LucasFilm Cancels Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Delays Star Wars: Detours

Somewhere, the ghostly hologram projection of Obi-Wan Kenobi just stopped in his tracks and started sobbing. After five seasons, LucasFilm has decided to stop production on Cartoon Network's animated series set in George Lucas's imagination. The news was announced on StarWars.com today.

"After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series. While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content."

Yeesh. The StarWars.com site has a video from The Clone Wars' supervising director Dave Filoni explaining the situation, and while he's bummed about wrapping up the series, he's excited for the future of the Star Wars franchise and LucasFilm Animation's involvement in it, whatever that may be.

LucasFilm has also indefinitely postponed the future series Star Wars: Detours, from the Robot Chicken team. Apparently the company doesn't want to launch a new Star Wars franchise before the recently announced new trilogy of movies.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

So anyone else confused by this. I watched the video and they implied they are just winding down like to announce one more season but that's it or something like that. Now I'm hearing no all of it's dead but we may have a webisode or something to tie together Clone Wars and episode 3. It all seems weird to me like one part was really hoping for one more season while the business end killed it altogether.
I didn't realize this was news. I've watched the show from the beginning and had always heard that 5 seasons were all that were planned. Did something change that along the way and I missed it?
But that was with Lucas. I'm sure if they hadn't of started the next Star Wars movie Disney would most likely keep it going and possible put it on the Disney Channel and drop CN.
You will be right. I have hear that from someone who to Star Wars Weekend at Walt Disney World, that person was Ashley Eckstein, the voice of Ahsoka Tano the show Behind the Force: Star Wars Voices. So The Clone Wars will return.
Reading some comments here and people saying CN canceled it,LucasFilm..etc. WRONG!
If you watched that video,that has link to it(click "has a video") and you will see,who canceled it.

Dave Filloni says,that order came from up above(Disney),that all has to stop for the moment and focus on new trilogy.
CN isn't cancelling anything, this is all Disney's decision to pull the show to it's own network.
CN has canceled a lot of their good shows! I am going to miss Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but at least it got to last 4 1/2 seasons. While the idea of Disney doing Star Wars doesn't sound like a bad idea. As long as they aren't like the prequels like Attack of the Clones or The Phantom Menace. The only prequel I liked was the last one Revenge of the Sith.
Well, frankly, I've been unimpressed with most of the arcs since the end of Season 2. Season 3 had some minorly entertaining arcs but I've been bored with everything since. I'd rather see a movie or two -even direct to DVD- to round out the final arc (so we're not stuck with the ending of Ahsoka walking away) and then just letting the series go. There's only so much you can do with a series set between two movies anyway.
I don't know. I heard that they were just not producing the show for Cartoon Network any more. Instead new seasons would be coming to Disney XD or one of their other networks...
It's a shame since Star Wars: The Clone Wars is the best Star Wars (in motion media) to ever be released. Now they will feel the power of fizzling sales and IP properties. Toys, Lego, Games, etc. The Clone Wars was the marrow that kept the white blood cell count up to save this franchise. Now they deserve a slow, painful live-action death. Just like the first 3 prequels.
Actually, this isn't so bad at all. It seems that George Lucas couldn't let go the story of the Skywalkers for the last 30 years - at least for cinema and television. While setting the stone for a very vivid and extra ordinary universe(galaxy), he was maybe too scared or too arrogant to let it go and do something new - he just allowed it for games, books and comics.
Personally I would love to see the Old Republic come to live on the big screen. When I was younger, I really loved the stories of the great Sith War including Exar Kun, the brothers Cay and Ulic Qel-Droma and Nomi Sunrider, the saga building the historic background of the fantastic video-games "Knights of the Old Republic" I & II.
Lucasfilm did not cancel the series. cartoon network did . it will air somewhere else as per george lucas
No they didn't;-

"Turner Entertainment’s Cartoon Network only had the license for Clone Wars through the end of the 2012-13 season. Renewals had been done year by year. While Turner is believed to have wanted to continue, it is clear Disney has another vision for the Star Wars spinoffs."
I believe the translation for all that politics is ... 'The Robot Chicken team is too awesome for Disney's family friendly content".
man this just stinks. ive lost bout 4 shows this season i really enjoyed and now im losing another one. gonna miss watching CW. i really enjoyed the last arc with asoka.
Well this sucks. My wife and I really liked this show. It some great moments in it and I liked the portrayal of Anakin in this series better than the bitchy whiny one in the prequels. I imagine this is all Kathleen Kennedy's idea and based on this decision I have no hope about the upcoming trilogy. Some things are better left alone.
I miss Knights of the Old Republic...
Shouldn't it be "Disney Cancels..." and not LucasFilm,just because Disney owns them and they are it's bitch(in every sense of the word:D ) now.
I agree entirely with canceling the show. If they want to make more Star Wars stuffs, they should make something with real actors. A movie or TV show, no more animations. And I also think that the period of the Mandalorian wars from Knights of the Old Republic is a perfect place for a new movie or a show, but it must be with real people. No more animations.
Staff
Well, you're going to be really disappointed since they seem to be working on a new animated series:

