Lost's Lingering Questions: The Internet Responds

Aside from the show's most burning question (OMG WHO WILL KATE CHOOSE!?!?!?), several queries that Lost diehards were ready to check off their lists went unchecked on Sunday night.

What's the deal with Walt? Where was Christian's body? What the frak is the island anyway? Why the hell did I just watch six seasons of this show?

If the series' philosophical-slash-spiritual end didn't satisfy you, you aren't alone. Here's a sampling of the best the internet has to offer about Lost's remaining mysteries unanswered questions:

College Humor threw together a video that asks a series of rapid-fire questions that are partly humorous and partly legitimate.

Lostpedia has been keeping track of unanswered questions since they going unanswered. Now that the finale has aired, there are still a ton remaining.
Lostpedia: Unanswered Questions

Sci-Fi blog io9 has a report card of the questions they wanted answers to and how well the show answered them.
io9: 50 Questions Lost Needed to Answer... a report card!

The folks at Heavy.com put together a list of their ten major questions, but if you knew them already you can check out their list of the top cleavage moments from the show.
Heavy.com: Top 10 Unanswered Questions from Lost

The blog Stormicus lists its 17 biggest questions, and commenters try and makes sense of them.
Stormicus: Questions I Really Wanted Answered About Lost

A fellow at ScreenRant was brave enough to try and answer some of the nagging questions, and pretty much fails miserably.
ScreenRant: Lost Finale Explained

The sad fact is this: You're not going to get your answers to most of these questions from what we've seen. But don't worry, because Producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse promise that if you spend the $40-$60 on the Season 6 DVD set, a bonus disc will answer several of the lingering questions. And that my friends, is the answer to one of the questions ("How will we get the answers!?!?") that we never wanted to hear.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Well I like this show, but my fav is "the dating game" Im just about to review. Reminds me of my early days searching for Ukrainian singles . Now I like to take things more steady!
Except that ALL these questions WERE ANSWERED, i find it unbelievable that so many people still cant figure this out.
Still a very sharp polarity between science and faith among the Lost fans I see. The truth is that most of the mysteries were at least partially answered and what remains really isn't all that interesting. Like: What is the Island? We know it's an ancient place of power that has some dominion over life, death and the fate of people. Even if the writers would show us how it was created, people would still have questions. So you have to stop somewhere.

Then there's the points that just had to be abandoned for practical reasons, like the Walt storyline. The guy grew like 6 feet between seasons, so the writers couldn't keep him in. Not really that big a deal either.

But most of the vital stuff (Jacob, Smokie, Dharma, The characters' backstories, the whispers, the walking dead people) were all handled perfectly fine imo. Stop over-analysing and start looking for the next great show to watch.
OK, the vast majority of these questions are extremely unimportant. Small details that got lost in the shuffle or stuff that really has no bearing on the main plot. Like how Cindy the stewardess was with the Tallies if she had been in the front of the plane banging on the bathroom door to get Charlie out? An over sight or perhaps we didn't see her run or get thrown down the aisle before strapping down (the flight crew's seats are always at the front & back of the plane). The ones that bug me a little are: the Dharma drops, the Numbers and Walt's significance.
wow :D only lost fans post this enormous comments
I'm sorry, the finale of Lost was the biggest rip-off in TV history. Most of the unanswered questions were the product of seat of the pants bad writing and no plausible answers were possible. Their ridiculous finale was the ultimate insult to its fans the world over and if you can't see this you never cared about it to begin with, or you're in complete denial.

