Lost: So It Wasn't Great Moisturizer After All

Tuesday's episode of Lost, "Ab Aeterno," was all about Dick Clark Richard Alpert, the ageless wonder who doesn't wear eyeliner and has constantly played coy about what he knows about the island. It was also another entry in the ever-growing tradition of non-traditional Lost episodes that buck their season's storytelling devices.

For me, a break from the side-flashes was more than welcome. Even though I've recently started to warm to these alternate-reality tales, watching "Ab Aeterno" was like reuniting with an old friend thanks to the episode's straight-flashback narrative structure (although conspiracy theorists could reasonably argue that it, too, was a side-flash), which the Lost of old did splendidly.

We were flashed-back (flash-backed?) to Richard's real-time days, when he was an extra in Last of the Mohicans and lived in the Canary Islands in 1867. Things dragged for a bit—Richard had a sick wife, killed a doctor by accident, went to jail, and was sold into slavery, at which point he ended up on the Black Rock, our favorite dynamite-carrying sea vessel—before he was finally rescued by The Man in Black. That's when things really got cookin'.

Because in last night's episode, we learned more than ever before about Jacob and the Man in Black—albeit through unreliable narrators. According to Jacob, he isn't the devil and the Man in Black is pure evil—and being held captive on the island so that his pure badness doesn't "infect" the rest of the world (presumably as has happened with Sayid and Claire). According to Smokey, he's just a dude who wants to be free and Jacob is the Devil. Jacob's conversation with Richard on the beach was a fascinating, and worthy of a transcript:

Jacob: Think of this wine as what you keep calling "hell." There's many other names for it as well, "malevolence," "evil," "darkness." And here it is, swirling around in this bottle unable to get out because if it did, it would spread. The cork is this island. And it's the only thing keeping the darkness where it belongs. That man who sent you to kill me believes that everyone is corruptible because it's in their very nature to sin. I bring people here to prove him wrong. And when they get here, their past doesn't matter.

In this game of white vs. black, right vs. wrong, good vs. evil, all we really know is that Jacob and Smokey pretty much hate each other's guts—and that they keep some rudimentary form of a score by trading different colored stones. When Jacob gots Richard on his side, he presents Smokey with a white stone, the equivalent of sliding over another point in a game of Foosball. The Man in Black, as Smocke, did something similar when he successfully converted Sawyer in the cave with all the candidates' names (I think he either removed a white stone from a scale or added a dark stone to it, tipping it in the favor of the darker shade).

And now we have Richard ready to leave for the other side because he believes Jacob is a liar. It wasn't until Hurley acted as speaker of the deceased that Richard learned what he really should do: Keep Smokey on the island, which puts him right back on Team Jacob.

Next: Change is good >>

"Ab Aeterno," as I said before, continued one of my favorite aspects of watching Lost: The writers' ability to step sideways and deliver what I call "special" episodes. Episodes that buck the trend of the season's storytelling yet still manage to be 100 percent Lost, making them some of the series' best episodes.

"Ab Aeterno" gave us the traditional flashback structure, and it may have been the series' flash-backiest extended flashback ever: We went all the way back to 1867. There was no side-flash, which some blame for making Season 6 frustrating. It almost felt like a missing episode from the series, but in a very good way.

A handful of other past Lost episodes did something similar and found a place in my heart as "special" episodes:

"The Other 48 Days" (Season 2, Episode 7): I think this is one of the more underrated episodes of Lost, as I remember watching it and thinking 'Holy crap, Lost is amazing.' Instead of flashing back to the characters off-island, we simply saw what happened to the tail section survivors after Oceanic 815 crashed. It was bold, it was risky, it was riveting.

"Flashes Before Your Eyes" (Season 3, Episode 8): Desmond becomes unstuck in time and is jumping around into his past, not simply flashing back. The result is the unique narrative stretching almost the entire episode, and completely blowing our minds (and Desmond's). Similar narrative structures occurred in "Meet Kevin Johnson," "316," and "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham," but it was done spectacularly in "Flashes."

"The Constant" (Season 4, Episode 5): Considered by many to be Lost's best single episode, "The Constant" featured more Desmond jumping around, but mostly a 1996 version of Desmond jumping forward. A great primer for the alternate reality we're dealing with now.

"Because You Left" (Season 5, Episode 1): Time jumps, time jumps, time jumps. But not just to times we hadn't seen before, to times we have seen before. We see Sawyer witness Claire giving birth from a different perspective, Locke sees the drug plane crash, etc. It wasn't just flashbacks, it was full-on time travel.

