Lost: Setting Up the Endgame

We're getting close to what Lost's creators have been salivating over for the last several years: a mind-melting finale, the whole reason the damn show was created in the first place. Is Lost about love? Is it about good versus evil? Is it about faith versus science? Is it about free will versus destiny?

We'll find all that out later, but for now, it's time to place the pieces on the game board for the big series-ender that will air one calendar month and two days from today. This is going to happen quickly, because the writers have two realities to worry about and they're running out of time.

Perhaps that's why things are feeling a tad rushed as the finish line comes into sight. This is no-nonsense Lost; characters have places to be and things to do! The series finale is coming up fast, and if they don't hit their marks, things won't work. Which is exactly what "The Last Recruit" was all about. It was pure setup with little else, but that's okay.

The show has lost a bit of emotional weight with the producers spending less time on each character's actions, and sometimes we just have to take their states of mind at surface value even if they seem out-of-place. But I'm okay with all of this... as long as it makes for a great finale. Does anyone else feel this way? Like you're sitting tight, watching Lost as it winds down for good, and just... waiting? More on that later.

On the island, allegiances are being tested, broken, and realigned in typical Lost fashion. Last night, Sawyer told everyone about his submarine plan; only those who aren't completely insane (sorry, zombie-Sayid and cuckoo-Claire) are invited. Jack decided he didn't want to leave the island and jumped off the boat, leaving everyone else behind. Widmore's people blew up the beach with Locke-seeking mortar fire, and Jin and Sun finally got back together.

Off the island, massive coincidences/destiny (arrests! emergency room visits! dead people's wills!) finally started bringing the alterna-versions of our castaways together. Sun and Locke had their near-death experiences, and at least Sun seemed to show some recognition of "the other side," by screaming "It's him!" when John Locke's gurney conveniently pulled up directly alongside her own hospital chariot. We'll forgive John for not giving us any signs as he got pretty wrecked by Desmond's car. Oh, and Ilana is a lawyer.

Overall, "The Last Recruit" was one of those non-special offerings that we simply dismiss as a necessary "setup episode" because we're not quite sure what else to call it. But like I said, that's okay.

Next: Is anyone still watching this show? >>

I don't know about you, but more than one of my Lost-watching friends has given up on the show at some point this season. And it appears that this isn't unusual. According to TV By The Numbers, last night's Lost checked in with a 3.6 rating, the show's lowest thus far for an original episode. That's not a great sign. Overall viewing numbers were somewhere around 9.3 million, which is on the lower end of what Lost has been posting this season.

Normally I'd look at ratings strictly for renewal and cancellation purposes, but Lost is obviously immune because its fate is sealed. That said, do these numbers indicate that Lost has been losing its faithful? It would seem so.

Consider this guy's opinion, from the Miami Herald: "For the past three months, I've been wondering if I was the only one who believed that ABC's Lost has degenerated into incomprehensible gibberish as it crawls toward the end of its sixth and final season." Some of you may get on me for not calling every single episode the best thing ever, but at least I ain't this dude.

Even Entertainment Weekly's verbose Doc Jensen, who would have nothing but good things to say about Lost even if it had just killed his mother, said last night's episode "really bugged [him]."

So is Lost's sixth season making more people frustrated than not? Are we even far enough into Season 6 that we can already look back and cast judgment? I've certainly had my issues with this season so far, and if the show ended tomorrow, I'd rank it somewhere near the bottom. I'm reserving final judgment until the finale, but the ending is going to have to be incredible for me to rank this season in the top three.

How is Season 6 faring on your radar so far?

A few notes on last night's episode:

... Is it just me, or did the Sun-Jin reunion not have the emotional impact it should have? It's great that they're back together, but it wasn't accompanied by the usual tearjerking accoutrements.

... What's up with the well Desmond got thrown into? Last week it was really deep, this week it was as deep as a basketball rim is high. Is the production of the show suffering as a result of rushing things?

... I'm ready for Zoe and all the Widmore folks to die. There isn't an ounce of personality among any of them. The writers had a real chance to give us a new person to love to hate; instead they gave us Zoe, who we just hate. I shall celebrate when she gets offed.

... I liked the way this episode bounced around between characters and their side-flashes. Lost has done this before, but this one felt especially smooth.

... More clunky answers to big questions (but not as bad as last week's explanation of the whispers), this time about Smocke appearing as Christian on the island. It just feels like they're doing these parts for our benefit, when they really shouldn't be.

User Contribution News

First, thanks to everyone who liked last week's write-up. Much appreciated. Sorry this week's wasn't as entertaining, I'll bounce back next week (feeling ill today).

There were a few comments from last week's story about falling off the wagon on Lost. Not in that drinky drinky sort of way, but more that people are sort of becoming disenchanted with it. (I know I'm pulling some of the more negative comments from last week's piece, but I'm just trying to raise a question. So if anyone wants to say I'm doing this to hate on the show, don't bother.)

