Lost Girl: Threesomes Can't Fix Everything

Lost Girl S02E15: "Table for Fae"

Oh man, how awful is it when your awesome friend starts dating a guy who's just TERRIBLE, but she can't see it?! Or, even if she can, even if she tells you she's going to dump him, she ends up coming back with, "We worked it out, and now things are great!" And they are... until the next time he does something douchey. Which usually takes about five minutes.

"Table for Fae" gave me a lot of flashbacks to that sort of thing.

Bo did what so, so of my friends have done: She ignored the fact that she's sleeping with a tool. Ryan's really good at covering up his tool status, too. First, he relied on what jerky guys have always relied on to get women into bed: money. He took Bo, Kenzi, and Nate to a fancy restaurant. But when Kenzi tried to order a three-course meal comprised of lobster dishes (including lobster ice cream—is that a real thing?), Ryan insisted they try a "special" dish. Which meant tripe. Blech. He also belittled Nate's gigs. Bo, a guy who insults your friends and makes you eat cow stomach is not someone worth keeping around.

When Bo got a call about the case she was working on (more on that later), she and Ryan left—but Ryan encouraged Kenzi and Nate to stay. He told them to order whatever they wanted, and even promised to have an agent stop by to talk to Nate about taking his career to the next level. Kenzi, in the position of friend-who-suspects-this-will-end-badly, was willing to warm up to Ryan for such a kind gesture.

Until the agent walked in.

And was the Morrigan.

I have to admit that I'm a little ashamed I didn't see that coming. A talent agent recommended by a Dark Fae? Of COURSE it's going to be the Morrigan! Minus five TV points for me, folks. Nate, who didn't know she was Fae, or even that Fae exist, was beyond excited to sign with the Morrigan. But remember how, back in the episode "It's Better to Burn Out Than Fae Away," Kenzi learned that the Morrigan feeds off her artistic clients, eventually killing them? To keep the Morrigan from adding Nate to the menu, Kenzi gave her an IOU in the form of a favor to be named at a later date. Ouch. Kenzi didn't have any other options, but that move is definitely going to come back to haunt her.

Elsewhere, Bo had Fae to hunt and disappearing backpackers to save. One of the victims was found in an alley, aged by about 60 years. Trick deduced that it was the work of a Serket, a Fae that's supposed to give life, not take it. Bo traced the culprit back to a spa that offered anti-aging treaments. Bo sneaked in, and found that two Serket sisters were draining the life out of broke backpackers so they could sell it to rich people.

Unfortunately Bo got caught, and the sisters were about to kill her when Ryan showed up to save her. At first he seemed all gallant and heroic, until the older Serket sister pointed out that they weren't really doing anything wrong, at least as far as the Fae world was concerned, and that Bo and Ryan should just go home. The Serkets were only feeding on humans, which to Fae—especially Dark Fae—isn't all that bad. And Ryan, being Dark Fae himself, couldn't see why Bo didn't just leave them be. But Bo has a heart, and so she disagreed. She convinced the younger Serket sister, who apparently also has a heart, to turn on her sibling and free their captives.

I actually wish we had gotten more time with the Serket plot. We really didn't learn anything about the two sisters, and I think there could have been a really interesting story there. How DID they get into the stealing life business? How did the older sister talk the younger sister into it? The younger sister said, "It wasn't always like this." What did it used to be like? Sometimes Lost Girl's random monsters seem tacked-on, but in this case, it felt like they a complicated and beautiful story was squeezed into whatever space they had left over after the writers drafted the rest of the episode.

So after realizing that she and Ryan had different opinions on the "Are humans food?" issue, Bo went home and heard Kenzi's story of how Ryan basically handed Nate over to the Morrigan. And there it was. The "I'm totally going to break up with that fool!" moment. If only. When Bo arrived at Ryan's lab to end their relationship, he had all sorts of excuses for why he was right and she was wrong. It would have helped Nate's career to become the Morrigan's chew toy. Dark Fae aren't really all that bad. Bo's not being as unaligned as she claims. You're just crazy, honey! Classic gaslighting.

And then, the piece de resistance, Ryan led Bo to a fancy car (parked inside his lab for no reason) with the sexy hostess from the restaurant sitting inside it. I gotta know, how did he set that up? Maybe he suspected Bo would come by at some point, but how did he know exactly when? Was that hostess just chilling in the car for hours, playing Angry Birds or something, while she waited for Bo to show up?

Ryan's ridiculous preparation paid off, though. Offering Bo a threesome made her forget all about the fact that he's possibly a psychopath.

Let's end on a random thought, because it just occurred to me that due of the monosyllabic nature of Bo's name, it's really hard to create hybrid couple names for this show. What do you even call Bo and Ryan? Byan? Boyan? Boan? Ro? Or what about Lauren and Bo? Bauren? Lo? The worst has gotta be Dyson and Bo, since Byson sounds like bison. How does the fandom do this?

