Lost's Rodriguez chooses jail

Michelle Rodriguez, who plays the tough-talking ex-cop Ana Lucia in the hit TV show Lost, has chosen a $162 fine and five-day stint in Hawaiian jail over 240 hours of community service.

The punishment stems from a December 2005 incident in which Rodriguez and fellow Lost star Cynthia Watros were cited for drunk driving by Hawaiian police. The two had been bar-hopping and were pulled over in separate incidents just minutes apart.

Watros pleaded guilty in January, lost her license for 90 days, and paid a $370 fine. Yesterday, Rodriguez also pleaded guilty, and chose jail time over the lengthy community service.

As she was leaving the court, Rodriguez told reporters, "I kind of have to get back to my life, go back to making some money."

After the incident, rumors circulated that Rodriguez' character was going to be killed off because the actress was hard to work with. The show had previously killed off two other characters.

Show creator J.J. Abrams squelched the rumors when he said they were "just erroneous and silliness."

Watros, who plays the character Libby on the show, recently joined the cast of a CBS sitcom pilot for next season. Now, there is speculation over whether or not her character will be killed.

Well I guess Abrams just had a big surprise for us (yeah I was NOT surprised) by killing off Ana Lucia and Libby (who may or may not be dead with that pillow she was holding) As for Michael, yikes talk about brainwash. So I guess no more speculation about MR's stay on Lost.
Well hope she´s got some cigarettes for protection
She wins in the end on this one. She was released after only spending 65 hours in jail. They say because of time she spent in custody. I guess anyone would have chosen the meager $162 fine and 65 hours in jail over 240 hours of community service. Sure all of you ask why would she be so selfish to not want to help the community? Let's pretend she did choose the community service over jail time. What kind of community helping is she really going to do? We have the prisoners do the manual labor that the state doesn't want to pay people to do (i.e. roadside clean-up) she would end up doing something useless for the community. Let her get out of it easy; I am proud of her. Who really cares in the end anyways? Their mug shots will go in to some sort of internet infamously and we will forget about it in no time...
I would take the 5 days also, and I don't think she is a bad person just because she picks the 5 days, I think is normal, that many hours of comunity service are really A LOT. In ontario, in the 4 years that you go to hight-school you have to do 40 comunity hours service! in 4 years! and she would have to do much more, if she goes 5 days to jail she doesn't have to worry anymore. With this I'm not saying that is fair only 5 days, but if they let her pick what she wants is completly understable what she picked.
So everybody would pick the community time over the 5 days in jail? I don't think so. Furthermore she got caught the next day, probably thinking the had sobered up enough to be a responsable driver. Other people are a complete disaster on the road when they've used their medication or should wear glasses and get away with it.
Wow, incredible... I mean, it's irresponsible of Rodriguez to do that, but.. Amazing -- Think of what the penalties would be for a non-celebrity. Think it would be any less severe?? Or more severe??
Hell yea, 5 days is nothing. I would choose 5 days over 240hours community service any day.

Now they better not kill of Libby before I get some damn answers.
I don't blame her. I'm all for helping the community and have volunteered for stuff in the past.

But if given the choice to get it over with in 5 days, or spending months doing volunteering that may interfere with work I'll take the 5 days. Then again, I'm sure I'd be a lot worse off career-wise than her as I would have that jailtime on my record.

To top it off, I heard it's actually 4 days since the judge gave her 1 day credit for time served already.

Think of it. First, they're still filming the finale. With 4 days, she should be able to not interfere with shooting too much if they wait until she's out for her scenes.

Second, between a movie she's working on and probably other stuff she wants to do (commercials or even personal stuff) that volunteer would be a real pain with her schedule.
Pity it wasn't five years then the writers would have an excuse to write her annoying and pointless character out of the show.
to be fair, if I was her I'd have taken the week in a cell than 240 hours painting some underserving republican voting pr--k's picket fence.
That's a pretty light sentence considering what she has done in the past.

Here's her profile at Wikipedia...

I think she (or anyone like that) should gets her Driver's License suspended for life! Sooner or later she's going to hurt someone.

In November 2003, Rodriguez went to court to face eight misdemeanor charges based on two road incidents: On July 22, she left the scene of an accident after hitting another motorist. And on November 4, she sped through an intersection while under the influence of alcohol. She had a suspended license both times.