Novembernicole says: "I have been a die-hard fan of Lost, and I still am, but I think I am just ready for the damn finale to get here, so I can quit wondering about all of this!"

eppix says: "...After being a big fan since season 1 was aired, I have to say that Im just seeing it to finish the pain."

Zeyado says: "i think we all agree that this will NOT be the best season of Lost, even with five episodes left which alot can happen in, but lets face it, what's done is done, this season had alot of flaws."

belia013 says: "just can't wait till it's over... never gonna rewatch it that is for sure."

I know exactly what Novembernicole and eppix are saying; I too feel like I'm finishing this season just to get to the finale. But I also know that as soon as Lost ends, I'm going to miss the stuffing out of it. Is anyone else feeling like this? We're still interested... but just not as interested as we used to be?

I asked what everyone thought of last week's episode and where they would rank it. As I expected, the answers were all over the place: Some thought it was the best episode ever, and others didn't care for it. The majority seemed to take a stance that was similar to mine: It was good, but there were some really odd moments that didn't make it great.

I also made the point that so much happened in that episode that could have been spread out to other episodes a bit more. Case in point, last night's episode lacked a lot of WOW moments. Just sayin'. Spread the love, Lost writers.

Hungry_Homer111: I may have you write these things if I ever need a week off! You are a machine!

The Lost Season 6 Episode Power Rankings

(I'll be keeping tabs on each episode, ranking them in terms of quality each week, right here. Your opinions will differ from mine.)

"The Last Recruit": I really dug the format of the episode—bouncing between characters on and off the island really quickened the pace. But it was little more than a setup episode; vital to the progress of the show, but not incredible in and of itself. "The Last Recruit" was one of those "good but not great" segments, so I'm plopping it down right after "The Lighthouse."

1. "The Substitute" Ep. 4
2. "Ab Aeterno" Ep. 9
3. "Happily Ever After" Ep. 11
4. "Everybody Loves Hugo" Ep. 12
5. "Recon" Ep. 8
6. "LA X (2)" Ep. 2
7. "The Lighthouse" Ep. 5
8. "The Last Recruit" Ep. 13
9. "Sundown" Ep. 6
10. "LA X (1)" Ep. 1
11. "Dr. Linus Ep. 7
12. "The Package" Ep. 10
13. "What Kate Does" Ep. 3

Your Homework:

Where do you think Season 6 currently ranks among all of Lost's seasons? And where do you think it will end up once we get to the finale?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

