Lost: Go Get 'Em, Sayid

Oh Sayid, you play the tortured soul so well... but we all know that, deep down inside, you are capable of really crummy things. You keep saying you're a good man, but when the time calls for it, you have no qualms about throwing a guy onto cutlery in a dishwasher, or torturing a man who claims to be Henry Gale (okay, you were right about that).

But that British accent that rolls so gently off your tongue like fluffy couscous doesn't fool me. You are a bad sonuvab****. You've just hit a string of bad luck that has lasted, oh, about 40 years.

Yes, the former torturer is himself the most tortured of our castaways, both mentally and physically (once by Rousseau and once by Dogen). That's why I'm pretty stoked that Sayid became one of The Locke Ness Monster's lieutenants in last night's episode, "Sundown." Because this guy deserves a bit of something after seeing all his love interests die (or shack up with his bro—ouch!), constantly getting kicked out of places, and being called "evil" or "an Other" by a bunch of island yokels. Oh, and he was murdered. You jerks shall be crushed beneath Sayid's boot.

And crush he did. Goodbye Dogen (if I had known you were dying, I would have asked you more questions), goodbye Lennon. You two (nothing personal) were a few of my problems with Season 6 anyway. Which brings me to this point: Sayid is a killer. He simply can't avoid it. Sure, other people have killed, but no one seems to come across killing quite like Sayid. Whether it's a side-flash, on the island, or off the island, Sayid is a killer.

While everyone is busy paying attention to the differences are between the side-flashes, I'm also concerned with what is the same. Given that the two timelines are split so far away (and using Flash-Jack's teenage son as proof that things start changing long before anyone gets on Oceanic 815), it's amazing that the characters have enough similarities between both worlds as they do. Jack has to help people and fix things. Locke is an idealist. Kate is constantly running from something. And Sayid is a killer. And a pretty darned good one, at that.

And the new Sayid is a perfect ally for "Smocke." He's a broken, desperate man who just so happens to be skilled at ending lives. So he's been "infected" by Smocke, who is making more deals than the devil, and has been promised whatever he wants in return for his service—which he says is "what died in his arms." We're supposed to believe it's Nadia, but could it also be Shannon? Or, you kinky man, could it be both?

Claire, apparently, is also infected—whatever that means—and made a similar deal with UnLocke regarding Aaron. I think it's safe to assume that Claire, like Sayid, died (back at the Others' camp when her house blew up) and was somehow brought back to life by Smocke, then made a deal with him when he appeared as Christian Shephard. I guess that's how Ole Smokey rolls. Find someone dead, bring 'em back, and recruit 'em.

And now he's rolling with an army. (By the way, were his other troops from the beach or were they temple residents who converted? I may have missed where they came from). We've always been led to believe that a giant war is coming, and that various sides had to assemble armies: First it was Jack and Locke, then it was Ben and Widmore, and now it's Jacob and Man in Black.

Here's hoping that we've seen the last of the temple and its Pirates of Penzance inhabitants. I was never comfortable with the whole thing; it just never seemed... Lost. We've spent seasons breaking down reasonable scientific explanations for the show, but the temple was all about hoodoo magic, giant hourglasses, and magic water. Consider me a Man of Science. It just seemed out of place.

Next: Fight! Fight! Fight! >>

But even with all this supernatural mumbo-jumbo and action and throat-slicing, we still don't have a good idea of what's taking shape. And I'm constantly hearing from people that they're tuning out as a result. I totally see what they're saying—this season is undergoing some purposeful meandering. And I know there's a reason for the show moving in the direction it is, but at the moment it's simply moving sideways... and that's pretty taxing. Every season of Lost goes through a point where all the pieces have to be positioned, and I hope that's what's going on right now. So to those of you who find yourselves texting or checking e-mail during the show, I don't blame you, but get ready to go back to giving it your undivided attention.

One thing that certainly left people riveted to last night's episode was the fight between Sayid and Dogen. Lost has had some epic fights over its run, and that was surely near the top. But for me, it was only the third best fight:

3. Dogen vs. Sayid (Season 6): Great use of improvisational weapons, and multiple instances when we thought the fight ended but it didn't.

