Lost kills more cast

Despite J.J. Abrams' assurances to the contrary, it appears drunk driving is enough to get you axed, or in this case shot, off of the show Lost. The characters Ana Lucia, played by Michelle Rodriguez, and Libby, played by Cynthia Watros, were both gunned down in the dramatic conclusion to last night's episode.

The killing occurred after Ana Lucia, guarding the prisoner Henry Gale, loaned her gun to Michael, who said he had a murderous vendetta against Gale and wanted to kill him. Once he had the gun, however, Michael turned the gun on Ana Lucia, telling her, "I'm sorry," before blowing her away.

Watros' character Libby was unlucky enough to walk in and startle Michael, and she received several bullets in the gut for her transgression.

The shocking murders might not come as too much of a surprise to Losties. In December, the same two actresses were arrested by Hawaiian police for driving drunk. There were also rumors that Michelle Rodriguez was difficult to work with. The show had already killed off one actress, Maggie Grace, who was also rumored to be difficult.

Abrams told reporters that Ana Lucia would not be killed because of the incident. However, he didn't say she would never be killed.

"While we don't want to report on the fate of any of the characters in the show, I would say without question that any reports that anything that's going on with any of the actors as being problematic or certainly resulting in changing the storyline to sort of, you know, get rid of them is just erroneous and silliness," he said in December.

Additionally, cocreator Damon Lindelof told TVGuide.com, "Lost's story is the star, and no actor would ever be killed off for any other reason than supporting the story."

Allegations of difficult behavior on-set and run-ins with the law have dogged Rodriguez her entire career. In March of 2002, Rodriguez was arrested for assaulting her female roommate, although the charges were later dropped. In June of 2004, Rodriguez pleaded no contest to charges of hit and run, drunk driving, and driving with a suspended license. The actress was also pulled over several other times in Hawaii while filming Lost.

Watros is another story. She was recently added to the cast of a new fall sitcom pilot, My Ex-Life, starring Tom Cavanagh. Once this announcement was made, speculation began as to Libby's fate.

Libby, who had been embarking on an increasingly ludicrous love story with Hurley, fell to the floor after being shot. Since the island doesn't have any sort of ICU or proper medical facility to administer care to a person with gunshot wounds to the stomach, it is logical to assume she died, too. Since this is Lost, however, logic may not apply.

In the previews for next week's episode, one of the characters is heard to say, "She's dead," instead of "They're dead." This could indicate that only one of them died, and since Ana Lucia died on camera, that is pretty final. As the line used in the preview could have been taken out of context from anywhere in the show, this is splitting hairs.

Sound off: At the point Ana Lucia was shot, did shock give way to elation? Just a little? Do you think Libby is dead?

i was definitely surprised. ...but.. i couldn't stand her anyway. .. but poor libby.
"The laws there to punish her"...and it did. 60 days in jail (not house arrest, work release jail but real jail). If any of you expect ABC to stop production (or having her out on promos if they're not currently filming), you're nuts. I personally don't want my kids seeing a violent drunkard rewarded (or even tolerated). It's about money and advertising people. Bottom line is, Rodriguez became a liability rather than an asset and hence she's gone,
Just the stereotype Latina women need in America...power hungry, bitchy, and armed. Walt, Jack, Ecko and numerous others should have iced her weeks ago. If that's not enough, the actress that played her is a violent drunk who doesn't have the common sense not to drive when she's drinking. They'd have killed her off long ago if she was on The Shield, how ABC put up with it this long is astounding. Bad role models are a dime a dozen...c'est la vie.
Ana Lucia wasn't my favorite character, but I was nothing but shocked. I'm watching Lost right now (5/10/06) and Libby started coughing when Jack and the others came into the hatch. Michael seemed very surprised to see her alive. What I want to know is why he shot Ana Lucia in the first place. Did the Others brainwash him or something?
I love Ana Lucia. Her character is so tough and complicated but I enjoy figureing out ppl who are tough and comlicated. Michelle Rodriguez is an awesome actress. I never really saw a point for Libby, except to give Hurley a love interest. I mean Ana Lucia got shot before and she survived. This time she ony took one bullet soher chances of surviving are greater, Libby on the other hand is kinda scrawny and took 4 bullets.
I read one of those spoilers that supposedly got a script that said Eko lives... that sequence (in the "spoiler") was like a vision or something, as he was "saw" his brother up there
think Ana Lucia is dead because she was shot head on. However, Libby went to go get a blanket and a bottle of wine so there's no telling what else she scooped up and had under that blanket.
I also though it was absolutely stupid for them to bring Michael back and not keep him under surveillance! For Gawd's sake! He was wandering around the woods for how many episodes (including repeats) before they found his @$$ in the woods??? That means he could have been tainted and sent back as a plant. Like a Trojan Horse of sorts! They should have assigned someone to watch him! But my question is this," Did Michael shoot himself at the end of the episode or did he shoot something off to the left of him?" Also, is he mentally controlled or are they making him do this in order to get Walt back?
I would hope this isn't true because both these characters play important roles in LOST.
Personally, I think Hurly needs Libby for his character to grow and Ana Lucia is a strong woman that the other female characters could look up too.
yer i agree. If Ana-Lucia is dead, which she certainly seems to be (plus theres this site that said weeks ago that they already shot her funeral and she was 99.9% gonna die this season) then it doesnt matter what the folks at Lost say bout the reasons, but its gotta be cos of the DUI.

