess there is not much I can do about it.

Hopefully, LOST will finally answer all of those secrets that have been pilling up for three seasons running.
May 21, 2007
i just found this site:
www.speedinguplost.com
its a petition to end lost before 2010.
i agree with this site, lost will probably be canceled before 2010, due to the loss of viewers. i just wanna see all the secrets of the island before the show ends!
i hope this petition works, cos i would much rather see a proper ending to lost, than see it getting canceled in 2 years.
May 21, 2007
I think this season's episodes get better and better, I'm still hooked and I'm glad we're getting at least two more seasons.
May 17, 2007
Hairsine is right! It really is very sad to see that so many of you need answers right now! I think that most of you don't really understand what Lost is all about. There are indeed hundreds of unanswered questions, but that's the beauty of it! Lost is a puzzle and when solving a puzzle you need a lot of patience and imagination.LOST IS THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!! The only thing that upsets me is that I have to wait for 7 months or so for the 4'th series.
May 10, 2007
Seriously i think it is really sad that people NEED answers right now - do people lack the imagination and attention to actually watch and enjoy how great Lost really is, getting better with every episode?? How very very sad!!
May 09, 2007
As Lost has been drawn out lately I am glad of the idea of it finishing in a set time. The producers obviously have it all mapped but as a show is a 'business' designed to make money & the longer a show is on the air the more money it makes then thats the reason the 'meat' has to be padded out with 'filler, to achieve this.

They have overdone it , though.

Someone commented on Walt leaving. The answer to this one is simple. The actor playing Walt is a growing young boy. The timeline of LOST is advancing approximately 1 month per season so they would not have been able to explain Walt's aging 3-4 years in 3-4 months, so Wally had to go. Sad as he had some good mysteres going on, but those mysteries are answered by my own feeling of what the show is about.

Think: all the characters were 'shipwrecked' in their own lives prior to the plane wreck.

Think: The smoke monster - could that be real in 'real life'

Think: John Locke, a paraplegic, magically walking again after the crash. How real is that?

Think: Walt appearing & disappearing like a ghost after his capture.

Think: The messages that appear like the directions to the crashed plane Boone died in & on Eko's stick after he was killed giving John instructions.

Think: something as vital to world security as 'the button' holding back a planetwide electromagnetic discharge being left on a remote virtually abandoned island as part of a defunct 'dharma initiative" and turning out to be 'real' after the button isn't pushed

Think: the above & the report cannisters being left to build up, unread. A lot of non-attention to something so vital to planetary defence.

Think: Desmond's time displacement experiences

and so much more.

Hurley is the major link to the show's reality, I suspect. He and his 'cursed numbers' which reach far back before the flight itself.

What do I ultimately think?. The 'reality' the castaways are living in is not real. I felt Hurley, or maybe the entire group collectively, are playing in a total-immersion virtual-reality style multi-level game, so much in total immersion that they don't remember they are playing a game & thus think what they are experienceing is very real to them.

And what are the 'others'. I think they are representative of those in our society who seek to pull others down to favour their own agendas. They are the mysterious 'they' that those who worry about what others think & say about them all the time as in "what will they think of me... or say about me" everyone spends a lot of time worrying about 'the others' They certainly get away with a lot of oppression, too.

I think 'Lost' is the 'The Prisoner' of the 21st century except not 1 Patrick McGoohan character but a whole group all looking for answers to mysterious questions in theit total-immersion virtual reality game that, while they play, they think is real. Total recall, anyone???

If I'm right I'll know in 2 years. Only time will tell. In the meantime, its fun playing the 'Lost' game & excercising the mind with all the jigsaw pieces.
May 07, 2007
I just read from an official statement that there will be 119 Episodes with 6 Seasons. However the next three seasons will have just 16 Episodes each. Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindeloff have already signed for that periode.
Source is a german Homepage. www.serienjunkies.de
May 07, 2007
2 more seasons will be plenty but the thing is the writers don't want to give anything major away so the last couple of episodes might just be flashbacks a bit gay but hey i still love the show and will carry on watching it.
May 07, 2007
When it'll be over I think I'll watch all season a couple of times again... I just can't stop watching it... I'm an f-word addict!
May 07, 2007
5 season will do fine... more than that will be bad to story. Some answers will be lame like what the hell would be that smoke monster. We will live to see that.
May 07, 2007
I LOVE LOST! I have loved it since season 1 and will continue to love it. If the series needs to kill off favorite characters of mine to continue the story, I'll deal with it. If the series needs to post more questions and add more mysteries, I'll love it and be back for more. If the series answers questions, I'll be thrilled. To those who have stopped watching because they killed a favorite of yours, aren't answering questions fast enough for you or my favorites, moved the shows time slot or showed repeats, here's my response to you.