2. Keamy vs. Sayid (Season 4): Keamy had been set up as the big bad mercenary all season long, and Sayid was our best guy.

1. Juliet vs. Kate (Season 3): Juliet and Kate handcuffed and fighting? In the rain? This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Other notes on the episode:

... Martin Keamy does a great Christopher Walken impression. I though I was watching True Romance for a second there.

... Did anyone else get to the point where they were thinking, "I miss Sawyer!"? Because I sure did. Two weeks with no Sawyer is a bit much to stomach.

... How do you think Matthew Fox felt about having to come into work simply to shoot a scene where he walks down a hallway? Sure, they could have shot it before, but I guess the idea is, did they throw that in there just to give us something to talk about? I'm getting pretty tired of that.

... Why waste the brilliant talent of composer Michael Giacchino by using "Catch a Falling Star" at the end of the episode? I was reminded of those overly-cheesy Joss Whedon moments from Dollhouse. I can't remember another instance in which Lost chose a song and used it like that. We're used to hearing ditties come from record players or car radios.

User contribution news
We discussed trying to figure out what the "infection" was last week, and for the most part, a lot of that was answered in last night's episode. Whether its medical or mystical, it's simply a term they use for those under the influence of Smocke. As for who's coming to the island, we still need to figure that out. A couple shots in the dark said it would be Desmond or Walt, but I'm thinking it's yet another new character.

But my favorite comment of last week came from Dudekotka, who said the most important thing we learned in "The Lighthouse" was where Shannon's inhaler was. Well played, sir.

The Lost Season 6 Episode Power Rankings
(I'll be keeping tabs on each episode, ranking them in terms of quality each week, right here. Your opinions will differ from mine.)

"Sundown": Lots of action in this episode, including a great fight and some good-looking Smokey slaughter. But great action does not a good episode make, and it never really stood out from the rest for me. Last week's episode did the side-flash very well, which I had hoped would be a trend moving forward, but this one didn't have that same nice conclusion at the end that reminded me of Season One. I'm definitely not left starving after "Sundown," but I'm just barely satisfied.

1. "The Substitute" Ep. 4
2. "LA X (2)" Ep. 2
3. "The Lighthouse" Ep. 5
4. "Sundown" Ep. 6
5. "LA X (1)" Ep. 1
6. "What Kate Does" Ep. 3

Your Homework:
There's something that's bothering me that I need your help on. I have heard from multiple people, people who at one point LOVED Lost, who say that they're having a hard time caring about the show anymore. I totally understand where they're coming from, as I have a little bit of that feeling in the back in my head as well. Is it simply a matter of not really knowing what's going on? Is it these new characters and locations just jumping into our party? Give me your thoughts.

Until next week, or maybe later this week, thanks for reading!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I've been watching the previous seasons of LOST and noticed that 'catch a falling star' is kind of a recurring theme for the character of Claire and her relationship with Aaron. When you look at the closing scenes of this episode in that context, it makes sense to use that song. Dont you think?
Hello all. I am new to TV.com, but I have been a fan of Lost since the first episode. It seems so long ago that we were introduced to this mysterious Island. Throughout the seasons, there have been some jaw-dropping revelations and there have been some snooze moments. Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching it and analyzing it. I try to read as many articles on Lost that I can, especially when the producers, Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, are interviewed. I recall reading that we will find out what the Island is. I would love to have the answer to every single one of my questions for this show, but I realize that won't happen. I am trying to enjoy the ride, especially since this is the LAST season, and I hope they answer as many questions that they possibly can. As far as new characters introduced in the last season, I am really not interested unless they have something very important to say or do, like answering questions. I look forward to the next episode, and I really hope there are no breaks or reruns between now and the finale.
I totally agree with the Sawyer comment I love him and without him I don't enjoy the show as much and the Sun comment is spot on!
Can someone PLEASE explain to me PLEASE... what happened to sawyer!!!??? Remember when UnLocke took him to the cave. What happened to him???
came to be and how Jacob made Richard imortal and is able to bring people back to life you just have to take for granted as they'll probably won't be answered because they're almost imposible to. It would be like asking God how he was created or how the universe came to be. You can spend your life trying to figure it out but you won't because it's just imposible to ever know the answer. It just is. Some thing just can't be explained with science and I think Lost will do that, it won't give us a reason how smokey became a smoke monster but they will give us a reason for why he does the things he does and what his objective is but some things they will just leave up to our own imagination and interpretation to figure out