She seemed like a good character when she was introduced and I thought her story would add a lot to the show, but to just kill her off when she hasnt really contributed anything as far as we can tell is just plain weird.

I can't see that they would have planned from the beginning to kill her off now, cos it seems like there would be no point in having her at all.

Killing off a character cos of their personal life is unfair to viewers. Understanderbly Michelle Rodriguez was acting irresponsibly, but the law's there to punish her.

If the death was intrinsic to the story, then fair enough, but if the Lost bosses have killed her off cos of the DUI, then they've completely undermined the story and the entire show.
Ok, I know that they are saying that the death of Ana Lucia was planned but please then tell me, exactly what did her character or storyline add to the show? If you remove her from the island and erase her story, there really isn't anything significant that her character did, other than shoot Shannon and any of the characters could have done that. I really think that she was dumped from the show, before they completed her story arc, because even being with Jack's father in Australia was a red herring. Nothing really happened there either.
ye its cool
I was shocked when Ana-Lucia was shot my Michael. The show definitely seems to have a sense of Karmatic justice. She shot and killed someone, so she died by being shot. Ana is clearly dead, due to her being shot directly in the chest at close range. Libby may not be, because of where she was shot even though she was shot twice. It seemed to be in her lower extremities. Maybe she`ll be paralyzed or something. They haven`t even finished her backstory, unless they explain it as she dies, like with Boone. Micheal is really starting to annoy me. Maybe he`ll be the next one to die. Some failed attempt to save his son. What a great show!!
I am really upset that they killed off Ana. She brought drama to the show when she first started in this season. I am soo confused because why would Ana die if she only had one bullet and Libby would stay alive when she had like more than one bullet in her? That doesnt make any sense! But,its LOST so I guess thats the whole point of it! I will miss Michelle on the show because she rocked on LOST! I am really upset!!!! I HATE MICHAEL NOW!!!
I don't think that Libby actually died, because she happened to be carrying blankets at the time but you don't see if there's anything behind the blankets, like some of the cans Hurley had with him or something. I bet she'll be alive, and she'll tell everyone how Michael shot her, and his plan will get screwed over.
I think Michael was told to kill Ana lucia, because she killed the one of "the others" at the begining of second season. Killing Libby was just an accident. "The others" prolly told Michael to kill Ana Lucia, as a revange, in order to get Walt back. At the end of the ep he frees Henry Gale and shoots himself IN THE ARM, so that he can tell everyone that Henry Gale escaped and it was Henry Gale who killed Ana Lucia, Libby and shot Michael in the arm. Unfortunately for Michael, Libby will survive, because she had folded blankets which worked as booletproof vast.

