Lost Girl's Season 2 Finale: The Final Set-up

Lost Girl S02E22: "Flesh and Blood"

All season long, Lost Girl has been doing a really good job of building up suspense. The Garuda has been a threat for several months now, so last night I was just about dying to see what would happen.

If I hadn't been so excited, maybe I'd be less disappointed right now.

The rational part of my brain realizes that "Flesh and Blood" was a perfectly serviceable episode that didn't make any big mistakes. But I'm sorry, when you spend months getting me all hyped up to find out how Bo will defeat the Garuda, my expectations are gonna be high. So let's break down the small mistakes that made Lost Girl's Season 2 finale such a "meh" episode.

First off, the problem with having the big, bad villain wait to make his move is that you really have to give him a reason why. Even a bad reason! After months of waiting, the Garuda had his shadow minion just show up at the Dal one day and whisk Trick away. He could have done this at any point in time! He could have even gotten REALLY clever, and taken him when Bo wasn't around! Had he done that, she wouldn't have known Trick was gone until too late, and the show would be called Lost Garuda by now.

"Life is hard when you don't know who you are. It's even harder when you DO know, and that thing is a fiery, soul-sucking bird of DOOM!"

Hmmm, doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

It was awfully lucky that Bo not only knew Trick was gone, but that he had also JUST discovered where the Garuda was hiding. How convenient! And since she had just assembled her team and thought of a way to keep them all together (injecting them with her blood to make them supernaturally loyal to her), they were all set to go! Except that Hale's sister Val, who we met in "The Girl Who Fae'd With Fire," showed up, too. I was happy to see her because she seemed like a pretty cool character... but then she didn't do ANYTHING! Think about it, all episode, what did she do? Okay, sure, she helped out with the Berserkers. All, like, FOUR of them.

Here's another complaint: I know stunt men are expensive, but if you don't have enough minions to fight off it kind of looks like your evil lord is strapped for cash. No one is scared of Doctor Frugal or Master Coupon Cutter. Speaking of low budget, it was awesome that they decided to set the season finale in an abandoned mental institution. It was significantly less awesome that it looked like it could have been ANY abandoned building. When you say things like "abandoned mental institution," I expect to see something terrifying. When I get a generic warehouse instead, it's disappointing. Plenty of other shows have done far more on what was likely a smaller budget, just saying.

Despite being outnumbered, the Berserkers still managed to seriously wound Kenzi. She was unconscious and in bad shape. So Hale used his siren abilities to... I feel stupid just typing it... sing at a frequency that could cauterize the wound. Yep. That happened. Pretty sure that was a decision the writers' room made at 2am the night before their deadline.

Writer 1: "Okay, looks like we're done... wait! On page 40 Kenzi is dying, and on page 41 she's fine!"
Writer 2: "Just have Hale heal her with his voice."
Writer 3: "But that doesn't make any sense!"
Writer 2: "Whatever! I'm tired!"

... That's my guess at how that scene came to be.

While Bo and her friends fought their way through what could easily have been a warehouse against fewer people than it takes to run a laundromat, the Garuda tried smooth-talking Trick into rewriting the Fae laws. He showed Trick a vision of when he wrote the laws in the first place. According to the Garuda (WHO IS OH SO TRUSTWORTHY), the Light and Dark were just about to unite to kill Trick anyway, so Trick didn't have to write the laws to save the Fae, he had to write them to save himself. The Garuda's solution was for Trick to unwrite the laws so the Light and the Dark could come to peace naturally. Okay, come on. Even if the Light and the Dark had something they could agree on eleventy-jillion years ago, it doesn't mean they do now. And this suggestion for peace came from someone who feeds off of chaos. Despite the Garuda's poor debate skills, Trick was just about to write with his blood when Bo busted in and pointed out that he was being an idiot. But it was too late. The Garuda's argument had weakened Trick to the point where the Garuda could possess him.

That, I admit, was pretty cool. It also made Nadia's death more meaningful, because Bo and Lauren were able to use what they'd learned from Nadia's possession to defeat the Garuda. Lauren had determined that when Nadia was possessed there was Fae DNA in her blood. So that meant there was some amount of Garuda in Trick, enough that Lachlan's venom could kill him. So they did that, it worked, and we got a pretty neat little animation of a fiery snake battling a fiery bird. Trick died in the process, but Bo brought him back with his wife's life essence. Trick had given it to Bo to use on herself if the whole soul-binding thing turned her evil, but she decided to use it on him instead.