QUESTIONS:

– Have you ever had lobster ice cream? Is that a real thing? Is it any good?

– For the artistic types in the house, would you accept the Morrigan's deal if she offered?

– What do you think is the story behind the Serket? Get creative!

– Are you missing Lauren yet? Would things be different between Bo and Nate if she were around, even though she's with Nadia now?

There seems to be some confusion about nouns in this fandom. Let me try to stop it before it spreads. Doccubus is a name of a ship, a portmanteau that combines two names into one. Team Dyson is a the name of supporters of a ship, that apparently can't come to an agreement on the ship's name. The reason you aren't agreeing is that you aren't referring to the same things. "Team Lauren" shippers support the Doccubus ship. "Team Dyson" shippers support the apparently-unnamed ship. This is just English. You don't have to like it, you just have to follow it.
DyBo just doesn't sound right. Too negative a connotation for me. While obviously you can argue that "Team Dyson" isn't a traditional shipper name, it works just fine for me. As for the Doccubus shipper name it was created for the same reason that DyBo isn't the preferred shipper name all the other combinations sounded "too silly" or negative. Oh and if you want to know how I know this, I created the name.
Ryan = Worst. character. ever. He is this show's Riley.
Bo/Trick would be Brick. Now, that's awesome :)

Haha in all seriousness, other than Doccubus it's mostly Bo/Dyson (or Team Dyson). No one bothered to do anything with Bo/Ryan, that's how popular that storyline was.
Another episode with very little point. Except to illustrate that Bo is escaping, Dyson is crying in his soup and throwing everyone under his love bus, Ryan is dark for surz, Kenzis one line zingers were not potent again, and Lauren is still missing from the show.

3 thoughts on making the show better. 1) Lauren...wtf? She's the "other" main love interest and missing for 2 episodes now. huh writers? I can think of something to fix it. IT's call character development.... but I forgot. Lets waste that time with Ryan. 2) Dyson. oh my god. Fix him. He's broken and doing no one any good. 3) Too many extra characters. Ryan, Nate, Nadia, Ciara. Way too much going on. No movement on plot.

Other questions--

1) sweet and savory. I can see it.

2) I would love to burn out and die. Fun.

3) 1000 years of servitude. Ive decided combining the love interests might fix all things.

4) Yes!!!! LAUREN! Come back. Cause this love triangle is still effed up. She would totally square off Bo. She tends to be a barometer for emotions and grounds Bo in the here and now. It's an avenue that remains unexplored..
Wolfubbus?
It's just Team Dyson. From ep 1.05.
I lol'd at the "Byson sounds like bison" never thought about how hard it would be to mix Bo's name with anyone, lol.
Bo and Lauren are popularly referred to as "Doccubus". No names have been granted or used for other relationships. There is Byson but Bo and Dyson fans mostly dislike that name and don't use it. Dybo would be appropriate but it's mostly just Bo/Dyson.

And yes, Lauren should return STAT. She is with Nadia, but that will fade away soon but at least she keeps Bo grounded (and smart) when she's around and Dyson is acting like a douche.
"Granted"? By whom? Are we supposed to wait around for someone to give us permission? Team Dyson knows exactly what our name is. Maybe if doccubus watched the whole show instead of just Lauren scenes. They would know too. xD
Um yeah because all Doccubus fans do that .
Excuse me? Maybe you are the one living in your little bubble because there is not a "unanimity' when it comes to Team Dyson fans. I've seen several people using the term Byson, Dybo, Wolfubus or simply Bo/Dyson. Team Lauren is mostly Doccubus. That's what I meant.
There will always be people who don't use shipper names and just refer to couples as Bo/Dyson or Bo/Lauren. But among those who do use group labels, the only confusion I've ever seen is with doccubus fans trying to be dismissive of Team Dyson. Particularly from the non-US contingent who try to pretend they don't exist. Which is why using language like "granted" is pretty riling to people.
Ah, so you ran out of arguments there? Glad we are finally on the same page, then. By the way, a mirror is always a nice accessory to carry around ;)
I'm done with this. You are unpleasant and incorrect.
Um, no. The reviewer asked about shipper names and specifically used the squishing of the names as an example because that is what a shipper name actually implies - which the reviewer seems to know better than you do. If anyone should reread the last paragraph, that person certainly isn't me. A Team "anything" is never going to be a shipper name, it is merely a designation - and yet the ship isn't lesser by any means because of that. Did you get it now or should I spell it out for you?
"Honey", "sweetie" and "slow"? Thanks, you are a lovely person. The reviewer said it must be hard to create hybrid couple names and then asked how does the fandom do this, please reread the last paragraph as necessary. The answer is Bo/Lauren shippers call themselves doccubus and Bo/Dyson shippers call themselves Team Dyson. You are the only one with a problem with that answer.
Again, no. You say you are an adult so I'm going to have to assume you are slow. The reviewer SPECIFICALLY asked about shipper names as in squishing of the names. Team Dyson is not a shipper name. I don't remember ever implying Doccubus fans or its fanbase are "more" because there is an actual shipper name. Again, that is you with the inferiority complex. As for the Bo/Ryan comment, again, not mine or related to me whatsoever so why don't you go take out your frustrations somewhere else?