Lost was a very pretty and well made show, with fine acting and wonderful production values, and we'll always have that, but we'll never get satisfying answers from these people. So plunk down your 50 bucks for the season 6 DVD set, then come see me. I got a really great bridge that will interest you, and its a screaming deal, I swear by Jacob's honor you won't be disappointed...
I loved the finale of Lost. I think Christian Shepherd explained it beautifully to Jack, when he said that all the people in that church, built this place together. Who knows what brings us together. Why is the repore we have with some individuals so overwhelming while with others, next to nil. In retrospect in remembering those individuals who did not make it to the end, I believe there is a reason. Echo, Ana Lucia, Michael, to name a few were all responsible for ending the lives of others. They did not earn a place for themselves in the afterlives of our oceanic heroes. Ben although providing a large amount of evil, redeemed himself by becomine Hurley's 2nd. In his redemption, he became a welcomed member. Although forgiven , he could not forgive himself which is why he chose not to enter the church. Jacob and the Man in Black are representations of the almighty and the devil. Richard is the right hand of the almighty. He will go on forever helping others build the place they will go to when they die. Those individuals such as Boone, Shannon, Charlie, Libby, etc, who died earlier in the show and appeared as part of the end, were simply part of the order of things. Their demise brought them to where they had to be, because their contribution to the afterlife was completed. In the end they were reunited with the people with whom they built this afterlife. When Juliette blew up the island a purgatory was formed. Our heroes became part of a world which was not real. The passengers on board the airplane arrived at their destination, They interacted with friends, partners, and family members. These people were people they knew and loved when alive, and only part of this world which was a dimension separate from real life. They were important in the crossing over from life to death.

Walt, can be explained by believing that he was returned to life because it was not his time to die. His contribution to the oceanic passengers journey into the afterlife was brief and no longer needed. He had to return to life. Walt is and was the only l person to survive the crash. This is my take on lost
Yeah, stop trying to figure it out people. There are no answers because the writers just posed a bunch of questions they didn't have answers for. The show was never supposed to actually make sense. So stop trying to make sense of it. And, for all future writers of TV series--when in doubt, just kill off all of your likable characters and show them going to heaven. Heaven is the perfect consolation prize to having an actual plot.
Stop trying to figure everything out!!!!!!!!!The island was,is,and remains a mysterious place.Can't you people just leave it at that??
Actually, Ethan was born on the island. That was in 1977. Then a bomb was detonated that may have had some bad side effects on the island and that's why women who got pregnant on the island would die before giving birth. Claire however was already very much pregnant and Aaron was conceived off the island as well. Sun gave birth to Ji Yeon off the island. SR's article also explains this to the same effect.
As far as why women couldn't have babies on the island, the Jacob/MIB episode clearly explained it. Well, implicitly... clearly... Ahem. Their biological mother was brutally murdered by a crazy person. They were told that people are bad, and the knowledge that their fake-mother was a bad person proved it---mind you, Jacob asked and fake-mom admitted to murdering biological mom. So, Jacob makes it so that women can't get birth because he has a thing about mothers.
SR article actually does answer the questions-- now if you want to talk about the Post It Note disaster your boy did...YIKES.
What's wrong with ScreenRant's analysis. Seems pretty spot on to me, maybe a bit to soft on Darlton but pretty accurate on how I interpreted it to. Totally agree they really created their own conundrum with the Time Travel. Season 5 was frankly a mess. They could have addressed a lot of the mythology they introduced with flashbacks rather than outright time travel. That part was easily the most confusing and judging by the poor ratings by LOST standards of late S5 episodes I think the viewers mostly agree.
BTW, having said that, we DO appreciate the shout out regardless. :)
The fellow at Screen Rant fails miserably? Really? That's not what people who read the article and have retweeted it hundreds of times are saying.
You know, I don't care about the unanswered questions. I don't care about the unsolved mysteries. I only care about seeing all of them again. About the wonders it made me go through for 6 seasons. I will miss this show. I only hope I will stop crying before I stop missing it. So long, Lost. Thank you
@ozoak, Amen Brother! Well said. Fan of the show since Day 1, watched every episode, spent WAY too much time theorizing on the mysteries through S3. Writers strike, truncated season and layoff between S3-S4 tempered some of my zeal for the show but I remained faithful to it and followed it to the end. I think there is a reasonable if simplistic answer to a lof of the questions that some are claiming unanswered. For example Jacob and MiB's "mom" where did she come from? Well if they'd shown us the person who entrusted the Island to her, everyone would be asking where THAT guy came from and on and on! So I'm OK with some of the mystery being addressed with inference but the fact remains C&L took us down a mystery road and then copped out on resolving what they themselves claimed as important. I agree that IF all the mysteries were resolved the chatter on the show would die, but I'm also not going to just let C&L off the hook for what was probably a lot of lazy writing. YES Lost was a great ride. Thank ABC and C&L, the great acting, creative script for all that, but it could have been much better and the fans who watched from start to finish deserved better. Some of you are fully satisfied with how the final 2 seasons and the Finale played out, some aren't and they're fully justified to feel that way.
@ozoak: Well said. It takes a special kind of fanaticism to justify the island sized plot-holes in that show. Was I entertained for 6 years? Yes. Was the production and acting superb? Absolutely. Did I like the characters? Very much. Were there gaping holes in the story? Swiss cheese has nothing on Lost.
I like the show.I gave the finale 9.5.
but What I know about mystery that there is always a clue to be guessed.
unfortunately, Lost doesn't have any for the mystery things.
Simply, they don't respect our mind.
The cast say "If there are answers,It won't be lost".
Come on you guys.
you make things that doesn't make sense then say that.
You know this seems to have polarised the "fans" who are willing to forego good story writing and critique the series as "art" and excuse the inadequacies in the story due to this and it's "spiritual" nature.