All in all, it was a mostly mediocre episode. But at the end of the day, this season finale did exactly what it was supposed to do; in my opinion, it's more important for a finale to get you pumped for next season than it is to wrap up the threads of the current one. In that respect, "Flesh and Blood" succeeded. Bo is totally turning evil, since she didn't take that life essence. Last week's episode left me wondering what villain could possibly give Bo more of a fight after she finished with the Garuda. What's more powerful than the Garuda? Bo herself.

And what was that on Kenzi's arm? Must be from the bottle that fell on her at the Norn's last week, right? I'm really curious to find out what that was, and how she'll deal with it.

Finally, the love triangle: Bo hasn't really had to deal with the Lauren-or-Dyson decision much this season. Until recently Dyson wasn't able to love her, then Lauren had Nadia around. Next season looks like an all-out battle for love! Though Dyson and Lauren may both be less into her once she starts turning mega-evil. Though maybe not! We shall see!

Questions:

– Are you Team Dyson, Team Lauren, or Team Both?

– How many Berserkers does it take to properly guard an abandoned mental institution?

– What do YOU think is up with Kenzi's arm? Wild guesses are not only welcome, they're encouraged!

– Will you be watching next season?

Good finish, I can't wait until next season!

Team Both

Approximately 43

I have to re-watch the episode to come up with my idea, it's been a while as I watched it before it aired on SyFy

Yes most definitely!
I'm actually Team Bo. Whomever she ends up with is fine by me. Both have left her to return to their respective lovers before. Bo just needs to be a good little Succubus and do what they do- get as much lovin in as possible. I think it usually takes at least a dozen to two-dozen to guard anything properly, given the size of it. Maybe Kenzi will get a Fae infection. A good one this time that will give her some sort of Fae powers. I've been a fan of this show since it debuted on Showcase in Canada. I will definitely stick around or Season Three. Who knows? Now that Syfy owns it, maybe they can up the budget and buy more henchmen. Lol.
Allo, Julia. Thanks for the reviews.

Immensely enjoyed reading them almost as much as I loved watching Bo and her gang.

Here's my take on your questions:

> I'm for Team Lauren. Lauren's unconditional love for Bo makes her Bo's anchor. Lauren balances Bo's existence if not her emotional well-being. Though, come to think about it, a Succubus supposedly cannot be monogamous. Dyson is also good for Bo as her warrior bond in the Fae World, not to mention to help her heal when she gets hurt in those fae battles. Previous episodes affirm that Lauren is cool with that. I should say that Dyson is the one who gets all hyped up whenever Bo shows Lauren some love. :) I think its because of that wolf-mating thing.

> The logic behind the few goons the Garuda had - I think the writers thought that since the Garuda is so over confident of his ability to defeat everyone and anyone he encounters. Note the number of Lachlan heads he has decapitated, whose venom is supposedly the only that can kill him. I guess he thinks he only needs people to fetch for him. :)

> Definitely something sinister will result in what's happening with Kenzi's arm. At the end, to heal or remove it, the medicine's side effect will make her a fae. I agree with the posts saying that we would enjoy the things that Kenzi's arm thing will bring about interesting storylines. The writers will have a field day with these storylines. I just hope they don't waste it.

> I will of course be watching the next season. Very much looking forward to it.

Have a nice day, Julia. Keep writing those enjoyable reviews.
The amount of dread that one would expect from "the end of all fae" was still lacking in this episode. Besides Kenzi bleeding out, never did I feel like anyone was ever in danger. They talked about "berserkers" coming for like 10min in the little hospital room.. but everyone was out eating donuts.

1) Lauren all the way. She's a fantastic, calm counterbalance to Bo. Their scenes together play out extremely well with a TON of potent UST.

2) Take the 4 berserkers and multiply that by like 50. I would take the severity of the situation seriously then.....rather than LAUGHING at the screen.

3) Kenzi-- possession. 100 percent.

4) Yep. This show does things no other show has ever done. Regardless of flaws, Im a big fan.
Definitely team Lauren, however; being her sole mate would be very deadly for Bo, being her and having her never failing ability to get into life threatening situations, it would be very unwise to feed off of a human. So, realistically; unless Lauren is turned into something fae; or gets cracking in her lab, making a mixture that will heal Bo in dire situations I'd say she needs both Dyson and Lauren. Meh.

Berserkers; a lot more than what there was... It should LOOK like the Garuda at least tried to fend off unwanted attackers. A few hordes strategically placed around the place would've been nice.

Something fun! She is the purfect character to have something happen to! With her wit and amazing presence and dynamic with the others; having a infliction which makes her even more amazing is just the icing on the cake!