Come on the honey's and sweetie's need to stop. It is rude. I'm an adult and I don't need the condescension. Shipper names are what shippers call themselves. EvilRegals are shippers. Team Dyson came from the show. Kenzi gave it us. It isn't some generic team whoever thing. The use of Team Lauren is either reactionarily to Team Dyson or to avoid being associated with some of the doccubus fandom (as in the "doccubus mafia"). I don't like the implication that doccubus fans are somehow more because those shippers have a name. And I know you are going to say that not what you meant. But look at the comment above that no one came up with a name for Bo/Ryan because everybody hated the pairing. It is the same attitude when doccubus pretends that Team Dyson isn't sufficient nomenclature to count as a shipper name.
What's with the inferiority complex? No one is refusing to acknowledge anything. The fact is that a Team "anything" is not a shipper name. The reviewer specifically asked what are those used in the fandom and other than Doccubus, there aren't any. You could say that people sometimes use Bola, Boren, Dybo, Byson but, like I originally stated those are not used/accepted by a large contigent of the fanbase so it is mostly Doccubus and Team Dyson. I'm not denying Team Dyson exists, sweetie, I'm denying it is a shipper name, because it isn't. Not once did I dismiss anything, that is YOUR doing.
Team Dyson is from the show. It is what the Bo/Dyson shippers call themselves. It means less than nothing that an overzealous doccubus shipper refuses to acknowledge the position. The fact that you do, is what I mean by being dismissive.
No, Team Dyson is not a shipper name, nor is Team Lauren (which is just as LARGELY used and yet is still not a shipper name). That is simply what fans use to refer to their ship (or sometimes Dyson and/or Lauren) because they aren't comfortable with actual shipper names. I don't see what the problem is. If Doccubus wasn't a reality, no one would be using Bola, Boren, Labo or whatever people would come up with, they'd most likely stick to Team Lauren.
Missquadros--Well, there was nothing at all dismissive in your reply whatsoever. Team Dyson is the shipper name, it is accepted and used by a LARGE contingent of the fanbase. Doccubus calling them Byson ("Bison") is pretty much like Team Dyson calling Bo/Lauren Bauren ("Borin'), which might be appropriate, but is also rude.
It was an interesting episode. I enjoyed it. I thought something like this was going to transpire given Ryan's dark fae status. So at least there is going to be a bigger showing of the world of the fae. Which I like. Dark or light, there really isn't that much difference between the two, aside from the whole feeding on humans thing. Both have their agendas, the light seem to have more secrets because they are supposedly not bad. But are they, if the only difference is the human thing then there is a ton of gray areas, as we have seen with some of Bo's cases that have involved the light. So while Ryan is kind of a tool, he did have a point. And about Nate, I think as he was sitting on the table or whatever talking to Kenzi about missing his shot. Had you told him that she was a whatever she was and he could have had ten years or so of Rock Star status. I think he would have taken it. Without even giving it a second thought.

As for the whole Ryan and Bo thing. Who cares? It isn't going to last. We needed to break Bo out of the pining for Dyson thing. It was annoying and beneath her as a succubus. I mean really that was silly. So let her get her dark on it will further the story and maybe we will learn more about her. Also, what happens if this might cost her being laughlin's champion.

I think the bigger stories of the episode had the least time. For one, What is the Morrigan going to ask of Kenzi? Is she going to have to betray Bo at some point? And what is up with Dyson spinning out of control? Is that what happens when you learn you have no capacity for love? Is he going to stop being a cop and a light fae. That would be kind of fun.

?'s

Yes I have had Lobster ice cream. It is real thing at least in New England. It tastes like butter ice cream with little mashed up bits of Lobster in it. So it isn't bad. But I prefer Rainbow Sherbet.

Depends on the length of the stardom in my particular field. They never said it would have to be simply entertainment. Since there is success and popular success in several fields nowadays so with Academia it would really have to depend on the deal and what I got out of it. Fun to think about though.

The Serkets are an actual thing. Goddesses in Egyptian mythology. I believe they healed poisonous bites and stings. And who's think I would remember anything from my Mythologies of the ancient kingdoms class.