"As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come."
Where did you find this lol
Staff
Um. In their blog post that was linked to in the story above.
I don't really to comment on things I've never seen, but I hate George Lucas. And thank god this series has ended. I like my Star Wars lore to be Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and then 4,5 and 6 because Mitochlorin, Jar-Jar Binks, "No!", Princess Panda Bear... Are all things I would rather forget about.
This series was actually pretty good, and is the only redeeming part of the prequels.
On another note - Star Wars: Detours postponement is a little sad. But its going to make them a ton of money, so I am sure it will come eventually. The idea is just too good.
"Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content."

Um... lemme guess. The Disney Channel. Duh.
I don't understand why people are surprised at this I personally thought it was a given since Disney now owns Lucasfilm, Is Cartoon Network part of Disney group? a=No so of course it was going to get canned. Anyway like others have already noticed there will be more content to continue the direction the stories were going, so as to give some resolution to the show. But in what format it has not been decided yet. One day we might even get that long awaited live action Star Wars show thats been talked about for years and never happened.
I really really hope that we get to see Ahsoka in Episode VII. It stands to reason that she (and possibly Ventris) managed to escape Order 66 and that Luke is led to her (or both of them) through the force or direction of Yoda or Ben. I think this is a brilliant move by Lucasfilms to bridge the gap between the Clone Wars and the original trilogy.

Ahsoka was at best 16/17 years old in the Clone Wars. There is about 20-25 years between the Clone Wars/Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope/Jedi, add another 20-25 years between Jedi and Episode VII and Ahsoka would only be in her late 60s at most! Plus we have no idea how her species age so her race could have a longer lifespan which guarantees we see her as a major character throughout the next three movies!

I recall reading somewhere the main protagonist would be a female. Everyone expects a Skywalker/Organa-Solo offspring but is that really the way it will happen? The force isn't a Skywalker exclusive and to limit this re-emerging franchise specifically to that family line seems short sighted and narrow minded. I think we will see many other new Jedi but Ahsoka is going to be our main girl and I am VERY excited about this! We could even have an Force Ghost Anakin and Ahsoka reunion which would be an interesting conversation to see unfold since they most likely had their goodbyes at the end of season five of the clone wars. I can totally picture Ahsoka placing her hand to (and through) the sad ghost face of Anakin when they catch up on what happened to him and Padme. I would imagine that she would blame herself for being too proud and stubborn to stick around and maybe saving Anakin from his fall from grace! If done right this could be EPIC!
The movies have generally been about the Skywalker family, so it would be expected that a seventh film would have a Skywalker child. It just wouldn't be a proper Star Wars sequel if they went with other characters.
But a seventh film absolutely must have Luke, however it could be hard to get Mark Hamill interested in it now. He's somewhat turned off Star Wars in the past decade.