As for the bit about the Christian/Smoke Monster reveal, I don't consider that too much of a revelation given all the clues they gave earlier this season AND last season. I find the Jack and Smokey scene more significant because now JACK knows that Non-Locke has been manipulating him along with who-knows-how-many other people. But speaking of the show doing things for the viewer's benefit, I have been aware of a few edits from this season that seemed needlessly heavy-handed and atypical of Lost's characteristically understated reveals. For example, in "The Substitute" when Sawyer was in the cave talking with Smokey, there were a few flashes to scenes from the 5th Season finale that felt completely superfluous.
I feel the same way about the well as you, also, though that could be explained away by lighting and time of day. It looked darker and therefore deeper when Smokey threw Desmond down it than when it was later shown. However, overall, I think that Lost's production value has been noticeably reduced for this season compared to the prior ones, and maybe the well issue stems from that, rather than things getting rushed.
Yeah, the Sun-Jin reunion was slightly tepid and rushed, though this seems to be part of a larger pattern of the 6th season which generally seems to have lacked the emotional oomph of earlier seasons. Certain characters and plot lines are rushed through just because there's not enough time and because the writers spent too much time on other uninteresting, unenlightening story lines, like "What Kate Does".
OK....... Breaaaaathe....... NO IT'S NOT OK???? WHAT DID YOU? HAVE A BAD DAY OR SOMETHING??????? I mean I know it's just your opinion, but SERIOUSLY???
I haven't watched in ages and I feel a little sad about it. But the show went astray from my taste and I stopped enjoying it. I might watch the final episode though, for old times sake!
I don\'t seriously think I have never read this amount of shiiit in so few words. This gotta be some kinda of record or something.
Since the end is nearing, everybody seems to have an opinion about what's best for Lost. Almost everybody keeps forgetting, though, that for 5 season we trusted the writers and praised their decisions. Would they really screw everything up in the last moment? I don't think so...
Lost has been great this season and I don't understand all the hate from this site. It kinda went a bit more sci-fi the past 2 seasons and I think that is just fine because it really is the only way to wrap it all up. While only die-hard fans know what's going on, I expect it to be that way. You get more payout and enjoyment from paying attention rather than just lame stand-alone episodes. I bet your also the same type of person who complained that season 6 wasn't giving you all the answers at the beginning of the season, and now that we are getting them you complain we are getting them to quickly or it doesn't live up to the impossible hype you set up in your head. Try being a bit more objective timmy.
I kinda agree. This was a setup episode. Just have to sit tight till the show is over. Although if Jack died and turned into a Flocke-Zombie I'm gonna be super PO'd.
I'm saving judgement until the finale, but i will say it never made sense to me after losing almost half of season 4 to the writers strike..that they would shorten season 5 and 6. You figure they lost enough story so why put yourself in a position to have to rush the story
Hi! Just a few comments: first, I am absolutely enjoying this season, but I have an admission: I stopped watching Lost after season one. I just lost interest. Then, last year, I caught the finale of season 5 and I found it so intriguing that I decided to watch the last season. So, I've been thoroughly enjoying it and I have not had to deal with the years-long buildup that many people have. I think that may account for why some people are now feeling frustrated. What Lost has done very well is build up questions and suspense but, like all such situations, the answers can never be as good or as satisfying as the questions. The producers have said that they will not answer everything at the end, and I think that is a good decision. Re: the depth of the well (in response to a comment in the article) - actually, I completely disagree. The conversation between Locke and Desmond last week made it sound like the well was deep, but when Locke threw in the torch, the sound of the torch hitting the bottom of the well was only moments later. I remember this distinctly because it made an impression on me, and I remember thinking "that well isn't deep at all". So, the fact that the well is not deep - only about 20-30 feet, from the looks of it - is not surprising. Moreover, Locke must have known this - clearly, he did not intend to kill Desmond when he pushed him in, just imprison him. If he had really thought the well was hundreds or thousands of feet deep, then his action of sending Sayid to kill Desmond makes no sense. He would have assumed that Desmond was already dead. Re: the overall mystery of the island: as I've argued elsewhere, I don't think that the Man In Black is actually evil incarnate. I think he is evil, but only in the sense of being a man who is trying to escape from what he sees as his prison and is willing to do anything to be free. Everything else in the storyline, to me, points to the MIB as being Jacob's ally/counterpart in protecting the island. However, somewhere along the way, the MIB has stopped believing in the purpose of the island and simply wants to get away. Jacob still believes. That is the source of their disagreement. If the MIB leaves the island, the forces that are bottled up by the island will be unleashed and that is why his continued presence on the island is required. That's my theory, anyway!
I liked the episide, the ending wasn't very good though.
I liked the episode, not the best of the season but at least we could see where the losties are in the sideways (hospital or police station) and that the un-Locke seems to be more interested in Jack than in oher person. The season is good in my opinion although there are many things to close and only three pisodes left until the finale. And I agree, the writers seem to be telling us some things just because we want to know. I'm OK with the explanation about the whispers but I'm sure the MIB couldn't be Christian.
About the well, it was night out so it was hard to see and also, if it was too deep Des should be dead. He was pushed in head first for goodness sake! I see a lot of hate on Tim and TV.com this week for not being uber-positive. While I have not regularly agreed with him, I appreciate his honest reviews, because although he may be quick to judge sometimes this season is pretty mediocre as Lost seasons go (although far superior to your average procedural show). I think I'll rank it either 4th or 5th with 2 and possibly 3 below it. Season 1 and 4 are the top two and I don't see this season topping them even with the finale, but we'll see.
Tim. Why do you post a link to the Miami Herald writer who doesn't like the show but not to the hundreds of writers and blogs which do? Why do you mention Doc Jensen's issues with last night's episode but do not say that he loved the previous, and the previous and just about every episode this season? (If your point is that this is a weak season, it doesn't make sense to use Doc Jensens' criticism about just one episode) Or the fact that Lost was up against the much publicized Madonna Glee episode for its INsignificant drop in ratings (how about DVR playback and I-tunes sales). Its fine if you don't like the show and can't wait to see it fail but at least be objective when listing reasons why you think its loosing popularity. Not that popularity equals quality.
ah, heartz, i apologize for my misread--I read the sentence that said "last night's lost checked in with a 3.6 rating" and skimmed/skipped the rest." my apologies. that said, I still think it's a bit of a narrow-minded read to say that he's a "hater." As a critic, he's provided some valid reasoning behind his problems he sees with these episodes, and while I disagree with some of his reviews (particularly "Dr. Linus") I think his read on this season is accurate.
Ascafen , about Sun and Jin talking english ..i guess they needed at some point to show us that Sun will get her english conversatin skills back and they needed a big emotional moment for the charcter to gain this skill so it will be the reunited with her husband and it was good but too quickly and about lapidus comment it was really stupid ! "im with you in this point" .
I agree
THIS SEASON IS WEAK
It hasn't finished yet and that's why i can't give a honest final opinion on the conclusion of LOST
This probably one of the biggest tv shows of the decade with a large pool of critics and fans to appease and satisfy
Complaints and negative responses are unavoidable no matter how the season is ended
i'm a fan and regardless of the outcome LOSt is an A_list tv show and one of the greatest achievements of recent television
Great writing and complex plots along with deep characters
I love it
Just some more things I'd like to add to my previous comments:

* Why the hell did Jin and Sun speak English when they reunited!? Did Jin want to show Sun how improved his English skills were after 3 years living with the Dharma folks? Did Sun want Lapidus to know she could speak English again so he could utter the most ridiculous, emetic line in the whole history of TV Shows!? * For the second time in 6 seasons, I'm a Jack supporter. The other time was when he was beardy and alcoholic and junkie off the island. It seems that mirror really got to him, after all. Jacob knows what he's doing.