Henry Gale said to Locke, that he was on his way to TAKE LOCKE WITH HIM when he was captured and that he is affraid to go back, because the beard guy will punish him (kill him) for the failure. I don't know if Henry will be so willing to go back to "the Others". Maybe he'll want to stay in the hatch and will try to tell everyone that it was Michael who shot. Obviously, no-one beside Locke will belive him. But, that's only my theory.

About further deaths. There is no way J.J. Abrams kills at least one character more. He's a decent guy and I bet he has the solution for the whole plot solving every single mystery on LOST.
WHYYYY, why did Michael kill Ana Lucia? Why why why?
Maybe he made a deal with the others, that if he kills Ana, he´s gonna get Walt back or something. What do you think?
Another horrible career move for Cynthia Watros. What else is new?
Wel its unlikly they find one b4 the other.. there in the same room rn't they?? and Libby was at the door and Ana Lucia was like basicly right infront of her.
Actually according to a magazine i read Jorge (Hurley )lost like 3stonne bcoz viewers complaind that he must of lost some weight
So, one shot in Ana Lucia's gut and she (pardon the pun) bites the bullet, but two shots--we don't really know where exactly--hit Libby, and her death in putative. So what if the commercial only says "She's dead," they could both be dead and they just found one before the other or something like that. Can't wait until next week to find out...
I hope Libby is not dead--I like her character and the play off Hurley. He is not one of the "pretty cast" and more interesting than some of the others. The writers started this romance and some mysteries and I think they need to finish them.
this show has completed its life,it has no more interesting stories to tell about its characters so i think they should kill everyone and end the show :)
I really don't think the whole drunk driving thing is the cause. My gosh people it's LOST! I'm pretty sure that the creators have everything worked out perfectly in their huge creatove heads and I highly highly doubt that they will just get rid of someone for no reason. I think they knoew what they're going to do with a character before they even cast them.
It was great that they finally killed Ana Lucia because I have been getting tired of her, but Libby was not that bad...
well, i think it's too much, it's was obvious since the begining of the episode that michael was with "them", we already know that the dirty clothes are a disguise, so, sadly saying, it was predicted...
i am addicted to lost, still, but by the last episode, its not for long. i predict that the third season will be a drag.
Has ayone even checked the episode guide? Cynthia Watros is still on for at least two more episodes! Of course they might be flashbacks. I really hope they explain why she went mental (perhaps a Locke connection?)

There IS NO BETTER SHOW!
It's curious...I haven't seen mentioned in all the Libby talk on the 'Net anything about the preview for next week. There's a clip in it of Hurley - looking VERY sad/despressed - telling Micheal something like "I am glad you lived man."

MY guess, therefore - Libby RIP.
I'm thinking that Libby is probably not dead yet. Only because her storyline is not finished. Hurley still needs to find out where he recognizes her from and he will never know her story if she is dead. Maybe she still does die, but probably not till the end of the next episode after a heart wrenching story about the two of them.

I look forward to what happens.. Lost is a great show, one of my all time favourites.
No, I was not happy when Ana-Lucia died. There are few enough female roles on the show without killing more. Besides, Sawyer and Ana deserved one another. They were both murderous jerks, though I was beginning to like Ana by the end of "Two for the Road." And Michael is now officialy a jerk. I never liked him, but after this episode, he has been added to my list of people I absolutely loathe. I hope he dies saving his son.
I dont think libby is dead coz ofcourse as she entered the hatch she would've heard the gun shots, so she protected herself by putting something under the pillow, but at least ana-lucia is dead!!
I'm sorry, but isn't the title of this story a friggin SPOILER!?
Nice job Colin Mahan, you idiot
I'm just really glad that this was kept under wraps so well. When Shannon died, the commercials told you that someone was going to die, and then it was a Shannon-centric episode... so it wasn't too much of a shocker.
And the most shocking part was that it came out of left field with hardly any foreshadowing (although it was guessable that something was wrong with Michael). It was just a great "Holy Crap!" moment.
Oh what a mess. Four bullets shot and three guys down. My theory about this is that Michael has been
persuaded by "the others" to free Henry Gale. And in exchange he will get his son back or at least they wont hurt Walt, something like this. This man is absolutely crazy about his son. It was annoying me from the beginning of the show. Well i can imagine how a father is able to love his son, but everything has its limits. And shooting friendly people is one of them...murdering at all is. I start thinking that Mr. insanity here would be able to kill the whole camp to get his son back. I'm not sure if this character is realistic anymore. Well my hate now focusses on him. In germany we say: "walking over dead bodies".
I think Michael just shot his shoulder so henry can escape and it will look like he shot all of them down. Just a little distraction.
What do you think?
I was really shocked when Ana-Lucia died, but then got really sad when Libby got shot. And right when she and Hurly were about to go on thier first date!