It seems as if Fisher, Hammil and Ford are all on board with the new film. I think there will definitely be a Skywalker descendant or two in these films also. The Clone Wars is official cannon Star Wars though and with Ahsoka's departure from the Jedi order and disapearing into obscurity it is a pretty reasonable assumption that she survived the wiping out of the Jedi upon Order 66 being issued. It is also logical that other Jedi survived but if you do the math they'd have to be Ahsoka's age or younger to have any kind of real part in the new trilogy. Even Ahsoka would be older, Obi Wan Kenobi aged, but she would have training and knowledge of the Jedi that Luke wouldn't otherwise have access to without the assistance of force ghost Yoda or Ben. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end though!
Well hopefully the new films don't ignore Tim Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy so there would be three 20-something Skywalker Jedi's to occupy the screen.
Star Wars VII : Twilight on the Millenium Falcon
I wouldn't mind some adaption of Thrawn's trilogy but it has already been stated that these new films will be original stories and therefore probably have original canon (movies and the clone wars series) characters. They'd have to pay Zahn royalties if they used even a few of his characters and chances are Disney won't do that unless some high up exec insists on it, and even then still unlikely to happen. I think Ahsoka is probably a safer bet than anything from the Thrawn trilogies (sadly including Mara Jade!).
It's not a bad idea but it's highly unlikely since not every star wars fan watched the clone wars and wouldn't be as glad as you are with Ahsoka as the main character.
I don't think people will need to watch the Clone Wars per se to enjoy this concept. In fact, those that have not seen the Clone Wars might be motivated to go back and watch it... I don't know that I want Ahsoka as the main character either, but it'd be better than Jar Jar!
We'll see Ahsoka wielding a keyblade sometime soon I'm positive.
Sad to see it go...I really enjoyed watching this show. I hope some day it returns and finishes the story line.
You can bet that there will be more! I am thinking several animated shorts and/or direct to DVD movies or something along those lines. Some format that Disney can milk for every penny of course!
It's cool... Noel prepared us last week.
I've watched the series on and off all along, and I consider this ending a huge copout. They decide not to kill Ahsoka, so they kick her out of the order instead. The only problem here is that Sidious and Vader hunt down all Jedi, including as many with Force potential as they are aware of, so Ahsoka should still get killed. I would have preferred seeing her die and sending Anakin further towards the darkside than seeing this copout ending.
What the! Again! Why me! Why, I just start watching it...
So it's you!! All this time you wanted to see what people were watching and then the networks quickly found out and then plugged the plug on our happiness!!

I suppose you just started watching young justice a couple of weeks ago as well.. yeah you did.. you should really get rid of that t.v., your causing mayhem and you don't even know it!..

{Sarcasm... Sarcasm everywhere in this post}
Haha, Ah! I know it, I am cursed, seriously the list of shows that pulled away almost instantly when I get into them are getting very long now. Some shows are not that good but some are damn good. Terminator, V (The new one), House, Alphas, so many of them, case of total heart broken soul here. All those shows I was following from the start.

This one, I did watch at start but I didn't get into it. This season was the first season I follow from episode 1st to the end. And it ends.

And don't worry I haven't start watching Young Justice - regularly, only once in a while. I am planning to watch all of it at once.
Aww!
Actually, it says that they're not producing for Cartoon Network, but the video makes clear that some new content will be coming via an as-yet-to-be-named method - whether that method is airing the remaining season 5 and 6 content as individual TV movies, continuing the series on Disney XD, or selling them direct to video, The Clone Wars is not over yet.

Detours should be tossed out an airlock, that looked so awful. The comedy looked hamstrung by the kid-friendly format, and the look was just horrendous. No big loss there.

And we have the announcement of a new series coming, seems like most media outlets are overlooking that and the "not fully canceled yet" aspect.
Staff
I'm betting direct-to-video. I have my doubts that the leftover episodes from S5 and whatever's been completed for S6 will appear on a Disney-owned channel. They want a fresh clean show to run (hinted at in the blog post) if they're pulling this despite owning the property. I'd even wager a couple of dollars that Disney allows those episodes to be distributed by Warner Bros. as a settling of accounts. Might be cheaper than buying out their syndication and home video rights (which is what I bet this all boiled down to).
"whether that method is airing the remaining season 5 and 6 content as individual TV movies, continuing the series on Disney XD, or selling them direct to video, The Clone Wars is not over yet."

There is no remaining season 5 content. They aired the Season 5 finale the week before last.
Wrong. There was a three episode arc that they decided not to air, with plans to move it to season 6.
Ahsoka is a Disney princess

Staff
I hate being right.
This was a pretty great show. Loved all the stuff that was never in any Star Wars movie. I feel they wasted a lot of episodes on inconsequential stuff but the eps. that were great go down in Star Wars history in my opinion. Besides the Darth Maul stuff and the ending with Ashoka for Season 5, I feel this last season was the worst by far overall. But no need to worry since Disney will milk Star Wars like we've never known, haha.
They should give it a new name, put it on Disney XD and move the plot forward several months, assuming that it is possible (I'm not totally sure of the time between Episode II and III). One day I'd love to see the numbers for the animated shows that get canceled so I can better understand the decisions by networks to cancel certain shows. I'm sure this decision for Clone Wars has a lot to do with Disney but I want to better understand why Young Justice and Green Lantern are getting the ax.

