Lost will be broken in two

summerpresstour.jpg

LOS ANGELES--The alphabet is hoping that absence will make the Lost fan's heart grow fonder.

ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson, speaking July 18 at the TV Critic's Association press tour in Pasadena, California, said that Lost will air next season without repeats. Instead, the castaway show will come back to the fall schedule with six episodes, then break for 13 weeks while ABC runs the new Taye Diggs series Daybreak. In February, Lost will return with an unbroken block of episodes.

"We listened to the audiences and felt this was the best way to address the issue of repeats," he said. "We'll have to spend some money and market it aggressively to let the audience know it's back."

Coming back in February puts Lost up against American Idol, which put a dent in the island-mystery's ratings this past season. When season five of Idol premiered in January, Lost ratings dipped 20 percent.

"I think that if you have two good shows in the same time slot, the ratings have shown that the audience is there. They can both survive and thrive," he said. "A lot of it was due to what the producers could deliver. The production cycle for 22 episodes was just too long."

On Friday, Lost show creator Abrams signed two separate contracts--a deal with Warner Bros. studios to produce new TV shows and a deal with Paramount (where Abrams directed Mission: Impossible: III) to write and direct more films. The combined deals are rumored to be worth between $60 and $68 million.

McPherson said that at season's end, Abrams' departure will be an issue, but this season he is working on the show in a big way.

"This year, he is back 100 percent. He is writing, he is even directing some episodes," McPherson said. "Last season it was tough, he did what he could but he was away doing MI3. This year, he is back, working on the show full time."

McPherson conceded that "down the road, [Abrams' involvement] might become more of a question."

McPherson expressed gratitude toward Abrams, who has given ABC the hit spy show Alias, Lost, the solid What About Brian, and the upcoming Six Degrees.

"Frankly, he has been an amazing part of my career," he said. "I thank him for that."

well to be honest abrams doesn't really do that much on the show it's down to the two main producers dammon and carlton, they have mot the ideas and say on what goes on. All Abram did was say that there is a island and some people crash on it and wouldn't it be cool if there was a hatch they tried to get in to.

Then Carlton and Dammon came along and got the characters and the story line going.

So really Abrams can go away and try and do anouther show which I'M SURE he will take credit for while others do the work
This is so like JJ to start something and NOT see it through to the end. I mean look at how badly alias went. That series finale could have been way better. I just hope lost stays around until the initial estimated 100 episodes.
I have to disagree. There's no way that any new people can start to watch Lost now. If they id, they'd be...lost. I'm really hating the execs right now. I don't know if this Lost break is a marketing ploy, or what, but they need to struggle to hold onto the fans they currently have, and this won't help.

While I REALLY hat to say it, I don't see this show holding it's footing, and may not even last for that long after it comes back. While I'll wait, there are some who will say goodbye, simply because they'll find something else to watch.
Well...all the people who hate this decision hate it because they want to see [i]Lost[/i] right NOW. So, they definitely won't choose to not see it at all when it finally arrives, because that'll simply make their wait longer. Also, in that time, more viewers can build up...and in the end, that's all ABC cares about.
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

they need to solve the problem of people being annoyed about the breaks then just runn the wholes series with no break. its a pile of dump with no need for it. n why would JJ leave he should stay loyal. if this show gets ruined i will blame him
I have an idea of how to address the issue of repeats....DON'T HAVE THEM!!! Oh and 13 weeks hiatus....are they nuts!! I think my strike will be not to watch any other show they air in Lost's timeslot....that's all that belongs there anyway. I don't watch American Idol...I'm loyal throughout the year and they want to try to market a whole other series...why?? Used to be a show held it's timeslot from the end of Sept to through May...why does this have to change??? Booooo ABC...first they cancel Invasion now this....they really need to buy a clue.:?
Don't get me wrong, I love JJ Abrams and all...I mean "Alias" is pretty much my favorite show of all-time but I sort of lost all respect for him these past two years. I mean, he completely ditched "Alias" at the begining of it's third season where everyone knows it kind of lost it's way. SURE he ditched it to bring us "Lost" but at what cost did that do? Then he comes back to co-write the season 4 premeire of "Alias" and leaves again all together. He didn't even give the series he created the time of day by writing and directing the series finale.

