Iron Fist's Finn Jones Says It Will Take a "Couple Seasons" for Danny to Become a Superhero

The world gets its first dose of Marvel's Iron Fist on Friday when Netflix debuts the first 13 episodes of Danny Rand's (Finn Jones) origin story.

Iron Fist follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and is the last solo hero series before Netflix debuts The Defenders -- a street level version of The Avengers that will combine the aforementioned four heroes into one dynamic team. This latest superhero chapter tells the story of Danny Rand, a young man who loses his parents in a plane crash when he's 10 years old and gets saved by mystical Buddhists who train him in ancient marital arts. He returns to his home of New York City to reclaim his identity, his father's billion dollar company and to use his powers to protect the city that never sleeps.

Iron Fist differs from its predecessor series not only because Danny comes from privilege, but because he doesn't become a full-fledged hero by the end of his first arc.

"Danny has a long way to go before he earns the title of being a superhero," Jones told TVGuide.com and other members of the press in a New York roundtable interview. "What we see in the first season, Danny isn't a superhero yet. He hasn't earned the right to attain that title. He has a lot of individual things he has to deal with before he can claim that identity."

Instead, Danny spends the first season of Iron Fist piecing together the contradictory parts of who he is -- an heir to a billion dollar corporation and a powerful Buddhist warrior. Realizing that he can be both was a difficult first step for the young man stuck between childhood and becoming a man.

"I think throughout the series that Danny realizes the world isn't just black and white. It's gray and being okay with that grayness. It's being okay with being a billionaire titan of industry and also being a Buddhist and a spiritual warrior," Jones said. "You can be both things. The world isn't black and white. Danny's journey is about finding out the grayness of it."

Iron Fist reviews: What the critics are saying about the newest Defender

Part of Danny's evolution comes through the clothes that he wears, and it's important that he doesn't exactly find the Iron Fist costume that fans might recognize from the comic books. Jones admits that it might be a few seasons before Danny reaches a level before he can truly be the hero he's destined to be.

"The first couple of episodes you see Danny kind of awkwardly fitting into suits. He's not used to this. He's in a suit and it doesn't feel right. Then he's in regular clothes and it still doesn't feel right. He's trying to find his identity," Jones explains. "Eventually throughout the series he kind of claims some kind of identity through his clothes -- but we've got a couple more seasons to go before we get to that point."

There will definitely be more Danny Rand in The Defenders, set to premiere later this year, but will there be more time for Iron Fist to find himself on his own? Only Netflix can tell.

Iron Fist premieres on Netflix on March 21.

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Mar 21, 2017
It is difficult to work out which element of the show they got worse. The casting is terrible. Having your 'living weapon' looking more like 'Shaggy' out of Scooby Do is a major failing. Again with the angst! We get the tortured hero bit but he walked around like a spoiled 2 year old throwing a hissy fit every time he was supposed to display the Zen-like calm. He was the most emotionally unstable character in the cast. Why the elder monks (I know they are not real) chose to give this bozo the Iron Fist is beyond me. They must have been smoking something and laughing like hyenas.
The dialogue was torturous and led to some very loooong boring episodes where not a lot went on. Entire episodes were wasted.
A minor tragedy was the use of Tom Pelphrey. If anyone saw him in Banshee he has the ability to play a real hard-edged badass. To have him playing the wimpy drug-dependant loser to Finn's emotionally unstable drip of an Iron Fist showed just how wrong they got this show.
How they are going to dig this show out of the dirt I don't know. A major dose of testosterone for Finn, emotional counseling and five days a week for months in the gym might help immensely. At least his voice might drop. New writers are a must, anyone with a pulse would help.

Could someone make better use of Rosario Dawson by the way. In previous shows, Dare Devil and the others she was exceelent, a real plot mover. She was just a total neg head in this show. 'That's no good', 'this won't work', 'she's not right for you', who did she upset?

Mar 20, 2017
It's the worst casting in the history of television. The comic book Iron Fist is the baddest of badasses. This Iron Fist is a hipster version of Ally McBeal who's marginally more masculine.