BTW I think the Jack thing might be significant since he has been showing up in everyones's (that we've seen so far at least) sideways-flash, kind of like Jacob did with the touching people in The Incident and they both did it in a somewhat similar situation.

Jacob touched Kate when she was caught for stealing the lunchbox- Jack was seen by her in the airport when she was caught by the marshal. Jacob touched Locke when he fell out the window and might have brought him back to life(he healed him) but Locke still had to go in the wheelchair - Jack talked to Locke when he lost his knifes and gave him his card so Jack could heal him, well his legs but it still counts. Jacob touched Sayid when Nadia was killed - Jacob touched Sayid when his brother was beat up and in the hospital. The only people we haven't seen yet are Sawyer and Sun and Jin but that's because they havent has a sideways episode. So I think it could be significant but untill the next couple flashes I'm not completly sure yet, it could also be that I'm just completly of here:P
For me, personally, the reason why I don't love LOST as much as I used to is because it's just hard to care that much when you don't even know why you should care anymore. So what if the Island blows up and everybody on it dies? For all I know, it's all Hurley's dream anyway. Season 1 was the best because for the character-driven side of LOST, that was when the characters were most real and for the mystery side of LOST, that was when it was most novel and fresh. Now, most of the characters have become sort of annoying (not Kate, because she's always been annoying) and hard to relate to. The stick up Jack's a**, for instance, seems to have grown over time with no sign of it ever going away anytime soon. He was miserable in the real world and still miserable on the island. Why? Because his daddy was mean to him? Because Jacob won't tell him what's going on? Because decisions that he makes seem to always get the people around him killed? Okay, maybe the last one is a valid reason. To stress my point, in season 1, Jack was our reluctant hero but a hero nonetheless, but now? Ugh, don't get me started. For the mystery part, I really, really admire those people who have invested so much energy and passion into it and sustained that energy and passion this whole time. I think that takes major faith and there just isn't enough of that these days. For other people though, like myself, it's like we've been holding our breaths for too long. It's like a guy being seduced and watching the girl striptease but after a few hours, all she's taken off is a few hairpins, a scarf and some kneepads and all the while, adding EVEN MORE clothing. In that situation, I guess most guys would just throw up their hands and give up, realizing that this girl ain't gonna give it up or that by the time she does, it wouldn't matter because he'd have the worst case of blue b*lls ever. Others would be frustrated but still stick around because hey, she's the hottest girl in the neighborhood. Then there are those who are riveted and excited just by hearing her breathe and it really doesn't matter what she does, they could watch her do her laundry and die happy. Personally, I'm in the frustrated but sticking around category. =p To those who hate on people who complain about the mystery being too much of a long, drawn out process, I don't think it's a simple matter of just wanting answers straight up. As in the striptease seduction scenario, it's not just a matter of seeing a naked girl (if that were so, then medical textbooks on anatomy would be on the bestseller list).
Lost is the best show ever for a lot of people regarding critics and semi-fans who cant see past their noses.
@Hovabyte: Hehe. Your "dysfunctional lives" bit cracked me up. I empathize with your frustration over the behavior of the characters.
@airizarr: Yes, the show has fantasy elements, but those elements are governed by rules, and when these rules appear to contradict one another (like how people get infected), a viewer is wise to question the reasons behind those contradictions.

The answers don't have to make "logical sense" in a scientific way, but it would be nice to find out why the frozen wheel was built? And how whoever built it managed to pull off such a feat given the high levels of energy that emanate from the wheel's location.