* Please bring Mark Pellegrino into the show more often.
buildam2005 , he just points to the problems only but when i see other sites reviews like ign , ew , tvovermind that metacritic consider there scores they write a well-build review with the goods and bads. and about the rating it is not unusual u said it got a 3.6 rating -" it is a demograph rating" it is not the number of the viewers! , the number of viewers were 9.3 millions as you pointed as "normal" so it is normal but the article deceives people to think that it was very low just like what happened to you!
heartz, I'm not sure why you're being so critical here. Tim has said many times that he likes the show, quite a bit. It's his job to objectively note problems with an episode or season when he sees them. And if you reread his article, it said that this week's episode only had a 3.6 rating, whereas 9.3 is the USUAL. So this episode was REALLY low compared to its usual ratings. He wasn't saying that was a problem with the episode itself (anyone who claims that an episode is bad simply because it has bad ratings is an idiot), but was pointing out that a lot of people didn't watch it. That's all. I think it's less fair--and less genuine caring for a show--to think that it never has one single problem (NO show has NEVER had any flaws--it's just impossible) than to be objectively fair when it does something not great. I enjoy Lost, I think it's a great show, but it's certainly had its weaknesses and problems. Does that mean I hate the show? No, I'm just willing to admit and note when it isn't as perfect as it could be.
anyone can see that this is by far ‘‘in my opinion is the best’‘ a great season from Ab Aeterno , Happily ever after to even the package ‘‘still there is must be a set-up episodes to move the plot’‘ and 100% it will get at least 2 emmys this year!

i just like to share my thoughts about this article to you guys because it is really pissed me off and sorry for my bad english cause it is my second language.
2)the most cheap and stupid point in this article that made it clearly for me that you are a hater when you point it out to number of the viewers! really funny , are you kidding me! 9.3 millions in its sixth season without counting the dvr viewers ‘‘that we are all know that lost have most of them’‘ and without counting how many will buy the boxsets - anyway still 9.3 is great number for final season and none can change the idea that Lost is one of the most popular shows.

3)there is an article about overrated shows and Lost is number one ,,, loool not a surprise for this site!im not defending the show or fighting this site but when you write an article and alot of people reading it you must know your limit and how to criticize not just because you hate something you blow it and put at the end of the review some little good things just to remove doubts about your hate agenda.
omg! week after week i saw the reviews that this site said about lost and i never write a comment but this article really makes me angry because one of the best shows and best season is being criticized by a real hater!

these are facts for all the guys that reading this comment to see that this writer just hate this show :

1)IGN , EW and alot of other sites that ‘‘metacritic’‘ considers their scores unlike tv.com ‘‘they don't consider their reviews i don't know why !’‘ gave season 6 of lost a great score and may get the best score of any lost season , don\'t just look at one episode score look at all scores and you will know if it is a great one or not.
I don't know about you, but Desmond and Richard episodes in this season were the best episodes in the whole series for me.
I agree what you have to say about this episode for the most part. Alot of it felt like it was just setting up for the finale. But there were still a couple of nice touches in there that suited the characters. I really liked Jack, Claire, Sayid and Sawyer in this episode and feel like they're being portrayed in a way that perfect for their situations. The Sun and Jin reunion was lacking for sure but still very sweet. And despite the fact that this show has gone downhill a bit and isn't as good as it used to be it is still among the best shows on television, in my opinion.
I hope the finale will be massive!!
I just remembered one key element of the off-island Christian scene that I mentioned, which I'm surprised I forgot about. Right before seeing Christian, a smoke detector goes off. A hint at what the revealed in this episode? If so, there goes the possible write-off of that scene being a hallucination (a theory that I wasn't buying into anyway, as it would just be a cheap way to write off such an obvious inconsistancy). So, what I'm wondering now is, if they knew this answer of the identity of Christian, and were telling the truth about knowing the true nature of the smoke monster all along, then what's the possible implication of him appearing off the island like that? My first thought, before I remembered the smoke detector going off, was that it was just a huge plothole that the writers didn't really plan on. There's still a chance for this, and if so, then I'd really hate it. However, there could be more to it than what we're seeing. Some kind of "loophole" (wink, wink :P) to allow him to at least appear off-island without going off the island? I don't know. All I know is that I do hope they address this in some way, because if they don't, I'd have to say this was probably my least favorite answer of the series so far, not so much because it doesn't fit with the actions Christian took as a "ghost," because there were quite a few times where it did seem their goals were the same, but simply for the fact that it leaves such a big hole in the story.
rankings

