Lost Girl: Genie in a Music Box

Lost Girl S02E14: "Midnight Lamp"

Finally! An episode where the monster of the week actually had something to do with the season's big arc! After last week's reveal that the big bad villain is a monster called a Garuda, Lost Girl seems intent on raising the stakes each episode. This is awesome because I was getting a little sick of veiled hints and little girls with vague predilections of danger. Less talk, more danger!

In "Midnight Lamp" Lachlan assigned Bo to enslave a Djinn who could give them information about the Garuda. The Djinn was living as a film star, feeding off the adoration of her fans. Bo wasn't too happy about taking assignments from Lachlan OR about enslaving someone, but a Succubus trying to save the world has gotta do what a Succubus trying to save the world has gotta do.

To catch the Djinn, Bo needed to use an Aladdin-style lamp. Lachlan steered her toward Ryan—the bracelet-giver from "Masks." Ryan could provide a lamp that worked like a music box, but the instructions were too complicated so instead of trapping the Djinn solo, Bo wound up trapping herself, Ryan, and the Djinn inside the lamp. The Djinn wasn't too happy about being trapped and proceeded to try to kill them. Shocker! And since a Djinn can throw fireballs (or whatever those were), it was hardly ideal.

Ryan was able to work the machinery of the lamp so that Bo could call Dyson (E.T. phone home?), who, conveniently, happened to be hanging out with Trick at the time. Trick told Bo that the only way to control a Djinn was to either use a lamp (clearly that method didn't work out) or brand it with something personal to the maker. Hmmm. Bo's a Succubus, right? That's a pretty personal mark to bear on another. So Bo gave branding a try by pretending to adore the Djinn. As we all know, the Djinn feeds on other people's adoration, so when Bo asked if she could kiss the Djinn, it assumed that it was about to get fed, big time. Little did the Djinn know, it would work the other way around. A love bite from a Succubus was certainly enough to count as a brand, so Bo was granted full command and control of the Djinn. No forever-slave for Bo, though—thanks to her morals the mark would eventually fade and the Djinn would be freed of her slavery.

I do wish we got to learn what the Djinn told Lachlan about the Garuda. I really hope he got SOMETHING out of her. It would be a huge waste of an episode if she didn't know anything useful.

After capturing the Djinn, Bo made two big decisions: one that was probably wise, and the other that was probably dumb. Wise choice: she told the Lachlan that she wouldn't be his champion—she would be his partner. Even if Lachlan's not as evil as he seemed at first, he's clearly not someone Bo should trust. His pro-slavery stance and insistence that sometimes you have to do horrible things "just because" are seriously unsettling. Bo was smart not to outright abandon him because as bad as he may be, he's critical to the destruction of the Garuda, who is obviously much worse. The way Lachlan kept emphasizing the word "champion" also made it seem like a champion is something of an official title—and I can only imagine that it has some very nasty strings attached. I'm curious to see if they go more into what being a champion entails, but even if they don't I'm sticking with the notion that Bo's choice to avoid it was a good one.

Her decision-making skills with Ryan, however, were not so good. He gave her a little speech about how amazing she was, and how he didn't expect anything from her, which was exactly what she wanted to hear. Never trust anyone who tells you exactly what you want to hear. Duh, it never ends well—especially if you're in a show about Fae. And his declaration that he doesn't have any baggage? Who doesn't have baggage? ESPECIALLY in a show about Fae! Despite the warning signs, Bo's been feeling pretty vulnerable since Dyson left her, so she let Ryan lead her in the Succubus waltz.

And poor Dyson, by the way. He talked to the Norn and found out that when she took his love for Bo it meant he couldn't love anyone. Whaaat? But I can't say I'm upset he's not with Ciara anymore. They made a strange match.

And an even poorer Kenzi... SHE WASN'T EVEN IN THE SHOW THIS EPISODE! Not cool. Though, to be totally honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was worried a Kenzi-less Lost Girl would lose both it's flare and vitality, but this was actually a pretty amusing episode, in spite of the loss.

Questions:

... Ryan: Can Bo trust him, or should she have run for the hills the second she learned he was a Loki?

... What do you think of the way they did lamps? I thought it was a little cheap to just sub in music boxes, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

... If you were a Djinn who fed on human adoration, what profession would you choose? I feel like there's gotta be something more creative than movie star.

Ryan's not to be trusted but enjoyed thoroughly (just as Bo's doing...)
Many Lost Girl fans have already seen these shows a few months back, so now when it's being reviewed, there's hardly any post-show fan-buzz, which seems to be one of the major factors when deciding if a show will be renewed.

Lol. H O M O phobia is a blocked word. Amazing. Forever more I'm going to use the word gayphobia. I think everyone will get it.
It's not surprising. Considering the "H" word by itself is often used in the derogatory, these curse-filters have to make sure that you can't just bypass it by combining two words without a space. Like a**face or a**clown or c***hair or whatever.
"Bo's been feeling pretty vulnerable since Dyson left her" Uh-- actually. Bo's been kinda done with Dyson lately.... I think she's said it more than a few times.... even if it's kinda/sorta true. I find it interesting that, once again writer, you choose to ignore all the HUGE emotional stuff that happened between B & L like 2-3 episodes back. Amazing. So, is choosing to ignore the "other half of the triangle" homophobia? No? Do I get rotten tomatoes for bringing it up? Especially since this is like the 26 episodes reviews of this? Hmmm.