I'd also like to know how a man could become a smoke/shapeshifting entity? Was he hit by gamma rays? Was he bitten by a radioactive spider? I find it a bit annoying that none of the characters that have spoken with Smokey have asked such an obvious question. And yes, I totally want to find out how/why Richard is immortal. Also, while I don't expect every single question answered, I do expect SOME answers and don't find this expectation to be unreasonable given how the writers have made the Island mysteries a selling point for keeping viewers engaged - and I don't mean the TV adverts, but rather the narrative style of the show itself. Many answers and mysteries are given dramatic weight, often punctuated by the LOST logo and "Lost boom" that accompany the end of many episodes, and when these points are totally ignored by the writers it feels like a cheat on their part. But like I said before, I have faith, that answers are forthcoming.
@buildam2005: I'm happy with where things are going so far, but that's partly because I still have faith that some of my nagging questions will get answered. But you're right, there are plenty of questions that have yet to be adequately resolved. And these questions ARE relevant because they contribute to the continuity and logic of the world that the writers created. These include things like...

The Others' motives? How were they recruited? Why are they such zealots? Why are they such [inset expletive]? Why all the secrets (for example, if Dogen wanted the Jack and the other Planies cooperation, why wasn't he more forthcoming)?

What were Charles Widmore intentions for the Island back in season 4? Was it good or bad? The fact his people (Keamy, etc.) suffered from an extreme case of cabin fever must have changed Widmore's plans. If so, how? And were Keamy and the others "infected"? When Locke met up with Widmore in season 5, it would have been nice if the writers addressed some of these points, but instead, they expected Locke, like us viewers to simply go on in faith.

What did Charles and Eloise hope to accomplish by orchestrating certain events? This is especially important when one considers the terrible sacrifices they made in order to do this.

In light of all this talk of infection, how DOES a person get infected in the first place?

When Ben was healed in the Temple, Richard said he would lose his innocence. Does that in any way relate to the infection the Others are so worried about?
@vstherevolution: Heck yeah! The Dogen/Sayid fight rocked! I also thought it was the most filmic fight of the series in terms of choreography and the way it was shot. That scene featured some spectacular Kung Fu/Jackie Chan action all the way. You also brought up some excellent points about deeper significance of that battle.

My top 3 Lost fights (as of ep: 6x06) are:

1. Sayid vs. Dogen - For all the reasons vstherevolution already stated.

2. Jack vs. Sawyer - It was long overdue and appropriately intense and earnest.

3. Sayid vs. Keamy - It was one of the most intense fight scenes for the longest time before the other two supplanted its place in the top spot.
@joostin_cdn: Yeah, I generally agree with your criticisms. It seems like Mr. Surette is more of a casual viewer, who wouldn't even write about Lost if it wasn't his job. I don't mind anyone criticizing Lost, lord knows there's lots of fodder for attack, but I never understood Mr. Surette's argument against the Temple, which has been one of the longest standing mysteries of the show so far, and was something that the writers seemed to highlight time and time again.
I have no problem with new locations or new characters in and of themselves, but I do find the lack of curiosity on the part of some of the main characters rather frustrating. For example, during "Lighthouse" Jack had a fit over being spied on and manipulated without any explanation as to why, but I don't think he tried hard enough to get some answers from the Others (Dogen, et al) when he was in the Temple.
Are you kidding? "Catch a Falling Star" was one of the best song choices to date. So haunting. As for fans not caring anymore, i think that everyone just expects a revelation every episode. This is partially due to the misleading advertising. I think it's better to just enjoy the ride while we still can. The answers will come in time. Also I think that the flash-sideways will prove to be very important later on. More important than we know right now. Thus, a rewatch of season six once the finale airs will probably be very exciting. Similar to rewatching the last few season five episodes with the knowledge that Locke isn't really Locke anymore.
I'm absolutely loving this season. Reading some of the negative comments makes me feel even more fortunate that I've been able to experience this. . Right now I don't bloated expectations of what the end should be, I just enjoy it. I don't particular care for getting many of the "answers" to the island mysteries many are going nuts over. The whole idea of "answers" to some of the island's mysteries should be at this point somewhat irrelevant... is someone really expecting an "answer" to how rotating a wheel on a wall moves the island? Really folks? LOL! That's like expecting a coherent explanation of how Superman can fly. Many of the mysteries in the show couldn't possibly be logically explained: Smoke monster -- how a normal man became a spirit-like entity - how does it get stopped by a sonar fence / Time Travel / How Richard Alpert is ageless / the Illness / etc.. Any attempt of an "answer" to any of those would forcibly create a mystery out of the explanations. I'm sure we'll get plenty of logical answers to questions that merit it and reality-defying answers all the way through. Once one figures that out, it is easier to suspend the imagination and enjoy the show for the adventure rather than on getting "answers".
@ mherr: I understand what you're saying, and thank you for making your comment intelligently; my comment wasn't directed at people who appear to be smart like you. it was directed at those--and they are around here--who will jump on ANYONE who ever says anything potentially negative about Lost, as though it's impossible to fathom that the show has missteps.