1st = season 6

2nd = season 5

3rd = season 1

4th = season 2

5th = season 3

6th = season 4
Yes, the episodes are starting to feel rushed. Couldn't they have made this season longer? Sun and Jin reunion was OK, but yes, rushed! Was MIB using Christian Shephard appearance? Yes. If there were more episodes we wouldn't have those short answers to important questions. I'm definitely excited as the chess pieces finally seem in place for the last battle and even if this season isn't the best, at least we had some brilliant episodes like Ab Aeterno, The Substitute and Dr. Linus.
Any chance that lawyer-Ilana will be blown up by a bag of unstable TNT as well? I never cared for her character very much and I giggled like a schoolgirl when I saw her fate. Bringing her back in the alter-now makes me kind of hopeful that she may meet another messy end.....for the symmetry.
I agree with a lot of what II_Seraphim_II is saying except his first comment. He's not wrong, in a way. TV shows are made to hit as many viewers as possible to stay alive, but I think that's what makes Lost so amazing to it's die hard fans. I know I personally watch the show BECAUSE it doesn't look down upon me, or try to show me what I already know because it happened so many seasons ago. We're treated like we actually pay attention and remember the little things like the skeletons in the cave. While a show does need to reach as many as possible, I also think your thinking is flawed because shows that try to reach as many viewers as possible usually end up getting canceled. I'm not a big reader because I enjoy things like Lost. Without it's deep mythology and "out there" scenarios, that most are turned off by, I wouldn't have a very big selection of amazing stories.

As for the homework: I think this is definitely the weakest season, but only because it's the final one and the writers were sort of forced to abandon their entire writing structure in order to tie up all the loose ends. I'm sure they could have done certain things different (like making the Sun/Jin scene a little more emotional), but for the most part it's going along just how I expected it to. I think what would have helped is if ever season of Lost had it's original set up of 24 episodes. They could have spaced out so many storylines if that were the case.
I totally didn't think about this while I watched the episode, but when Locke says "I WAS gonna marry her" in the ambulance, he isn't referring to the fact that he is dying, but is instead speaking from his Island consciousness since he just almost died and saw his island life (like Desmond, Charlie, etc.).
Lost is my favorite show.
I mistyped that slightly--South Park certainly has better themes in terms of social commentary, but I didn't mean to include them in the belief that their characters are richer and more dimensional; Lost wins there. But it still loses hands down to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. If you've watched those shows at all you'll know that and have to admit it. Those characters have so much depth they make Lost's look like caricatures. Unless, of course, you haven't seen them and are simply judging by a single episode or worse their titles and concepts.
Plain and simple, this episode was Dull Dull Dull
Lost is still one of TV\'s greatest shows and will always be because it is so different than everything else and because there are so many layers of understanding. Anyone who stops watching it simply does not have the mind capacity to understand. This weeks episode was one of the seasons best, without a doubt. It kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time. LOST is a very complicated and complex drama that is not meant for people who will just continue to **** and complain. Seriously, just stop watching if you are one of these fans because you really just do not deserve it.
I'm reading and discovering that there are people that are not liking the 6th season and I'm so surprised.
I'm loving season 6. And, apart from yesterday's that was the weaker one, I love each episode.
I always end wanting more, and that is what good tv is about... isn't it?
hahaha ok nevermind...its definitely hopeless. I was understanding that somethings need to be answered, although i disagree with the food drops being important at all and the pregnant women dying will most likely be answered in a round-a-bout way when we find out what exactly the island. THEN I keep reading and can't believe what I'm seeing...Did you really say that Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and SOUTH PARK have better themes and richer characters? hahahahahahahaha that is probably one of the MOST rediculous things ive ever read and I love South Park, its a smart show but themes and richer characters...too funny! Anyone who seriously believes that is not even worth arguing about Lost with which is by far one of the most thematical and character based shows ever created.
I think unanswered mysteries are fine, but I also love David Lynch movies which I know are not for everyone. Twin Peaks, I think was a great show and not every mystery was answered. Obviously this is completely subjective.
When I say mysteries for the sake of mysteries, I mean involving bizarre things, regardless of how insignificant to the "big" plot, are included but never explained--those are bad things to include. If, for example, they never explain the food drops, does that shatter the storyline? No. But leaving elements like that unanswered is a loose thread, and too many loose threads is problematic, at least to me, from a storytelling perspective. It doesn't seem like we've come even close to a reason that pregnant women kept dying on the island, and I can't see how someone could argue that's not an important plot point.

