Lost Girl: Little Orphan Instincts

Lost Girl S02E10: "Raging Fae"

Things are not going so well for poor Bo.

Not that they've ever gone particularly well: Bo spent her teenage years as a runaway, accidentally killed her boyfriend while trying to get it on (before realizing the Succubus thing), and then—as if she hadn't been through enough—found herself in the middle of a centuries-long feud between Light and Dark Fae. Granted, there have been a few random patches of time where things seemed to be going alright for her—last season she made it through several episodes' worth of developing an almost-normal relationship with Dyson. And she's gotten into a fairly standard routine of chilling out with Kenzi and then going to the Dal. But right now, things are getting distinctly worse for our little Succubus. There was already a lot on Bo's sad plate going into last night's "Raging Fae." Once upon a time, both Dyson and Lauren were vying for her affections—now both of them have old flames getting in the way. True, Lauren's girlfriend is in a coma, but it's kind of hard to get too close without thinking about that girl in the big glass dome. So, there's that.

Then there's the whole knowing-she's-going-to-bring-about-Trick's-death thing. Has Bo ever killed anyone, besides the boyfriend way back when? She usually just drains some of their chi without actually going all the way (in that sense, at least). So it was obviously weighing on her that she might have to do the deed (again, in that sense)—and on Trick, of all people.

Basically, by the time little miss Mel, the way-back-when-boyfriend's sister, strolled into town accusing Bo of murder, Bo was already on the brink of hitting her emotional rock bottom. Had Mel come around when Bo and Dyson were taking baths together and talking about romantic getaways, I doubt Bo would have been so eager to skip town. You could argue it was just her runaway instincts kicking in, but I think her desire to flee was rooted in something much deeper.

Lost Girl keeps dropping hints that something, some force, is building and possibly about to come to a head. The Nain Rouge warned Bo about it, Trick recognized it when tracking the progression of suddenly violent Fae, and Ferraro marked the second villain (after Raynard from last week) to mention that he feels some kind of chaos growing. The show is simultaneously driving Bo into a darker and darker head space, and I do hope we get to play with this more. I'd die if we jumped into next week's episode to find that Bo reverted to being all perky and happy. Happy characters are no fun. I want a meltdown!

Bo did get a lot of validation in this episode, though, which may stave off her breakdown. It was very cathartic to watch her save a little boy from making the same mistakes she did. The boy, Tyler, was using his frog Fae abilities to help his adopted human father win fights. What he didn't know was that if he did it one more time, it would kill his father. Bo managed to use her own experience to convince Tyler to stop the fight and save his dad. And she did that even without the pressure of Mel on her back, because Trick and Hale scared her away by making up some story about how her brother was murdered by a serial killer. That was easy.

Maybe this sounds cruel, but I really hope Mel's disappearance and Bo's charitable deeds don't keep Bo from spiraling out of control.

Like many recent Lost Girl episodes, "Raging Fae" smacked of filler, just there to take up space. Don't get me wrong, it was thoroughly enjoyable, but it didn't move anything along. What I'm hoping for now is that Bo will continue to spiral downward and this "force" that seems to be building will make itself known when she's at her lowest. That's when the stakes will start to rise, the conflicts will solidify, and the drama—and my faith—in this series will be restored.

Questions:

... Is it cheating if your girlfriend is in a curse-induced coma?

... Were you sad Ciara wasn't in this episode, or are you over her?

... Doesn't Mel look a LOT like Ciara? Or is it just the hair?

... How many episodes do you think it'll be before we learn what this big bad evil thing is?

Dude-- Reviewer, did you totally miss the chalk filled emotional hand off scene between Dyson and Lauren and Lauren and Bo?

That made the entire episode worth it. This one was all about Bo's fraility, her fears, and how the folks who LOVE her rally together to try to help and make her stronger. Some of THE BEST PERFORMANCES OF THE SEASON came out a few scenes of this episode.

Oh yeah. And Lauren tells Bo she loves her. But you know--> IGNORE THAT. Because why would that moment matter?

Wow. Just Wow.

Moments ago Flag 0 Delete Notzi
Although I love these reviews that you write (that's what made me join TV.com in the first place, aside from becoming a huge "Lost Girl" fan in the last month or so), I must concur with the other members. Bo has killed innocent people before, albeit accidentally, for the most part. In the pilot, Bo killed a man that tried to rape Kenzi, which is how they met in the first place. She also killed her boyfriend, and it was also revealed in the pilot that she left a few other bodies in her wake long before she learned how to control her powers.

Now to answer the questions:

-Can really answer if it's cheating or not, but Lauren should've told Bo about Nadia (who ironically enough has the same name I do, different spelling) from jump street. BTW, I'm not a Lauren fan. Team Dyson.

-I like Ciara, but I didn't miss her in this episode. Once again, Team Dyson. I really want him and Bo to get back together.

-Mel didn't look like Ciara to me.

-The big bad evil thing probably isn't coming for a LONG time.
I really thought that was Ciara in the car even up until she said something and then I remember what was supposed to happen in this week's episode.
again seen the Canada version( which syfi does edit some content of series)
Hmm, are you sure they're editing? I know for some of their shows they do... but I know the pilot they explicitly said they wouldn't.

And since then, we have the cast saying s**t and such... and no blurring and/or obvious cuts/edits when Hot stuff is going on.

I'm not saying SyFy is NOT doing it... just that I'd be hard-pressed to know what they're cutting unless it's full-on frontal. Being a cable channel and showing it @ 10PM means they can do quite a bit.
They are cutting for time (about 2 minutes a show). Syfy isn't doing it on their end, the Canada production staff is. Same editorial staff as cuts the version for Showcase. If you haven't seen the full version, you'll never notice. There have been some vocal dubs but no "content" changes.
"Has Bo ever killed anyone?" Seriously? I really thought we were moving past this whole getting all the details wrong thing.
Yeh. I posted something a little before you... but the reviewers comment made me think I'd imagined her killing Fae

But she has. So we know she's killed humanS and killed Fae.
Yeah, I agree. She's killed a number of fae and two humans that we've seen. She's also mentioned a 10-year killing spree and there have been several other comments along the way, including the body bag scene in the first episode, that indicate Kyle wasn't an isolated incidence.
"Has Bo ever killed anyone, besides the boyfriend way back when?"

Umm, the Pilot? She killed the guy (human) that was trying to rape Kenzi.

Likewise, I believe she also said there have been other deaths over the years due to her needing to feed.

And I think she's probably killed some Fae since the series began (but I forget)

Questions;

Not sure, maybe it is like the whole time zone thing.

I was kind of sad. However, when she is, Bo tends to whine like a petulant child and acts very un succubus like.

Mel looked a lot like my baby sitter when I was a child. I think it might be the hair.

I am going to have to go with towards the end of the season.