I love serialized shows--certainly far more than boring procedurals where nothing from one episodes has consequences for later episodes (SNORE)--and in fact, my favorite shows of all time are hinged on fantasy/supernatural elements: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. The issue I face with Lost is this: unlike those prior two shows, this show seems to constantly add up mystery with little revelation or payoff. It seems as though old threads--the mysteries of the Others, Dharma, the Orchid, Ben/Widmore conflict--have been effectively dropped in favor of this new storyline between Jacob and the Smoke Monster. The other shows I mentioned always had clean resolutions to the plots surrounding their supernatural elements before introducing entire new ones; with Lost, not so much. I'm not saying it can't be done well, keeping these mysteries stacked atop one another, but for me personally, the payoff has been meager, and the show has seriously lost its luster in recent seasons--the character development has been nothing new, the themes have been unsteady, unclear, and uninteresting, all of those things (which, in my humble opinion, are far more important than plot) ignored for the sake of a complicated plot that is flawed at best. People are entitled to their opinions about these things, but it's unfair for people to simply call those who question Lost's continued quality idiots and other rather nasty things.
I think Jack walking down the hallway was just yet another sign of how connected everyone is. Like when Hurley was on TV in the background while Jin was visiting someone for Sun's dad. I dont think there is supposed to be a deeper meaning. And also, I still love Lost. Always have, always will.
Very good analysis. As a big LOST fan I'm actually kind of disappointed in the new season (just like the last two seasosn). Maybe this show should be stopped after the season 3.
Yep. Sorry Tim, I gotta agree with Joostin on this one.
If you were to examine the progression of Lost's storyline as... well a line, the length of the line representing how far we are from its ending and the thickness of that line representing the amount of mysteries involved in it at any given time, then I'd guess that we were mere inches away from its end. In fact, I surmise that the left over amount of story before it reaches its end is very short. So the only thing that the writers can actually influence at this point would be the thickness of the line. I believe that is the reason we are seeing more questions than answers; there simply aren't enough questions to answer and have the full season run as long as it should, there isn't enough story to last that long. So, what's the only thing they can do? Return to their original product, slow-mysterious story-telling with added puzzles that keep us (theoretically) engaged and captivated by the story and our (feeble attempts at) guessing. The problem with this scenario is that, even though this formula has worked splendidly in the past, it doesn't appear to be working at the moment. People are expecting answers and are getting frustrated because they're only seeing more questions, they are perhaps focusing too much on this element of the show to merely sit back and enjoy the "magic". It's certainly understandable that after six years one may find the same thing that Lost has been doing somewhat repetitive, or perhaps even lose interest gradually. I myself find my interest in all the mysteries somewhat waning, even though I still enjoy the show immensely and will continue to watch it; I'm just not getting the same feeling as I did in the earlier seasons. That's the best explanation I can give for it. That, aside, I believe that great, important things are currently happening. Each episode brings us one step closer, not to revealing something new, but to an actual part of the storyline that is important and impacting. There is going to be a war between Dark and Light, Evil and Good, all the signs are pointing to it and it's going to be spectacular. There may be another reason why people are losing their interest; the mysteries we so longed to solve, unravel and know are simply not as interesting as we have expected them to be. That always appears to be the case - the journey itself is more compelling than the final destination. The endless amount of possible resolutions that we have imagined, expected and hoped for is simply setting the bar of expectations too high for Lost.
I still care. Lost takes its time when it comes to telling stories, but i will say that i am sad that both this episode or Lighthouse fail to answer any big mysteries. Sure we know that Smocke is the one infecting but I mean the writers could have gave us more on that, like does he leave a little bit of himself in every person that dies. If he could infect people three years ago (that what your theory on how Claire got infected) why infect Claire, he should have went after Anna Lucia (who was in alot of ways a tortured soul like Sayid). I missed Sawyer too but I am sure we will have a Sawyer centric episode pretty soon, cant wait. I personally did not like the fact that Sayid became a killer because I love his character and i dont want to start hating his character cause he is going around killing all my other favorite characters. Where is my tough, kill and take no names Sun that we saw in Season 4 and 5, come on writers have her put a gun up to Ben's head next week or something, we know their is a little evil in her as well. Speaking of Ben, the last ten minutes of this episode made a "cant miss" Smocke killing everyone at the temple, Sayid killing Doogan (who would have been a cool guy if could have answered a big season mystery or stop trying to kill Sayid). Ben's look to Sayid when he saw him by the pool was priceless. I liked the song at the end, it made the whole scene feel really creepy but the show could have gotton the same effect through a composed original piece.