It's a shame that some animated shows are marketed at kids and don't appeal to the 18-49 demographic since many of them have much better writing/storytelling than the stuff that survives in network prime time.
Staff
Bruce Timm said at Emerald City Comiccon that toy sales, or rather that no toy manufacturer wanted to make toys for GLTAS (failure of the movie toys to sell), pretty much axed the show. (Toy licenses help offset the cost of programs.)

By that logic, the sluggish sales of Young Justice toys probably contributed to things as well.
It's a shame that so much of their success or failure is based on toy sales. It would be great if a non-comedy animated show were aired for an adult prime time audience. I imagine most networks don't want to try since there is still a stigma that these are "kid's shows" and they assume it wouldn't find an audience. Shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show kind of fit that idea but I'd like to see it applied to a comic book license and serialized.

I wonder what the actual production cost of an episodes of GL or YJ is.
That's a shame. The problem with YJ was that Mattel was the wrong company to produce product, and the product they produced sucked, and it hit before demand had built up, and demand built up slowly because Cartoon Network did such a poor job building up interest in the show by not airing the show in prime slots or rerunning it during the week or even keeping its timeslot consistent.

I wonder if GL automatically is difficult to market by virtue of the heroes all dressing alike, I know I got sick of seeing that in the movie line (but I didn't see the movie or care for its product line in any way).

As for Clone Wars, Hasbro's been struggling at market with it, but I suspect the slow sales weren't a major factor in this situation compared to the new ownership of Lucasfilm.
Staff
Nah, definitely not a merchandising issue in this case.

GL might be difficult to market for that reason. Plus the whole Interceptor space-jet is a blatant toy vehicle grab.
this sucks for the Cartoon Network IMO Disney had something to do with the decision , question is will SWTCW pop up on Disney
Not surprised, they're canceling everything else. I wasn't a fan of The Clone Wars but I know it was popular. I really hope they are replacing these shows with something worthy.
Disney power play...
Exactly. Clean house and move production in-house.
It's not surprising. This past season hasn't been as good as previous ones. And the show has produced over 100 episodes. Most (western) cartoons are deliberately ended at 65 ended or less. Besides, if you consider the recent ownership changes with the franchise, and that a successful animated series could draw viewers away from a potential live-action series, it's not surprising. And add to that the fact that the next movie is suppose to take place after the original series, long after the Clone Wars, it's understandable that they would want to end this series. It's much the same as the way they tend to end a superhero cartoon series before the next movie franchise comes out.
Staff
Clone Wars was always conceived of as being 100 episodes, even at the earliest stages of its development. I remember Filoni discussing the episode count in interviews prior to the show's launch. The independence of Lucasfilm Animation coupled with the brand strength of Star Wars made it possible. Nothing to do with quality.
Obi-wan about Lucasfilm's decision to cancel The Clone Wars:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
It hit Obi-Wan especially hard because he was still recovering from the disturbance in the Force he felt when Cartoon Network cancelled Green Lantern and Young Justice.
"LucasFilm has decided to stop production on Cartoon Network's animated series set in George Lucas' imagination."

Sorry but that's not the case as the quote in your piece goes on to say.

Sure, they won't be on the Cartoon Network but the clear implication is that a final series will be produced and shown somewhere whether that's a Disney channel or online.

I think you're jumping the gun just a little bit.
Staff
The wording's off, but the intent is still correct: The episodes are no longer being produced for Cartoon Network.

Given how their own post frames the idea of future arcs as "bonus content," I'm not even sure they'll air on a Disney-owned channel. I'm guessing a direct-to-video release, either as bonus episodes for the Season 5 set, or a "Lost Episodes" sort of boxed set.
I believed in the force and this is what I get?!
All this anger, I can't ... control ... my feelings ... must embrace ... the dark side ... complete ...
(flashing a RED lightsaber)
I'm pretty sure this is Disney trying to get every dollar out of Star Wars for themselves. With Young Justice and Green Lantern being canceled I have little reason to watch Cartoon Network anymore. So Sad.
i'm more disappointed about green lantern and young justice
As someone who enjoyed this series with my family, and as a super-invested Star Wars nerd, I think this is actually good news for the series, and for the franchise.

There's only so much that can reasonably happen in a three- or four-year span of time, even in a galaxy far, far away. The last episode provided a kinda-depressing-but-fitting ending for the one main character whose fate was unknown to us, since we already know what happens to most of the others from the third prequel film. Trying to stretch the series out, even for just one more season, would have broken my suspension of disbelief.

And it was already pretty stretched.
The last episode was a decent way of ending it, with no real loose ends or plot lines as far as continuity with the films goes