Have any other "special" episodes to add to the list? Let me know!

User contribution news

Last week I asked for all your Richard Alpert theories in anticipation of this week's episode, and... well, you all get a big fat 'F' this week, make sure you get your parents to sign your report card. Except for Lazarius, who replied: "I used to have high hopes for Richards back story, but over the course of the show I started to think we had already seen(or discovered on our own) what he was all about. We don't know specifics, but I think it's safe to assume he came on the Black Rock, whether he was a slave or a worker remains to be seen, but I believe a slave after the way he looked at the shackles during last weeks episode. Other than a few minor things here and there I've gotten it into my head that his inevitable flashback episode wasn't going to reveal much, because it really doesn't need to. Maybe he's simply just some random slave from some random ship that Jacob brought to the island. And Jacob randomly picked him to be his second in command because they were good buds. Lets hope I'm wrong and next week blows all the Ben and Locke episodes out of the water." There's a good point here that we did already know most of what happened with Alpert, and kudos to Lazarius for accurately predicting much of how the episode would go. A+. Tixo, Oregon2010, Snuffles929, and GoKuVeGeTaGoHaN also get passing grades for doing the homework.

The rest of you, see me after class. Hovabyte and pichikin, let me know if this was better. Seriously, you two have to agree this was a pretty darned good episode.

The Lost Season 6 Episode Power Rankings

(I'll be keeping tabs on each episode, ranking them in terms of quality each week, right here. Your opinions will differ from mine.)

"Ab Aeterno": This one really hit the good vs. evil nail on the head, and while it may not have been the most jaw-dropping episode of the season (that still belongs to "The Substitute") it certainly provoked the most thought, something that's been lacking from other episodes. Big thumbs up for this one.

1. "The Substitute" Ep. 4
2. "Ab Aeterno" Ep. 9
3. "Recon" Ep. 8
4. "LA X (2)" Ep. 2
5. "The Lighthouse" Ep. 5
6. "Sundown" Ep. 6
7. "LA X (1)" Ep. 1
8. "Dr. Linus Ep. 7
9. "What Kate Does" Ep. 3

Your Homework:

This week, your homework is to think about why you didn't do last week's homework and write a letter to your Congressman about the importance of education.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

May 01, 2010
Special episodes for me would be the pilot, which had the POVs of Kate and Charlie; and ep. 4x02 "Confirmed Dead" which featured the four new "boat" characters' POVs. These are also some of my favorite episodes.
Mar 28, 2010
Hate to be a downer mudammir, but I think everyone predicted the MiB to be smokey lol. Pretty much since we saw the heiroglyphs in I think Season 4 or 5 showing a figure looking like Anubis bending down and taming the "monster". Pretty much foreshadowed the fact that Jacob has some power over the Smoke Monster/MiB. I also think it predates Christ since "Christ" would have been around 2000 years ago and the ancient egyptians were around thousands of years prior to that. It would make more sense if this were Ancient Egyptian mythology. Every era that comes to the island views Jacob/Smokey the same, but relate them towards their beliefs. ie. Ancient Greek located on the temple walls as well as Jacob's tapestry shows that the greeks were there after the Egyptians. Egyptians there before the Greeks, Christians would have been there after the Jews most likely. Babylonians there before the Egyptians, but since we see no sign of them, I am lead to the conclussion that this is embedded deep within Egyptian Mythology. The Egyptian visitors built a freaking temple/statue of Taweret. Why would Christianity work in this story? Christians like Richard could view the MiB as the devil or "anti-christ", but like I said Jacob/MiB represent Good/Evil and are interpreted by the current religious beliefs differently. ie. MiB could be Set/Apep in Egyptian Beliefs, Devil in Christianity, Hades in Greek, Darkness/Evil to Jews (No devil in Judism, fairy tales came after lol), etc. etc. etc.
Mar 28, 2010
When season 5 ended, I predicted that MIB is smokey, based on a theory which is very long and I don't want to bore you on it. I emailed it to friends of mine back in May 2009. This time I'm predicting that MIB is the "Anti-Christ". Let's see how it goes.
Mar 27, 2010
what a great episode, they didn't answer any questions & we saw great acting by bat-manuel, who was able to make us feel for his wife in only 1 epsidode! the best part was that i was able to enjoy it in spanish!
Mar 27, 2010
Is it just me or does it now seem that Richard has taken over Jacob's role as the protector of the island? He's the only one who has had any clear instructions that involve taking over Jacobs job. Isabella told him he can't let Smokey escape the island. none of the candidates except Hurley but he wasn't the one to be told to do that, actually know what the job is they have to take over from Jacob: Keep "the devil" inside the bottle. Not protect the cork like they think is his job. Jacob also told Ilana that Richard knows what they have to do, that they have to follow him. It just seems that now Richard is the guy with all the answers and the one who has the same objective Jacob had. He has soemwhat taken over his job.