Any episode without Kenzi is probably not a good one to watch. That said-- I kinda like Ryan. Shippers (I am one) don't throw tomatoes at me. Yes. He is an overbloat to the character base. Yes, it's total BS that he doesn't come with baggage, they are all like over 200yrs old. (maybe they all mate for life...so.... only 1 piece of baggage? Oh, I'm sorry. That's just wolves.) But Ryan brings the fun, and unattached. He's just what Bo needs when she is loveblocked by Dyson and ladyblocked by Lauren. He's a casual, no-strings attached f__k. AWESOMENESS!!! Especially since "the audience" is pretty tired of the emotional baggage.

Fae of the week problem? Meh. I could take it or leave it. It doesn't do alot to advance plot. Again my issue with the back 9 episodes being filler filler filler due to the 2 love interests having issues of their own. Its like....where do we go? UH, writers penalty box. :)

Also-- we really miss you Kenzi....

Umm, Bo was both into Lauren AND Dyson... even since the beginning of the show. Thinking she's over Dyson because (A) she can focus on Lauren now and (B) because she gave Dyson's new flame a peaceful stamp of approval... isn't really that set in stone. Especially when we see her react to seeing Dyson.

Personally, I don't care which she ends up with, both are solid friends AND have shown to be solid relationships (if she can just get around 1-2 major obstacles)
Bo might still have some feelies for Dyson, but she's been pretty Lauren centric for, I dunno, like the last 8 episodes. The beef I have with this review, as with all others put out by this reviewer, is the marginalization of Lauren and her relationship with Bo. It's either sidelined, ignored, or only talked about in a demeaning fashion. I have issues with reviews that do this 26 times in a row.

Ask yourself, this-- If Lauren was a dude character, would he get sidelined for every review, where the only things ever being written about him were derogatory and negative? Honestly, I just don't think so. I think for some reviewers this is an honest to god gender bias.
Well, as far as the whole Bo/Lauren thing goes... sure it's been side lined in the reviews. But really, the whole side-lined thing started once Bo realized that Lauren is still in love with her girl friend that was (until recently) frozen. Even though Bo is pining for Lauren, we (as viewers) hardly see them together any more. So I'm not that surprised the reviewers are treating it like "out of sight / out of mind"

Personally I'm a bigger fan of Bo + Lauren than Bo + Dyson. I think they make a better couple, and that's putting the whole hot-ness of the "romantic" scenes aside.

But Dyson does have one thing going for him over Lauren, it's the HUGE sacrifice he made for Bo. So IF everything else were even, I'd put Dyson over Lauren due to sacrifice vs ex-gf-posicle. But now even Dyson was moving on. So neither is clearly ahead in the lover's triangle.
Lauren does something later on that triumphs anything Dyson has ever done. And technically, he didn't sacrifice anything: he was willing to sacrifice his wolf - The Norn took is love against his will.

A true sacrifice is a selfless one - which is what Bo did for Lauren, which is what Lauren did for Nadia (and will soon do for Bo).
you know you're a fan of this show when you correct the people

stating that this is not a djinn,

it's a afreet, who happen to fall in subclass of djinn

Ifrit actually. Just saying, you started the correcting people thing
nah it cool, i'm not one of those ppl that attack other for correcting me etc..

funny thing is....close captioned spell it "afreet" so

Me personally, I missed Kenzi in this episode. Other than that, it was decent. For me, the last two episodes haven't really "wowed" me, but that's just me. I'm not crazy about the Bo/Ryan pairing. They don't make a cute couple. As for Bo and Ciara, I hated how she referred to Bo as "some woman" when Dyson revealed that he gave up his love for her. Something tells me that he's going to try and get Ciara back though, because he's determined try to love her.

Answers:

1. Don't trust Ryan. He's dark fae, not very attractive, and annoying.

2. The lamp was really interesting. I like that they did something different and unique.

3. Honestly, for a a Fae that feeds off human adoration the best profession to be in would be one in the entertainment industry of that of an athlete, because they receive the most of it. It may not be original, but I'd probably be a movie star, too.
Athlete == bad idea

1 - Lots of work being an athlete with any kind of following... SERIOUSLY hard work. And from what we've seen, not all Faye are as physical as Dyson.

2 - Blood tests and such, would raise too many red flags. They are constantly tested. And if you're TOO good, then people go out of their way to discredit you. See "Lance Armstrong" We know from past episodes Faye have different genetics and hormones/enzymes/etc in their blood.

3 - Age / Time. You can be a "hot" movie star for a few decades without raising any eye-brows. But scoring Silver and Gold medals into your 40s+, too many suspicions.

Here, the Djinn was known for being hot in "Rated R" movies. Easy work, lots of fans.