Yes I am missing Lauren, She is a great character. And now Bo can finally tell her that she sved Nadia rather tan Laughlin. I think it would be different between Bo and Ryan (Nate is Kenzi's) because Lauren can tell her how bad he is and how the Dark Fae operate more. But I don't kow, threesomes can fix a lot of things.

Great episode though. Thanks for the review Julia.
Nice review, as usual. I agree that Ryan is an ass. Out of Bo's three love interests, I like him the least, and that's saying a lot because I can't stand Lauren. Speaking of love interests, BTW, Dyson/Bo is usually referred to as "DyBo," while Lauren/Bo is "Doccubus." Anyway, what Ryan did to Nate today was a b***h move, and I'll be glad when Bo comes to her senses about him. Plus, he's not cute at all! If they were gonna have Bo hook up with a jackass, at least make him a good looking one so we at least see why she's having such a hard time breaking up with him!

Answers:

1. I've never had nor do I want lobster ice cream. As a matter of fact, I've never had lobster before. I'd love to try it someday. Just not in frozen treat form.

2. I'm a starving writer. I'd love to have my novels published and my screenplays turned into movies someday, but would I have my artistic ability and eventually my life sucked out of me for a few years of success? Pass.

3. The Serket sisters once thrived on giving life, however, after getting a ridiculously large check from Joan Rivers for helping her obtain a shred of youth, the eldest sister became greedy. Thus, she started the anti-aging facility and bullied her younger sister into becoming her assistant. They sucked the life out of poor people such as runaways, vagrants, prostitutes and backpacking teenagers, and gave life to celebrities and models. Easy money. Plus, it was legal! They sucked the life from humans, so the Dark Fae didn't mind! It was all good for the eldest sister until the younger sister screwed it up by growing a conscience .

4. Hell no, I don't miss Lauren. Stay gone, I say. BTW, did you mean to ask if things would be different between Bo and Ryan? Nate is Kenzi's man. Oh yeah, I was so glad to see Kenzi this week. She was missed.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post. :D
Doccubus is pretty good, but DyBo is pretty bad. I'd go with IsaWolf (YsaWolf for the pedantic).
IsaWolf is a cool name! How'd you come up with it (I don't get the Isa/Ysa part; forgive my ignorance)? I always thought "DyBo" was kind of silly.
Bo is short for Isabeau.
Oh yeah, that's right! I remember the Nain Rouge mentioned that on "Original Skin" (Ep. 2.09). Thanks! Cool name. :)
I'm so glad to see someone agreeing with my opinion of Ryan! I came really ceasing all contact with this show because of him and Bo... I mean, I like him as a character, but as a love interest for Bo he makes no sense whatsoever. Putting your bff's boyfriend in mortal danger should be an instant, no-holds-barred deal-breaker. Is Bo supposed to be imagining that Kenzi would get over it if Ryan got Nate killed because Bo brought them together? A real world reaction to that would quite possibly be Kenzi deciding that Bo's gone dark and never ever wanting to see her again. I mean, obviously, right? One thing that occurred to me though was that something was affecting her behaviour... I didn't get around to watching far enough along in the show to see if that was the case.

Fyi, I saw the portmaneau of Bo and Lauren somewhere as "Doccubus"... combinging succubus and doctor. Hmm, what about Bo's last name? I can't remember it, if the show ever told it to us.

@safibwana: "She's lighter than light" is a good point... in fact, I would say it's THE point of Bo's unaligned status. She said she chooses humans in the first episode because they wanted Kenzi dead I think? So by her standards, even the light side of the fae are too callous about killing people.
Bo's last name is Dennis (from her adoptive parents)
Bo ISNT as unaligned as she claims. It has always bugged me how she pretty much always sides with the light Fey, always hangs out with the light Fey, etc. She's lighter than light.
She is supposed to be lighter than light. At the beginning, she didn't stand between light and dark, she stood with humans. They're trying to move away from it, but it only creates problems, like Bo losing her humanity and betraying Kenzi.
I figured it's only going to get worse in S3
Maybe but she does hang around dark fey and do some bidings for them too, which is prohibited for a white fey, so that s why she is called non aligned. If she was aligned, she would have been sentenced to death by both sides
I think Bo associates and works with the Light Fae more because she has a heart. Like it was mentioned earlier, the Dark Fae treats humans like property, whereas the Light Fae aren't quite as insensitive when it comes to human life. The reason Bo hasn't chosen a side is because the Dark Fae cares nothing about killing humans whereas the Light Fae are slaves to The Ash.
it's not that they are slaves to the Ash any more than Dark Fae are slaves to the Morrigan. The light fae feed on humans as well, but as was pointed out in 201 I think it was, the light respect the food and don't overhunt or hunt for pleasure. Bottom line is Fae look down on humans and Bo doesn't, that's why she is aligned
oops, meant "that is why she is *unaligned*"