I'm an avid fan of computer adventure and puzzle games. I've been playing them for over 20 years. Lost is like an excellent adventure game to me. You begin someplace, sometimes not sure how you got there. You roam around and explore, clues tease you to figure things out and as you do, the mystery begins to unfold. Answers are given which can lead to more questions. Sometimes something at the beginning isn't answered until the very end of the game. All the complaining I hear reminds me of the kid who needs to have the solution guide in front of them because they want to beat the game in a day or two. Not me! I love being able to take my time, explore, absorb it, brainstorm the problem and take pride in being rewarded when the time is right. I don't like it when games or TV shows for that matter, are rush jobs and I am very happy LOST is not following this pattern. If five seasons is what was originally planned I 100% support it. All I ask is that the producers stay on course and keep doing things the way they've been doing it. Lost is a very special program and despites some people's short attention spans they should be proud of this accomplishment. To heck with the solution guide, I want to play LOST all the way through without cheating, the way it should be. Keep up the good work!
May 07, 2007
Lost have to give us answers NOW!!! I hope they don't start anwers at the end, it better start answering questions right now or more people will leave the show in any nano-second and with worse ratings it won't have a finale at all.
May 07, 2007
To the impatient TV drama viewers, I say HOW PATHETIC! You obviously could never EVER handle watching a soap opera, could ya? Luckily, those shows tend to fly under the radar of TPTB, and in turn have satisfied many loyal TV viewers for decades!

Lost is an excellent drama, albeit that whole "monster" bent was a cheesy thing to throw in. I'm sure it is probably some type of Cloning experiment that the evil doctor freak is working on somewhere in one of the dharma vaults. Whatever. Lost is a great show. Great cast, although I miss the ones that got axed.

To those of you who need a zillion shows of How to commit/get out of a crime, or find it mesmerizing to watch has-beens play cards... I say, "Thanks a lot for making it so that Cheap television is wrecking the ability for good TV Dramas to stay on the air."

SOY!
May 07, 2007
I think that it is good to set a end so they can wrap it up but I hate to see it go
May 06, 2007
I hope the final season won't feel like just another regular season like the Sopranos right now. It better start answering questions right away instead of leaving it towards the final episodes or to those weird internet websites that the producers put up last season. Anyway, I'll miss this show so much. It's one of the most original shows ever created. Too bad some people aren't smart enough to keep up with it, that why they hate it. It's not as simple as watching bed-hopping doctors or those spin-off crime shows that all seem to have the same plot.
May 06, 2007
Lost needs to end. I was a big fan in the early seasons but really, how long can a show about people lost on an island go before it jumps the shark. Two seasons seems like more than enough time to tie up all of the loose ends. They should end the show before they run out of storylines.
May 06, 2007
Honestly, even that seems too much. 23 more episodes should be more than enough to tie up all loose ends. JJ and his crew are now popular enough to come back with a similar show with the same spirit and get things started again.

Look at Life on Mars on British TV. It ran for two seasons of just 8 episodes each, stuck to the original timeline and got to its scheduled ending with record ratings. Now they're coming back with an spin-off. The original series left fans satisfied and the spin-off will again gather a loyal audience. Also, Cowboy Bebop leading to Samurai Champloo with the same results in Japan.

It's not a matter of instant gratification. 46 hours of fiction is hardly "immediate satisfaction", as Hastings put it below. In fact, it's a rather strong commitment to a work of art. No film or novel lasts that long, and one would hardly complain that War and Peace or Citizen Kane are about instant gratification.
May 06, 2007
No matter how good season 3 is, people stopped watching it months ago and they won't return, season 2 was a very very bad season and it is painfull to see a once-so-amazing show turning into a crap. I think Lost needs an end soon, one more season maybe with 28 episodes will be great. So good bye Lost "the best-bad show ever".
May 06, 2007
I say good! This show has been dragging on and revealing next to nothing for the past two seasons. I like this it will have a definite end date/season. Unlike The X-Files, which died an awful, lingering death. At least Lost will go out with some dignity.
May 06, 2007
2 more seasons is not enough.....
May 06, 2007
You have a point Hastings in saying people want everything right here, right now but is it such a bad thing to want an answer to a question that was posed years ago?