It just feels to me--and again, this wholly opinion and you're free to disagree--that the various plots, with Dharma, the Others, Jacob/Smokey, are so disjointed and haven't really been tied together well. Perhaps part of the reason I feel that way is because I don't really rewatch Lost because there aren't a ton of episodes that I feel compelled to re-view. When I consider the other shows I love--Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, South Park--there are so many episodes and seasons from those shows I can watch over and over again to consider their themes and rich characters. In the first few years I felt that way about Lost, but the last few (particularly 5 and 6) just haven't had that kind of interesting philosophy or depth of characters. Just my opinion; people are free to disagree, I just get annoyed when people just say I'm unintelligent when I say something negative about a show. If I really hated the show I wouldn't even talk about it.
I really really hope Des didn't get shot and I really really want to know what happened with Sayid it's killing me
@sh4dy15, thank you. These are things that needed to be told. Sadly, some will never understand it.
and buildam...these fans that I'm talking about are the exact reason why these answers seem rushed. It basically is a "checklist" because theyre trying to appease an audience that is focusing on not just MAIN mysteries but all of them. And to say the show has mysteries simply to be mysterious....seriousely? Have we been watching the same show for the past 6 years? Of course there is!! It's Lost! Thats how its always been and I'd be dissapointed if it changed now. I guess none of this matter because honestly this is one of the only sites i've seen this many complaints haha
Seraphim,

First of all I'm not talking about the people like you who just feel the show is rushed. That I can understand. I'm talking about all the people b****ing and moaning about wanting answers to every single question and wanting hundreds of answers every episode. That not what Lost is, ever was, or ever will be (until maybe the last hr of the finale) Second of all, it is definitely not the writers fault for writing over people's heads! Thats what makes this show so special and different, all the research, thought, philosophy, theorizing, message boards (like thefuselage), the lost experience online game, and knowledge of actual events in history (mythological or truthful). All of these things have been a part of the show forever and have always risen above some people's heads. You may just not be one of those people but MOST, not all, but most who have given up are just small minded and looking for the same old bs thats been on tv.
I agree with a lot of what you've said, Seraphim. This season is all about getting through the plot and attempting to answer mysteries. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear these answers, but some of the ones we've gotten (such as the whispers and Christian as Smokey) have been horribly integrated--their content is fine, but the way they've been done has seemed like, as Tim put it, interviews to simply check off events.

Now, I do believe TV can and should be rather intelligent, much in the way you explain it. There's a bit difference between complexity and complication, and LOST has found itself on both sides of that coin. The early seasons were complex; characters did and said things that gave insights into who they are and how they are changing, and that allows viewers to study those things and come to conclusions about these characters, and how the plot and characters are the writers' way of saying something about the world--we call that theme, right? However, the plot at this point has become overly complicated--characters say things in such a way that is meant simply to keep things mysterious, which is bad writing. When there are inconsistencies (which there are) and mysteries that appear to exist simply to be mysterious (which there also are), that makes things complicated, not complex. The plot should always service the characters, not the other way around--at least in my humblest opinion.

It's always funny to me that I hear people say "this show is too intelligent for most people" but when I ask them to explain clearly how it's too intelligent, they usually can't, except in vagueness and generalities about free will and destiny.
Replying @ sh4dy15 - This is a common excuse fans use for shows that have LOST their way, claiming that a show is "too intelligent" for the average viewer. First of all, let's assume that the show in question is too intelligent for the average viewer. That's called bad writing. TV shows are made so as many people will watch them, thus increasing the companies revenue. If the show is "too intelligent" for the viewer, then it's not the viewer's fault, it's the writers. They should cater to the viewer, not the other way around.

With that said, the show is definitely not too "smart" and "going over" our heads. The truth of the matter is that the show is being rushed along. LOST's previous episodes were much slower paced and spent a lot of time crafting their characters to make them believable and to ensure that we can relate to them. This season throws out that philosophy. This season is more about plot development than character development. This leads me to believe that they made a miscalculation when the decided to make this the final season. Perhaps this season should have been spread out over 2 seasons that way we don't have these episodes that feel like they were just put there to advance the story along really quick and setup the next confrontation.

Sure, that's basically what episodes are supposed to do, to further the story, but when done correctly, it feels natural, as if that's the natural progression of events. In this case, it feels forced, almost as if you can see the director in the background pulling strings to move things along. People are making decisions and we aren't getting explanations as to why. We just sort of have to accept it. In the previous seasons, when a character made a decision, they would have an entire flashback sequence that explains why the character would make such a choice.