Why is there such a rush to feminize these great comic book characters?
Mar 19, 2017
Just bingo watched it and I am surprised to find someone more dumber
than the Flash (as he portrayed in the CW show not the general comic character which I love) .I call the Flash show the dumb show but this Iron Fist is much more dumber I just needed to watch the all season to see how dumb can a person be. It just made me laugh.

Mar 19, 2017
I'll be talking about SPOILERS! so if you haven't seen it yet just stop reading now.

I just binge watched it and I liked it but I thought the ending was pretty terrible. I already expected the warrior monk guy that was once friends with Danny to come back as an enemy next season because of how Danny left K'un-Lun when he was supposed to stay there and guard it instead but what were they thinking making Joy also an enemy of Dannys?
I mean it makes 0 sense, Literally nothing that happened to her was Dannys fault it was her fathers, Even if she still doesn't know her father killed Dannys parents she obviously still was on Dannys side, I mean the last episode she just stormed into her dads office demanding answers about whether or not he had framed Danny and then like 15 mins later shes ready to kill Danny? Wait what?
Another thing that was surprising to me was how annoying the character Claire was in this, I like her character and love that shes in all these marvel shows and there's always stuff they bring up that connects the series but in this show I feel she over stayed her welcome a little bit there at the end. She just became annoying trying to push her pointless opinions around that wasted a lot of screen time imo. I mean we get it you don't like violence but you hang around warriors that are here to basically protect earth. Shut up already lol.
I get that shows want to end it on a cliffhanger of some sort to make you want to see what happens next but this one just left me annoyed and confused.
Again I liked the show I think it was better than Luke Cage but the ending made no sense to me and a few of the episodes especially the later ones that went heavy with the character Claire dragged on a bit.

Mar 19, 2017
This perfectly sums up the issues I had with it.
Mar 19, 2017
this series isn't too bad, just binge watched it, the only thing is they need a better fight choreographer, either that or very few of them actually have any kind of martial arts experience. which would be a sad story for this series. guess we will have to wait and see if it makes it to a 2nd season.
Mar 19, 2017
The fighting was just fine. I think they just wanted a new style of fighting compared to Daredevil (he feel more like a martial arts brawler). This feels more kung-fu-ish to me, more stylish. But then again, I´m no expert.
Mar 20, 2017
Watch literally any episode of Badlands on AMC and compare the two. It should have been at least that good.
Mar 21, 2017
Well sure, a show about a martial arts expert should have blown us away with their fighting sequenses. It shouldn't just have been "Fine", which it was.
Mar 21, 2017
Parts of it were fine. They might have made a mistake with Finn Jones as someone that has studied various martial arts since I was a kid and taught them for about 10 years. He isn't very good. Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing was great. She and the random guard in China had the best fight of the season with their sword fight and then her vs Bukuto. When one of your secondary characters has better fight scenes then the lead character, you might have a problem.

I agree it is fine, but overall this was kind of similar to AOS first season. The good thing about that is that AOS righted the ship. We shall see if Iron Fist does the same.
Mar 17, 2017
CBS reports a lot of stuff wrong, this time they changed the date to try and tank iron fists ratings a bit lol. That or Tim Surette effed up for the 1 billionth time edotor
Mar 18, 2017
Tim Surrette stinks
Mar 17, 2017
OMG! It's not the end of the world people because the wrong date was listed. I swear most of the people that come on TV.com come on just to find all the mistakes. These writers are human after all. Do you write letters to the editor when you find mistakes in a newspaper? How do you function being the only ones in the world?
Mar 17, 2017
17th, not 21th!

An editor's job is to get the facts and Megan failed at getting the right date.
Mar 17, 2017
I need to learn to learn these marital arts Megan is talking about. Also, it's the 17th, ... it's today, ... if that helps
Mar 17, 2017
21st? It's 17th!
Mar 17, 2017
Hey DON'T complain it's a good article from tvguide.com! Sooo it's only four days out it's good for them!