Lost Girl's Season 1 Finale: Exploding With Disappointment

Lost Girl S01E13: "Blood Lines"

Tension had been brewing on Lost Girl for a while leading up to tonight's Season 1 finale. Going into the episode, a lot of conflicts were careening toward a dramatic explosion. And yes, there was drama. And yes, there was even an explosion. But the only response I seemed to be able to muster during the hour was a shrug. Something was lacking—that certain wow factor that makes a season finale special.

I’m sure that some of you enjoyed the episode, and to be fair, there was a lot to like. Had "Blood Lines" been just another monster-of-the-week episode, I wouldn't have minded one bit. And I get that not every TV season has to end with a bang, but the events that went down tonight had been building all season: Dyson told Bo that Saskia (a.k.a. Aoife) is her mother! Trick revealed his secret powers of Blood King-ism! Bo had a death match with her mother! This was not supposed to feel like any other episode. It should have been thrilling! But unfortunately, it wasn’t.

Here's what I think went wrong. Admittedly, some of the episode's missteps were smaller than others, but when combined in the same beaker of an episode, they made for an explosion of mediocrity.

1. There was way too much going on

Great television relies on excitement and surprise. But cram in too much of either, and each new discovery, each new plot twist starts to mean less. Tonight we learned that Aoife is Bo’s mom, we learned what happened to Aoife, we learned how Trick’s blood magic works, and we learned that Aoife is plotting to destroy Fae structure. That's a lot of learning. And then the Ash got hit by an explosion and is probably dying. Also: Trick might be dying, and Dyson can’t feel love for Bo anymore, and Aoife got kidnapped by some mystery man, and now her entire rebellion seems over.

It was too much! Some of these events could have been spread out over another episode or two. Putting everything out there at once made the finale feel less impactful than the sum of its parts.

2. The fight scene was lackluster

Bo versus Aoife! The match-up should have been sooo exciting, with Bo fighting for the future of the Fae while infused with the powers of both Dyson and the Blood King. But it just didn’t come off as that intense, and didn’t last nearly long enough. As soon as it ended, all I could think was, “That was it?” I understand that TV shows don't always have the budget to stage something mind-blowing, but this was pathetic.

3. Bo was all over the place

Seriously, she kept wavering back and forth between being mad at Dyson and not loving Dyson—it happened about eight times. And her feelings flip-flopped about her mother almost as much. Human nature is dynamic, yes, but this was a little ridiculous, to the point where I wondered if the writers were throwing darts at index cards with random emotions scribbled on them.

Also, when Kenzi asked Bo how she felt about her mother, Bo listed several conflicting responses, including “great.” Hey Bo? Saskia/Aoife just raped your boyfriend. I know you’ve been searching for your mother for years, but..."great"? Really?

4. Aoife’s plan didn’t make any sense

Aoife wanted to destroy the entire Fae infrastructure? With very attractive suicide bombers? Everything we'd seen before tonight implied that the Fae structure of power runs a lot deeper than a few old Fae sitting around a library. But even if it had been that easy, how did Aoife presume she'd take over afterward? By using her Succubus powers? Oh, you mean the same Succubus powers that the Light Fae can negate with that amulet they possess? I just didn’t get the feeling that she had any hope of succeeding. A good villain at least has to have a shot, otherwise why do we care if the hero wins?

5. Why was Bo the only one who could stop Aoife?

Throughout the whole first season, we’ve been told that the reason Bo can handle the particular cases she pursues is that she can work outside of factions. She may not be the most powerful Fae, but she can go into Light and Dark territory, and she is not bound by either side’s rules.

But dealing with Aoife’s threats didn't require anyone to work outside the system—all the Fae needed was a heavy hitter to put her down. I have a hard time believing that Bo was the best they could do, even after the Light Fae elders died.

6. The characters called Aoife's actions toward Dyson everything but rape

They even said “seducing” at one point. If this had been a male character magically forcing a female character to have sex with him, everyone would have called it rape. This really bothered me. And the fact that apologized to Bo for it happening made it even worse. Last week I said I'd be outraged if the writers didn't address the rape thing this week; well, they addressed it, but I would have appreciated if they'd called it what it was.

I guess it goes without saying that I wasn't entirely impressed with how Season 1 concluded. But I’m still looking forward to Season 2. It’ll be interesting to see how the Fae will rebuild their infrasctructure, and how Bo and Dyson will handle the "Dyson not loving her anymore" issue. It also helps that we don’t have to wait for Season 2—SyFy will begin airing it next week. Hooray for no downtime!

Questions:

– Am I being too harsh? Did you love this episode? Or am I leaving out another reason why it was lame?

– Now that we have confirmation of who Bo's mother is, who is Bo's father?

– Who was the mysterious man who carried away Aoife's body?