Now don't get me wrong, LOST isn't the worst show on TV or anything, but I think it's quite clear that this season is rushed, and it's quality as suffered as a result.
All thats happening is the show is too smart or over the heads of the average viewer. This is a genius show that goes so deep that the way our society is, people just quit on it and thats fine...at this point we (the true fans) dont need them haha Its the last season and it has to end, maybe its a little rushed but I think theyre doing a great job on the last season of a show that no matter how they end it or what questions they answer people whill always whine and complain. All you whiners....cry me a river stop complaining and turn the show off it doesnt need you anymore..the island is done with you.
I can see where you're coming from with this episode, but I actually really enjoyed it. For an episode that moves this fast, and as you said, moving back and forth between the characters (which gives some of the characters much smaller roles than they could have had), I think it managed to have enough depth within the episode to make it really stand out to me. Let's start with Sayid. Despite having a very strong centric episode in "Sundown," I haven't really cared for his character this season. And that's coming from somebody who, before this season, ranked Sayid in my top 5 characters list. A big reason for my drop in interest is his mindlessness, and him becoming little more than drone doing whatever the smoke monster told him to do. Granted, there were a few interesting moments, like him sitting by while Claire attacked Kate, and him telling the smoke monster about him not being able to feel anything, but those little bits didn't really make up for what they were doing with his character, and were more like straws that I could try to grasp onto while waiting for something more interesting to happen with his character. In this episode, I think we've finally reached the point where I can stop grasping at straws and start to be more interested in him again. Granted, he only had a few noteworthy scenes, and I'd by lying if I said they were among the best moments for his character ever, but they did a great job of shifting gears on his story. His scene with Desmond was a very good one, poking holes in his reasoning behind everything he's done this season. Desmond asked just the right question: If he had a chance to be with Nadia again, what would he tell her? And how would she react? Would it be as great as Sayid had hoped it would be? I also loved how his parallel timeline story reflected this idea with the reaction that Nadia had when Sayid hinted at what he had done to Keamy and his men. And I thought that the scene between Sayid and the smoke monster was a great change for Sayid character, who is now starting to break free of the hold the smoke monster had over him thanks to Desmond, and actually lied to the smoke monster about killing Desmond (come on, we all should know he isn't dead, especially since he was "killed" off screen). There were several other great character moments throughout the episode. I loved the scene between Claire and Kate by the boat. Not only was it the conversation I was hoping to see ever since Kate talked to Claire's mother off the island (telling her she'd take her back to Aaron, and that Claire should have been the one to raise him), I loved how somebody was willing to try to help Claire and try to bring the old Claire back out. Between both Sayid and Claire in this episode, it does appear as if the sickness isn't completely irreversable as we had been led to believe. I also loved the Jack/Claire dynamic within this episode, and how in both timelines, both Jack and Claire came together for the first time knowing they were related, but just as they are ready to come together as a family, something causes Jack to "abandon" her, with Sawyer forcing Jack off the boat in the island timeline, and Jack having to go in to operate on Locke. I'm really hoping to see more of this in the future, having them come together again and address him abandoning her (both in this episode, and when he left the island), and maybe then they can have that family moment that they only had for a brief moment in this episode. Then there was the Sun/Jin reunion. I agree that it didn't have as much emotional impact as it could have had, but I still think it was a great moment between the two. One thing I couldn't help noticing was that this scene was a reflection of something we've seen in the past 2 episodes. In "Happily Ever After" and "Everybody Loves Hugo," the writers have had moments were Desmond and Penny, and then Hurley and Libby were brought together, and both of the men started to remember who they were in the other life due to a touch or kiss. In this episode, after being seperated for so long, Sun and Jin finally come together, and as soon as that happens, Sun suddenly starts to speak English. As I said back when it happened, I think that her losing her ability to speak English was actually a connection to her other life. What I find interesting is that, if I'm right, and her being able to speak English again was due to her finding her constant again, one major difference between finding the constant in the other reality and finding the constant in the island reality is that the island reality's constant causes a seperation between the two timelines (gaining the ability to speak English unlike the other Sun) as opposed to drawing them closer (remembering who they were on the other side). Anyway, another part of the story that I want to mention is Jack's role in the on-island story. Throughout the season, Jack has obviously been going through quite a few changes. He's finally been willing to accept the island's powers (as opposed to "believing" in them just to cover up a hole hin his life and trying to fix himself by becoming the exact opposite of who he was before, like he did in season 5), and finally being able to let go of his need to fix things in "Everybody Loves Hugo," and following somebody else's lead. For the most part, I have actually been liking his character a lot more this season than I have for most of the series due to the changes he has made. He's still struggling to find himself, but at least he's finally been trying to fix himself. In this episode, however, the two biggest changes that he's made this season pretty much came into conflict with each other on the boat. On one hand, he could follow Sawyer and see where it takes him, going against his beliefs in the island, or he could go against what he said in the previous episode, follow his own gut, and try to help the island. In any other circumstances, if a character had