Also one of my main problems isn't the sideflashes, they can be very entertaining(especially the Locke and Ben and Sawyer ones), but the fact that to me it seems that theyre just too many story lines going on at ones. Admitedly they're great storylines, but it just anoys me that we start of with one story and then the next episode we get to watch a different story and then don;t hear anything about the first one. I mean look at what happened after The Substitute: Locke showed Sawyer the cave and it ended with this big shocker that all those names and numbers were written on the cave walls. But after that we went back to the temple story and didn't hear anything from Sawyer for two episodes. Not even where he went or why Locke didnt bring him with him to the temple or even hwo the hell he got out of that cave. And now with this episode, it's an amazing episode but it just feeld like it could have been thrown in anywhere in the season. It only had a couple scenes at the begining and end of the episode that werent flash backs and those scenes didn't really move the plot along a whole lot. The episodes just seem too much thrown togeter with no one collective storyline runing through all the episodes that ties them all together
Mar 27, 2010
@Hungry_Homer111. Oh I totally forgot. This must have happened after he portrayed Alex to Ben and now which in LOST time could only be a few days. Im guessing the death of Jacob must be the trigger.
Mar 26, 2010
Loved the episode and the explanation Jacob gives to Ricardo about the island. Anyway, the Man in Black says Jacob is the Devil and Jacob says the Man in Black is the bad guy but I think both are bad. I'm in the Smokey team, he's more interesting.
Mar 26, 2010
if the island is HELL how come JACK and some o f them manage to go back to LA. Impossible that hell is just an ocean away. oh yeah this is fiction.
Mar 26, 2010
Tim, I don't think this episode was "pretty darned good", I think it was @#&%$ awesome! LOST writers, more please? Hope it just gets better from here on out. =D Kudos to Nestor Carbonell (Richard Alpert). I thought that was some of the best acting I've seen on LOST. I'm wondering about something, do you guys think that Richard's wife really said that last part about stopping MIB or did Hurley just add that in to get Richard back on Team Jacob? Not really a big thing but I'm curious what you guys think.
Mar 26, 2010
@D-blaze34: Actually, the smoke monster can't take other forms outside of Locke and the smoke itself. This was mentioned by Ilana, who said he was trapped in that form. Just when this happened is unclear, but I'm guessing it happened once Jacob was killed.
Mar 26, 2010
Also Tim as a teacher I always give a little more leniency to the good kids who normally do the homework.
Mar 26, 2010
Titus Welliver as MIB has such a menacing presence, his hatred for Jacob sweeps from his pores like the black smoke that inhabits him. I really hate that he uses Locke's shell to materialize when he can obviously still take on other forms.