I love this show cause of the characters and to be truthful, Lost does not have to explain everything and I guess if they did try to in the first six episodes, it would ruin the momentum going towards the end because 1) it is not Lost's style 2) what would they have to talk about at the end of the show if they solved most of the mysteries in the beginning because lets face it, if the final episode was a big battle between good vs evil, you know you would be pissed off because that is really really unlike Lost. It would be like watching Avatar except it was dragged out to last six years and 100 plus episode. I will be patient but as for other fans, i wont blame you if you wait for the dvd because waiting 7 days for each new episode is killing, especially , like tonight, the episode is a dissappointment and you want to see if Lost will redeem itself next week. Next week is Ben centric, my favorite episodes have been Ben centric, the stakes are high and Lost can either dissappoing or thrill.
The problem with Lost is, was, and always has been it\'s fans. The show is fantastic, this last episode from an entertainment standpoint was **** amazing, the fans? All they want is an episode where Ben sits down with a cup of coffee and explains all the mysteries. I feel sorry for everyone who can\'t appreciate the show for what it is, quality entertainment.
People need to relax, the show can never be season 1 again. I really do hope they don't spend the whole season asking question and then wrap up the series in an hour.

Other than that you just have to keep the faith. Trust that Carlton and Lindoff love the show as much as you do and respect that it was their vision that got you hooked in the first place.
For fans who have stuck it out from the beginning, I can see this season being a bit of a let down. However I don't think I've personally lost interest just yet. In fact I've heard some people say this season feels out of place from the rest of the show, but as this review showed, it has a lot in common. Like the war with Jack and Locke, Ben and Widmore, and now Jacob and Smocke. Just like in season 4, where they had us guessing on how the Oceanic 6 would all come to one place and get off the island, this season they have us guessing who will be on which side of the war. The really interesting ones being Jin(captured?) on the bad side, and Ben(on the good side!?). The only major speed bump this season, I would say, has been the temple and every new character within it. It seems after this week we won't have much more of them though, so that's good. Another complaint I've heard has been that people want answers rather than more questions. Now, I came in after season 4(watched through the whole show 3 times in 3 months), and have stayed with it since then, so maybe I don't know what it's like to wait 6 years for answers, but I think I have a pretty good idea. It seems like all people want is season 6 to be one giant buffet of answers and that's it. Do you realize how terrible that would be? You think season 6 is 'off' compared to the rest of the show now? Imagine tuning in to a week of Lost without being 'lost'. The entire structure of the show was built to give you 5 questions an episode, but only answer 2 previous ones. Without that this season it just wouldn't be the same. Plus they have answered a ton of questions already so you really can't complain. I'm more concerned with what questions won't be answered rather than what they do answer. Obviously they can't not tell us what the island is, but it's what they don't answer that I can't wait to think about for years to come with my friends and family. that's what will give Lost it's everlasting fan base. Honestly, I think what will bring everyone's spirits up right now is a Bencentric episode. And hey guess what; that's next week. :)
wow...
CAN WE GET A SAYID KILL COUNT?