gone against such a huge turning point in their development the very episode after they went through that development, I would have been angry. But I do think they handled it fairly well, given the conflict of interest. Of course, his decision to go back to his old habit of trying to fix things ended up being the wrong one, since he became infected, and because of Widmore's betrayal of Sawyer, which would have allowed him to still be allowed to be involved with the island. I'm not too sure how happy I am about Jack becoming infected. I mean, look at what it did to Sayid. It took one of my top 5 characters and turned him into a mindless drone that I didn't really care about until this episode. I'm hoping this doesn't negate all his character development over the season, since this is the first time I cared about his character in a long time. Of course, the main focus of this episode was the movement of the main plot elements, progressing it to a place where it needed to be for the last few episodes. I really loved the way the writers set everything up in this episode. The Widmore/smoke monster conflict was done well, with Widmore's threat, the trek through the jungle towards Widmore's camp, and Widmore sending the missiles (or whatever those were) to try to stop him, or at least lower their numbers a bit. And I loved the way Sawyer's plan carried out throughout the episode, with all the pieces falling into place, and Widmore betraying Sawyer. I think that, for an episode which was pretty much about a trek through the jungle and a boat ride, the writers did a great job of making it all see important, and raising the intensity. I also really liked the parallel timeline story. While not necessarily the greatest parallel timeling story of the season, I'd have to say it is the best in terms of the connections between the characters. Extreme coincidences aside, I thought that it was great how the writers played things out in this episode, drawing all of the stories much closer together. Where as in previous episodes, there were connections between the characters, this one made everything come together in a much more solid way, making it feel that much closer to being complete. Also, I have to note that, while I wasn't a fan of the parallel timeline Desmond's scenes in "Everybody Loves Hugo," I thought his scenes here were much better, and felt more natural (or, about as natural as somebody who knows about the island timeline and is trying to bring everything together can be). It made me much more hopeful about his role in the upcoming episodes. One thing I have to point out which I didn't care for was the Christian reveal. I didn't actually think it was bad in terms of the presentation (certainly better than the whispers reveal). Instead, I thought the answer itself was bad. It just doesn't make sense. OK, for one, what about Claire's line about her father and her friend being the ones who told her about the Others having Aaron? And here Claire said she knew about the smoke monster being Christian... And what about the Christian that was off the island that Jack saw? The smoke monster can't go off the island, so that's a huge inconsistancy. I'm really hoping there's another side to this that will be revealed later, or that the smoke monster was just plain lying, because this just doesn't seem like that great of an answer. I would have loved it if it wasn't for those two inconsistencies. But besides that, I thought that this was a great episode. For an episode as fast as this, and as much of a set-up episode as this, it runs the risk of not having enough depth in its story and/or characters as it could have. But I think that the writers did a great job of adding enough depth within this episode with the different character moments. While they weren't as fleshed out as the would have been in character-centric episodes, many of them were still great, and some of them doing a lot to change the directions of the characters in (mostly) great ways. As for the homework... Lost is a show about the whole picture. In order to rank the seasons, I need to see the whole picture first. See where the writers were leading us, see how the plot threads were woven throughout and how strong they were, and all of that. This is especially true for this season. I've said plenty of times that I'm really loving this season for what it's doing for the characters (with a few exceptions), and like the overall direction the series has taken. It has made a few mistakes. Some which probably can't be fixed by the end, others which I'm still hoping will be, but overall I'd say the good far outweighs the bad in my mind. If there's one thing that can be said about this season more than any others, it's that it's hard to judge the whole picture before that picture comes to a close. The writers have been very carefully placing the pieces in this season, and have really gone all out with the puzzle elements in this season (and I thought last season was already pushing how far the writers could go with this). This has caused a lot of frustration from some fans. The ones who want straight answers already, and the ones that you mentioned in this article. I personally don't mind this. The puzzle element has been a key element from the beginning. I've been patient for 5 1/2 seasons (though I guess I have the advantage of starting pretty late into the series, as opposed to those who started watching from the very beginning), and that hasn't changed even with this more confusing use of the puzzle element. That being said, despite the fact that I'm loving this season, it makes it really hard to rank it among the other seasons. I'd have to finish the season, think about it for a while, and then rewatch it in order to get an accurate opinion of the season as a whole. But, if I had to make a guess right now, I'd probably put it at 3rd, behind seasons 5 (favorite season) and 2.
I don't get it anyway, what do you want viewers (I'm not even saying fans) to do after reading your articles? Stop watching Lost? Water down its ratings (It could do that without your help)? What? Praise your criticism? Agree with you? You, my friend, have no logical point in writing anything about this final season. You could have done these articles during the first season. Maybe I wouldn't have spent hundreds of hours watching this show. It's ending for god's sake.

I appreciated Lost for its lack of answers. I think its attempt to answer questions was just to satisfy fans craving. Some questions are never meant to be answered. Maybe if you stop wanting so much and just sit back and appreciate it for what it is, you wouldn't spoiling the whole ride for everyone who still watches.
Load More Comments