– How many shirtless thralls does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Did anyone else notice the similarities to the Luke/Darth Vader fight during the Bo vs. mom fight? Basically, "join me and we will rule the galaxy together!" I kept waiting for Bo to have her hand cut off.
dont give up on lost girl! season 2 brings alot of good stuff ;)
I don't think you were being harsh. I completely agree...with pretty much all of it. I have nothing much to add. It was lackluster, and while it's great that in hindsight for those who've seen the second season it all becomes crystal clear..watching it episode by episode as it's been aired here in the US, it was a very lackluster, confusing, and unimpressive season finale for a show that's relatively entertaining. Oh and not nearly enough of Kenzi...who is awesome, and should be shown from beginning to end.
as much as I love the girl on girl, this show has lost me!!!

sadly not interested any more!
I've been wondering what the target demographics of this show is. Bo has all the characteristics of a rebellious teenager, so it seems to me like a show for teenagers trying to pass as a show for adults.

Let's see. She can't commit with a side (while adults commit to things all the time, especially family and career). She says she'll lead the life she chooses, and the Fae elders (the Fae grownups) won't tell her what to do. She does a lot of sexual experimentation. And she has mommy and daddy issues.

But I guess in a way she really is a Fae teenager, since all the other Fae seem to be hundreds of years old...
I think the episode had its ups and downs. The Wolfman giving up his love was a poignant scene. (Let's see now if in season 2 Bo will fight will all her strength to restore their love, or will use that as an excuse to sleep with every other character in the show.) The Blood King deciding the outcome of the fight with his blood seems to be something that will bring serious consequences in the future.

But the final fight scene was pretty lame. The show's low budget was more than evident there. It just looked like two women in an otherwise empty house poorly rehearsing a few fight moves.
S1 finale was awesome , why are you complaining!!
yeah watch the season finale of season 2 and ended on a interesting cliff hanger
Season 2 does get better, but I still have plenty of issues with this show. The Number One problem this show has is Bo! I don't buy her as this tough, sexual chick! I find her so boring! Kenzi is so much more interesting to watch! I really wish this actress would find another show where she could do more because Bo is just bringing her down!
and yes julia you are being too harsh. i know its your job to review ( i get that! ), but season 1 is the set up. the short season is all about laying the ground work, and allowing us to be introduced to the characters & their corks. Maybe the ending was jammed pack, but so much happens in season 2 that I can understand why the writers felt the season needed to end with more items for season 2 to fall back on.
well julia I have finished season 2 so i'll limit what I have to say SyFyFan88 is 100% percent right. I can't comment on the build up or even the climax ( in regards to quality ). Yet this episode was filled with a lot regarding season 2 which is much better then season 1. There is a lot going on in season 1 which sets up story plot lines in season 2. Give it more time Julia. Don't throw it to the wolves just yet. The show will have a great pay off. I'm already excited about season 3! (p.s.- season 2 is like 22 or 23 episodes.)
stanking - that was when it aired in Canada, where it's from. They are reviewing it now because it only just aired in America.
So if TV.COM is showing this episode as airing 17 months ago, why is it being reviewed now?
I've seen both seasons, so hindsight explains/ answers some of the questions from that final episode and it is a great cliffhanger.
Hey sorry but they do explain how Aoife would have the power to take over fae world and why Bo is the only one to defeat her but that was in season 2 finale so... the information came in kinda late. I would also like to point out that it make's sense why they sent Bo because it's the same plotline in "Wanted" where the offspring kills the parent because the parent can't bring themselves to kill off their children.
I liked the finale but maybe I liked it better because I went from the finale to S2's premiere? :D
Sorry, but I really enjoyed the finale. Never got confused for a minute, even with everything the writers crammed in, which wasn't that much. I think you're making way too big a deal out of this.
It's not that "Lost Girl" has a tv show budget - it's got a CANADIAN TV show budget - you are watching a Canadian series; do give it credit for kicking some ass locally and internationally when it's a 100% Canadian production (and they clearly upped the budget for season 2, so you know - much more effects and fun things to make fights quite amazing).

As to all the confused people: Lost Girl just finished season 2 in Canada (and possibly some other international markets), but the USA just got Lost Girl, hence only being in season 1. Just like we here in Canada just got the Rizzoli and Isles season 1 finale, when the USA has two seasons. While we get a lot of American television in Canada, it's actually EXTREMELY rare for our shows to cross the border.

Now, I admit I haven't seen the season one finale in a year, but wasn't Aoife trying to get the Light to fight the Dark with the bombing? As to the amulet - it would only work for one person, so that would hardly be able to stop her.

I agree with you on the questioning of Bo's powers in season one.........but only in the sense that Bo doesn't know much about herself, and is as in the dark as the audience, but the other players in the game know stuff about her that has not been provided to the audience in season one (and there's still unknowns in the end of season two). Yes, part of why Bo is awesome is she can go to the Dark and the Light, but watch season one again and notice how everyone is always trying to move her around the chess board: they know things she doesn't know. Actually, overall, there's SO MUCH about this ep that makes more sense with season 2 knowledge, but you'll have to wait and see.

I agree on the rape. Should have called it what it was. Perhaps this is because Bo herself commits rape and to call it that would be too edgy? I don't know?
I think last week season 2 had finished his last episode. It will get worse in season 2 and finishes totally lame and stupid =(
season1? i think its in season 3 in canada
Isn't Season 2 almost over?
season 2 ended last week i believe