Hogwash.

I _enjoyed_ the series immensely.
I _was_ moved by much of the final episode ('s).
I'm not fool enough to _need_ all the answers, but come on, seriously _some_ of the backstory to the main elements would have been nice. YES I want to know WTH was 'the light' why was there 'a plug' that could be pulled in and out easily. Who's were the skeletons in the 'light cave'. What WAS the deal with the black smoke. I don't buy some of the over simplistic "fanswers" to these questions.

These were the fundamental building blocks for much of the stories framework. The scriptwriters _must_ have had solid ideas on these things, otherwise writing around them would have been an impossibility.

I am comfortable with the spiritualism in the final scenes, in fact it was refreshing in it's openness. What I did _not_ need was a TV show going for 6 years to then basically say to us at the end: what do you think.

Lets not kid ourselves. This show isn't a philosophical art piece dissecting metaphysical awareness. It was an original and compelling drama, and a cash cow. I don't begrudge anyone that - it was a very good show. But the very fact that people ARE asking for answers doesn't mean that they're too low-brow for the show. It means the show raised plot questions, promoted expectation that questions would be answered, then failed to deliver answers. No-ones (well, ok most reasonable people) expecting to be spoon fed everything, but after 6 years there are still some fundamentals that weren't answered that are far too open to speculation.

The fans need to stop going so easy on their beloved show and appreciate that a vast number of followers of the show feel short-changed when it comes to answers.
Anyone that wanted every answer spoonfeed to them wasn't watching the sixth season properly it was pretty obvious that the finale wouldn't be just 2 and a half hours of answers. motleylil below did a great job of going through some of the questions. I watched this show because it was mysterious and confusing in places and the end was in keeping with the rest of the story, I'm so glad that they didn't spell out everything the show was more intelligent than that, and any art that doesn't require you to think is no good and Lost can never be accused of that. Anyone not moved and touched by that ending was watching it in a different way to those of us that just sat back and enjoyed, and were emotionally affected by it. Thank you Lost for everything, it was a trip.
@DarkManiaN_1979 From what I've seen, it doesn't seem like you have anything better to do. I'm not talking about you personally, but there seems to be a lot of time spent just complaining about the story being incomplete. And I would be careful as to consider them being plot holes. The plot is complete. It's the background that isn't.
@Ilovelost815, we are not stupid. Just because we have better things to do than sit around having to theorize to complete the plot, it does not make us stupid. We simply wanted answers that were not presented to us. Therefore the over arcing plot had too many holes for us to be able to immerse ourselves in what was really just a fairy tale ending.
Leaving so many gaps in the storyline is poor plotting and lazy writing. It's one thing to leave it up to the viewer's interpretation but when they're so many holes it all just becomes random speculation.
I would not even watch the DVD if it was given to me let alone spend money on it. They have got to be kidding themselves.
Why did the island heal people?
We know Jacob can make people not age. Is it so hard to believe he can cure cancer?