Oh definitely! Counting down the days, and wishing the months to fly away and give me December already! (Who would want to miss christmas ?!) And then the show would be on sooon! ;D
Definitely Lauren. However, I'm not naive. Bo is not going to end up with Dyson OR Lauren. She needs them both for different reasons. They both offer her something the other does not. I agree with whomever said a polyamours relationship would work best. And it would be amazing to see Lauren and Dyson working out their differences out of love for Bo.

- The Bersekers were as useless as Nadia, Nate and Ryan.

- Well, we've seen the S3 teaser, seems like she is no longer human

- Hell yeah.
- Team Dyson - he's way hotter (sorry Lauren)

- No idea - two? two hundred? this is way too technical for me

- Kenzi is obviously a great match for Hale - they are both funny and snarky - Kenzi's guitar-playing boyfriend was so lame

- Definitely watching season 3
I'm definitely Team Lauren but realistically she needs both and should have both and fans should stop bitching at each other (myself included) and look at the commonalities of both characters at how we would like to see them develop so that a true balanced triangle can happen. Which with Dark Bo looming I think it is entirely possible that we may see Dyson and Lauren put aside there differences and work together to save Bo from herself. The potential is definitely there for them to do so. They had some wonderful moments together in S2 that proved that they actually could respect and be friends.

The Berserkers were a joke. But I guess that's the difference when you bring swords and crossbows instead of whack-a-mole mallets.

That damned Norn is never going away!!! Obviously it's some sort of Fae power, but I'm thinking it's going to be another one of those issues that is going to tie directly into why the Fae fear humans so much.

The only thing that will turn me away from this series is another season of crappy writing were we have to watch our characters fall into plot hole after plot hole and get very little development as to who they are as a character. I admit I almost didn't come back after the mid-season hiatus during the Showcase broadcast, but my love for the show and it's characters brought me back. With the new writing team and they fact that they actually planned for both a short and long season 3 leads me to think that a lot of the mistakes we saw in S2 won't be repeated. Here's hoping.
- I often find myself rooting for both but Bo and Lauren work best. There is just zero depth to Bo and Dyson.

- I don't think 100 of them would be enough

- Thinking she'll become Fae and hoping it's temporary

- Why wouldn't I watch next season? Been waiting since April!
I liked the finale just fine. It wasn't a stellar episode but I was still entertained. Definitely looking forward to season 3. Definitely Team Lauren.
Team Dyson all the way!
I love this show, but I agree about the finale. It was a bit of a let down, I did like how they've set up the next season.

Definitely team Dyson!
desperately want a next season!
Can't wait until the next season! Great incredible show. Thanks for 2 seasons in a row!!!!
I thought it was a pretty good episode. I too thought the Garuda would come up with more, but I was still thoroughly entertained.

I'm team both. They're both cool to me and either one would benefit Bo. Lauren is the safer choice, but Dyson has more in common with Bo.

Maybe 20! LOL, who knows!!

I think her arm will be posessed by some evil Fae and she will eventually turn on Bo, not by choice, but by force.

Absolutely!!! This show is very entertaining.

Nah, it was pretty much confirmed that Kenzi smacked Bo due to Vex's manipulations.

However the fact that it's "turning" is probably the just a sign that she is turning completely into something. As I THINK the jar of stuff in the Norn's place got her arm wet. So the "infection" is starting there.
Julia, can I just say how wonderful you are. I could not have possibly articulated my feelings on this episode better than you did in your review.

So much hype. So much suspense. So much tension. Then, just ... Meh.

The season on a whole was really good, too! Like you wrote, my expectations were so ramped up, disappointment was almost inevitable. But I still think it's a shame such spectacular season-long storytelling ended in this dissatisfying fashion.

I guess I expected more from the Garuda. Remember how they talked about him at the beginning of the season? "Something old and terrible has awoken and it is coming straight for you." Oooooo! Ambiguous and creepy! Perfect! They hyped this guy so well, the final battle came off completely anti-climactic.

I also think the uncovering of Trick's history was somewhat lackluster. They had created this magnificent aura of clout around the great and mysterious Blood King. Then when the entire situation with the Fae Laws was laid bare, it all seemed underwhelming.

Maybe I'm nitpicking. One of mankind's greatest fears has always been the unknown. So it makes sense mystery is one of the best suspense builders. But usually the answers behind an inscrutable unknown aren't as intriguing as you imagine them to be. It's now popularly referred to as the "LOST effect". (It's just crazy happenstance this show has "Lost" in its title. Also, the Lost Girl finale is nowhere near that level of disappointment.)