In June 2004, Rodriguez pleaded no contest in Los Angeles to three of the charges: hit and run, drunken driving, and driving with a suspended license. She went to jail for 48 hours, performed community service at the morgues of two New York hospitals, completed a three-month alcohol program, and was placed on probation for three years.

In 2005, while filming Lost in Hawaii, Rodriguez was pulled over by Honolulu police multiple times; she was cited for driving 83 mph in a 55 mph zone on Oahu on Nov. 1 and was fined $357, paid a $300 fine for driving 90 mph in a 35 mph zone on Oct. 20, was fined $197 for going 80 mph in a 50 mph zone on August 24th.

Rodriguez and her Lost costar, Cynthia Watros, who were driving in separate cars, were each pulled over and arrested on the morning of December 1, 2005 in Kailua, Hawaii. According to the arresting officers, the actresses were weaving in and out of traffic on Pali Highway, which connects Kailua and Honolulu. Rodriguez and Watros were arrested at 12:05 and 12:20 am, respectively, and both failed sobriety tests. They were booked at the main Honolulu police station for driving under the influence (Rodriguez was booked under the name "Mayte Michelle Rodriguez"). They were released on $500 bail.[4] Their police mugshots were posted at The Smoking Gun website. Rodriguez pleaded not guilty when arraigned, but on the day of her trial in April 2006, she pleaded guilty to one charge of driving under the influence. She chose to pay a $500 fine and spend five days in jail instead of doing 240 hours of community service.
I despise her.
Five days in jail is 120 hours. The community service is twice as much time, The commnuity service would take at 8 hours a day five days a week 6 weeks to complete. Interesting choice to give as a sentence. Ann
Oh, whatever. I doubt this will affect her position on Lost, as she's only gonna be gone for five days. And nice choice of picture for the article, making her look crazy and all. Very stupid touch... I hate the media.
they already finished taping the episodes for season 2.. thats why Michelle chose to stay for 5 days in prison.. after 5 days she is gone and dont have to deal with it anymore..
smart her.. i just wish everyone could do that and not just celebrities.. even though that shit is always gonna be on your record..
You wonder how their going to film Lost if she's in jail, but that's just 5 days (I'm sure they could do without her 5 days). If she'd taken the community service it might've created a bigger problem though. I mean filming Lost and doing the community service. Although there's always summer I suppose..
I think that Michelle is a good person and what she did was a mistake or on a accident but aleats she pleaded guitly and that she is telling the truth unlike LIL KIM
I always knew it would finally happen... her neckless does not go with that outfit lol

In a way it was smart of her to take the 5 days and not the 240 comm service.

It would take her about a month to do that much comm service.
Ah damn no edit button...

Anyway on a lighter note, perhaps she will come in the same prison as Scoffield, and she will want to join the gang to break out aswell. :D
In all honesty though, 240 hours is quite a lot, 5 days jail is much easier, any of you would have done the same, still i don't see why she was given this option, instead of paying back to society they will be serving her food and all for 5 days, which only costs money.
OK she is not into hard labour or helping the community, I get it. Get the 5 days over and done with and move on.

She does not seem a very responsible person and not a good role model, very self absorbed. :(
She'll probably do her jail time during Lost summer haiuats
Ana Lucia in jail?

Isn't she supposed to play Michelle on Lost?

5 days in a cell is nothing.

Now, if it was 5 years, she would not accept.

And she doesnt' want to help the community.

We get it!

We watched episode 8 from the second season of Lost!

She's ALONE in this world!

After I saw her on Punk´d, I wouldn't touch her with a 30-foot pole. Now, it's a 50-foot pole.
Who Cares? O And She's A JERK!
How is dhe gonna film Lost from Jail???
Sort of looks like she just doesnt want to do any hard labor that might help a community but thats my opinion
she needs some humility.
5 days in a comfy cell. What luxuries will she be granted? Michelle, you can make money out of this you know... use your wifi internet access from your cell, get up a webcam, put up a pay per view site and have people watch you in your cell 24/7 for those 5 days...

Now that's reality! Can they get the camera inside the jail?

• 8:00 pm