It just bugs me, if it were me and I were the creator of a series I'd wanna be the one to end and direct the damn thing, not put it in the hands of others. Then again my priority would be television not film so hey...that's just me. So what...is JJ going to ditch the rest of the remaining ABC series' he has on the network with the new deal he has going on? That's real great.

13 weeks, friend is exactly 3 months, not 4. and this is a good thing. We get to refresh with 6 episodes, i believe it begins in early October, then from November to February, which usually is repeat time, we can talk about it and then we get 16 new episodes for spring without constant repeats.
I think that it is a bad strategy...

Here in Latin America they did the same with Desperate Housewives, they repeated the first season over and over until February (the original run it had finished on June) and then they gave us the show without re runs... It is great not having re runs, but I think that don't broadcast Lost it is something very stupid.

Respect to Lost, here in Latin America the show started on March of 2005 so we get the full season without re runs... :)

Respect to Taye Diggs: THE MAN ISN'T FUNNY or TALENTED
doesnt effect me S in ireland it started in jan for both the first 2 seasons so it will properly be on every week[for the first 2 seasons it was sometimes shown twice a week]

I have greats worries bout jj leaving at end of season 3[is it official?]as when it left alias it sank badly....
I think having such a long break would really fustrate viewers. It would fustrate me!
ok heres my deal with a 13 week break, its like summer after a school year. U get so use to the show not being on then when it comed back ur so out of the loop u end up missing the damn thing (which happens to me every time theres a break) and then it becomes a habbit of missing it. the reason why i compared it the summer after school is because u get so used to not going to school when its time to go back ur out of the loop and (well for me) kinda lost and all blah!!!!
I'm sorry but what the heck. Why are you complaining. Why would it lose its momentum I am sure something big will happend at the last episode before the break and everyone will want to see what happends when it comes back on. Its not like its the only show that is good out there. Its the best show but there are more shows to watch. So when its on break just watch the other shows to be entertained. If your afraid you are going to forget what happend why won't you just tape it or something. Also, Im pretty sure that they will have a recap episode when it starts back up in Feburary. So just be patient. Have faith in the show and the writers. The ratings will be fine. Lost is probally making so much money for ABC now. Its there golden ticket. So please, stop whining about the break and remeber what its all about. Lost(the best show ever.
I usually just download the shows and watch them all back to back at the end of the season over the course of a week. I've done that with Lost both seasons. So, break or no break, it doesn't affect me in the slightest.
In the gap between the last two series, i found myself argueing with my friends about Lost, just so we wouldnt forget about it. They shouldnt have such long breaks.
Looks like another season of me fighting my sisters over trying to watch Lost over AI.
I'm fine with this too, but Abrams should start sticking to his shows! First Alias now Lost?
I don't get why TV stations keep doing this crap...Don't they know that it causes them to lose viewers?

Not that I particularly care for Lost (I honestly tried watching it and found it to be drab) - But NBC did this last season with Crossing Jordan it was extremely annoying...
I really love all Abraham shows cant wait for the new one.
finally we get the truth.... :S
there's no trouble in breaking up the season , as long if there is a cliffhanger in the end , sci fi channel does this with stargate sg1 and atlantis and battlestar galactica - show 10 episodes then a break for 3 months and show the ret of the season .

this works very well and you don't have to wait so long for new episodes of your favorite shows

ABC Sucks,13 weeks Break,i have been dreaming for The 3rd Season for months,i think they will regret that after the rates decrease