Why couldn’t women conceive on the island?
When was the last time a woman concieved on the island and didn't die giving birth on the island? 1977. Since then, a massive amount of lethal gas was released over the entire island. Side effect, maybe?

Why was the island underwater at the beginning of Season Six?
Because in their alternate reality, their lives haven't been affected by the island. Putting it at the bottom of the ocean seems an efficient way of doing this.

Why did the island time travel when the donkey wheel was turned?
I have no idea.

Why were the Others on the island to begin with? What purpose did they serve?
To help the candidates down the path Jacob intended for them.

Why did we never get the Man in Black’s name?
Who cares?

Who was the woman who acted as Jacob and the Man in Black’s mom? How long had she been there?
The protector of the island, like Jacob has been, and like Hugo is now. It's safe to assume she's been there for quite a while.

Was Widmore a good guy or a bad guy?
That's all relative.

What the hell was the point of Libby?
Get Hugo somebody to love.

Did the detonation of the nuclear bomb at the end of Season Five do anything?
Render the pocket of electromagnetism unsafe. Or maybe just drilling into it did that particular job.

Why and how was Desmond special?
Because there needed to be someone to turn on and off the island's magic.

Who left all the Egyptian artifacts on the island?
Egyptians.

Why were the Others kidnapping children?

Walt is special. They wanted to "examine" him. They were doing experiments on pregnant women, so it makes sense they caught Claire. And they wanted to give Zach and Emma a better life, knowing it wouldn't turn out so great for them with the survivors of 815. They're not all bad, you know.

What exactly was the DHARMA Initiative?
People who discovered there was an island in the pacific that had strange properties. They thought they could do some interesting things with those properties. Guess what, they did! Time traveling bunnies!

A lot of questions can be answered in a satisfying manner by simple guesswork.
About Daniel: "Why does he have an American accent if he lived in England as a child, attended Oxford University, and both of his parents are English?"
Do we care?
I honestly feel like most of these questions are entirely unimportant. I mean honestly. I don't give a damn about most of these questions. Granted there are a few I'd like the answers to but for the most part I'm quite satisfied.
Out of principle, there is no way i am buying the season 6 dvd to watch something they should have found a way to include into the season. I will most likely download it or borrow it from a friend, they shouldnt do something like this to the fans.
Not answering all of these questions wasn't clever or by design. The most unanswered arcs come from the earlier seasons when they were making it up as they went along and had no clue about where they were going. While I'm glad they ended it, let's be honest: They ended it because they were about to go down the toilet in the ratings with the lame games they were playing and needed to assure watchers that they wouldn't continue to just jerk them around for 10 years. The last two seasons had a plan, but nothing could fix the early mess they made.
So many of the questions in the video are super picky and are just things that you have to take as givens in the show or have already been answered if you actually pay attention to the story.
I'm glad we didn't have those answers. It's what will make Lost unforgetable. I mean it's like david lynch movies, they wouldn't be so great if at the end of the movies we were given answers to the mysteries of the plot. It's the same for lost, if we knew what the island was, it would loose its magic.
also if any other show had even half of those unanswered questions we would all be condemning it for bad writing but since its lost its not bad writing.. kinda dumb.
yes! everyone get into V!!!!! its awesome!!!!
I agree with all the questions in that awesome vid and its not even all the questions I am still wondering. I could add to their list.
So true, Iam joining the V-team now! I was somewhat ok with the lost finale until, I was reminded of how many important Lost questions are still left unanswered. Dammit, I gave six years of my life to Lost, I feel so cheated.
1 thing: there are no answers...Lost is a Love and Redemption history, and sorry, but people were dumb enough and lazy not to ratiocinate the end.PEOPLE are starving for answer....but we dont even know in real life where we came from...if there are lifes in outer space...would u think that in a island where TIME TRAVEL is possible u would get ANSWERS??hahahahahahahalololololololhahahahaha...sorry for u.It's beyond our comprehension.

just another thing...:

ITS JUST A DAMN ISLAND...plz stop trying to curse the produces...the island is not a unsolved mistery!
Don't worry if you didn't like the ending. If the current trend of remakes and reimaginings continues there will probably be a new version of Lost 15 or so years from now.