I anticipate the last scene of Lost being Jack (Jacob's replacement) and Locke (MIB) sitting on the beach next to the statue talking about the goodness/evil in people. Jack will say its all progress and MIB will mention how much he wants to kill Jack. Its probably more likely to be the first theory the way things are going and you know what... I could deal with that ending!
Its just a theory. It could also be a variation of this where Locke somehow is revived either as through the flash side ways or something else and Locke is the new Jacob (he was always the most natural replacement).
Mar 26, 2010
@ddeitz My guess is that Richard wasn't the first, nor the last person before Ben that the Man in Black manipulated to try to kill Jacob. His response to Ben's attempt, after thousands of years of who knows how many people turned against him by MIB, is just frustration, and a bit of surrender, realizing he was "loosing the game" every time
Mar 26, 2010
@abelav78 Yea I noticed the same thing when I was watching the first season recently. They pretty much give us the ultimate hint right then and there.
Mar 26, 2010
Great episode. Amazing season. Best show ever. Locke called it all in the first episodes of Lost when he was playing backgammon with Walt. One Side is Light, the other is Dark, and its been played from 5000 years or something like that. Genius how they wrap everything up nicely, its not perfect but well damn near it. Love this show.
Mar 25, 2010
Anyone notice that when Richard comes at Jacob with a knife Jacob goes all Jacky Chan on him but when Ben came at him with a knife he just stood there and looked like he was going to cry.
Mar 25, 2010
Eyeliner, moisturiser, and it seems we’re finally getting somewhere. This should put one misconception to bed once and for all. No Sawyer. Hardly any Ben or Jack, and one glance from Locke and yet even without these top characters that everyone has been saying really make Lost what it is, this was by far the best episode of the final season and one of the best ‘flash’ episodes of the whole series, Maybe because that is what was focused on. The 150 or so years that Richard has been immortal could very well fuel a series in itself. Tim, This episode made even ‘The Substitute’ seem average so how you can put it at only second place on your list makes me wonder. In fact though you say you liked this episode your review seems so much more restrained than even last week’s regarding ‘Recon’
Titus Welliver is fantastic in MIB guise (possibly even better than Terry O’Quinn) and Mark Pellegrino as Jacob always brings some mystery to his roles.
Nestor Carbonell has proved to be a fantastic actor and his character of Richard is one of the understated attractions of lost. Bringing his presence into the foreground in the last few seasons has given us fans a lot to ponder. Okay, The basic back story of The Black Rock and how he landed on the island had pretty much been laid out for us in previous episodes but watching the whole story unfold in an episode which took us back to 1867 and yet still remained so true to the Lost style while filling in the gaps was fascinating.
Also, questions answered a plenty at last, but still some very important ones. Richard, although one of the others was not their leader. Why not? Why the others hostility to all visitors? Who brought Dharma to the Island and why kill them all?

Some of the characters are back and forth at the moment deciding who to align themselves with. This was made all the more obvious this week when Richard first decided he was going over to the other side and then at the end seemed to switch his allegiance back to Jacob. But hopefully this will just prove important for the big finale.
My one disappointment was that when Isabella told Ricardo to give the cross to the doctor, I was hoping there was going to be some significance with it finally winding up being given to Jack for some reason.
Regarding the best flash episodes; "Ji Yeon" The Episode with Jin and Sun always sticks in my mind because it was such a suprise that they were in fact each in different times.
Mar 25, 2010
All that crying from Richard was just annoying...
Mar 25, 2010
LOVED this episode. Gave me faith in the show again.
Mar 25, 2010
the island isn't hell it's purgatory!
Mar 25, 2010
I thought this was the best episode so far this season. It answered more than a few long standing questions and gave us a whole new insight on what the island is...and Nestor Carbonell has never been as good as he was in last nights episode. EPIC!
Mar 25, 2010
I can honestly say that I have never thought anything special about a single Lost episode.. And this episode was alright, I'm really hoping they stick to the "THE ISLAND IS HELL" explanation, because it's the one I've assumed was right since the beginning.
Mar 25, 2010
Side-flash vs flash-back? Flash-back wins. As gr8 as The Substitute was, it remains a side-flash. Ab Aeterno is my favorite episode so far.
Mar 25, 2010
One of my favorite episodes that went against the norm was Ji Yeon. For anyone who doesn't remember, it's the episode that shows the Kwons off the island with Sun having her baby and Jin searching for a Panda. Pretty average episode until the kicker at the end when it's revealed that Sun is shown in the future while Jin is shown in the past, ending with a visit to his future grave. And since I don't have to do next weeks homework I'll just predict the next episode: Smocke convinces Sun that he knows what he's doing and will bring her to Jin. Along the way they meet up with Charles and, whoa boy...they have a conversation...In the flash sideways Jin is with a confused Sayid, while Sun is...looking for him. Within both realities the pair will probably remain undecided for which side to join(much like Sawyer), however it could also go the route of Sun forgiving Jin for what he's done in the flash sideways and they go the side of good(which would include a rescue/ escape mission from Smocke).
Mar 25, 2010
This sure was one of the best episodes in the last season.
Mar 25, 2010
For some reason I'm starting not to believe Jacob to be not all that innocent. Ok Sayid and Claire supposedly has been influenced by Smokey (MIB) to be predisposed to evil but in the case of Sayid he was taken to spring, where the others (Jacob's buddies) to be healed. Now remember this is maybe the same spring where Ben was taken and he ain't that good of a person himself. He was chosen to lead the others and he killed all the Dharma folks. this ep just brought that thought full circle to me or I just maybe still LOST :) But this was a great ep I was way happy within the first 5 mins took me 20 mins to realise my mouth was on the floor after it was over. Really enjoyed the Richard storyline
Mar 25, 2010
I should totally get more than a passing grade for guessing that Richard's real name isn't Richard. I was spot on! This episode was excellent in ever aspect. Not only do we learn more about Richard the man, about his struggles and the events leading to his role of advisor. The only thing that slightly bothered me is when MiB said "It's good to see you out of those chains." which was the exact same thing he said in one of the previous episodes. I'm sort of starting to get the feeling that the last season of Lost is sort of an homage to the show itself, with the appearance of many (irrelevant) characters who they're trying to incorporate into the sideways flashes. It seems a little too much and sometimes I feel a bit detached from the characters that actually matter because there's just so much of it going on.
Absolutely amazing episode.