guy's an animal!
I agree that there is too much fantasy and not enough science this season. I miss the simplicity of the first few seasons. But having said that, Lost is still by far the most original show on TV right now. And why do people get so upset if this writer doesn't like Lost. He's just one critic with a very small audience. Compare the amount of comments at EW (over 1700) to less than 50 here.
I do agree with the criticism of the music at the end. It did seem out of place though I could kind of see what they were aiming for.
Also, I agree with karlwolfe50 that the jack v. sawyer and sayid v. dogen are the top two fights on Lost, and I'm pretty sure the rest of The Locke Ness Monster's followers were temple Others who left.
I felt compelled to comment on another of your articles and I\'m not sure if that\'s good or bad. Joostin has already touched on one of my biggest thoughts after reading this article and that is that LOST has always been based largely in mysticism as well as science fiction. Hence the Sci-fi/Fantasy genre labeling. The entire first season of LOST was about the mystical aspects about the island and it is just now getting back to that. The sci-fi elements (scientific explanations) weren\'t introduced until later seasons. For \"fans\" of season 1 that didn\'t care for following seasons, this season has been a great homage to the first. It\'s human drama, it\'s continuation of the early set theme of two sides: light and dark, and it\'s return back to the mysticism and lore of the island. Did this episode start out slow? It sure did, but it ended with a bang! I loved Claire\'s part. She showed the perfect amount of detachment from \"social normality\" which would be expected after all she went through, and the perfect amount of justified anger when Kate happily described how she TOOK Aaron and RAISED him! Does Claire have a reason to want Kate dead? Hell yeah! From Claire\'s point of view, she was abandoned on the island to be tortured and hunted down for THREE YEARS, while her son was being raised by one of the people who left her behind. As for the \"Catch A Falling Star\" song, it was the lullaby that Claire had wanted Aaron\'s initial adoptive parents to sing to him. The song had great meaning, both to the Claire/Aaron story and to the core of the show\'s storyline, a major part of which has been that Claire is supposed to raise Aaron. It was creepy and eerily sentimental and dare I say hauntingly sweet all at the same time, and in my opinion captured the chilling feel of the aftermath of the Smoke-monster\'s raid on the temple.
While I certainly felt ALL the familiar run-in\'s in John\'s flash-sideways seemed a bit forced after a point, I loved the one\'s is Sayid\'s. Jack passing in the hall was reminiscent of the way the character\'s paths crossed in the first couple seasons\' flashbacks. And Sayid finding Jin opens the door for a more intriguing direction for the flash-sideways storylines to begin to become one...