I hope FOX won't do the same with prison Break
Well at least there giving you a few episodes in the fall. While something like 24 would not get started til January. Plus while you wait those 13 weeks there might be more "lost experience".
So many shows to watch i guess a break will just have so much affect on me. I'll watch it when it's on and that's just it.
13 weeks is a long time, I dont see it maintaining the momentum when it comes back
i'm not even watching next season -this one sucked.
13 weeks is a long time. I wonder if the same thing will happen in Australia?
Don't like it all all more LOSY not less
I personally don't have a big problem with this kind of thing happening, mostly because I don't think the standard American practice of huge seasons is a good idea in the first place. Back in England a standard run for a series is about 6-13 episodes a year (yep, a dozen or less total, not between) and because of that, they have more time between series, and are able to concentrate their efforts in making the episodes they make so much better than if they have to carry things across 22-24 episodes. Alot of the time if I like a US show, I won't seriously watch it until I can get it on DVD anyways because if I try and watch it on regular TV, what with a lot of the better shows having about a half dozen story-lines going on at once, than by the end of the series I've forgotten most of what happened in the start (which really sucks if it's something that's important in hindsight i.e. shows like Lost or Veronica Mars). I think it would be better if they cut down the quantity of episodes and concentrated on the quality instead
I'm FINE with this. We'll have a seven-episode arc, then a break, and then I'm sure it will be back with a vengeance when it returns. I like it this way.
They should do what 24 is doing. Wait until January and then go full tilt without repeats into May. Of course, 24 needed to double up on a few nights to get in before Memorial Day, but hey. I can't believe they are only having six episodes in the fall. That is what I hate. I would rather see an even split or maybe 9. Six is not a lot and then have to wait three plus months. I feel the show will really lose its momentum.
13 weeks is an awfully long time...
Why can't the channel just admit that no-one likes Lost anymore? All this talk of "oh yeah, it's back to full steam ahead for Lost 3, YEAH!". Give it break, bands that have flops for second albums alway, ALWAYS come out with a similar self-hype for that all important third. With Lost, it's no different.

You can't tune out of a complicated show and then decide "Hey, I'm gonna get back into it after not watching the last one." Do you really think people are gonna tune back in? REALLY?!

Then it's gonna flop again with Lost-ites making petitions and asking people like me to help them get the show back. Well tough. Your show's starting to crack and it's about time.

This could have worked as mini-series but nope they had to draw it out!
.......

OMG...

lol....
I've been a fan of this show from day one-- watching every episode of Season 1 over and over (and ABC seemed to re-run Season 1 a lot), then I had great hopes for Season 2, but the repeats and long breaks around Christmas made me start to lose interest in the show. By the time new episodes came on, I had forgotten most of what had happened until that point... even with the repeats.

I'm really afraid that the huge break in the middle will make the show lose momentum. People will find other things to watch (and I doubt it'll be the Taye Diggs show) and the other networks will benefit from the increased audience. I think LOST will need to do some major major storyline changes if they want to draw people back in after such a long break. For me-- out of sight is out of mind.

I'm not so worried about JJ going away because he wasn't around much this season due to his X-Men and Mission Impossible obligations.
I like the repeats sometimes. Ya need a break every once in a while.
I think tjats is totally right. Hold off on the premiere and run all the episodes together. A 13-week break in the middle of the season sounds really lame.
You can't have it both ways. You complain about repeats every two episodes, then you complain about a 13-week break. Patience is a virtue and will always be rewarded.

I'd rather ABC went all the way and put all 22 episodes together in one uninterrupted run. It's proven very successful for 24. A meager 6 episodes to kick off the season sounds like a terrible idea. We'll be used to the show being back, then it disappears again. A January premiere with constant episodes through to May would be much more satisfying, and there would be zero breaks and repeats. Season two left off at a good point and I'm not so on the edge of my seat that I can't wait five more months to see the third season.
JJ Abrams leaving is a huge concern.
isnt the bigger news that jj might leave the series?
Why do people keep complaining about the way it used to be? It was fine the way it is, now they're just ruining it!!
It's all in perspective. Assuming it premiers in late september, a 6 week run would take it through to mid november. Besides, shows typically show a lot of repeats during the holidays just due to all the specials, etc.

So I don't think it will be as bad as people are making it out to be. An uninterrupted run into sweeps will be awesome, and I have class on wednesday nights this fall anyways (so I actually prefer it this way.)
interesting. Maybe brilliant
Probabaly get canned when the ratings go down, just like so many other 'decent' shows....
13 weeks is nothing. 24 takes 7 months off in between seasons and that hasn't affected the audience's enthusiasm. It's not like ABC isn't going to hype the hell out of this when it comes back. Lost is another one of those shows that benefits highly from uninterrupted runs. People are complaining still about this. Can't anyone be satisfied?
This is almost 4 months!!! What are ABC thinking? I believe that ratings will go down when the show continues...
Okay, they think this will help their problem? 13 weeks is a very long time, and they are probably going to lose most of their audience because people will forget what happened before the 13 weeks started.
2 episodes in 7 weeks completely screws with things. Having 16-18 episodes in a row will be awesome.
It will seem like Summer all over again without the seasonal fun to keep you busy.
See, this is what happens when people complain constantly about repeats. We get a 3 month break.
Load More Comments