But I dont think that shes dead. She didnt get shot anywhere fatal, and she got shot through blankets.
Isn't is so that Libby is shot in a sort of box an could be alife ;). Just fall down because of the shock multiple bullets landed at her stumic, not in?
I was shocked, I wasn't expecting that to happen! But she probably will die, if not now, later. Can't really say whether Libby is dead or not. I actually really don't care for either of them.
When Michael shot Ana, it shocked me for a few seconds. Then I was super happy because I hated her so much. When he shot Libby, I was really mad because Hurley deserves to have a girlfriend.
Hey this is JJ Abrams. Anyone watch Alias? They can get shot 20 times and STILL come back to life. Serious.
I, Hope They're Both Dead!!!
i think Ana Lucia will not die until she told jak about his father
My brothers girlfriend said to me a few weeks ago that 2 were getting killed. I said to her it would be Libby and Ana Luia. It was so obvious that I wasnt shoked at all.
I was totally SHOCKED at the end of this episode! I did not see this coming!
For me it's realy hard to belive that Libby is dead since her character is in some serious development going on lately .... it's gonna be sad too for Hurley.... i realy don't wanna see him behaving like saeid.
i actually shouted with joy when ana lucia got shot, then was mildly startled when libby got shot. ana lucia just never clicked as a character, she seemed to just make me like her less and less as the series went on. if that's the effect the writers had in mind, kudos to them, but i was glad to see her go nonetheless.
I think its not fair just killing of people who are arrested. We al make mistakes. And i think that it was still a schock even if you are a big Lost fan like myself. I still think it was a big schock. I hope they both aren't dead. And i hope we will get an explanation about Michael.
I think Libby might still be alive, actually. Anything could be in those blankets that could stop the bullets. After all, before the producers can write her off, they'll have to explain the mental institution mystery!!
All the people who are wondering if they will kill off Mr. Eko. I do not believe that it is true, one obvious clue is in the episode summary of an upcoming episode called THREE MINUTES. in it, it states "Charlie struggles with Eko's decision to discontinue building the church." So it seems pretty clear that Mr. Eko will not become a victim, at least not in this season most likely.
My gut is telling me that Libby is alive, as illogical as it is. She "was" carrying" a pillow and blankets that may have muffled the shots, I don't know. Ana-Lucia's death was shocking and nescessary. I just feel that "Lost" should be known as a show that kills off its characters at the drop of a hat. It works for "24" because the show is about the transitiona; people that are in Jack's life. With "Lost," I feel that if at least one or two people die per season, we're going to expect it and start speculating who it will be and then sooner or later, it's not much of a surprise. Given the recent deaths I say season 3 goes without a sole perished... if only to make a death in season four THAT much more shocking.
Libby's still alive, at least one press release source made it clear Mr Eko seeks Locke's aid in finding the "?" on the map in an effort to help heal someone in the hatch. Whether she makes it past that is unknown, but she will be in the finale during Desmond's flashbacks. Sadly concerning Ana-Lucia, we'll never know who it was that called her at the airport bar when she had a drink with Jack. Unless, ya know, they already shot that bit and are saving it for something.
Didn't Michael shoot himself too? Alhtough it seems strange to commit suicide by shooting into your heart. He was probably brainwashed by "the others" so they could free that Henry Gale guy.

So they killed 3 characters in one scene....
They had a pretty big cast list anyway, I mean they just had a "Rose & Bernard" episode. Plus Eko, Kate , Locke, Jack, Sayid, Claire, Hurley, Sawyer, Sun, Jin, Charlie... It was getting extremely complex. It was just necessary to straighten up the whole cast.
Load More Comments