For those people who are getting \"bored\" or complaining of filler, or whining like a bunch a brats because they aren\'t getting the answers they want right when they want them, please take Damon Lindolf\'s advice and CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!! If you have anything to complain about in how the story is unfolding at this point and it isn\'t based on unfaithful character development, or plotholes or something of that nature (which could be understandable) then you are not a true fan of the show and/or have been completely oblivious to how LOST seasons and stories typically unfold. If you want ALL the answers, save yourself the next 10 hours of show and just wait till the finale, and spare the rest of us your asinine [complaining] PLEASE!
@ buildam2005
Not everything Lost does is perfect, but the serial nature of the series makes criticizing the effect an individual episode has on the series ludicrous. There are amazing episodes, great episodes and okay episodes which is a valid criticism, but extrapolating from one episode to the series just isn't very smart when the next episode can completely change how you thought about some of the events in the previous episode or even one several seasons ago. Therefore, I prefer to reserve judgement on those matters and many Lost fans are critical of those who choose not to. Obviously the nature of Tim's job forces him to make those judgments, but it would be nicer if he hedged his bets a little and was less final in the way he worded his opinions.
It's funny how the reactions to these articles changes with how much the article itself sucks up to the episode being brilliant. All you people criticizing the writer simply because he has some negative things about this episode need to get your brains in check. Not everything Lost does is perfect. Sheesh.
What is it with Claire and her whole "Put the Lotion in the Basket" bit. I think that Locke had temple residents with him. I think the new season is a bit like the Julie and Julia movie. Two movies each week.
"... Will Sun ever say anything that isn't some variation of "Have you seen my husband?"." My thoughts exactly LOL
Also if you consider the context of the fight, and WHY the characters are fighting, how can you say the Juliet vs. Kate one is the best? They're fighting over Jack's broken heart. Oh please. It's #1 because they're both hot women and they're soaking wet. Not a great reason for calling it the best fight sequence ever. Sayid vs. Dogen was an amazing good vs. evil fight. It really seemed like it could go either way the whole time. And the subtleties in the fight -- the baseball that reminded Dogen of what he was brought to the island to do and that he had to protect the candidates because he gave his word. Otherwise he would've killed Sayid right there. Great writing.
sayid was good in this episode but i didn't like that he lost his 1st fight with dogan, it was lame. he should have won & spared dogan to prove that he wasn't evil.
Don't agree with your criticisms at all but I guess you can't satisfy everyone. For a Sayid episode, this is by far his best episode in the series. The Sayid v. Dogen fight IS the best fight sequence in the show's history. Go back and watch the editing of the other fights. This one was like a feature film fight, less obvious cuts to other shots, more focus on keeping up the pace and tension. So well done. And I loved how they used catch a falling star. Made the aftermath scenes in the courtyard a thousand times more eerie and memorable. Favorite episode of the season by far, although the last two before it were incredible as well.
I think the lack of lack of care is coming from the fact that we don't know why we're routing for Jacobs side over MIB's, What are MIB's plans and why?. Up until now we always had a reason to stick around and show our support but now we know its ending it feels like we're being strung along for the big reveal at the end and no questions are being answered throughout.
I mean come on, 6 years and not a single member of the cast have ever asked "what exactly is going on here?", "What is this Island?" and "Why the hell can't we all just go home and live our dysfunctional lives like Walt did?".
As much as I love Lost and i'm sure we will get some closure by the end, I did actually get up at one point while watching this weeks episode to go and make a sandwich. And I didn't even put it on pause!!
That saying, due to what appeared to be more of an advance in the story this week and the fact that there was lots of action, I would rate this episode above "The Lighthouse" which suffered due to little Jacks tantrum.
Well written article Tim, 10/10. I look forward to your usual nonsense piece that usually follows.
wheres jack vs sawyer from the 5th season finale, that was brutal, punching, tackling, beating eachother with debris, BRUTAL
oh and to add more regarding the 'homework' question - my current problem is that the sideways flashes are making it almost two totally different shows rolled into one. I thought last night's with Sayid was done very well actually because you could correlate what happened in his past with why he would take a deal from Unlocke on the island.
i expected a much more powerful ending for BSG, and sadly, the way things have been going far too... mystic (if you will) for Lost, i can say that now i quit watching out of curiosity but rather out of habit...
I thought those dudes were temple residents.
About not caring for last episodes... I had the same feeling for the last 10 episodes of Battlestar Galactica, look how that turned out...... I trust the writers have a mind bending ending that I will enjoy and hate at the same time.
I don't know about everyone else, but it irritates me when people say nothing is happening on the show right now. Granted the answers might be coming slowly, THE SHOW IS ENDING!!! That is what's happening. I would like to take my time and enjoy the ride, cause there probably won't be a show like this again on tv for a while, if ever. And I totally agree with joostin_cdn.
I don't get it Tim. The thing that drew us into LOST was the mystery, we have seen "magic" for years now. Christian appearing in Season 1, after being dead! The island moving, the Smoke monster. You seem to be a hypocrite. You love LOST for the characters only? Brutal buddy. The show brought us in with drama and lore. Mostly lore. Now that we are getting answers and finding locations, ie. The temple which was mentioned back in S2. and you are upset? Do us real LOST fans a favour and stop pushing out this garbage flamebait that you love so much. Feels like high school reporting all over again.
Agreed, Sayid was awesome in this episode