And your comments on the production values were spot on! The epic-ness of the situation was seriously hindered by the middling minions and the generic warehouse setting. They could have, and should have done more.

I know I"m being overly critical, but I critique out of love for what I think is a great show. And they definitely did setup the next season quite nicely.

QUESTIONS:

- Dyson. He gave up his love for her. His love! That's some Shakespearean shit!

- More than 4! How is that all the Garuda could get?! Were the Beserkers on strike, or something?

- I was going to come up with my own theory, but I like Mate's WAY more, so I'll go with that.

- Guaranteed!
I love the commercial afterwards: where "Bo" is injured on the ground, wakes up, and says they were renewed for Season 3. LOL.

I thought it was a decent episode. However, and I might get flack for this. Either Trick or Dyson should have died. They went up against the big bad and only an ancillary character got killed in Ciara. That is kind of lame. Sorry. I love this show, but they could have killed someone and then brought them back somehow next season. And not with the little vial of life essence.

However. Safibwana is correct. Ultrasound cauterization has existed for a while. I have a mate that has working on a project in at the University of Washington for just that. And trying to get it portable enough for a paramedic unit to use. And the great thing. No electro current, just focused sound. You don't even need to make an incision. I don't think it is in human trials yet. So what Hale did was technically possible. Plus, he is magic.

Questions

1. Lauren all day, everyday. But I think since Bo's eyes are getting all blue it is going to be a lot of people next year.

2. Those were literally the dumbest badguys ever. It was as if they sourced the badguys from the old Batman show from when it was lame and campy.

3. Kenzi got infected with something at the tree witches place. My guess/ hope is that it turns her Fae.

4. Yup. It is too fun a show. I can forgive them not killing anyone of worth off.

Love your theory on Kenzi's arm! Now you've got me hoping, too.
1. I prefer bo w lauren but realistically she shouldnt be tied down to one so both?

2. wouldnt have made a difference. they are all useless anyway

3. could be some sort of fae virus/dna

4. oh yes. love this show.
1 - Lauren by day, Dyson by night? Both? Bo connects better with Lauren, but she needs to feed and heal and Dyson can provide that.

3 - I'm thinking she'll become Fae --- at least for a while. I'd be pretty pissed off otherwise.

4 - Absolutely!
Last night's episode was great; full of action and emotion, although there were some cons. First of all, I expected The Garuda to up his game and be a bit more badass, but I didn't get that. Also, I wanted Bo and Dyson to hook up since his love is back now, but that didn't happen, either (BTW, why hasn't Dyson told Bo that his love is back yet!?). I can't wait to see what's gonna happen with Bo and Kenzi next year!

Answers:

1. Team Dyson all the way, baby.

2. Apparently more than the ones The Garuda had. The Berserkers are pretty damn sorry regardless of the number of them.

3. Kenzi may have a flesh eating virus in her arm from that potion that fell on her and now she has to go to The Norn and get it removed. Hence, the reason The Norn hollered out, "A gift has been made," when it spilled on Kenzi's arm.

4. Hell, yeah!

See y'all in Jan. 2013!

1 - Lauren. All day. Every day. Ultimately, a poly-amorous relationship would work best.

2 - Hm, not sure I care about this particular point.

3 - Anyone watched "Angel". I'm thinking they're going to "Fred" Kenzi.

4 - Yes.
The show wouldn't survive without Kenzi. I wouldn't worry about them Fredding her, unless Ksenia has a new job we don't know about.
Someone get the season 3 clip at the end of the episode and post on youtube, please. Must see Kenzi with fangs again.
1. Team neither. Succubi shouldn't be tied down. Also, she can settle down literally centuries from now. She is way too young, especially if its Dyson, who she would be stuck with for a thousand years. But in the interests of the show and its viewers. She is a hero whose power is sexy sexing, so if she isn't free to do that in the interests of the case of the week, the show becomes boring.

2. I'd need to see the floor plan, but at least two at each entrance and two in the watch tower.

3. You know, the normal stuff that happens when your arm gets fae-gooped.

4. Of course. And now reading the coverage won't feel like going back in time.
Actually, I think succubi would enjoy being tied down.
- Team Dysooooooooon, he's too cool to rule though...

- Five (one more for Val to take down)

- No Idea but don't kill my boo!!!

- Sure, why not? Lost Girl is still better than Whitney ;)
Acoustic cauterization has been used for livers and spleens and blood vessels since at least 1998. Google ultrasound hemostasis.