I have been a fan of Richard's character since all the way back in his first appearance in Season 3 during Juliet's flashback. I think I can speak for the vast majority of Losties when I say that we've waited a long, long time for this episode, not just because of the confirmation on how Richard ended up on our favorite island, but because Nestor Carbonell is a terrific actor and has been one of the show's scene stealers ever since he became a recurring guest star. His performance was Emmy worthy to say the least.

I really enjoyed both "The Substitute" and "Recon" so far this season, but personally I'd have to place "Ab Aeterno" at the top of that power ranking list. I would say that this episode easily falls in the Top 10 Lost Episodes of all time, probably closer to the Top 5.

I'm real excited to see how the next 3 episodes play out (Jin/Sun, Desmond, and Hurley-centric episodes), and how the Charles Widmore vs Smokey storyline begins to grow. I'm already saddened by the fact that there are so few hours left of Lost until it's all over, but I can say without a doubt that we're all going to be in for one hell of a ride the rest of the way.
Passing grade? YES!
Mar 25, 2010
One thing that confuses me is that in s05e16-17 The Incident we see the black rock closing in on the island, but, then the weather is great. But in Ab Aeterno it is waves big enough to throw the ship whrough the statue (shouldn't the ship be in worse shape too?) and in to the middle of the jungle.

But a great episode, totally!
Mar 25, 2010
good episode not i would just like to know what exactly is jacob's story
Mar 25, 2010
ur right, it was like an episode of lost from the earlier seasons...and i have to agree with "novembernicole" in regards to finally wat richards past was about and how he came to be..finally..now this was not the best episode this season but definately one of the better ones...now only if the rest of the season can pick itself up...now thats wat 3 of 4 quality episodes in the past 4 weeks???? ur now getting my interest stirred again
Mar 25, 2010
Amazing performance by Nestor Carbonell.
Mar 25, 2010
This was a great episode, and Nestor Carbonell is a great actor. I am glad that we finally got Richard's backstory. I have waited a long time for that because Richard was always a mysterious and fascinating character to me. Even though as Lazarius predicted, there were some things that we already suspected, it was nice to see it played out and get confirmation.
Mar 25, 2010
As somebody who has loved this season, and even enjoyed the weakest episode of the season ("What Kate Does"), I'd have to say that this was easily my favorite episode of the season. I love the parallel universe element of the season, but I do agree that it was refreshing to see something else. Though, at the same time, it also managed to follow the trend that I've been noticing for a lot of this season so far. With the exceptions of Kate and (for obvious reasons) Locke, each character-centric episode has focused on delving into what has made that character who he is (no "she" since as I said, Kate didn't really follow the pattern, and they haven't had a Sun or Claire centric episode yet), having him come to terms with who he is, and have his journey from that moment on be based on who he was before, and who he wants to be now. With Richard, it was obviously different from the other characters, since we've had hints at certain aspects of his story, but we've never actually been shown just who he was, and how he got onto the island. With this episode, they showed us that, and did a fantastic job of it IMO, but they also used what they set up in a similar fashion to the others, where he came to a turning point in his journey, and a kind of revelation due to Hurley telling him what his wife said, and making a choice to stay. We saw Richard make a vaguely similar decision durring his conversation with Jack in the dynamite scene, but the difference is that, in the dynamite scene he didn't really find his purpose. He was given a hint at a [i]possible[/i] greater importance, but he still wasn't sure about anything. And when he talked to Ilana, who said that he would know what to do, it just made him think it was futile, and he went off to join the smoke monster until he found his purpose: to kill the smoke monster. I loved this episode, from start to finish (although I do admit that I wasn't as into the off-island flashbacks as the on-island ones, but I grew to appreciate those earlier flashbacks once I saw their impact on him), and it did a great job of justifying Richard's presence on the show. I have liked the mysterious Richard, but I'm [i]so[/i] glad that we've finally gotten it all out in the open. Now hopefully the rest of the season can live up the the quality set by this episode. I don't think that will be a problem for the last few episodes, but might be a problem for the next few, though I'm sure I'll enjoy it to some extent either way.
Mar 25, 2010
Tim, how could you not mention Nestor's brilliant acting?
Mar 25, 2010
A review of Tim Surrette's review of LOST 609, "Ab Aeterno".