Face it, if abc honestly thought they could drag the show out for five seasons and expect people to still be interested, they must be crazy. No matter how much filler and backstory you put in every week, without addressing the burning questions, people will turn over.
May 06, 2007
We live in a culture in need of immediate satisfaction, thus many people will lose interest in anything after a few years or months or weeks. Think about who were the pop stars when Lost started three years back. Half of them are not popular now. In the last decade we saw all of the following shows peak in popularity and than drop out of interest: Poker Popular, American Choppers, Survivor, the Apprentice, The Practice, Ally McBeal, The OC, Alias, Millionaire, etc. Lost decline is more about our culture than the show, yet the show has done a poor job making the characters be more than predictable 1-d characters. I don't mind the unanswered part, but the same characters making the same mistakes and acting the same way at all times is my biggest complaint.
May 06, 2007
I like that they are setting a definat date now so that they can work up to it and plan how they will unravel the story. Much better than if they were unsure and just rush and give us everything in the last 3 or 4 episodes of the series. This season has been boring at some times but has imo jumped back into the flow of it. Its been great lately
May 06, 2007
It was good in the begining, but the ways they have developed their characters have been awful. This whole thing with Jack and Juiliette. There's far too much going on. Hopefully they'll get it together or end it soon!!!
May 06, 2007
I've reached the point where they could wrap it up even sooner. Sure I watched it this last week. I was hoping for some sort of resolution of the "flight 815 was found with no survivors" comment. Once that came out I thought the show jumped the shark.
May 06, 2007
This news is bittersweet. I want the creators to fulfill their long-term plan for Lost, which has always been around 5 Seasons worth, but I will also miss this show dearly. I never watched TV before Lost came along. It really is the most stand-out show of all time. It has made television a better medium all on its own. Bravo! And there is no point in trying to persuade all these rediculous 'haters' that Lost is still good. Most of them probably don't watch - they've made up their mind, they wanna 'hate' the show just to be different, it would seem. Just 'cause they CAN. It's quite absurd, but the fans can deal with it.
May 06, 2007
The third season except for the last epsoide was very boring.
I think that even 3 season is too much for it
May 06, 2007
It is good that Lost has an ending. Indeed more questions are asked and less answers. (where are Micheal and Walt + dog? There are good and bad sides about things you love that end, but this time it will be a blessing. I need answers people!!!

Judith
May 06, 2007
That's just enough time for them to wrap it all up satisfactorily.
May 06, 2007
A lot of people are saying that two more seasons is too many, but you have to consider the fact that there have been discussions to have season 5 be a shortened season (in the area of 10-15 episodes that would, most likely, have no flashbacks). I think that's perfect.
May 06, 2007
the last 8 episodes have been 10x better than the first season(and i was a huge fan of the first)but now we are actually starting to get the answers...and have a real feel where the show is headed......and anyone whos says that "lost is lost"or "they never give us any answers" need to sit down and watch:"the man from tallahassie","the brig",or even next weeks "the man behind the curtain"(cuz that one is desingned to answer bucket loads about the island and dharma intiative)

i agree,i was not a fan of the first6...they were really quite awful!but after the hiatus they returned bigger and better than ever!!!
May 06, 2007
2 more seasons this show is starting to get on my nerve it is good but it is getting too long
Finally! I can't wait till 2009
May 06, 2007
i always thought lost was going to be 5 seasons... so ne more and i would have been pissed so this is great :)
good riddance
May 06, 2007
There is absolutely nothing boring about lost!! I for one am glad there is a show on tv that doesn't have a neatly little wrapped story each week. With lost it is the journey not the destination. Although I knew it could not go on for too many years it will definitely be sad it see one of the most original innovative tv shows disappearing from our screens.
May 06, 2007
Hopefully a deadline will motivate the writers to stop the "wouldn't it be weird if..." writing style and actually start making some sense of all the loose threads they have been unraveling. I was likely to give up on the series after this season, but a deadline might just keep me watching, at least a little longer.
May 06, 2007
It has been a great show, but it has also lost a lot of the wow-factor it was introduced with. What is remaining now are a few story-writers who seem to be out of ideas trying to stretch the entire situation just so the money-cow can pass by.

It should've ended this season. I love it, I do, but I hate to see it go from great to subpar.

I've got the exact same feeling about Heroes. It's better than Lost will ever I think, but I feel that it has to end after Season 2 to avoid getting lousy bits and pieces being added over time making it crap.
May 05, 2007
Lost is the best tv show in history it definitely should go for at least five seasons if not longer.It's not like any other show all other shows are basically the same.All reality shows should be cancelled.LOST should go on for years yet.
May 05, 2007
Yes, let's kill Lost, so we can have more room for shows like Grey's Anatomy and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
May 05, 2007
Unfortunately, I think it's ABC that's Lost and I'll be very surprised, if the ratings continue to drop, it they let it go 5 seasons. Although the latter half of season 3 has tightened up the wandering plot line, I just don't think former fans who have abandoned the show will come back (unless it's for the last couple of episodes). I do however , feel the production company and the network hammer out a firm deal handling all contingencies so that the die hard fans will not be screwed and left without a proper ending. The major damage has already been done; Don't choose to go down a road that drives the rest of the fans away and leaves everyone with a bad taste in their mouth.
May 05, 2007
Everyone saying "OMG GOOD, ABOUT TIME, LOST IS CRAP NOW!! LOL!!" clearly have not seen any recent episode. The first few episodes of Season 3 were not very good at all, but lately it's been the same quality, if not better, as Season 1. 5 Seasons is plenty, and will be a great point to wrap up the show.
May 05, 2007
They originally said it would be five seasons if the network allowed them. Later they said five unless the network begged them to continue it. SO this is no surprise.
May 05, 2007
on the one hand I want the show to go on, on the other hand I don't want it to be dragged out any longer. Cuse & Lindelof wanted to wrap it up in 4 Seasons if I remember correctly.
May 05, 2007
woah.. im in love with lost
May 05, 2007