So Tim's question last week was who was Richard Alpert before they tell us, and Richard/Ricardo turns out to be the same as everyone else, that is, brought to the island by Jacob, and forced to carry out this examination of life's duality. We basically learn what we already know, that he came by ship, and Jacob wins him over and allows him to live forever. What we really learn, is at the heart of each individual, we do what we believe to be just and true, to be virtuous (within ourselves), and that we all make mistakes that we need to forgive ourselves for. "Forgiveness" may have been a more suitable title than, "From the eternal", as Richards search has been absolution from his sins, and peace from his guilty heart, and in all honestly, Richards is the same backstory, as everyone else, but with a different approach from Jacob; a mediator, not a candidate. The question is just as joostin_cdn asks: Who are Jacob and Smlocke? Why are they, where are they, and how does everyone play into their "removal of the cork" chess match, candidates, mediators, bystanders, and all? It was a great episode with fantastic production value, but it didn't answer anything beyond what we were led to believe. Necessary, consistent, and highly welcomed "special" episode, but unless LOST is completely lost on you, did this episode really push the plot forward?
Mar 25, 2010
I don't know why I felt this story had a lot in common with desmond's, the way he lost his love and went on sea voyage to end on the island in a storm,

the way he killed the doctor with very similar to the way desmond killed that guy who was with him in the hatch. and the end whrere he gets to talk to his love (although through Hurley) and she tells him about how their love is forever. and of course the same haircut.

Also I got a feeling that maybe when Hurley said that she told him to tell richard that he have to stop the man in black, it wasn't her, but he added it to convince him to do what Jacob wants him to do.

ONE LAST THING, I REALLY WANT TO SEE A HURLEY FLASH SIDEWAYS
Mar 25, 2010
I actually found this to be my favourite episode. First Richard was awesome. He was believable as a poor Spaniard and convincing as a lost soul. We know he knows more than he lets on, probably kept to himself due to the fact that he thought of Jacob as a liar at that point. Why lie to everyone else right? We get more info on what the island is and how the relationship between Jacob/MiB works. Now we just need to find out exactly what the Island is and where it is..ie. if it is the underworld would it be underwater the entire time, meaning the representation we see in Ep 1 Season 6 of the underwater island is how it always is and why you can't find it. Except on a particular bearing...circles of hell, river styx, hall of judgement, etc. whatever you wanna call it.

Anyways, great episode.

Answers I need:
1. What the island is
2. Where the island is (ie. in reality, below the horizon, under water etc.
3. Who Jacob and MiB really are (ie. sons of Taweret? she did chain her son Set to the underworld because he was friggin evil and nuts....could be a corrolation between the story and statue of Taweret).
4. What happened to Rose, Bernard, and Desmond!!!

I'll be happy after that.
Mar 25, 2010
Another good alternate episode was the one-time storyline of the couple who were buried alive with the diamonds.
Mar 25, 2010
Hey you forgot the one where Jin jumps back but Sun jumps forward - that was a great ep too. But good post!
Mar 25, 2010
Oh no! Please dont ever say team jacob! i CANT STAND all of that twilight crap and Lost is not to be associated with it at all. thx
Mar 25, 2010
Through the Looking Glass 1 and 2 should fall into the "special" episodes category for starting the future flashes. What made they really remarkable in my eyes is how the entire flash makes sense when you finally realize that it was happening in the future. Even though there were other future flashes episodes after that, this was done after three seasons of almost exclusive past flashes and it was completely unexpected and started a new trend in Lost storytelling.
Mar 25, 2010
It's interesting how the cork analogy reconciled the notions of the man in black's imprisonment and the pocket of electromagnetic energy the Island sits upon. The link is still missing, but at least we have a better sense than ever that there is a connection. And also, more burning questions: what were the implications of the sky turning purple after the hatch imploded? What does it mean for the cork if the Island is sunken in the sideways?
Mar 24, 2010